Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I think I'd like a summer home and a winter home

My winter home would be in Palm Springs, and my summer home would be in upstate New York. Westchester County always seemed nice. Thoughts?

by Anonymousreply 31October 23, 2018 8:54 PM

Love the concept, OP, although I've never been to either spot so can't comment on that specifically. If funds were of no consequence I'd take a flat in London for winter and one a renovated country house somewhere near Wiltshire or the Cotswolds for the summer months. Ah, dreams.

by Anonymousreply 1October 21, 2018 11:10 PM

Upstate would be boring. If we’re fantasizing, I understand the place below The Evening Punctuationist on Park Avenue is available. $32 million, but it’s a duplex. Does not come with its own Randolf. Do you play Whist? Well, you can learn.

by Anonymousreply 2October 21, 2018 11:12 PM

Just buy one home in St Louis instead.

by Anonymousreply 3October 21, 2018 11:13 PM

Palm Springs, January to March Cape Cod/Ptown July to September Rest of the time right where I am now.

by Anonymousreply 4October 21, 2018 11:16 PM

Westchester is not "upstate"

by Anonymousreply 5October 21, 2018 11:16 PM

R5, If you live on Park Avenue, Yonkers is upstate.

by Anonymousreply 6October 21, 2018 11:19 PM

It's hard enough to keep up with dealing with the issues of owning one house let alone two.

by Anonymousreply 7October 21, 2018 11:20 PM

My winter home will be in the Antarctica and my summer home will be underwater.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8October 21, 2018 11:27 PM

Summer Wisconsin, winter Charleston.

by Anonymousreply 9October 21, 2018 11:27 PM

Westchester is not really considered upstate.

by Anonymousreply 10October 21, 2018 11:29 PM

I think I'd like a cricket or a beetle for summer and winter.

by Anonymousreply 11October 21, 2018 11:34 PM

All the Australians/Brits I've met over the last month rent or sublet their homes while traveling two months a year. I don't know their finances, but they seem to be able to go wherever they please.

For me it would be Mercer Island and Panama City.

by Anonymousreply 12October 21, 2018 11:37 PM

Summer in Nantucket and winter in Key West. I like islands.

by Anonymousreply 13October 21, 2018 11:37 PM

I'd want a home I could use for both seasons, preferably something in the mountains...Catskills, Poconos, Adirondacks, the Berkshires.

by Anonymousreply 14October 21, 2018 11:48 PM

Puerto Vallarta in Winter, a small island off the coast of maine in summer. Already doing it. I’ve given up a few things to be able to afford it but I’m very happy.

by Anonymousreply 15October 22, 2018 12:02 AM

Winter in a city like NYC or London; summer in the French countryside somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 16October 22, 2018 12:03 AM

A floor in NYC, weekends out Long Island, Amagansett.

by Anonymousreply 17October 22, 2018 12:04 AM

we are going to be doing the Palm Springs/Traverse City circuit.

by Anonymousreply 18October 22, 2018 12:10 AM

I love Westchester County but it’s $$$ and taxes are ridiculous and nearly everyone has kids, or they’d live in the city and avoid $30-$40K a year in local taxes. Def not upstate by any means.

by Anonymousreply 19October 22, 2018 12:14 AM

I'd have to have three: Wilton Manors, Palm Springs and either P-town or Fire Island. Plus I'd do a couple gay cruises each year.

by Anonymousreply 20October 22, 2018 12:16 AM

Bainbridge Island/Maui

by Anonymousreply 21October 22, 2018 12:20 AM

R18, Traverse City in the summer and Fall is awesome! Winter, not so much.

We are wintering in Palm Springs this year. We go somewhere different every year. The last two years were Australia the year before was a four month road trip through the Southern U.S. Then through the North in late Spring.

by Anonymousreply 22October 22, 2018 12:27 AM

Live up in the mountains during the summer. High elevation where it's cooler.

by Anonymousreply 23October 22, 2018 12:45 AM

Westchester gets hot and humid in the summer. Maybe Maine instead.

by Anonymousreply 24October 22, 2018 12:48 AM

While I could afford to do it, I just think it would be a hassle to maintain two houses and always be worrying about what was going on in the empty one. Are you planning to drive between the two locations (a looooong trip, obviously.) Because if you fly, there's only so much you can bring with you, so you'd have to have duplicates of many items.

by Anonymousreply 25October 22, 2018 1:04 AM

I've had a winter/summer home OP (Chicago/Phoenix), and ... I really can't recommend it. If you are rich, sure, knock yourself out, but otherwise ....

Who is going to take care of the place 6 months out of the year? Check pipes? A/C? Yard?

Owning a second home is not cheap and (even more so now) the tax deduction isn't what it was. Long term, you may make money on the property, but you have to factor in what you put in.

When I finally sold my 2nd home, I did make a fair amount of money. I doubt I really came out ahead in the long (13 years) run though. Just do AirBNB,

by Anonymousreply 26October 22, 2018 1:19 AM

Can be done, especially if winter home is main-home and summer home is a holiday/weekend one. Do no more than a 2.5-3 hour drive. Or train trip. Like LIRR out to Hamptons. 4:19 east, arrival 7:10. Quicker on summer trains. Or do any drive down to Jersey Shore or up to Connecticut or upstate NY. Don't know other areas, but an apartment in Chicago, say, and a weekend house elsewhere one'd want to go to, well, life can be fun.

by Anonymousreply 27October 23, 2018 8:20 PM

Westchester is nice only if it have a family. The taxes are insanely high and most of it goes to the schools, which are generally excellent.

by Anonymousreply 28October 23, 2018 8:30 PM

NYC base with a cheap weekend house upstate or Berkshires for spring, summer fall. 3 month rental somewhere warm Jan-Mar. - Tampa, South Texas or Tucson.

by Anonymousreply 29October 23, 2018 8:34 PM

We have an apartment in Manhattan and a home on the Big Island in Hawaii. We spend May/June and November/December in NYC and the rest of the time in Hawaii. When we're not in NY, we Airbnb the apartment. In both cases, we use a maintenance company to manage the properties when we're not there.

It may sound expensive, but it's actually quite manageable. We don't have a mortgage, and no credit card balances. Also, I have lots of frequent flyer miles to get us back and forth. We both are in good health, and so far, it's worked well.

by Anonymousreply 30October 23, 2018 8:38 PM

Nice life R30. Congrats.

by Anonymousreply 31October 23, 2018 8:54 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!