Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Iron Fist axed by Netflix after two seasons

October 12, 2018

EXCLUSIVE: Just over a month after its significantly improved second season launched on Netflix, the streaming service has delivered a knockout cancellation punch to Marvel’s Iron Fist

“Marvel’s Iron Fist will not return for a third season on Netflix,” said the Disney-owned comic giant and the streamer in a joint statement to Deadline today. “Everyone at Marvel Television and Netflix is proud of the series and grateful for all of the hard work from our incredible cast, crew and showrunners,” Marvel and Netflix added. “We’re thankful to the fans who have watched these two seasons, and for the partnership we’ve shared on this series. While the series on Netflix has ended, the immortal Iron Fist will live on.”

This is the first small screen series termination from the comic giant by the Reed Hastings run Netflix and a hard blow for the Finn Jones and Jessica Henwick led show about the mystically empowered NYC-based marital arts hero and Defenders member. Cast members on the series that as most recently run by Raven Metzner were informed of the cancellation in the last few hours, I hear.

Of course, while out for the count at Netflix, the tale of billionaire Danny Rand and Colleen Wing may “live on,” to quote Friday’s statement, on other platforms. That “other” being the streaming service that Disney is expected to launch next year, which already has series on Marvel fan favorites Loki and the Scarlet Witch in the pipeline, with Tom Hiddleston and Elizabeth Olsen expect to reprise their big screen roles. I hear that while Marvel wanted Iron Fist to continue on Netflix, the parent company’s new rival to the streamer has put the idea of a resurrection in consideration as it fosters the likes of the already announced Jon Favreau produced Star Wars series too.

At present, a migration of the other three Marvel series that evolved out of the lucrative 2013 deal between Disney and Netflix is not in the cards. A third season of the Krysten Ritter led Jessica Jones was order in April and a third season of fellow Defender Luke Cage is expected to get the formal go-ahead any day now. The first Marvel series to appear on the streamer back in 2015, Daredevil‘s third season is about to launch on Netflix on October 19.

The expectation is the apparently widely watched and critically acclaimed tale of the Man Without Fear will be back for a fourth Charlie Cox led season. Daredevil spinoff The Punisher was given a second Jon Bernthal fronted season in late 2017, soon after Season 1 launched.

So, where ever Iron Fist does or doesn’t land, there’s still a lot of Marvel to come for a while on Netflix.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43October 27, 2018 9:59 PM

Netflix fucked it up by rushing into things in order to have their own The Avengers franchise. The second season was decent, but not really that much happened. Without The Hand as big enemy organization the whole season kind of fizzled.

by Anonymousreply 1October 13, 2018 8:44 AM

It’s too bad it’ll all get laid at Finn Jones feet.

by Anonymousreply 2October 13, 2018 8:49 AM

AKA its going to Disney streaming. Along with all the others.

by Anonymousreply 3October 13, 2018 8:56 AM

Disney will reboot it with a new cast. They will want to make a clear and distinctive cut between Netflix and their own brand.

by Anonymousreply 4October 13, 2018 9:02 AM

I liked Iron Fist's first season more than any other Netflix Marvel show besides Daredevil's first season which is still the only truly good Marvel Netflix show. Iron Fist certainly was not great tv, actually it was almost bad at times. but I really liked Finn Jones' Danny Rand. Yes it's partly my dick talking but so what. He managed to make Danny an extremely stong character and it was so weird to see everyone hate him since he was doing a totally fine job. His Danny IS slightly dim and childlike, which really makes the character so likable.

Jessica Jones, The Defenders and Luke Cage were nice to a point but they all had the same weakness Netflix shows tends to have: Too much filler with too weak, and quite frankly stupid storylines. All those shows felt like they came from the same factory line which somehow manages to makes them soulless and odorless. I haven't even bothered with the second seasons of JJ and Luke Cage. I'll probably check out DD season 3 but since season 2 wasn't all that I'm not expecting much. Since I only now resubscribed to Netflix after like a year I haven't yet seen Iron Fist season 2. It's been getting good reviews which probably means it's up to the same shitty factory line standard as other Marvel shows there. But since I like Finn's Danny so much I'll probably like it at least a little.

by Anonymousreply 5October 13, 2018 9:17 AM

I thought Iron Fist 2 got terrible reviews.

by Anonymousreply 6October 13, 2018 10:12 AM

R6, oh yes, I took a closer look and season 2 is only at 39% at Metacritic. The few reviews I came by were saying the show is now much better but apparently not enough to make most reviewers like it. As a comparison season 1 of Jessica Jones has 81% at Metacritic which is just total nonsense. The show did start strong but when you stretch a story that normally fills like 4 or 5 episodes into 13 episodes you don't have a 10/10 show like some reviewers claimed.

And funnily enough some The Defenders reviewers said Finn Jones' Danny Rand was one of the main things bringing the quality of the show down. Honestly, I can't understand what is it with his Danny Rand that makes some people go apeshit.

by Anonymousreply 7October 13, 2018 11:08 AM

THANK GOD!

That show was horrible! Finn was beautiful but they didn't give Danny Rand anything noteworthy .

Jessica Jones has a strong, but tortured female lead. Luke Cage has a lot of passion and masculinity. Daredevil has so very much ( Wilson Fisk, Stick, Elektra) to add to it's already modern Phillip Marlowe setting!

by Anonymousreply 8October 13, 2018 12:13 PM

R7 a lot of that I believe was wokies who were mad st him (FJ) for not refusing to play the character. Apparently who was supposed to refuse on the grounds that the character should have been reimagined as Asian. Cause martial arts.

by Anonymousreply 9October 13, 2018 12:19 PM

I imagine all of these Marvel shows will get canceled because the license agreement wasn't renewed.

by Anonymousreply 10October 13, 2018 12:25 PM

R7 b/c he is hot. That is why people "like" his Danny Rand.

He's like Alex Pettyfer: nice to look at, but no chemistry with other actors.

by Anonymousreply 11October 14, 2018 10:34 AM

It’s not Finn’s fault per se, but I think part of people’s issue with Iron Fist is that he’s supposed to be his martial arts expert, but he’s scrawny, and completely not acrobatic. Finn isn’t thin and super cut (eg Bruce Lee); he’s just literally skinny. And he’s not a great actor, TBH.

It’s poor casting. They didn’t need an Asian actor; they just needed someone who could believably fight.

by Anonymousreply 12October 14, 2018 11:57 AM

I liked it. It was less miserable than the others.

by Anonymousreply 13October 14, 2018 12:02 PM

Finn Jones was terrible in the role; he’s wooden and has no charisma. I was not surprised that season 2 was more of an ensemble show. I’m sure some of the characters will show up on the other shows: Colleen will undoubtedly show up on Luke Cage to see Misty. I wouldn’t mind seeing Typhoid Mary and Ward as well. As long as Danny just stays canceled.

by Anonymousreply 14October 14, 2018 12:21 PM

The writing was awful in the first season. Finn Jones is emphatically not a good actor, but other with more experience were as bad, or worse. David Wenham went on a steady diet of scenery, and Tom Pelphrey is unwatchable -- he's a fucking nightmare.

by Anonymousreply 15October 14, 2018 12:51 PM

I guess Finn Jones needs to stick to hot, but low impact roles like pre-jail Loras Tyrell. We see his face, he implies sucking cock, pillowtalks with his bf, and that’s it.

by Anonymousreply 16October 14, 2018 1:04 PM

I agree r12. It bugged me that Finn Jones had zero muscle definition. Didn't look like a badass fighter at all.

by Anonymousreply 17October 14, 2018 1:10 PM

Poor Jessica Stroup just can't catch a break.

by Anonymousreply 18October 14, 2018 3:41 PM

Even though the show was pretty poorly regarded, I am still surprised they are cancelling it.

Still, it is undoubtedly a lesser venture that never had as much creative passion as Daredevil, Jessica Jones and Luke Cage had.

The other shows you could feel the team behind it cared, with Iron Fist it seemed like they were doing it because they had to.

by Anonymousreply 19October 14, 2018 6:28 PM

He'll be back if they do a second season of The Defenders.

by Anonymousreply 20October 16, 2018 6:11 AM

Noo! I liked this show more than Luke Cage, which was just exhausting to watch.

I don't know what everyone's deal was with Finn either. He seemed fine to me. I do think he should have bulked up more for the role, though.

by Anonymousreply 21October 16, 2018 6:14 AM

I liked the first season of Daredevil, but they've all been downhill since then.

I still like Jessica Jones mainly because of the lead.

by Anonymousreply 22October 16, 2018 6:31 AM

He was such a goofball looking actor.

by Anonymousreply 23October 16, 2018 6:51 AM

Finn Jones said he worked hard for 5 or 6 months undergoing martial arts training, his body had a little more muscle in the second season.. However, his co-star Jessica Henwick had better moves and acted more like a martial artist than Finn. She then took up more scenes than he did and it made his character look weaker.

by Anonymousreply 24October 16, 2018 6:57 AM

I don't know what the hell some of you are on about. He gave off no sexual heat at all.

by Anonymousreply 25October 16, 2018 6:59 AM

He had sexual heat in GOT with his male co-stars but when it came to his love scenes with his female co-stars, he acts so stiff, like he's allergic to women.

by Anonymousreply 26October 16, 2018 7:08 AM

They announced after the first one they were unlikely to do it again r20. It's not like it was even well received, not worth the effort.

by Anonymousreply 27October 16, 2018 3:10 PM

[quote]I don't know what the hell some of you are on about. He gave off no sexual heat at all.

Maybe it's because I've spent time with Hindu monks that I like Finn Jones in his role. He absolutely nails the 'spent years in a monastery and is out of sync with modern life and adulthood' feel some of those guys have. His Danny Rand seems very sweet and pure, and that's definitely the biggest asset the show has. I don't find him very sexual as Danny Rand, and I never really bought his and Colleen Wing's romance, since they are more like siblings together.

But like I said earlier I like Finn Jones in his role partly because I do find his Danny Rand very appealing, and it is partly my dick talking.

by Anonymousreply 28October 16, 2018 5:15 PM

[quote]He had sexual heat in GOT with his male co-stars but when it came to his love scenes with his female co-stars, he acts so stiff, like he's allergic to women.

I think Finn Jones is gay.

His IG likes & follows provide clues to that, as does his lack of dating history with women.

by Anonymousreply 29October 16, 2018 6:05 PM

Male actors are never convincing as Superheroes if they are gay in real life

by Anonymousreply 30October 17, 2018 3:31 AM

Luke Cage just got cancelled too. I'm less upset about that one, because that series was just exhausting to watch. Daredevil is getting that way, too. And that's also why I didn't like the first season of Jessica Jones because she was all I WAS RAPED in every scene. "JESSICA DO YOU WANT A SANDWICH? NO BECAUSE I WAS RAPED!!!!" *dark depressing music montage*

by Anonymousreply 31October 23, 2018 5:15 AM

R31, I just finished watching Daredevil Season 3 and I just loved it. Season 3 of Daredevil is getting rave reviews. The cancellation of Iron Fist and Luke Cage is not a great loss to Netflix as Daredevil will be.

by Anonymousreply 32October 23, 2018 6:06 AM

[quote]Finn Jones was terrible in the role; he’s wooden and has no charisma. I

Everyone acted circles around Finn Jones. He was horribly miscast. They addressed the problem too late by shifting the story to the women in the second season. If Season 2 had of been Season 1 I have no doubt the show would have been renewed since they addressed all of the issues in every negative review of S1 in S2.

Luke Cage was great, but exhausting at times to watch. Alfre Woodward gave the performance of a lifetime and was clearly in a much better show than everyone else. The show would have been better, as would all of these shows, if they cut a few episodes out entirely. The issue with Cage was related to "creative differences" and Netflix walked away.

by Anonymousreply 33October 23, 2018 6:14 AM

Luke Cage was fantastic when he was paired with Jessica Jones in her Season 1. Then he betrayed her for no real reason at the end for Plot Purposes.

by Anonymousreply 34October 23, 2018 1:25 PM

[quote]Everyone acted circles around Finn Jones. He was horribly miscast.

Finn should have stuck to scenes where he's bedding male hookers:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35October 23, 2018 10:04 PM

Netflix may have axed Iron Fist to reboot later with a new male lead. I liked Finn Jones but he is better as a supporting actor, like he was as Loras in GOT.

I read that Netflix are still owners of these Marvel characters--Daredevil, Iron Fist, Luke Cage, etc--- and Disney cannot take it away to develop for their own streaming service. So I assume Netflix will renew DareDevil since season 3 is getting great reviews. They may start a Heroes for Hire franchise but who knows as The Defenders didn't work out. I don't know why they can't continue with the Marvel characters they supposedly own since they're a surer bet than the other crap they've been throwing money at.

by Anonymousreply 36October 24, 2018 2:06 AM

Defenders didn't work out? Are they not making a season two?

The plot in Defenders was a bit weak and didn't make logical sense, but it was nice seeing the team work together, sort of. Daredevil doesn't seem to work well with others.

Now if they can just bring in Constantine...

by Anonymousreply 37October 27, 2018 7:10 AM

The Defenders didn't get great reviews and I heard Netflix may not attempt a sequel. However, people are raving about Daredevil Season 3. It would be foolish for Netflix to cancel DD.

I'm not sure who owns Constantine. If he is a Marvel character, it will go to Disney.

by Anonymousreply 38October 27, 2018 7:17 AM

Constantine is a DC character and nothing to do with any of this directly.

by Anonymousreply 39October 27, 2018 11:55 AM

This is Netflix marketing to drum up publicity for the shows. They're going to try to keep these characters from Disney.

They'll likely soon announce a Iron Fist/Luke Cage - Heroes of Hire series and another Missy Knight/Coleen Wing - Daughters of the Dragon series.

by Anonymousreply 40October 27, 2018 12:33 PM

Iron Fist? Was Steve Grand in this, or was this in him?

by Anonymousreply 41October 27, 2018 12:43 PM

This guy explains why Netflix won't do Heroes for Hire series-- too expensive to get all the actors together. Disney won't steal these 3rd rate characters, they have lots to chose from the Avengers in the MCU. However, he said that Iron Fist and Luke Cage may do cameos in DD or Jessica Jones.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42October 27, 2018 8:03 PM

I've said this before here r40, but the "Heroes for Hires" talk is just fanboy delusion. They don't want to believe those shows actually got cancelled.

by Anonymousreply 43October 27, 2018 9:59 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!