Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Canadian DLers - Carbon Tax

Conservatives say if Justin Trudeau runs on a carbon tax he will LOSE

Justin Trudeau said he is ready to put a price on pollution.

So the question is, will a carbon tax affect your vote for Justin Trudeau in 2019

by Anonymousreply 32December 5, 2018 9:09 PM

wonder who voted for Andrew Scheer in this poll

by Anonymousreply 1October 6, 2018 5:40 PM

Planet has only until 2030 to stem catastrophic climate change, experts warn

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2October 8, 2018 11:59 PM

A carbon tax won't affect my vote so your poll doesn't work for me. Kinda dumb poll.

I will probably vote for the Liberals. My MP is Chrystia Freeland who I think is smart and will probably be party leader and potentially PM some day. I can't see voting for the Conservatives or the NDP.

by Anonymousreply 3October 9, 2018 12:04 AM

[quote] Kinda dumb poll.

Alberta, Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Ontario has vowed to fight Justin Trudeau on the carbon tax.

by Anonymousreply 4October 9, 2018 12:06 AM

He already ran on a carbon tax and won. Why do the cons seem to forget that?

by Anonymousreply 5October 9, 2018 12:09 AM

[quote] He already ran on a carbon tax and won. Why do the cons seem to forget that?

Because the CONS now say nobody voted for him on the carbon tax - that Trudeau won because he had the anti-Harper vote. It has nothing to do with the Carbon Tax.

by Anonymousreply 6October 9, 2018 12:12 AM

R4: So the dumb poll isn't dumb because 4 right wing provincial governments are unacceptably stupid on this issue? Sure, Jan, eh?

by Anonymousreply 7October 9, 2018 12:13 AM

Right but OP asks if the carbon tax will motivate you to vote for two of Canada's THREE main parties and further assumes it's the single biggest issue driving a vote.

That's kind of a dumb poll in my view. Sort of like confusing what provinces are doing with a poll right in front of you on a website, Rose.

by Anonymousreply 8October 9, 2018 12:13 AM

[quote] if the carbon tax will motivate you to vote for two of Canada's THREE main parties and further assumes it's the single biggest issue driving a vote.

The CONS narrative is that this is the main issue Canadians will vote on - the Carbon tax.

[quote] because 4 right wing provincial governments are unacceptably stupid on this issue? Sure, Jan, eh?

Did you really write that?

by Anonymousreply 9October 9, 2018 12:14 AM

Um, Alberta is governed by the NDP. Not exactly right wing, last I checked.

by Anonymousreply 10October 9, 2018 12:19 AM

R9: No, Rose. J.K. Rowling wrote it. She was passing by and couldn't help but comment on this important issue on a gay message board.

by Anonymousreply 11October 9, 2018 12:24 AM

"I'll Vote Against Justin Trudeau & Vote Conservative"

So the only other option is to vote Conservative? The NDP has zero factor here? I thought Jasmeet Singh was going to "DESTROY" Justin!

by Anonymousreply 12October 9, 2018 1:00 AM

R12 that dream is over - NDP would lucky to keep party status at this rate

by Anonymousreply 13October 12, 2018 2:07 AM

I won’t vote Liberal but the carbon tax has nothing to do with my position.

by Anonymousreply 14October 12, 2018 2:29 AM

Jagmeet Singh isn't doing shit, and they know it. I'm sure they are desperately trying to find a new face, if not an outright new leader, for the party. Someone who can get a seat would be a start.

Right now, the Ontario NDP is in the process of turning the party into the Metro TO kumquat & condo set that took a bath in the last election. They are parachuting candidates into elections who don't stand a chance. It's a total clusterfuck. And to think one of my biggest past grievances with the party was a weighted platform vote.

I'm at the point now where I think it's all a cynical plan by the 1% (who cross party lines) to stomp out the last of the middle/working class.

by Anonymousreply 15October 12, 2018 4:33 AM

Sheer and the Cons are easy fucks for the US. Most urban Canadians have figured that out.

by Anonymousreply 16October 12, 2018 4:37 AM

^^ Scheer... autocorrect....sigh...

by Anonymousreply 17October 12, 2018 4:40 AM

House of Commons is having an Emergency Debate on Climate Change tonight right now.

But most pundits are saying it is electoral suicide for Trudeau to go into an election advocating Canadians pay a new tax.

by Anonymousreply 18October 15, 2018 10:32 PM

Carbon tax will cause gas prices to go up 11 cents a litre, and add $200 to home heating bills.

Who would vote for that?

by Anonymousreply 19October 15, 2018 11:28 PM

anyone?

by Anonymousreply 20October 22, 2018 12:15 PM

I would vote for it. And you people would hate me because I vote Conservative most often and Liberal second (what can I say, I have a mortgage now...)

I wouldn't vote NDP to save my life. But there's a problem out there and it must be dealt with so if that's what it takes to start solving it, that's what it takes. I think most people are sensible. They will vote for solutions. That said, maybe not by much. Probably not by much. The Liberals may have to lose government over it, but I bet once the hard work is done the Conservatives, assuming they win, will just tinker with it at the edges but let out a huge sigh and let it stand. It's like the wretched Mulroney and the GST (now HST.). Good policy but terribly politically and they did it and paid the price... but nobody did it in thereafter.

by Anonymousreply 21October 22, 2018 12:39 PM

R19 - people who give a fuck about the planet?

What's YOUR solution? Nudging and asking people nicely to make changes hasn't worked so what next? And yes I do realise small things individuals do don't matter much compared to making corporations more responsible, but every little bit helps.

by Anonymousreply 22October 22, 2018 1:04 PM

Mike Bloomberg tweets

Glad to see Canadian PM @JustinTrudeau announce his country’s plans to put a price on climate pollution. Alongside his pledge to eliminate coal by 2030, this policy will help protect public health and the environment.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23October 23, 2018 8:13 PM

[quote] What's YOUR solution? Nudging and asking people nicely to make changes hasn't worked so what next? And yes I do realise small things individuals do don't matter much compared to making corporations more responsible, but every little bit helps.

Donald Trump says the world is going down the toilet in 12 years anyways, so why bother? And his supporters agree.

by Anonymousreply 24October 23, 2018 8:15 PM

Doug Ford says Ontarians will wind up paying $1,000 a year new taxes with this carbon tax.

by Anonymousreply 25October 26, 2018 10:56 PM

[quote]Jagmeet Singh isn't doing shit, and they know it. I'm sure they are desperately trying to find a new face, if not an outright new leader, for the party. Someone who can get a seat would be a start.

I thought Singh was running in a by-election in Vancouver?

Has that happened yet?

by Anonymousreply 26October 26, 2018 11:13 PM

R26 he is waiting for Justin Trudeau to call it, as it is up to Trudeau

by Anonymousreply 27October 26, 2018 11:16 PM

And there's also supposed to be one in Tom Mulcair's vacant riding in Outremont (Montreal), yes?

by Anonymousreply 28October 26, 2018 11:17 PM

Yep R28 - Trudeau likes to bunch them together and have them run together

by Anonymousreply 29October 26, 2018 11:25 PM

When are they expected to be officially called?

by Anonymousreply 30October 26, 2018 11:38 PM

365 days to go — and Trudeau's Liberals have the edge on the 2019 election

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31October 27, 2018 12:04 AM

so who is supporting Andrew Scheer?

by Anonymousreply 32December 5, 2018 9:09 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!