Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Rufus Wainwright wrote an opera about the emperor Hadrian

You go, gurl!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29October 24, 2018 4:40 PM

Rufus Wainwright is both beloved and god.

by Anonymousreply 1October 21, 2018 4:52 PM

Would it kill him to smile?

by Anonymousreply 2October 21, 2018 5:02 PM

Judy was one of the most talented singers ever. She also had a lot of pain and struggle throughout her life. Despite that, she had a good heart, which is hard to encounter in Hollywood. At a time when gay people were oppressed beyond belief, they identified with her struggles and she theirs.

by Anonymousreply 3October 21, 2018 5:07 PM

I attended the opening a week ago yesterday.

Grand production. Beautiful voices. Packed house sat rapt the entire performance. But music was almost totally dissonant, with few variations. I’ve been told by posters here that I’m hopelessly unsophisticated for expecting melody. But it would have been refreshing.

Best element was the libretto, which I found inventive and moving. I later met a man who told me he was a friend of the librettist, who reportedly had such friction with composer Wainwright that counseling was required. Wainwright is a demanding, self-centered, vain diva, refusing any and all suggestions. (It was his music score that got the worst reviews.)

Still and all, I’m glad I went. There is much to appreciate in this work, and I believe a few musical changes and cuts, including a mostly superfluous sex scene at the beginning of Act II, would greatly improve it.

The best music sequence, called an “Entr’acte,” is available on YouTube, as are a number of video excepts, added since the opening.

by Anonymousreply 4October 21, 2018 5:08 PM

I'm available, someone give me an "H"!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5October 21, 2018 5:13 PM

[quote] Would it kill him to smile?

Why would you want him to?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6October 21, 2018 5:17 PM

Cool!

by Anonymousreply 7October 22, 2018 2:36 AM

I saw it this weekend and I agree with much of what R4 says. The production values are amazing, the cast is great, but there is a lack of musical variation that lessened the emotional impact of the piece. To me, where it suffers the most is in its first act. It takes 80 minutes to introduce Hadrian's gay love interest Antonius. As such, it made the second act feel rushed and the affair didn't seem as sizzling as it could have been. It was ok, but if I'm going to spend the money to see an Opera, I'd rather see a Donizetti or Verdi where there is emotional music and glass shattering high notes by the sopranos.

by Anonymousreply 8October 22, 2018 2:53 AM

Emperor Hadrian was a hot daddy.

by Anonymousreply 9October 22, 2018 3:01 AM

Antinous was gorgeous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10October 22, 2018 3:27 AM

Rufus Wainwright is a pretentious, pompous git.

I'll never forget his cold description of basically using George W. Bush's daughter by pretending to be her friend when she was in college just so he could get close to the center of power (that was exactly how he phrased it), and then shunning her because he decided she was empty-headed and not worthy of him. I genuinely hate George W. Bush, but you don't just use another person to see what it's like to be near power because their father is famous and then treat them badly. He should know himself how cruel that is, being the child of famous people himself (indeed, I'm sure subconsciously that's why he did it).

by Anonymousreply 11October 22, 2018 3:34 AM

Gayyyyyy

by Anonymousreply 12October 22, 2018 3:36 AM

What's this about Dubya's daughter?!

by Anonymousreply 13October 22, 2018 4:07 PM

SCHUPERFLUOUSCH SCHEX SCHENESCH

by Anonymousreply 14October 22, 2018 4:09 PM

Does he actually score his operas? Or does he write the vocal line and have an orchestrator do the rest? (This is a genuine question, as I've seen both claimed.)

by Anonymousreply 15October 22, 2018 4:17 PM

Went and saw this last Friday, I get free tickets through my employer otherwise I wouldn't have gone. It was BORING! What a waste of an interesting story and good opera singers. I swear each aria consisted of 5 or 6 notes almost no variations. I also agree with R8 regarding the length of Act I. It takes way too long to actually get us into the plot and as such, the second act is too fast.

by Anonymousreply 16October 22, 2018 5:14 PM

Is there sex in it?

by Anonymousreply 17October 23, 2018 3:46 AM

Oh yes. Saw opening. Same note over and over again. Rarely effective, except occasionally spectacular effect: "He loved," over and over, was quite nice. Simulated anal sex in Act II. Kiss got a wolf whistle and applause. Anal sex got hushed attention.

by Anonymousreply 18October 23, 2018 4:16 AM

It's too bad that Wainwright is so egotistical that he can't take the advice he obviously needs to get better at composing opera.

by Anonymousreply 19October 23, 2018 4:55 AM

He's been a spoiled brat his entire life. He's talented, but he's sour and unfriendly, and massively entitled.

by Anonymousreply 20October 23, 2018 5:25 AM

Trailer:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21October 23, 2018 7:20 AM

Behind the scenes:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22October 23, 2018 7:22 AM

‘Ground breaking ‘:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23October 23, 2018 7:25 AM

Opera gets gay(er)

by Anonymousreply 24October 24, 2018 2:37 AM

Why did they have such an unattractive guy playing Antinous? He's supposed to be gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 25October 24, 2018 7:02 AM

talk about lookin like an old goat...u see him on the chat show las nite?

he mus be ill

by Anonymousreply 26October 24, 2018 7:04 AM

IM told he is a grouchy old queen.

by Anonymousreply 27October 24, 2018 7:05 AM

That Antinous is ugly

by Anonymousreply 28October 24, 2018 2:16 PM

My husband and I left after the first act, it was too boring for us.

by Anonymousreply 29October 24, 2018 4:40 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!