Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Are there any Self Help books that you would recommend?

This genre seems to be filled with many books that have little value, or may even be harmful.

Are there any worthwhile self improvement books you would recommend to others?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49November 8, 2018 7:53 PM

Not sure if this is considered Self Help, but Questlove's new book has a lot of good ideas on the creative process:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1October 1, 2018 12:35 AM

The Work of Byron Katie - YouTube, books, podcast.

by Anonymousreply 2October 1, 2018 12:53 AM

I just started reading this and like it so far. The Four Agreements by Ruiz.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3October 1, 2018 1:26 AM

Dianetics

by Anonymousreply 4October 1, 2018 1:30 AM

This one is old, but it was very helpful to me back when I was younger, and struggling with anxiety. You can read the ratings and reviews, of course, before deciding to get it. You may as well check your local library.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5October 1, 2018 1:38 AM

Ugh no.

by Anonymousreply 6October 1, 2018 1:39 AM

- The Art of Mental Training - Gonzalez

- Cheat Codes for Life - Crayola

- Mind Power - Kehoe

- Reality Transurfing - Zeland

- Beyond Positive Thinking - Anthony

- The War of Art - Pressfield

- 177 Mental Toughness Secrets of the World Class - Siebold

by Anonymousreply 7October 1, 2018 2:14 AM

I can totally recommend "You Are A Badass" by Jen Sincero. It basically tells you to get rid of self-doubt and "if you can dream it, you can do it" type of mentality. I've really enjoyed getting back into meditation because it's helped with my blood pressure.

by Anonymousreply 8October 1, 2018 2:48 AM

"Feeling Good" by David Burns is phenomenal. Written in 1980 and still going strong. You don't have to be the slightest bit "woo" to respond to the book. In fact, he shows that it's depression that's BS and how to put the lie to it.

by Anonymousreply 9October 1, 2018 3:27 AM

Idiots just love, "The Secret."

by Anonymousreply 10October 1, 2018 3:32 AM

"You Can Feel Good Again" by Richard Carlson.

by Anonymousreply 11October 1, 2018 3:33 AM

12 Rules for Life by Jordan Peterson

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12October 1, 2018 3:45 AM

ONE OF THE GREATEST ENTERTAINERS OF OUR TIME CANDIDLY REVEALS HER VERY PERSONAL STRUGGLE WITH AN ISSUE SO MANY OF US FACE EVERY DAY: SELF-ESTEEM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13October 1, 2018 4:05 AM

I liked it too, R12, but it all comes down to being an agent of your own life.

You get to choose some aspects, and then lean on the talents you have. Whining is childish bullshit. Bitching about people born on third base is envy.

by Anonymousreply 14October 1, 2018 4:11 AM

The Way of the Superior Man - David Deida

With Winning in Mind - Lanny Bassham

The Power of Your Subconscious Mind - Joseph Murphy

The Winner's Bible - Kerry Spackman

Awareness - Anthony De Mello

The Obstacle Is the Way - Ryan Holiday

Creative Visualization - Shakti Gawain

The 50th Law - Robert Greene

by Anonymousreply 15October 1, 2018 4:15 AM

No, OP. I don't think there are any decent self help books. You are better off getting books in the "spiritual" category, not pop regular self help. The reason why I say this is that I used to be a big self help junkie, and you're right about this:

[quote]This genre seems to be filled with many books that have little value, or may even be harmful.

Yes, it's true. It's a very shallow genre. The reason why is that self help is just as much about making money as any other genre. So the vast majority of them will just tell readers what they want to hear, which is a lot of feel good fluff and empty platitudes that don't really dole out any good advice.

What I do recommend, OP, is finding a decent biography of someone who's endured struggle but overcame it or, like I said earlier, finding books that tend to be more on the "spiritual" side (New Age, Buddhist, Christian). Books on Zen (like by Alan Watts) tend to have more depth to them.

by Anonymousreply 16October 1, 2018 4:31 AM

Feeling Good by David Burns is less a self-help book than a layman’s guide to Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) which has been recognized via many scientific studies to be the most effective form of treatment for many forms of anxiety and depression and other psychological / psychiatric issues. Many studies have shown CBT to be more effective than drug based treatments - though it is usually suggested in combination.

It’s great because it’s marketed and written in a very pragmatic, self - help way but is based in sound and scientifically researched methods. Basically the opposite of spiritual New Agey “the Secret” type books.

by Anonymousreply 17October 1, 2018 4:42 AM

Great post, R16! Care to share some of those spiritual books?

That's one reason I wanted to make this thread... to STOP people from spending time with worthless books. I see it on my morning commute every day - intelligent people reading books that may hurt them. They literally would be better staring into space.

That said, there are some gems over the last century worth finding. Hopefully they will be discussed in this thread.

by Anonymousreply 18October 1, 2018 4:48 AM

The Book or Mormon has everything you need to know. Please call the number below and two young Mormon guys will bring you a copy.

by Anonymousreply 19October 1, 2018 5:06 AM

"Boundaries," by Cloud and Townsend, is the book I recommend most often to people, and one that people get a lot out of. It has some religious bits, but you can easily ignore them, as I do. It has excellent insight and examples, and practical methods for building your boundaries so you can deal with anyone abusive, npd, bpd, or just pushy or who makes you feel bad.

by Anonymousreply 20October 1, 2018 6:53 AM

Love and Addiction by Steele and Brodsky.

Published in 1975 and still relevant today.

by Anonymousreply 21October 1, 2018 7:04 AM

The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen Covey.

by Anonymousreply 22October 1, 2018 7:15 AM

The 7 Methods of Effective Suicide is a must read for us 50+ eldergays facing a bleak future.

by Anonymousreply 23October 1, 2018 7:28 AM

My Way Of Life by Joan Crawford. Even if you're a lonely, miserable old slob who Febreezes his bedding rather than washing it, after reading MWOL you'll emerge a fragrant, vibrant , USEFUL member of society. Among Joan's pro-tips: make your own mayonnaise (she's suspicious of that stuff in jars you can purchase at supermarkets) then use it for a masque ("a good masque only really needs 20 minutes to work") and follow that by shampooing with it. You'll soon find you're an intellectually stimulating, stunningly youthful starlet again, ready for an extravagant evening with your favorite beau!

by Anonymousreply 24October 1, 2018 7:30 AM

Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking - Marcella Hazan

by Anonymousreply 25October 1, 2018 7:31 AM

Feeling Good by Dr. David Burns for depression.

by Anonymousreply 26October 1, 2018 8:24 AM

This series published by the Mind and Life Institute [under the Dalaï Lama’s patronage but are mostly written by respectable scientists from institutions like MIT ] - they have saved/are still saving my life:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27October 1, 2018 8:36 AM

Fear by Thich That Hanh. Honoring the Self by Nathaniel Branden.

by Anonymousreply 28October 1, 2018 8:59 AM

[quote]Even if you're a lonely, miserable old slob who Febreezes his bedding rather than washing it,

Febreez is expensive and not ethnic enough ..

by Anonymousreply 29October 1, 2018 11:20 AM

Another vote for “Feeling Good” by David Burns.

“From Panic to Power” by Lucinda Bassett was also helpful to me in managing my anxiety.

by Anonymousreply 30October 1, 2018 11:28 AM

[quote]Great post, [R16]! Care to share some of those spiritual books?

I would recommend anything by Alan Watts (he was the guy who introduced Zen to American audiences) or a primer on Zen. Not a bullshit, "Zen and the Art of _____" or "The Zen of ______" primer, but something that's actually trying to teach you concepts.

by Anonymousreply 31October 1, 2018 2:02 PM

[quote]That's one reason I wanted to make this thread... to STOP people from spending time with worthless books. I see it on my morning commute every day - intelligent people reading books that may hurt them. They literally would be better staring into space.

Those books helped contribute to our current "post-truth" society. Back in the 1980s and 1990s, one of the biggest mantras of those books was "You control reality with your mind."

by Anonymousreply 32October 1, 2018 2:29 PM

What’s a handy dandy guide to get over psychological roadblocks caused by anger/blame, particularly toward families? I think DLers of all stripes would greatly benefit from a book on that (stocking fillers!)

by Anonymousreply 33October 2, 2018 4:13 PM

If I recommended a self help book, wouldn't that be defeating the purpose?

by Anonymousreply 34October 2, 2018 4:22 PM

Has anyone given themselves DBT, and if so did it work?

I’m not having any success with self-help CBT and my depression and temper are getting worse..

by Anonymousreply 35October 12, 2018 4:02 PM

I know she isn't very popular around here, but Louise Hay's You Can Heal your Life helped me in a very dark time.

She helped me to overcome a lot of resentment issues I had.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36October 12, 2018 4:13 PM

^^isnt that the broad who attributes common ailments or physical conditions to psychological dissatisfaction, I.e, a persistent cough to ‘an ability to properly express one’s feelings’?

by Anonymousreply 37October 15, 2018 11:54 AM

OP, you should get the self-help book that shows you how to use other self help books.

by Anonymousreply 38October 16, 2018 10:31 PM

"The Craft of the Cocktail" and "The Joy of Gay Sex"

all the wisdom that a DL should ever need.

by Anonymousreply 39October 16, 2018 10:37 PM

If you have anxiety and panic attacks, the work of Claire Weekes is invaluable. Her books are warmly written yet no-nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 40October 16, 2018 10:37 PM

You posted about Louise Hay before I had a chance. Yes, Louise Hay's books were very insightful and helpful to me. I always recommend them to others. She died a year or so ago at age 90 but her books live on.

by Anonymousreply 41October 17, 2018 2:59 AM

Meant for R36 ^

by Anonymousreply 42October 17, 2018 3:00 AM

R35 - I did a lot of work with DBT recently. To me, it added a whole layer of insights that CBT didn’t address. CBT did a lot for me - but it alway seemed to be too simple and incomplete. DBT’s biggest help was radical acceptance. Added a layer of Buddhist acceptance to the CBT idea that you should constantly fight your automatic thoughts.

A lot of good stuff at Dbtselfhelp.com

NB, Feeling Good is a great book for basic CBT learning that I would recommend for anyone.

by Anonymousreply 43October 17, 2018 4:04 AM

Anyone have recommendations for writers?

by Anonymousreply 44October 17, 2018 4:55 AM

Salbutemol stirred into your coffee and shut up, R44.

by Anonymousreply 45October 21, 2018 3:01 PM

I’m looking for something that’s going to help me find and maintain confidence in my ideas and initiative. I have a million ideas and so much mental energy but I can’t find a way to release it in a constrictive way (and a way that will let me support myself and express myself artistically).

I tried The Artists’ Way and it didn’t help me at all.

by Anonymousreply 46November 8, 2018 7:03 PM

Feel the fear and do it anyway

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47November 8, 2018 7:05 PM

Cal Newport 'Deep Work' - I haven't read a better book on how to work effectively.

by Anonymousreply 48November 8, 2018 7:44 PM

One more - not a self-help book in the strict sense but quite eye-opening; Why We Sleep by Matthew Walker.

by Anonymousreply 49November 8, 2018 7:53 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!