Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Angry Diners Confront Mitch McConnell In Louisville Restaurant

Furious customers confronted Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) at a Louisville restaurant on Friday, with one telling him to “leave the country alone.”

That diner also warned other customers: “They’re going to come for your Social Security.”

McConnell recently made headlines when he said that programs such as Social Security need to be cut to help make up for the Trump administration’s $779 billion budget deficit, the highest mark for that figure in six years.

The deficit has grown in the wake of the Republican Congress approving a big boost in military spending and massive tax cuts that were especially generous for corporations. McConnell, however, wants to target Social Security, Medicaid and Medicare for cost reductions as the way to respond to the deficit.

Customer Casey Leek told The Louisville Courier-Journal that a woman confronted McConnell at the Cuban restaurant Havana Rumba, calling him a “traitor” as other diners clapped and cheered.

Then another angry diner captured on video obtained by TMZ harangued McConnell as he sat quietly with his wife, Transportation Secretary Elaine Chao.

”Why don’t you get out of here? Why don’t you leave the entire country alone?” the unidentified customer asked.

Leek said the man grabbed McConnell’s to-go box of leftovers and dumped the food on the sidewalk outside. Other diners appeared to speak up to support the protester — with one yelling “Ditch Mitch” — while some urged him to leave the senator alone. USA Today said as many as four men confronted McConnell, though only one was captured on video.

The woman who recorded the video told TMZ the diner was protesting McConnell’s threats to cut Social Security and health care programs.

Leek posted on Facebook: “Dinner with the bestie gets exciting when Ditch McConnell sits behind you and people start screaming at him and Elaine in the middle of Havana Rumba.”

McConnell later thanked people who supported him in the clash and shook hands with some of them, according to TMZ.

McConnell spokesman Robert Steurer referred to the confrontations as “left-wing tantrums” in a statement to the Courier-Journal.

Havana Rumba apologized for the encounters in a Facebook post. “We deeply regret the incident that took place at our restaurant this weekend,” it said. “We strongly believe everyone should feel welcome and safe in our restaurants.”

McConnell has been confronted by members of the public a number of times over his policies, including earlier this month as he walked through Washington’s Reagan National Airport where he was challenged over his concerted push to win Brett Kavanaugh confirmation to the Supreme Court.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61October 26, 2018 2:16 AM

They should have beaten him to a bloody fucking PULP!

by Anonymousreply 1October 22, 2018 5:26 AM

Turn that closet case creep into turtle soup.

by Anonymousreply 2October 22, 2018 5:27 AM

I hope this happens to those treasonous GOP pigs, more often.

Publicly shame those motherfuckers!

by Anonymousreply 3October 22, 2018 5:29 AM

A Cuban restaurant in Louisville?

Looks to me like Mitch went looking to get yelled at and got yelled at.

by Anonymousreply 4October 22, 2018 5:30 AM

Does no one have tar? Does no one have feathers?

by Anonymousreply 5October 22, 2018 5:34 AM

He better stick to Cracker Barrel

by Anonymousreply 6October 22, 2018 5:44 AM

At the same time, Pelosi got the same treatment in a Cuban restaurant in Miami. So fair is fair, I guess? She wasn't happy about it.

by Anonymousreply 7October 22, 2018 5:44 AM

What did they attack her about, R7?

"Stop giving us health insurance!"

"Stop giving us lower taxes!"

"Stop protecting Social Security and Medicare!"

"Stop trying to give us breathable air and drinkable water!"

by Anonymousreply 8October 22, 2018 5:53 AM

So weird, not weird that he went to a working class Cuban restaurant. If he had gone to a high class joint he would have been afforded all of the protections of his class. Did he go there to incite and then go "See, I told you about all of these lower-class slobovians I kept warning you about."

by Anonymousreply 9October 22, 2018 6:03 AM

Definitely living out a fantasy of mine. So many Repubs need to be rudely confronted on the streets.

by Anonymousreply 10October 22, 2018 6:03 AM

W/W for you R10 - but honey, it is never rude to confront the rude.

by Anonymousreply 11October 22, 2018 6:30 AM

Visual Aide

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12October 22, 2018 6:44 AM

R9 I don't know where you got your information, but there is nothing working class about Havana Rumble.

The entrée are in the $20+ range and the starters are $7-$12.

In Louisville that's high-mid level dining. Funny that people here pounced on the idea that McConnell staged this. I imagine it was quite the reverse. He and the Missus likely thought that a upper range Cuban restaurant was a safe space if there ever was one.

by Anonymousreply 13October 22, 2018 7:05 AM

Doesn't anyone wonder if McConnell and "bride" went to this working to middle class Cuban establishment wishing to provoke hostility that might lead to aggression? They only got civil disobedience in response. It's reminiscent of Stephen Miller's and Kristjen Nielsen's (of Homeland Security) appearances at Mexican restaurants in D.C. right after anti-immigrant fusillades that served as both a thumb in the nose of opponents and a rallying call to base bigots who loathed Mexicans, while both serving as thumb in the eye aggressive acts daring the opposition?

by Anonymousreply 14October 22, 2018 7:19 AM

Umm, no. As I said above @R14 going to a chic Cuban restaurant which is far from working class has nothing in common with a Republican going to a restaurant hoping for trouble. And from the response released by the restaurant it's pretty clear how they felt about the rude response.

Throwing someone's leftover bag on the street is not a good look.

by Anonymousreply 15October 22, 2018 7:57 AM

Are you saying their price list is outside the limits of working to middle class folks? It sure looks like their decor is meant for them. A Trojan pig, then?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16October 22, 2018 8:09 AM

Mitch McConnell was only there to score some hot Cuban cock!

by Anonymousreply 17October 22, 2018 8:13 AM

Gonna suck for Maxine Waters when the backlash hits her

by Anonymousreply 18October 22, 2018 8:13 AM

My question too, R9. Reminds me of when Ivanka flew coach and painted herself as a victim of the evil mean working class bullies who said something to her about her fascist father.

by Anonymousreply 19October 22, 2018 8:15 AM

Why aren't the Democrats quoting what McConnell said about Social Security and Medicare? There are a lot of people, including those Deplorables who rely on SSI.

by Anonymousreply 20October 22, 2018 8:39 AM

As long as minorities get screwed as well they’re willing to lose their own coverage. CNN showed the Trump supporter saying he was fine with dying losing his coverage.

by Anonymousreply 21October 22, 2018 8:59 AM

Fear and hate is what the GOP run on.

by Anonymousreply 22October 22, 2018 9:03 AM

Is McConnell wearing a sweater vest or is that a jacket vest?

by Anonymousreply 23October 22, 2018 9:19 AM

R16 Décor does not equal price. Back in 1983 when K Paul's Louisiana Kitchen opened on Royal St. in the French Quarter it was a very small room with linoleum floors and Formica topped tables. The line began forming at 3 PM for the 6:30PM opening at which time the crème de la crème of New Orleans foodies paid $30-$40 (no small amount 35 years ago) to dine at the hottest restaurant in the country.

I looked at the menu of Cuba Rumba. I have a winter house in Miami. If you think working class people are going to spend $6 for a cup of soup, $8 for a house salad, and entrees all in the $20-$30 range, then you must have a very different working class wherever you live. We have a great number of Cuban joints where one can eat quite well for the price of a salad at CR. Also, I did not say that a working class person could never afford it-- I said it could never be termed a spot which caters to the hoi polloi.

Face it everyone: the scenario which has The Turtle selecting this spot in hopes of creating a scene just doesn't hold water. The owners seem to like him, and unlike the Mexican restaurant incident in Washington, DC, The Turtle WAS ELECTED BY THE PEOPLE OF KY. The bitch in DC was just an employee of Trump's. I think it's fair to imagine that there are a good number of SDF residents who actually like McConnell,

And even if they don't like him, they voted for him.

by Anonymousreply 24October 22, 2018 12:10 PM

It wouldn't surprise me if this was a staged event. The rethugs plan is to depict the dems as an unruly mob.

by Anonymousreply 25October 22, 2018 1:42 PM

This warms my heart. These greedy nazi twats seem to get away with everything, so if public shaming is it for us then bring it on.

by Anonymousreply 26October 22, 2018 1:47 PM

[quote]Does no one have tar? Does no one have feathers?

Sorry, no.

I do have a few iffy cotton balls left over from the mid-nineties.

by Anonymousreply 27October 22, 2018 1:50 PM

I would think McConnell would have Secret Service protection. Why do the doofus sons of DT and his clan get that type of protection but not this guy? Mind you, everything McConnel stands for is nauseating - he is destroying the Senate with his winner takes all strategy - but him walking around unprotected in gun crazy America seems like a recipe for disaster. (Though it would be ironic. )

by Anonymousreply 28October 22, 2018 1:55 PM

Confrontation is fine. Grabbing someone's takeout isn't.

by Anonymousreply 29October 22, 2018 1:57 PM

I don't think they should throw food, pound on the table, scream or steal their doggy bag.

But I do think a sincere comment to any Republican - while looking directly into their eyes is a great idea! Say it so it stays with them.

I am waiting to run into Congresswoman Barbara Comstock. I usually do see her at some event. And I have practiced what I am going to say to her.

We have to learn not to do what makes us feel better. But do what is effective.

by Anonymousreply 30October 22, 2018 2:02 PM

r28 Capitalists are rich, politicians are not that rich, and not quite as important.

by Anonymousreply 31October 22, 2018 2:07 PM

R28, the protestors in that staged event WERE the Secret Service.

by Anonymousreply 32October 22, 2018 2:12 PM

ENOUGH with the duplicate threads!

Worse than McConnell!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33October 22, 2018 2:14 PM

Honestly, I wish someone would just take their gun ouasshole.oot the goddamn asshole.

by Anonymousreply 34October 22, 2018 2:16 PM

R33 is a tranny on wheels.

by Anonymousreply 35October 22, 2018 2:19 PM

Did they ask him about his brief but scandalous stint in the military?

Come on twitter, do your thing!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36October 22, 2018 2:55 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37October 22, 2018 3:05 PM

R37 oh yuck! Put a disclaimer b4 posting disgusting crap like that.

by Anonymousreply 38October 22, 2018 3:08 PM

Pure evil in the guise of a doofus face, r37.....

by Anonymousreply 39October 22, 2018 3:10 PM

He's never been attractive

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40October 22, 2018 3:14 PM

So fake, so staged. "Angry Man" is a really bad actor. I doubt if the McConnells even eat in restaurants.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41October 22, 2018 4:00 PM

I want him to be interviewed about his sketchy few months in the military.

He needs to explain the sudden discharge.

by Anonymousreply 42October 22, 2018 4:16 PM

Was it a milky discharge?

by Anonymousreply 43October 22, 2018 4:24 PM

It wouldn't surprise me if it was a setup, he seems too calm and he has that weird smirk on his face. The one time he really got confronted by protestors he looked truly panicked and he jumped in the car and let his equally crooked wife face them while he cowered.

by Anonymousreply 44October 22, 2018 4:42 PM

It seems to be just one protester and he appears to be a republican

by Anonymousreply 45October 22, 2018 4:49 PM

This shit is getting old.

by Anonymousreply 46October 22, 2018 4:50 PM

All the Rethuglicans are dining out, hoping to be confronted. It gets them free publicity right before an election and they can suck Trump's dick by using his "angry mob" theme.

Yertle has security, they were there. He was never in any danger and if he wanted to keep people away from his table, he could have done so. He didn't. This is the story he wanted.

by Anonymousreply 47October 22, 2018 5:00 PM

That thread was started by a Repub troll, R33.

by Anonymousreply 48October 22, 2018 5:12 PM

I kind of was against behaving like this towards politicians, but my god, they are raiding the coffers of our gov't and not leveling the playing field for us regular ppl.. So, if that's what has to be done to get the point across to ppl in power then so be it.

by Anonymousreply 49October 22, 2018 7:04 PM

I'm on board with r44. It seems so odd that the guy seems to be overacting argumentative points to the crowd in that room and not simply shrieking vehement hatred at that asshole McConnell like most of us would probably do. McConnell didn't look the least bit phased - a little too nonchalant, if you will. I would think that instead of leisurely sitting there, he would have left to avoid any escalating uneasiness. It's hard to tell from that clip though. I would have liked to see how the whole thing ended in its entirety.

And what's up with the bitch taping it and saying "Imma sell it to TMZ"?

by Anonymousreply 50October 22, 2018 11:58 PM

Please, someone pay this guy more than McConnell and the RNC paid him to tell his story about how they hired him and got him the script, etc. No way Turtle and his asshole wife just sit there calmly. No way.

by Anonymousreply 51October 23, 2018 5:12 AM

[quote] He needs to explain the sudden discharge

He got caught sucking cock in the latrine.

by Anonymousreply 52October 23, 2018 7:36 AM

If he had jumped up and run out of there it would have made him look like a coward. A weaselly coward,

I genuinely do not think it was staged. I think the guy seems to be overacting because he likely was tipped off that The Turtle would be there and he practiced the verbal attack in front of his mirror. A spontaneous confrontation would have been much more effective. Also, had he cited a personal connection, such as "My 88 year old granny is eating cat food because of you and the Reps" that would make folks more sympathetic.

Lou a ville is pretty damn conservative except for the black population, and as you can see, there were no POCs there. I think that 3/4 of the diners were disgusted and the other 1/4 were too southern polite to join in. The throwing of the food is where he lost most people according to various message boards and sites. NO ONE likes McConnell. He is like Crews in that way. Absolutely not one person likes Crews, but some vote for him because of the bigger picture. Well, it's similar with Kentuckians and Yertle.

by Anonymousreply 53October 23, 2018 8:10 AM

[quote]If he had jumped up and run out of there it would have made him look like a coward. A weaselly coward,

He's done exactly that before when confronted because he IS a weaselly coward.

by Anonymousreply 54October 23, 2018 5:13 PM

[quote]He needs to explain the sudden discharge

No doubt it involved penicillin.

by Anonymousreply 55October 23, 2018 5:16 PM

And it was milky

R43

by Anonymousreply 56October 23, 2018 5:57 PM

It's too bad that Trump doesn't eat in restaurants.

by Anonymousreply 57October 23, 2018 6:04 PM

Trump eats out of a private trough.

by Anonymousreply 58October 23, 2018 10:08 PM

They guy had the chance to ask about the shady stint in the military and he blew it!

by Anonymousreply 59October 23, 2018 10:35 PM

I love how all of these white nationalist hypocritical Repug assholes are constantly eating at Mexican, Cuban, etc. restaurants when they are confronted. Why don't they go to Boston Market or get a damn burger or some other "white" food.

by Anonymousreply 60October 24, 2018 1:40 AM

Well I guess this was the prelude to things getting nuttier with people sending bombs in the mail.

by Anonymousreply 61October 26, 2018 2:16 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!