Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

‘Halloween’ Slashes Franchise Record With $77.5 Million Launch

And those untalented bitches say there are no roles for women over 40. Well, there are if you can ACT.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65November 5, 2018 1:53 AM

[quote]“Halloween” is Curtis’ biggest opening to date, as well as the best horror opening with a female lead. It’s also the biggest launch ever with a female lead over 55 years old.

by Anonymousreply 1October 21, 2018 6:34 PM

[quote]And those untalented bitches say there are no roles for women over 40. Well, there are if you can ACT.

It's Halloween, and she's having to do the same role that she did a million years ago. Carrie Fisher couldn't get work and had to go back and do the same role she did a million years ago, too. Yes, there are no roles, and no, these roles don't require acting. This isn't Oscar caliber shit.

by Anonymousreply 2October 21, 2018 6:37 PM

There are more roles for older actresses in television than there are in film.

by Anonymousreply 3October 21, 2018 6:37 PM

She's amazing in the film. I'm so glad it's such a huge commercial and critical success.

by Anonymousreply 4October 21, 2018 6:39 PM

There are great roles for women over 70.

by Anonymousreply 5October 21, 2018 6:41 PM

garbage entertainment for garbage people

by Anonymousreply 6October 21, 2018 6:43 PM

im very happy for her but tbh, any actress could play her character or perhaps they could introduce a new one - and it would still make a killing in the b.o.

by Anonymousreply 7October 21, 2018 6:47 PM

[quote] It’s also the biggest launch ever with a female lead over 55 years old.

I can’t bear the gratuitous violence of the horror genre

by Anonymousreply 8October 21, 2018 6:49 PM

R7, don't minimize her being back in this franchise.

Yes, it's a part she has played before. Yes, it is Halloween and a Halloween movie. However, her presence did have something to do with the box office take. It certainly wasn't the only factor but it is an important one.

They put her front and center and she hustled like she hasn't had to in a long time doing promotion. Putting someone like Megan Fox or Jennifer Lawrence in the film wouldn't have had the same effect. When you think of the film you think of her. It would be like doing another Scream and not having Neve Campbell in it.

[quote]This isn't Oscar caliber shit.

So what, R2? Not every film is Oscar calibur shit. How many "scary movies" are? They're still there to provide entertainment. There is a place for them.

by Anonymousreply 9October 21, 2018 6:56 PM

Gawd, she was plugging this on The Late Late Show with that chubby Brit.

I think she was drunk or stoned.

by Anonymousreply 10October 21, 2018 6:56 PM

Jamie Lee was a bore. It would've been better with Sherri Moon Zombie.

by Anonymousreply 11October 21, 2018 7:32 PM

Jamie Lee: Locked & Loaded

by Anonymousreply 12October 21, 2018 7:51 PM

“Watch out Michael Myers, she’s got a loaded gun tucked in her panty-holster!”

by Anonymousreply 13October 22, 2018 8:09 PM

Both her and the Michael Myers' characters must be 60+; VERY agile in the film.

by Anonymousreply 14October 22, 2018 11:48 PM

Nobody better talk shit about JLC while r9 is around! I love this place.

by Anonymousreply 15October 22, 2018 11:57 PM

After seeing the original film on vacation a couple of months ago (and having my niece quit watching because it was "too slow"), it's good to see Laurie Strode again. Maybe it's too much to expect more actresses to stop doing fillers, but we can hope. She has a lot to be proud of.

by Anonymousreply 16October 23, 2018 12:09 AM

Spoilers: The movie was entertaining, but the ending when all these bitches are trapped in the basement with a wall full of guns and everyone seems to forget about them rending JLC to find/use a knife, that killed it for me. Oh, also her crazy ass on The View last week where she made this movie about #metoo in a long awkward speech, I lost most respect for her and this movie, she cray and this movie took a dump at the end. But, hey, it was a matinee and not full price.

by Anonymousreply 17October 23, 2018 12:13 AM

[quote] Oh, also her crazy ass on The View last week where she made this movie about #metoo in a long awkward speech

That's disappointing. Laurie Strode in this film is a total badass and refuses to be a victim. Her daughter was the cringey one. Nevertheless, still a fan of Curtis even I can't stomach all her political views and happy for her success.

by Anonymousreply 18October 23, 2018 12:19 AM

The budget for this film was $10-$15 million dollars. $77.5 million dollars at the box office opening weekend is great. The studio and production company should be very pleased. They got there investment back plus a huge profit. And it's going to make more $$$$$$.

Congratulations, JLM

by Anonymousreply 19October 23, 2018 12:36 AM

I meant JLC.

by Anonymousreply 20October 23, 2018 12:38 AM

I loved it.

by Anonymousreply 21October 23, 2018 1:47 AM

Waiting for the next reboot after 2-3 shit sequels.

by Anonymousreply 22October 23, 2018 1:53 AM

I hope her penis gets more screen time in the next one.

by Anonymousreply 23October 23, 2018 1:56 AM

I don't understand.

by Anonymousreply 24October 23, 2018 2:09 AM

i love her and this cements her as the queen of horror. but it would be more impressive if it was a new role and if she wasn’t a legacy actor.

by Anonymousreply 25October 23, 2018 2:46 AM

Horrifying to see such crap film make so much money. Ah, Americans.

by Anonymousreply 26October 23, 2018 3:32 AM

OP, because the 12 threads we already have on this subject aren't enough.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27October 23, 2018 3:42 AM

Well, we've got a PR person inundating the board with ho brilliant this schlock is...

by Anonymousreply 28October 23, 2018 3:48 AM

The last three replies could belong on any “ star is born 2018” thread and fit right in.

by Anonymousreply 29October 23, 2018 3:56 AM

[quote]Oh, also her crazy ass on The View last week where she made this movie about #metoo in a long awkward speech

There was a review of the film that made that connection, so she's probably picked it up from that. To be fair, the climax of the film is very well conceived along those lines and, given the history of slasher films and the slew of helpless women it paints, that final scene was extremely moving.

by Anonymousreply 30October 23, 2018 10:20 AM

My husbear and my bestie both said this was fantastic. I loved the original Halloween, so I'm looking forward to checking it out soon.

by Anonymousreply 31October 23, 2018 10:25 AM

Them heaux ain’t got nothing on me.

Never have, never will.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32October 23, 2018 10:31 AM

reply 30 Hon, it's a slasher flick...a horror movie that celebrates gory violence as fun entertainment. It's not "metoo" anything.

by Anonymousreply 33October 23, 2018 5:06 PM

r33 How very interesting x

by Anonymousreply 34October 23, 2018 5:21 PM

How wonderful sisters of a certain age are doing it for themselves at the box office, bookending movies in release with dear Jamie Lee’s film at #1 and Glenn’s at #100.

by Anonymousreply 35October 23, 2018 5:36 PM

David Gordon Green manages to creatively and beautifully thread together the best elements of the original and of the franchise as a whole (including Zombie's what I consider "fanfiction remakes"), weaving together both a frightening and poignant homage-sequel-reboot that manages to use subtlety and ambiguity expertly in exploring the mythic Michael Myers and the evil that surrounds him with refreshingly new eyes (a pun intended and revealed later in my short review). Midway through our first encounter with Myers, it's as if something descends upon or is awakened within "the Shape", causing the atmosphere and those around him to buzz with a static and hair-raising foreboding. It's an unsettlingly electric and effective sequence that, rather than explain any why's, simply allows the audience to experience and imagine the evil that permeates this man or person (or thing?) through creator John Carpenter's chillingly atmospheric score and Green's assured, poetic direction.

Cont'd

by Anonymousreply 36October 23, 2018 6:05 PM

R36 fuck off pr cretin.

by Anonymousreply 37October 23, 2018 6:06 PM

Fuck you, R37.

Cont'd

Green has a firm grasp on the elements that made the original work - simplicity, realism and a little grounded pathos (and never seeing the Shape's eyes!) - playing with and amplifying them. The simplicity is artful and unsettling, the realism somber and frightening, and the pathos painful and familiar.

Finally, the use of light and editing left me feeling unsure about whether or not I ever saw Myers' eyes save for one fleetingly chilling pre-mask reveal which tips the hat to the mythos of the original and to Laurie Strode's first encounter with him. It's as if his eyes are under dirty water throughout: you catch yourself thinking you've seen them and as soon as you do, they're gone, quickly cut from or subtly submerged in darkness again. It's a wonderful technique I haven't seen used in any of the sequels or even the original, for that matter.

As noted up thread, Jamie Lee Curtis gives her best film performance (she was also excellent in Scream Queens) since Freaky Friday here, shading her character with pain, fury and a will of steel. She's subtle, fierce and expertly gives us a realistic portrait of Laurie Strode forty years later, now a PTSD suffering grandmother crippled by her past but fueled with the turbulent courage of someone with nothing left to lose. Her scenes opposite the Shape are startlingly brutal and all the more satisfying for it.

Cont'd

by Anonymousreply 38October 23, 2018 6:08 PM

Cont'd

It's easy to find out the myriad ways in which this film could have gone wrong - watch Halloween ::gurgle:: H20, which also starred Jamie Lee Curtis on the franchise's 20th anniversary (and one of my least favorite of the sequels) - and though it isn't a groundbreaking film, it's an excellent slasher pic that doesn't try to reinvent the wheel but puts the rubber to the road and lets it rip.

This is both a love letter to arguably the best horror film of all time and to die hard fans, with mini homages cleverly executed and enthusiastically peppered throughout. The violence and gore are intensified for both current day horror fan sensibilities but also in service of the story, which is meant to highlight the savage and elemental quality of the evil on display. The kills are frightening, intense and surprisingly somber, which elevates and magnifies them and the starkness of the this dark tale. None of the victims are treated as punchlines.

Green displays moments of poetic brilliance as a director here, echoing the original and the aspects of Zombie's remakes that worked. This is the remake or homage Zombie SHOULD'VE made.

Nearly halfway through the film, there's a beautifully rendered extended tracking shot during which the Shape swiftly enters a woman's home, bludgeons her to death with a hammer and after, with the oblivious nonchalance of a curious child swapping toys, picks up a butcher knife. It's a chilling moment that I know I'm not articulating well (I'm still pumped from my watch). Weapons are truly an afterthought for this kind of primal evil

The supporting cast is excellent, with Judy Greer and Andi Matichack providing the best, most striking supporting work of the series since both the original and my favorite sequel, part 4 with the brilliant Ellie Cornell and Danielle Harris. Matichack in particular stands out as a nuanced young actress with a promising career ahead of her.

Expanding on his original score for "Halloween", with echoes of his other brilliant compositional work in film and shades of the score to "Suspiria" , Carpenter's music here is a fantastic variations on a theme homage to the most iconic score in horror film history; his own.

The absence of the inimitable Donald Pleasance is felt but never negatively impacts the film (a stunning achievement) due in part to the brilliant Hall Bilginer as Dr. Loomis' protégé.

There's a plot point involving him that many have found disappointing but I found successfully subversive and perhaps revealing of where the franchise is heading. Is spiritual transference/possession a potential theme for the sequels? An emphasized shot of a knife at the end seems to suggest so.

Ironically enough, the franchise through it's myriad incarnations eventually explored this (particularly in installments 4, 5 and 6). Perhaps Green is planning to do the same in a much more subtle, grounded way in later installments (of which there most certainly will be at least one after this weekend's receipts).

Whether or not you believe in evil, fear is universal and triggered by as many unknown elements as it is the known. This sequel, much like John Carpenter's masterwork, doesn't attempt to explain the 'unknown elements' but simply observes their mysterious, macabre chill.

by Anonymousreply 39October 23, 2018 6:09 PM

Not everyone is killed somberly or seriously. The pudgy kid’s death has a comical tinge

by Anonymousreply 40October 23, 2018 6:16 PM

According to this iteration, which previous films, aside from the first one, are considered “canon”?

by Anonymousreply 41October 23, 2018 6:20 PM

Awesome! I’m excited to see this.

by Anonymousreply 42October 23, 2018 6:26 PM

R40 But he wasn't the punchline of his death. He was cracking jokes the whole film but his death was not funny.

Also, these review blurbs sum up why I think this film is a success:

Variety:

[quote]That makes this new “Halloween” an act of fan service disguised as a horror movie. The fact it works as both means that Green (who flirted with the idea of directing the “Suspiria” remake) has pulled off what he set out to do, tying up the mythology that Carpenter and company established, while delivering plenty of fresh suspense — and grisly-creative kills — for younger audiences who are buying into the “Halloween” brand without any real investment in Michael and Laurie’s unfinished business.

Peter Travers:

[quote]Just watching Curtis dig into the role of this former-babysitter-turned-hardcore-avenger will keep you on the edge of your seat. She’s a marvel of ferocity and feeling. Laurie knows that her Michael obsession has lost her custody of her now-adult daughter Karen (Judy Greer), trained in combat since childhood, and caused a rift with her granddaughter Allyson (Andi Matichak). But she’ll live with it if her family can be safe. Playing the naïve Laurie made Curtis a star at 19; now she brings a sense of loss, regret and separation to the role that deepens the character’s humanity without diminishing her resolve. It’s a savage roar of a performance that stays alert to nuance. And it fits in perfectly with Green’s concept of the film as a feminist parable in which three women come together to call #TimesUp on a male predator.

[quote]That Green’s sequel works as well as it does — it’s still a slasher movie — is due only in part to the director and his collaborators’ copycat admiration for Carpenter’s blueprint. Mostly it’s the troubled times we live in that allows this energizing, elemental horror film to touch a raw nerve for #MeToo. We watch a woman call a male monster to account for her own lasting trauma. That’s too real to laugh off as Hollywood make-believe. We’re living it.

Jamie is not the only one making #MeToo parallels.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43October 23, 2018 6:27 PM

It was fine, I suppose. But it wasn't scary at all. And the "kills" didn't land. All of those kids seemed disconnected and I got no sense of them being friends, really.

Overall, you just can't replicate what made the original - or any original in this genre - so successful. The original Halloween was about normal everyday life being disrupted in a completely terrifying, unexpected way. Here, "knowingness" and mythos informs everything. So it feels like fan fiction more than anything else. I mean, there was absolutely NO suspense whatsoever. Or dread. Or creepy atmosphere. Just the inevitable plot points being hit before the inevitable show down.

by Anonymousreply 44October 23, 2018 6:33 PM

R41 None. Just part 1.

by Anonymousreply 45October 23, 2018 6:35 PM

R44 I totally disagree. I think the director did a fantastic job of setting the mood and creating an ominous atmosphere that totally recalls the original (and a little of Rob Zombie's remakes, too).

And the three female leads were fantastic individually and collectively.

by Anonymousreply 46October 23, 2018 6:37 PM

R19 And Jamie Lee undoubtedly got points on the backend (she wouldn't have been paid much upfront), so she'll probably make as much as the film's entire budget.

by Anonymousreply 47October 23, 2018 6:39 PM

One bit that felt wrong, to me, was the scene where he kills some random woman in her kitchen and then we hear a baby crying in the house. Michael walks into the next room and there's the baby in its cot. He stops right beside it, waits a beat and then walks out of the house and back on to the busy street. It shows the odd moral stance in movies like this, that it's okay to show anyone being brutally murdered in graphic detail but not a baby. Which is completely understandable, obviously. But why show the baby at all? Is it supposed to show Michael "isn't all bad"? He'll butcher any innocent person, but he won't touch no kiddies.

by Anonymousreply 48October 23, 2018 6:42 PM

R48 The director addressed that in one of his interviews. It was the woman's husband who was supposed to get killed but the actor never showed up for work that day so they quickly found a crib and put that scene in instead. He said he liked the ambiguity it added.

Also, fun tidbit: Green revealed the sound of the baby crying is JLC!

by Anonymousreply 49October 23, 2018 6:54 PM

Nobody else is going to say it, so I will. Judy Greer did a good enough job in the movie, but Danielle Harris deserved that role. It was stolen from her.

by Anonymousreply 50October 23, 2018 7:02 PM

R50 Harris would've been amazing.

by Anonymousreply 51October 23, 2018 7:26 PM

R48, it's a nod to Halloween II when Michael is in the nursery.

by Anonymousreply 52October 23, 2018 10:25 PM

It annoyed me when the journalist taunted Michael in the beginning. Journalist got what he deserved. He had it coming. And Laurie disd not change her hairstyle in 40 years. It's OK.

by Anonymousreply 53October 24, 2018 3:26 AM

Neither did Jamie Lee. Art imitating life.

by Anonymousreply 54October 24, 2018 12:00 PM

I want to see Kyle Richards as Lindsey Wallace, Brian Andrews as Tommy Doyle (or Paul Rudd if he says no), and Danielle Harris in any role in the next movie. If you can't make that happen then forget the entire thing altogether.

by Anonymousreply 55October 24, 2018 12:07 PM

Judy Greer looks like she could be Curtis daughter, Harris not so much also Harris is a fraction of the actress that Greer is.

by Anonymousreply 56October 24, 2018 2:48 PM

R56 Are you nuts? Judy Greer is AMAZING, but Harris' performance in Halloween 4 is probably better than anything Greer has ever been given the opportunity to do.

by Anonymousreply 57October 24, 2018 3:16 PM

Laurie and her daughter must have started very young when having children, and conveniently, only one each and girls to boot.

by Anonymousreply 58October 24, 2018 5:18 PM

R58 20's probably.

by Anonymousreply 59October 25, 2018 1:03 AM

Predicted to be #1 again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60October 25, 2018 5:55 AM

That's great.

by Anonymousreply 61October 25, 2018 3:56 PM

Mama's still got it

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62October 25, 2018 4:24 PM

Quite big tits

by Anonymousreply 63October 25, 2018 4:26 PM

Huge

by Anonymousreply 64October 25, 2018 10:22 PM

I know.

by Anonymousreply 65November 5, 2018 1:53 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!