Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What are the best day trips from your city?

Weekend stays, small towns nearby, places you can drive to or take a train for a few hours, and escape the noise from your city.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37October 15, 2018 10:11 PM

Santa Barbara.

by Anonymousreply 1October 12, 2018 4:25 PM

The Hudson Valley

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2October 12, 2018 5:51 PM

The Laurel Highlands

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3October 12, 2018 6:14 PM

Melk and the Wachau. Take the train out, and a boat back.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4October 12, 2018 6:37 PM

It’s sort of a tourist trap, but I do enjoy Catalina Island once a year. Especially if you get out of the main strip in Avalon when the cruise ships dock and it gets overrun.

Julian is nice in fall. Ojai not during summer is nice for riding your bike or hiking in the nearby Los Padres National Forest.

South of the border, the wine country in Baja California is very nice. Some good wines and excellent food.

The further north along PCH 1 is beautiful as you approach Big Sur, although that’s not really much of a day trip from LA anymore.

by Anonymousreply 5October 12, 2018 7:25 PM

Charlottesville for sophisticated, small town charm. Home of the University of Virginia, lots of independent bookstores, and nearby wineries to tour.

For a taste of the big city, Washington DC. Museums galore, great restaurants and hotels and for this rube, people watching.

by Anonymousreply 6October 12, 2018 7:39 PM

I live in the Hudson Valley in a charming hamlet so I do a reverse day trip to the city now and then.

by Anonymousreply 7October 12, 2018 7:43 PM

If you’re a fan of the desert, the Kelso dunes in the Mojave are worth a trip to see scenery that looks straight out of the Sahara.

If you ask most Angelenos, millions will tell you San Diego. Although personally, I don’t really “get” SD. I don’t dislike it, it just feels like a smaller, cleaner LA, or more and more, like a continuation of the Orange County suburbs.

by Anonymousreply 8October 12, 2018 7:51 PM

Ithaca New York and the Finger Lakes Region, Amish Country, the Catskills and some of the smaller towns on the Jersey Shore

by Anonymousreply 9October 12, 2018 8:01 PM

The Cotswolds.

by Anonymousreply 10October 13, 2018 12:29 AM

Big Sur, Carmel, Monterey

by Anonymousreply 11October 13, 2018 12:33 AM

San Jose, but I never get there

by Anonymousreply 12October 13, 2018 2:10 AM

The Michigan coast.

by Anonymousreply 13October 13, 2018 2:11 AM

R8 take a hike in Torrey Pines down to the Del Mar beach - incredibly lovely. One of the most beautiful hikes in California. The only equivalent to this in the US is the Na Pali coast in Kauai.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14October 13, 2018 2:13 AM

R14, that looks beautiful. I am a major fan of Black’s Beach, so maybe I need to take a weekend and explore more of the SD that I’m unfamiliar with.

by Anonymousreply 15October 13, 2018 2:29 AM

Bar Harbor.

by Anonymousreply 16October 13, 2018 2:46 AM

I live on the Jersey shore and the best day trips are to NYC and New Hope PA.

by Anonymousreply 17October 13, 2018 2:52 AM

The Oregon Coast, Mt. Hood, Columbia River Gorge, Olympic Peninsula, Bend, Oregon, Mt. St. Helens, Mt. Adams, my. Rainier, Leavenworth, WA.

by Anonymousreply 18October 13, 2018 3:10 AM

Actually, this place is beautiful

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19October 13, 2018 12:04 PM

I will say that one of the things I don't like about living in DC is the day trip options kind of suck. If you are into places like Williamsburg, Charlottesville and Annapolis that's fine but to me they're all boring.

by Anonymousreply 20October 13, 2018 1:19 PM

Lancaster County, Hershey, Gettysburg, Baltimore, NYC, DC.

by Anonymousreply 21October 13, 2018 1:51 PM

Lake Rabun

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22October 13, 2018 2:05 PM

Philly has no good day trips. New Hope and Lancaster have both been turned into exurbia. Jersey Shore and Rehoboth are ugly. The Poconos are filled with run down deplorable towns.

I envy DC - I would like to have Charlottesville or the Eastern Shore of MD as day trip/weekend spots.

by Anonymousreply 23October 13, 2018 3:06 PM

Potsdam

by Anonymousreply 24October 13, 2018 3:08 PM

Why jet to Europe, when you have nearby Helen, Ga ?

by Anonymousreply 25October 13, 2018 5:13 PM

I think SoCal has the most options of any place in the US.

by Anonymousreply 26October 13, 2018 5:19 PM

I live near Asheville, NC. Why would I want to go anywhere else?

by Anonymousreply 27October 13, 2018 5:30 PM

Rikers Island

by Anonymousreply 28October 13, 2018 5:55 PM

Boston is day trip nirvana

by Anonymousreply 29October 13, 2018 10:18 PM

Agree Boston and LA are the best cities for day trips. Also San Francisco.

by Anonymousreply 30October 13, 2018 11:38 PM

Tucson, Sedona, Flagstaff, Prescott, Jerome

by Anonymousreply 31October 14, 2018 1:28 AM

Train trip to la posada. Though more a weekend trip.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32October 14, 2018 1:40 AM

To add a few more suggestions:

The Angeles Forest and San Gabriel mountains are underrated day trips for Angelenos. Drive up the Angeles Crest Highway or Highway 39, up beyond the front country mountains, and you have entire pristine chaparral and mountains that make you forget you’re only an hour away from 15 million other people. The first come, first serve, unreservable Buckhorn campground is the nicest one in the entire area.

Antelope Valley Poppy reserve is cool to check out entire meadow of poppies when they are in full bloom.

Big Bear, Green Valley Lake, and Crestline are nice for renting a cabin up in the San Bernardino mountains.

Palm Springs makes for a fun weekend if you rent an AirBnB or VRBO in the movie colony with friends and spend your time having poolside drinks and enjoying the weather and slow vibe. Take the aerial tramway up to Mt. San Jacinto for cooler temperatures.

by Anonymousreply 33October 15, 2018 5:26 AM

Willamette Valley Wine Country

by Anonymousreply 34October 15, 2018 6:14 AM

I live on the Kitsap peninsula, so it's a short drive to the Hood Canal Bridge and the Olympic Peninsula. Take your pick of Lake Crescent (and the Lodge), the ocean beaches (I'm partial to Kalaloch but Ruby Beach has the sea stacks), the rainforest, some picturesque lighthouses and the broad sandy beaches at Westport. You can see whales and pods of orca from,pretty much any point on the ocean coast. There's also Forks to the north and Aberdeen to the south if you're into morbid artistic pilgrimages (Twilight, Cobain).

Or you can take a ferry to one of islands like Whidbey or Or as--both have plenty of charming towns, inns, etc., if you prefer that to camping, hiking and fishing.

by Anonymousreply 35October 15, 2018 6:55 PM

I have no idea what any of R35 ‘s proper nouns represent - lol

by Anonymousreply 36October 15, 2018 7:38 PM

Sorry, R36, I just assumed references to the Pacific Ocean, Olympic Mountains, orca whales, Twilight and Kurt Cobain would have pretty firmly established the location, but for the less swift there's

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37October 15, 2018 10:11 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!