Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tonight's Megamillions lottery is officially up to $1 Billion

Cash payout is $565 million.

Are you buying a ticket? What would you do with the money?

by Anonymousreply 335November 17, 2018 1:29 PM

Hell yeah!!!

I’m in our office pool and bought two tickets of my own.

If I won, I’d use the money to get the out of the USA. I’d buy a townhome in London (Marylebone, Primrose Hill or Hampstead) and a country home in the south of France.

I would spend my days taking language language, art and cooking classes. I’d also travel and help those dearest to me.

by Anonymousreply 1October 19, 2018 4:52 PM

Yes.

I would pay off all my debts, buy a nice (but not too extravagant) house somewhere and rarely leave it unless I wanted to go on a trip or something. I’d probably hire a cleaning person to come in once a week.

by Anonymousreply 2October 19, 2018 4:53 PM

I love where I live and at 64 the idea of moving feels overwhelming. Guess I'd travel, throw out all my furniture and get new, and hire a cleaning lady. And donate to animal causes and the few worthy human ones.

by Anonymousreply 3October 19, 2018 4:58 PM

I’d move to Los Angeles, buy a mansion there and build or buy into some sort of entertainment business that gives me access to the revolving door of unlimited young hot muscle twinks who flock there. Then spend my remaining days as the gay Hugh Hefner basically.

by Anonymousreply 4October 19, 2018 5:00 PM

R1, we are the same person! Except I would split my time between France and Spain. Like you, I would spend the rest of my days improving my French and Spanish, and studying art, music, and dance.

I would make a massive donation to Planned Parenthood (where I used to work), give anonymous gifts to improve the lives of my friends and coworkers, and set up education trusts for every child in my life.

Do you all think that there is value in playing the lottery occasionally, if only for the insights that our fantasies can provide?

by Anonymousreply 5October 19, 2018 5:08 PM

First, I'd pay off all my close friends' and family's debts. Then I'd buy a house in Italy and a house in England, and then I'd buy a house in British Columbia. Then I'd give a shit ton of money to help prevent animal cruelty across the globe.

by Anonymousreply 6October 19, 2018 5:15 PM

At least a million dollar contribution to the NRA.

by Anonymousreply 7October 19, 2018 5:22 PM

i spent 8 bucks tuesday? night ? on 4 tickets. i have no idea what the 'winning' ha ha ha numbers are that came up.....

i'm done.

by Anonymousreply 8October 19, 2018 5:24 PM

I would sure as hell quit that fucking job.

by Anonymousreply 9October 19, 2018 5:27 PM

I'd quit my job as soon as I got the check. I'd set up a trust for my brother and pay off his house. He could live off of the trust and tell his sucky bosses to kiss his ass, too. I've already lined up mentally some charities I'd contribute to or again, set up trusts so they could always count on some income annually. I'd buy a big house, big enough for me and my elderly mom (big enough so we would have our own spaces), get a maid service, lawn service, etc. I'd also get a whole house generator for the house as power outages are a pain. I wouldn't get anything too over the top, just nice and comfortable. I like my car, so no new car. Maybe new furniture. I'd do volunteer work for a couple of groups. Basically, relax and do things I want to do. I'd thought about a vacation home or condo along some beach, but with all of the stronger hurricanes and storms, maybe just a visit or timeshare.

by Anonymousreply 10October 19, 2018 5:30 PM

I’d rent a house in my neighborhood, then have my house demolished & rebuilt.

I like my area, but not my house.

by Anonymousreply 11October 19, 2018 5:39 PM

First, I would want to protect my privacy. Toward that end, I'd go to court to file for a change of name. Something really common, like "Robert Miller" or "James Wilson". I'd get a new ID & social security card with that name and use it to claim my prize. Then after I'd collected my winnings I'd go to court again in a different location and file another name change to go back to my original name. In my state the names of lottery winners are withheld for 90 days after the prize is claimed. By the time my new name was released I'd be back to my old name, laughing at the media people, salesmen, scammers and hustlers beating the bushes looking for someone who doesn't exist anymore.

by Anonymousreply 12October 19, 2018 5:40 PM

I think the winner can be an anonymous trust, so you may not need to change your name, R12.

Funny how many of us have put so much thought into this. The odds of winning are so slim.

I bought six tickets. If I won, I’d create a trust to collect the money, if that’s possible. If not, the name change might work. It is a billion, after all.

by Anonymousreply 13October 19, 2018 6:36 PM

Would someone be so kind as to explain the 6th number in parentheses? Is that the same as the “Megaplier”? My state’s web site seems designed for regular players who already know. Ty.

by Anonymousreply 14October 19, 2018 6:39 PM

The sixth number is the powerball.

by Anonymousreply 15October 19, 2018 6:43 PM

[quote]I think the winner can be an anonymous trust,

Not in my state. The laws vary.

by Anonymousreply 16October 19, 2018 6:43 PM

The odds of winning the jackpot are now 1 in 302,575,350. What is that similar too? Far worse than getting a lightening strike.

I only buy when I get my haircut, at the nearby bodega, except for this jackpot.

by Anonymousreply 17October 19, 2018 6:48 PM

I second R4 In that I would love to live in LA..perhaps the Hollywood Hills or Bel Air..maybe Rancho Palos Verdes or Pacific Palisades since they are near the ocean but at the same time maybe not since they are further away from the 'action'. I would probably have a nice Spanish style Villa and have young handsome men all around me. I would have a nice garden with roses and Canary Islands Date palms and a mini vineyard. When I get bored I'd travel to my vacation home somewhere tropical, perhaps Puerto Rico or Hawaii. I would also have a nice yacht and I would spend my days studying foreign languages, working out 4 times a week with a personal trainer, and learning about wine. And on my free time I'd spend it sucking cock!

by Anonymousreply 18October 19, 2018 6:54 PM

Only in Delaware, Kansas, Maryland, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota and Texas can you claim your winnings anonymously. Most states you cannot.

by Anonymousreply 19October 19, 2018 10:16 PM

Being anonymous or not wouldn't stop me! Would you?

by Anonymousreply 20October 19, 2018 10:34 PM

Take great care of family and friends

Buy a sprawling estate w/ servants so my parents can move in - they're 81 and need to be pampered (lol not with diapers, the other way)

Charitable foundation

My indulgence would be several classic cars

And even though its illegal, i would find a loophole to find me a kidney- been waiting 4 years and its a little tiring. Money talks...

by Anonymousreply 21October 19, 2018 10:36 PM

Not stop me, but I might temporary move to one of those states. I’ve read it’s a lifetime of hassle l.

by Anonymousreply 22October 19, 2018 10:37 PM

A billion could get you 4 kidneys. Good luck, BTW.

by Anonymousreply 23October 19, 2018 10:38 PM

I would be OK with winning $1 million.

by Anonymousreply 24October 19, 2018 10:42 PM

I'm bothered by the people who when questioned say they would give some or most of it away. Those are the people who end up bankrupt and/or dead. No one but my attorney would know I had won, and certainly not my family, and I wouldn't give any of it away to individuals.They need to stand on their own two feet and not chase after others with their hand out.

by Anonymousreply 25October 19, 2018 10:44 PM

Hey R21, best of luck to you. Sending you all the best.

by Anonymousreply 26October 19, 2018 10:45 PM

I would disappear. Two or three months at the most exclusive health spa in France or Switzerland, to rest and simply think where I wanted to be. Maybe then take up residence at the Paris Ritz for three months.

I’d support humane societies and services for the indigent, generously, anonymously. Take care of family, friends.

Float in the sea, eat delicious foods, share a lot.

by Anonymousreply 27October 19, 2018 10:47 PM

How do you even go about collecting that kind of money? Even 5 million. Where do you put it initially? I'm guessing not a Wells Fargo checking account.

by Anonymousreply 28October 19, 2018 10:48 PM

None of you would help your DL brethren? Tsk, tsk...

by Anonymousreply 29October 19, 2018 10:50 PM

R17, the easiest way to think of the odds in ways you can relate to is imagining a person walking up to any one person in the United States and saying, "You're the winner!" Those are close to the odds. The US has more than 307 million people, but it's close enough to make it so that it is easy to envision.

by Anonymousreply 30October 19, 2018 10:55 PM

R25, You can give away $14,000 a year per person, without paying a gift tax. That’s a fine sum to give, unexpectedly to people, to give them a boost. I know the gift tax is insignificant to a billionaire, but it’s a boost, as I wrote. For a family of three, it’s $42,000, a year, or maybe a third of their earned income. Perhaps half of their take-home income, after taxes.

I would put my siblings and a couple friends as co-winners, at 1% or so, if allowed and so forth. Then I don’t have to hassle over gift taxes.

by Anonymousreply 31October 19, 2018 10:57 PM

R28, you get a private investment firm lined up before you collect. Then you diversify. Stocks, bonds, gold, real estate, cash in the form of dollars, euros, and Swiss Francs. Something like that. So that you never go broke.

A billion should generate income of at least $10 million a year. That’s 1%, a pittance. You could earn over $10 million fairly easily.

by Anonymousreply 32October 19, 2018 11:04 PM

If you were the sole winner and took the lump sum payment you'd be look at around ~380 million or so after taxes.

Still tons of money, but nowhere near a billion.

by Anonymousreply 33October 19, 2018 11:09 PM

I hope the winner isn’t a deplorable.

by Anonymousreply 34October 19, 2018 11:12 PM

Here's a website where you can see what the present value is in your state after both federal and state taxes.

If you invested solely in municipal bonds in your home state, you can make 3% a year and it is all federal and state income tax free. I could make it on $12,000,000 tax free a year.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35October 19, 2018 11:25 PM

Would you get the lump sum, or the 20-year payout?

I’d listen to my newly hired advisor. That’s so much money, I don’t know that it matters. I wouldn’t be able to spend the yearly payment. And I think you could always borrow against future yearly payments, for that palace in France or Italy.

I think I’d take the lump sum, to guard against a bankruptcy by the lottery.

by Anonymousreply 36October 19, 2018 11:26 PM

I bought 3 quick picks yesterday. I may pick my own numbers to make it an even 5 tickets.

I am a NYer that has been living in California for some time. I would buy a beach house on the westside, maybe the Canals of Venice or Playa del Rey and a Brownstone in Bklyn.

A Villa in Italy

A big sailboat and a private Jet.

Then I would pay off the debt of my family and friends.

Donate as much as I could to the democrats for 2020 presidential election.

Give money to aids, cancer and all kinds of medical research.

Open my own restaurant/jazz club - hire the best to run it.

Take cooking, music and writing classes. Learn new languages and that is probably it.

by Anonymousreply 37October 19, 2018 11:35 PM

Richer than Trump in a day!

by Anonymousreply 38October 19, 2018 11:35 PM

Yes, I always wonder about the lottery guaranteeing future payouts. Is it in some kind of escrow account? Is it putting aside a percentage of current loser-players cash?

Me, set up college funds for my niece and nephew. Send the two kids of good friends to private high school. Write my landlord a check for the next 6 months, cancel my utilities, put everything in storage and drop out of sight for several months, probably at a spa, and plan what comes next.

by Anonymousreply 39October 19, 2018 11:37 PM

yum-oooooooooooooo

by Anonymousreply 40October 19, 2018 11:37 PM

[quote]Richer than Trump in a day!

More cash, certainly.

by Anonymousreply 41October 19, 2018 11:40 PM

Shrublands Health Spa, R39?

by Anonymousreply 42October 19, 2018 11:42 PM

I’d get a bodyguard.

by Anonymousreply 43October 19, 2018 11:42 PM

[quote]Yes, I always wonder about the lottery guaranteeing future payouts. Is it in some kind of escrow account? Is it putting aside a percentage of current loser-players cash?

I believe that they purchase an annuity/annuities.

by Anonymousreply 44October 19, 2018 11:44 PM

Pay off my debt, give money to family, set aside 10% for charity, upgrade my furniture and drapes, then put the rest in a portfolio while I contemplate what to do.

by Anonymousreply 45October 19, 2018 11:45 PM

Definitely take it all now as a lump sum so that you don't have to worry about anything to do with the future of the lottery or changes in laws (especially incomes taxes) and I would think it would make estate planning more straightforward as well.

by Anonymousreply 46October 19, 2018 11:48 PM

I’d piss away the money and wind up broke and alone.

by Anonymousreply 47October 19, 2018 11:49 PM

I think I’d move from a state with an income tax to a state without one, Florida. That looks to save $28,000,000. And a good move for me, anyway.

by Anonymousreply 48October 19, 2018 11:51 PM

R44, even annuities are invested with companies that can go broke, if I understand correctly.

by Anonymousreply 49October 19, 2018 11:53 PM

Why would you have to pay more than half a billion in taxes on a billion dollars if you take the lump sum? Didn’t they give the top 1% a giant tax break?

by Anonymousreply 50October 19, 2018 11:54 PM

I'd pay pay my debts, make doctor, dentist and eye doctor appointments. Buy some real estate somewhere, read books, travel, get another dog and hook up my two brothers with debt free, retirement fund lives.

by Anonymousreply 51October 20, 2018 12:01 AM

You're not paying half a billion in taxes. You only really get one billion dollars if you take it as paid out over 30 years. $555,600,000 is the actual current cash value of a $1,000,000,000 annuity amount over time. You then pay a 24% federal tax rate on that amount. That's where the big tax rate change helps now. It's also how you get hurt if you take the 30 year pay out option and the tax rate goes way back up in the future.

by Anonymousreply 52October 20, 2018 12:01 AM

Yeah, taxes must be going up in the future. I’d take the lump sum payment.

(As if anyone here will win, haha! Well, fingers crossed!)

Good luck everybody!

by Anonymousreply 53October 20, 2018 12:04 AM

[quote] You then pay a 24% federal tax rate on that amount. That's where the big tax rate change helps now

That's what they withhold NOW. You will pay more April 15 since I believe the top rate now is 37%.

by Anonymousreply 54October 20, 2018 12:05 AM

Right r52. You have to remember r50 that advertised prizes are listed for the annual payment structure.

If you take it in a lump sum, it is significantly less than that.

by Anonymousreply 55October 20, 2018 12:06 AM

the lump sum payout is something like 565 million. deduct 37% for federal taxes and whatever your state income tax rate is...usually 5%...you cant move to a state with no taxes to avoid state tax. You have lived in you present state with a state tax rate of whatever for 10 months aready ..so unless you delayed taking the money until after the first of the year and relocated before then to a tax free state on your own dime,you are going to owe state tax. Remember nothing is certain other than death and taxes. Generally you are going to walk away with about $368,000,000 after state and federal taxes if you take the lump sum option

by Anonymousreply 56October 20, 2018 12:06 AM

I don't understand why people take the cash pay-out option, when they could have 25 or 30 years of guaranteed payments for twice as much.

by Anonymousreply 57October 20, 2018 12:06 AM

People want their money now r57, not a promise of money to come. They are nervous about what if "something" changes in the future.

by Anonymousreply 58October 20, 2018 12:08 AM

I’m sick today so I asked my husband to pick up a few tickets for fun. He refused. “I’m not interested.”

by Anonymousreply 59October 20, 2018 12:09 AM

Why do you only get half a billion lump sum on a billion dollars when you haven’t paid tax on it yet?

by Anonymousreply 60October 20, 2018 12:11 AM

After the lawyer and all the practical things I'd get some medical care. I'd move from a tiny studio to a 2 bedroom because I'm where I need a live in health care worker. I'd get a new pair of shoes, haven't gotten any in 6 years. I'd also get a new winter coat, haven't had one of those in over a decade. I'd love to have a meal from a good restaurant just one time. As long as I have healthy food at home and someone to cook it for me I don't need to keep getting luxuries.

I'd try to find R21 from here who needs a kidney and find out how to buy one for him if he's not the winner. I'd help out the only 2 friends I have, who btw I know would never help me because they have family and I don't. I'd set up a will to leave the bulk of it to The Coalition for the Homeless who helped me and saved me from becoming homeless and the rest to God's Love We Deliver who has also helped me to have something to eat. I'd also give to animal charities.

All I really want is a place that's handicapped accessible, medical care to take care of me so I don't end up in a horrible Medicaid nursing home. I don't need mansions or cars or jewelry or things. Although a new TV would be nice. Mine is 13 inches an analogue one and I can't do modern things with it. I'd love to have Netflix. I'd also love to get a new pair of eyeglasses and some dental work. Then again I need cataract surgery so I'd wait until after that.

I wouldn't put the money anywhere that it has to sit for 3 or more years because I don't think I have more than a couple of years. I'd find out if I could get that medical care. Maybe I'm better off not knowing.

My best wishes to you R21. I hope you win. I think you'd have more of a chance to enjoy it once you get that kidney.

by Anonymousreply 61October 20, 2018 12:13 AM

as to taking the 30 annual payments. Many people dont think they will live the 30 years into future and altho the remaining payments will go to whomever you leave it to in your will or trust... its still not guaranteed to be all yours.........also the tax rate now is favorable for wealthy people but it may be much higher down the road if you are collecting an annuity annually, finally the 30 annual payments are not equal amts. They start out much lower and gradually get much larger until the 30th year. This payout is an annuity and that is how annuity s generally work. ALso you have to count on whatever annuity investment the money gets parked in not to somehow go insolvent. Annuities are not guaranteed or FDIC insured.

by Anonymousreply 62October 20, 2018 12:13 AM

R57, if you manage the money well, you can greatly exceed that total amount, even if you're only taking a third of it home.

R60, you get two options: you can take a certain fixed amount every year for the next couple of decades. That will total $1 billion. Or you can take a lump sum payout now that is far less. That's over $500 million.

If you take the former, you will pay the taxes on whatever annual amount you get every year. If you take the latter, you will pay the taxes on that lump sum that first year and that's it.

by Anonymousreply 63October 20, 2018 12:13 AM

How many times can we repeat the same thing r60 dear?

It is only a billion if you take their annual payment plan, if you choose not to take that, it is not a billion.

by Anonymousreply 64October 20, 2018 12:14 AM

I’d spend it all on hookers, meth and oxy!

by Anonymousreply 65October 20, 2018 12:54 AM

[quote]if you manage the money well, you can greatly exceed that total amount, even if you're only taking a third of it home.

This is such a bald faced lie. Most people couldn't come close to doing that. It's absolutely a losing game for most people to take the lump sum.

by Anonymousreply 66October 20, 2018 1:07 AM

R58, are people really that stupid and paranoid?

by Anonymousreply 67October 20, 2018 1:08 AM

I wouldn't tell a soul. Nobody ever helped me do anything. Only I would know I was a multimillionaire.

by Anonymousreply 68October 20, 2018 1:10 AM

That’s what advisors are for, r66.

by Anonymousreply 69October 20, 2018 1:28 AM

Also, it is not a straight annuity with equal payments over the 30 yeats, if you read the fine print. The payments grow progressively larger so you get the greater part of the Billion in the later years. You don't have use of alll that money and the ability to invest it. The lump sum is better unless you are an uncontrollable spendthrift.

by Anonymousreply 70October 20, 2018 1:29 AM

R66, sorry, you don't know what you're talking about. Just do the math yourself. Let's make it easy and say you start with $400,000,000 and invest it all and are able to get a compound 4% annual return and you pore the earnings back in (more about that in a little bit). You'd surpass $1,000,000,000 by year 24. In year 30, you'd have $1,297,359,004.01. That's why R63 is correct.

Now, of course, you wouldn't really pore every cent back in to be compounded because you'd be using some of the money and so you wouldn't end up with that end amount, really. But, if you average more than 4%, you'd also end up with even more than shown above.

by Anonymousreply 71October 20, 2018 1:34 AM

"Take a one-time payout of $416,936,000 or 30 annual payments of about $24,573,333."

I'm telling you: the dumbest Russian or Nigerian hacker has the ability to drain your checking account. You don't want that much money in your account when that happens. Let the lottery hold the bulk of it for you and disperse it out; I know you can eke-by on $24 million per year.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72October 20, 2018 1:37 AM

As a Non-American, and to echo (R60), I'm still somewhat confused about your lottery system. Over here in the UK and in many parts of Europe, our lotteries and scratchcards are tax-free, so you receive the whole jackpot if you're the sole winner. You can also collect the winnings anonymously in person without having to hire third parties to collect your winnings on your behalf.

Whilst I understand about receiving the billion dollar jackpot over the 30 year period, what I still don't get, is, where half of the winnings go if you choose the one-off lump sump payment? I can understand if after deducting taxes, you'd receive half a billion dollars, but as many of you have already stated, taxes are deducted after the winnings are reduced to half a billion; so where does the other half go?

by Anonymousreply 73October 20, 2018 2:07 AM

Good question ^

by Anonymousreply 74October 20, 2018 2:08 AM

Apparently many of you do not understand the concept of annuities. Google is your friend.

by Anonymousreply 75October 20, 2018 2:10 AM

[quote]This is such a bald faced lie. Most people couldn't come close to doing that. It's absolutely a losing game for most people to take the lump sum.

Um, no. I'm not a particularly savvy investor but even I know enough to put money into low-cost index funds. I've averaged something like a 7.5% return on my investments over the past 20 years, and that includes a few major downturns, including the economic meltdown of 2008. So yes, I absolutely could beat what they are offering by picking the lump sum.

by Anonymousreply 76October 20, 2018 2:10 AM

The "other half" is prevented from ever coming into existence when you abort the annuity by taking the lump sum.

by Anonymousreply 77October 20, 2018 2:12 AM

I've got my winning ticket!

(I'm buying Datalounge!)

by Anonymousreply 78October 20, 2018 2:12 AM

Go look at this website. For instance, if you want to get an annuity of $20,000 a year annually for 30 years and you can earn a 5% return on your money, you don't need $600,000 right now (which is what you will actually get), you just need $303,418.54 right now. That amount, invested at 5%, will mean you can take $20,000 out of it every year for 30 years.

That is exactly what the lottery commission is doing in order to be able to pay you a billion dollars over 30 years. That is also why, in the above example, if you won $600,000 you wouldn't get that now...you'd get $303,418.54.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79October 20, 2018 2:18 AM

r61, damn if I win. I'll give you $1 million.

by Anonymousreply 80October 20, 2018 2:18 AM

If that's the case (R77), isn't your Megamillions false advertising?

by Anonymousreply 81October 20, 2018 2:18 AM

R81 It's not really false advertising. Some lottery retailers give details on their signage and state lottery sites tell people about annuity vs. lump sum.

by Anonymousreply 82October 20, 2018 2:23 AM

when are the numbers announced?

by Anonymousreply 83October 20, 2018 2:27 AM

[quote]Only in Delaware, Kansas, Maryland, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota and Texas can you claim your winnings anonymously. Most states you cannot.

Indiana and Colorado do allow winners to collect via trusts of LLCs.

by Anonymousreply 84October 20, 2018 2:31 AM

R83 I think it's a 11 pm est.

by Anonymousreply 85October 20, 2018 2:31 AM

Good luck everybody.

And to the winner(s): can I have your old stuff?

by Anonymousreply 86October 20, 2018 2:37 AM

(R82), I guess, because I'm comparing our two different lottery systems, my definition of what constitutes 'false advertising' is different in this context. I had already assumed that your lottery retailers do indeed inform players about the terms and conditions.

By stating false advertising in this context, what I was trying to convey, is the view that, as your Megamillions is inducing players to part with their money by advertising the possibility of winning a billion dollars, in fairness, the whole amount should be paid out without having to wait 30 years; and if you must pay taxes, deduct the relevant amounts, and then pay out the majority, not, reduce half of the jackpot and then make further tax deductions.

That said, even with all of these deductions, you'd still be a multi millionaire many times over, so hopefully, you'll get no complaints from the winner(s). Good luck to all of you, by the way. I hope you spend your winnings wisely.

by Anonymousreply 87October 20, 2018 2:40 AM

How will we know is someone here won? Should we have a secret code?

by Anonymousreply 88October 20, 2018 2:40 AM

When the Lotto officials announce my Winning Numbers this evening, I'm calling my attorney first thing Monday morning for an immediate appointment. (No. It cannot wait.) Purpose: LLC, baby!

Then I'll wait to make sure the LLC is officially registered before I wander in to the Lotto office to collect my Lotto check, with the name of my newly established LLC on my Winning Ticket's 'Name' line.

by Anonymousreply 89October 20, 2018 2:42 AM

[quote]Why do you only get half a billion lump sum on a billion dollars when you haven’t paid tax on it yet?

You're receiving the face value amount of the annuity.

by Anonymousreply 90October 20, 2018 2:51 AM

If they're smart (R88), they'll keep their mouths shut. By the way, does your media ever report on past Megamillions winners, and how they've spent their winnings? The majority of the huge jackpot winners in the UK have ended up getting divorced, ostracised from their community and loved ones, or destitute.

by Anonymousreply 91October 20, 2018 2:51 AM

Anyone who'd rather take damn annuity payments on lotto winnings doesn't deserve to win the jackpot. Good lord, and who are these people talking about they wouldn't want that money one bank for fear of Russian hackers? Gurl bye. I don't even have my meager salary in one single bank, let alone if I had that much to invest and float around to different accounts.

by Anonymousreply 92October 20, 2018 2:55 AM

Agreed, R92. At a minimum, if one of you wins who can't fathom what we're talking about with the current value of money and annuities, you definitely need to take it in annual payments and not as a lump sum. You'd lose it all to some shady money manager otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 93October 20, 2018 2:58 AM

I live in upstate New York and these are usual people who win our state lottery:

A. Some asshole from out of state who's already loaded.

B. A typical nuclear family

C. Middle aged frau/couple.

D. Group of office workers

by Anonymousreply 94October 20, 2018 3:13 AM

15 23 53 65 70 mega ball is 7

by Anonymousreply 95October 20, 2018 3:16 AM

^^ and the meat packers in Iowa

by Anonymousreply 96October 20, 2018 3:16 AM

...and looks like I am still going to work Monday.

by Anonymousreply 97October 20, 2018 3:18 AM

Well, did any of you harlots win?

by Anonymousreply 98October 20, 2018 3:18 AM

^^ Aha! The DL Evening Punctuationist!

by Anonymousreply 99October 20, 2018 3:20 AM

I'd give it all to the homeless. Every cent.

by Anonymousreply 100October 20, 2018 3:23 AM

R100 Bless you!

by Anonymousreply 101October 20, 2018 3:24 AM

[quote] Aha! The DL Evening Punctuationist!

I am not he, R99. I merely dabble in punctuationism.

by Anonymousreply 102October 20, 2018 3:30 AM

Even the rich and famous bought tickets:

Floyd Mayweather is proving you can never be too rich -- 'cause the dude just dropped $2,000 on lottery tickets in the hopes of winning the $1 BILLION jackpot!!!

Floyd rolled into a 76 gas station in L.A. on Thursday and told the cashier to start ringing up the Mega Millions tickets. You can see the stack of orange tickets in his hand as he walked out with his bodyguard.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103October 20, 2018 3:42 AM

I won $4. Spent $20. It’s a nice fantasy while it lasts

by Anonymousreply 104October 20, 2018 3:50 AM

I want my $4 back. What a ripoff--I got one number. I checked--apparently that wins fuck all.

by Anonymousreply 105October 20, 2018 3:50 AM

I won the Billion!

by Anonymousreply 106October 20, 2018 3:52 AM

I'll check my numbers later tonight. If I won ...

I wouldn't tell a soul. My husband and I agreed, if we won we wouldn't even tell our mothers, or any family members or friends. We do have one friend who is already incredibly wealthy (several hundred million) and we would ask him for the name of his most trustworthy financial adviser. After that, no one.

Now, mysteriously, of course, certain friends and relatives would find that they have a benefactor and that mortgages and debt have suddenly been paid off - but we would never let on and just try to live in peace. Live well, but in peace.

by Anonymousreply 107October 20, 2018 4:04 AM

The illegal alien from Mexico won in Riverside CA.

It's reported he already spent it on imported cocaine.

by Anonymousreply 108October 20, 2018 4:16 AM

Kudos r104. Bigger winnings are on the horizon for you.

by Anonymousreply 109October 20, 2018 4:18 AM

The winning ticket will be sold at Em & Dee's Gas Stop in Podunk, Tennessee. To Ed Tolbert, a construction supervisor and his wife Maryann, a retired school teacher. They will spoil their 4 kids,11 grandkids and 2 great-grandkids, give some to church and charities and take a much-needed vacation to someplace with palm trees.

by Anonymousreply 110October 20, 2018 4:22 AM

I matched one number! I get one sixth of the prize!

by Anonymousreply 111October 20, 2018 4:24 AM

I didn't win, only got 2 numbers. I was gonna feed all the Darfur orphans on DL.

by Anonymousreply 112October 20, 2018 4:24 AM

R110 ...and contribute to Anti-LGBT causes.

Adorable

by Anonymousreply 113October 20, 2018 4:25 AM

R107. but depending on your state, winners have to be announced, cannot be anon.

Only a few states allow winners to be anon.

so people will know you won!

best to create a trust and have the trust collect it. So at least your name is not in public.

by Anonymousreply 114October 20, 2018 4:26 AM

R70, for 99% of the population there is no way the cash option is a 'better investment'.

I can't believe anyone is defending this stupidity.

by Anonymousreply 115October 20, 2018 4:29 AM

Sorry, R115. I'm not R70 but you're the stupid one if you don't understand why lump sum is better.

by Anonymousreply 116October 20, 2018 4:32 AM

[quote]Anyone who'd rather take damn annuity payments on lotto winnings doesn't deserve to win the jackpot.

Anyone who would rather take the damn annuity payments on lotto winnings is a fuck-ton smarter than YOU, dumbass.

GUARANTEED INCOME FOR 30 FUCKING YEARS, v.s. the very high risk of you blowing it all, losing it in bad investments, etc.... which happens in a majority of lottery winning cases.

I can't believe you're not only so fucking stupid, but so condescendingly arrogant about being so fucking stupid.

by Anonymousreply 117October 20, 2018 4:33 AM

I won $4 on Powerball.

by Anonymousreply 118October 20, 2018 4:34 AM

Yeah, lump sum is much better. Plus, if you die I don't think your beneficiaries get the rest of the money.

by Anonymousreply 119October 20, 2018 4:34 AM

[quote]but you're the stupid one if you don't understand why lump sum is better.

What a load of horseshit. It is not better in any way, shape, or form. How can you even say that? How stupid are you?

If you're not taking the annuity, you're a fucking dumbass.

by Anonymousreply 120October 20, 2018 4:35 AM

Lol, R120. You must have voted for Trump.

by Anonymousreply 121October 20, 2018 4:38 AM

No, R121, I'm too smart for that, just like I'm too smart to go for the cash option.

The same kind of thinking you're exhibiting is the same kind of stupidity that makes people think certain numbers on Roulette are "hot" and "more likely to hit". It's pure ignorance.

Sorry, but the facts and statistics are on my side. The majority of lotto winners end up bankrupt. And that's because they take the cash option, and end up blowing it. You can think you're smarter than everyone else, but you're probably not. At least not the way you're behaving here.

by Anonymousreply 122October 20, 2018 4:40 AM

I love it when people say "I'm so smart I could invest it and make WAY more than the jackpot amount!!"... yet they're playing the lotto.

These are not smart people with realistic goals and expectations.

by Anonymousreply 123October 20, 2018 4:41 AM

Adorable how ignorant of math and finance some are.

Of course the lump sum is better.

You invest that kind of money largely in bonds. US debt. Not Swiss or German as the rates are low to negative.

Annuity people, did you go to public school?

by Anonymousreply 124October 20, 2018 4:45 AM

You do realize that there is a big difference between winning 1 million dollars and winning 400 million dollars, don't you? Lots of people can blow through 1 million...even idiots would have a hard time blowing 400 million.

by Anonymousreply 125October 20, 2018 4:46 AM

I won $4 and, as mentioned on another thread, promised the cat I would go to Petco and spend it on treats for him. I'm getting up early tomorrow to go shop for him.

by Anonymousreply 126October 20, 2018 4:46 AM

I don't think we're going to get through to them, R124. It really does explain a lot about where things stand in the US at this point in time and history.

by Anonymousreply 127October 20, 2018 4:50 AM

[quote]If they're smart ([R88]), they'll keep their mouths shut. By the way, does your media ever report on past Megamillions winners, and how they've spent their winnings?

There are some shows and documentaries on lottery winners here and occasionally there are articles on past winners of Mega Millions. Powerball, and other lottery games.

by Anonymousreply 128October 20, 2018 4:51 AM

for those who choose annuity, if you die, they stop paying. so your kin don't get any money. lump sum is better.

some of you are so retarded!

by Anonymousreply 129October 20, 2018 5:02 AM

To the poster saying annunity is better... You're talking from a behavioral standpoint about dumbasses who don't know how to manage money. In that case annunity would be better. From a financial standpoint a lump sum is better. It's two different things. As someone said, I don't even think the biggest morons can go through 300 million much less a billion.

by Anonymousreply 130October 20, 2018 5:02 AM

R130 ummmmmmmm how about a trillion...hold my beer!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131October 20, 2018 5:13 AM

^^^ NSFW or while EATING

by Anonymousreply 132October 20, 2018 5:27 AM

I hate my job and work colleagues and dejected that I have to show up on Monday. All I need is a million which I'd use to buy my freedom and take care of my family.

by Anonymousreply 133October 20, 2018 5:38 AM

Well, I could be wrong because nothing officially has been announced, but I don't think anyone won the jackpot tonight. States usually pipe up within a couple of hours of the drawing if they have a winner.

by Anonymousreply 134October 20, 2018 6:14 AM

There are sites offering syndicates. That way you're essentially buying multiple tickets and can split the prize if one of the numbers win.

by Anonymousreply 135October 20, 2018 6:49 AM

[quote]Well, I could be wrong because nothing officially has been announced, but I don't think anyone won the jackpot tonight.

The status on the Megamillions website is "Pending".

by Anonymousreply 136October 20, 2018 7:00 AM

Someone in CA got all 5 numbers with no MegaBall. That's a $1mil payout (it sounds so sad and paltry compared to the total jackpot now, doesn't it) The big jackpot payout (at 2:33am CST) is STILL PENDING!!

by Anonymousreply 137October 20, 2018 7:34 AM

I’d keep the money in my home state of California and combat homelessness and invest in education in minority communities.

by Anonymousreply 138October 20, 2018 8:03 AM

A billion plus jackpot is just so gaudy. Wish the lotteries guaranteed 20 people winning $2 million weekly.

by Anonymousreply 139October 20, 2018 2:11 PM

So, it's at $1.6 billion and drawing isn't until Tuesday, the 23rd.

$2 billion by then...???

by Anonymousreply 140October 20, 2018 2:18 PM

So no one won, we can keep our fantasies about winning going for a few more days until they are deflated again!

by Anonymousreply 141October 20, 2018 3:03 PM

Four more days of dreaming!

by Anonymousreply 142October 20, 2018 3:12 PM

Go for thirds ... use one third for $$$ bequests to my school and libraries already stated in my will (you can never have one too young, make a will now if you have not done so), use one third to set up a foundation to grant $$$ to help community theater groups around the country, use one third for myself.

by Anonymousreply 143October 20, 2018 3:12 PM

R124, it's amazing how ignorant of human nature and reality people like you are. And you're so smug about being so completely wrong. It's utter bullshit that you'd do better. All of lotto history proves you wrong. Seriously, what the fuck is wrong with you?

by Anonymousreply 144October 20, 2018 3:20 PM

[quote]for those who choose annuity, if you die, they stop paying. so your kin don't get any money. lump sum is better.

Talk about retarded. Hello? YOU'RE DEAD. Dumbass. The lump sum isn't better. Unless you're a stupid, greedy moron.

by Anonymousreply 145October 20, 2018 3:21 PM

[quote]yet they're playing the lotto. These are not smart people with realistic goals and expectations.

Buying a powerball ticket isn't two bad. It is only 2 dollar investment, and the potential rewards no matter how slim the odds are life changing.

People who buy multiple tickets are rather wasting money. Your material odds don't change much when you buy tons of tickets. Going from 1/310,000,000 to say 20/310,000,000 it is not a real increase in odds in practical terms.

by Anonymousreply 146October 20, 2018 3:23 PM

Gah, too bad*

by Anonymousreply 147October 20, 2018 3:23 PM

[quote]You're talking from a behavioral standpoint about dumbasses who don't know how to manage money.

Yes. That would be 99% of the public, INCLUDING YOU. The problem is, most of these dumbasses think they're not in that group. Like you and the other idiots on this thread who mistakenly believe that the lump sum is better. YOU ARE FACTUALLY WRONG. Again, nearly all of the lotto history proves it. You have no ground to stand on, the facts are not on your side, and the fact that you persist in this delusion just proves me right over and over.

by Anonymousreply 148October 20, 2018 3:24 PM

My gawd you bitches are selfish.

by Anonymousreply 149October 20, 2018 3:25 PM

Seriously. Demanding that lump sum is better because your dead corpse will get more money. WTF ever.

by Anonymousreply 150October 20, 2018 3:27 PM

R148, you do realize, don't you, that you are fighting against MATH. Good luck with that.

by Anonymousreply 151October 20, 2018 3:28 PM

One thing I'd do is go quiet, first go to Brooks Bros. and buy the finest suit suiting my eye .... learned when, seeing Prince Charles go catch a train to an engagement and seeing Commander Lawrence coming out of the RAC .... both in splendid suits far better than those around them. I kept thinking of my father's "always dress better than you have to." Then I'd go claim the prize, looking spiffy for photographs.

by Anonymousreply 152October 20, 2018 3:31 PM

R148, morning NYC television stories advise going for the lump sum, then investing. Taking the long payout, well, few here will last that long. Tv didn't say that. But I think it'd be nore noney overall. Or not. What figures have you?

by Anonymousreply 153October 20, 2018 3:35 PM

It comes down to an individual thing. How good are you at managing money. That's it.

For some people taking the annuity could be a life saver, because they would end up burning through tons of money if they took the lump sum. As others have said, lots of lottery winners have this. Plus it gives you a security blanket against everyone asking you for money because you don't have it all at once.

You have to know whether you would be responsible, or whether you would be throwing money at every friends business plan and what not.

by Anonymousreply 154October 20, 2018 3:39 PM

Yes R154 I would take the lump sum. It may not be the "right" thing, but its the right thing for me.

by Anonymousreply 155October 20, 2018 3:42 PM

I can't imagine the stupidity and greed required for someone to take the lump sum... vs. the long term security of having the annuity.

It's unimaginable to me that someone thinks they can do the hard work of managing their money (it IS work, for many it's a full time job... or you have to hire someone to do it for you, and that's not cheap). Besides, with a pot this good, you can think of it like getting a lump sum every fucking year, and manage it to your heart's content to grow it all you want, and if an investment goes belly-up (hello, we're expecting another 2008-like crash here soon!), well then, there's always next year and you're not in trouble.

But sure, fine, lie to yourself that you're a better money manager than professional money managers, and you can stretch your lump sum out to last the rest of your life, which for MOST people is 25-30 years easily.

by Anonymousreply 156October 20, 2018 3:45 PM

R99, the Evening Punctuationist is already loaded. He’s lived on Park Avenue for ages.

by Anonymousreply 157October 20, 2018 3:45 PM

Whitey Bulger, the Irish Boston mobster, won the lottery twice, allegedly.

Massachusetts also once had a game that, as the jackpot built, it became profitable, odds-wise, to buy countless tickets. The odds improved after weeks of no winners. Some people parked themselves in front of lottery dispensers and cleaned-up. The Boston Globe wrote about it, and the Lottery people almost immediately cancelled the program.

by Anonymousreply 158October 20, 2018 3:50 PM

The annuity will be paid to your heirs, but in reality, if you are the type to buy a lotto ticket you're probably not going to be the kind who manages their money well.

That said, you can always get a better rate of return if you take the lump sum and either invest it or have someone honest, do it for you.

I laugh when my H/R lady says I'm stupid not to take the 401K because they match up to 4%. Big deal, I have made 20% so far this year investing that money myself in the stock market.

She's right for most people the 401K is good because they wouldn't save a thing but it's not a universal application

by Anonymousreply 159October 20, 2018 3:51 PM

R146, I’ve always said, buying more than one ticket doesn’t improve your odds of winning, it only improves your odds of losing!

by Anonymousreply 160October 20, 2018 4:02 PM

I’d go with my financial advisor’s advice, but aside from various investments, I’d put a bunch of cash, in different currencies, in safe deposit boxes in banks around the country. Some small millions. Enough to live well, come what may. Doesn’t matter if it didn’t earn profit, it’s security.

The über rich must have fail-safe plans. I’m sure Fidelity or whomever has advisors for only the elite. I used to work for Fido. Once you have over a million dollars, (unless they’ve raised it by now), you get specialized customer service. I have not doubt the specialized service there improves above other balance levels, too.

by Anonymousreply 161October 20, 2018 4:14 PM

What is the yearly payout if you don't take a lump sum? I did not read this whole thread so maybe the question has already been answered.

by Anonymousreply 162October 20, 2018 4:19 PM

Canada, the UK & Australia all have tax free lottery winnings. And none of this retarded “annuity” excuse to confuse people.

You win $30M, you get $30M and that’s how it should be in the US.

It’s a prize for the winner, not for the government.

by Anonymousreply 163October 20, 2018 4:21 PM

Americans are legally forbidden from playing foreign lotteries. Yet foreigners can play US lotteries even by purchasing tickets on the many online sites that offer that service.

by Anonymousreply 164October 20, 2018 4:31 PM

My grandma used to play the Irish sweepstakes. She would gather money together from various groups of Americans and bet for them.

by Anonymousreply 165October 20, 2018 4:50 PM

Some Canadians who live close to the border drive in buy Powerball and Mega Millions tickets. My boyfriend's niece worked at a gas station in Washington where that happened quite a bit.

I grew up in New Mexico which didn't have lottery until 1996. I remember some of my relatives in northern part would go to Colorado to buy lottery tickets. A friend of mine who lives in Utah posted on Facebook about going to Wyoming to buy tickets for the Tuesday draw.

by Anonymousreply 166October 20, 2018 5:01 PM

I'm incredibly embarrassed to admit this, but this thread just prompted me to buy a lottery ticket (8 of them, actually) for the first time in my entire life.

by Anonymousreply 167October 20, 2018 5:57 PM

Didn't you see my post r167, just buy one! More than one is basically a waste.

by Anonymousreply 168October 20, 2018 6:00 PM

I had a friend win (last year) $45,000. My friend scrapes by, so this was a real help.

by Anonymousreply 169October 20, 2018 6:02 PM

Nothing for me this time. Not even $4.

by Anonymousreply 170October 20, 2018 6:05 PM

Wow, that jumped 600,000,000 in one day! I never understand how people go nuts for this huge jackpots. They won't play if it is say, 50 million, buy will go buy a bunch of tickets if it is close to a billion.

R170 I didn't win shit, either. They must put nearly all of it back into the next jackpot, that's how they get so high.

by Anonymousreply 171October 20, 2018 6:06 PM

I do that r171. I don't generally play the lottery, but when you see these headlines about how big the pot is I figure I might as well buy a ticket. Outside of the media hysteria, it isn't something I normally think about doing.

by Anonymousreply 172October 20, 2018 6:08 PM

"I'd give it ALL to charity. EVERY. SINGLE. CENT."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 173October 20, 2018 6:10 PM

Here is a good guestatimg site for each State. You can also click on the actual annuity payout and see that most of the payout is in the later years. There is nothing greedy about maximizing your return. If one is a spendthrift, they should take the annuity but they may also likely borrow against that annuity and still be in debt.

It is all a fantasy and will not happen to any of us anyway.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 174October 20, 2018 6:32 PM

I won $6! Yay!

by Anonymousreply 175October 20, 2018 6:36 PM

R164, Americans can’t buy tickets if in the US. That’s because your government believes it is protecting you from Nigerian scammers. However if an American is abroad, he/she can buy as many foreign lottery tickets as his/her heart desires.

Annuity payments are no guarantee of fiscal security. I read a story of a guy who spent his annuity in 4 years. He borrowed against it to fund his lifestyle.

With professional advisors, one will always do better with a lump sum. For an amount this big, it would be prudent to have multiple advisors and tell each you have split the pot to compare performance.

by Anonymousreply 176October 20, 2018 8:14 PM

R146/168, I did see your advice, and I thought it made sense! But I was too embarrassed/anxious to walk into a grocery store or gas station to try to buy just one ticket: Is there a machine? Do you have to talk to a cashier? I was afraid of looking like an idiot.

So I went to my state's lottery website, instead, where I discovered that there was a $20 minimum purchase when you play the lottery online. And that is how I ended up with multiple tickets.

by Anonymousreply 177October 20, 2018 9:31 PM

R167, not 67.

by Anonymousreply 178October 20, 2018 9:32 PM

R177, no, you just ask a clerk at the gas station for one ticket. They don't think anything about it other than they're probably only making $10 an hour so they can't imagine spending even $2! Just enjoy your $20 of hope. I do agree that there is very little mathematical difference in purchasing one ticket or 200 tickets, but $20 isn't going to ruin your life either way.

by Anonymousreply 179October 20, 2018 9:39 PM

r174, that chart is eye-opener in showin how punitive taxes can be. I would have to move to Florida to at least avoid the state tax and then figure out what shelters I could use for federal.

by Anonymousreply 180October 20, 2018 9:42 PM

Why would anyone be worried about the taxes?! You're winning more money than normal people can amass in a thousand lifetimes. You'll still have plenty let over after taxes.

by Anonymousreply 181October 20, 2018 9:47 PM

Aren't you glad a deplorable won?

[quote]Kentucky man ‘tickled to death’ to win $1 million

[quote]October 17, 2018 - Ronnie Parker, 65, of Dawson Springs, Ky., was working this morning when he realized he was holding the Mega Millions ticket from last night’s drawing worth $1 million.

[quote]Parker matched the five white ball numbers but not the Mega Ball to win the game’s second prize from the October 16th drawing.

[quote]Parker, who helps his son-in-law Jeff with his towing service, was working a job this morning where a semi-truck had overturned. He and Jeff were standing on the side of the road talking with the deputy sheriff when he told them someone in Madisonville had won a million dollars.

[quote]“The deputy sheriff asked me if I’d bought a ticket at Wicks.” “I said, ‘I sure did. I bought one ticket for $2.’” The deputy sheriff pulled up the winning numbers on his phone and Parker discovered he was holding the winning ticket.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182October 20, 2018 9:53 PM

[quote] Then I'd give a shit ton of money to help prevent animal cruelty across the globe.

While your goal is admirable, forgive me but I don't really see how a shit load of money stops people from being cruel to animals. I mean, animal cruelty doesn't happen because of ignorance, so you can't educate people not to do it.

by Anonymousreply 183October 20, 2018 10:13 PM

[quote] I can't imagine the stupidity and greed required for someone to take the lump sum... vs. the long term security of having the annuity.

If you are old enough that you don't expect to live anywhere near the 30 years for the annuity and there is plenty you would want to do with the money while you are still alive, like help other people, taking the lump sum makes a lot of sense. Plus if you are good with money, which some people happen to be, you don't need the long term security.

by Anonymousreply 184October 20, 2018 10:23 PM

They don't give a crap how many tickets you buy. I used to buy multiples, then I realized what a waste of money it is. Now I buy one or two at most and I'm in and out in a minute. You don't even have to hand them a card if you do QP.

by Anonymousreply 185October 20, 2018 10:31 PM

I wish I had a ticket but I won't go out to get one.

by Anonymousreply 186October 20, 2018 10:35 PM

I mainly want Trump dead and the money won't help.

by Anonymousreply 187October 20, 2018 10:37 PM

I have family who need help, so that would be a lot of fun and that is plenty of money.

by Anonymousreply 188October 20, 2018 10:39 PM

Too much money for one person to win.

by Anonymousreply 189October 20, 2018 10:44 PM

[quote] Too much money for one person to win.

Unless it is I.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 190October 20, 2018 11:08 PM

I wasn't go to buy a ticket for Tuesday but now I may--to win back the $4 I lost on Friday.

by Anonymousreply 191October 20, 2018 11:49 PM

People are forgetting powerball is up to 470 million and odds of winning are slightly better.

by Anonymousreply 192October 20, 2018 11:57 PM

People will only start to care about Powerball if it goes over $500 million and that's when they'll flock to buy.

by Anonymousreply 193October 21, 2018 1:28 AM

I wonder if Trump sent the secret service to buy tix for the next drawing yet...so he can pay off 666 for Kushie?

by Anonymousreply 194October 21, 2018 1:39 AM

I find it hard to believe that someone who has never had money in their life, wouldn't have their life utterly ruined by suddenly winning a billion dollars cash lump sum.

Be careful what you wish for.

by Anonymousreply 195October 21, 2018 2:39 AM

Many lottery winners do have their lives ruined over it r195.

Which is not surprising, a lot of people who play the lottery are not the type of people who are going to be able to handle it well. And their friends and family will also often be terrible influences.

by Anonymousreply 196October 21, 2018 2:41 AM

Suddenly having that much money would make me so paranoid and anxious. Good think I have only a 1 in 300 million chance of winning.

by Anonymousreply 197October 21, 2018 2:56 AM

Idiot tax

by Anonymousreply 198October 21, 2018 2:57 AM

There was the Jack Whitaker story. The guy was already a millionaire when he won over $100 million in the Powerball in 2002. He started off doing some good things like buying a house and a car for the store employee who sold him the ticket and helping people in need in his community. But, he ended up doing a lot of stupid things with the winnings and was targeted by thieves. This story is pretty crazy and quite sad since he already had a pretty good life before winning the lotto.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 199October 21, 2018 3:03 AM

R145, you're a stupid cunt.

If you pick annuity and die, they stop paying. If you pick lump sum, and you die, at least your kin and loved ones can inherit your winnings.

You must have nobody.

by Anonymousreply 200October 21, 2018 4:52 AM

No one won Powerball tonight. The jackpot went from 470 million to 620 million.

by Anonymousreply 201October 21, 2018 5:06 AM

R200, and you call ME stupid? Please. Your'e the dumbass here.

by Anonymousreply 202October 21, 2018 5:17 AM

Fifteen second-tier winning tickets netting at least $1million were sold in California, Florida, Illinois, Missouri, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Texas and Virginia. The tickets were said to have matched the five white balls, but not the Mega Ball.

by Anonymousreply 203October 21, 2018 7:23 AM

Lots of misinformation and lack of unerstanding of basic finance and the law. The annuity payments go to your estate after you die, at least in Florida. You would need to name a beneficiary to the annuity or just name your estate. You need a will. The cash payout is a better financial deal and you can use it to set up a trust. You can blow an annuity too by selling it or taking loans on it so it is no guarantee against the fool and his money being soon parted.

by Anonymousreply 204October 21, 2018 10:41 AM

I’d manage

by Anonymousreply 205October 21, 2018 2:35 PM

Boxer Floyd Mayweather drops $2,000 on Mega Millions lottery tickets.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 206October 21, 2018 4:32 PM

Old news R206

by Anonymousreply 207October 21, 2018 4:57 PM

I would be a little stressed out by potential kidnapper and lawsuits, but still would want to win.

by Anonymousreply 208October 21, 2018 5:09 PM

Can you buy Megamillions or Powerball lottery tickets in every state? I haven't bought a ticket in decades.i

by Anonymousreply 209October 21, 2018 5:21 PM

Oh my. This is obscene. This is the guttin of the middle class. The 1%. Oh my.

by Anonymousreply 210October 21, 2018 5:23 PM

It's in all but six states, R209: Nevada, Utah, Alaska, Hawaii, and, oddly, Mississippi and Alabama.

by Anonymousreply 211October 21, 2018 5:34 PM

Old news R206

by Anonymousreply 212October 21, 2018 6:14 PM

Mississippi might be entering the lottery next year. Utah will never enter it because of the Mormon influence.

by Anonymousreply 213October 21, 2018 6:20 PM

I live so simply I would just keep it tucked safely away, and live mostly like an average person. I have a fear of flying so I'm not world-travelling. And I have lots of pets so I'm basically a homebody.

I'd just get a house or two, a car or two. A dream has always been to own like a thousand acres of land and forest. My own Nature preserve.

I'd splurge on good food. I'd still shop at thrift stores because I hate wasting money.

My goal is to never have to work a shitty job ever again. If I 'worked' at all it would be just buying properties and renting them out.

by Anonymousreply 214October 21, 2018 6:32 PM

Interesting take.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 215October 21, 2018 7:10 PM

The main thing in my life that would change if I won would be that I'd quit my job, and I'd travel a bit more. And I'd hire some hot man-whores. I'd donate a lot to good causes, charities, and political campaigns to fight against Trumpism and Republicanism.

But the single thing I'd look forward to most is just the quitting-the-job thing. I'd be free. God, that would be nice.

by Anonymousreply 216October 21, 2018 7:35 PM

A couple of years back a friend and I had a conversation about what we do if won the lottery. My friend is a lawyer and works at a law firm. She said would quit the law firm right away, but would do pro-bono legal work for non-profits and other types of volunteer work.

If I won I would quit and maybe take some volunteering projects and also travel more.

by Anonymousreply 217October 21, 2018 7:41 PM

That guy in the article at r199 sounds like an absolute asshole. A devoted "Christian " gives to his church and then later has half a million in cash stolen from his car while visiting the local strip bar. Why would anyone keep half a million in cash in his car you ask? "Because I can" was his response.

Oh, and then later he has $200,000 stolen from his car while visiting the same strip club.

Idiot.

by Anonymousreply 218October 21, 2018 8:09 PM

I work for a mega-global company now but all my prior work was in nonprofits. My plan, after winning the Friday jackpot was to help out my family and close friends and then semi-retire. I would run my own nonprofit as sole employee. Nothing major but aside from helping people, it would be something to keep the grey cells ticking over. Alas, I didn't win.

by Anonymousreply 219October 21, 2018 8:12 PM

It seems really poor people who need it never win. Most of the winners have decent jobs, health care, cars more often than not own a nice home and want to use the winnings frivolously. You never see someone who says I need life saving surgery but don't have medical insurance or I'm currently living on the street or I have no food or anything like that. This was the case when the big lottos only cost one dollar too. I think even the most destitute person would spend a dollar for a very high jackpot, okay, 2 dollars maybe some have to think about or make the choice do I eat something today or buy a lotto. Still while everyone can use a billion or so, most lotto winners don't really need it. I think that sucks.

by Anonymousreply 220October 21, 2018 8:35 PM

[quote]If you pick annuity and die, they stop paying.

No, they don't. The remainder of your winnings are paid to your estate.

by Anonymousreply 221October 21, 2018 10:24 PM

I’d piss it away. Die alone and broke.

by Anonymousreply 222October 21, 2018 10:44 PM

Haha, yes that is interesting r215.

There was a story about a homeless guy who won, in Florida naturally. He died broke. But you only hear about the disasters. Think of how many lottery winners there are, thousands of substantial winners at this point. Plenty of them just quietly live the good life and don't go on insane spending sprees.

Remember that massive cruise ship that sells stateroom/condos and it just cruises endlessly? Kinda like the idea of that. Just live in your condo but when you step outside: presto, another country.

by Anonymousreply 223October 21, 2018 10:57 PM

I think it's ridiculous that winners are forced to come forward in many states. I would want to remain anonymous indefinitely.

by Anonymousreply 224October 21, 2018 11:10 PM

Back in the May, the governor of Georgia signed a bill allowing lottery winners to remain anonymous. I

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 225October 22, 2018 7:29 PM

[quote] I think it's ridiculous that winners are forced to come forward in many states. I would want to remain anonymous indefinitely.

Yes and no. The rare occasions (like now) I actually spend a couple dollars on these lotteries I cross a bridge into a state that permits anonymity. But allowing the winners to be named makes it more difficult for insiders to get away with fixing the game. So the winners should all be named except me.

by Anonymousreply 226October 22, 2018 7:48 PM

I hope I will win. I can buy a lot of escorts! Do we know if any lottery officials escort?

by Anonymousreply 227October 22, 2018 7:50 PM

There is a thread on reddit about a guy who spent $3200 in Mega Millions tickets. The guy posted on Facebook, that he used most of the money to buy all those tickets and he's praying for a win.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 228October 22, 2018 8:10 PM

Josh Barro:

My advice to all of you prospective lottery winners remains the same as it was in 2016: If you win, decline the up-front cash and take the annuity.

The annuity comes with big tax advantages, because it’s like leaving your money with the government to invest on your behalf, and the government doesn’t pay tax on the investment returns. Of course, they’re effectively investing the money in Treasury bonds, which is why the annual returns are less than 4 percent, and that may seem low, but the rate is competitive with annuities you might buy from financial institutions, says economist Allison Schrager. And the tax-sheltered structure means you’d have about 20 percent more money after 30 years than if you tried to replicate this investing strategy on your own.

Plus, when every person you’ve ever met in your life starts hitting you up for money, it will be helpful to be able to say your first installment payment was a mere $26 million and you already spent a lot of it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 229October 22, 2018 8:31 PM

R185 is correct - your odds don't change substantially without buying A LOT of tickets! Buy one if you want in on the action, and pray/hope for the best.

by Anonymousreply 230October 22, 2018 8:41 PM

New York is the worst state to win a lottery in.

by Anonymousreply 231October 22, 2018 8:47 PM

[quote] Suddenly having that much money would make me so paranoid and anxious.

It sounds crazy, but I wouldn't want it all, either.

I've been telling people that the sweet spot is between a million and 10 million. You have enough to pay off debt and retire, maybe help a family member or two.

More than that. and you either have to make it your job to manage the money, or hire someone to do it for you. And it will change your relationship with people you know.

by Anonymousreply 232October 22, 2018 8:51 PM

Did someone win?

by Anonymousreply 233October 22, 2018 8:55 PM

R233 Nobody won on Friday. The next draw is tomorrow.

by Anonymousreply 234October 22, 2018 8:59 PM

I don't generally like rich people, I respect money and the power it gives. I would just give as much to my family and friends as they needed. But what about Trump supporters? Could I hold my nose and give money to the republicans in my family? I really don't know.

by Anonymousreply 235October 22, 2018 9:03 PM

In my state you can't remain annonymous but I read you can however decline taking a picture (I noticed even those claiming through an LLC end up taking a pic ). I would decline taking the picture. As an added measure of security I would show up in a baseball cap and wearing my old ugly out of date glasses I've only kept for emergencies. I would also dress out of character in some type of garb I would otherwise never wear or be seen in again. I don't know if these measures would truly help but it couldn't hurt.

On a side note: Anyone remember the woman earlier this year who won the biggest jackpot thus far at the time (I don't remember which game it was), anyway she showed up the very next day at lottery office chewing and smacking her gum and without an attorney... Wonder what happened to her.

by Anonymousreply 236October 22, 2018 9:31 PM

A lady winner in Jamaica figured it out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 237October 22, 2018 9:41 PM

I'd get the hell out of the US until it (if it) ever becomes a democracy again.

by Anonymousreply 238October 22, 2018 9:44 PM

R237, that disguise is perfect and in the right spirit, excellent! If I win I will immediately order something like this and have it delivered "Next Day" shipping as I will be able to afford the shipping at that point.

by Anonymousreply 239October 22, 2018 9:46 PM

It does not make sense to take the annuity if you're good with investing long term. So yes, 99% of Americans SHOULD take the annuity.

by Anonymousreply 240October 22, 2018 9:49 PM

I will definitely hire a bodyguard.

Coz you know people are just gonna come out of the wood work and fall down in front of you then sue you and claim assault.

by Anonymousreply 241October 22, 2018 10:00 PM

You can invest a quarter even and you'll still be golden. With that amount you don't even have to invest. Unless you're buying multiple homes, yachts and planes, you'll never go through all that money.

by Anonymousreply 242October 22, 2018 10:13 PM

Assuming that you would be generous with close family members, how much would you give each of them? The problem is that they would know how much you have and may not be satisfied with the amount that you give them. Rich people problems!

by Anonymousreply 243October 22, 2018 10:30 PM

I would spend it all running anti Trump campaigns, rallies, adverts... every last penny

by Anonymousreply 244October 22, 2018 10:38 PM

[quote]Assuming that you would be generous with close family members, how much would you give each of them?

Those who are able-bodied and should be self-reliant would receive zero. The elderly family members would receive what they needed to live comfortably for the rest of their lives and have enough to pay for their healthcare and nursing home.

by Anonymousreply 245October 22, 2018 10:43 PM

Here's a story about a couple who figured out how to work a Michigan Lottery game some years ago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 246October 22, 2018 10:47 PM

r244 I like your way of thinking, that would be the most charitable thing to do for the greater good. If I win I'll also provide free shuttle buses/ubers for Democrats to be able to get to polling stations in this and all elections to come.

by Anonymousreply 247October 22, 2018 10:47 PM

[quote]I would just give as much to my family and friends as they needed. But what about Trump supporters? Could I hold my nose and give money to the republicans in my family? I really don't know.

If I won the lottery, I have a sister who I wouldn't give money to. My sister is homophobic and cuts down poor people all the time. She herself struggles with money at times as she is a single mom who doesn't get child support from her son's father. She says that she hates Trump and voted for Gary Johnson. I don't talk to her that much because she's a difficult person, a few months back at a family gathering she said she was planning to vote Republican for the midterms.

. My sister has worked in administration at a university teaching hospital. This hospital has several outpatient clinics within in the hospital and the clinics serve a people and children on Medicaid. She says awful things about those patients. My sister due to her income qualifies for certain assistance programs from non-profits and she uses those programs, but will still cut down other people who do similar things. My parents have helped her financially dozens of times and they helped her buy a house. Several years back, I needed to have a root canal done and my insurance didn't completely cover the procedure or the crown. At the time, I had started a new job and was still trying to recover from a previous job loss. I turned to my parents for the remaining money and they were happy to help. My dad made the mistake of mentioning that to my sister and she later told me off for asking for help. She also got pissed when my parents helped out my brother when he dealt with job loss.

I live in Colorado where lottery winnings can be collected in trusts or llcs. If I won, I'd set up the trust and would maybe tell my brother and some a few trusted friends. I'll admit despite my sister's awful attitude, I sometimes do feel bad for her at times because she struggles as a single mom. But, any time she cuts down other struggling people for getting help from different sources, I lose sympathy for her.

by Anonymousreply 248October 22, 2018 10:48 PM

I live in a state which allows for anonymity so it's really a pity I didn't win last Friday and I have no plans to buy tomorrow. I'm done--really, the odds are just ridiculous.

I concur with recent posts--winning a couple million would do me just fine. At $2M, no one but my best friend would know. I would help out my mom and invest the rest for my retirement. Not much about my life would change, except having some peace of mind with a very comfortable nest egg.

I help out my mom but I'm single and have no children, so who's going to help me when I'm too old for the job market? Money isn't everything, but I'd rather have some assets to pay for assistance. Meanwhile I'm sweating out a Medi-Cal renewal process for my mother. I'm constantly worried about her retirement and health coverage as she qualifies for low-income senior assistance. Of course, I'm grateful she gets the assistance, but it's a year-round process of keeping her in compliance. A couple million lessen the stress--if she doesn't pass a renewal/review process, it's not the end of the world. Whereas, currently, I have to get on top of everything so she doesn't lose her apartment or health coverage. And knock on wood, she's in hearty health right now. I dread when age-related health issues kick into gear.

by Anonymousreply 249October 23, 2018 1:20 AM

I wonder if a person gets a letter from a doctor that they have too bad a heart or they have some kind of mental condition that appearing before cameras would cause them great harm if the NYS lotto people would allow them not to have to go to a press conference. I know they would still publish their name all over the place but can they really force a person with a legitimate condition to risk their lives? I mean wouldn't that person's lawyer make the biggest stink ever about it?

by Anonymousreply 250October 23, 2018 1:54 AM

I think that most states don't require winners to actually make a public appearance to claim their winnings.

by Anonymousreply 251October 23, 2018 2:13 AM

The lotto jackpots would do a lot more good for the world if they were split into say $5-8 million dollar increments and awarded to those with the amount of numbers closest to the winning set. Once taxes are taken out, that's enough to retire comfortably, pay bills, and still spend a little fun $$ immediately. . . .at least for most people.

by Anonymousreply 252October 23, 2018 2:14 AM

In NYS you have to appear at a press conference and even answer questions.

by Anonymousreply 253October 23, 2018 2:42 AM

Honestly in our modern world can anyone win anonymously? You can be found out, it's too connected a world try to maintain secrecy.

by Anonymousreply 254October 23, 2018 2:44 AM

[quote]n NYS you have to appear at a press conference and even answer questions.

I've looked through New York statutes governing lotteries, the section regarding the certification of winners makes no mention of any requirement mandating any public appearance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 255October 23, 2018 3:09 AM

[quote]Honestly in our modern world can anyone win anonymously? You can be found out, it's too connected a world try to maintain secrecy.

I think maybe if someone has very common first and last name and lives in a large city, they could win in a non-anonymous state and maybe not be bothered by people that much.

I go to Philadelphia for work trips a couple of times a year. A couple of years I was there right after the Powerball hit 1 billion. A couple of people at the office that I was at told me about how they drove to Delaware to buy lottery tickets because the state grants anonymity to winners.

I have relatives in Maryland which also grants anonymity and a couple of them have said that they'll buy maybe $10-$15 worth of tickets almost every week for Powerball or Mega Millions.

by Anonymousreply 256October 23, 2018 3:34 AM

After the hoopla dies down who really remembers these people? Grifters who seek out winners are another story. The right to stay anonymous might be coming to NY. I believe they tried to introduce a bill a few years ago which obviously didn't pass.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 257October 23, 2018 4:50 AM

no. In nys, you have to appear in public. If you win anything above 1 million and above, you have to show your face. I think some guy went to court trying to stay anon but not sure if he succeeded. He was claiming it would be dangerous for him if people in his neighborhood knew he won etc.

But I've seen a group (lottery pool) collect winnings wearing sunglasses and hats etc.

I think in NJ, a trust claimed the winnings and it was the trust's lawyer who collected. So the real winners didn't appear in public.

by Anonymousreply 258October 23, 2018 6:06 AM

Seriously, when was the last time you watched one of these press conferences? Who can name 1 Lottery winner?

If you win, you can suffer through the press conference - which nobody knows when it's held anyway. Afterwards, you keep your head low and brace for grifters, who will be there regardless.

by Anonymousreply 259October 23, 2018 6:46 AM

[quote]It does not make sense to take the annuity if you're good with investing long term. So yes, 99% of Americans SHOULD take the annuity.

Exactly. But 99% of Americans don't. Because they're self-deluded and greedy, so they end up screwing themselves.

by Anonymousreply 260October 23, 2018 6:50 AM

So who here is going to be an almost billionaire tomorrow?

If it's me there will be tons of money going to every Democrat running and to services for the poor. I'm old and sick. I don't need that much other than for medical care. I'm way beyond traveling and I have and never had use for big homes and cars or anything that's not practical really.

Mostly tomorrow I will be kicking myself for spending the 20 or so dollars I've spent since this lottery went so high. I think it will be tomorrow. I can't imagine there won't be a winner tonight. Hundreds of millions of people must be playing.

by Anonymousreply 261October 23, 2018 8:36 PM

If I won one fucking billion dollars anonymity would be the last thing on my mind.

by Anonymousreply 262October 23, 2018 8:40 PM

Seriously, I cannot imagine the seismic shift in reality one would experience upon receiving such news. Sure, you would want to avoid media, but the interest in you would be short lived anyway - there's always another winner around the corner. And as far as your family goes, they'd find out eventually anyway.

by Anonymousreply 263October 23, 2018 8:43 PM

[quote]So who here is going to be an almost billionaire tomorrow?

Me! I’m youngish. I would take the annuity and hire the best investment manager I could find to establish some charitable foundations and progressive, lefty super PACs. I’d set my mom up in a luxury apartment with 24 her help and then take my cat and my massage therapist on a luxury trip around the world for the next several years.

by Anonymousreply 264October 23, 2018 8:49 PM

R264, I hope you win! Your cat needs a luxury vacation.

by Anonymousreply 265October 23, 2018 9:00 PM

I don't work, being retired. I'd want to remain anonymous, it isn't possible in New York. Of course you'd have to announce yourself to get the money. I'd simply bank it and take the first cabin I could get on Queen Mary 2 and go away, unreachable for a few weeks to a month. Then return and begin to give money away. Not to those asking. To those I support now. Good causes only. Wouldn't answer any mail No one is writing me now to "offer help," "give me a money-making idea," be a long-lost relative or be my newest friend. I'd just not answer anything from people I don't know. A new car? Well I have an Escalade, a newly-discovered leak in the sunroof could be repaired. For the "he's the winner" photo I'd wear a necktie I designed when I worked. i like top hotels; I think I'd travel to eight or ten locations around the country near friends I'd like to see and book into a top hotel and take friends to dinner. Before we're all dead. No matter what, he fun thinking of what if is worth the $2.

by Anonymousreply 266October 23, 2018 10:21 PM

Heard on the news that in NYC, if you win, and you pick lump sum, you only gonna get 600 million plus after taxes. They were talking about how NY is the worst state to win lottery.

by Anonymousreply 267October 23, 2018 10:40 PM

The Mega Millions jackpot will hold steady at a record $1.6 billion for Tuesday night’s drawing — but, if no one wins, will hit $2 billion for the next drawing on Friday, officials said.

For the second day in a row, a consortium of lottery officials from across the country opted not to increase the estimated grand prize after poring over ticket sales.

But now, a winner who opts for the lump sum stands to collect a little more — $913.7 million. That’s up from the previous cash option of $904,900,000.

by Anonymousreply 268October 23, 2018 11:09 PM

I would buy an apartment building in Los Angeles and provide inexpensive, safe lodging for single females trying to break into the biz. A housemother would enforce wholesome living. I might even name it after Vivian Vance.

by Anonymousreply 269October 23, 2018 11:14 PM

This article mentions that winnings can be collected in trusts in Colorado, Vermont, Connecticut, and Massachusetts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 270October 23, 2018 11:20 PM

R269, you know Viv was a vivacious young woman in NYc for a number of years. I suggest you name your wholesome apt bldg, " The Va-Va-Va-Vance" Catchy, no?

I agree with others, the total you will (annuity or lump-sum) is astronomical and unfathomable. I've tried to calculate how I would spend down $26M annuity. I can't do it and then I get another and another, etc...

$1M winnings (what is that $600K after taxes?) I can fathom... $300K into retirement, down payment on a home ($40K), furnishings and appliances ($15K), new car ($30K). Keep working for the pension I've been paying into, but definitely take vacations to Europe and visit America's National Parks. Oh yea and a trainer in the gym; wealthy man's got to look good, right?

by Anonymousreply 271October 23, 2018 11:39 PM

A group of 90 people in Florida pooled $22,000 to buy tickets.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 272October 23, 2018 11:42 PM

[quote]The group has already reportedly spent $52,000 on Mega Millions tickets,

I bet you these people do not have that money to spare either.

by Anonymousreply 273October 23, 2018 11:45 PM

If you take the annuity, you don't know if the money will ever be fully paid to you or not. If the cash is not in your hand, the payer could renege. Also, income tax rates could rise in the future. If you want to minimize how much the federal government takes from you, it may be better to pay all the tax on the initial sum now.

by Anonymousreply 274October 23, 2018 11:46 PM

II forgot to buy tickets today

by Anonymousreply 275October 23, 2018 11:46 PM

[quote] But now, a winner who opts for the lump sum stands to collect a little more — $913.7 million. That’s up from the previous cash option of $904,900,000.

But Datalounge said the lump sum on $1B was in the vicinity of $350M last week

by Anonymousreply 276October 23, 2018 11:51 PM

[quote]But Datalounge said the lump sum on $1B was in the vicinity of $350M last week

That's after paying the taxes. This is the pre-tax figure.

by Anonymousreply 277October 23, 2018 11:57 PM

R275, you still have time...go get one!

R276, the $913.7 million is pre-taxes; the $350 million from the last drawing was (closer to) present value and also minus income taxes.

by Anonymousreply 278October 23, 2018 11:57 PM

Oh dear.

The 904.9 figure does not refer the $1B jackpot r276. It refers to the 1.6bil, the raised cash lump sum from 904 to 913 (this is all before taxes).

by Anonymousreply 279October 23, 2018 11:58 PM

Shopping ideas.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 280October 24, 2018 12:05 AM

If I win I could buy Corbin Fisher and its stable. A billion dollars could make a lot of porn.

by Anonymousreply 281October 24, 2018 12:11 AM

Two interesting things in the article at R246 (aside from the statistical stuff about how they made the money)

1. The lottery generates a revenue of $80 billion in tickets. For comparison, the entire U.S. film industry sells only about $11 billion in tickets.

2. 11 states made more from the lottery in 2009 than they did from corporate income tax. (I linked the source of that with the 11 states below.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 282October 24, 2018 12:18 AM

I would take the lump sum, there could be nuclear war in a few years, who the fuck knows what the future is gonna be like. I would rather have the money now. thank you!

by Anonymousreply 283October 24, 2018 12:27 AM

If you suspect a nuclear war is coming in a few years the lump sum can help you put away useful supplies and provisions.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 284October 24, 2018 12:38 AM

Does anyone even taken the annuity? I was trying to find stats on it but all the results brought up the "which one is right for you" stuff.

This is probably the first time people are considering the lump sum "because I'm not sure if the country / planet will be around long enough," rather than simply wanting the money up front for other reasons.

by Anonymousreply 285October 24, 2018 12:41 AM

Three quarters of all possible combinations for megamillions has already been used, according to the officials.

by Anonymousreply 286October 24, 2018 12:42 AM

[quote]A group of 90 people in Florida pooled $22,000 to buy tickets.

I feel sorry for the poor money clerk that had to run all those play slips.

by Anonymousreply 287October 24, 2018 12:58 AM

I have two brothers and two sisters. My mom's still alive. I have dozens of aunts, uncles and cousins and nieces and nephews on both sides of the family. The only one I speak to is my oldest sister, no other family member has attempted to reach out to me in over 20 years. My sister lives two states away and we chat about twice a month.

She's the only family member I'd give any money to, fuck the rest of them, my mom included. You can be anonymous in my state so I'd set up a blind trust and send my lawyer to pick up the check. I'd buy a house in a gated community and get a big dog. I'd quit my job for sure.

Then after I get my life settled I'll think about charities. I'd want to have a charity that benefits queer youth, especially homeless kids.

by Anonymousreply 288October 24, 2018 1:09 AM

R283 is a fucking idiot.

by Anonymousreply 289October 24, 2018 1:15 AM

You'd want to live in a neighborhood where your millions are unimpressive.

by Anonymousreply 290October 24, 2018 1:22 AM

I wouldn't tell ANYBODY at first, not until after the lawyer and trust and all that are set up.

by Anonymousreply 291October 24, 2018 1:38 AM

How does one even find a financial planner? I mean one who isn't a potential Bernie Madoff.

by Anonymousreply 292October 24, 2018 1:44 AM

I'd probably check with my bank.

by Anonymousreply 293October 24, 2018 1:45 AM

I bought one ticket.

by Anonymousreply 294October 24, 2018 1:47 AM

I imagine the lawyers who specialize in lottery winnings have recommendations for financial planners.

by Anonymousreply 295October 24, 2018 1:48 AM

Gurl they need to draw these numbers before 11pm. A future millionaire needs beauty rest!

by Anonymousreply 296October 24, 2018 2:18 AM

How does one (most of us) know who is a trustworthy attorney?

by Anonymousreply 297October 24, 2018 2:23 AM

Thats my question r297. My first step would be to find a firm that has worked with previous winners I guess

by Anonymousreply 298October 24, 2018 2:27 AM

5-28-62-65-70. The Mega Ball is 5.

And of course, I didn't match a single number.

by Anonymousreply 299October 24, 2018 3:05 AM

Me either.

by Anonymousreply 300October 24, 2018 3:10 AM

Well I got 1 megaball # 5 - but the rest were not. Not many regular numbers either. Why am I wasting my money on this ? This is the third drawing I bought tickets for . And I have 5 for powerball tomorrow. I guess it's small enough amounts not to really be a big deal, but it added up across the 3.

by Anonymousreply 301October 24, 2018 3:18 AM

The odds are 1in 310mil r301. Buy a ticket for harmless fun, but you can't take it seriously.

by Anonymousreply 302October 24, 2018 3:21 AM

If I were to win, I would have WF's Private Banking/Investments manage not more than 1/3. You may ask yourself: "Why WF, after all the shit its been through?"

Answer: WF, is under the FDIC's high-powered microscope, forevah -

by Anonymousreply 303October 24, 2018 3:26 AM

I paid $10 for five plays. Not one of the single 30 numbers on my ticket matches any of the 6 numbers in the winning combination.

by Anonymousreply 304October 24, 2018 3:45 AM

This evening I purchased only one ticket. This way, if I lose, I've only lost a buck.

Do the math -

by Anonymousreply 305October 24, 2018 3:50 AM

LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A handful of lucky players matched five out of the six numbers in a massive Mega Millions drawing, and five of those tickets were sold in Southern California.

While the California Lottery tweeted out that there were no $1.6 billion jackpot winners in the state, eight lucky people still get a big cash prize.

The tickets in the Southland were sold in Rancho Cucamonga, San Diego, Chatsworth, Arcadia and Norwalk, according to the California Lottery. The other tickets were sold in San Luis Obispo, Stockton and San Francisco.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 306October 24, 2018 4:09 AM

I hope R21 and r61 win.

by Anonymousreply 307October 24, 2018 4:10 AM

South Carolina lottery site is reporting one winner

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 308October 24, 2018 4:14 AM

South Carolina might have a jackpot winner.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 309October 24, 2018 4:14 AM

R303, do you mean Well's Fargo? Wow, have you not heard that they did all kinds of shit like opening accounts and ordering shit for their customers without customers' knowledge? They are the worst of the worst! If you have an account there, I would close it and go else where. Also better look closely at your account, there could have been charges made, you could have purchased insurance etc.

by Anonymousreply 310October 24, 2018 5:02 AM

South Carolina? A deplorable??? FUCK THEM CUNTS!

by Anonymousreply 311October 24, 2018 5:03 AM

If there is only one winner, that person is going to be the envy of cold, black disappointed hearts everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 312October 24, 2018 5:04 AM

South Carolina allows winners to remain anonymous. But, the winning ticket could belong to a group of friends or co-workers who pulled their money together to buy a bunch of tickets.

It will be interesting to see if people go crazy for tomorrow's Powerball.

by Anonymousreply 313October 24, 2018 5:07 AM

[quote]If there is only one winner, that person is going to be the envy of cold, black disappointed hearts everywhere

until the next huge drawing. Which is tomorrow night, btw.

by Anonymousreply 314October 24, 2018 6:14 AM

I understand that California is a huge state, but they ALWAYS have someone win a big cash prize, if not the jackpot. And now they say FIVE tickets were sold there with 5 out o 6 winning numbers? BULLSHIT.

by Anonymousreply 315October 24, 2018 9:58 AM

A ticket in California won the last Mega Millions. A group of office workers won and they only 20 million each after taxes.

by Anonymousreply 316October 24, 2018 2:27 PM

And for the real big jackpots - the CA winning ticket is ALWAYS sold in San Jose.

by Anonymousreply 317October 26, 2018 7:17 AM

Does anyone really win the huge amounts?

by Anonymousreply 318October 26, 2018 7:42 AM

Wouldn't it be hilarious if someone like Jeff Bezos won the lottery, and then held a press conference and wiped his ass with the winning ticket?

by Anonymousreply 319October 26, 2018 7:50 AM

[quote] LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A handful of lucky players matched five out of the six numbers in a massive Mega Millions drawing, and five of those tickets were sold in Southern California.

Believe it or not, I actually met one of the winners at a gay bar earlier this week.

I was with a friend and we were walking into a bar at the same time that she did. She asked if she could walk with us because she was all by herself.

We parted ways, and then ended up sitting near each other, later in the night. I saw her on her phone, and she was writing like paragraphs and paragraphs of text. I just thought it was funny, so I said "are you writing a letter?" And she said "yeah, sort of." Then she shows me this manifesto that she wrote on her facebook, telling anyone who was ever mean to her to go fuck themselves.

Then she explained how she just won the lottery, and she was so high that she wanted to tell all of her haters to go suck it. It was the most surreal thing ever.

Then she showed how she actually posted the winning numbers on her facebook, 24 hours before they were announced. It was timestamped, so I believe her.

She said that she was in an office pool (Southern California), and that she was contacted by the lottery people and told to "lock down" her social media. Whatever that means.

We chatted for over an hour, and it turns out that she's a) a lesbian, b) former military, c) owns three homes, and d) a republican.

You can just imagine how my friend and I left that evening. I was majorly pissed, but I was pleasant to her throughout the night. I even bought her a drink. Ugh.

And no, I'm not making this up. I really wish I was, though.

by Anonymousreply 320October 26, 2018 9:34 AM

That's a cool story, r320, but how much money would you actually get if you matched 5/6 numbers as part of an office pool?

by Anonymousreply 321October 26, 2018 1:00 PM

R321 A five out of six match is 1 million dollar win if the office pool purchased tickets with the Mega Plier option, the prize would be 3 million.

by Anonymousreply 322October 26, 2018 2:38 PM

[quote] South Carolina? A deplorable??? FUCK THEM CUNTS!

It's WORSE then that. My ex lives in that area. If she won that much money my body will never be found.

by Anonymousreply 323October 26, 2018 8:16 PM

damnit man

by Anonymousreply 324October 28, 2018 3:16 AM

If no one wins tonight's Powerball we could see another jackpot close to 1 billion.

by Anonymousreply 325October 28, 2018 3:39 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 326November 5, 2018 7:41 PM

not one number i played came up

by Anonymousreply 327November 5, 2018 7:48 PM

Sorry R326, but I think that her foundation sounds absolutely wonderful.

She's actually going to do a lot of good with that money.

by Anonymousreply 328November 5, 2018 7:49 PM

If she really does it and the foundation isn't just front. Don't forget The Trump Foundation.

by Anonymousreply 329November 5, 2018 10:23 PM

Yeah, foundations are tax deductions.

by Anonymousreply 330November 5, 2018 10:25 PM

Fuck her ! It should have been me!! Not some bitch from Iowa !

by Anonymousreply 331November 6, 2018 1:18 AM

One thing you could do is hire two different law firms, who don’t know each other, to set up a trust and claim the winnings. I’d also film the whole thing so that they couldn’t claim the ticket for themselves.

If you want to give much of it away, I’d make that person a co-winner with maybe 1% share. Otherwise, if you instead gave them the money, first, you’d pay income taxes on it, and then pay gift taxes again when you give it away, on sums over $14,000 per year. So, let the trust pay them and they can pay their own taxes on it.

I’d buy a home in Florida or whatever state lacks an income tax, and allows an anonymous trust, and move there. You might have to wait until the start of the next calander year for the residence to be officially changed.

Then I’d ask Fidelity, where I have a current account, to give me a list of advisors to interview. They have a secret tiered customer support system, so once they know you have millions, they’d be willing to spend more time with you.

Now all I have to do is win someday!

by Anonymousreply 332November 6, 2018 6:07 AM

The mega millions winner still has not claimed the prize.

“If a jackpot prize is not claimed within the required time limit (which varies by state), each participating state in the Mega Millions game will get back all the money that state contributed to the unclaimed jackpot,” according to the Mega Millions website.

by Anonymousreply 333November 14, 2018 9:31 PM

Oh, god, can you imagine winning and not knowing it?

And 340+ million is too much for anyone. It's obscene. Most of us would see our lives completely changed by 1 million. There should be more lotteries with smaller prizes.

by Anonymousreply 334November 14, 2018 10:12 PM

R334 [quote]There should be more lotteries with smaller prizes.

There are several lotteries with smaller prizes that are played in certain states and regions. There is also Lotto America which used to be known as Hot Lotto and it's played in 13 states. The jackpot starts at 1 million and then grows from there until there is a winner. The current jackpot is 11.5 million dollars. I sometimes play that game since it's sold in my state.

by Anonymousreply 335November 17, 2018 1:29 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!