Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Do any of you ole bitches live in assisted living or govt supported housing for old folks

What is it like? How long do ya have left before you kick it?

by Anonymousreply 38October 25, 2018 11:50 PM

None of them would be awake after midnight. Zonked out on pain meds et al.

by Anonymousreply 1October 6, 2018 6:56 AM

I’m old and living in housing paid for by tax dollars op, ask me anything.

by Anonymousreply 2October 6, 2018 8:10 AM

OP, please go soak your head in a bucket of week-old piss. Your post is offensive and not the least witty.

by Anonymousreply 3October 6, 2018 9:10 AM

At least the old farts these days are not dying of KS. Be grateful for dat, bitches.

by Anonymousreply 4October 6, 2018 3:39 PM

A friend of mine lives in a subsidized complex for the elderly. It's an old school house that has been converted to apartments. The individual units have retained the high ceilings and tall windows of the original school, but have built-in kitchens, modern bathrooms and a/c. The place is immaculate, there's a bus that takes residents shopping and to lunch at chain places and other organized activities, and there is a chapel. The built a new addition to the old school house, and those apartments don't have a fraction of the charm and character as the older units.

The one area where management falls short is this is supposed to be for independent living, but there are way too many people there who barely qualify as independent and rely on their neighbors to get through life on a daily basis. But maybe that's a good thing.

by Anonymousreply 5October 6, 2018 3:54 PM

Ewwww they are prolly emptying their bowels everywhere. Scary. Would not wanna be changing their diapers.

by Anonymousreply 6October 6, 2018 4:01 PM

r6 you do realize that one day you will be there, right?

by Anonymousreply 7October 6, 2018 4:11 PM

My mom lives in government housing, she jumped the line by living in the town her whole life. They reassess the amount every year a third of her income for rent. She’s paying about $400 everything included as well as electricity. Because she’s on a fixed income it’s like saving $1000 a month as compared to market rate. She always talks about moving but there’s no way she could afford to, and she’s able to get by with a little help and homecare/housekeeping visits.

by Anonymousreply 8October 6, 2018 4:12 PM

[quote]The one area where management falls short is this is supposed to be for independent living, but there are way too many people there who barely qualify as independent and rely on their neighbors to get through life on a daily basis.

When they moved in they might have been more independent and they have deteriorated since.

by Anonymousreply 9October 6, 2018 4:14 PM

[quote] R6 you do realize that one day you will be there, right?

No, he most likely doesn't realize that or much of anything else, because he's a typical little know nothing, do nothing, smart ass, halfwitted pussy boy who thinks he's impressing anyone who's reading his illiterate post. The fact that he's trying to impress people he doesn't even know and who he will never meet says a great deal about him. He's a moron.

by Anonymousreply 10October 6, 2018 4:17 PM

I realize that, R9, but the place is run by a non-profit that specializes in aging. One would think that such an organization would be more pro-active in getting people the help they need.

by Anonymousreply 11October 6, 2018 4:19 PM

The ageism in the gay community is particularly virulent, especially on this board. I was once young, worked out daily, was very attractive, dated, loved, partnered, married etc. When you get older, your body simply stops cooperating, and there is nothing you can do about it. You feel tired a lot, your knees and hips will not endure a workout and you get fat. Your back aches for no reason. You really no longer get a good nights sleep. You've buried people you love and watched people you love get sick. Age takes your looks and your energy. Hopefully, you are lucky like me and have a wonderful husband, family, and friends, and you've worked hard and saved your money so you can retire in a comfortable space. I have friends and family who live in public low-income housing for the aged, and it's not fun and it's not pretty and with the current administration, it's only going to get worse.

by Anonymousreply 12October 6, 2018 4:22 PM

I wished we had planned better. My mom has early onset dementia and it’s very touch and go. She’s made horrible financial errors and I have to undo and correct them all the time. It’s exhausting and my brother basically ignores her and takes no responsibility. My mom’s dementia sucks because she can’t rememeber all the horrible things she said and did, and wants to lay blame on you or the other parties involved. Even though she gets everything right 9 times out of 10, it’s that one thing she really fucks up that takes weeks to fix, and she’s been obstinate certain times that’s what’s so frustrating about the disease.

by Anonymousreply 13October 6, 2018 4:25 PM

R10 Quit projecting, you sad ole cunt.

by Anonymousreply 14October 6, 2018 4:30 PM

R12 married her husband in 1912. Sure, Jan.

by Anonymousreply 15October 6, 2018 4:31 PM

R15 is one bitter, nasty, obnoxious queen.

by Anonymousreply 16October 6, 2018 4:38 PM

R16 projects her cuntiness onto da world.

by Anonymousreply 17October 6, 2018 5:02 PM

I think this is going to become a huge issue in the near future. Few people have good pensions anymore, and too many have not saved enough for retirement. I don't see how people are going to afford the high cost of getting old.

by Anonymousreply 18October 6, 2018 7:37 PM

R18 good point. That is why dying young, say in your 50s and 60s is a good thing. Who can afford to live to be 90? Especially the gays who have no heirs or anyone to care for them when theys old.

by Anonymousreply 19October 6, 2018 7:45 PM

{quote]Especially the gays who have no heirs or anyone to care for them when theys old.

That describes me to a "t," but at least I have a good pension and a lot of assets, so at least I will have choices about where I end up. But I wish I had some closer relatives than cousins that could look out for me.

by Anonymousreply 20October 6, 2018 7:48 PM

True! I purposely spelled "theys" just to bug the grammar nazis. I know it makes their tampons esplode! Right Lucy! But yes that is one shitty thing about living a healthy life with extreme longevity. Who the fuck is going to take care of yous when you get super old and all your friends have gone to that great bath house in the sky?

by Anonymousreply 21October 6, 2018 7:59 PM

They are converting this seminary to affordable housing for 55 and over in Grand Rapids. Gorgeous building. I would love to live there. (Except in winter. Why does snow have to ruin everything?)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22October 6, 2018 8:00 PM

I live in terror of not having money in old age and being forced to live in horribke public run nursing home and barely having enough to get by.. At 50, I’m stuck in a job I hate to try to save enough to be able to retire someday. I hate my life now but am terrified of being broke in old age.

Then God bitch slapped me: my brother who is 44 with 4 kids 7-16 was just diagnosed with terminal cancer and given 4 months to live. Lesson: stop worriying about being broke in 20 years and working a miserable job. I’m going to chuck it all and devote my time to him while he is alive and help raise his kids when he’s gone. The terror of modern capitalism has distracted us from the simple basic essence of life. If need be, I hope to be brave enough to off myself at 75 instead of living in poverty. But I’m going to stop worrying about paying for retirement and live my life now because i only know I have today.

by Anonymousreply 23October 6, 2018 8:17 PM

He doesn't mind a sad old queen with no prospects raising his rug rats. Yikes. Those poor kids.

by Anonymousreply 24October 6, 2018 9:40 PM

Hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 25October 6, 2018 10:56 PM

look Fox and Friends R24 and R15 why don't you just take your hate back to some christian message board, where it belongs.

by Anonymousreply 26October 12, 2018 12:26 PM

R12, well said. I'm in the same boat. Cheers to you, friend.

by Anonymousreply 27October 12, 2018 12:58 PM

And to you R27. Nothing like some honest refreshing civil conversation on this board instead of the normal vacuous self-involved empty-headed blather. I miss the old DL. We always had great conversations, mixed in with a few bitchy ones to keep it fun.

by Anonymousreply 28October 12, 2018 1:55 PM

Enjoy your time here!Going forward most will not he able to retire. The most important thing is staying healthy if you can. Who knows what will happen with social security? Because of inflation what you save may never be enough unless you had the money to make excellent financial decisions and actually did so. Find and create opportunities. What are you good at? Cooking, cleaning, painting, art, planning etc..How is it we just disintegrate when we're old? I've met many older people in great shape that actually work.

by Anonymousreply 29October 12, 2018 2:21 PM

R12/R28, ain't it the truth. God I miss the on-point wit of the old DL. Blue Agave's posts, the Red Dragon Cheese thread, the Let's Pretend threads (I remember one about pretending to be DL in the Old West and literally gasping for air as I read it, so hilarious), even the baked potato bar, soda refills in the Italian restaurant, gargoyle for a neighbor threads. Not that we don't have fun here and I check in often during the day, but sometimes the nastiness and prejudice get to me.

Well, I'm really sounding like an old coot now, time to go yell at some kids on the lawn. Just know you're not alone here. Perhaps one of us could start a thread specifically for eldergays and the challenges we face?

by Anonymousreply 30October 12, 2018 3:24 PM

^^ R27.

by Anonymousreply 31October 12, 2018 3:25 PM

R30 All threads are about the challenges the fossils of DL face, dumbfuck.

by Anonymousreply 32October 12, 2018 5:34 PM

R30 you simultaneously miss and prove R27's point, which somehow does not surprise me.

by Anonymousreply 33October 12, 2018 7:13 PM

r33 is the wrong way round - R32/R30

by Anonymousreply 34October 12, 2018 7:16 PM

Lol.

by Anonymousreply 35October 15, 2018 9:06 PM

Bad news for senior citizens relying on Medicaid for nursing home care: The Trump admin has just appointed Mary Mayhew as the new head of Medicaid. She was previously the top health official for Maine Gov. Paul LePage, who refused to implement the Medicaid expansion voters approved a year ago.

by Anonymousreply 36October 15, 2018 10:02 PM

r36 actually I think that will give us a bit of fun. Since it's a federal program, and an entitlement - let's see what she tries to fuck up with her right wing nonsense. It's a self-funded program and receives no taxpayer dollars. Thus, anything she tries to do to it without direct congressional authorization will trigger her ouster. Entitlement programs are the very definition of a political third rail. Every loud mouth politician loves to talk about them because its completely safe. But the moment you try to touch these programs, everyone who's receiving benefits (which, by the way is about 90 Million people), and everyone who's related to some who's receiving benefits and scared shitless they're going to have suddenly pay for those relatives starts coming after you with imminent threats of bodily harm.

Perfect program? no. Perfect weapon? Hell yes. Go ahead, republicans. It's our KBAR knife.

by Anonymousreply 37October 15, 2018 10:07 PM

Exactly.

by Anonymousreply 38October 25, 2018 11:50 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!