Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

And The Absolute, Hands-Down, All-Time WORST Halloween Candy You Received While Trick-Or-Treating WAS . . .

. . . Yes, yes, yes, we've done this thread before, but not for three or four years now.

The CORRECT answer is, of course, Mary Janes. The shape, color, texture and taste of Scrabble tiles, vomit.

by Anonymousreply 124October 13, 2018 10:00 AM

Rootbeer Barrels

by Anonymousreply 1October 11, 2018 6:43 AM

those orange "peanuts"

by Anonymousreply 2October 11, 2018 6:46 AM

Rice cakes... er… I mean festive popcorn balls.

by Anonymousreply 3October 11, 2018 6:49 AM

I didn't get them much trick or treating but those wax candy bottles

by Anonymousreply 4October 11, 2018 6:52 AM

I'll take your Mary Janes and Circus Peanuts

by Anonymousreply 5October 11, 2018 6:53 AM

They aren't terrible but Tootsie Rolls were never too exciting to get

by Anonymousreply 6October 11, 2018 6:55 AM

Dots.

by Anonymousreply 7October 11, 2018 6:58 AM

Wax lips

by Anonymousreply 8October 11, 2018 7:08 AM

Those candy necklaces always tasted blandly disgusting...like sweetened aspirin tablets.

by Anonymousreply 9October 11, 2018 7:22 AM

The absolute, hands-down, all-time WORST

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10October 11, 2018 7:33 AM

Candy corn, nothing was worse.

by Anonymousreply 11October 11, 2018 8:41 AM

Either Necco wafers or Pixy stix. Each was some heinous isotope of chalk.

by Anonymousreply 12October 11, 2018 8:57 AM

Apples. My mom made me throw them away anyway because of the razor blade scare.

by Anonymousreply 13October 11, 2018 9:16 AM

NO! I would take all of those (except candy corn) Those wee boxes of fucking RAISINS were the absolute worst. Thank god I could shove them off on my mum and dad.

by Anonymousreply 14October 11, 2018 9:36 AM

Good & Plenty.

by Anonymousreply 15October 11, 2018 10:01 AM

Those generic candies wrapped in black and orange wax paper. I don't even know what they were, they went directly into the trash.

Boston baked beans were pretty nasty too

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16October 11, 2018 10:19 AM

These cheap and tasteless treats.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17October 11, 2018 10:19 AM

I remember vividly some knob handing out pennies - not to eat, mind you, but as a treat. It was only a few pennies, not even enough to buy chiclets ffs. Also got a Jack Chick tract one year - between bullshit like this and the profuse sweating resulting from my costume, I am amazed that I remained in the South.

by Anonymousreply 18October 11, 2018 10:23 AM

It took to R11, but the thread can be closed now. It’s candy corn. There was nothing worse, and the worst of the worst is when someone would throw in lose bits of candy corn in our buckets. The germs, the laziness, oh my.

Anyone giving out shit candy would be better off just shutting off their porch light and not answering the door. Don’t waste the children’s time, old biddies!

by Anonymousreply 19October 11, 2018 10:25 AM

This thread is very triggering for me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20October 11, 2018 10:29 AM

I loved Rootbeer Barrels,Bit O' Honey, Butterfingers, Hot Tamales, Starbursts, Junior Mints, Skittles and those tiny wax soda bottles full of vile liquid.

I hated Candy Corn and Neccos.

Who can ever forget the taste of chewing those big red wax lips? Gross and wonderful at the same time.

by Anonymousreply 21October 11, 2018 10:30 AM

R2 The texture alone of those faded orange "peanuts" was enough to make you gag.

by Anonymousreply 22October 11, 2018 10:31 AM

I love Tootsie Rolls but not Tootsie Pops.

by Anonymousreply 23October 11, 2018 10:31 AM

These candy pumpkins were awful too. The bastard cousin of candy corn.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24October 11, 2018 10:37 AM

Here's something for those of you who hate candy corn and suffer from trypophobia

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25October 11, 2018 10:39 AM

In my 10 years living in Manhattan I received 0 trick or treaters. I've now moved to the suburbs, into an elite neighborhood. What are the chances I'll have to participate handing out candy this year? Do people really target these kind of areas for trick or treating like they do on TV?

by Anonymousreply 26October 11, 2018 11:09 AM

Della Reese's Pieces

by Anonymousreply 27October 11, 2018 11:23 AM

Oranges. Seriously, kids DO NOT want fruit at Halloween. They want CANDY.

by Anonymousreply 28October 11, 2018 11:29 AM

Where I grew up, we'd mostly get fruit and nuts, with the occasional and much-prized funsize Mars or Cadbury brand bar. The worst thing you could get was a handful of monkey nuts. Of course things have changed a lot nearly 30 years later. I can't imagine children today being content with walnuts and hazelnuts (half the fun was smashing the shells).

by Anonymousreply 29October 11, 2018 1:11 PM

Neccos for sure. I never minded Mary Janes or Tootsie Rolls but they were usually the last remaining pieces in my haul.

by Anonymousreply 30October 11, 2018 1:40 PM

[quote]I can't imagine children today being content with walnuts and hazelnuts (half the fun was smashing the shells).

Kids today are all allergic to nuts

by Anonymousreply 31October 11, 2018 1:46 PM

r16

Those orange and black things were peanut butter taffy. Boston Baked Beans are delicious. They are just candy coated peanuts.

by Anonymousreply 32October 11, 2018 1:47 PM

r26

Well having your name on a registered sex offender list will do that.

by Anonymousreply 33October 11, 2018 1:48 PM

Black Cow Candy. I hated those goddamn things.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34October 11, 2018 1:52 PM

I never liked Rockets candy (apparently called Smarties in the U.S.?) But those were at least edible. There were always hard, taffy-like candies in ugly wrappers that went right into the trash.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35October 11, 2018 2:05 PM

There was always that one mom in the neighborhood who thought she was better than everyone else and made something homemade, like cookies or hand-dipped candy, individually wrapped in colored cling wrap with orange and black ribbons or something... LADY YOU SUCK!

by Anonymousreply 36October 11, 2018 2:09 PM

R36 I'd so much rather get homemade cookies than mass-market candy. YOU SUCK.

by Anonymousreply 37October 11, 2018 2:12 PM

My mother told me her dad used to drop his fist in children’s candy bags and flick his finger against them to mimic the sound of candy falling in. Apparently, he didn’t want to buy actual candy for the little mooches.

by Anonymousreply 38October 11, 2018 2:19 PM

R26 I grew up in such a neighborhood. It wouls be hundreds of trick or treaters. Many of them would a tually be bussed in. I don’t know who these people were, renting busses and gathering large numbers of children, but it was quite the ordeal in my area. My parents later moved to a gated community, and there has never been a trick or treater except for a few children from the block. There are several connecting roads, and the gate is very easy to ignore from the sides if you’re on foot. Nobody tries it.

I’d say kids sniff out the nice places (as long as they aren’t in a gated community) so you better prepare yourself. Or you could be the one fuddy-duddy who turns out the light and ignores the doorbell.

by Anonymousreply 39October 11, 2018 2:32 PM

I agree about Mary Janes because they were always stale and hard as a rock.

by Anonymousreply 40October 11, 2018 2:33 PM

Candy corn and those hideous band-aid colored peanuts. That was stuff you just threw away, or let your dog eat.

by Anonymousreply 41October 11, 2018 2:40 PM

Not in a million years would I have fed those to my dog, r41.

by Anonymousreply 42October 11, 2018 2:41 PM

WTF are Mary Jane's?

by Anonymousreply 43October 11, 2018 2:41 PM

I hated Good 'n Plenty because black licorice grosses me out.

by Anonymousreply 44October 11, 2018 2:42 PM

Raisinets.

by Anonymousreply 45October 11, 2018 2:44 PM

There is no "worst" candy. In my neighborhood we were all smartalek jimmies and johnnies and janes and we got a kick out of the strange shit weird old people threw in our pillow cases. There was a lot of fun and vengeful tricks inspired by the crap.

by Anonymousreply 46October 11, 2018 2:51 PM

r43, a real old fart would recognize these.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47October 11, 2018 2:51 PM

I think today's Mary Janes would be the hit of the evening, particularly if you live in Colorado, California...

by Anonymousreply 48October 11, 2018 3:02 PM

I actually liked MaryJanes. The flavor of peanut butter and molasses was a good one.

But like everything else the recipe has obviously changed over the years.

Today's ingredient list would not have existed 50 years ago:

"CORN SYRUP, PEANUT BUTTER (DRY ROASTED PEANUTS, SALT, HYDROGENATED COTTONSEED OIL,MONOGLYCERIDES), SUGAR, MOLASSES, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED COTTONSEED AND SOYBEAN OIL, LECITHIN, SALT, MONO & DIGLYCERIDES, GLYCERINE, NATURAL FLAVORS"

The photo at R47 is surely a joke though: "produced with genetic engineering"? I don't see that on other photos of the product.....

by Anonymousreply 49October 11, 2018 3:02 PM

Good and Plenty! I hate it, so I always give it out, because I'm not tempted to eat it.

by Anonymousreply 50October 11, 2018 3:04 PM

The worst was candy from a vending machine in a gas station's men's room. It tasted just like rubber.

by Anonymousreply 51October 11, 2018 3:05 PM

Dots

by Anonymousreply 52October 11, 2018 3:07 PM

I wonder how many orange peanut and candy corn givers use that rationale, r50.

by Anonymousreply 53October 11, 2018 3:08 PM

R51 tell us how that managed to be halloween candy on trick or treat night!

by Anonymousreply 54October 11, 2018 3:11 PM

Pennies by some frau who thought she was doing us a favor by not giving us candy

by Anonymousreply 55October 11, 2018 3:12 PM

The dentist in our neighborhood always gave away toothbrushes. WIth his name and telephone number on them.

by Anonymousreply 56October 11, 2018 3:35 PM

[quote]What are the chances I'll have to participate handing out candy this year?

Pretty small. What’s more common in the suburbs are “trunk or treats”— people from the neighborhood or local church all parking in a lot and kids go from car to car rather than house to house.

by Anonymousreply 57October 11, 2018 3:36 PM

Stale popcorn balls wrapped in cellophane.

by Anonymousreply 58October 11, 2018 3:37 PM

When I was a kid a lady down the street would make those Rice Krispy treats- they were WAY better than candy.

by Anonymousreply 59October 11, 2018 4:02 PM

"Kids today are all allergic to nuts"

Only in your imagination, dear.

by Anonymousreply 60October 11, 2018 4:05 PM

Bitches, that's nothing. I had a mentally challenged uncle who insisted on picking out his own candy to give to the trick-or-treaters one year, where usually my grandmother bought him the candy and just let him do the handing out. It was a tense discussion in the days leading up to it, wondering what in God's name he'd end up handing out to any of the kids that were stupid enough to knock on his door.

I was one of those kids.

Cough drops.

by Anonymousreply 61October 11, 2018 4:13 PM

I was so embarrassed by my mom. She handed out carrots and Capri Sun one year.

by Anonymousreply 62October 11, 2018 4:20 PM

A candy called "Dots" which look and taste like the little rubber bumpers you put on the bottom of something to prevent scratching.

by Anonymousreply 63October 11, 2018 4:25 PM

Fun fact, mix candy corn and roasted/salted peanuts together in your mouth. Tastes exactly like a Pearsons salted nut roll.

by Anonymousreply 64October 11, 2018 4:33 PM

I love Dots! But only the red ones. Anyone ever get gum? Talk about a buzzkill.

by Anonymousreply 65October 11, 2018 4:33 PM

Necco wafers, Smarties and Bit O Honey were the worst. I’d eat the cheap peanut butter taffy crap before any of those. Never heard of Mary Janes.

by Anonymousreply 66October 11, 2018 4:39 PM

My favorites were Smarties. They were like crack.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67October 11, 2018 4:42 PM

This is Dots Candy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68October 11, 2018 4:44 PM

There used to be a sweet old lady that lived down the street from us when were were kids. She even had one of those split doors where you can open just the top portion. On Halloween she'd open the upper portion of the door with a big smile on her face and say "do you want an apple or a cookie?" Sadly, the kids would discard them all in the street in front of her house. It was sad walking to school the next day and seeing all the apples and broken cookies scattered in front of her house.

by Anonymousreply 69October 11, 2018 4:56 PM

I remember one Halloween my mom ran out of candy before the evening was over and ended up digging through her purse and under the car seats for pieces of candy and tic tacs, etc and wrapping them in cellophane.

by Anonymousreply 70October 11, 2018 4:59 PM

There's always the one asshole dentist that would hand out tooth brushes with his phone number printed on them.

by Anonymousreply 71October 11, 2018 5:07 PM

A Triscut

by Anonymousreply 72October 11, 2018 5:13 PM

One lady on our street gave out sandwiches, usually egg. To outdo her, another neighbor handed out Kentucky Fried Chicken one year, slices of pizza the next.

by Anonymousreply 73October 11, 2018 5:16 PM

Some kid last year said this when I opened my door: “My mom said I to tell you I’m allergic to peanuts!”

I replied, “Well, I guess you better be careful then.” I was giving our Skittles.

What if I had been giving candy made with peanut? “Tough shit then, Defecto!”

by Anonymousreply 74October 11, 2018 6:20 PM

Chuckles.

by Anonymousreply 75October 11, 2018 6:52 PM

A lot of the repeated worst-ever choices here are some of my favorites.

by Anonymousreply 76October 11, 2018 8:13 PM

When I was a kid, there was an epidemic of people putting razor blades, pins and needles in apples and candy. I heard about thousands of kids around the country biting into these tainted treats and being rushed to the hospital with bleeding mouths and stomachs. It was nightmare!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77October 11, 2018 8:50 PM

Urban legends aside, poisoned candy has happened:

[quote]In a 1974 case, an 8-year-old boy from Deer Park, Texas, died after eating a cyanide-laced package of Pixy Stix. A subsequent police investigation eventually determined that the poisoned candy had been planted in his trick-or-treat pile by the boy's father, Ronald Clark O'Bryan, who also gave out poisoned candy to other children in an attempt to cover up the murder, though no other children consumed the poisoned treats. The murderer, who had wanted to claim life insurance money, was executed in 1984. In this case, the distribution of poisoned candy is true, but no children other than the intended victim were harmed

by Anonymousreply 78October 11, 2018 8:56 PM

Maybe Smarties.

by Anonymousreply 79October 11, 2018 9:04 PM

Apples and raisins- straight to the trash.

by Anonymousreply 80October 11, 2018 9:39 PM

I wonder what the percentage is of dentists who give out toothbrushes. They’re always known for it. It’s the worse cliche. Does anyone know of any dentists who actually are into giving out good stuff to trick or treaters? (If nothing else, filling cavities is job security. Get with the program, dentists!)

by Anonymousreply 81October 11, 2018 10:42 PM

Candy corn and anything made from the same stuff (Halloween Pumpkins). Any hard candy or apples.

by Anonymousreply 82October 11, 2018 11:16 PM

When I was four years old, I remember trick/treating at a nearby convent. The nuns gave me a handful of popcorn from a big bowl and a copper penny. Strange how vivid that memory still is and I'm 56.

by Anonymousreply 83October 12, 2018 12:10 AM

The guy who ran the local Coca-Cola Bottling Company lived down the street, and he passed out full cans of ice cold Coke.

We thought he was a fucking God.

by Anonymousreply 84October 12, 2018 12:19 AM

Is candy corn just dyed wax?

by Anonymousreply 85October 12, 2018 12:50 AM

Sugar Daddy - excellent for chipping a tooth on

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86October 12, 2018 1:28 AM

On if my neighbors worked for marvel. He handed out comic books!

by Anonymousreply 87October 12, 2018 1:36 AM

Ha. I bite my thumb at your meek Halloween indignities. I grew up in the Bible Belt. I had neighbors who gave out miniature bibles . You better believe we gave that house wide swath.

by Anonymousreply 88October 12, 2018 1:46 AM

Homemade Candy apples - who spends the time dipping perfecty good apples in caramel or shellac, turning them into indigestible food?

In my small town, there was the one house we all made a bee-line to: The big white house on the corner, owned by a doctor. The maid woukd bring us into the kitchen for cokes and a bag of candy.

The same year, there was one house where the owner would come to the door and recite: "No tricks, no treats, shoo shoo shoo!" This was on a busy street, so the guy would have to willingly answer the door throughout the night and say that. Who does that to kids? (I rememer this incident 60 years later!)

by Anonymousreply 89October 12, 2018 2:24 AM

I knew a woman who had a major gambling problem, from a very prominent family. One Halloween, her husband was out of town, but he had bought several hundred dollars worth of candy for her and their kids to give out- it was a large community. She decided to return the candy for cash and ended up giving away boxes of low carb breakfast bars and gerneric panty hose she got for free from a community food bank.

by Anonymousreply 90October 12, 2018 2:47 AM

I knew some old bitch that would always hand out them Grand Maul Seizures.

by Anonymousreply 91October 12, 2018 2:54 AM

Cheap-ass 'Pumpkin Teeth' -

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92October 12, 2018 2:57 AM

[quote]Grand Maul Seizures

Why do a certain, select few of you think this is funny? It isn't.

by Anonymousreply 93October 12, 2018 2:57 AM

The very worst are those little colorful candy dots on paper. WTF? Those went straight to the trash.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94October 12, 2018 3:32 AM

I lived down the street from mobster Sam Giancana. His housekeeper would give out full-sized boxes of Cracker Jacks to anyone who had the verve to ring the doorbell. The welcome mat said "Get out!"

by Anonymousreply 95October 12, 2018 3:39 AM

R93, MARY!

by Anonymousreply 96October 12, 2018 3:49 AM

Raisins or Good n plenty awful... I loved the black and orange wrapped mysteries and Bit'O Honeys... Great idea upthread....may make Rice Crispy Treats this year for family Every Halloween, sis and I would line up all our candy which once was a pillowcase-full and offer trades with each other till we fell asleep.

by Anonymousreply 97October 12, 2018 4:09 AM

Apples....fuck you lady!

by Anonymousreply 98October 12, 2018 4:11 AM

I love Good n Plenty.

Just bought a 5lb. bulk bag on Amazon for only $8.90 ! Best candy deal ever ! FIVE POUNDS!!!

by Anonymousreply 99October 12, 2018 4:12 AM

^^ Will end up doing most of it himself, alas -

by Anonymousreply 100October 12, 2018 4:15 AM

R99, have fun fattie! 🐽

by Anonymousreply 101October 12, 2018 4:22 AM

R96. No no no. Roy Rogers horse was *not* named Mary. Why do gays get this wrong? It was *Trigger*. As in *that bitch totally got TRIGGERED by grand maul seizure jokes!” Dale Evans horse was Buttermilk.

See? And Trigger? I think the Grand Maul jokes are funny. I take 3 different prescriptions daily for mine. Suck it up, Buttermilk.

by Anonymousreply 102October 12, 2018 4:29 AM

For me, definitely Good n Plenty. I got them the first time I went Trick or Treating at the age of five. They were so Godawful, that was the last time I ever went near 'em. That was in 1979!

by Anonymousreply 103October 12, 2018 4:34 AM

[quote]The very worst are those little colorful candy dots on paper. WTF? Those went straight to the trash.

Don't laugh but I actually like those things for some reason, even though the company has yet to master the art of not having the damned paper stick to the back of the dots when you pop them off. (You'd think it would've gotten it all figured out by now.)

by Anonymousreply 104October 12, 2018 4:36 AM

[quote] I love Good n Plenty.

Charlie says you are brainwashed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105October 12, 2018 4:47 AM

Candy corn. And now here's one of my favorite childhood memories.

Tom Maupin was a young, gay man who owned Maupintour, a travel agency catering to upscale travelers. He lived with his partner and maid in one of the most beautiful houses in town, a beautiful, slightly spooky looking mansion that was perfect for Halloween.

One year we went trick or treating to his house after hearing that he gave away great candy. After walking up the curvy, gaslight lined walkway he was there waiting for us and opened the door. His partner and maid were there in the foyer, and in a corner by the door was a huge barrel filled with candy. He made each of us do a trick (we all told riddles or jokes), then smiled and said "okay, dig in!"

My sister and I looked at each other, not sure what to do, then looked back at him. He nodded at the barrel and said "go ahead, dig in!" I think all four of us got wide-eyed for a second, then went crazy for the next thirty seconds or so, yelling and screaming while we filled our pillowcases with candy. His partner and maid were laughing their heads off, and it was one of the most pure moments of joy I've ever experienced. After about thirty seconds had passed he said "okay, time's up. Happy Halloween!" We all screamed THANK YOU! and Happy Halloween and were still screaming all the way to the sidewalk. And it was all great candy, too - full-size candy bars, Tootsie Pops, Milk Duds, Chicklets and gum balls.

I never got to thank him for giving me one of my best childhood memories, and for being the first and only positive gay role model I knew as a child.

by Anonymousreply 106October 12, 2018 5:14 AM

My favorites were Reese’s Peanut Butter cups, and I get bags and bags of full-sized ones each year to shower on trick-or-treaters.

Not once has anyone rung my doorbell : (

by Anonymousreply 107October 12, 2018 5:45 AM

Awwwwww!!! R106 is about the sweetest story i’ve ever heard!!

by Anonymousreply 108October 12, 2018 5:49 AM

Oh Henry and Baby Ruth. They didn’t have the fun size good candy bars like Milky Way when I was a kid.

by Anonymousreply 109October 12, 2018 7:04 AM

[quote] They didn’t have the fun size good candy bars like Milky Way when I was a kid.

Even regular "full" size candy bars now are only about half the size they used to be at multiples the price.

by Anonymousreply 110October 12, 2018 7:10 AM

There were twin ladies on my block. One of them gave out Smarties and the other gave out Dum--dums, to even things out.

by Anonymousreply 111October 12, 2018 11:38 AM

[quote]Good and Plenty! I hate it

But you'd be orgasming over "Good 'n' Fruity"

by Anonymousreply 112October 12, 2018 11:39 AM

I was pretty picky as a child. I didn't like Tootsie Rolls (though the fruit ones were good because they tasted like Starburst), I didn't like Dum Dums or any kind of lollipops, I didn't much care for the Mary Janes or whatever those candies were that were wrapped in the plain orange or black paper. Things like Reese's Cups, M&Ms, Smarties, Hershey Bars, etc., were my favorite.

by Anonymousreply 113October 12, 2018 12:27 PM

Reese's Peanut Butter Cups were the gold standard.

by Anonymousreply 114October 12, 2018 12:39 PM

The neighbor next door to the toothbrush-dispensing dentist was a recluse and usually turned off his porch lights and acted like no one was home, but one year seemed to have relented and lit the porch. My parents insisted that my brother and I go ring the doorbell even though we were afraid (the rumor was that he'd cut off your fingers if you rang his doorbell and ran; I don't know why, but this was what we all thought) but they insisted. So, we trudged up his long driveway and did the usual "Trick or treat" and he had no candy to hand out (or so he said) so instead he gave each of us a dollar. He said he liked our costumes. It was the year my mother had made Indian (excuse me, "Indigenous peoples") costumes out of burlap that itched like crazy and by the time we got home, we were both covered in little red welts wherever the burlap touched our skin.

by Anonymousreply 115October 12, 2018 3:18 PM

Finally a thread I can relate to. There was this hermit lady, she lived three rocks down from us. She had one working arm and leg so she was doing pretty well. Anyway one year she gave each of us only one scorpion leg each for Halloween! Not even a lousy locust.

by Anonymousreply 116October 12, 2018 9:01 PM

R116 Tell us about your Halloween costume.

by Anonymousreply 117October 12, 2018 10:37 PM

R117: I went as a skeleton

by Anonymousreply 118October 13, 2018 2:14 AM

Back in the dark ages, there was no such thing as fun size candy. You either got a full sized candy bar, an apple or a little bag full of loose small candy like candy corn. We lived close to a really nice trailer park (I know...oxymoron), which was great because each trailer was about ten feet away from the next one. We would make a KILLING there. My mother used to make us throw out the apples (because of possible razor blades) and the bags of loose candy because she didn't want us eating anything that strangers had handled.

by Anonymousreply 119October 13, 2018 2:31 AM

Bump.

by Anonymousreply 120October 13, 2018 9:10 AM

What a morbid story r78

by Anonymousreply 121October 13, 2018 9:36 AM

Did anyone else take their candy to the hospital to be x-rayed?

My mother pulled the same scam on us every year. We'd take the candy to be x-rayed, then she'd take us to Friendly's and let us order as much food as we wanted (in my case usually a Fishamajig, fries and coleslaw, and a Jim Dandy....sometimes a Fribble too) in order to soften us up by sickening us to the point that we couldn't even think about eating candy.

When we got home, stuffed to the gills and feeling like we were about to die, the hammer would fall. She'd tell us that she had been thinking about it and the candy was probably radioactive now and unsafe to eat, but she'd pay us $10 for our trouble. Then she'd promise not to have it x-rayed the following year. Every year.

What she didn't know was that we had hidden all the good stuff before going to the hospital, so we were only losing Dum Dums, Charleston Chews, raisins, and Junior Mints.

by Anonymousreply 122October 13, 2018 9:37 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123October 13, 2018 9:42 AM

I loved the little boxes of raisins and the apples. I was that kid. But I loved the candy, too. Except for black licorice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124October 13, 2018 10:00 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!