Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors

I thought this was the best in the Elm Street franchise. Lots of great special effects, especially the girl and the television. I loved the original, but thought this one was the most entertaining. What did the rest of you think?

by Anonymousreply 8811/16/2018

Is this the one where the one chick g Debbie?) gets turned into a cockaroach?

by Anonymousreply 110/09/2018

I like part 3. My favorite after the original.

R1 No, that's part 4.

by Anonymousreply 210/09/2018

This was Patricia Arquette's very first film.

by Anonymousreply 310/09/2018

Is this the gay one?

by Anonymousreply 410/09/2018

It's the best of the series for me - it brings something new to the series, sets up the rules (the first two are all over the place with this), and sets up the formula that the rest of the series will copy. Good special effects for the year too, and Freddy is still quite mean and less of a cartoon.

by Anonymousreply 510/09/2018

The first one was scary, but the rest sucked.

by Anonymousreply 610/09/2018

I liked this one the best, too.

by Anonymousreply 710/09/2018

I agree that this sequel was the most entertaining ... but I will always lament the transition of Freddy from purely terrifying villain into comedic virtuoso. And this is the episode that started all that.

So I have mixed feelings on this topic.

by Anonymousreply 810/09/2018

Part 3 is technically the best of the series after the first. I love this movie so much and Rodney Eastman was my first crush although Laurence Fishburn was so sexy in this.

by Anonymousreply 910/09/2018

SPOILER🤫🤫🤫🤫🤫🤫🤫🤫🤫🤫

I loved this movie but I have never forgiven it for killing Nancy and in such as bitch of a way.

It fits Freddy and is suitably cheap and evil but I hated it as a kid and I hate now.

I think part of it is that she was more than a”final girl”. She was a truly kick ass hero in the first film and she defeated Freddy absolutely. Then she comes back to help these new kids and gets skewered by Freddy impersonating her father whom he had just killed. I think that’s part of what makes me hate it so much. It’s SUCH a dick move, coming there and pretending to be her dad and apologetically telling her he is dead and saying goodbye, going for a last hug and kiss from dad to daughter and WHAM! It’s such a sucker punch.

by Anonymousreply 1010/09/2018

I loved it too but thought it was out of character for Nancy to believe that really was her dad.

by Anonymousreply 1110/09/2018

Also

I loved the Dream Warriors theme song by Dokken.

by Anonymousreply 1210/09/2018

Its a classic horror movie.

by Anonymousreply 1310/09/2018

I remember being so excited to see this one when it came out and then being so disappointed when I saw it. I hated all the elaborate death set pieces, which were cartoonish and not scary. All the added backstory to Freddy Krueger demystified the character and he just wasn't scary anymore (I would say the same for sequel mythologies in the Halloween and Friday the 13th series as well.) Add in a milquetoast lead actor (Craig Wasson) and a painfully awkward performance by Heather Langenkamp and it just helped cement my general dislike of movie sequels.

And r10 brings up a great point. To have such a cruel twist come after all the other cartoon violence and one-liners was a huge tonal shift and didn't feel earned.

by Anonymousreply 1410/09/2018

[quote] a painfully awkward performance by Heather Langenkamp

If you thought she was bad in this, you should see her in the one where she plays herself.

by Anonymousreply 1510/09/2018

LOL, r15. So true but by that time my expecations for the sequels were so low that I found her wooden line readings weirdly charming.

by Anonymousreply 1610/09/2018

She was so gorgeous then

by Anonymousreply 1710/09/2018

REDUNDANT THREAD THIEF STRIKES AGAIN!

by Anonymousreply 1810/09/2018

Yes, it's the best Elm Street ever because Wes Craven had a hand in the story and script, plus teenagers got to fight back with their fantasy powers.

by Anonymousreply 1910/09/2018

No, r4.

You're thinking of Part 2:

by Anonymousreply 2010/09/2018

And also our discussion here:

by Anonymousreply 2110/09/2018

Second best after the original. The nurse with those incredible tits made the movie for me. I wish my tits were as fucking awesome as that perfect pair of sexy tatas.

by Anonymousreply 2210/09/2018

Wrong, r8.

Freddy always cracked wise.

In the first Nightmare on Elm Street, he taunted Nancy and friends with lines like, "THIS is God!" "No running in the hallway!" or "I'm your boyfriend now!" while trying to French-kiss Nancy through a telephone. Freddy cackled A LOT.

In Elm Street 2, he was at his most serious apart from New Nightmare. But he still made time for puns like, "You've got the body and I've got the brains!" while peeling his skull back to reveal his literal brains.

I, for one, don't mind some jokes from Freddy. And I think Dream Warriors found the right balance between humor from Freddy without upending the horrific tension.

It's when the majority of the tone is wacky comedy that the franchise turns to shit, like Freddy's Dead / part 6.

Or when the story and the horror is lame, anyway, so it doesn't deliver on its main job and jokes just make it worse (like Elm Streets 4,5 or Freddy Vs. Jason).

by Anonymousreply 2310/09/2018

[quote]All the added backstory to Freddy Krueger demystified the character and he just wasn't scary anymore

This is what I liked about it the most. It was still mindless killing but at least he had a motivation even before the parents on Elm Street murdered him. As someone else mentioned, I also loved the fact that the characters now had rules to follow and you could actually beat him if you followed the rules. I still pretend "New Nightmare" was canon and that Heather/Nancy is alive somewhere because I hated her death in Dream Warriors.

And so what if there were threads in 2016 and 2013. Who the hell would bump a thread from actual years ago?

by Anonymousreply 2410/09/2018

Nancy's death is GOOD for all the reasons you state, r10.

Shit doesn't always go according to plan and I respect franchises that have the balls to kill off beloved characters -- LIKE LIFE DOES.

P.S., It's just a fantasy movie and they can bring back Nancy any time. Like they did in Part 7.

by Anonymousreply 2510/09/2018

r14 says Nancy's death "didn't feel earned."

Lots of real people's deaths "aren't earned" but we lose them anyway.

It's a surprise and a shock. That's good for movies rather than a predictable, fairy tale ending to everything.

And her death wasn't a "tonal shift," either. It was a horror movie where several beloved characters died before her. Duh.

by Anonymousreply 2610/09/2018

[quote]If you thought she was bad in this, you should see her in the one where she plays herself.

Even playing herself was too much of a stretch for Heather's acting skills.

by Anonymousreply 2710/09/2018

I liked that fourth one better.

by Anonymousreply 2810/09/2018

Ooh well thanks for the education R25 I’m pleased you’re here to tell us why our opinions are wrong and yours are right.

ANOES 3 IS a fantasy and some of us think fantasies don’t need to mimic reality with “shit happens, that’s life” shock bummers.

As you said a LOT of characters died before Nancy so it’s not like the movie needed to veer away from the relentless positivity it had been spewing for the first hour and a half.

Not to mention that killing the heroine from a previous film had been done at that point already so it wasn’t exactly groundbreaking either.

by Anonymousreply 2910/09/2018

R15 I find it really hard to believe Langenkamp beat out Courtney Cox, Demi Moore and Jennifer Grey for the Nancy role, how??!

by Anonymousreply 3010/09/2018

by Anonymousreply 3110/09/2018

Aside from the first being the best, I actually liked Part 2 better than 3.

by Anonymousreply 3210/09/2018

TNT is having a marathon of the first 3 films this Thursday night starting at 9pm.

Enjoy.

by Anonymousreply 3310/09/2018

R32 me too, it was ahead of it’s time with a gay bottom teen as the heroine of a horror movie.

by Anonymousreply 3410/09/2018

Nightmare 1 introduced Freddy, but Nightmare 3 MADE Freddy!!

by Anonymousreply 3510/09/2018

Wes Craven has said that he picked Langenkamp because of her "girl next door" quality and he didn't want an actress who was "too pretty"for Nancy, r30.

I can see how that would eliminate Moore and Cox. And maybe Jennifer Grey is too ugly.

i liked Langenkamp in the role; I don't see her as a terrible actress.

by Anonymousreply 3610/10/2018

Langenkamp was great in the original. You really care about her and want her to live and be safe. She had that same flash of brilliance in New Nightmare, as well.

HOWEVER...

One of the main reasons I don't love Dream Warriors like everyone else is because she comes across as so sedated in it. There is no life to her character.

by Anonymousreply 3710/10/2018

Isn’t Nancy supposed to be on some massive dose of sedatives or something though?

by Anonymousreply 3810/10/2018

by Anonymousreply 3910/10/2018

R38, she takes a Dream suppressant called Hypnocil.

Actually, in number 3, (which I saw before number 1), I thought Nancy came across like some children’s Sunday School teacher.

by Anonymousreply 4010/10/2018

Nancy was a therapist in Dream Warriors. She didn't take Hypnocil herself -- she prescribed it for the kids.

Freddy wasn't invading her dreams, either. Kristen had to pull Nancy into dreams that Freddy was haunting.

by Anonymousreply 4110/10/2018

R25 shut the fuck up. You are a knee jerk contrarian and therefore nothing you say can be taken seriously. Which is why you’re failing at your job and in life.

The lines you cited from the first Elm Street were not Freddy cracking wise. Not one single line that you cited was written for the express purpose of making the audience laugh. That’s the difference.

by Anonymousreply 4210/10/2018

She was on Hypnocil because craig picked up her prescription vile and noticed the name then “Looked it up on his computer(internet)?!

by Anonymousreply 4310/10/2018

I thought Langenkamp was fine. I thought all the teens were well cast. Amanda Wyss was particularly good.

by Anonymousreply 4410/10/2018

Bullshit, r42.

Not one single line you have written suggests you know what you're talking about.

by Anonymousreply 4510/11/2018

r43, the line is "dream deprivation is nothing to fool around with."

by Anonymousreply 4610/11/2018

Thank you R46. Its been awhile.

by Anonymousreply 4710/11/2018

Sorry, not TNT tonight... The first 3 films are airing on the Paramount Network channel.

by Anonymousreply 4810/11/2018

The forth movie had fantastic effects for the time, but the story is weak and it doesn't hold up. Same with 3, although it does have a stronger story. The original looks so cheap now, and not in a good way. Halloween was probably even cheaper but it doesn't effect the quality at all. I enjoyed the series in the 80s but now I wouldn't care if I never saw one of the movies again, and I probably won't.

by Anonymousreply 4910/11/2018

Part 4 was a carbon copy of part 3, and riddled with plot holes.

by Anonymousreply 5010/11/2018

But filled with super hot guys

by Anonymousreply 5110/11/2018

R51 just what I was thinking part 3 just did not have much eye candy. nancy’s cop father Is probably the hottest one in part 3 :/ Part 1 had johnny depp in his absolute prime and Tina’s hot dumb latino boyfriend.

by Anonymousreply 5210/11/2018

Nick Corri (now acting under his real name Jsu Garcia) was very hot. Hotter than Depp then and especially now. He later admitted he was high on heroin during the filming of the first NOES.

by Anonymousreply 5310/11/2018

R53 If you are a bottom you would pick Garcia for sure but tops would probably pick depp ( back in 1984)

by Anonymousreply 5410/11/2018

Watching he first one right now Langenkamp’s giant cystic pimple on her forehead is so distracting. Love the part where she looks in the mirror after not sleeping for days and says god I look 20 years old.

by Anonymousreply 5510/11/2018

So much NEW NIGHTMARE hate in here - I think it's wonderful. You can see where Craven's head was at and how Csream was right around the corner. The last act gets pretty goofy but I think it's pretty scary up until the exploding head thing

by Anonymousreply 5610/11/2018

[quote]Watching he first one right now Langenkamp’s giant cystic pimple on her forehead is so distracting. [bold]Love the part where she looks in the mirror after not sleeping for days and says god I look 20 years old.[/bold]

I vaguely remember that it was older than 20. Regardless, whatever the number, the in-joke was that that was Heather's real age when she made the film.

by Anonymousreply 5710/11/2018

At least number 3 had twink Joey!

by Anonymousreply 5810/11/2018

Right, r58.

I beg to differ with r52. Rodney Eastman as Joey is one of the primary reasons I am a gay man today.

by Anonymousreply 5910/11/2018

The grey streak in Langenkamp’s hair in this movie, what the fuck was that about?

by Anonymousreply 6010/11/2018

It was the result of the high stress that Freddy put Nancy through.

Nancy acquired the grey streak of hair in the first movie after waking up from a stressful dream where Freddy was trying to kill her. It showed that Freddy's fearmongering took an extreme physical toll -- it could turn Nancy's hair white overnight.

That's where the "Oh, God! I look 20 years old" line comes in.

by Anonymousreply 6110/12/2018

There were some very hot guys throughout this series, but definitely more of them in Part 4 than any other installment.

by Anonymousreply 6210/12/2018

Rick...

by Anonymousreply 6310/12/2018

And Danny. I really liked that the punk kid and the football jock were good friends in 4, a refreshing change.

by Anonymousreply 6410/12/2018

Danny was hot but I was never into Rick.

I'd take the comic book nerd/ skater before Rick. Plus, I heard the actor who plays Rick is a stalking psycho in real life.

by Anonymousreply 6510/12/2018

One of my favourite Freddy lines.

by Anonymousreply 6610/12/2018

R61, that line happens before her hair turns grey.

Also, her grey streak is on the opposite side in 3.

by Anonymousreply 6710/12/2018

The 4th seemed like a “pop” horror movie with its green hues and primary colors. The 3rd was red tinged, darker and more frightening. The new Kristen was somewhat distracting because Patricia was a great screamer.

by Anonymousreply 6810/12/2018

A bunch of the sta from Part 3 are going to be at Hyaena Gallery in Burbank this weekend. It's free if anyone is interested in meeting them.

by Anonymousreply 6910/12/2018

^*stars

by Anonymousreply 7010/12/2018

I liked Penelope Sudrow as Iola Boylan’s neice Bernice.

by Anonymousreply 7110/12/2018

Those nurse's tits were superlatively salacious peaks of heaven. Mmmmmmmmm. Even now I still want them.

by Anonymousreply 7210/12/2018

Yeah, Patricia Arquette was a much better actress, and better looking, than Tuesday Knight.

But DL has at least one Tuesday Knight superfan who collected all of her albums.

by Anonymousreply 7310/12/2018

In all honesty, Ira Heiden as the handicapped nerd was cute.

He's not really handicapped and would have made an excellent Twink Bottom Bitch.

by Anonymousreply 7410/13/2018

The promo for the Paramount marathon is actually pretty funny:

by Anonymousreply 7510/13/2018

Say what you want about 4, but you have to admit it made for one hell of a music video:

by Anonymousreply 7610/15/2018

Is this the one where Freddy's fingers turn into syringes that he injects into the junkie girl, saying, "What a RUSH!"

by Anonymousreply 7710/15/2018

Pretty sure that's 3: The Dream Warriors, R77.

by Anonymousreply 7810/15/2018

Yes, r77, this thread is about the movie with the syringe overdose dream.

by Anonymousreply 7910/15/2018

No love for my cameo, dahlinks?

by Anonymousreply 8010/15/2018
by Anonymousreply 8110/16/2018

I'm not going to lie.

I would totally do Lorenzo the sleazy Guido nurse who tried to seduce Taryn with hospital drugs in Dream Warriors.

It would feel degrading, but Clayton Landey then was less gross than John Saxon, r52.

by Anonymousreply 8210/25/2018

R82 He kind of looks like an ugly version of Thomas Calabro. Calabro was gorgeous. Always wanted his italian sausage.

by Anonymousreply 8310/25/2018

The Paramount Network is doing a marathon of all the ELM STREETS (Except NEW NIGHTMARE) on Halloween!

They're doing it in backwards chronological order first, then chronological order at midnight. Which makes sense -- the best Freddy movies will play in prime time.

AMC is doing all the HALLOWEENS and IFC is doing all the ALIENS.

by Anonymousreply 8410/25/2018

It looks like AMC snagged the rights to FREDDY'S DEAD (Part 6) and WES CRAVEN'S NEW NIGHTMARE (Part 7) for their FearFest. They played them on Monday:

by Anonymousreply 8510/25/2018

Decided to re-watch part 4 and (aside from Johnny) Dan was definitely one of the cutest guys in this franchise. I didn't really like Alice though. I don't know what it was, but she annoyed the shit out of me for some reason.

by Anonymousreply 8610/25/2018

Lorenzo was hot. “a night at Club Meth. Clean pharmaceutical high.” And then he walks off with the hot nurse in his ass tight scrubs. Yum

by Anonymousreply 8710/25/2018

Is Ira Heiden (Will Stanton) gay or just really private?

by Anonymousreply 8811/16/2018
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Don't you just LOVE clicking on these things on every single site you visit? I know we do! You can thank the EU parliament for making everyone in the world click on these pointless things while changing absolutely nothing. If you are interested you can take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT and we'll set a dreaded cookie to make it go away. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!