Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What are the best day trips from your city?

Weekend stays, small towns nearby, places you can drive to or take a train for a few hours, and escape the noise from your city.

by Anonymousreply 3710/15/2018

Santa Barbara.

by Anonymousreply 110/12/2018

The Hudson Valley

by Anonymousreply 210/12/2018

The Laurel Highlands

by Anonymousreply 310/12/2018

Melk and the Wachau. Take the train out, and a boat back.

by Anonymousreply 410/12/2018

It’s sort of a tourist trap, but I do enjoy Catalina Island once a year. Especially if you get out of the main strip in Avalon when the cruise ships dock and it gets overrun.

Julian is nice in fall. Ojai not during summer is nice for riding your bike or hiking in the nearby Los Padres National Forest.

South of the border, the wine country in Baja California is very nice. Some good wines and excellent food.

The further north along PCH 1 is beautiful as you approach Big Sur, although that’s not really much of a day trip from LA anymore.

by Anonymousreply 510/12/2018

Charlottesville for sophisticated, small town charm. Home of the University of Virginia, lots of independent bookstores, and nearby wineries to tour.

For a taste of the big city, Washington DC. Museums galore, great restaurants and hotels and for this rube, people watching.

by Anonymousreply 610/12/2018

I live in the Hudson Valley in a charming hamlet so I do a reverse day trip to the city now and then.

by Anonymousreply 710/12/2018

If you’re a fan of the desert, the Kelso dunes in the Mojave are worth a trip to see scenery that looks straight out of the Sahara.

If you ask most Angelenos, millions will tell you San Diego. Although personally, I don’t really “get” SD. I don’t dislike it, it just feels like a smaller, cleaner LA, or more and more, like a continuation of the Orange County suburbs.

by Anonymousreply 810/12/2018

Ithaca New York and the Finger Lakes Region, Amish Country, the Catskills and some of the smaller towns on the Jersey Shore

by Anonymousreply 910/12/2018

The Cotswolds.

by Anonymousreply 1010/12/2018

Big Sur, Carmel, Monterey

by Anonymousreply 1110/12/2018

San Jose, but I never get there

by Anonymousreply 1210/12/2018

The Michigan coast.

by Anonymousreply 1310/12/2018

R8 take a hike in Torrey Pines down to the Del Mar beach - incredibly lovely. One of the most beautiful hikes in California. The only equivalent to this in the US is the Na Pali coast in Kauai.

by Anonymousreply 1410/12/2018

R14, that looks beautiful. I am a major fan of Black’s Beach, so maybe I need to take a weekend and explore more of the SD that I’m unfamiliar with.

by Anonymousreply 1510/12/2018

Bar Harbor.

by Anonymousreply 1610/12/2018

I live on the Jersey shore and the best day trips are to NYC and New Hope PA.

by Anonymousreply 1710/12/2018

The Oregon Coast, Mt. Hood, Columbia River Gorge, Olympic Peninsula, Bend, Oregon, Mt. St. Helens, Mt. Adams, my. Rainier, Leavenworth, WA.

by Anonymousreply 1810/12/2018

Actually, this place is beautiful

by Anonymousreply 1910/13/2018

I will say that one of the things I don't like about living in DC is the day trip options kind of suck. If you are into places like Williamsburg, Charlottesville and Annapolis that's fine but to me they're all boring.

by Anonymousreply 2010/13/2018

Lancaster County, Hershey, Gettysburg, Baltimore, NYC, DC.

by Anonymousreply 2110/13/2018

Lake Rabun

by Anonymousreply 2210/13/2018

Philly has no good day trips. New Hope and Lancaster have both been turned into exurbia. Jersey Shore and Rehoboth are ugly. The Poconos are filled with run down deplorable towns.

I envy DC - I would like to have Charlottesville or the Eastern Shore of MD as day trip/weekend spots.

by Anonymousreply 2310/13/2018

Potsdam

by Anonymousreply 2410/13/2018

Why jet to Europe, when you have nearby Helen, Ga ?

by Anonymousreply 2510/13/2018

I think SoCal has the most options of any place in the US.

by Anonymousreply 2610/13/2018

I live near Asheville, NC. Why would I want to go anywhere else?

by Anonymousreply 2710/13/2018

Rikers Island

by Anonymousreply 2810/13/2018

Boston is day trip nirvana

by Anonymousreply 2910/13/2018

Agree Boston and LA are the best cities for day trips. Also San Francisco.

by Anonymousreply 3010/13/2018

Tucson, Sedona, Flagstaff, Prescott, Jerome

by Anonymousreply 3110/13/2018

Train trip to la posada. Though more a weekend trip.

by Anonymousreply 3210/13/2018

To add a few more suggestions:

The Angeles Forest and San Gabriel mountains are underrated day trips for Angelenos. Drive up the Angeles Crest Highway or Highway 39, up beyond the front country mountains, and you have entire pristine chaparral and mountains that make you forget you’re only an hour away from 15 million other people. The first come, first serve, unreservable Buckhorn campground is the nicest one in the entire area.

Antelope Valley Poppy reserve is cool to check out entire meadow of poppies when they are in full bloom.

Big Bear, Green Valley Lake, and Crestline are nice for renting a cabin up in the San Bernardino mountains.

Palm Springs makes for a fun weekend if you rent an AirBnB or VRBO in the movie colony with friends and spend your time having poolside drinks and enjoying the weather and slow vibe. Take the aerial tramway up to Mt. San Jacinto for cooler temperatures.

by Anonymousreply 3310/14/2018

Willamette Valley Wine Country

by Anonymousreply 3410/14/2018

I live on the Kitsap peninsula, so it's a short drive to the Hood Canal Bridge and the Olympic Peninsula. Take your pick of Lake Crescent (and the Lodge), the ocean beaches (I'm partial to Kalaloch but Ruby Beach has the sea stacks), the rainforest, some picturesque lighthouses and the broad sandy beaches at Westport. You can see whales and pods of orca from,pretty much any point on the ocean coast. There's also Forks to the north and Aberdeen to the south if you're into morbid artistic pilgrimages (Twilight, Cobain).

Or you can take a ferry to one of islands like Whidbey or Or as--both have plenty of charming towns, inns, etc., if you prefer that to camping, hiking and fishing.

by Anonymousreply 3510/15/2018

I have no idea what any of R35 ‘s proper nouns represent - lol

by Anonymousreply 3610/15/2018

Sorry, R36, I just assumed references to the Pacific Ocean, Olympic Mountains, orca whales, Twilight and Kurt Cobain would have pretty firmly established the location, but for the less swift there's

by Anonymousreply 3710/15/2018
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Don't you just LOVE clicking on these things on every single site you visit? I know we do! You can thank the EU parliament for making everyone in the world click on these pointless things while changing absolutely nothing. If you are interested you can take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT and we'll set a dreaded cookie to make it go away. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!