Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Marlon Brando Refused to sleep with Vivien Leigh

"Vivien Leigh, who had played Blanche in the London stage production, was brought over from England for the movie, and I’ve always thought it was perfect casting. In many ways she was Blanche. Like Blanche, she slept with almost everybody and was beginning to dissolve mentally and to fray at the ends physically. I might have given her a tumble if it hadn’t been for Larry Olivier. I’m sure he knew she was playing around, but like a lot of husbands I’ve known, he pretended not to see it, and I liked him too much to invade his chicken coop."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41December 13, 2018 3:00 AM

He looked terrific. Poor Jessica Tandy though, snubbed for the film version of the role she created on Broadway

by Anonymousreply 1October 20, 2018 6:21 PM

What's with the newly minted Vivien Leigh troll?

by Anonymousreply 2October 20, 2018 6:46 PM

I don’t think Vivien was Marlon’s type.

by Anonymousreply 3October 20, 2018 7:02 PM

Just SHUT UP about Vivien Leigh, OK? What is this obsession?

by Anonymousreply 4October 20, 2018 7:11 PM

Eat your heart out Viv.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5October 20, 2018 7:12 PM

Personally, I love the brand new Vivien Leigh Was A Cunt Troll. I have found their posts to be quite informative. Way more interesting than all the Megan Markle or Instaho articles.

by Anonymousreply 6October 20, 2018 7:14 PM

I'm not believing that MB refrained out of respect for LO. I think MB just wasn't that attracted.

That being said, Streetcar was an amazing movie. It's definitely not something you want to watch if you're depressed.

by Anonymousreply 7October 20, 2018 7:17 PM

Who did Marlon Brando have the longest lasting affair with?

by Anonymousreply 8October 20, 2018 7:19 PM

R8, possibly Rita Moreno

by Anonymousreply 9October 20, 2018 7:20 PM

And yet he raped his own daughter.

by Anonymousreply 10October 20, 2018 7:21 PM

Brando probably saw his daughter as being a part of his "chicken coop".

by Anonymousreply 11October 20, 2018 7:23 PM

R10 has that actually been proven or is it just a rumor?

by Anonymousreply 12October 20, 2018 7:25 PM

R8 though I wouldn't describe it as an "affair" I would think maybe with his daughter. I think she lived into her 20s so that is long time.

by Anonymousreply 13October 20, 2018 7:25 PM

Marlon Brando was gorgeous in Streetcar. One of my all time favorite movies. Vivien Leigh was a little past her prime, but still fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 14October 20, 2018 7:25 PM

R8 Wally Cocks

by Anonymousreply 15October 20, 2018 7:28 PM

That’s COX, dear!

by Anonymousreply 16October 20, 2018 7:50 PM

Trust me. It's cocks.

by Anonymousreply 17October 20, 2018 10:25 PM

Brando was a bi-sexual fat incestuous pig. J'adore.

by Anonymousreply 18October 21, 2018 5:19 AM

The Vivian Leigh threads are boring and depressing.

by Anonymousreply 19October 21, 2018 5:49 AM

R14, it’s pretty much a basic plot point that Blanche Duboise is a little bit over the hill.

I think Marlon Brando would have fucked anything in those days, especially a star like Vivien Leigh. Maybe he turned her down because it would’ve upset their chemistry for their parts. He was a clever boy.

by Anonymousreply 20October 21, 2018 6:13 AM

R19 Thank you daarling!

by Anonymousreply 21October 21, 2018 10:35 AM

I read that he was fucking and was very crude towards Anna Magnani. I agree with r20 about why Brando would have abstained from having sex with Leigh.

by Anonymousreply 22October 21, 2018 10:58 AM

I used to have such fun with Larry Oliver and Viv. They were so much fun, and quick-witted.

by Anonymousreply 23October 21, 2018 11:06 AM

Brando

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24October 21, 2018 11:28 AM

Dears, I turned HIM down.

by Anonymousreply 25October 21, 2018 11:59 AM

Brando's face, the well hung Wally Cox's dick.

They had been young childhood friends. Both were surprised to find each other in New York in the 1940s as struggling young actors. Because of their earlier relationship, they trusted each explicitly. For Brando especially, there were very few people he really trusted since everybody he met wanted wanted his dick and bod. He trusted and loved Cox.

by Anonymousreply 26October 21, 2018 12:06 PM

Brando looked his best in A Streetcar Named Desire. His body was beautiful, especially in the t-shirts. Very sexy...

by Anonymousreply 27October 21, 2018 12:44 PM

Elia Kazan said that Marlon Brando terrified Vivien during the filming, I will try to find the exact quote.

by Anonymousreply 28October 21, 2018 12:51 PM

Elia Kazan On Vivien Leigh:

"Brando terrified Vivien, but Brando terrified everyone. There was never any intention to terrify her, but these things happen. Very rarely, but things like Marlon Brando do happen."

by Anonymousreply 29October 21, 2018 1:00 PM

Vivien played Blanche in the original London production of Streetcar but that production was a new one directed by Olivier, who never got Williams right. See his TV production of Cat with Robert Wagner and Natalie Wood, where the house is dressed like Twelve Oaks and he is dressed as Colonel Sanders as Big Daddy.

That family is nouveau riche white trash, not old Southern aristocracy, as Olivier seemed to think.

by Anonymousreply 30October 21, 2018 1:14 PM

Yes, R27. Also in The Men, iirc. His becoming so enormous later seemed like a fuck-you.

by Anonymousreply 31October 21, 2018 6:09 PM

What did Vivian Leigh do other than GWTW? Was she Lucy's sidekick in I Love Lucky?

by Anonymousreply 32October 22, 2018 5:50 PM

R32, PLEASE LOCATE A GREASE FIRE...

by Anonymousreply 33October 22, 2018 5:54 PM

R32 LMAO

R33 = Angry Vivien Leigh's ghost

by Anonymousreply 34October 22, 2018 5:57 PM

[quote]Marlon Brando Refused to sleep with Vivien Leigh

I guess there are some strangers on whose kindness you just cannot depend.

by Anonymousreply 35October 22, 2018 5:58 PM

She loved McDonalds

by Anonymousreply 36December 12, 2018 5:14 PM

So did Marlon

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37December 12, 2018 5:32 PM

What r7 said. I can only watch ASND every 15 years or so because it takes me that long to get over the last viewing.

Shelly Winters writes in her bio what it was like watching Brando as Stanley on the Broadway stage. It's been decades since I read it so I'm paraphrasing but - indescribable - electricity - and - charisma - that- leapt- off -the- stage-, about covers it.

“He acts like an animal, has an animal's habits! Eats like one, moves like one, talks like one! There's even something -sub-human -something not quite to the stage of humanity yet! Yes, something - ape-like about him, like one of those pictures I've seen in - anthropological studies! Thousands and thousands of years have passed him right by, and there he is - Stanley Kowalski - survivor of the Stone Age!"

Stella was so dick-whipped. Lucky bitch.

by Anonymousreply 38December 12, 2018 5:37 PM

It would not have worked for their parts --AT ALL-- for Leigh and Brando to have been having an affair during filming. These great actors knew that.

by Anonymousreply 39December 12, 2018 5:52 PM

Viv had skanky cooties in her cooch. That's why Marl wouldn't go there.

by Anonymousreply 40December 12, 2018 9:28 PM

R40 = Larry Olivier's ghost

by Anonymousreply 41December 13, 2018 3:00 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!