Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Republican Donor Paul Allen DEAD

He was 65.

by Anonymousreply 143November 23, 2018 4:32 PM

How dreadful. Thoughts and prayers ™️.

by Anonymousreply 1October 15, 2018 10:23 PM

[whisper] cancer [head shake]

by Anonymousreply 2October 15, 2018 10:25 PM

Kinda young?

by Anonymousreply 3October 15, 2018 10:26 PM

.....lymphoma

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4October 15, 2018 10:27 PM

All those billions couldn't save him.

by Anonymousreply 5October 15, 2018 10:29 PM

I wonder how this will effect The Clippers?

by Anonymousreply 6October 15, 2018 10:31 PM

from his Wiki page-

[quote] Allen never married and had no children. He was, at times, considered reclusive.

by Anonymousreply 7October 15, 2018 10:33 PM

Fergit about what's on his iPod. Better question is who is in his will?

by Anonymousreply 8October 15, 2018 10:35 PM

What's on his Zune?

by Anonymousreply 9October 15, 2018 10:36 PM

His parties during Cannes and his yacht filled with hookers will be missed!

by Anonymousreply 10October 15, 2018 10:36 PM

Bill Gates' death will be the celebration day. Allen only rates a yawn.

by Anonymousreply 11October 15, 2018 10:39 PM

Shit! He was only about a year older than me. And Steve Jobs was born a week before me.

by Anonymousreply 12October 15, 2018 10:41 PM

Hmm, maybe so much scratch aint healthy.

by Anonymousreply 13October 15, 2018 10:46 PM

r9 that made me laugh...lol. I still have a zune somewhere. I should find it.

by Anonymousreply 14October 15, 2018 10:49 PM

Good. One down, many more to go. I hope that Rupert is next.

by Anonymousreply 15October 15, 2018 10:58 PM

As the co-founder of Microsoft, Bill Gates tried to screw him over repeatedly. When he was diagnosed with Hodgkin's disease in 1982, Gates tried to dilute his shares. When that didn't work, he tried to convince Allen to sell his shares for $5 a share. He declined and became very rich when Microsoft's value went through the roof.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16October 15, 2018 11:00 PM

His cultural legacy is a vanity museum. Not much of a life. Like Gates, he made a fortune from shitty beta test versions of others, beter ideas.

by Anonymousreply 17October 15, 2018 11:03 PM

I keep reading this as Peter Allen which is confusing

by Anonymousreply 18October 15, 2018 11:04 PM

good.

by Anonymousreply 19October 15, 2018 11:09 PM

R17 You must not have ever lived in the Northwest. His money is all around from sport teams to arenas to museums to donations to many local universities. He wasn't like Steve Jobs who sat on his money and didn't donate any of his wealth.

by Anonymousreply 20October 15, 2018 11:12 PM

Another taken down by Secret Lesbians.

by Anonymousreply 21October 15, 2018 11:14 PM

Damn, 65 is too young.

Is lymphoma genetic? who gets it? smokers?

by Anonymousreply 22October 15, 2018 11:37 PM

He owned the Seattle Seahawks and Portland Trailblazers.

by Anonymousreply 23October 15, 2018 11:40 PM

[quote]beta test versions of others, beter ideas.

Sure r17.

by Anonymousreply 24October 15, 2018 11:44 PM

Cancer can strike anybody down r22. Even with something like lung cancer, a fifth of deaths are from people who have never smoked.

by Anonymousreply 25October 16, 2018 12:26 AM

R20 - Steve Jobs is donating almost all his wealth. What the fuck are you talking about?

by Anonymousreply 26October 16, 2018 12:35 AM

I guess Paul Allen will be donating those billions?

by Anonymousreply 27October 16, 2018 12:45 AM

I dare you to have cancer for 35 years on your salary.

by Anonymousreply 28October 16, 2018 1:07 AM

Liars get cancer. That includes ALL Republicans.

by Anonymousreply 29October 16, 2018 1:29 AM

Wasn't he in American Psycho?

by Anonymousreply 30October 16, 2018 1:54 AM

Long thread on never married secretive Allen after he appeared on 60 Minutes in 2011.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31October 16, 2018 1:57 AM

Long live the resistance!

by Anonymousreply 32October 16, 2018 1:57 AM

There were a lot of hangers on he liked to bring along on his yachts ( so many sometimes he hired an entire cruise ship), his fleet of planes. One regular was douchebag Robbie Robertson who will sorely miss all the perks.

by Anonymousreply 33October 16, 2018 2:18 AM

Monica Seles was his 'one that got away'!

by Anonymousreply 34October 16, 2018 2:23 AM

I know about his "reclusive" rep, but didn't he date Jerry Hall for a long time before she finally hooked up with one of the few men both grosser and wealthier than Allen? (Rupe Murdoch, natch)

R17, I'd suggest listening to R20 and visiting Seattle if you want to see some of the *scores* of facilities he's left as a legacy. He parted ways with Microsoft too early to generate Gates-level wealth, so he couldn't have built anything along the lines of the Gates Foundation, but owning two pro sports teams and funding half the landmarks and collegiate endowments in the Pacific Northwest is nonetheless an impressive feat.

Btw was he an *actual* Repug donor, or is that just standard DL speculation? (e.g. he donated a small amount to Bush 41's campaign 30 years ago and was thus branded with DL's GOP Scarlet Letter for life, despite spreading his wealth among two of the most prominently liberal cities in America)

by Anonymousreply 35October 16, 2018 2:32 AM

Computers might be giving all these tech bros cancer.

by Anonymousreply 36October 16, 2018 2:35 AM

Damn, that's shocking. He's been an important philanthropist and investor in some really important technologies and causes. A real loss.

by Anonymousreply 37October 16, 2018 2:37 AM

Real republican asshole

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38October 16, 2018 2:41 AM

His loss is no more important than anyone else. His wealth will be distributed - and not to the poor. He happened to be one of the first to suck up a huge portion of the worlds wealth via his ability to connect himself to the right tech bully. I’ll weep for my brother who is dying at 42 of cancer and leaving 4 young kids. Paul Allen had a fabulous life and enjoyed more than his share - dying at 65 is nothing to cry over. I hope to live as long and be able to support 4 kids with food and shelter.

by Anonymousreply 39October 16, 2018 2:46 AM

People with HIV, for one, R22.

by Anonymousreply 40October 16, 2018 2:48 AM

Good!

by Anonymousreply 41October 16, 2018 2:53 AM

Paul Allen destroyed Seattle, despite what his whore-sister will tell you.

by Anonymousreply 42October 16, 2018 2:54 AM

He sure did run with a different crowd, the crowd of people who are too rich for their own good. The crowd of people who own their own passenger airplane, and submarine, and yacht, and piles of property everywhere. The crowd for whom taxes and national borders and laws are optional.

-- Comment in The Stranger

by Anonymousreply 43October 16, 2018 2:55 AM

wow, he tweeted 2 weeks ago that the doctors told him his prognosis was good!

by Anonymousreply 44October 16, 2018 3:03 AM

He gave $500 million to brain disease research.

by Anonymousreply 45October 16, 2018 3:05 AM

First that asshole Coors and now this? Winter is coming.

by Anonymousreply 46October 16, 2018 3:06 AM

He gave away over 2 billion in philanthropic causes, $100 million to fight Ebola, for example.

by Anonymousreply 47October 16, 2018 3:10 AM

Yes, he had a lot of money to give. Like to Paul Ryan. As a poster noted, he fucked Seattle with no lube. I have lived in Seattle 50 of my 56 years. Good riddance to trash.

by Anonymousreply 48October 16, 2018 3:13 AM

Sept. 3rd, 2018

[quote]Billionaire Seahawks owner and Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen this year has made his largest-ever foray into congressional politics, donating $100,000 to a group aiming to keep Republicans in control of the U.S. House of Representatives.

[quote]The June 14 donation, disclosed in mid-July, went to Protect the House, a committee headed by House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy, R-Calif. It’s the biggest check Allen has ever sent to a federal political candidate or committee, according to a review of Federal Election Commission (FEC) filings.

by Anonymousreply 49October 16, 2018 3:15 AM

I know brother who run their family jewelry store in Europe ..Allen came in and picked out a load then tried to barter down their dad who was working..the dad said we aren’t doing business and took the items away. Later he sent his bodyguards to buy and gave Allen’s sisters name and address as contact info. She apparently would fly his 737 to LA to shop and she filled the plane and huge storage warehouses with her purchases.

by Anonymousreply 50October 16, 2018 3:17 AM

Brothers ^

by Anonymousreply 51October 16, 2018 3:17 AM

His sister is a bitch on wheels. Makes him look like Mother Teresa...

by Anonymousreply 52October 16, 2018 3:23 AM

I thought this guy was the pianist on the David Letterman Show

by Anonymousreply 53October 16, 2018 3:25 AM

Jody is a class-A bitch

by Anonymousreply 54October 16, 2018 3:34 AM

Wasn’t he infamous for hookers and blow and “yachting”, or am I confusing him with assholes in Silicon Valley?

by Anonymousreply 55October 16, 2018 3:58 AM

Most sites list Laura Harring ("Mulholland Drive") as his girlfriend since 2005. That sounds like 'beard' to me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56October 16, 2018 4:03 AM

Leonardo DiCaprio (Twitter): Sad to hear of the passing of Paul Allen, who was a strong advocate for environmental protection. He and the team at Vulcan played a pivotal role in developing the Shark Conservation Fund alongside LDF. His legacy lives on via his incredible work as a philanthropist and investor.

Yeah but Leo what about those yacht orgies? Come on now...

by Anonymousreply 57October 16, 2018 4:20 AM

R30 His business card even had a watermark!

by Anonymousreply 58October 16, 2018 4:24 AM

It appears the Vulcan contingent is very well represented this evening.

by Anonymousreply 59October 16, 2018 4:25 AM

Bearding? With that amount of fuck you money, why would he find the need for a beard and for throwing lavish yacht parties with the class AAA + hookers if that was not his bent?

If having billions at 60 does not give you the confidence and right to live any damn way you want, whether it's a man with a harem of men or a man with a yacht full of goats then who even cares about being that rich? I am not buying the beard part. I believe that men who are very rich need a presentable hostess/partner for official engagements and public events, and so they pay generously with gifts, jewels, travel and real estate for a suitable woman. I mean, he can't really have a former dancer from Scores or The Spearmint Rhino hosting a reception for Nobel Prize nominees can he?

That's not a beard.

by Anonymousreply 60October 16, 2018 4:25 AM

He never mentioned Monica Seles in his book, so he probably was never with her.

by Anonymousreply 61October 16, 2018 4:25 AM

Ok, rich guys have hostesses, not beards. And a guy hiring a woman to play to role of said hostess is still hiring a woman to play the role a real wife/girlfriend performs, that is to say, a hostess beards for him.

by Anonymousreply 62October 16, 2018 4:34 AM

I worked for a company he owned and we would have to watch company videos of him on his yacht when where we worked didn't pay shit. He seemed like a jerk.

by Anonymousreply 63October 16, 2018 4:38 AM

A former security guard of his swore to me that Allen was gay and “dated” a longtime guy from Harvard. I remember looking him up (forget the name) and he did have an odd role at his company. PA was very philanthropic and quirky. Obsessed with Hollywood, athletes, jimmy Hendrix, his mom and aliens. The city of Mercer island banned him from getting a helicopter pad on his estate so he built a yacht with one on it and docked in front of his house. Money of this magnitude has to change you. His will shall tell us even more

by Anonymousreply 64October 16, 2018 5:09 AM

R56, there were several after Harring. You could spot them sitting with him at Trail Blazers games. One was a tall blonde half his age, European, not a floozy, who was around for several years. Before Harring, there was Gena Gershon (Dave Stewart, one of Allen's besties, introduced them) and Monica Selles. He would also be snapped in Europe during yachting season and Cannes with yacht girls/mocktresses. Also read that sister Jody kept a close watch and would intervene when it was time to break off a problematic fling, including in the workplace.

There were also gay rumors here on DL over the years.

by Anonymousreply 65October 16, 2018 5:16 AM

Who gets his money?

by Anonymousreply 66October 16, 2018 5:22 AM

R60, you contradict yourself. Fuck you money means he CAN have a Rhino stripper on his arm, according to your logic, and the fact that “fuck you money” means just that: fuck you.

by Anonymousreply 67October 16, 2018 5:26 AM

Didn't Monica Seles date him at one point?

by Anonymousreply 68October 16, 2018 5:29 AM

This man would have never gotten laid had he not been wealthy as fuck. Though Allen would have had a huge appeal for the bear chasers, in his youth.

And the idea that Allen had to have his sister intervene in his romantic entanglements, shows who the real brain of the family was/is. No doubt, she’s the Executor of his estate.

Both of these nerds lucked out BIG TIME.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69October 16, 2018 5:37 AM

Washington state taxpayers got the shaft when he pushed through an initiative to have the taxpayers of Washington pay for HIS stadium on Seattle. We're still paying for it, but most of us don't see any benefit (too far away to benefit from sales, food, or hotels.) But he did do some good philanthropy with his money. Mad/sad to hear about his large donation to the Republican House members.

by Anonymousreply 70October 16, 2018 7:09 AM

Seattle is very interested to see what happens with the Allen estate. Unlike Bill Gates, Paul Allen spent a lot of money IN Seattle and endowed and funded a lot of things some silly like his Museum of Pop Culture but also arts groups, and science and health things.

Oh, and beloved things like the Cinerama and the Seahawks.

Bill just funds things in countries full of poor brown people. Seattle ain't that crazy about Bill.

And, Bill's gross "museum" is full of images of Bill and Melinda patting themselves on the back about how they're "saving" the planet.

Paul's museum has Freddy Krueger's glove and Kurt Cobain's fingernail clippings.

We prefer Paul's kitchsy shit, frankly.

by Anonymousreply 71October 16, 2018 7:29 AM

R67 Nope. Of course "fuck you" money means he CAN have anyone from a stripper to a pancake house waitress(a la Tiger) at his side.

What I meant is that he needed a sophisticated, charming companion for certain events so as to assist in playing the host. Strippers aren't the best candidates for making a Nelson Mandela feel at ease or for discussing this year's opera season in Paris with a UN delegate.

My point about the disbelief in the beard concept was that with fuck you money NO ONE should have to pretend they are anything.

Sorry if I did not articulate my point with clarity and eloquence.

by Anonymousreply 72October 16, 2018 7:42 AM

[quote]A former security guard of his swore to me that Allen was gay and “dated” a longtime guy from Harvard. I remember looking him up (forget the name) and he did have an odd role at his company.

You mean the late Ric Weiland, one of the original founders? Gay, a close associate of Allen's, and a Harvard connection. He did much of the original software dev for MS.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73October 16, 2018 8:28 AM

Had he started funding Democrats?

by Anonymousreply 74October 16, 2018 8:31 AM

Sounds like the AIDS got to him

by Anonymousreply 75October 16, 2018 8:42 AM

[quote]Obsessed with Hollywood, athletes, jimmy Hendrix, his mom and aliens.

That’s an odd assortment of interests.

by Anonymousreply 76October 16, 2018 11:32 AM

Agree r75

by Anonymousreply 77October 16, 2018 11:34 AM

Why do these billionaire tech people end up as conservatives? It’s such an odd thing, because other than taxes, there isn’t much else that squares with who most of these people are.

These are usually highly intelligent people. They are all almost 100% atheists, and they are usually well educated enough to know that the two party system is a lot of bullshit. They also know that THEIR money specifically, shapes and controls our country’s future.

So what’s the attraction? It has to be tax breaks.

by Anonymousreply 78October 16, 2018 11:52 AM

R78 If you are a true capitalist, it's the just in the meat of how you think.

I believe that many of the billionaires do vote Republican, but then give massive amounts away in order to ease their social guilt. In a very tiny way in comparison to Allen and his ilk, my family has always followed that model and now that those who built our small fortune are dead, I am continuing the pattern.

Few here will agree or understand this, but just throwing money at the "gubmint" is antithetical to everything I know and believe to be the soundest way to do the most with what I have. If I pay an extra 200K in taxes, how much of that money do you think really goes to those in need or to the rebuilding of the nation's infrastructure? The bulk of it goes to the bureaucracy in government and to ridiculous waste such as funding Trump's 2 million dollar trips to Palm Beach every weekend during the season. Of course I am just citing those as examples.

I have chosen to fund minority student's college educations because I believe the only solution to the racial problems in the US is the raising up of blacks into the middle class. I am constantly tagged as a racist Republican cunt(here) because I am so troubled by the state of racial relations in the US. I have lived through the late period of Jim Crow until now, and I honestly see the relationship between black and white deteriorating at warp speed. If I were to donate half a million to the UNCF each year, perhaps 30%of that would actually reach the kids in need. Much of it would go into fund raising efforts, staffing salaries and travel etc. I want my money to get directly to the target of my concern. I am also funding a chair in an area of academia which I am passionate about and designating it to be granted to black journalists.

I'm not asking for any recognition or even a pat on the back, but I wonder how many of the DLers who accuse me of racism weekly are actually doing something, other than giving lip service, to improve the state of race relation?? I imagine the Paul Allen and others are involved in similar philanthropy on a very large scale.

That is how they sleep at night while voting for the party which does the best job of protecting their fortunes.

by Anonymousreply 79October 16, 2018 12:50 PM

He bought an iconic estate in Beverly Hills and promptly bulldozed it leaving nothing but bare mountain top. Jerk.

by Anonymousreply 80October 16, 2018 12:56 PM

He gave millions to environmental causes and built a 46 million dollar apt complex for the low income and homeless in Portland. Not all Republicans support Trump policies. Look at Max Boot.

by Anonymousreply 81October 16, 2018 12:57 PM

Sell it to someone who's buying R79. Private philanthropy has always existed, but somehow all the major improvements in race relations (and gay rights) followed government action. Ask yourself, why is that?

by Anonymousreply 82October 16, 2018 1:16 PM

R83 I am not "selling" anything. I amcomfortable with what I have chosen to do,

by Anonymousreply 83October 16, 2018 1:19 PM

No you are selling. Lies.

by Anonymousreply 84October 16, 2018 1:26 PM

R82 Seriously? You think there is a major improvement in race relations? We've gone backword 10 fold based on this current government. The only way relations improve is when you live and work with someone. That's why segregated neighborhoods and schools continue to keep this country from moving forward. Why are all the rural areas for Trump. Because they are racists and have never interacted with a minority in their life.

by Anonymousreply 85October 16, 2018 1:27 PM

R79, I appreciate your candid answer to my question.

So, please, explain to me how Republicans use your money best, or protect your small fortune and the large fortune of others?

What bothers me is that even though I absolutely fucking LOVE that you are making sure you find the educations of young African Americans, specifically within the field of journalism, voting for a Republican has made our free press beholden to his bullshit and fodder, due to ratings/profits. They are no longer truly free in their reporting, and when they are, they are framed as reporting “fake new”. So while you and others like you put your money where your mouths are, we take 5 steps back, after taking 2 steps forward. What will journalism mean in our country in our next election, and in the next 20 years?

Also, yes, racial inequality & inequities need to still be addressed, but the reason racism exists has to do more with poor, uneducated whites. What about them? They too, need to be risen up with the water.

We have an education problem. It is a problem that MUST be addressed. Our human capital and resources are so far behind other EU countries.

The politics of division, and MASSIVE misinformation distributed by FOX News, a corporation seeking favorable treatment in the United States by our leadership, in order to have an Australian national get wealthier, makes no sense to me.

I need an explanation as to why otherwise smart, charitable people, sell our fucking citizens out.

by Anonymousreply 86October 16, 2018 1:46 PM

How funny a republican donor blaming non-republicans for Trump. Gaslighting plain and simple. You have the country YOU wanted.

by Anonymousreply 87October 16, 2018 1:50 PM

Actually we spend double on education what Germany does. Our people are not uneducated. They are miseducated, by conservatives, about the nature of government, about economies, about their fellow Americans.

by Anonymousreply 88October 16, 2018 1:56 PM

And the deplorables say exactly the opposite That higher education is the arm of the liberal left. We may spend more than Germany as a country but money in education is unequally distributed among counties and districts and even states.

by Anonymousreply 89October 16, 2018 2:08 PM

R63, yacht and flight crews would agree with your assessment, along with most of his security detail. Among pilots, Vulcan is known as the worst corporate flight operation. But as stated above the sister is the truly vicious one.

by Anonymousreply 90October 16, 2018 2:15 PM

R88, true. However, I’ve been living in a red state for the past year, in order to pursue an education in a completely different field that I have been in, and please, let me tell you that the education systems in red states, or perhaps this particular red state, is completely lacking.

There a few well educated people, where I’m currently attending school (staying home because I’ve a terrible cold for the last few days), and I’ve observed that not only are they miseducated, they are also undereducated.

Red states purposely propagate this. It’s

by Anonymousreply 91October 16, 2018 2:32 PM

You know it's interesting- Allen probably thought with all his $$$, and the positive prognosis, he had this thing completely handled. But then you know, I had a girlfriend who's husband, 42 and in relatively good health, had a 2nd re-occurence of Non- Hopkins Lymphoma. It wasn't the Cancer that took him out- an unexpected heart attack while he was lying down taking a nap. Apparently, a lot of these patients on these different chemo drugs should be put on drug thinners, and he wasn't. Then there's also pneumonia which these patients are very susceptible to. And the last no one here has mentioned: taking yourself out. My friend's husband said the only reason he was going through the grueling cancer treatment was to stay alive for her and their daughter, other-wise he would have let himself go. During his first cancer treatments his colon literally ruptured and he had vowed never to do that again.

by Anonymousreply 92October 16, 2018 2:33 PM

Good point R92. Cancer really is the great equalizer. Yes, money can help access the best treatment. PA got many extra years by being well treated in earlier occurrences. But even the best care can’t stave off death. We all have to die.

My brother is 42 with 4 kids under 16 with terminal cancer and that scenario is what is so painful - knowing 4 kids will grow up damaged and in pain because they lose their father young. Even if he had billlions, it wouldn’t mean a thing. We are so brainwashed in America to think money solves everything - but life and love are the most precious commodities and have nothing to do with money.

by Anonymousreply 93October 16, 2018 3:15 PM

I thought there were rumors about him having yacht parties with male escorts?

by Anonymousreply 94October 16, 2018 3:25 PM

Who gets the Octopus? 🐙🛳🐙🛳🐙🛳

by Anonymousreply 95October 16, 2018 4:22 PM

Evil republican who tried to remake Seattle in his own image. His life will not be missed, his death will not be mourned.

by Anonymousreply 96October 16, 2018 4:35 PM

Thank you, R96. I'm the life long seattlelite who posted before. I knew the city when it was jet city. He destroyed this city.

by Anonymousreply 97October 16, 2018 4:42 PM

R93, money can’t save you, it’s true. And I’m very sorry for your brother and your family. That’s terrible.

by Anonymousreply 98October 16, 2018 5:01 PM

I saw a quote recently. You can tell what God thinks of money by the people who have it.

by Anonymousreply 99October 16, 2018 5:27 PM

He was, apparently, a big art collector (which wealthy person isn't?) and I see curators posting glowing tributes to him on IG.

[quote]Paul G. Allen, co-founder of software giant Microsoft and visionary philanthropist, died yesterday from complications of non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma. He was only 65 years old. I knew Allen as one of the great collectors of his generation, a shy and private man with an extraordinary breadth of taste and a collection that included master works by Brueghel, Canaletto, Turner, Monet, Renoir, Seurat, Klimt, Rothko, Lichtenstein, Freud and Richter, as well as a collection of rare military aircrafts and tanks. “As time goes by, you start to understand the history of the progression of art and how art is evolved, and your taste and your eye develop over that period of time. Some of these works are amazing... so you do feel a real responsibility to keep them safe. You are the custodian. It is a serious responsibility, and I take it as such.” Allen attributed his passion for art and collecting to a visit to the Tate Gallery in London over 30 years ago, where he saw Turner and Roy Lichtenstein’s ‘Whaam!’. He exhibited his collection widely. “If I can give people the same kind of experience that I had going to the Tate and open their eyes to different possibilities of painting and sculpture and other forms of art, that would be a fantastic outcome.” -

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100October 16, 2018 5:49 PM

Who cares!

by Anonymousreply 101October 16, 2018 8:17 PM

Apparently, his sister will take over being the main owner of the Seahawks. Does he have more than one sister? The NFL owners will test her, she'd better be a touch cookie.

by Anonymousreply 102October 16, 2018 8:39 PM

She’s a touch kooky, r102.

Cookie? Only the Chinese fortune cookie that told her that her brother would make her one of the wealthiest women in America.

by Anonymousreply 103October 16, 2018 8:48 PM

Supposedly she doesn't want to own those franchises. I wouldn't be surprised if she sells.

by Anonymousreply 104October 16, 2018 10:38 PM

Is she married? Straight? Lesbian?

by Anonymousreply 105October 16, 2018 11:03 PM

[quote] Strippers aren't the best candidates for making a Nelson Mandela feel at ease or for discussing this year's opera season in Paris with a UN delegate.

Times have changed. Or have you not heard about our First Lady?

by Anonymousreply 106October 16, 2018 11:19 PM

R79 I also appreciate how candid you were with your post. It takes a bit of bravery to post something like that, even if it is anonymous.

I feel like so many here just attack people the second they share that they have different beliefs. Often people asked how someone could vote Republican. Well, we got an answer from someone. You might not agree with him, but at least appreciate the insight into a perspective that differs from your own.

by Anonymousreply 107October 16, 2018 11:19 PM

R107, being a tolerant person doesn't include being okay with intolerance. I guess you're trying to justify being a deplorable

by Anonymousreply 108October 16, 2018 11:32 PM

I get how people block out all the negatives of the Republicans - and even Trumo - because of a core belief. I do/did the same with gay rights and Democrats. Nothing Democrats do will make me vote Republican instead. That’s why we are polarized. Political belief has replaced religion.

I will never cross to that side because I see it as intrinsically evil. They will never cross to this side because they believe we are ..... naive, unrealistic, too soft, whatever. That’s why everyone battles over the very few voters in the middle. Since the Nixon Southern strategy created wedge issues, politics has divided us more and more each election cycle. I am not hopeful for a solution.

by Anonymousreply 109October 17, 2018 3:56 AM

R71, believe me, Seattle isn't that crazy about Paul either.

by Anonymousreply 110October 17, 2018 4:18 AM

Paying your taxes orderly is certainly more social than philantrophy.

by Anonymousreply 111October 17, 2018 4:19 AM

These Republican billionaires have encouraged the cutting of the American safety net. I don’t see anyone but the government providing affordable healthcare. Medicaid, Medicare, Obamacare — they are trying to take it all and they are going to leave us with what — football stadiums? educational grants? Theaters?

Fuck ‘em.

by Anonymousreply 112October 17, 2018 4:26 AM

R112 nailed i.

by Anonymousreply 113October 17, 2018 4:27 AM

Nailed IT.

by Anonymousreply 114October 17, 2018 4:28 AM

Vulcans, speak: Tell DL about the numerous Seattle shelters PA funded to house the homeless, abused, and those in need. Name 'em.

by Anonymousreply 115October 17, 2018 4:36 AM

[quote] Sell it to someone who's buying [R79]. Private philanthropy has always existed, but somehow all the major improvements in race relations (and gay rights) followed government action. Ask yourself, why is that?

R79 has been heavily pushing the "Clinton will run in 2020" angle. Make of it what you will.

by Anonymousreply 116October 17, 2018 4:42 AM

Only r79 can fix it.

by Anonymousreply 117October 17, 2018 4:44 AM

Oh sweetie R115, Gates and Allen only think Africans deserve charity. Americans, they think, choose poverty.

by Anonymousreply 118October 17, 2018 4:57 AM

OP here. I blocked just a few people a long time ago on DL, it was due to their having different policies or beliefs - it was because they were shit-stirring assholes.

Needless to say, R79's post was, and is, not visible to me.

by Anonymousreply 119October 17, 2018 5:38 AM

Same here, R119. I have R79 on block, and I only block pro-Trump and anti-Dem trolls.

by Anonymousreply 120October 17, 2018 5:53 AM

R116 I have just been catching up on this thread and I was shocked to read your post in which you said I was pushing the "Clinton in 2020" in other threads.

I am going to assume that you simply made an honest mistake or misread. In one thousand lifetimes I would never wish a replay of 2016.

I did however make one post, and I wouldn't call that pushing, saying that I would support Biden over Trump should JB decide to run. Biden would be a great steward of my investments, and he is a caring and decent man.

by Anonymousreply 121October 17, 2018 8:12 AM

I'm sorry^^^^ I should have signed the above post

by Anonymousreply 122October 17, 2018 8:13 AM

R119 and R120 That's what's wrong with this place these days.

If R79 is a shit stirrer or a Deplorable then god help us all. That was one of the most civil and honest comments I've ever read her. Not a goddam thing deplorable about it.

by Anonymousreply 123October 18, 2018 2:56 PM

R112 is spot on.

What do I want done with my taxes? And even with your taxes?

Well, for starters, let’s educate EVERYONE. Every kid who wants it, and can hack it. Free education and higher education for all who want it.

I want EVERYONE to have access to quality medical care. Everyone gets health insurance.

I want the poor helped. I want them to have affordable housing, and decent, healthy food on their tables.

I want the elderly who are all alone, to be properly cared for.

I want top not infrastructure. Our roads and bridges should be in the best shape, in the world!

I want gays and lesbians to be protected with the same protections everyone else gets. They want to get married and adopt children? They pay taxes too! I do not want religious nut jobs telling them, or me, a straight woman, that they are not entitled to EVERYTHING I am entitled to. There is no distinction between them, and I. Same with the trans. I may not see eye to eye with transgenders regarding many things, but no fucking way do I want them to be discriminated against.

I want museums, I want music, and I want a constant flourishing of all the arts. If you are wealthy, and you are contributing to this, thank you. It is part of what makes everything that is wrong, tolerable. And I’m sure we would all appreciate it more, if we weren’t worried about not having access to free birth control, or worrying about how I can fly to a different state, in order to get an abortion. I do not want anyone in a church, or our government, to tell me, or any woman, what we can do with our bodies. For those of you who read these threads, and who work in government: most of you don’t give one flying fuck if I get an abortion. Shit, plenty of you don’t even believe in God, yet you pander to people who you very well know are nut jobs, in order for you to have a job. This isn’t altruism, this is insano, and you all very well know it.

And I want free speech. I want to know that if I write about a government leader, or party, who/that I disagree with, I won’t end up in jail, or dead, like journalists do in fucking Turkey, when walking into an embassy. The fact that this man was murdered in cold blood by the Saudis, in their consulate, and all of you republicans in office are playing hide the salami with his dismembered body, and with the truth, is completely obvious, and truly disgusting. And you have people like the rich guy upthread, whose candor I do appreciate, yet votes for people who don’t seem to value journalistic integrity as much as he does. He wants black journalists to even the playing field? Well, our government doesn’t seem to give a fuck about journalists at this time, correct?

Republicans and conservatives have stopped caring about the world they live in, long ago. They are under the misinformed belief, that they can do whatever they want, and that the constituents will all have to grin and bear it. Not so.

The world we live in is fragile. We are causing its destruction via global warming, and all sorts of discord. What do you wealthy republicans and even poor ones, think is going to happen if we continue to chip away at values and ethics that make us good citizens?

You are really delusional and sick people. You don’t seem to realize that if you get everything you want, you and you descendants will eventually have NO ONE to share it with, and no where to share it.

I will do everything I can do in my own way, at my capacity, to make sure everyone I speak to understands between now and midterms, how absolutely vital it is to vote all of you people out of office. You have no decency, and we are ashamed to have your sort in leadership.

by Anonymousreply 124October 18, 2018 4:09 PM

The privilege of the obscenely wealthy...not a peep even in local media on the circumstances of his death or funeral plans. From the veiled comments of the company CEO in a media scrum on Monday, it was 'fairly sudden...it happened rather quickly' which probably means heart attack or stroke resulting from his weakened condition and the chemo, although I have no medical background. He had developed heart problems about a decade ago, and Seahawks coach Pete Carroll said he looked sick and weak the last time he saw him and had been unable to attend any pre-season games. Apparently blood cancer is a bitch and unforgiving when it returns.

by Anonymousreply 125October 18, 2018 4:26 PM

R79 has a helpful insight. We need to hear and understand their thinking more.

I do think that thinking is flawed because it allows individuals to decide what the social good is - not society. I agree the government is not efficient - nor are most nonprofits. But i believe our government is a better representative of society’s needs than billionaires. I would rather the 1% be taxed heavily and 60-65% of that go to government driven investments ( health care, social services, infrastructure) even if 35%+ is wasted than allow billionaires to decide where - and if - they want to give. High taxes - like in Scandinavia - work better than subjective, random, voluntary contributions from high net worth families.

Tax policy already benefits the rich. Capital gains and inheritance taxes are a social crime. That the rich pay lower taxes on earnings from their investments than the middle class do on hard earned wages - and rich kids who have received benefits of wealth all their life and a leg up in the capitalism game already pay no taxes when given huge sums upon their parents death - is morally wrong.

by Anonymousreply 126October 18, 2018 4:30 PM

DEAD REPUG = GOOD

by Anonymousreply 127October 18, 2018 4:34 PM

Monica Seles, altho this is a few years after she ditched him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128October 18, 2018 4:48 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129October 20, 2018 2:01 AM

We were told communism could never work beause nobody is smart enough to plan a complex modern economy, no matter how smart. And yet we allow idiot billionaries to run our economy and they don't even pretend care about any of us.

by Anonymousreply 130October 20, 2018 4:30 AM

An economy planned by Bill Gates and Paul Allen is literally the same thing as one planned by Leonid Brezhnev and Yuri Andropov.

by Anonymousreply 131October 20, 2018 4:31 AM

He might be a more recent convert to the GOP, he used to be very leftwing, not rightwing. Also, his sister most likely is getting the entire estate and she also used to be leftwing but I imagine, they both became rightwing along the line somewhere. And I'm willing to bet Jody Allen will be continuing the donations.

by Anonymousreply 132October 20, 2018 4:51 AM

For all his money, he couldn't fix his teeth?

RIP Paul Allen.

I think he built the Rock and Roll Hall of fame in Cleveland OH? why the fuck did he build it in OH?

by Anonymousreply 133October 20, 2018 5:07 AM

You’re thinking of the EMP, Rose/R133.

by Anonymousreply 134October 20, 2018 3:06 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135October 22, 2018 12:40 AM

It's now "MoPop," r134, the Museum of Popular Culture.

by Anonymousreply 136October 22, 2018 1:59 AM

I am aware of that, R136. I live less than a mile away.

by Anonymousreply 137October 22, 2018 3:46 AM

It bodes ill for our self-images if we consider him one of ours. It is mostly this:

[quote]Most men just want to have sex, then go play with their toys.

by Anonymousreply 138October 23, 2018 4:20 PM

Planned economies can’t work - right? That’s what we were told for decades as an article of faith of capitalism. But - whoops - communist China somehow created a planned economy that is blowing ours away. As an economics major, I have seen basic theories of economics completely contradicted. The idea that we can’t integrate socialism into our society is a blatant falsehood that even many on the left believe. We can’t continue to buy into the idea that socialism won’t work - just like Deplorables realized we can’t accept globalism as necessary. Just like it was in the 1930s when capitalist fascists were fighting socialists and certain countries decided they would prefer fascism over socialism, now is an opportunity to try socialism instead of the fascism that the right has sold as a better alternative to the ever-feared socialism.

by Anonymousreply 139October 23, 2018 4:28 PM

Wonder who Jody flew in for the occasion. This is just like the yacht parties where the guest list was always hush hush but a Page Six blurb would conveniently appear.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140November 23, 2018 4:19 AM

He is now home with the Lord.

by Anonymousreply 141November 23, 2018 4:42 AM

A lot of these so called billionaires don't have a soul to speak of. There's something very unhuman about a lot of them. It's like the only thing that matters is getting more money, and obtaining more power.

I never really feel bad when I hear about wealthy asshole country club types dying or bad things happening to them.

Wealthy frat boys and country club types don't matter to me.

Whatever.

by Anonymousreply 142November 23, 2018 4:18 PM

Agree R142. A little sickening how they are fawned over when they die. Welcome to modern capitalism where wealth=importance. Social, intellectual, artistic or religious contributions have become irrelevant. It’s all about money. A sad, shallow, deeply unsatisfying life goal. But unfortunately one that has been prioritized in America - and now around the world - with increasing intensity over the past 30+ years.

by Anonymousreply 143November 23, 2018 4:32 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!