Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Murphy Brown premier tonight. Train-wreck?

You can never go back to before

by Anonymousreply 600January 8, 2019 5:02 AM

But you can sure have fun trying!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1September 27, 2018 11:39 PM

Most of the reviews I've read have been negative, but I'm excited about seeing Tyne Daly.

by Anonymousreply 2September 27, 2018 11:47 PM

"Train-wreck?"

Am I being accused by Murphy Brown too?

by Anonymousreply 3September 27, 2018 11:52 PM

Who gives a shit about Bloated Bergen and her misty watercolor memories?

by Anonymousreply 4September 27, 2018 11:58 PM

It’s not good. Haven’t laughed once and the characters have not held well (not talking physically, but more about the ability to come across as funny).

by Anonymousreply 5September 28, 2018 1:43 AM

What role does Miss Tyne Daly have?

by Anonymousreply 6September 28, 2018 1:45 AM

Tyne Daly is good, but the others seem stiff and unsure.

by Anonymousreply 7September 28, 2018 1:48 AM

Tyne Daly is now the bartender at their watering hole.

by Anonymousreply 8September 28, 2018 1:54 AM

Bergen needed a co-star fatter than she.

by Anonymousreply 9September 28, 2018 2:05 AM

Awful.

by Anonymousreply 10September 28, 2018 4:21 AM

Candice Bergen still hasn't learned to act.

by Anonymousreply 11September 28, 2018 5:11 AM

She's as big as a house!

by Anonymousreply 12September 28, 2018 5:11 AM

Hate it then and now. A horribly directed show with the actors always yelling their lines. Although a good Bella Abzug or Dean Rusk joke always cracks me up.

by Anonymousreply 13September 28, 2018 5:54 AM

It's OK. Comforting. Hillary's cameo was nice.

by Anonymousreply 14September 28, 2018 2:12 PM

Agree that everyone is trying too hard, and the humor is so obvious.

by Anonymousreply 15September 28, 2018 2:15 PM

Still better than Love and War.

by Anonymousreply 16September 28, 2018 10:00 PM

I have a theory that on all of these big network reboots, the big actors only agree to come back of the process can be much easier than it was before. So, for instance, they don’t do a million retakes to get things right, rehearse and run lines, or even remember lines in some cases. That’s why people like John Hoodman, Laurie Metcalf, and Bergen seem much less engaging than they were before. They are all sort of phoning it in, and they don’t have the arduous sitcom process to protect them from their own weaknesses.

by Anonymousreply 17September 28, 2018 10:14 PM

Three words.

Turren of beef.

by Anonymousreply 18September 28, 2018 10:16 PM

It wasn't particularly funny or particularly political (except for the bit where DJT was supposedly tweeting). Hillary's appearance was fun but wooden and not well written. All in all, I can't decide if I will watch again. Maybe? I liked the old version.

by Anonymousreply 19September 28, 2018 10:19 PM

I never liked this show.

by Anonymousreply 20September 28, 2018 10:21 PM

r20=Dan Quayle

by Anonymousreply 21September 29, 2018 12:12 AM

Bergen also had a stroke a few years ago and has memory issues. I think that may be why she isn't quite as sharp.

by Anonymousreply 22September 29, 2018 5:44 AM

Bergen gave NO indication of having memory issues. That’s just bullshit. She’s also not as heavy as she wa# a few years ago. Is sh3 thin? No. SO WHAT.

The episode wasn’t great, but I still liked it. I think Murphy’s relationship with her son is great, and I think they’ll work out the kinks in other areas. I’ll watch again, because it’s still better than most comedies on the air.

The Hillary scene was great, btw.

by Anonymousreply 23September 29, 2018 6:25 AM

r23=got triggered

by Anonymousreply 24September 29, 2018 6:28 AM

Fuck you, R24.

by Anonymousreply 25September 29, 2018 8:15 AM

Fuck you all, I bet you loved Charlie too.

by Anonymousreply 26September 29, 2018 1:40 PM

Charlie was a way more nuanced actor.

by Anonymousreply 27September 29, 2018 3:47 PM

Hillz is cameo-ing (along with her fellow former SecStaters Maddy Albright and Col-Col Powell) on next Sunday's season premiere of "Madam Secretary".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28September 29, 2018 4:03 PM

CB has "Old Lady Voice."

Grant Shaud got fat.

Jake McDorman is HAF.

About every five minutes, there is a "hot flash" joke.

Hillary's appearance needed better writing.

The laugh track is off the charts.

Done and dusted. No need to watch any more eps.

by Anonymousreply 29September 29, 2018 4:19 PM

Murphy's bastard son seems nice. They're real people, right?

by Anonymousreply 30September 29, 2018 4:32 PM

They're as real as Lindsey Graham's heterosexuality.

by Anonymousreply 31September 29, 2018 4:33 PM

Did they explain why the son, who's now a network anchor, still lives with Mommy?

by Anonymousreply 32September 29, 2018 6:46 PM

He just moved back to DC, r32.

by Anonymousreply 33September 29, 2018 6:52 PM

So does anyone have info on Grant Shaud and why he left (replaced by Lily Tomlin) after Season 8?

Was it really a sex scandal?

by Anonymousreply 34September 30, 2018 12:18 AM

One of the critics was wondering why they didn't get Haley Joel Osment, who played Avery in the original series, to come back for this go-round. Maybe they asked and he wasn't interested?

by Anonymousreply 35September 30, 2018 12:33 AM

I just watched it and thought it was okay, not great. The Hillary cameo could've been written so much better than it was. Overall, though, I liked it enough that I will give it another chance. (Don't think the ratings were all that spectacular.)

by Anonymousreply 36September 30, 2018 12:35 AM

Hillary can’t act. And there wasn’t anything funny about this show.

by Anonymousreply 37September 30, 2018 12:58 AM

Cbs is sinking fast with shit like this and Magnum PI. Losers.

by Anonymousreply 38September 30, 2018 1:07 AM

r35 Have you SEEN Haley Joel Osment lately? No one would give someone who looks like him a job on a network news show. NPR, maybe.

by Anonymousreply 39September 30, 2018 1:16 AM

It was just terrible. I’m not a republican (and I was when this show was on the first time). I *loved* this show in the ‘80s. LOVED IT. Never missed it. Love Candy Bergen. But this? Wow. It’s ... bad dinner theater. I’ll watch it for Avery. He’s ... otter-ific.

by Anonymousreply 40September 30, 2018 1:43 AM

I enjoyed it, Tyne was a great addition, but the original cast are kinda chunky, which is a little scary.

by Anonymousreply 41September 30, 2018 1:47 AM

r35 Who would take this over Jake McDorman?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42September 30, 2018 1:54 AM

[quote] Jake McDorman is HAF.

Yes, but the pants they have him wearing show no ass

I never understood why they don't tailor actors' pants better. Everybody likes a shapely rear end, am I right?

by Anonymousreply 43September 30, 2018 1:57 AM

r41 Tyne had, what, two lines but she gave better line readings than anyone else. I hope they give her more to do in future episodes, like maybe replace Faith Ford.

r43 I commented on this in the other thread and got shit for it.

I want Scott Bakula back for a guest spot.

by Anonymousreply 44September 30, 2018 2:00 AM

It was the critic in THR who brought up HJO in his review:

[quote]there's no real season why Haley Joel Osment shouldn't have returned as Avery, since he has more than proven his comic chops in recent years

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45September 30, 2018 2:03 AM

r45 About three hundred reasons, one for each pound he's gained since The Sixth Sense.

by Anonymousreply 46September 30, 2018 2:05 AM

I was rooting for this, but it just felt odd to me. I wonder if it would have worked as a special or something. The news cycle is very different now and anything that isn't up to the minute feels dated,

by Anonymousreply 47September 30, 2018 5:05 AM

Grant Shaud never married. Gay?

by Anonymousreply 48September 30, 2018 5:31 AM

A nice reunion but a little wooden. I'm a sucker so I'll give them time to find their speed. Hopefully they will bring back Jane Leeves and (still hot) Christopher Rich.

by Anonymousreply 49September 30, 2018 5:46 AM

Going by the reviews, the first three episodes are subpar, but that still doesn't mean they won't improve.

by Anonymousreply 50September 30, 2018 5:57 AM

I could predict almost every line before the characters said it. That's never a good sign

by Anonymousreply 51September 30, 2018 5:59 AM

Grant Shaud has gained weight but is still kinda cute. I'd fuck him.

by Anonymousreply 52September 30, 2018 6:03 AM

Of course everyone came back. Who's turning down $200,000 per episode?

No one.

by Anonymousreply 53September 30, 2018 6:08 AM

Premier, OP?

by Anonymousreply 54September 30, 2018 6:36 AM

This was not a show people remembered. It shouldn’t have returned. They couldn’t even sell it on DVD. They actually ceased production because sales were so poor. This was an old people’s show and they’re dead now.

by Anonymousreply 55September 30, 2018 6:38 AM

R55 Actually the music rights were too expensive, so fuck off and cry wank while watching Riverdale

by Anonymousreply 56September 30, 2018 6:40 AM

Wrong, r56. Music is replaced for DVD all the time. Sales were poor. The numbers were revealed on TVShowsonDVD. It didn’t sell. The show wasn’t even a syndication hit. Nobody cares for this show.

by Anonymousreply 57September 30, 2018 6:42 AM

Grant Shaud was hilarious and one of my faves on the show when it was on originally. But he seemed to have disappeared after that. Did he go on to some other big series or was his career in retreat? I would have expected him to be on more comedy series, as Miles was a very important part of the original "Murphy Brown" and he played it to the hilt.

by Anonymousreply 58September 30, 2018 6:50 AM

[quote]Did he go on to some other big series or was his career in retreat?

He was on a hilarious short-lived show on FOX called Oliver Beene (which was like The Wonder Years meets Mad Men era). It was great (he played Oliver's dad) but FOX, stupid network that it is, canceled it before it could take off.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59September 30, 2018 7:03 AM

I watched the pilot tonight and it was very hit and miss. Some of the jokes landed (like the whole bit with the Indian intern) and the reference to Eldin was a nice touch. Everything else felt kind of rusty. You could tell that Candice Bergen and Diane English either haven't been doing sitcoms for a long time or were having a hard time getting a rhythm going for whatever reason. I think there's room for improvement so I'll wait and see.

by Anonymousreply 60September 30, 2018 7:17 AM

I am still gong to watch. Candice when she hits her stride will fuck with Trump better than anyone on air. I saw her two years ago, basically she doesnt give a fuck if people think she is fat - she’s OLDER for Gods sake, also she was one of the most beautiful women for decades so give her a break. In person she is tremendously funny. I’m in - the pissing on Trump will be positively inspiring.

by Anonymousreply 61September 30, 2018 9:14 AM

[quote] I’m not a republican (and I was when this show was on the first time).

Why were you a republican then, r40? Are you gay?

by Anonymousreply 62September 30, 2018 9:23 AM

[quote] Everybody likes a shapely rear end, am I right?

Couldn't care less. Give me dick.

by Anonymousreply 63September 30, 2018 9:24 AM

Based on the ratings (which will only drop after initial interest) This will be a one and DONE. Trust.

by Anonymousreply 64September 30, 2018 10:42 AM

Bad writing. Exposition fest. It's a shame but this is just adequate traditional network sitcom quality. The audience with standards low enough for that won't buy what it is selling. Won't be the first cancellation of the season out of respect for Bergen but it won't last.

by Anonymousreply 65September 30, 2018 2:06 PM

It crossed my mind that after next week ratings take a dive (and I suspect it will be disastrous) that the show might not even have all of its episodes aired. But I think you are right, out of respect for Bergen, English, and the show's legacy, they will air all episodes and then cancel it. Disappointing that CBS approved this and that English thought this was a good show.

by Anonymousreply 66September 30, 2018 2:09 PM

The writing really feels trapped in time.

by Anonymousreply 67September 30, 2018 2:26 PM

Speaking of trapped in time, in twenty years, she hasn't had her house painted? She's got the same sofa?

by Anonymousreply 68September 30, 2018 2:27 PM

R23 Google Candace Bergen stroke and you'll see dozens of interviews with Bergen in which talks the stroke she had in 2006 and how it permanently effected her short term memory. Also there were moments on the show when her cue card reading was very obvious. This isn't a criticism of her, this is just the truth.

by Anonymousreply 69September 30, 2018 2:45 PM

R66, my guess would be, if the ratings collapse and CBS pulls the plug, that they will perhaps issue some kind of statement on Bergen and English's behalf saying that "it was never their intention to return long-term to the grind of a weekly series" or something to that effect as a dignified out for them (even though we all would know the real reason).

I would be surprised, though, bad ratings or not, if they would yank it before all of the episodes ordered had a chance to air just to avoid the embarrassment of pulling them and making the obvious even more obvious.

by Anonymousreply 70September 30, 2018 2:56 PM

So Avery has just returned to town and has to live with his mom? Fr how long? Will he bring home his dates and fuck them upstairs?

by Anonymousreply 71September 30, 2018 3:03 PM

I actually think it would be a nice little twist if Avery turned out to be gay, but I seriously doubt they would go there (particularly on CBS, the grandparent network).

by Anonymousreply 72September 30, 2018 3:05 PM

R72 thinks it’s 1988.

by Anonymousreply 73September 30, 2018 3:24 PM

R73 thinks he's still got a chance to get on the Supreme Court after this week is over.

by Anonymousreply 74September 30, 2018 3:26 PM

I was disappointed they killed off Eldin (the painter) with a reference to his 'running with the bulls' instead of addressing Robert Pastorelli's suicide.

They could've done it in a couple of sentences, 'Who would've known he was suffering? On the outside he gave no indication. You never know what demons people are fighting. Let's hope he's in a better place', or something like that. They never shied away from controversial subjects before but I guess suicide is still taboo.

by Anonymousreply 75September 30, 2018 3:57 PM

This might have been better as a kind of dramedy... the fact is, many of the reboot cast don't contribute much... their delivery is adequate. But the times have changed, the issues have changed... there was enough stuff happened and could happen there was dramatic material to mine... Murphy Brown as Barbara Walters... talented, legendary, aging... but refusing to go. The tension between her and younger production and network types.... so much stuff to have drawn from.

I can't believe somebody at some point in pre production or production didn't put up their hand and ask 'it is a problem that this is a comedy but the script isn't really funny?'

by Anonymousreply 76September 30, 2018 4:06 PM

Does R75 understand the actor is not actually the character?

by Anonymousreply 77September 30, 2018 5:13 PM

Maybe we should dissect every episode of every comedy this way.

To death.

by Anonymousreply 78October 1, 2018 3:00 AM

The first episode was just OK. The character Murphy Brown is just too soft now and I hope they bring back her claws. The fun of the original series is you always knew she was capable of letting anyone have it, and on the occasions she went off on someone it was so satisfying.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79October 1, 2018 3:14 AM

Corny, r79.

by Anonymousreply 80October 1, 2018 1:34 PM

[quote] Does [R75] understand the actor is not actually the character?

Of course I do, but I think they missed an opportunity to address a real issue in today's society and instead turned it into a cheap punch line

by Anonymousreply 81October 1, 2018 3:22 PM

Faith Ford needs a wig. Her hair is thinning badly.

Is Candice on prednisone? Her face is so puffy she can hardly speak. She's fat but not *that* fat.

by Anonymousreply 82October 1, 2018 3:33 PM

Bergen remains as personally political as she always has been. She fought Dan Quayle and his stupidity for fighting over a television character. This hearing will become epic with her.

by Anonymousreply 83October 1, 2018 3:53 PM

Perhaps it would be better to address that issue if they really need or want to in another way.

There an argument to be made that mirroring a real life suicide in that way is insensitive, if not making it a cheap punch line anyway.

by Anonymousreply 84October 1, 2018 6:15 PM

[quote]Of course everyone came back. Who's turning down $200,000 per episode?

Charles Kimbrough, apparently.

by Anonymousreply 85October 1, 2018 10:49 PM

Loved seeing Jake McDorman; and yes he is hot!

by Anonymousreply 86October 1, 2018 10:57 PM

R53, the entire Murphy Brown cast is not getting $200k per episode.

The cast of This is Us just renegotiated, and the principals are all getting $250k per episode — but that is a massive hit.

by Anonymousreply 87October 2, 2018 2:02 AM

Inside word is the network is already pulling the plug on this.

by Anonymousreply 88October 2, 2018 2:08 AM

R88, I don’t believe you have any inside word.

by Anonymousreply 89October 3, 2018 4:20 AM

Preachy Brown.

by Anonymousreply 90October 5, 2018 1:55 AM

Faith Ford wearing a wig?

by Anonymousreply 91October 5, 2018 1:57 AM

This show needs a spark plug. It is boring.

by Anonymousreply 92October 5, 2018 2:04 AM

Jake McDorman ("Avery") is the ONLY reason to watch this show.

by Anonymousreply 93October 5, 2018 2:06 AM

You could play that clip today, R79, with Dee Plorable in the place of Mrs. H.

by Anonymousreply 94October 5, 2018 2:11 AM

well, tonight's episode was better than last week's....that's not saying much.

by Anonymousreply 95October 5, 2018 2:42 AM

Everything besides Murphy's son and Tyne Daly seems so FORCED!!!

by Anonymousreply 96October 5, 2018 2:55 AM

I only saw the first episode, and I'm still not sure who is the worst actress, Candy or Hilly.

by Anonymousreply 97October 5, 2018 2:59 AM

Faith Ford is retweeting all the Murphy Brown butt kissers right now. I am afraid she will block me if I tell her how awful this new show is.

by Anonymousreply 98October 5, 2018 3:04 AM

Yikes that was bad.

I liked the first round a bit as a kid, but this is painfully bad.

by Anonymousreply 99October 5, 2018 3:06 AM

Murphy Brown was one of my favorite shows back in the day and that's why watching this so painful. It's beyond forced. The original actors are playing hollow versions of the characters (which really shouldn't be surprising after 20 years) and it all falls flat. It's clear given Candace's obvious cue card reading and the canned laughter that the are not filming these in front of a live studio audience and I'm wondering if to save time, they are going straight to film rather than doing the 4 days of rehearsals that the traditional 3 camera sitcoms usually have. The timing is off and the punchlines fall flat.

The new actors are good but that's only because we have nothing to measure them against.

They should have never done this reboot.

by Anonymousreply 100October 5, 2018 3:42 AM

Her son on the show is hot.

by Anonymousreply 101October 5, 2018 4:20 AM

There was no heart to the first two episodes. It felt like one-liner after one-liner, none of which were funny. The show was getting there tonight with the "sneak into the white house" - but really that should have been the entire show, not just a 4 minute gag leading to a hollow "heart to heart" with Avery. There's promise, but it's the like writers either don't know/care/understand the nuances of the old show and just want to beat viewers over the head with drivel.

by Anonymousreply 102October 5, 2018 4:37 AM

Only one thing left to save this show. Avery needs to take his shirt off.

by Anonymousreply 103October 5, 2018 1:34 PM

[quote] Only one thing left to save this show. Avery needs to take his shirt off.

We've already seen the goods

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104October 5, 2018 1:45 PM

R100, the show is indeed being filmed in front of a live and very responsive audience.

by Anonymousreply 105October 5, 2018 3:19 PM

R100 Actually R105 is right. Murphy Brown is indeed recorded in front of a live audienc . What has changed is the show is shot in New York now and not in LA, apparently most of the cast lives in NYC now and this was a better arrangement for them.

by Anonymousreply 106October 5, 2018 5:08 PM

At some points, especially the quieter, less showy moments, it sounds like the live audience reaction is punched up with canned laughter. The audio quality is noticeably different.

by Anonymousreply 107October 5, 2018 8:09 PM

R104 Who is that, sure isn't the actor playing Avery

by Anonymousreply 108October 5, 2018 11:59 PM

Someone is very interested in seeing this show be smeared - who could this be? Hmmm a fat fucking deplorable? A delusional Breitbart whore?

This show is excellent and is doing fine. You can move along now my little deplorable.

by Anonymousreply 109October 6, 2018 2:32 AM

I thought Candace Bergen looked great in the brown wig.

by Anonymousreply 110October 6, 2018 2:42 AM

I think most fans realize Bergen has lived in France for decades, remaining there after the death of her husband Louis Malle. Her French is flawless - as is Jane Fonda’s. That was a great joke for Murphy Brown. Must be a deplorable troll bad mouthing the show - Candace’s humor will wipe the floor with the entire bunch of immoral incompetents and Oligarch Shit for Brains has for Staff and Cabinet.

Her show will do very well and 60% of Americans will love the laughs at the criminal Drumps expense.

by Anonymousreply 111October 6, 2018 3:42 AM

I haven't watched the show, but just going by this scene, I kind of like it.

The shots of Huckabeast fit in perfectly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112October 6, 2018 3:47 AM

I finally watched it last night and found it funnier than I thought.. You had to be familiar with the old show, though. I enjoyed the political humor. I'll probably watch it again.

by Anonymousreply 113October 6, 2018 4:46 AM

Me, too. R110. She reminded me of my supervisor at work.

by Anonymousreply 114October 6, 2018 4:47 AM

R114 I AM Your Supervisor at work - and we are totally tired of all this deplorable shit.

by Anonymousreply 115October 6, 2018 5:00 AM

Weird audience reaction when we first see Huckasanders, as if we were being led to believe she was actually there.

I’ve lost all sense of humor when it comes to that lying cunt, so the scene kind of fell flat for me.

The Latino bar employee is a bit too similar (in dramatic purpose) to the Indian tech guy. Get rid of one or, better yet, both. I can’t see the bar guy actor being able to hold up to Tyne Daly.

by Anonymousreply 116October 6, 2018 1:39 PM

The fake laugh track turned me off within a few minutes, it's confusing, because whatever the "audience" was in hysterics over really wasn't funny. When Hillary wobbled out I turned it off. If she fell and Murphy had to catch her and shove her off into her van, now that would have been funny. More propaganda. I'm tired of politics being shoved down my throat. You lost, go away.

by Anonymousreply 117October 6, 2018 2:18 PM

r117 What an idiotic comment, it is a politically interested show, of course it is political.

by Anonymousreply 118October 6, 2018 2:26 PM

R28 It should never be forgotten that Powell is a war criminal.

by Anonymousreply 119October 6, 2018 2:40 PM

Corky and Miles need to stop laughing at unfunny things that are said

by Anonymousreply 120October 6, 2018 8:36 PM

I watched and yes it was awful. The biggest problem is Brown herself. She just can't act any more and looks frumpy and unwell. But I do think she could have worked in a supporting role. A mire interesting angle cold have been if her son became a reporter off her name and was entitled and politically fluid, creating some sort of tension between them. A clash of the old guard/new guard approach to political reporting and being in the public eye.

by Anonymousreply 121October 6, 2018 9:02 PM

Yes, that would have been a much better show.

by Anonymousreply 122October 6, 2018 10:40 PM

I think the political stuff dates almost immediately, so the press conference seemed so out of touch.

If Brown wants to accuse Huckabee of lying, it should be over a specific issue or story and not just in general.

It was kind of embarrassing.

by Anonymousreply 123October 7, 2018 12:33 AM

The laughs just never start coming.

by Anonymousreply 124October 7, 2018 12:38 AM

They could have given Jake a conservative wife who could have battled with Murphy. Hijinks ensue.

by Anonymousreply 125October 7, 2018 12:42 AM

Whoops, I meant Avery, not his biological father.

by Anonymousreply 126October 7, 2018 12:43 AM

It is not funny... Faith Ford is the worst, Grant Shaud's not much better, Candace delivers like she's short of breath (but she always did.). The secretary was funny. The guy playing the son is quite natural and likeable. Tyne Daley is good too. They will let it air of courtesy but it really isn't funny, it's just heavy handed. The tone of the writing is stuck in the 80s.

by Anonymousreply 127October 7, 2018 12:52 AM

I want more Tyne. I have loved that actress in everything she's ever been in. IMO, the problem seems to be they are just saying lines. None of them, from the original show, have found their way back into character yet. Still, I will be watching and supporting that show. They are on the right side of history.

by Anonymousreply 128October 7, 2018 1:09 AM

Can someone remind me why Julia Roberts did 2 episodes of this show in 1998? Was she fucking someone in the crew? And don’t give me no bullshit like she believed in the show’s message or something.

by Anonymousreply 129October 7, 2018 1:26 PM

Tyne Daley needs a show.

by Anonymousreply 130October 7, 2018 3:38 PM

r129 It was stunt-casting for the final episodes. George Clooney, Bette Midler, Candy's mom, and Mike Wallace were also guests.

by Anonymousreply 131October 7, 2018 4:53 PM

how are ratings for 2nd ep?

by Anonymousreply 132October 7, 2018 5:27 PM

CBS' Murphy Brown was fairly steady at 1.0 and 7.17 million viewers vs. 1.1 and 7.5 million last week.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133October 7, 2018 5:29 PM

Out of touch, R123? That stuff still happens every few weeks.

by Anonymousreply 134October 7, 2018 6:08 PM

R123 = SHS, worth ignoring for her usual nonsensical spinning.

by Anonymousreply 135October 7, 2018 6:12 PM

Am I the only one who finds Grant Shaud to be a hot daddy?

by Anonymousreply 136October 7, 2018 11:06 PM

No, R136, I said further up the thread that I'd happily fuck him.

by Anonymousreply 137October 7, 2018 11:59 PM

Grant Shaun is not a hot daddy. He’s a fat fucking mess.

by Anonymousreply 138October 8, 2018 4:03 AM

This show would have been so much better if they had made Murphy Brown come back to a show like The View it The Talk, and framed it around the sad state of “news” now.. almost like Lisa Kudrow in The Comeback. And riffing on Barbara Walters. Im sure you could shoehorn in the lame Avery foxnews plot line in, and find roles for the others.

Watching this show made me realize how talented the cast of Will and Grace are, and how much better the writing is. This show can go away.

by Anonymousreply 139October 8, 2018 4:14 AM

I am enjoying the show. Of those who I know watch, 80% are really enjoying the show and the other 20% think it is ok.

by Anonymousreply 140October 8, 2018 4:20 AM

Horrible. The second episode was worse than the pilot. The Audio mixing of the opening scene was really off, and it was SO apparent they were using a laugh track instead of an audience. There are so many other shows doing Trump outrage way better than this mess.

by Anonymousreply 141October 8, 2018 5:00 AM

The laugh track alone makes it unwatchable.

by Anonymousreply 142October 8, 2018 9:49 PM

I'm the premier! Murphy Brown is on tonight?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143October 8, 2018 9:57 PM

It's weird, someone is really complaining a lot about the show. If you don't like it, change the channel.

by Anonymousreply 144October 8, 2018 10:13 PM

DONE R144

by Anonymousreply 145October 9, 2018 12:28 AM

You can't hate anything that stars Tyne Daly.

I think you get your gay card revoked for that.

by Anonymousreply 146October 9, 2018 12:30 AM

Bergen's too fat. So is Grant Shaud.

by Anonymousreply 147October 9, 2018 2:48 AM

Show is still watchable. I liked it enough. Bergen looked better last episode. I would watch Grant on Nick at Nite or wherever those MB episodes aired and had a mad crush on him.

by Anonymousreply 148October 9, 2018 3:23 AM

Tyne Daly has had the only line that made me laugh: the one about the ketchup bottles. Otherwise, I’m only watching it for the hot boy.

by Anonymousreply 149October 9, 2018 4:08 AM

I'm enjoying the reboot, but:

-The secretaries have to get funnier/quirkier.

-Not liking TD in this at all, she's a great actress but not suited to her current role. Maybe they could've found a twin brother of Phil, same mold so to speak.

-Bergen's tender/maudlin moments go on far too long.

-As was said above, the IT guy has to go, and the personality on the bar helper is too weak.

-Murphy and the son's shows going head-to-head doesn't add anything to the plot.

-The Jim Dial(sp?) character should've been included, the stuffed shirt vibe is necessary.

-Of the 4 principals, Bergen's character is the weakest. Faith Ford, Joe Regalbuto and Grant Shaud have done an amazing recapturing of their characters. Bergen needs a coach, a good talking-to, should view old episodes, SOMEthing to get Murphy's spark back.

-Bergen's lines seem to be delivered slowly. Does she have a breathing problem, or did TPTB think this added something important?

I'll continue to watch, but I want the show to improve.

by Anonymousreply 150October 9, 2018 11:01 AM

[quote]The Jim Dial(sp?) character should've been included, the stuffed shirt vibe is necessary.

I think I read that Charles Kimbrough declined to return, though I could be wrong about that.

by Anonymousreply 151October 10, 2018 3:05 AM

He is going to come back for 3 episodes.

by Anonymousreply 152October 10, 2018 3:08 AM

They better vary their scripts a little. People don't like the be lectured to about what to think and believe.

by Anonymousreply 153October 10, 2018 3:09 AM

r153 Ummmm they don't? Fox News does quite well doing that very thing. That Tim Allen show did well doing that very thing.

by Anonymousreply 154October 10, 2018 3:10 AM

The laugh track in a sitcom in 2018 makes it instantly anachronistic. It really bugs the crap out of me on W&G.

Also, this is very much true:

[quote] I think the political stuff dates almost immediately, so the press conference seemed so out of touch.

In fact, the whole concept of political journalism, particularly of the television variety, has been so altered in the past 25-30 years to the point that it's almost dead now.

by Anonymousreply 155October 10, 2018 3:15 AM

Nah, Murphy could be on a Rachel Maddow type show. Those are popular.

by Anonymousreply 156October 10, 2018 3:17 AM

It's terrible. which makes me sad, because I loved the old MB series.

by Anonymousreply 157October 10, 2018 3:50 AM

Candice sounds like old Carrie Fisher now.

by Anonymousreply 158October 10, 2018 4:15 AM

Sweet jaded darlings, the show does not use a laugh track. It is shot in front of an overly enthusiastic audience.

by Anonymousreply 159October 11, 2018 8:20 PM

Grant Shaun is 3000 decibels/meters way over the top. All the other characters are only 1000.

Sorry.

It’s not working

by Anonymousreply 160October 11, 2018 8:31 PM

r160 His name is SHAUD.

by Anonymousreply 161October 12, 2018 1:20 AM

R161 And don't you forget it.

by Anonymousreply 162October 12, 2018 1:21 AM

OMG tonight's episode was just dreadful...the whole thing feels like it's on life support. Zero energy.

by Anonymousreply 163October 12, 2018 3:09 AM

They need to include a holograph of Eldin in all of the home scenes. Just recycle his dialogue and edit out any references he may have made about Dan Quayle. Instant hit!

by Anonymousreply 164October 12, 2018 3:27 AM

It really is bad., no way will there be a S2. On a side note: Murphy is right, Bed Bath & Beyond coupons never expire, I have tons of them will kinds of old exp dates and they always take them.

by Anonymousreply 165October 12, 2018 3:31 AM

Tonight was the first episode I felt was flat and had no energy. I agree, it won't get a S2 unless the ratings are decent. Are they? CBS could give it another limited run if the ratings are anywhere near ok.

by Anonymousreply 166October 12, 2018 3:33 AM

re most recent ratings see R133... generally stable since it's opening numbers.

by Anonymousreply 167October 12, 2018 3:37 AM

Those are great numbers at R133 for a network show in 2018. The era of the big three networks dominating the ratings is long gone.

by Anonymousreply 168October 12, 2018 3:42 AM

The creative team hasn't yet decided if Avery is straight or gay. If they had, Murphy wouldn't have referred to "situations" or Avery to "anyone". Wishful thinking, I know.

by Anonymousreply 169October 12, 2018 3:44 AM

Worse case they could always try to move S2 to their paid OTT platform and let her really say what she thinks about the current administration, now that they have paid for some of the fixed costs (sets music graphics etc).

The Good Fight did some stuff that wouldn’t pass on broadcast.

by Anonymousreply 170October 12, 2018 4:32 AM

The only good part is the hot son.

by Anonymousreply 171October 12, 2018 5:08 AM

Grant Shaud is no Lee Grant.

by Anonymousreply 172October 12, 2018 10:20 AM

Grabt Shaud is no Grant Show.

by Anonymousreply 173October 12, 2018 12:19 PM

Miles is hilarious. The son is sex on a plate... HOT. I will keep watching.

by Anonymousreply 174October 12, 2018 12:43 PM

This week's episode was absolutely terrible. It was trying to be a "very special episode" but fell so flat. The writing was terrible, the acting (with exception of Tyne Daly) was terrible ugh! By far the worst episode of the season so far.

by Anonymousreply 175October 12, 2018 1:39 PM

It didn't feel like a "very special episode" to me. I just felt like it was dealing with something current, just as the last two episodes did, and the whole series that came before.

by Anonymousreply 176October 12, 2018 7:43 PM

I love Murphy Brown and it's great feel good entertainment. I love Murphy confronting her professor and her comment that she became a big success in spite of him.

Jake McDorman looked so fucking hot in episode two and he wasn't even shirtless.

by Anonymousreply 177October 12, 2018 7:57 PM

Ridiculous plot point that this professor would be so obsessed with Murphy that he would have a shrine to her and an award of hers out front that she could break into and steal so easily.

Also Murphy just showing up announced at his house and the intern just letting her in without checking.

Just poorly done in every respect.

by Anonymousreply 178October 12, 2018 8:06 PM

R177 Jake McDorman is really the only reason to watch this show.

by Anonymousreply 179October 12, 2018 8:07 PM

I really wanted to like this and I hate to say it but it is just bad. It's trying too hard to capture what the original series run had but it's missing the mark. The original run skewered the right and was brilliant about it, but now it feels like every episode has been written by a talentless SJW who has never seen an episode of the original series.

by Anonymousreply 180October 13, 2018 1:29 PM

After more than 20 years off the air, "Murphy Brown" has had to justify its rebooted existence in 2018:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181October 13, 2018 3:05 PM

I wish it was better too, but I will watch as long as it's on the air. I do love Tyne and I'm happy to see her again.

by Anonymousreply 182October 13, 2018 3:33 PM

It has an old school, comfort sitcom feel to it which I think is a funny contrast of the show dealing with the modern day political, and social media, climate. It's a relatable struggle for me and makes the show quite entertaining.

by Anonymousreply 183October 13, 2018 5:35 PM

I actually liked this week's episode far better than the first two.

by Anonymousreply 184October 14, 2018 3:36 PM

Murphy needs a wacky housekeeper.

by Anonymousreply 185October 14, 2018 4:39 PM

Murphy needs the actors to find their way back to their characters. It rings false, still. I think they need to give them more rehearsal time or something. I think they'll get there but they are not there yet.

by Anonymousreply 186October 14, 2018 6:45 PM

Jim returns tonight.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 187October 19, 2018 12:44 AM

I'm recording. I will watch this show as long as it's on the air.

by Anonymousreply 188October 19, 2018 12:51 AM

[quote] Bergen remains as personally political as she always has been. She fought Dan Quayle and his stupidity for fighting over a television character.

And ten years afterward admitted he was correct all along.

Now she tells us. Ten years ago, when then-Vice President Dan Quayle notoriously criticized Candice Bergen’s Murphy Brown character for ”mocking the importance of fathers by bearing a child alone and calling it just another ‘lifestyle choice,”’ the actress had little to say about the matter, even as others argued over whether the popular ”Murphy Brown” sitcom was really setting a bad example or whether Quayle was just trying to make hay during an election year by criticizing the entertainment industry. Yesterday, however, Bergen told a gathering of TV critics that Quayle had a point.

Bergen was attending the annual summer critics’ confab in Pasadena to promote her new Oxygen series, ”Candice Checks It Out,” in which she interviews non-celebrities on their own turf, but what reporters really wanted to check out were her thoughts on the decade-old Quayle quote. ”I never have really said much about the whole episode, which was endless,” the Associated Press quotes her as saying. ”But his speech was a perfectly intelligent speech about fathers not being dispensable and nobody agreed with that more than I did.”

by Anonymousreply 189October 19, 2018 1:42 AM

She's an idiot, in other words.

by Anonymousreply 190October 19, 2018 1:55 AM

THIS is the best episode to air so far!!!

(Jake is wearing shorts!)

by Anonymousreply 191October 19, 2018 2:07 AM

[quote] She's an idiot, in other words.

How so? You can disagree with her, but what's idiotic about her opinion that fathers are just as important.

by Anonymousreply 192October 19, 2018 2:15 AM

Best episode yet. Tonight for the first time it felt like the old days. The actors seem to have found their characters again. Tonight the all connected to MB should feel proud of what they put out there.

by Anonymousreply 193October 19, 2018 2:30 AM

Tyne Daly is the best thing on this show.

Smug and self serving yet sluggish Murphy needs to lay down and take a nap. She looks half asleep in her scenes.

by Anonymousreply 194October 19, 2018 2:42 AM

Finally! Tonight's episode was a vast improvement over the previous three. It was wonderful seeing Jim again!

by Anonymousreply 195October 19, 2018 3:53 AM

Corky and Frank are like Murphy's mouthpieces. They just agree with about everything she says. And if they were all pretty much equals on FYI why is their show called "Murphy In The Morning"?

by Anonymousreply 196October 19, 2018 4:09 AM

And how was his lovely wife?

by Anonymousreply 197October 19, 2018 4:20 AM

Last night's episode was the best of the season so far! I actually laughed at a few of the lines. Having Charles Kimbrough back as Jim Dial was fantastic and funny enough he seemed to be the only actor who didn't struggle getting back in to character. From the second he opened his mouth you knew he was Jim Dial.

by Anonymousreply 198October 19, 2018 3:18 PM

Jim Dial's return seemed wasted. It was essentially a cameo. Jim had no impact on the overall plot.

by Anonymousreply 199October 19, 2018 3:19 PM

Did you see the way the actor moved. I think he's not well physically and couldn't do more than he did. Even with that IA that he immediately fell back into the Jim we love. Tyne was wonderful as always. All in all a very good episode. CB seemed more alive and more Murphy and I was a happy viewer.

by Anonymousreply 200October 19, 2018 4:12 PM

The first two were wobbly, but this one and last week's MeToo episode were very good.

I teared up a little when Jim came into Phil's, I admit it.

by Anonymousreply 201October 19, 2018 4:16 PM

Anybody know why Pat Corley left the show in 96? Seemed like a good gig to be able to do a few one liners and get a nice steady check.

We learned later that Phil pulled a Stanley Walker and faked his death because he knew too much about Whitewater.

He came back when MB was battling breast cancer.

by Anonymousreply 202October 19, 2018 4:56 PM

R202 At the time it was stated he was leaving to pursue other opportunities. However, I think his health may have been declining.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 203October 19, 2018 5:17 PM

Thanks, R203.

It seemed weird that anybody would give up a good weekly check like that. Your theory makes more sense.

by Anonymousreply 204October 19, 2018 5:20 PM

Was the old show always THIS political, ripped from the headlines? Wasn’t it ever character driven?

by Anonymousreply 205October 19, 2018 10:07 PM

It was always politically driven r205, but did far better with character development than they're doing right now. The problem is that the new cycle moves so fast that an episode lambasting Steve Bannon already feels dated and stale.

by Anonymousreply 206October 20, 2018 1:26 AM

R192 = breeder.

by Anonymousreply 207October 20, 2018 2:28 AM

I guess Murphy dressing up for work is a thing of the past.

by Anonymousreply 208October 20, 2018 2:38 AM

[quote][R192] = breeder.

That's all you got? Laughable...

by Anonymousreply 209October 20, 2018 2:42 AM

They should get Sharon Gless to do a cameo.

by Anonymousreply 210October 20, 2018 2:59 AM

Corky got so watered down after she married Will.

by Anonymousreply 211October 20, 2018 3:05 AM

Loving Tyne Daly.

LOVE THAT BITCH!

by Anonymousreply 212October 21, 2018 8:42 PM

[quote]Corky got so watered down after she married Will.

Who was Will?

by Anonymousreply 213October 21, 2018 8:47 PM

R213 Will Forrest. After Corky married him, she became Corky Sherwood Forrest.

by Anonymousreply 214October 22, 2018 2:34 AM

Are they going to bring back Christopher Rich as Miller Redfield?

by Anonymousreply 215October 22, 2018 2:34 AM

GUEST STARS:

Nov 1st: Peter Gallagher Nov 8th: Bette Midler, John Laroquette and Charles Kimbrough again Nov 15th: Brooke Shields

by Anonymousreply 216October 23, 2018 4:47 PM

Relying on guest stars now. So Will & Grace. Yawn.

by Anonymousreply 217October 23, 2018 4:51 PM

Yes, r217. Because Will and Grace was the very first comedy series to rely on guest stars.

by Anonymousreply 218October 23, 2018 5:08 PM

He didn't say they were the first. He said "yawn". And I agree with that.

by Anonymousreply 219October 23, 2018 5:11 PM

And I hated the entire Lucy in Hollywood stories because it was so much about the guest stars who, btw, were all plugging away at various shit they had coming out at that time. Those are my least favorite ILL episodes and I don't like it any better on W&G or Murphy. I don't consider Jim a guest star. He will always be a regular cast member to me, who sadly isn't well enough to be there too often these days. Jim made the show finally feel right the second he came into the scene.

by Anonymousreply 220October 23, 2018 8:24 PM

Doris Dial is dead, where is the tribute episode?

by Anonymousreply 221October 24, 2018 12:00 AM

I love Jake McDorman who plays the son!

by Anonymousreply 222October 26, 2018 8:36 AM

I have turned into a regular watcher. Tonight's episode wasn't half bad. The jokes and character interactions don't seem as painful, and perhaps I've settled into an acceptance of Candace's post-stroke line readings. The main joke the episode is founded on was profoundly obvious from the get-go, but I enjoyed it anyway.

And yes, there's Jake, whose dong I could not stop thinking about. They need to put him in two-shots with someone who's not his mother, preferably a boyfriend.

by Anonymousreply 223October 26, 2018 10:14 AM

This week's episode was so-so, but it does feel like the actors have found their characters again after a rough start. Jake McDorman is a great addition to the show and so is Tyne but I feel bother are under utilized.

by Anonymousreply 224October 26, 2018 1:03 PM

Based on reviews of the last two episodes, perhaps "Murphy" is finally beginning to find its footing. That's good.

[quote]And I hated the entire Lucy in Hollywood stories because it was so much about the guest stars who, btw, were all plugging away at various shit they had coming out at that time. Those are my least favorite ILL episodes

I totally agree. Not to turn this into an ILL thread but I realized years ago that I liked the show best from the very beginning right up until the episode when Ricky tells Lucy he's "expecting a phone call today" from Hollywood. That to me was ILL's jump-the-shark moment because from that point forward, the show basically became a travelogue because they were always going somewhere. First it was Hollywood, then Europe, then Florida, then they moved to the country, and then the show was over. And Lucy's insistence on bringing on all of her Hollywood friends as guest stars was also annoying (a trend she continued straight through her two follow-up series, "The Lucy Show" and "Here's Lucy") and, for the record, I fucking hated the John Wayne episode. The absolute worst of the series in my opinion.

by Anonymousreply 225October 27, 2018 2:03 PM

Great points R225. I knew I didn't like ILL as much from that point on but I didn't think it through. You're right. It wasn't just about Hollywood. It changed the entire show and it did become about them traveling. The country home 1 hour episodes were all about which guest star was going to be on that week. Even when I was young after the first go round I always stopped watching the reruns when Ricky got that phone call. It seems most shows jump the shark when the show depends on guest stars, not so much drama shows like the Law and Orders but for sure comedy shows.

by Anonymousreply 226October 27, 2018 2:31 PM

Next week's show is about the coverage of the midterm elections.

by Anonymousreply 227October 27, 2018 5:45 PM

Why are all of the characters besides Murphy childless?

by Anonymousreply 228October 27, 2018 6:58 PM

What the fuck was that jacket Murphy wearing in the beginning? In place of buttons, it had ribbons coming out of little black square things. It had little tassels at the hem. It had a black strip where the sleeve meets the body. It had a large flap on the front pocket. The fabric looks like it was ripped from the racing flag at the Gay Games. Any ONE of these would have ruined a jacket. She had them ALL.

by Anonymousreply 229October 27, 2018 8:30 PM

R228 I'm wondering that too, and correct me if I'm wrong by weren't Corky and Miles married in the later seasons? There hasn't been a single mention of that so far.

by Anonymousreply 230October 28, 2018 4:59 PM

Corky and Miles’ wedding is equivalent to Dan Conner’s death on Roseanne. They’d prefer you to forget all about it.

by Anonymousreply 231October 28, 2018 6:33 PM

Corky and Miles got married, but Miles left her and his job, which is where Lily Tomlin's character came in.

That was Corky's second marriage. The first was to some guy with a last name of Forest. Corky's last name is Sherwood.

by Anonymousreply 232October 28, 2018 6:42 PM

r234 see r214

by Anonymousreply 233October 28, 2018 11:02 PM

So did Corky Sherwood become Corky Sherwood Forest?

I vouch for r233's clairvoyance

by Anonymousreply 234October 28, 2018 11:04 PM

[quote]I vouch for [R233]'s clairvoyance

LOL!

by Anonymousreply 235October 28, 2018 11:13 PM

Yes, r234. Corky Sherwood married Will Forrest. She was then known as Corky Sherwood Forrest.

Be sure and alert r233, so he can alert the rest of Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 236October 29, 2018 4:17 AM

I like the travel epsidodes and the guest star ones too, but not the hour long ones except Tallulah's.

by Anonymousreply 237November 1, 2018 6:49 AM

When I Love Lucy did the Hollywood season and got big movie stars to do guest spots, it was a BIG DEAL.

Movie stars didn't appear on TV show in 1955. A few might appear on a talk show or a variety show, but certainly not a situation comedy. These stars made appearances on ILL as favors to Lucy. And of course, it was ratings gold for them.

And it also started the practice of shows doing stunt casting of big stars for an episode. A practice Lucy put to good use on The Lucy Show and Here's Lucy.

by Anonymousreply 238November 1, 2018 7:56 AM

Take Lucy to a Lucy thread, guys. Jeez.

by Anonymousreply 239November 1, 2018 9:42 AM

Grant Shaud is a truly wretched actor, and the other supporting actors from the original cast are not much better. The three new additions (Tyne, Jake, Nic) are fairly delightful.

by Anonymousreply 240November 1, 2018 11:16 AM

Tyne Daly, Jake McDorman and Nick Dodani are so much better than those three muppets (Ford, Regalbuto and Shaud) from the original series.

by Anonymousreply 241November 1, 2018 1:44 PM

So heavyhanded and unfunny now. But Tyne’s Hispanic employee is yummy.

by Anonymousreply 242November 2, 2018 1:56 AM

Holy shit. What did Bette Midler do to her face? I thought she had more sense than to go down that road.

by Anonymousreply 243November 2, 2018 2:00 AM

One of the politicians they mentioned tonight as a candidate died weeks ago, Dennis Hof, the brothel owner. Oooooopsy! But Jesus, the show was so unfunny. And so fucking stupid.

by Anonymousreply 244November 2, 2018 2:02 AM

I heard on the news he's still on the ballot, R244.

by Anonymousreply 245November 2, 2018 2:09 AM

The FOX news parody tonight was spot on with Peter Gallagher playing Hannity and the idiot wide eyed female sidekick

by Anonymousreply 246November 2, 2018 2:12 AM

Last night's episode of MB was the first time in all the reboots, W&G, The Conners and every previous episode of MB that I actually laughed, not only laughed but so hard I was coughing. It was when Tyne Daly walked in front of the cameras when they were on the air offering her turkey or tuna sandwiches. Her timing and delivery impeccable. I could not believe something on one of these reboots was actually funny. Tyne needs more to do on the show. She is one of those who is as good in comedy as she is in drama and if anyone saw her as Mama Rose she can sing with the best of them. Not that I want her or anyone to sing on MB.

I have to say the ending, about living with the next 2 years gave me chills. I'm terrified about what will happen on Tuesday. I wish we could depend on Democrats the way the right can depend on their demon Republicans. One thing MB had 100% was the very last thing, VOTE!

by Anonymousreply 247November 2, 2018 5:56 PM

R247 Tyne is really the only funny one on the show.

by Anonymousreply 248November 2, 2018 6:00 PM

Agree, totally, R248. She was also the best thing on Judging Amy and Cagney and Lacey.

by Anonymousreply 249November 2, 2018 6:04 PM

Tyne has such a wonderful timing and makes these average unfunny lines into pure gold. She wipes the floor with the entire cast in her two minutes of screentime.

by Anonymousreply 250November 2, 2018 9:29 PM

Exactly R250! Well said!

by Anonymousreply 251November 2, 2018 10:12 PM

So apparently Avery is the “Millennial Anderson Cooper”? Writers are really teasing us...

by Anonymousreply 252November 3, 2018 10:29 AM

Avery is gay. There won't be a coming out episode because he's already out. Just not to us.

by Anonymousreply 253November 3, 2018 1:09 PM

Tyne Daly looks great -- some of these other folks need to use her plastic surgeon.

by Anonymousreply 254November 3, 2018 2:21 PM

She and Tim must go to the same one. He's 62 and looks 42.

by Anonymousreply 255November 3, 2018 2:22 PM

Tyne also lost just the right amount of weight. She stopped before it made her face look old. She always had great legs, even when she was heavy.

by Anonymousreply 256November 3, 2018 3:06 PM

Looks like we're getting a gay storyline on Murphy Brown. But why is Miles acting like these are still 80's? Who writes these terrible jokes? Being gay is not that interesting or new now in 2018.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 257November 7, 2018 5:11 PM

Is it Miles who comes out?

by Anonymousreply 258November 7, 2018 5:57 PM

No, Miles finds out that their colleague Pat (played by Nick Dodani) is gay.

by Anonymousreply 259November 7, 2018 8:43 PM

It’s almost like they’re making a time capsule show where the legacy characters have not changed much (a la 70s Show perhaps) but using current events kills it. Can’t have both.

by Anonymousreply 260November 7, 2018 8:49 PM

I figured if they were going to make one of the new characters gay, it would be Dodani's and not Avery.

by Anonymousreply 261November 8, 2018 12:14 PM

I'm very pissed about it because they should have made Avery gay :(

by Anonymousreply 262November 8, 2018 12:40 PM

r262 I agree. Or at least Tyne's assistant. Missed opportunity. Who cares about the Kornacki wannabe. Kornacki's geekiness is hot (THREE mic packs framing that sweet ass), Dodani's is annoying.

by Anonymousreply 263November 8, 2018 4:26 PM

[quote]I heard on the news he's still on the ballot, [R244].

Not only still on the ballot, but he won! Leave it to Nevada to elect a dead pimp.

by Anonymousreply 264November 8, 2018 4:51 PM

Ya IMO no son of Murphy Brown would turn out straight.

by Anonymousreply 265November 8, 2018 5:51 PM

I don't believe people "become" gay because of who or what their parents are. I believe they are born that way. There is no reason Murphy's son would be gay more or less than anyone's son.

by Anonymousreply 266November 8, 2018 5:56 PM

Avery likes girls.

by Anonymousreply 267November 9, 2018 1:42 AM

Bette Midler is back.

by Anonymousreply 268November 9, 2018 2:55 AM

Joey likes blue.

by Anonymousreply 269November 9, 2018 5:43 AM

Nice to see Nik Dodani finally being able to play a gay character. Plus he got to make out with hottie Isaac Cole Powell.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 270November 9, 2018 5:51 AM

Perhaps they didn't want Avery to be gay because he's the draw for young female viewers? I'm just guessing.

by Anonymousreply 271November 9, 2018 1:03 PM

Murphy's slacks were flirting with camel toe last night. I had to turn it off.

by Anonymousreply 272November 9, 2018 1:14 PM

Well they had a gay makeout scene.

by Anonymousreply 273November 9, 2018 1:31 PM

I was just looking at the renew/cancel index and it would seem this show may not get another season.

by Anonymousreply 274November 9, 2018 1:42 PM

R274, link.

by Anonymousreply 275November 9, 2018 1:52 PM

I'm liking the reboot and have liked most of the episodes (the first two were a little rough but it feels like it found its groove).

Miles' reaction was a little weird last night, though. I mean, Miles is Miles so I kinda get it but still....it's 2018 and he's in entertainment.

MB always had guest stars but I think they do it with a light touch. Back in the day what they did last night would have had 20 guest stars; you can see the budget is lower now, but having Katie there made sense, and was a nice circle back since Katie had also been on the earlier run.

And I am enjoying Pat Patel. I didn't think I would, I was worried he'd be a millennial cliche, but he was funny on the election night episode and great last night. Tyne is also great to watch - underused, but she's there to come in, do her moment and get out of the sunlight, I suppose. If they had any sense, they'd somehow shoehorn Sharon Gless into a cameo. One where they walk down the street with the C&L theme music, LOL.

by Anonymousreply 276November 9, 2018 2:02 PM

[quote] I was just looking at the renew/cancel index and it would seem this show may not get another season.

I kinda had the same feeling, and they implied even from the start it might only be a one season run. Usually by now, the network has announced next season renewal.

I'll be bummed but not surprised.

by Anonymousreply 277November 9, 2018 2:04 PM

Frances Bergen (Candy's mom) remained stunningly beautiful until the day she died at age 84. She had work done, but it was better than her daughter's. I guess one of the keys was she remained elegantly slim her whole life. I think once you get heavy, it's nearly impossible to get back and stay back. Edgar picked a winner.

by Anonymousreply 278November 9, 2018 2:10 PM

The Lucy in Hollywood episodes were amazing. I think they may be the reason I live in Hollywood now! Also, there are many classic episodes from the car ride there.

The big window with the view of the Hollywood sign was endlessly interesting to me as a kid.

by Anonymousreply 279November 9, 2018 2:19 PM

Too bad they tied Tyne Daly's expanded presence on the show to Jim Dial, since Charles Kimbrough looks like he's about to drop dead. I mean, who wouldn't, after getting your neck cut off and your head put back on without it.

by Anonymousreply 280November 9, 2018 6:12 PM

I have a feeling

*spoiler*

Well, not a spoiler but a feeling that Jim Dial will die in the finale.

by Anonymousreply 281November 9, 2018 9:11 PM

Here ya go, R275.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 282November 9, 2018 9:28 PM

r278 delusional and sad

by Anonymousreply 283November 10, 2018 12:16 AM

I found the gay makeout scene quite hot for a sitcom.

by Anonymousreply 284November 10, 2018 1:18 AM

I'm glad to see who the gay character is, now I have to go back and watch the first six episodes for any clues along the way

by Anonymousreply 285November 10, 2018 2:23 AM

R285, he presented hole in the third episode.

by Anonymousreply 286November 10, 2018 2:27 AM

Pat and Jack (and Miles)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 287November 10, 2018 2:42 AM

Did Grant Shaud and Faith Ford have a falling out during the run of the original show?

Their characters were married!

But in the reboot, they've had maybe 30 seconds of speaking time together, and almost never interact.

by Anonymousreply 288November 10, 2018 1:11 PM

They had a falling out during a Christmas potluck when each tried to outdo the other by showing up with the biggest HAM.

by Anonymousreply 289November 10, 2018 1:18 PM

This show is largely awful, but I have to say that make-out scene was pretty damn hot for CBS. Network gay kisses rarely go beyond chaste little pecks. Those boys were seriously, sensually kissing. Good for them.

by Anonymousreply 290November 10, 2018 11:10 PM

Link at r287 has a cute little outtake of the boys facing the camera

by Anonymousreply 291November 11, 2018 1:47 AM

Joe Regalbuto is an ass.

by Anonymousreply 292November 11, 2018 4:04 AM

I have been enjoying the show, but of course anyone over 40 may as well be dead on TV.

And the kiss was fucking hot.

by Anonymousreply 293November 11, 2018 5:09 PM

The should have made Murphy the head of a news organization or on a View type show. The sets are also depression and claustrophobic.

by Anonymousreply 294November 11, 2018 11:21 PM

*depressing

by Anonymousreply 295November 11, 2018 11:22 PM

Avery's network is aiming for the gay demo with his promo.

by Anonymousreply 296November 16, 2018 1:38 AM

THAT was a fantastic episode. Not a dud in there at all.

"Kavanaugh corner" made me howl.

by Anonymousreply 297November 16, 2018 2:11 AM

Who was playing her secretary?

by Anonymousreply 298November 16, 2018 2:23 AM

Hello [R298], it was Joanna P. Adler - she was on Orange Is the New Black, Devious Maids, American Crime Story: Versace (played Andrew Cunanan's mom).

by Anonymousreply 299November 17, 2018 8:58 AM

I kept looking at Avery’s crotch.

by Anonymousreply 300November 17, 2018 9:01 AM

r300 = Why "gay" is not the same as "LGBT"

by Anonymousreply 301November 17, 2018 9:03 AM

[quote]I don't believe people "become" gay because of who or what their parents are. I believe they are born that way. There is no reason Murphy's son would be gay more or less than anyone's son.

This is Datalounge. The fact that he’s hot is reason enough. Logic don't live here anymorrrre.

by Anonymousreply 302November 17, 2018 9:45 AM

I’d certainly pinch Jake McDorman’s buttocks!

by Anonymousreply 303November 17, 2018 9:59 AM

r300

I bet it "smells funny down there."

by Anonymousreply 304November 17, 2018 10:19 AM

r281 But we won't know it for at least six months.

by Anonymousreply 305November 17, 2018 10:21 AM

The reboot is unwatchable. I removed it from my DVR schedule before the first episode had even ended.

by Anonymousreply 306November 17, 2018 12:47 PM

The reboot is fine.

by Anonymousreply 307November 17, 2018 12:48 PM

Reboot took a few episodes to find its footing. Past several episodes have been quite good.

by Anonymousreply 308November 17, 2018 1:13 PM

No they aren’t.

by Anonymousreply 309November 17, 2018 1:28 PM

Oh, but they ARE.

Loved this past episode with Brooke Shields.

by Anonymousreply 310November 17, 2018 1:34 PM

The reboot proves you can never go home again.

by Anonymousreply 311November 17, 2018 2:03 PM

I'm happy with the past few episodes. It seems from the one about the election the writers and actors found their footing again. I look forward to seeing it every Thursday and next Thursday it's the only show on channel 2, 4, and 7 that will have a first run episode. No not being on because it's Thanksgiving crap for MB. Kudos!!

I got some chuckles out of the last episode. Too little Tyne, but still really good.

by Anonymousreply 312November 17, 2018 2:16 PM

I thought from the MeToo ep forward it's been really good. It just took a while to hit the rhythms.

The biggest difference/adjustment is that Murphy is an older, wiser version of herself. When they let her cunt out, as they did in the last episode, without being so righteous (as she was in the pretend Steve Bannon one) it works best. Murphy was unique in her day but with a whole bunch of unlikeable leads like Gregory House, etc. they need to just let her be confident and right about her instincts and let it fly.

by Anonymousreply 313November 19, 2018 1:12 AM

[quote] channel 2, 4, and 7

What's a channel?

by Anonymousreply 314November 19, 2018 1:13 AM

They need to drop the supporting actors from the original cast. Dead weight.

by Anonymousreply 315November 19, 2018 1:15 AM

The latest bad secretary/Morning Punctuationesse was funny. Ditto all the references to Avery’s promo targetting young women and gay men. Wife injured falling down the stairs. The whole thing fpelt very Dataloungey. Even threw a reference to W&G.

by Anonymousreply 316November 19, 2018 4:33 PM

WTF with Katie Couric? She couldn't say more than two words without cheating to stare at cue cards off-camera. Can that woman not memorize three lines? They kept cutting back and forth between shots mid-sentence to hide her dead-eyed delivery.

by Anonymousreply 317November 19, 2018 6:42 PM

[quote] They need to drop the supporting actors from the original cast. Dead weight.

Agreed - should have made it Murphy + new cast of attractive Millennial co-workers + Tyne + Jake.

by Anonymousreply 318November 19, 2018 7:34 PM

I disagree. The guy that plays Frank is really strong in this. There's some story to be told there.

Corky and Miles, not so much. They should be around, but more recurring.

by Anonymousreply 319November 19, 2018 7:38 PM

Everyone always forgets Adan Rocha, Phyllis's illegal worker

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 320November 19, 2018 7:39 PM

R320, I haven’t forgotten that hottie.

by Anonymousreply 321November 19, 2018 7:41 PM

They never show him!

by Anonymousreply 322November 19, 2018 7:43 PM

Every third show should really be about Tyne's character or a lot about her. I'd like to see a romance with her and Jim.

by Anonymousreply 323November 20, 2018 1:21 AM

R320 he’s getting busy with Grace’s assistant from last season, who vanished as well.

by Anonymousreply 324November 20, 2018 8:40 AM

The set is too drab.

by Anonymousreply 325November 20, 2018 11:10 AM

Candice Bergen was on THE VIEW today.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 326November 20, 2018 9:12 PM

Well I'm sure it will be cancelled, because I love it, but I am going to enjoy the remaining episodes for what they are.

by Anonymousreply 327November 20, 2018 11:08 PM

Thanks for the YouTube link, R326!

That was a nice interview. I loved "It would be a small price to pay."

by Anonymousreply 328November 20, 2018 11:33 PM

Candice kissed Meghan McCunt!

by Anonymousreply 329November 21, 2018 12:54 AM

the computer geeky guy is irritating

by Anonymousreply 330November 21, 2018 1:07 AM

This is cool, Janeane will be part of a "Reality Bites" 25th anniversary reunion at the 2019 Tribeca Film Festival.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 331November 21, 2018 4:02 AM

R331 Sorry, wrong thread.

by Anonymousreply 332November 21, 2018 4:17 AM

Don't forget, while all the other shows are not on or reruns, tonight is a first run brand spanking new Murphy.

by Anonymousreply 333November 23, 2018 12:11 AM

This episode sucks and is way too preachy.

by Anonymousreply 334November 23, 2018 1:54 AM

Yes.

I just want to laugh.

by Anonymousreply 335November 23, 2018 1:57 AM

That was a fantastic episode. Glad they went there.

by Anonymousreply 336November 23, 2018 2:25 AM

I hated it and I'm not glad "they went there."

by Anonymousreply 337November 23, 2018 2:35 AM

Well, let me get you a tissue.

by Anonymousreply 338November 23, 2018 2:38 AM

Of course a shit ton of Dee Plorables are whining about it on The Twitters.

by Anonymousreply 339November 23, 2018 2:44 AM

"Murphy Brown" is not the same but I still love the show and Candice.

by Anonymousreply 340November 23, 2018 2:45 AM

That's the whole point, R338, it wasn't funny. There's All in the Family writing for social issues and then there's this garbage 2018 reboot writing.

by Anonymousreply 341November 23, 2018 2:47 AM

What was the episode about?

by Anonymousreply 342November 23, 2018 2:52 AM

R342 It starts as being a slapstick story about Murphy trying to cook Tgiving dinner for Avery.

The DACA employee at Phil's parked his family's taco truck in front of Murphy's and the neighbors called the cops, who in turn called ICE, and his parents are deported.

by Anonymousreply 343November 23, 2018 2:55 AM

The food wagon parents were deported. Hilarity ensues.

by Anonymousreply 344November 23, 2018 2:55 AM

The episode triggered some people including here evidently.

by Anonymousreply 345November 23, 2018 2:56 AM

Where those Judy Gold and Spongebob?

by Anonymousreply 346November 23, 2018 3:18 AM

Yup.

by Anonymousreply 347November 23, 2018 11:20 AM

So for all you deplorables posing as garden variety DL bitches, listen.

You think MB is too political? Then watch something else. You are aware that 95% of scripted television is so politics averse that you wouldn’t even know WHO the president is.

And then you’ve got a couple dozen reality shows where people sing, or dance, or try to live in a house together.

But no, you’re right. Shit on MB because it actually spends 22 minutes once a week actually expressing some of the anger that the rest of prime time TV doesn’t even acknowledge.

by Anonymousreply 348November 23, 2018 11:48 AM

Most people here haven't forgiven Candice for being older and fat.

They can't handle a serious episode......triggered!

by Anonymousreply 349November 23, 2018 11:50 AM

If it was at all amusing I could get past it being biased and preachy.

But is is just a stagnant mess of a show.

by Anonymousreply 350November 23, 2018 12:07 PM

A mantle filled with Emmys and she still can't act.

by Anonymousreply 351November 23, 2018 12:14 PM

Has Jake McDorman appeared shirtless yet?

by Anonymousreply 352November 23, 2018 12:20 PM

R348, who the hell are you to try and suppress our opinions about a supposed comedy series? All of you who attack those of us who disagree with your opinions (and shitty low-brow taste in shows) are worse than any communist regime. You and Trump have a lot in common.

R350 said it very succinctly. The show is on the chopping block and for good reason.

by Anonymousreply 353November 23, 2018 4:13 PM

They should have Murphy finally have that abortion.

Murphy can be the "oven" for a donor couple that dies, then decide to kill the baby, to make up for the abortion, they network/show chickened out of to begin with.

by Anonymousreply 354November 23, 2018 5:17 PM

Yes, R354, an abortion at 72.

by Anonymousreply 355November 23, 2018 5:21 PM

Michael Lembeck directed the last few episodes apparently with his shirt on.

by Anonymousreply 356November 23, 2018 7:01 PM

SHRIEEEK!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 357November 23, 2018 7:04 PM

When Tyne was on the couch with the guys and watching the cop drama on the TV I was ***so*** hoping they were going to show a snippet of Cagney and Lacey.

by Anonymousreply 358November 23, 2018 7:24 PM

Miguel is so fucking hot.

by Anonymousreply 359November 23, 2018 7:27 PM

OK, I was one of the ones who liked it but here's a nit pick:

Avery being on that phone video would have been a problem, since he's an anchor for the opposing network. They could not have played it with him in it.

by Anonymousreply 360November 23, 2018 8:22 PM

Was he in it when they played it?

by Anonymousreply 361November 23, 2018 8:27 PM

The ratings aren't too bad.

I am enjoying it and I didn't watch it until 96ish. I was 10. Candice lost weight after the pilot.

by Anonymousreply 362November 23, 2018 8:34 PM

If I were writing an episode, I’d have a beautiful young French twink on to seduce both Avery and Miguel. Candice could call the lad a shameless manwhore in French.

Did I mention the twink nudity?

by Anonymousreply 363November 23, 2018 8:38 PM

That kissing (really making out) was surprising and surprisingly hot. Like wow for network TV.

by Anonymousreply 364November 23, 2018 8:44 PM

Who was kissing?

by Anonymousreply 365November 23, 2018 8:45 PM

[quote]Avery being on that phone video would have been a problem, since he's an anchor for the opposing network.

Yes. It was also odd that Murphy seemed to be ending the show and was about to deliver the canned closing, when she said she was "going to go off script." For an unplanned event, they sure got that cellphone video on the screen fast.

Still, I'm glad they dealt with the issue. Perhaps, it'll be a good example for real news shows to follow.

by Anonymousreply 366November 23, 2018 9:33 PM

R365 It was from a few episodes back

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 367November 24, 2018 2:31 AM

I thought last night's episode was superb. That's what a ballsy sitcom should do with their weekly half hour. You had no idea it was going there; it was all set up to make you think it was just going to be the MB take on the sitcom staple where a character who's never cooked suddenly tries to make Thanksgiving dinner. Instead, it made a point, got decent viewers emotional, and apparently triggered some deplorable dickheads.

by Anonymousreply 368November 24, 2018 3:57 AM

Not too ballsy, they criticize the administration every single week!

What would be ballsy is if they went after someone on their own side of the aisle.

by Anonymousreply 369November 24, 2018 5:23 PM

Murphy Brown is preaching to my kind of choir. Love the show. Fuck the critics, fuck the Deplorables.

by Anonymousreply 370November 24, 2018 5:24 PM

I am a moderate, where is MY show?

by Anonymousreply 371November 24, 2018 5:25 PM

You don't have to be a Deplorable to hate this show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 372November 24, 2018 5:53 PM

r358 Phyllis introduced herself to the ICE agents as "former member of the NYPD".

by Anonymousreply 373November 24, 2018 6:43 PM

"What would be ballsy is if they went after someone on their own side of the aisle." Hi, Russian Troll. How's Moscow this time of year?

by Anonymousreply 374November 24, 2018 7:19 PM

Love how, in the midterm election episode, the new, blonde female host of the Wolf Pack slid on the couch (replacing the brunette one).

by Anonymousreply 375November 24, 2018 7:24 PM

Maybe if they appealed to more viewers they wouldn't have such low ratings. I would love to see the network notes for this show.

by Anonymousreply 376November 24, 2018 8:52 PM

Dems always win the popular vote so they appeal to the largest audience in the nation. They are on a very busy night of shows.

by Anonymousreply 377November 24, 2018 9:41 PM

Since it appears to have found its groove, if CBS cancels it, I wonder if another platform like Netflix or Hulu would pick it up?

by Anonymousreply 378November 24, 2018 9:56 PM

I hope they devote more episodes to the Phyllis-Miguel relationship. Just because Tyne is great and Miguel is hot. Also maybe kill off the tech guy. Not a big deal losing a gay character if he's this unfunny.

by Anonymousreply 379November 24, 2018 10:33 PM

FYI was a funnier workplace.

by Anonymousreply 380November 24, 2018 10:37 PM

No, kill off Miles, Frank, and Corky.

by Anonymousreply 381November 24, 2018 10:37 PM

Miguel needs to date Pat.

by Anonymousreply 382November 24, 2018 10:38 PM

Miguel needs to date Avery.

by Anonymousreply 383November 24, 2018 10:39 PM

Miguel needs to be inside me.

by Anonymousreply 384November 24, 2018 10:40 PM

Yes, Miguel and Avery would have made for a HOT coupling. Missed opportunity.

by Anonymousreply 385November 24, 2018 10:42 PM

[quote]Well I'm sure it will be cancelled

I was talking with a cable tech guy today, who was saying the reason the broadcast networks are considered dinosaurs -- and why millennials have no interest in watching them -- is because no one wants to wait anymore for a week to go by before being able to see the next episode. We live in the age of the binge-watch and young people today just don't have the patience or ability to stay interested if they can't watch each installment back-to-back-to-back.

by Anonymousreply 386November 24, 2018 10:50 PM

r386 I really hate that we are becoming a binge-watching culture. I love binge watching but I also like to wait each week to view an episode. We are fucked with the short attention span society we've created. I'm in my early 30's and my parents never allowed me to have a phone until 12th grade. They never allowed me to just sit and play video games.

by Anonymousreply 387November 24, 2018 11:10 PM

Vulture loved it.

Some vile cunt named Sandra (in the comments) responded "Build the wall." Unsurprisingly, her FB profile shows Trump.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 388November 25, 2018 1:15 AM

Less everyone else, more Tyne would help very much but I do love the social issues on the show. That is never a turn off for me. CB and the writers are on the right side of history.

by Anonymousreply 389November 25, 2018 1:25 AM

Well, if it's not continuing there are four more episodes.

by Anonymousreply 390November 25, 2018 1:41 AM

[quote]Less everyone else, more Tyne would help very much but I do love the social issues on the show. That is never a turn off for me. CB and the writers are on the right side of history.

Oh, how very woke you are. Come up with something less hackneyed next time, dear. Yeesh.

by Anonymousreply 391November 25, 2018 2:02 AM

[quote]I was talking with a cable tech guy today, who was saying the reason the broadcast networks are considered dinosaurs -- and why millennials have no interest in watching them -- is because no one wants to wait anymore for a week to go by before being able to see the next episode. We live in the age of the binge-watch and young people today just don't have the patience or ability to stay interested if they can't watch each installment back-to-back-to-back.

Young people??! Every baby boomer I know binge watches and DVRs. Appointment television is done across the board.

by Anonymousreply 392November 25, 2018 2:03 AM

[quote]I really hate that we are becoming a binge-watching culture. I love binge watching but I also like to wait each week to view an episode. We are fucked with the short attention span society we've created. I'm in my early 30's and my parents never allowed me to have a phone until 12th grade. They never allowed me to just sit and play video games.

Honey, in order to binge watch you can't have a short attention span. You need to be able to sit for 12+ hours at a time. It's simply over indulgence. People want everything right away - immediate gratification. It has nothing to do with attention spans.

by Anonymousreply 393November 25, 2018 2:05 AM

Binge watching = reading a book in one sitting. Same thing.

by Anonymousreply 394November 25, 2018 2:05 AM

It's not short attention span, it's short memory. If you binge watch something, you don't have to remember what happened on it last week.

by Anonymousreply 395November 25, 2018 2:07 AM

[quote]It's not short attention span, it's short memory. If you binge watch something, you don't have to remember what happened on it last week.

That's not why anyone binge watches, dear. That's not even worthy of a "nice try" response. That's just retarded.

by Anonymousreply 396November 25, 2018 2:11 AM

This Murphy Brown reboot is just horrendous. I'm surprised that nobody wants to fuck Nik Dodani.

by Anonymousreply 397November 25, 2018 2:12 AM

Humorless and preachy storytelling.

Noble effort though if you are in to that kind of thing.

by Anonymousreply 398November 25, 2018 2:28 AM

MB made the top 25 shows a few weeks ago with a solid 6.0. I don't see how this gets canceled.

by Anonymousreply 399November 25, 2018 3:38 AM

R399, it premiered with a 1.1/4 7.42 and its most recent ratings are 0.8/3t4.75.

by Anonymousreply 400November 25, 2018 3:46 AM

Why don't they try to make a comedy instead of whatever this mess is supposed to be.

by Anonymousreply 401November 25, 2018 3:53 AM

But what are its live + 3days or live + 7 days? Those numbers might be really good AND it was top 25 two weeks ago. It in TV Guide.

by Anonymousreply 402November 25, 2018 4:23 AM

The final episode (#13) is going to air on December 20th.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 403November 28, 2018 4:53 PM

Just as well. I hate trying to remember to watch a comedy show.

What's next for Jake?

by Anonymousreply 404November 28, 2018 5:19 PM

[quote] I'm surprised that nobody wants to fuck Nik Dodani.

I'd love to sit on his hard, brown dick.

Unfortunately, he's young enough to be my grandson

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 405November 28, 2018 7:36 PM

[quote]What's next for Jake?

More late night wanks on Snapchat!

by Anonymousreply 406November 28, 2018 7:43 PM

Diane English seems to be confident there will be a season 2.

I'm not so sure.

by Anonymousreply 407November 28, 2018 8:10 PM

I can't imagine she'd be saying that if CBS wasn't giving her some reason to do so. On the other hand, I hope they won't announce there will be a season two but only on CBS All Access because I'm not subscribing to that just to see "Murphy Brown" (or anything else).

by Anonymousreply 408November 28, 2018 8:52 PM

I think it will be back.

by Anonymousreply 409November 29, 2018 12:57 AM

They can't bring it back if it they are just going to the same old thing they did time. It needs some major tweaking.

by Anonymousreply 410November 29, 2018 1:08 AM

Keep Candice, Tyne, Jake, Adan. Because Adan is a cutie. Everyone else from the old show has got to go. Also Nik Dodani and the PA who's given one line per episode.

by Anonymousreply 411November 29, 2018 1:11 AM

Show's cancelled.

by Anonymousreply 412November 29, 2018 5:12 AM

It's still up in the air, but it was always intended to be a single season.

by Anonymousreply 413November 29, 2018 5:27 AM

There's a bit of spin in saying "intended". It was intended as a single season because that's all CBS gave it. But Diane English herself has said she's looking forward to a second season.

by Anonymousreply 414November 29, 2018 5:36 AM

[quote]I can't imagine she'd be saying that if CBS wasn't giving her some reason to do so.

CBS already confirmed it has been cancelled. English is saving face saying that they only asked for 13 and are hoping to do another 13. It's done. They actually already left NY and have told the staff and talent to look for new jobs and have thanked them for their work. It just didn't work out.

by Anonymousreply 415November 29, 2018 5:59 AM

English is hoping to shop it to an outlet like Amazon. She's nuts.

by Anonymousreply 416November 29, 2018 5:59 AM

[quote]It's still up in the air, but it was always intended to be a single season.

No, there was no intention. The only intention was to reboot it. They simply ordered a first season of 13. Period. It failed to deliver, thus CBS pulled the plug on the reboot and won't be ordering more. English will try selling it to a streaming service. No one is interested in this shit.

by Anonymousreply 417November 29, 2018 6:01 AM

I got the information mostly from here about it being intended for a single 13 episode season.

[quote]For Murphy Brown, the rebooted series was always intended to be a closed-ended order of 13 episodes. The multicamera comedy, featuring the return of star Candice Bergen and from original creator Diane English, has underperformed (6.2 million total viewers and a 0.9 in the key 18-49 demo) in its prime Thursdays at 9:30 p.m. slot and remains in consideration for a renewal.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 418November 29, 2018 6:05 AM

It's not officially canceled yet.

by Anonymousreply 419November 29, 2018 7:14 AM

I wanted to like it. Within the first few minutes of episode one I was done. The horrid laugh track and Hillary Clinton got me to change channels quickly. Another show taking aim at our president is not needed.

by Anonymousreply 420November 29, 2018 8:16 AM

[quote] I got the information mostly from here about it being intended for a single 13 episode season.

That's not what that says/means, and unfortunately you misunderstood it as everyone else did.

It means the order FOR THIS SEASON was only every supposed to be a limited run, as Roseanne/Connors and The Good Place have been. It was never up for a "back nine." In a full season of 22 the networks will buy a certain amount up front, then grant the back nine if the show is doing well.

A lot of outlets saw that particular story and the way it was worded and assumed it was done.

by Anonymousreply 421November 29, 2018 12:28 PM

[quote] and remains in consideration for a renewal.

People also missed this.

by Anonymousreply 422November 29, 2018 12:28 PM

Candace ate all the profits.

by Anonymousreply 423November 29, 2018 1:39 PM

R423, it also looks like she ate the yummy "i" and replaced it with the nutritious but not very tasty "a."

by Anonymousreply 424November 29, 2018 4:54 PM

Someone can eat me.

by Anonymousreply 425November 29, 2018 5:38 PM

R 415, they have not left New York. The 13th episode films tomorrow night and then the staff will be free to leave.

by Anonymousreply 426November 29, 2018 11:10 PM

It must have been very expensive to recreate the sets (for Murphy's house anyway) and have to pay several of the actors to temporarily relocate to NY. (The original was filmed in LA.)

by Anonymousreply 427November 29, 2018 11:19 PM

Jake McDorman should get better work now.

by Anonymousreply 428November 29, 2018 11:19 PM

If CBS was so confident in the show they would have sent out an encouraging press release of some kind,

by Anonymousreply 429November 29, 2018 11:22 PM

R427, and the writers and producers.

by Anonymousreply 430November 29, 2018 11:35 PM

Candice would only do the show if it was shot in NYC.

by Anonymousreply 431November 29, 2018 11:37 PM

I kinda figured the show was in trouble by the fact they showed an original episode on Thanksgiving night. Most of the time, if a show is popular with audiences, the networks won't waste an original episode by airing it on a major holiday when most people won't be sitting in front of a television set. The fact that they did with MB was a fairly good sign that perhaps CBS was done with this. (A major exception to this rule: NBC used to air new episodes of its Thursday night lineup starting with "Friends" every Thanksgiving for several years.)

by Anonymousreply 432November 29, 2018 11:48 PM

It was a Thanksgiving episode.

by Anonymousreply 433November 29, 2018 11:50 PM

Would the Diane and Candy be willing to make some changes and put away the sledgehammer if it would mean saving the show?

by Anonymousreply 434November 29, 2018 11:59 PM

The original MB was not subtle so why expect this one to be? I enjoyed this season though it was a bit dusty. Its overall ratings are solid but it's the demo that is weak.

by Anonymousreply 435November 30, 2018 12:17 AM

CBS has football on thanksgiving so typically show some originals that evening.

by Anonymousreply 436November 30, 2018 12:22 AM

Tonight's episode gives you a good idea why this show has been cancelled. It's fine to offer a political view but when you paint the opposition as evil, one-dimensional caricatures you're pretty much shitting on half of your prospective viewing audience. They're too goddamn sanctimonious.

by Anonymousreply 437November 30, 2018 2:00 AM

r437 No one cares what deplorables feel. They weren't going to watch anyway. Fuck them. And after the shitshow the repugs have put us through lately, that ain't caricature. It's the damn truth.

by Anonymousreply 438November 30, 2018 2:04 AM

Actually R438, I remember reading how Trump would call out Jim Acosta at his rallies and members of the audience would surround Acosta and boo him when he would report from these rallies but he said as soon as the cameras were off they'd be posing for selfies with him.

by Anonymousreply 439November 30, 2018 2:12 AM

[quote]Tonight's episode gives you a good idea why this show has been cancelled. It's fine to offer a political view but when you paint the opposition as evil, one-dimensional caricatures you're pretty much shitting on half of your prospective viewing audience. They're too goddamn sanctimonious.

The show is just poorly written period. Everyone is one-dimensional. It doesn't even have to do with politics. The entire thing is crap.

by Anonymousreply 440November 30, 2018 2:14 AM

I wonder if some of the cast members privately grumbled about how polarizing this show is but are afraid to say anything about it to Diane or Candy for fear of being seen as disloyal.

by Anonymousreply 441November 30, 2018 2:19 AM

Yes, I agree R440 but you have to admit the woman who punched Frank was straight out of central casting.

by Anonymousreply 442November 30, 2018 2:21 AM

I've loved a lot of the show but the two clunkiest bits have been when they've tried to attack Trump head on - with the Steve Bannon alike and then this.

It would have been great if instead of confronting the Trumpers, Avery went rogue on the air to defend the press. That would have been less sanctimonious.

by Anonymousreply 443November 30, 2018 2:36 AM

Why 'Murphy Brown' Took on Trump's "Frightening" Stance Toward Press:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 444November 30, 2018 3:33 AM

There's a real chance CBS gives this one more go. Maybe 10 episodes mid-season replacement. Polish it up a bit and see how it goes. I enjoyed this season.

by Anonymousreply 445November 30, 2018 3:50 AM

She's too old and wasn't relevant enough for a comeback.

by Anonymousreply 446November 30, 2018 3:52 AM

This is like a vanity project.

by Anonymousreply 447December 1, 2018 12:44 AM

There’s no real chance CBS gives it another go. It’s written by sledgehammer and they could run color bars and do at least as well

by Anonymousreply 448December 1, 2018 12:50 AM

R448 MARY!! Bars of COLOR!!!

by Anonymousreply 449December 1, 2018 1:02 AM

I just realized that Corky’s “Give him the shot” tirade in Frank’s hospital room came from “Terms of Endearment”.

by Anonymousreply 450December 3, 2018 1:03 AM

Yeah, that's how old the writers of this show are, r450.

by Anonymousreply 451December 3, 2018 1:26 AM

I guess I am the only person in America watching this and enjoying it.

I'm sure CBS will cancel it and put on a thousand more hours of murder, rape, autopsies, demons, and the end of the world.

by Anonymousreply 452December 3, 2018 2:23 AM

r452 I'm really enjoying this and I was 2 when the show first aired. My mom raised me on reruns of all sorts of shows and this is one of them.

by Anonymousreply 453December 3, 2018 2:38 AM

I'm enjoying most of the show.

by Anonymousreply 454December 3, 2018 2:42 AM

I want to enjoy Jake's fat cock knob.

by Anonymousreply 455December 3, 2018 9:59 PM

R452 I'm enjoying it as well. Not as much as the original series, but I'm definitely enjoying it.

by Anonymousreply 456December 3, 2018 10:03 PM

The last five minutes of the show so it's time for the sanctimonious anvil to come down and hit us on the head.

by Anonymousreply 457December 7, 2018 1:55 AM

This was a great episode. The whole bit with Avery was a bit unrealistic, though.

But really: Peter Scolari and Tyne Daly in a scene together. Sheer heaven.

And I love the stage manager. He's a riot.

by Anonymousreply 458December 7, 2018 2:48 AM

It's written as if it were an educational show for kids where they always have to have their heavy-handed moral at the end of the episode.

by Anonymousreply 459December 7, 2018 1:48 PM

So happy it's canceled. What a piece of dreck, it all makes me wonder, did I really like the original?

by Anonymousreply 460December 7, 2018 2:03 PM

Why does this show just offer only one point of view? Lazy writing.

by Anonymousreply 461December 7, 2018 3:23 PM

This thread has racked up 461 posts, a lot of them coming from people who continue to watch episode after episode just so they can talk about how much they hate the show.

by Anonymousreply 462December 7, 2018 8:17 PM

It's called hate-watching, R462.

by Anonymousreply 463December 7, 2018 9:11 PM

I need Miguel in my boudoir.

by Anonymousreply 464December 7, 2018 11:35 PM

Well, they tried.

by Anonymousreply 465December 7, 2018 11:54 PM

I love the show and every episode from about the 3rd one on. I will be very sad if it doesn't come back.

by Anonymousreply 466December 8, 2018 12:16 AM

Did Miguel blow the health inspector?

by Anonymousreply 467December 8, 2018 3:49 AM

Can't believe that was Peter Scolari

by Anonymousreply 468December 8, 2018 9:32 PM

They should bring him back he was funny.

by Anonymousreply 469December 9, 2018 8:05 PM

Only two more episodes left.

by Anonymousreply 470December 11, 2018 3:11 AM

I'm gonna miss it.

by Anonymousreply 471December 11, 2018 3:19 AM

Me too. It wasn't the original, but it was a lovely place to visit.

by Anonymousreply 472December 11, 2018 3:27 AM

I want the Mexican actor's hole on my face!

by Anonymousreply 473December 11, 2018 3:36 AM

Next to last one tonight

sigh

by Anonymousreply 474December 14, 2018 12:14 AM

I guess it really was a train wreck, OP.

by Anonymousreply 475December 14, 2018 12:32 AM

Faith Ford, please turn in your wig in a few weeks.

by Anonymousreply 476December 14, 2018 12:34 AM

Avery will top that sweet Mexican hole.

by Anonymousreply 477December 14, 2018 12:35 AM

They referred to next week's episode as the season finale, not the series finale.

by Anonymousreply 478December 14, 2018 2:01 AM

Avery Brown Lowenstein, we condole you!

by Anonymousreply 479December 14, 2018 2:04 AM

The dog ringing the bell was cute.

by Anonymousreply 480December 14, 2018 2:07 AM

It's a comfort show for me. I'll miss it.

by Anonymousreply 481December 14, 2018 2:10 AM

But where was the funny?

by Anonymousreply 482December 14, 2018 2:20 AM

[quote] They referred to next week's episode as the season finale, not the series finale.

They're hoping for a second season.

Since a few CBS shows are probably being wiped out by MeToo shit, maybe they'll order another season.

by Anonymousreply 483December 14, 2018 2:54 AM

R483, I assumed if they were cancelled they would have made mention of it in the show's final promo. I actually thought it was a done deal and they had already struck the set.

by Anonymousreply 484December 14, 2018 3:38 AM

I hope it gets a second season and new writers because the scripts really are insultingly bad Still there is some charm there.

by Anonymousreply 485December 14, 2018 7:56 PM

The show needs more than Trump bashing and scene stealing pooches.

by Anonymousreply 486December 14, 2018 7:58 PM

The show needs Miguel to be bare assed.

by Anonymousreply 487December 14, 2018 10:21 PM

Corky and Miles should have still been married that would have been a fun sub plot.

by Anonymousreply 488December 14, 2018 10:25 PM

More Tyne, much more! Best thing on the show.

by Anonymousreply 489December 14, 2018 10:46 PM

A little of Murphy goes a long way.

by Anonymousreply 490December 14, 2018 11:01 PM

How did Benny Brown get up the stairs?

by Anonymousreply 491December 15, 2018 2:40 AM

That little dog was fucking adorable.

by Anonymousreply 492December 15, 2018 2:47 AM

It won its time slot last night, apparently.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 493December 15, 2018 2:52 AM

He’s not quite “Eddie” from Frasier but he allows gruff characters to show a more human/softer side of their personality. Definitely needs to be back if there’s a season two next Sept.

by Anonymousreply 494December 15, 2018 3:15 AM

I'm noticing more and more how in some places the video doesn't line up with the audio. One example: the scene where Murphy tells Avery that they got a dog. Avery was obviously saying something even though he had his back to the camera, but there was no audio of what he was saying. Maybe they have to resort to trick editing to get around Candice's memory problems.

Tyne was very funny in the last episode. Landed every damn joke.

by Anonymousreply 495December 15, 2018 1:42 PM

How does Benny take a dump with that conveyance on him? What a little trouper! Does he ring a bell to let people know?

Too bad they can't bring Jerry Gold back. He was the boyfriend Murphy had the most chemistry with because even though they were opposites they were very much alike at the same time.

In season 10 he slept with Murphy even though he was about to marry somebody else and then she was his best man at the wedding. It ran last night on Antenna TV and there was this bed scene and doggone it if Jay Thomas wasn't sexy lying next to her with his gorgeous nipples.

by Anonymousreply 496December 15, 2018 2:20 PM

Murphy's hottest boyfriend was Scott Bakula.

by Anonymousreply 497December 15, 2018 2:22 PM

It lost half a ratings point in the demo from its lead-in, going from 1.2 to 0.7. That’s terrible. It won’t be back.

by Anonymousreply 498December 15, 2018 4:55 PM

If it does return it needs a major overhaul.

by Anonymousreply 499December 15, 2018 10:51 PM

There are too many characters, with not enough to do.

What exactly are Frank, Corky, and Miles doing?

Let's keep Murphy, her son, the female network executive, and promote the gay guy to producer.

At the bar let's keep Phyllis and her busboy.

I think we can get 13 decent scripts with just those characters.

by Anonymousreply 500December 16, 2018 8:20 PM

Corky and Miles are rudderless. They should have been a married couple with kids. Why is everybody but Murphy childless?

by Anonymousreply 501December 16, 2018 11:22 PM

Because the characters were all stored away in time capsules before the reboot started.

by Anonymousreply 502December 17, 2018 12:37 AM

They were too focused on you know who that they made him the main character.

by Anonymousreply 503December 18, 2018 9:50 PM

Bump for series finale

by Anonymousreply 504December 21, 2018 12:47 AM

If you want to see another season of the reboot you can write CBS here

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 505December 21, 2018 12:53 AM

I'm gonna write. I don't want to see this show die.

by Anonymousreply 506December 21, 2018 1:54 AM

Diane English is still optimistic about S2

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 507December 21, 2018 2:18 AM

Can't MB's son die in a plane crash or something? Awful character going nowhere in silly situations. Murphy needs to engage in some madcap Lucy-like material and this boring kid is killing her buzz.

by Anonymousreply 508December 21, 2018 2:31 AM

I hope they take my suggestions

by Anonymousreply 509December 21, 2018 2:55 AM

I like the dog the rest of the cast can retire.

by Anonymousreply 510December 21, 2018 4:07 AM

So, did Pat and Julius hook up after the New Years Party?

by Anonymousreply 511December 21, 2018 5:03 AM

Mediocre episode. Not a strong way to finish off the season, and likely the series.

My biggest frustration was Avery mumbled and/or whispered so many of his lines, I couldn't understand him. Director should have reshot those scenes.

I'm liking the dog, however.

by Anonymousreply 512December 21, 2018 9:10 AM

Benny was secretly a Republican, that is why he would frequently give his mistress the side eye.

by Anonymousreply 513December 21, 2018 1:02 PM

That's funny!

by Anonymousreply 514December 21, 2018 5:51 PM

I wrote. It was starting to get back into its groove. It needs a bit more time to develop. The dog is perfect.

by Anonymousreply 515December 21, 2018 6:12 PM

The guy playing Avery is simply not a good comic actor. He tries, and he looks good, but he's just not funny.

by Anonymousreply 516December 21, 2018 6:14 PM

They should have made him lean right. For conflict ya know.

by Anonymousreply 517December 21, 2018 7:02 PM

I thought Avery was great. Murphy needs one sort of happy person in her life.

by Anonymousreply 518December 21, 2018 8:32 PM

The Avery actor is more suited to play the lead in Hallmark or ION romantic movies. He's bland and boring and save for the eye candy he brings nothing to the role.

by Anonymousreply 519December 21, 2018 8:34 PM

He was good in Manhattan Love Story

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 520December 21, 2018 8:38 PM

I love the reboot.

by Anonymousreply 521December 21, 2018 8:50 PM

It isn't funny enough.

by Anonymousreply 522December 22, 2018 1:28 AM

R522 nails it. It's not a bad show but there are some episodes where I don't get any laughs out of it at all.

by Anonymousreply 523December 24, 2018 3:20 PM

R522 here. Thanks for agreeing with me.

I watch the show because I enjoy the cast from the earlier incarnation and I can't imagine that they are on board with all of the writing, it feels so forced at times like they are just there to deliver political messages and cash their paychecks. I don't judge them for it, it is hard to get cast for anything at their ages. But even they must realize that despite their good intentions the show feels like one big and unfunny soapbox with the only saving grace being the doggy on wheels who is quite the scene stealer. They should have just rebooted FYI, this Murphy In The Morning premise takes away the ensemble nature of the show within a show with her being their Queen and them all bowing to her and agreeing with her at every turn. At least on FYI they had more distinct personalities.

I do like the producer, she is beautiful and a good actress in her take no prisoners Diana Christenson type role. Maybe that is why they called her Diana as an homage to Faye Dunaway's character. They need to bring back Stuart Best and Miller Redfield as well.

Ans that's all's I know!

by Anonymousreply 524December 24, 2018 3:50 PM

[quote]Since a few CBS shows are probably being wiped out by MeToo shit,

Which shows?

by Anonymousreply 525December 24, 2018 4:56 PM

I thin?k if CBS really wanted to renew the trainwreck they would have done so already. Diane English is in denial.

by Anonymousreply 526December 24, 2018 9:08 PM

There's still a chance. They don't usually announce renewals until early in the year. May at the latest.

by Anonymousreply 527December 24, 2018 9:11 PM

Bring it back as Avery Brown, a 43-minute dramedy.

by Anonymousreply 528December 24, 2018 9:25 PM

Or as Miguel, gay porn.

by Anonymousreply 529December 24, 2018 9:26 PM

Avery is hot....I'm even willing to overlook his fling with FUGLO Bradley Cooper.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 530December 24, 2018 10:30 PM

Avery's trek to Afghanistan was so pointless and contrived.

by Anonymousreply 531December 24, 2018 10:35 PM

On second thought----I'm not sure Avery is hot after all....His taste in guys is hideous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 532December 25, 2018 8:11 AM

You're not kidding, r532. Bradley should have cast Jake as his co-star in A Star Is Born.

by Anonymousreply 533December 25, 2018 8:39 AM

WTF has Bradley done to his face?

by Anonymousreply 534December 25, 2018 9:15 AM

Nice bulge.

by Anonymousreply 535December 25, 2018 9:20 AM

I would have loved a return of PeeWee Herman in Gary Marshall’s former role. Remember him as Murphy’s only competent assistant, a ruthless lying manipulator who gets bumped up to management?

by Anonymousreply 536December 25, 2018 9:35 AM

Murphy has a MUCH younger half brother who might have been an interesting foil for the show.

by Anonymousreply 537December 25, 2018 7:33 PM

Creator Diane English discusses the season finale and a potential season two:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 538December 26, 2018 6:02 AM

Most of the cast act like they need back surgery. They could do it in a nursing home with Avery the big boss. The activity director allows them to do a serious new show that streams on the web Murphy often gets angry at other residents who vote the wrong way Corky and Miles visit sometimes Tyne Daily gets her own show...

by Anonymousreply 539December 26, 2018 6:42 AM

The Vicky Lawrence show set in a senior’s home feels more dynamic than Murphy Brown. Needs a major retooling if they come back next year. That said I love some aspects of the show and hope they fix the rest.

by Anonymousreply 540December 26, 2018 8:55 AM

Season 02: Murphy falls off the wagon. I'd watch.

Miles needs to go though, cringe worthy.

by Anonymousreply 541December 26, 2018 9:45 AM

Someone should have said 'um, we need some new blood'. Even Diane English has had very little success since the show went off the air. She did a remake of The Women and didn't want it to be too 'catty'....

by Anonymousreply 542December 26, 2018 10:10 AM

Kinda reminds me of that Kathy Bates sells pot Netflix show. Kathy selling pot will be a scream we'll borrow Lily Tomlin's wig and call it a day. people will laugh and laugh....

by Anonymousreply 543December 26, 2018 10:24 AM

R543 "Disjointed" Ugh I couldn't get past the first episode, if you need an artificial laugh track to let the tv watchers know when something "funny" occurs, I'm out.

by Anonymousreply 544December 26, 2018 10:40 AM

I would watch season 2. Ratings weren't than bad at all. Demo wasn't great but they need to fuck off with demo. Going as low as 18 is stupid now because most young people don't watch network TV. I saw there is a new demo, 25-54. That is more realistic but demo needs to go higher. Boomers aren't like the generation before them. They buy shit still and have more money than those before them.

by Anonymousreply 545December 26, 2018 7:49 PM

[quote]Going as low as 18 is stupid now because most young people don't watch network TV.

Exactly. My niece turned 18 in September and never watches TV. The network shows she does watch she catches them online.

by Anonymousreply 546December 26, 2018 7:57 PM

Bring back FYI! Let it be a reboot within a reboot.

Murphy In The Morning is not working as a premise.

by Anonymousreply 547December 26, 2018 8:14 PM

Which of these two North Texas guys do we think is hotter, Jake McDorman or Matt Barr?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 548December 26, 2018 8:38 PM

I didn't know they had blonds in Texas.

by Anonymousreply 549December 26, 2018 8:43 PM

I'd have to suck them both off to compare.

by Anonymousreply 550December 26, 2018 10:23 PM

R550 That's the first decent post I've read today in this cesspool.

by Anonymousreply 551December 26, 2018 10:26 PM

Bring back Lily Tomlin!

by Anonymousreply 552December 26, 2018 11:00 PM

Who’s Matt Barr?

by Anonymousreply 553December 26, 2018 11:09 PM

Avery Brown's second cousin.

by Anonymousreply 554December 26, 2018 11:11 PM

r553, meet Matt Barr.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 555December 27, 2018 1:16 AM

Bring back Stuart Best!

by Anonymousreply 556December 27, 2018 1:18 AM

This is interesting.

MB isn't doing so badly in some measurements. It falls in the middle of CBS's shows. But apparently they expected Roseanne numbers for this and that's why it's on the chopping block.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 557December 27, 2018 4:55 PM

It’s hugely benefiting from the Mom lead-in, but is losing way too much of that audience.

by Anonymousreply 558December 27, 2018 5:17 PM

I don't know how they expected this to be that huge. It is doing quite nicely overall but the demo is what is hurting it. I think it will get a season 2.

by Anonymousreply 559December 27, 2018 10:45 PM

It didn’t do nicely. It fumbled a good portion of its lead-in. And given the size of its numbers back when it originally aired, and the promotion they paid for, they expected much bigger numbers. A test pattern could have pulled these numbers after Mom.

by Anonymousreply 560December 27, 2018 10:59 PM

I’d watch a season 2, but I’m ok with a cancellation.

For weeks and weeks, I keep saying it was getting better, and I looked for things to be positive about. The last episodes were SO bluntly political— in a not funny and clever way — that I was annoyed. I HATE Trump, but even the dumping on Trump was weak and lame when I wanted to laugh.

There are things I like — I love Bergen and Jake is great as her son. Tyne Daly is great, as are the new cast additions. The old cast? The writing for them jus5 wasn’t good, and I don’t know why. The laugh track was annoying as hell.

Could it improve in a second season? I’m not sure. I don’t know if Diane English has it in her or if time has jus5 pass3d her by. It’s also possible Murphy Brown is a show that can’t work any longer and should never have been resurrected at all.

by Anonymousreply 561December 27, 2018 11:33 PM

It has the same flat and stagnant quality The Odd Couple reboot did.

by Anonymousreply 562December 28, 2018 1:13 AM

The show does not use a laugh track. The audiences laugh very hard during the recordings .

by Anonymousreply 563December 28, 2018 1:20 AM

I wonder if they consider moving the show to CBS All Access and maybe slash some salaries while at it.

by Anonymousreply 564December 28, 2018 1:29 AM

I hope not, R564. I'd like to see a season 2 (if there is one) but wouldn't subscribe to CBS All Access for it.

by Anonymousreply 565December 28, 2018 1:42 AM

Fun Fact.

Mary Cadorette was Murphy's first ever secretary in the original pilot.

by Anonymousreply 566December 28, 2018 3:05 AM

Too many characters, not enough for them to do.

Frank, Corky, and Miles aren't doing anything.

Keep Murphy, her son, the female network executive, and promote the gay guy to producer.

Keep Phyllis and her busboy.

I think we can get 13 decent scripts with just those characters.

by Anonymousreply 567December 28, 2018 4:56 AM

You posted the same thing at R500 R567

by Anonymousreply 568December 28, 2018 5:10 AM

I like the ideas from R567.

by Anonymousreply 569December 28, 2018 6:52 AM

Frank and Corky are definitely the dead weight on the show.

Not sure what purpose Miles is serving on this incarnation. The female executive is serving the purpose that Miles did in the original run -- being the network foil who tries to rein in Murphy's schemes.

by Anonymousreply 570December 28, 2018 7:10 AM

They should have Avery come out as gay.

Poor Candice seems really old and tired on this one.

by Anonymousreply 571December 28, 2018 7:21 AM

R571 she is old and tired. She's 72. What do you expect?

by Anonymousreply 572December 28, 2018 11:47 AM

[quote]They should have Avery come out as gay.

Yes, yes, a thousand times, YES!

by Anonymousreply 573December 28, 2018 1:30 PM

But there aren't any sexist pigs or dead corpses with a deck of cards in their vaginas.

by Anonymousreply 574December 28, 2018 1:55 PM

I agree, R571. That scene in Phil's pub when Avery (who had just lost his job) was talking to Miguel, I was so wishing it would end with Avery asking Miguel out on a date, but of course that didn't happen.

by Anonymousreply 575December 28, 2018 1:57 PM

And with the tech guy being gay (and the black guy who works on the set), there's no way they're going to let Avery be gay, too.

by Anonymousreply 576December 28, 2018 1:58 PM

We hiss and spit at R576.

by Anonymousreply 577December 28, 2018 2:09 PM

Make Corky gay!

by Anonymousreply 578December 28, 2018 4:24 PM

It seems cruel to wheel out Candice these days.

by Anonymousreply 579December 28, 2018 4:45 PM

At least she has working gams.

by Anonymousreply 580December 28, 2018 7:24 PM

How can they introduce Avery, Benny, and Miguel, and then cancel the show? Say it isn't so, CBS.

by Anonymousreply 581December 28, 2018 9:38 PM

Miguel should lean over the bar and let Avery raw dog him on camera.

THAT will bring in the viewers! And maybe a sponsorship from Sean Cody.

by Anonymousreply 582December 28, 2018 9:40 PM

The one with the bigger dick should do the dogging, r582. Whoever it is. And fuck that Brandon-bringing Shawn Cody bitch. Fuck it right in the ass.

by Anonymousreply 583December 28, 2018 9:43 PM

Miguel wants it in his hole. But only after Avery's tongue makes him wet.

by Anonymousreply 584December 28, 2018 9:50 PM

Shades of the Algonquin round table.

by Anonymousreply 585December 28, 2018 9:57 PM

I like Candice and I hope the show is an success but it needs someone behind the scenes to be cruel to be kind . Take Candice its not so much she was gained weight but she doesn't seem very agile like she has a bad back. They have access to the best healthcare either fix it or write into the show. Reduce the old regulars to recurring. It may hurt some feelings but it needs to be done...

by Anonymousreply 586December 30, 2018 1:57 PM

They actually have mentioned that both of her knees have been replaced.

But I get what you mean. How many eggshells do they have on walk on with her? It is HER show but the character is not written realistically in terms of her age. I hate to say it but she is past her prime.

Barbara Walters was able to stay relevant for a very long time but even she knew when to move on from the spotlight. An episode dealing with the reality of Murphy aging and having lost her looks and stamina might have been Emmy worthy. Or they could give that script to Frank as well. He looks bewildered and tired most of the time. Having them rough him up in that one episode was painful to watch.

by Anonymousreply 587December 30, 2018 3:02 PM

The reboot nobody asked for or wanted.

by Anonymousreply 588January 5, 2019 10:05 PM

Wrong I asked for and wanted it.

by Anonymousreply 589January 6, 2019 11:31 AM

R589 I too asked for it and wanted it but was disappointed by it.... Shitty CBS old fart demographic writers made every episode corny and hard to watch. Oh well.

by Anonymousreply 590January 8, 2019 12:54 AM

I wanted it to be less political and more amusing.

by Anonymousreply 591January 8, 2019 12:58 AM

Any hot pixxx of Miguel?

by Anonymousreply 592January 8, 2019 4:43 AM

Seven

by Anonymousreply 593January 8, 2019 4:59 AM

Six6

by Anonymousreply 594January 8, 2019 4:59 AM

Five.

by Anonymousreply 595January 8, 2019 5:00 AM

Four.

by Anonymousreply 596January 8, 2019 5:00 AM

Three.

by Anonymousreply 597January 8, 2019 5:01 AM

Two.

by Anonymousreply 598January 8, 2019 5:01 AM

One.

by Anonymousreply 599January 8, 2019 5:02 AM

By the lace of Faith Ford's wig, I declare this thread closed.

by Anonymousreply 600January 8, 2019 5:02 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!