Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Keira Knightley Banned Her Daughter From Watching Disney Films Like ‘Cinderella’ Because They’re Not Empowering to Women

When it comes to “Cinderella,” Knightley explained the storyline just doesn’t set a good example for young women. “She waits around for a rich guy to rescue her,” Knightley said. “Don’t. Rescue yourself — obviously.” The actress feels the same about “The Little Mermaid,” even if she admits the songs are good. “Do not give your voice up for a man!” Knightley noted.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51October 24, 2018 3:12 AM

But this was, bitch?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1October 16, 2018 11:59 PM

Insufferable cunt.

by Anonymousreply 2October 17, 2018 12:00 AM

she's a closet case she and Sienna Miller were a couple and maybe still are

by Anonymousreply 3October 17, 2018 12:01 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4October 17, 2018 12:02 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5October 17, 2018 12:02 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6October 17, 2018 12:04 AM

She is not wrong though. If you think about those movies the life lessons they teach are pretty terrible.

by Anonymousreply 7October 17, 2018 12:08 AM

That jaw, those (lack of) tits. No wonder her gay husband married her. He doesn't need to pretend much.

by Anonymousreply 8October 17, 2018 12:08 AM

Keira is a scrawny titless insufferable cunt.

by Anonymousreply 9October 17, 2018 12:10 AM

lack of areolas

by Anonymousreply 10October 17, 2018 12:11 AM

and no waste

by Anonymousreply 11October 17, 2018 12:11 AM

R7 It's only recently that Disney movies have become blatant social justice vehicles.

by Anonymousreply 12October 17, 2018 12:11 AM

This is why he won.

by Anonymousreply 13October 17, 2018 12:13 AM

Touche, R1.

by Anonymousreply 14October 17, 2018 12:23 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15October 17, 2018 1:26 AM

She’s right.

by Anonymousreply 16October 17, 2018 1:37 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17October 17, 2018 1:40 AM

Films are entertainment, full stop. They're not a dating guide for young women. Even a dim bulb like KK should recognize that.

by Anonymousreply 18October 17, 2018 1:40 AM

I am not a dim bulb, r18. You better apologize.

by Anonymousreply 19October 17, 2018 1:49 AM

R18 They are entertainment, but our entertainment does shape us. That's undeniable. I'm not opposed to showing these movies to a little girl, but you do have to balance the helpless princess crap with other stuff.

by Anonymousreply 20October 17, 2018 1:53 AM

Yeah it is silly to pretend that people, especially young people, aren't influenced by the media they consume.

by Anonymousreply 21October 17, 2018 1:59 AM

Does she realize the song is not "Someday my prince will come" but "Someday my prince will CUM"?

by Anonymousreply 22October 17, 2018 2:00 AM

Wow, I had no idea she was married witha child! I thought she was a man hater.

by Anonymousreply 23October 17, 2018 2:59 AM

I think she's talented and lovely and smart and I agree that Disney is lowest common denominator trash.

by Anonymousreply 24October 17, 2018 3:02 AM

Who the hell would defend an insipid piece of crap like Cinderella? KK is right. It's stupid folklore dreamed up by dumb peasant bimbos who didn't have the intelligence or resourcefulness to think their way out of terrible situations. They were so dumb, they thought their best bet was to lie around waiting for some guy to marry them out of their circumstances. These peasant bimbos were shallow twits, too. They could've hoped to be swept off their feet by a successful tailor or town smith or something, but nope--only marrying into money and royalty would do.

I love the other lessons that the story has, too--ugly people are pure evil; pretty people are virginal and pure of heart.

by Anonymousreply 25October 17, 2018 3:02 AM

She's right about the Disney princess effect. People also need to be mindful of how they automatically comment on little girls' looks. Instead, comment to little girls on how smart or strong or capable they are.

I'm still annoyed with Keira Knightley for agreeing to play Colette. Colette was as French as can be, and brilliant, sensual, and sharp-witted, not a scrawny, wooden-faced dry husk of an Englishwoman.

by Anonymousreply 26October 17, 2018 3:43 AM

[quote] She is not wrong though. If you think about those movies the life lessons they teach are pretty terrible.

[quote]Who the hell would defend an insipid piece of crap like Cinderella? KK is right. It's stupid folklore dreamed up by dumb peasant bimbos who didn't have the intelligence or resourcefulness to think their way out of terrible situations.

I actually think Disney's version of Cinderella has gotten a bad rap when it comes to its underlying messages and themes targeted to women.

This video gives a very thorough analysis explaining why.

Yes, the Disney Princess brand (as a concept and identity) is very disempowering to women, but as a standalone film, I never read Cinderella in that way. I always saw her as a strong character.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27October 17, 2018 3:48 AM

The gender-reversal in this version is empowering and hilarious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28October 17, 2018 3:56 AM

Well said r24 and r26. That is why adults who worship Disney are so weird.

by Anonymousreply 29October 17, 2018 3:58 AM

Cinderella is the story of a young woman who escapes an abusive home life. How is that not empowering? It always seemed to be her kindness in the face of adversity that made her worthy of a magical intervention. (In one version of the story her father wants to marry her because she looks like his dead wife, succeeds in raping her and Cinderella is then thrown out of the house by the stepmother).

I had no idea people saw it any other way. In the original story her abusers die a horrible death. They get there eyes pecked out by birds. It’s awesome. (Although not as awesome as the story where the evil qyeen has to put on a pair of red-hot iron shoes and dance around the world until she drops dead. Bitch.)

by Anonymousreply 30October 17, 2018 4:06 AM

R30, I like the fate of Beauty's horrible older sisters in [italic]Beauty and the Beast[/italic]:

"As to you, ladies," said the fairy to Beauty's two sisters, "I know your hearts, and all the malice they contain. Become two statues, but, under this transformation, still retain your reason. You shall stand before your sister's palace gate, and be it your punishment to behold her happiness"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31October 17, 2018 4:48 AM

Hope she bans her brat from watching most of the crappy movies she has made (exceptions being Never Let Me Go and Begin Again)

by Anonymousreply 32October 17, 2018 4:58 AM

I'd like to hear her Deep Thoughts on Disney's "Sleeping Beauty".

Does she object to it because the princess just lies there for most of the film, or will she realize that the heroines of the film are the three female fairies who spend the whole film fighting evil?

by Anonymousreply 33October 17, 2018 5:57 AM

I liked Disney's live action Cinderella.

by Anonymousreply 34October 17, 2018 5:57 AM

Oh god that was DULL R34

I'll stick with...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35October 17, 2018 6:00 AM

That's true R33 but the Disney machine has always pushed the Princess. How much merch for the 3 fairies have you seen in your life? I was a Disney kid, and I didn't see shit. Disney pushes "Be the Princess" and while it's not the end of the world, it's not the best message for toddler girls either.

by Anonymousreply 36October 17, 2018 6:02 AM

[quote]This video gives a very thorough analysis explaining why.

I don't get my "analyses" from YouTubers. Honestly, is this how low we've sunk as a culture?

by Anonymousreply 37October 17, 2018 12:01 PM

I think Cinderella is misunderstood. She was an entitled white girl who wanted to go to a party. She conned some nice old woman into making her a dress and obviously stole some wheels. When she got busted, she lied her ass off - Fairy Godmother? Coach turned into a pumpkin? Yeah, right. But Cinderella knew her audience. Her stepmother had to know she was lying, but the Prince bought Cinderella's act... and she grifted her way into the palace. Then took revenge on her enemies. #MeanGirl.

by Anonymousreply 38October 17, 2018 12:04 PM

Does she invoke “agency”?

by Anonymousreply 39October 17, 2018 12:12 PM

In particular, Kristin Bell, the 38-year-old actress, has some concerns that Snow White undermines what she teaches her daughters about stranger danger.

"Every time we close "Snow White" I look at my girls and ask, 'Don't you think it's weird that Snow White didn't ask the old witch why she needed to eat the apple? Or where she got that apple?' I say, 'I would never take food from a stranger, would you?' And my kids are like, 'No!' And I'm like, 'Okay, I'm doing something right.' "

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40October 17, 2018 11:56 PM

The original stories on which these movies were based were meant to teach morality and Disney movies are purely intended to sell shit. Period. I don't blames parents for not wanting their kids to watch these movies, but mostly because maybe they won't get on the Disney consumer hamster wheel at an early age and want all this cheap princess shit merchandise.

As far as an example goes, kids follow the examples they see every day - not to say that entertainment doesn't help shape our perceptions - but what's most important is the direct examples and environment people set for their kids. I wonder how great weight/age/appearance-obsessed actresses are as an example to a young girl about what it means to be a woman.

by Anonymousreply 41October 21, 2018 11:10 AM

why does this witch keep getting movie roles ????

by Anonymousreply 42October 21, 2018 11:55 AM

R25 the folklore wasn't dreamed up by "bimbos". It was dreamed up by guys that wanted passive females.

by Anonymousreply 43October 21, 2018 11:58 AM

good for her

by Anonymousreply 44October 21, 2018 12:00 PM

[quote]"As to you, ladies," said the fairy to Beauty's two sisters, "I know your hearts, and all the malice they contain. Become two statues, but, under this transformation, still retain your reason. You shall stand before your sister's palace gate, and be it your punishment to behold her happiness"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45October 21, 2018 12:06 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46October 24, 2018 1:29 AM

Technically, Cinderella did help herself. She disobeyed and went to the ball.

by Anonymousreply 47October 24, 2018 1:44 AM

Regarding Keira, what else do you expect from a luvy.

[quote] The gender-reversal in this version is empowering and hilarious.

Jerry darn near killed himself making that film. Running back up those steps gave him his first heart attack. 66 stairs in 8 seconds they say in the comments.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48October 24, 2018 1:45 AM

But she lives happily ever after!

by Anonymousreply 49October 24, 2018 1:47 AM

When will these people just shut up when they're not on set? It makes it far easier to buy what they're selling when they just shut up.

by Anonymousreply 50October 24, 2018 2:19 AM

R3 totally agree. Her husband pings strong, too

by Anonymousreply 51October 24, 2018 3:12 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!