Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Camp classics that AREN'T about an over-the-top woman character

List them.

by Anonymousreply 4710/14/2018

Pee-Wee's Big Adventure.

by Anonymousreply 110/12/2018

Great answer, R1. I think the early James Bond flicks have achieved a kind of camp status.

by Anonymousreply 210/12/2018

Thank you, OP! I was on board the whole "camp classic" thing until I noticed that almost all of them involved histrionic females. Meanwhile, there are tons of equally campy movies involving over the top men or scenery chewing by male actors.

Moving right along, my definitive pick is The Oscar, starring Stephen Boyd. He is so over the top, and there are so many unintentionally funny moments. The funniest moment for me is the reaction shock from Jack Soo in the scene below, who's playing Frankie Fane's "houseboy." It never gets old no matter how many times I watch it.

by Anonymousreply 310/12/2018

I think The Big Knife is worthy of camp if not for Rod Steiger. He is so damned ridiculous, and the entire thing is overacted to hell and back.

by Anonymousreply 410/12/2018

Behind the Candelabra

by Anonymousreply 510/12/2018

It's not necessarily a campy movie, but The Robe had one of the campiest performances of all time, Jay Robinson as Caligula.

by Anonymousreply 610/12/2018

The Picture of Dorian Gray

by Anonymousreply 710/12/2018

"Plan 9 From Outer Space" and "Glen or Glenda," two of Edward D. Wood's disasterpieces.

by Anonymousreply 810/12/2018
by Anonymousreply 910/12/2018

"The Thing with Two Heads" - Ray Milland and Rosey Grier

by Anonymousreply 1010/12/2018

Mahogany. My favorite scene: a rail thin Anthony Perkins in a physical "struggle" with Billy Dee Williams. Perkins is hilarious. He's supposed to be playing a an egotistical sleazebag who uses his photography to sexually dominate women, but he just comes across as a bitter closet case.

by Anonymousreply 1110/12/2018

Attack of the Killer Tomatoes. I know that it was supposed to be stupid but it's still incredibly campy.

by Anonymousreply 1210/12/2018

"SAY HELLO TO MY LIDDLE FRIEND!"

by Anonymousreply 1310/12/2018

The Producers

by Anonymousreply 1410/12/2018

R11? I like "Mahogany" too, but that film is CERTAINLY a classic which absolutely ISS about "an over-the-top woman character." We love you, R11.

by Anonymousreply 1510/12/2018

Can't Stop the Music (1980)

by Anonymousreply 1610/12/2018

Remember the definition of Camp: when straight people attempt to be serious- but fail.

Flash Gordon; Caligula; Patch Adams; The Day The Clown Cried; Mandingo; Can't Stop The Music; Beyond The Sea; Manos: The Hands of Fate; Battlefield Earth; The Room; Road House; Convoy; Freddy Got Fingered; Corky Romano; License To Drive; Blacula; Troll 2

by Anonymousreply 1710/12/2018

R15, is that a WOMAN playing Mahogany? I thought that it was Ben Vereeniging.

by Anonymousreply 1810/12/2018

La cage au folles..

by Anonymousreply 1910/12/2018

[quote][R11]? I like "Mahogany" too, but that film is CERTAINLY a classic which absolutely ISS about "an over-the-top woman character."

I don't know what movie you watched, but Mahogany was not about an "over the top" woman at all. Being occasionally "sassy" isn't being over the top.

Now if you want to see what over the top looks like:

by Anonymousreply 2010/12/2018

Camp = so bad that it's actually good

by Anonymousreply 2110/12/2018

by Anonymousreply 2210/12/2018

Jupiter Ascending is so dripping with excess (with its bizarre mash ups of different artistic styles, genres, alien types, homages to 15 different sci-fi movies and bizarre subplots) that it explodes cheese.

by Anonymousreply 2310/12/2018

Yawn, R22 getting in the last word. Yawn.

by Anonymousreply 2410/12/2018

No. Nothing "over-the-top" about Mahogany......

by Anonymousreply 2510/12/2018

[quote]No. Nothing "over-the-top" about Mahogany......

Wow, an ass clown who clearly didn't watch the movie and only knows about it through memes and clips.

If you had actually watched the movie, you'd know that that that was the scene when Mahogany's psycho photographer--who'd been stalking her and making threats--had gunned the car at top speed with the full intention of killing them both. He started screaming at her to "show me fear," so that's what she did. She was trying to humor him so he wouldn't kill her.

by Anonymousreply 2610/12/2018

^MUCH, MUCH, MUCH too invested in the topic. You're stewing while I'm LMAO.

by Anonymousreply 2710/12/2018

I'm going to add Mad Max (1979). Proof that hillbillies are not exclusive to the southern U.S. And the dubbed dialog makes it even nuttier.

by Anonymousreply 2810/12/2018

James Brolin, Master Thespian: Gable And Lombard; The Amityville Horror; Capricorn One; The Car.

by Anonymousreply 2910/12/2018

Simple, mundane, insignifant points re "Mahogany" which prove I've seen the film several times:

Mahogany's name is really Tracey Chambers - The first part is set/filmed in Chicago - Billy D's character is named "Bryan" and Diana sings "People stop that sighin' and get out to vote for Bryan" - the snooty Dept Store manager is actress Nina Foch of "An American in Paris" and Pharaoh's daughter in "Ten Commandments - Diana Ross' character tries to impress Billy D in an Italian bistro by ordering in Italian as the waiter asks in a NY accent "Whadda ya want, lady?" - When she first arrives in Rome, the cabbie takes her bills from her hand, and she takes some back - Whatever the models name in the pictures on Sean McAvoy's wall, Diana says "_____. she's MAGNIFICENT!" - Jean-Pierre Aumont's character yells out in the fashion show "TWENTY MILLION LIRA!!!!!" saving the day - Diana trips on the seamstress, yelling "YOU! COME OVER HERE! **snap** RIGHT NOW! - As Sean shoots the models at the Dept Store, he tells the one who looks sort of like Raquel Welch "It's too horny, honey" - Bruce Villanch makes an appearance and tells Diana he needs a secretary when she shows her designs to him - Diana is twirling in a multi rainbow colored creation as Sean shoots her while Jermaine Jackson's "She's the Ideal Girl" plays in the background - Sean and Bryan struggle over a gun which Bryan actually pulls the trigger on while pointed in Sean's mouth, Sean laughs and keeps saying "Bye-bye, fella" - Diana appears to be assessed for being the face of "Gavilla?" dressed in all yellow as the executives ogle her unimpressed, Carlotta pipes up and says "I AM GAVILLA! When can you start?" - Ending "Mr, you've got my vote" **kiss**

I'm very bored at the moment, haha

by Anonymousreply 3010/12/2018

Roadhouse, maybe some Charles Bronson movies.

by Anonymousreply 3110/12/2018

Cruising.

Dressed To Kill.

by Anonymousreply 3210/12/2018

The Ten Commandments

Land of the Pharoahs

Hot Rods to Hell

Kitten With a Whip

by Anonymousreply 3310/12/2018

Sorry R33, Anne Baxter's Nefertiti is one of the great camp vamps of old Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 3410/12/2018

The Who's Tommy

Coppola's Dracula

by Anonymousreply 3510/12/2018

Agreed, R34,but Charlton Heston, Yul Brynner, Edward G.Robinson, Vincent Price, John Derek, Cedric Hardwick, and John Carradine all contribute mightily to the camp as well.

by Anonymousreply 3610/12/2018

^Don't forget the camp sound track. "Bring me the head of Moses." "I will - TO MINGLE WITH YOUR OWN!" ***Music*** DUH Duh duuuuuuuuuh....

by Anonymousreply 3710/12/2018

What a Way to Go!

by Anonymousreply 3810/12/2018

Urban Cowboy Psycho The Interns (old sixties ) Oliver reed (Oliver) Rex Harrison (My fair lady ) Blow out (👏🏻J Revolta)

by Anonymousreply 3910/12/2018

Yes to "Urban Cowboy"!

by Anonymousreply 4010/12/2018

Elmer Gantry -- if you've never seen it, you should!

by Anonymousreply 4110/12/2018

This is a library... DUDE... not some big city music store!

by Anonymousreply 4210/12/2018

David Caruso IS male camp.

by Anonymousreply 4310/14/2018

Clash of the Titans Robinson Crusoe on Mars- I kid you not Journey to the Center of the Earth- Pat Boone Nude!

by Anonymousreply 4410/14/2018

[quote]I think the early James Bond flicks have achieved a kind of camp status.

Plenty: Hi, I'm Plenty—Plenty O'Toole!

James: Named after your father, perhaps?

by Anonymousreply 4510/14/2018

Staircase, with richard and rex

by Anonymousreply 4610/14/2018

"Joey - do you like movies about gladiators?"

by Anonymousreply 4710/14/2018
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!