Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Venom ’s Collapse is Complete - Review embargo lifted

28% so far.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 185January 5, 2019 7:08 PM

It will still beat a star is born.

by Anonymousreply 1October 3, 2018 7:09 AM

It will do well opening weekend but die with word of mouth.

Sounds like it will be the Razzie front runner.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2October 3, 2018 7:10 AM

GaGa tried to warn you.

by Anonymousreply 3October 3, 2018 7:14 AM

Nobody asked for this movie. I thought they’re going to build up to a November release, create anticipation. Imagine my surprise to learn they’re already dumping this in theaters this Thursday!

by Anonymousreply 4October 3, 2018 7:49 AM

If you replaced Tom Hardy for Steve Martin in "All of Me," and switched out Lily Tomlin for a wad of chewed-up black licorice, you'd have "Venom."

by Anonymousreply 5October 3, 2018 7:52 AM

Can I play a spider? A fly? A gnat? Anything...

by Anonymousreply 6October 3, 2018 7:53 AM

Is Top Her Grace in this?

by Anonymousreply 7October 3, 2018 7:59 AM

Such a shame. I was looking forward to this movie.

by Anonymousreply 8October 3, 2018 8:10 AM

I couldn’t even finish the trailer because it looked so damn boring.

by Anonymousreply 9October 3, 2018 8:12 AM

Good, now maybe Hardy can fuck off back to obscurity where he belongs. Sucking cock will only get you so far, and now he's a fat, bloated, greasy looking hasbeen with no talent. He has nothing to offer. Next.

by Anonymousreply 10October 3, 2018 8:15 AM

The trailer was so shitty. I love Tom Hardy and will give it a try.

by Anonymousreply 11October 3, 2018 8:20 AM

I mean I guess I'll watch it if I have to but it's not really something I'm looking forward to.

by Anonymousreply 12October 3, 2018 9:12 AM

Salt on the wound - LA Times notes that Hardy’s twin Logan Marshall Green starred in Upgrade this year, and that is the movie Venom should have been

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13October 3, 2018 10:07 AM

[quote]Nobody asked for this movie. I thought they’re going to build up to a November release, create anticipation. Imagine my surprise to learn they’re already dumping this in theaters this Thursday!

ABSOLUTELY nobody. I mean...why THE fuck would you make a Venom movie without the character responsible for its existence in the MU? For that matter, a Joker WITHOUT Batman? I don't get how anyone thought this was a good idea. I mean...i'll watch it on my Ps4 which is where it should've been released.

by Anonymousreply 14October 3, 2018 10:37 AM

Well if it kills off Sonys future plans that's at least one less cinematic universe friends will want to drag me to.

by Anonymousreply 15October 3, 2018 10:59 AM

R15, no one is dragging you to anything you don't want to attend if you are an adult. People sound like morons when they say things like this. Is the friendship hinged on attending shitty movies you truly don't want to see? I always tell people no or I will meet them later.

The trailer had bad acting, dialogue and effects, with no Spiderman, so I don't understand the shock regarding it being terrible.

by Anonymousreply 16October 3, 2018 11:09 AM

Michelle Williams is in this?? WOW.

by Anonymousreply 17October 3, 2018 11:10 AM

the incipit of this review. WOW.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18October 3, 2018 11:13 AM

[quote] the sight of a disheveled, stubbly, sweaty and bloated Tom Hardy jolts you with the realization that here is the perfect actor to one day play Harvey Weinstein.

r18 I'd honestly sue for a retraction.

by Anonymousreply 19October 3, 2018 11:21 AM

This is Sony's universe so does that mean the Spider-Man for this Venom is Andrew Garfield?

by Anonymousreply 20October 3, 2018 11:25 AM

[quote]The trailer had bad acting, dialogue and effects, with no Spiderman, so I don't understand the shock regarding it being terrible.

I don’t think ANYBODY is shocked.

by Anonymousreply 21October 3, 2018 11:25 AM

Yeah the trailer made it obvious this would be terrible.

by Anonymousreply 22October 3, 2018 11:26 AM

[quote]Michelle Williams is in this?? WOW.

Michelle Williams was also in Dawson's Creek and Halloween H20.

by Anonymousreply 23October 3, 2018 11:27 AM

Don't tell that to fanboys, r21. Some of them are so delusional. Or just have no standards. Both.

by Anonymousreply 24October 3, 2018 11:33 AM

She was also in Oz The Great and Powerful not long ago. She's not above making a buck.

[quote]This is Sony's universe so does that mean the Spider-Man for this Venom is Andrew Garfield?

No. Tom Holland is.

by Anonymousreply 25October 3, 2018 11:33 AM

You couldn't pay me to eatch Dawson's Creek, but it lauched her career from a nobody. I hate when actor shit on or disregard the project that made them.

by Anonymousreply 26October 3, 2018 11:36 AM

Launched.

The press tour gor this has been hilarious. You can tell everyone involves hated it.

by Anonymousreply 27October 3, 2018 11:37 AM

r20 the way I remember the Sony/Marvel deal working is Holland is technically Sony's But he's on loan to the MCU for the forseable future. Though I think his contract is up for renegotiation after Far From Home. It'll be interesting to see whether the Sony Universe flopping means they try to bring Spider-Man back to them.

by Anonymousreply 28October 3, 2018 11:39 AM

Has Michelle Williams done any press? I've only seen interviews with Riz and Tom.

by Anonymousreply 29October 3, 2018 11:40 AM

Never mind. She has.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30October 3, 2018 11:41 AM

[quote]Don't tell that to fanboys, [R21]. Some of them are so delusional. Or just have no standards. Both.

Actually, I’m kind of a fanboy, so I’m pretty “tapped in”--essentially, I read comic books but you’d never know it-- and I can tell you that they hate EVERYTHING.

That's correct R28. I had to have someone explain it to me like I was a child, honestly. I THINK that maybe Disney and Marvel worked that shit out with the mutants. I can only do surface research on this shit tho.

by Anonymousreply 31October 3, 2018 11:45 AM

It’s a comic book super hero movie so it’ll make a gazillion dollars regardless of reviews.

We can’t get enough of this garbage. Being on Venom 2, 3, and 4!

by Anonymousreply 32October 3, 2018 11:48 AM

What a shame. I was really waiting for the movie. Unlike some others here I can totally see the concept of Venom working without any mention of Spiderman. Oh well, I'll probably still go see it... or not. I'm still scarred by how absolutely awful The Meg was. Then again there's no way Venom can be worse.

by Anonymousreply 33October 3, 2018 11:59 AM

[quote]It’s a comic book super hero movie so it’ll make a gazillion dollars regardless of reviews.

No, it won't. This one is a flop just like Fant4stic.

by Anonymousreply 34October 3, 2018 12:17 PM

So this Venom's Spider-Man is Tom Holland?! That seems like a total mismatch.

by Anonymousreply 35October 3, 2018 12:18 PM

Sony doesn't really know what they're doing. Word is they slapped this film together so they wouldn't lose the rights to the character. Spider-Man, and the characters in his universe, are essentially their only profitable superhero franchise, which is why they're doing their best to keep it out of Marvel's hands. This is also why Fox made that shitty Fant4stic. They don't care about the craft as much as the MCU does and it shows.

by Anonymousreply 36October 3, 2018 12:23 PM

[quote]Spider-Man, and the characters in his universe, are essentially their only profitable superhero franchise

Does Sony even have any other superhero franchises?

by Anonymousreply 37October 3, 2018 12:26 PM

I don't think so. Just the Spider-Man characters. Here's an infographic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38October 3, 2018 12:35 PM

I tried to warn them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39October 3, 2018 12:41 PM

I'm going to go see it just so it might keep Star Is Born from being #1

by Anonymousreply 40October 3, 2018 12:42 PM

[quote]I mean I guess I'll watch it if I have to but it's not really something I'm looking forward to.

Are we really in a place where we are now obligated to watch comic book movies? I guess we are. 😕

by Anonymousreply 41October 3, 2018 12:43 PM

I mean if there's nothing else playing.

by Anonymousreply 42October 3, 2018 12:46 PM

R38, that graphic is wrong. Marvel Studios doesn't own the rights to any of the X-Men.

by Anonymousreply 43October 3, 2018 12:47 PM

Disney bought Fox.

[quote]Disney‘s $52.4 billion agreement to buy 21st Century Fox‘s entertainment assets is good news for fanboys and fangirls.

[quote]The company was quick to tout that the pact “provides Disney with the opportunity to reunite the X-Men, Fantastic Four, and Deadpool with the Marvel family under one roof and create richer, more complex worlds of inter-related characters and stories that audiences have shown they love.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44October 3, 2018 12:51 PM

Though I hate the character in the comics, I like Tom Hardy so I was thinking of seeing it. But no.

by Anonymousreply 45October 3, 2018 12:54 PM

Good. That homophobe gay men love should be out if the spotlight for at least a few years if this completely tanks.

by Anonymousreply 46October 3, 2018 1:01 PM

Who?

by Anonymousreply 47October 3, 2018 1:05 PM

R44, does that mean the MCU will cast their own Wolverine and X-Men or will the existing ones just now all of a sudden exist inside the MCU?

by Anonymousreply 48October 3, 2018 1:06 PM

No one really knows. The OG X-Men cast still has a film coming out next summer. After that who knows what Disney will do with them?

by Anonymousreply 49October 3, 2018 1:11 PM

The final merger, and thus the return of the X-Men and FF to Marvel Studios is supposed to take place in February, I believe. There was some speculation that Dark Phoenix might get buried and it seems like the terrible-looking New Mutants almost certainly will be.

by Anonymousreply 50October 3, 2018 1:19 PM

There will be outrage if Dark Phoenix is buried. The trailer is already out.

by Anonymousreply 51October 3, 2018 1:27 PM

Dark Phoenix won't get buried. It was about to get dumped in February, but the trailer did so well in China that they're giving it a prime Summer release.

They should just drop New Mutants on Netflix or something.

by Anonymousreply 52October 3, 2018 1:28 PM

[quote]There will be outrage if Dark Phoenix is buried. The trailer is already out.

Trailer came out for New Mutants as well. They bumped its release a year and a half.

[quote]Dark Phoenix won't get buried. It was about to get dumped in February, but the trailer did so well in China that they're giving it a prime Summer release.

I forgot about that. I guess they've written off the US box office and are focusing on Asia.

by Anonymousreply 53October 3, 2018 1:33 PM

From the Sony leaks we learned that Amazing Amy Pascal was desperate to get Tom Hardy signed to play a Marvel villain. First she wanted him for Sandman in the aborted Sinister Six spinoff of Andrew Garfield's Spider-Man universe.

by Anonymousreply 54October 3, 2018 1:34 PM

I forgot about that Sinister Six spin-off. They even set it up at the end of the disastrous Amazing Spider-Man 2. Sony just needs to stop.

by Anonymousreply 55October 3, 2018 1:37 PM

So is this part of that aborted Sinister Six movie? Tom Hardy is Venom, Paul Giamatti is Rhino, Jamie Foxx is Electro, Felity Jones is Black Cat, Dane Dehane is Green Goblin.

by Anonymousreply 56October 3, 2018 1:39 PM

Sony has always struggled with its film division, I wouldn't be surprised if they sold it off soon. It would be a good asset for Netflix or Amazon.

by Anonymousreply 57October 3, 2018 1:41 PM

Shinishter Shicksh.

by Anonymousreply 58October 3, 2018 1:52 PM

This movie does not take place in the Marvel Cinematic Universe r25. Tom Holland's Spiderman does not exist here.

by Anonymousreply 59October 3, 2018 1:53 PM

R11, He was never better than in the 4-part "The Take," also with Brian Cox and Shaun Evans. Very well worth finding.

by Anonymousreply 60October 3, 2018 1:57 PM

Such an uninspired plot. Government developed weapon gets out of their control. Wow, I've never heard that one. Glad Marvel finally has experienced a flop

by Anonymousreply 61October 3, 2018 4:24 PM

This is not a Marvel Studios film, dumbass.

by Anonymousreply 62October 3, 2018 4:31 PM

The trailer makes it looks worse than GotG2 but better than BvsS.

by Anonymousreply 63October 3, 2018 4:33 PM

Not marvel studios but obviously a marvel property dumbass

by Anonymousreply 64October 3, 2018 4:39 PM

I am so tired of all these superhero movies. And I’ve been all in since Batman (1989). But now I’m done. They wore me out.

Except Ant-man. It’s small and heart-warming. I want more small heart-warming cinema.

by Anonymousreply 65October 3, 2018 5:14 PM

Watch Paddington.

by Anonymousreply 66October 3, 2018 5:25 PM

[quote]This movie does not take place in the Marvel Cinematic Universe [R25]. Tom Holland's Spiderman does not exist here.

But I thought Sony's Spider-Man is Tom Holland. So he does exist here. Or is Sony's Spider-Man still Andrew Garfield here?

by Anonymousreply 67October 3, 2018 6:10 PM

Sony recast Spider-Man when Disney's Marvel Studios wanted to add Spider-Man to the Marvel Universe. The Garfield Spider-Man movies were not meeting financial expectations so that series was ended and Spider-Man was rebooted with future Sony Spider-Man movies to be made in cooperation with Disney.

by Anonymousreply 68October 3, 2018 6:18 PM

Michelle Williams said in her HR interview that basically she accepts these kind of films now because she's got a family to feed. At least she was honest. I bet Riz Amed (sp?) is fuming... this was his first big american project, right?

by Anonymousreply 69October 3, 2018 6:20 PM

[quote]I bet Riz Amed (sp?) is fuming... this was his first big american project, right?

He did Rogue One like three years ago.

by Anonymousreply 70October 3, 2018 6:22 PM

Are you saying Michelle Williams can't feed her kids off the millions she's already made? Her kids won't go hungry if she never worked again.

by Anonymousreply 71October 3, 2018 6:24 PM

Why can't the gorgeous Tom Hardy land a solid hit? He's the British Armie Hammer.

by Anonymousreply 72October 3, 2018 6:27 PM

[quote][bold]The pervasive lack imagination of this film under the auspices of director Ruben Fleischer, in his first feature outing since the dreadful Gangster Squad in 2013, makes one appreciate the thought and care that Marvel has lavished not only on the likes of Black Panther and Captain America[/bold] but even on more minor-league entries such as the amusing Ant-Man titles. Everything here seems by-the-book, without amusement or surprise, save for Stan Lee's more extensive-than-usual last-minute cameo.

It always amazes me how many chances some of these no talents get in Hollywood. The guy has three films in pre-production.

by Anonymousreply 73October 3, 2018 6:30 PM

[quote]Sony recast Spider-Man when Disney's Marvel Studios wanted to add Spider-Man to the Marvel Universe. The Garfield Spider-Man movies were not meeting financial expectations so that series was ended and Spider-Man was rebooted with future Sony Spider-Man movies to be made in cooperation with Disney.

Yes, we all know that. But WHO is the Spider-Man in Sony's Venom? If the current Sony Spider-Man is Tom Holland then Tom Holland is this Venom's Spider-Man.

by Anonymousreply 74October 3, 2018 6:32 PM

There is no Spider-Man in the universe that Sony's Venom inhabits.

by Anonymousreply 75October 3, 2018 6:35 PM

R69 Williams also said she makes these kinds of films so it'll be easier for filmmakers like her independent director friend Kelly Reichardt to get their projects made. It makes sense to me. It'd be cool if she could attach herself to better blockbusters though.

R72 Also, Hardy's NOTHING like Armie Hammer. Dude's way more interesting and already managed to nab an Oscar nomination. Also, Dunkirk, The Revenant, and Mad Max were all hits.

R74 Sony, I'm sure, made Venom hoping it'd be a hit so that eventually they'd interlace Tom Holland into future films. It got shit reviews though, which could negatively affect its box office and any franchise hopes.

I feel for Holland in all of this because I'm sure he'd rather be associated with MCU quality films and not this Sony drivel. If Venom bombs he'll be fine though. I'm sure Disney will find a way to obtain Spider-Man and his characters wholesale.

by Anonymousreply 76October 3, 2018 6:37 PM

[quote]There is no Spider-Man in the universe that Sony's Venom inhabits.

Yes, there is. Venom does not exist without Spider-Man.

by Anonymousreply 77October 3, 2018 6:41 PM

R38, poor Namor. And She-Hulk actually. I guess nobody cares about them.

by Anonymousreply 78October 3, 2018 6:42 PM

Well read the dozens of reviews for the movie, R77, which all point out that Spider-Man does not exist in the movie's universe.

by Anonymousreply 79October 3, 2018 6:42 PM

She-hulk is my favorite marvel character. It's a shame she will never get a movie

by Anonymousreply 80October 3, 2018 6:44 PM

Michelle Williams is nearing 40, so it's pretty much her last chance to try to land herself one of these franchises. If it's a hit, it could provide a couple high-profile films for her to work on in her early 40s when work often starts to diminish for actresses. Appearing in hits also sustains an actress' ability to show up on casting lists for smaller projects they're probably more interested in doing.

by Anonymousreply 81October 3, 2018 6:49 PM

No, R71: she said it, not me.

by Anonymousreply 82October 3, 2018 6:54 PM

I thought Jack Davenport was the British Armie Hammer.

by Anonymousreply 83October 3, 2018 6:55 PM

talking about Hammer, i just saw J.Edgar. Jesus Christ, the movie is awful! And Armie plays Di Caprio's lover. It was written by DL fave and hack extraordinaire, Dustin Lance Black.

by Anonymousreply 84October 3, 2018 6:59 PM

[quote] It always amazes me how many chances some of these no talents get in Hollywood. The guy has three films in pre-production.

I think the powers that be care most about compliance. This guy probably is really good at doing what he is told. But seriously WTF?

by Anonymousreply 85October 3, 2018 7:12 PM

Holland will be fine for a while. Spiderman? Success. Infinity War? Success? Avengers 4? Probably success. Spiderman 2 (Far From Home)? Quite likely success. There. He's set until the 2020s.

And Venom isn't Marvel Studios. MS has its issues occasionally, but has largely been a gigantic powerhouse in cinema. Sony? More often ranging from flops to mixed results (with some successes, but they're far from as successful as the video game division).

by Anonymousreply 86October 3, 2018 8:10 PM

R78/R80 on the contrary, I find it encouraging that Universal Pictures are the only ones with the rights to make a She-Hulk movie.

Because if they do? It will be glorious.

Remember: Universal made STREET FIGHTER (the Japanese-American one with JCVD), ARMY OF DARKNESS and DARKMAN all of which still stand as cult classics of dark fighter/vigilante movies. If they made a She-Hulk movie in the vein of those films? I'd probably see it fifteen hundred times.

by Anonymousreply 87October 3, 2018 10:28 PM

Wow, I just went to check the Wiki and turns out 90% of my favorite movies as a kid were Universal flicks; mostly because I hated Disney and my Mom didn't like me watching anything that the kids down the street watched so she usually inadvertently picked my VHS tapes up from the Universal section in Blockbuster. They had some damn watchable and cool movies in their catalogue.

I remember looking forward to repeat viewings of WATCHERS (Corey Haim's most underrated movie), HARRY & THE HENDERSONS, SMOKEY & THE BANDIT (and sequels), DRAGONHEART (Dennis Quaid!), THE LAND BEFORE TIME, CASPER (the CGI Christina Ricci everyone shit on unreasonably), GOLD-DIGGERS (more Ricci), BABE, A SIMPLE WISH, Henson classics THE GREAT MUPPET CAPER & THE DARK CRYSTAL, BALTO, AN AMERICAN TAIL (and sequel), THE BORROWERS, TIMECOP, SMALL SOLDIERS, KINDERGARTEN COP, THE NUTTY PROFESSOR & BEETHOVEN (yes, the dog movie).

Then when I got older and chose my own movies, I stayed loyal and wore out the discs of more Universal. Favorites then & now include: SLAP SHOT, KUFFS (sigh, Christian Slater before he used to hit women), SIXTEEN CANDLES, RUMBLE FISH, CONTINENTAL DIVIDE (John Belushi's last movie :(), FRIED GREEN TOMATOES (I'm gay), XANADU (ditto), the original JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR (...do I even need to say it?), THE 'BURBS, PARENTHOOD (Keanu....), 12 MONKEYS, DAZED & CONFUSED, Jean-Claude Van Damme vehicles HARD TARGET (still the coolest movie on Earth) & SUDDEN DEATH, DUNE, DEMON KNIGHT (with DL-fave Billy Zane!), MST3K THE MOVIE, THE MUMMY, & MEET JOE BLACK. In the '80s/90s their only major missteps as a studio were ill-advised adaptations or sequels like THE FLINSTONES & BLUES BROTHERS 2000 (which wasn't even that bad tbh…)

Not that anyone cares if the VCR raised me. Just thought I'd point out that She-Hulk is by no means out for the count all on her own at Universal.

by Anonymousreply 88October 3, 2018 10:31 PM

[quote][R78]/[R80] on the contrary, I find it encouraging that Universal Pictures are the only ones with the rights to make a She-Hulk movie.

Marvel holds the Hulk rights again. However, they have a deal where Universal has the right of first refusal for the distribution of any Hulk-related films.

by Anonymousreply 89October 3, 2018 10:32 PM

The only reason I would want it to do well is I would love a porn parody--it's the only superhero movie trailer that's ever left me hard, because when Venom immobilizes his enemies and evilly talks about eating their organs and flexes his huge rippling muscles, it seems like what he really wants to do is hatefuck them to death.

by Anonymousreply 90October 3, 2018 10:39 PM

Too late for a She-Hulk movie. Chyna died.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91October 3, 2018 11:12 PM

Why are Namor and Kingpin in gray? What does that even mean?

by Anonymousreply 92October 3, 2018 11:55 PM

Riz and Tom sure are charming as they teach us British slang.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93October 4, 2018 4:03 AM

Film adaptations of 90s Marvel comics are disastrous ideas. It's generally agreed that that decade is the creative lowpoint for Marvel Comics, when the dreadful Rob Liefeld was the big creative force, and all the protagonists were murderous antiheroes and either were made of (or exuded) goo, or had ridiculously oversized muscles (even by comics standards) and pocket belts strapped across their thighs and carried enormous futuristic guns.

by Anonymousreply 94October 4, 2018 6:33 AM

Tom Hardy just isn't a star no matter what Hollywood PR says.

by Anonymousreply 95October 4, 2018 6:35 AM

Tom Hardy always wants to play movie parts where he can cover his face. I don't get it--that's by far his best part.

Pauline Kael famously wrote about her disappointment with Pret a Porter: "Julia Roberts not smiling is like Tom Cruise thinking." We could add, "...and is also like Tom Hardy not showing his lips."

by Anonymousreply 96October 4, 2018 6:39 AM

Another Man Baby film bites the dust. Thank God.

by Anonymousreply 97October 4, 2018 6:41 AM

Damn! The trailers looked so good.

by Anonymousreply 98October 4, 2018 6:44 AM

Hilarious review from Slate with commentary from the author’s “symbiote”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99October 4, 2018 11:02 AM

[quote]Why can't the gorgeous Tom Hardy land a solid hit?

Dark Knight Rises?

Mad Max: Fury Road?

Inception?

The Revenant?

Black Hawk Down???

by Anonymousreply 100October 4, 2018 11:13 AM

[quote]This is not a Marvel Studios film, dumbass.

The fuck? I mean...really with this?

I’m glad that you find this complicated mess that they’ve created uncomplicated--probably because you ‘ve spent countless hours reading up while jacking off to Tom Holland photos--but people with lives and a passing interest are not as familiar--so your assholery is unnecessary.

In other words, piss-off twat.

by Anonymousreply 101October 4, 2018 11:46 AM

Uh, everyone and their grandma knows this is not a MCU movie, just like Deadpool isn't.

by Anonymousreply 102October 4, 2018 11:54 AM

[quote]There is no Spider-Man in the universe that Sony's Venom inhabits.

[quote]Yes, there is. Venom does not exist without Spider-Man.

Right R77. HOWEVER, in this film, there is NO Spider-Man--as was discussed earlier in this thread-- which is the main point of contention with the movie. They’re essentially introducing a character based on a very popular character to people who are unfamiliar with that fact.

[quote]Uh, everyone and their grandma knows this is not a MCU movie, just like Deadpool isn't.

Uh, apparently they don't R102. And THAT assumption is why you're a twat.

by Anonymousreply 103October 4, 2018 11:58 AM

This looks like a children's movie.

by Anonymousreply 104October 4, 2018 12:02 PM

Just because Spider-Man is not in this movie does not mean he doesn’t exist. Do you think Batman doesn’t exist in the new Joker movie?

by Anonymousreply 105October 4, 2018 12:10 PM

When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away my comic books.

by Anonymousreply 106October 4, 2018 12:13 PM

R100, Hardy was not even remotely the lead in any of those movies, even the Mad Max reboot which hinged on Theron and the other women.

The movies where he is the lead in the last five years have tanked with mixed critical receptions.

by Anonymousreply 107October 4, 2018 12:14 PM

Vernom?

by Anonymousreply 108October 4, 2018 12:36 PM

Venorm?

by Anonymousreply 109October 4, 2018 12:37 PM

At the end of the day, Tom Hardy is a very good character actor. But he should stop being pushed as a lead in films. I actually think this film will successfully kill that.

by Anonymousreply 110October 4, 2018 12:53 PM

[quote]When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away my comic books.

Not me! I'm a child at heart!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111October 4, 2018 1:03 PM

The CGI looks Razz-worthy.

by Anonymousreply 112October 4, 2018 1:10 PM

R111, the version of The Illiad that I read (modern re-print, not the one below) also had pictures, so it read like a comic.

The pictures were very suggestive too... 😳

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113October 4, 2018 1:27 PM

Oh, there are actually "The Illiad" comics!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114October 4, 2018 1:31 PM

It'll still be #1 this weekend, but they need to be humbled - they can't keep churning out garbage and expecting to make tons of money.

by Anonymousreply 115October 4, 2018 1:51 PM

Nipples and Lips, Tom.

Just keep repeating that.

by Anonymousreply 116October 4, 2018 2:12 PM

His chest is gross to look at since it's completely covered with tattoos now.

by Anonymousreply 117October 4, 2018 2:31 PM

[Quote] I'm still scarred by how absolutely awful The Meg was.

Were you expecting it to be good?

by Anonymousreply 118October 4, 2018 5:09 PM

[quote] Black Hawk Down???

R100 mate, come on now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119October 4, 2018 5:36 PM

Lady Gaga and Bradley are singing all the way to the bank...

by Anonymousreply 120October 4, 2018 5:58 PM

How does Ruben FLEISCHER -- an abject, fucking garbage director -- keep getting to direct movies?

Take one guess.

by Anonymousreply 121October 4, 2018 6:24 PM

I read the reviews at The Guardian and Telegraph - man they were not kind. I don't know what kind of box office Venom will do, but critics are not encouraging folks to go and see it.

by Anonymousreply 122October 4, 2018 6:49 PM

i don't think the intended audience for this shitshow of a movie reads the critics. They probably can't read.

by Anonymousreply 123October 4, 2018 6:52 PM

The only Venom in which I'm interested.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124October 4, 2018 6:52 PM

I remember seeing the trailer in a theatre (to see Black Panther) and the audience laughed at Hardy's accent: Brooklyn via Liverpool via Toronto?

by Anonymousreply 125October 4, 2018 7:03 PM

[quote]but they need to be humbled - they can't keep churning out garbage and expecting to make tons of money.

Who is they? They're already humbled. They haven't had a hit in ages! The Amazing Spider-Man 2 was an abomination.

by Anonymousreply 126October 5, 2018 2:40 AM

R118, the few reviews I read of The Meg made it seem like the movie was a fun ride and not really that bad if you go in with low expectations. I wasn't expecting much but the low quality was still a shock, partly because I've absolutely adored The Meg audiobooks as background noise while painting. The books are obviously action-thrillers and quite trashy themselves but they work. The movie however is closer to Sharknado than to Jaws. It's way below normal Hollywood standards and that was the biggest shock. I've no idea how the movie was put into a worldwide theatrical distribution since it should've been straight to dvd/blu-ray or wherever crappy films go these days. Then again current global B.O. is $525M so obviously the whole thing worked.

Another head scratcher is The Meg's budget which is supposed to be $125M before P&A. There's no fucking way they used all that money properly for the production. Unless they paid each and everyone of the Chinese extras $100k for their two seconds on the screen.

by Anonymousreply 127October 5, 2018 11:04 PM

B+ Cinemascore, same as Justice League and Amazing Spider-Man 2

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128October 6, 2018 11:36 AM

I'm over these comic book based movies they all have the same formula and are not memorable.

by Anonymousreply 129October 6, 2018 12:13 PM

Maybe Tom isn't happening because of that bisexual thing he said years ago. Then when he became B-list, his PR tried to scrub the internet of that interview.

I saw Spider-Man homecoming a couple of months ago. Hardy doppelganger Logan Marshall Green was in it. I miss took him for Hardy and was really excited about the Spider-Man / Venom connection. I guess I was wrong.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130October 6, 2018 12:33 PM

There was much to be worried about here with Venom heading into the weekend. There was plenty of bad buzz surrounding the movie from internal studio debates if the movie should be rated PG-13 or R, to rumored creative difference between director Ruben Fleischer and Tom Hardy (the director wanted Venom to be serious, Hardy preferred more comedy; the movie in the end has both tones), to reshoots, to a backlash among fans over Venom being left out of the teaser, to noise that the pic was being edited down to the wire and wasn’t available to show to press until late last week. And then, oy, the reviews!

An actor shouldn’t dicktate the tone of the movie!

by Anonymousreply 131October 6, 2018 12:39 PM

R30 This thread is the first time read that she was even in the movie.

by Anonymousreply 132October 6, 2018 1:15 PM

i'm reading the BO is good so far...

by Anonymousreply 133October 6, 2018 1:17 PM

Box Office Mojo was predicting a $60 million dollar opening. After Thursday’s box office the prediction is $55 million.

I wonder if we are entering a time when Marvel movies don’t get critical appreciation but audience flock to their movies anyway. DC movies are critical duds but people seem to enjoy them.

by Anonymousreply 134October 6, 2018 1:27 PM

Box Office Mojo: SATURDAY AM UPDATE: Sony's release of Venom topped the charts on Friday with a massive $32.75 million and is looking to easily top the previous October opening weekend record. At this time the studio is projecting a three-day performance around $70.5 million while rival studios anticipate as much as $80+ million for the weekend. The film received a "B+" CinemaScore from opening day audiences, matching the grades for both Suicide Squad and Justice League.

by Anonymousreply 135October 6, 2018 4:17 PM

R127 Fair enough.

R131 I'm sure that's not the first time Hardy's done that on a film.

by Anonymousreply 136October 6, 2018 4:37 PM

[quote] rumored creative difference between director Ruben Fleischer and Tom Hardy (the director wanted Venom to be serious, Hardy preferred more comedy; the movie in the end has both tones

Fleischer's vision dominated the first half (the exposition) and Hardy's - the second half. IMHO, Hardy saved this movie. Fleischer tried an overly serious tone in the beginning, but it was unimaginative and longwinded. Hardy's comedy approach worked much better - it livened things up and was a hoot.

Hardy gave a great delirious performance. Though his accent was funny. Someone described it as Boston via Liverpool via Toronto, ha.

by Anonymousreply 137October 7, 2018 9:18 AM

Maybe I'm just dim, but I don't understand where the art comes into Hardy's shambling & rambling technique.

What is he trying to get across with it? How does it deepen and crystallise the story in his films? How is his chimerical accent meant to be a tool (rather than a crutch)? Why does he apply this approach to all his roles? Is it considered so unique and fresh and advanced because it defies the 'classical' style of Thesps? Can he actually act?

His style takes me out of the frame of the productions he's in; it's so distracting trying to follow his speech patterns and lurching tics that I often lose interest or focus when watching his movies. I don't want to write him off but...

by Anonymousreply 138October 7, 2018 12:28 PM

By far, Hardy is the best thing about this movie

by Anonymousreply 139October 7, 2018 12:40 PM

I agree, r139. If Hardy is a lead in a film, I will watch as I give him the benefit of the doubt that he'll give a great performance.

by Anonymousreply 140October 7, 2018 3:56 PM

BOX OFFICE MOJO: It was a record weekend at the box office for Sony's release of Venom, which delivered a massive $80 million, topping the previous October opening weekend record by more than $20 million.

Additionally, Warner Bros.'s A Star is Born more than carried its own weight with a stellar debut of its own, topping $40 million for its opening weekend and helping this become the largest October weekend of all-time.

One interesting note is while Venom's audience was predictably male leaning at 59%, only 36% of the overall audience was 25 years of age or older. Comparatively, 46% of Ant-Man and the Wasp's audience was 25+, 46% of Suicide Squad and 69% of Justice League. In fact, Venom had a younger overall audience than even Spider-Man: Homecoming which played to an audience of which 49% was 25 years of age or older.

by Anonymousreply 141October 7, 2018 4:29 PM

That does not shock, R141. Typical little boys love nothing better than badass mutant aliens that terrorise civilians, particularly if they also double up as ripped-dudes who ride cool motorcycles and get into street-fights.

by Anonymousreply 142October 7, 2018 9:16 PM

If you haven't seen the short film Sergeant Slaughter, My Big Brother Hardy did in 2011 now is the time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143October 7, 2018 9:21 PM

I just watched it. It was better than I thought it would be, though still atrocious.

100% certainty than it will a commercial hit.

by Anonymousreply 144October 8, 2018 12:34 AM

R143, if I had been the actor playing Hardy's brother I would have been in heaven when he threw me down on the bed, straddled me naked and pushed his nose right into mine.

by Anonymousreply 145October 8, 2018 7:23 AM

R145, I know, right :) People who haven't bothered to watch the short film at R143 should know that Hardy spends almost a minute naked showing his dick and balls, and a very nice body.

by Anonymousreply 146October 9, 2018 3:26 AM

I saw the film yesterday. It's a quick and dirty superhero film, and I liked it. I'm honestly a bit baffled by the terrible reviews it's been getting. Sure it's not the best film out there but it's still quite a solid little superhero action flick. I wasn't bored for a second and I enjoyed the movie about a hundred times more than The Avengers: Age of Ultron, or Logan which reviewers raved about.

IGN, which routinely gives episodes of Legends of Tomorrow, Arrow or Agents of SHIELD 9 or even 10 ratings gave the film only a score of 4.0 with a tagline stolen from the film "A turd in the wind". I mean what the hell? They even gave The Meg 7.3 which is... just.. argh. Oh well, apparently Venom has something most reviewers just don't like, I'm just not sure what. The film is technically well made, the actors do a good enough job and the film has a sort frenetic energy that I enjoyed. I was seriously waiting the film turn bad and when it didn't happen I was like wow, this is a nice film.

by Anonymousreply 147October 12, 2018 3:19 PM

I'm so happy this movie is tanking. Tom Hardy deserves all the hate and mock we can get, he's a true narcissistic asshole.

by Anonymousreply 148October 12, 2018 4:08 PM

You really have much emotional investment in Tom Hardy’s failure or success r148?

by Anonymousreply 149October 12, 2018 4:19 PM

R148, what makes you think the movie's tanking? It's been doing quite well and it broke the October opening weekend record. No one was expecting it to be a billion dollar film.

B.O. after six days:

Domestic: t $102,846,991 + Foreign: t $127,152,882 = Worldwide: t $229,999,873 t

by Anonymousreply 150October 12, 2018 4:44 PM

I saw it. Too chaotic. The lame-o humor falls flat. Monster is stomach-churning. Michelle Williams is miscast as Blonde Babe Girlfriend.

Sit til after the credits end for a special surprise.

by Anonymousreply 151October 12, 2018 5:00 PM

It’s a box office hit

by Anonymousreply 152October 12, 2018 5:03 PM

His performances are never subtle, but Tom Hardy is extremely talented. I wish he was more discerning with his films though, he always goes for the big paycheck. And what a disaster that TV show he created/produced/acted was.

by Anonymousreply 153October 12, 2018 5:12 PM

[quote] I saw it. Too chaotic. The lame-o humor falls flat. Monster is stomach-churning. Michelle Williams is miscast as Blonde Babe Girlfriend.

I can only assume the slightly chaotic and and off-kilter vibe was totally what the director was after. I haven't read the comics but I see the weirdness being partly what Venom is all about. I assume this is one of the main reasons reviewers can't seem to stand the film since it makes it a bit harder to grasp. The film is quite humorous and I liked that a lot. The most of it is quite low key and gives the film depth the same way as Deadpool 1 had it done, although there's no denying Deadpool certainly did it better. Still, Venom works on meta levels that you apparently either get and appreciate or you don't.

The character of Venom was awesome, I really liked him. I fell in love with him already in the trailers. I went in expecting to hate Williams since some reviews claimed there's zero chemistry between her and Hardy but I ended up liking her, especially with her new boyfriend. The trio was actually quite sweet, and I liked each and every one of them.

BTW, although I really enjoyed the film I'm not denying there's certain lameness to it. It could've gone further in various ways. But still, I think some people just fail to get what the film is all about. And I totally get it, since there certainly are films I personally can't stand that other people love.

by Anonymousreply 154October 12, 2018 5:27 PM

My hetero brother and his friends have told me that Tom Hardy is their man crush.

by Anonymousreply 155October 12, 2018 9:31 PM

Collapse????

This is the #1 movie in the world.

by Anonymousreply 156October 12, 2018 9:38 PM

Number one for the second week. 378 million worldwide. I'm shocked.

by Anonymousreply 157October 14, 2018 4:35 PM

I thought Venom was doing OK at the boxoffice. It is, isn't it?

by Anonymousreply 158October 14, 2018 4:39 PM

Venom did not “collapse” just because critics gave thumbs down. Venom is like a DC comics movie: critics hated it but audience can’t get enough. See Suicide Squad. Horrible movie but a box office hit with a sequel on the way.

Venom: is #1 at the box office again with $142 million domestic after two weeks. Go Tom Hardy!

by Anonymousreply 159October 14, 2018 4:43 PM

I would've preferred a more serious take on the character and more moral ambiguity but I guess they succeeded for what they were going for. It's much less interesting than it could've been, and in some ways a a waste of Hardy's talent, but still passable. I'm still hoping for an alternate take on the character in some form or another.

by Anonymousreply 160October 14, 2018 4:46 PM

I went to see it because of Hardy. No matter what he's in, or how big or small the role, he gives a great performance. He didn't disappoint with Venom either.

by Anonymousreply 161October 14, 2018 4:46 PM

Riz Ahmed was also boring as hell. I was worried when I saw and trailer and hoped he had something special planned up his sleeve but no, he is as bland as bland can be.

by Anonymousreply 162October 14, 2018 4:49 PM

[quote]Riz Ahmed was also boring as hell. I was worried when I saw and trailer and hoped he had something special planned up his sleeve but no, he is as bland as bland can be.

Anyone who isn't Hardy wasn't served in this film. I liked that they didn't make Michelle Williams' character a haranguing type. I liked that she and her boyfriend were helping Eddie versus being his antagonists.

by Anonymousreply 163October 14, 2018 4:54 PM

[quote] The film is technically well-made, the actors do a good enough job and the film has a sort frenetic energy that I enjoyed. I was seriously waiting the film turn bad and when it didn't happen I was like wow, this is a nice film.

'So Okay, It's Average'. That's worse than a damning review.

"Nice" and "good enough" are forgettable and forgettable is the last thing a decent film ought to be.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164October 14, 2018 4:56 PM

Sony shouldn't gamble on a sequel. I don't think it will perform as well. They should just be happy with Spider-man and Jumanji being successes.

by Anonymousreply 165October 14, 2018 5:01 PM

Reviews don't really mean a thing. I went to see Dunkirk last year because every critic was either creaming themselves or soaking wet because of it. I fell asleep for the first time in a theater ever while watching it.

I went to see Venom and it was a good popcorn movie. Hardy was great, and I was entertained for a couple hours. The shit reviews from "professional critics" can go to hell.

by Anonymousreply 166October 14, 2018 5:01 PM

[quote]You really have much emotional investment in Tom Hardy’s failure or success [R148]?

Plenty of posters on this thread seem to - as well as in the failure or success of the movie itself.

by Anonymousreply 167October 14, 2018 5:11 PM

[quote] An actor shouldn’t dicktate the tone of the movie!

LOL at "dicktate".

Ryan Reynolds fared pretty well with controlling the tone of the first Deathpool movie even after the studio cut the movie's budget.

by Anonymousreply 168October 14, 2018 5:17 PM

Sorry, DEADPOOL.

by Anonymousreply 169October 14, 2018 5:18 PM

Go Michelle Williams!!!!

She finally said yes to a popcorn comic movie and it BLEW UP MEGA LARGE!!!

So excited for her. Hopefully she got points on this movie because her salary was $1 million.

She's the best actress of her generation. Hopefully she'll be remembered with a legacy now because it wasn't looking good for her, despite her five thousand Oscar noms via Harvey.

by Anonymousreply 170October 14, 2018 5:47 PM

Michelle is one of my favorites and it seems like she's more open to commercial films than in the past. I never would've thought she would be the biggest star coming outta Dawson's Creek.

by Anonymousreply 171October 14, 2018 6:20 PM

I hope Tom Holland shows up in the next one and Hardy pounds his juicy little spiderhole

by Anonymousreply 172October 15, 2018 4:25 AM

[quote] 'So Okay, It's Average'. That's worse than a damning review. "Nice" and "good enough" are forgettable and forgettable is the last thing a decent film ought to be.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the hell out of the movie. Yes it's not a huge and deep superhero film à la X-Men: Days of Future Past (probably my favorite superhero film ever with X2) but like I said it's a quick and dirty superhero flick, and it works as such. Just like it worked for the first Deadpool. Sure Venom could've been better made, it could've been slightly tighter, but I really like how it turned out. I wasn't bored for one second while watching it, and I was surprised how short the film seemed to be even though it's almost two hours. That tells I was utterly satisfied and entertained the whole time I was in the theater.

It is a "nice" movie and I don't mean that negatively at all. I was reacting to reviews saying it's a bad film, which it really isn't. The same reviewers are giving four to five stars to most MCU films and yet I've seen so many MCU films that, yes, are in some ways better made and have more happening in them but are average as hell. I many times can't remember what truly happened in them the next day. They are technically well-made but utterly forgettable junk. Compared to them I just really enjoyed Venom more.

by Anonymousreply 173October 16, 2018 8:17 AM

It's doing gangbusters despite the critics.

by Anonymousreply 174October 16, 2018 9:49 AM

R159 Really curious to see if Jared is gonna be in the sequel of SS. It’s either him or James Gunn. What a delight.

I liked Venom, better than all the other popcorn movies. Hardy is a versatile actor and I really like what he’s doing.

by Anonymousreply 175October 16, 2018 10:55 AM

Who’s Jared?

by Anonymousreply 176October 18, 2018 8:11 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 177October 19, 2018 11:50 AM

R176 Was that supposed to be a joke? Jared Leto.

by Anonymousreply 178October 19, 2018 12:19 PM

I don’t think Jared is up to the point where he doesn’t need a last name anymore. He’s not Ellen or Oprah.

[quote]It’s either him or James Gunn.

Why is it an either or situation? Do they refuse to work with each other?

by Anonymousreply 179October 19, 2018 12:27 PM

R179 Well, yeah. Basically James Gunn has been trashing Leto for two years now, calling him out on his pedo tendencies ( sleeping with 16 models) etc. So he’s he gonna be game now that he has to work with him or not?

by Anonymousreply 180October 20, 2018 10:16 AM

It's now available on torrents

by Anonymousreply 181December 15, 2018 1:22 PM

Budget $100–116 million

Box office $852.7 million

by Anonymousreply 182December 15, 2018 1:24 PM

Watched this movie on demand tonight and loved it. Tom Hardy always comes through. However, he and Michelle Williams had zero chemistry. I found her to be the weak link in the film and not in Tom's league. She was a strange casting decision. But I believe there will be a sequel and I look forward to it.

by Anonymousreply 183January 4, 2019 5:14 AM

My gaydar goes off everyone I see him on screen. He’s an attractive man and I can be wrong

by Anonymousreply 184January 4, 2019 5:26 AM

Michelle William's wig and accent were fucking horrible. She should have used her normal pixie cut and spoke like a human being in her regular voice.

How much money will Hardy pocket from this salary plus backend points holy crap.

by Anonymousreply 185January 5, 2019 7:08 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!