Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Ted Cruz is seething jealous of Beto O'Rourke and whines to Fox "News" about how popular his opponent is!

bahahaha now c'mon Teddy suck it up. People just hate you

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 443October 31, 2018 2:25 AM

Ha!! I'd look at the video but nope. Fuck Fox News.

Beto is magical!!!

I would live to be able to go to Austin for Willie's concert.

Those conservative morons have got to be the stupidest people on the planet if they feel betrayed by Willie.

by Anonymousreply 1September 15, 2018 5:58 AM

C'mon, "Lyin' Ted" - Ebola is more popular than you are.

by Anonymousreply 2September 15, 2018 6:06 AM

Here in Texas there's about 3 different special interest conservative pacs running ads against O'Rourke, as you can imagine he's the worst human on the face of the earth. So Cruz has other groups spending millions for him.

by Anonymousreply 3September 15, 2018 6:08 AM

A+ R2 what a great response.

by Anonymousreply 4September 15, 2018 6:09 AM

Cruz has been described as "a sitcom Dracula."

by Anonymousreply 5September 15, 2018 6:10 AM

[quote]A+ [R2] what a great response.

I don’t think any response that perpetuates Trump-bred bullying nicknames is a great response.

by Anonymousreply 6September 15, 2018 6:24 AM

Remember Cruz's meltdown on the radio right before Trump beat him for the nomination? I hope he's freaking out the same way.

by Anonymousreply 7September 15, 2018 6:43 AM

Lyin' Ted has zero interest in being Texas' Senator which explains why he did nothing for 6 years in the Senate but showboat. He wants to be President and get a lot of facetime on TV. Like Trump, he has Narcissistic Personality Disorder and when he gets thwarted, he goes nuts.

The other Republicans in Texas (assholes, one and all) like nutjob Greg Abbott are leading their Dem opponents in those same polls where Cruz and Beto are within the margin of error by 15-20 points - so Cruz is definitely the least popular Republican among Republicans, too. Even if he wins with a small margin, his Presidential plans are destroyed.

In Texas, you can vote straight party ticket which worries me because some Republicans who don't like Cruz may just check the straight ticket option out of laziness.

I'm hoping the debates will help. Cruz hypes himself as such a great debater, but all he does is lie, insult and spout meaningless platitudes. He didn't win a single debate in the GOP primaries and just reinforced his image as an arrogant, slimy pol. Beto's got this Jimmy Stewart vibe: wholesome, honest and kind vs. Cruz's nasty.

by Anonymousreply 8September 15, 2018 4:18 PM

He's a slimy, slithering weasel whose outer appearance has slowly matched the inner appearance of his soul. He's interested in power and worships Moloch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9September 15, 2018 4:25 PM

Beto does seem to be the real deal. He's is extremely likable and good looking -- two things that Ted Cruz definitely is not. Cruz is a smug, arrogant asshole. I fervently hope that Beto bests him and we pick up a Senate seat.

by Anonymousreply 10September 15, 2018 4:34 PM

If Beto can beat Cruz, he could use that to become President. I think he's got the Obama spark.

by Anonymousreply 11September 15, 2018 4:35 PM

Does beto have a Michelle Obama type wife by his side? Because if so that's a plus.

by Anonymousreply 12September 15, 2018 5:10 PM

I used this new site called Google to find out R12

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13September 15, 2018 5:13 PM

You do have to admire the special kind of stupid it takes for the Republicans to support a Canadian born dual citizen of Canada and Cuba who cannot demonstrate he’s an actual US citizen.

At the time he was born *in Canada* for those playing the home version, US citizens had to file a long form declaration of live birth with the US embassy or consulate closest to their residence in Canada. Ted’s mother has never demonstrated she actually did that, and the State Department has declined as FOIA requests to provide the long form. Yeah, all his claims against Obama turn out to apply to him.

His father was still a Cuban citizen, not a Canadian and not US until many years after they moved from Canada back to the US and long after Ted’s birth.

by Anonymousreply 14September 15, 2018 5:19 PM

r14 you can usually look at whatever Republicans claim about someone else and find the accuser is the one who has actually done it.

by Anonymousreply 15September 15, 2018 5:21 PM

Ted cruz is trash. Just another racist dumb cracker. Fuck him.

by Anonymousreply 16September 15, 2018 5:21 PM

There was talk of Dump campaigning for Cruz to "help" him.

Oh my sides!

How they despise one another!

by Anonymousreply 17September 15, 2018 5:33 PM

R14, I also seem to remember from the '15-'16 primary season that his mother voted in a Canadian election (or was registered as a Canadian voter), which implies (perhaps mistakenly) that she was no longer an American citizen when she birthed the current senator in Calgary.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18September 15, 2018 5:57 PM

Booger Ted brings his own snacks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19September 15, 2018 6:07 PM

R14 it's even worse: when a child is born abroad to one US citizen married to a non-citizen (Cruz's father only bothered to become a US citizen in 2006 when his son went into politics), unless the US citizen had respected the uninterrupted residency requirements in effect in 1970, little Rafael is not a US citizen.

When Cruz was trying to claim 'of course, he's a natural born US citizen' in 2016, he claimed his Ma had moved from Texas to Canada just before his birth. Bullshit. Before hooking up with Cruz's father (and both have been married and divorced a lot of times for evangelical Christians), she was married to a guy named Wilson and they lived in the UK. Cruz carefully kept Ma (his only link to US citizenship) out of the spotlight when he ran. I'm betting she didn't respect the uninterrupted residency requirements and Lyin' Rafael's not actually a US citizen.

On the form the Cruz campaign submitted claiming to be proof of US citizenship, his mother's name is given as "Wilson" - the name of her ex-husband. Her maiden name is Darragh, she's the daughter of Irish immigrants in Delaware. Very, very odd. If you're divorced from one husband, married to another and registering a birth, you don't list the name of your ex-husband as being your legal name.

by Anonymousreply 20September 15, 2018 6:18 PM

[quote]“I am not in the habit of supporting people who attack my wife and attack my father,” Cruz said on July 21, 2016, after declining to endorse Trump in his convention speech.

Ted Cruz endorsed Donald for president two months later. The man is a spineless bottom feeder willing to sell out his own wife.

by Anonymousreply 21September 15, 2018 6:18 PM

Beto's wife Amy is the daughter of a billionaire real estate developer - which Cruz is trying to use against him despite the fact his savior Trump is too.

Unlike Ivanka, Amy wears no makeup, is an elementary school teacher who went to Williams and worked in Guatemala as a teacher.

She's not really pretty but attractive in a wholesome, liberal intellectual way. Very tall and thin. There's a photo of the O'Rourkes posing with the Obamas at a White House gala. Beto towers over the Obamas and Amy is almost as tall as Barack.

Beto said on an early date he took her to see Dazed and Confused at the movies and she fell asleep during the movie and drooled on his shirt. He said "that's how I knew I was in love".

Wet shirts are a leitmotif in Beto's life.

by Anonymousreply 22September 15, 2018 6:26 PM

R9 lmao

by Anonymousreply 23September 15, 2018 7:31 PM

Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) has a nine-point edge over opponent Rep. Beto O’Rourke (D-Texas) in the Lone Star State’s Senate race, according to a new Quinnipiac University poll released Tuesday.

About 54 percent of likely Texas voters support Cruz, compared with 45 percent who support O’Rourke.

While both have net-positive favorability ratings, Cruz’s margin is greater than his opponent’s. About 52 percent of likely voters have a favorable opinion of Cruz, compared to 43 percent who have an unfavorable opinion. Roughly 43 percent of likely voters have a favorable opinion of O’Rourke, whereas 42 percent have an unfavorable opinion.

by Anonymousreply 24September 18, 2018 6:27 PM

Who do they poll? I've never been polled in my life. I assume the only people who answer phone numbers they don't know are old people. The GOP's base.

by Anonymousreply 25September 18, 2018 6:33 PM

Quinnipiac must have really pushed undecided voters; other polls have undecideds in double digits. My most optimistic take is that the Quinnipiac poll is registering a lot of soft support for Cruz—some of it knee-jerk support for the incumbent or for the Republican—that may dwindle now that the "real" campaign season has started and hopefully will dwindle even further on election day if there's a strong Democratic turnout.

by Anonymousreply 26September 18, 2018 6:34 PM

[quote] I assume the only people who answer phone numbers they don't know are old people. The GOP's base.

Tons of Pro-lifers and 2A in Texas.

Let's hope that this is underestimating undecideds who can swing Dem, and that actual Dem turnout will be massive.

by Anonymousreply 27September 18, 2018 6:41 PM

There are as many Hispanics in Texas as in California. Problem in Texas is Hispanics don't vote anything like their numbers. The ones who do vote tend to be religious fanatical, anti-abortion voters. Unlike California.

by Anonymousreply 28September 18, 2018 7:31 PM

Ted Rafael Cruz campaign is sending out fund raising letters labeled "Summons" from the county. Making it look like it is something official from the county. He must really be desperate.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29September 18, 2018 11:52 PM

Cruz is up by 9 points because Americans suck. Weblike sucking and want the country to suck longer and harder than it ever has before. I mean they're given a choice and they choose - Ted fucking low life bucket of scum Cruz? The man's dog probably loathes him (if he has one). America will NEVER have nice things because that is the way we like it. Ask a red state American this - "would you like to have a brighter, fairer, more prosperous future for all citizens?" and the answer will invariably be "No thanks, we'd rather suck".

by Anonymousreply 30September 19, 2018 12:42 AM

Yes, I was disappointed to see that Quinnipiac poll that had the vile Cruz up by 9 points.

I'd like to hear from someone more learned in polls to discuss whether this is an outlier or an accurate reflection of the state of the race. We always knew that this one was going to be a tough race. But there is still seven to eight weeks to go so here's hoping that Beto can win.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31September 19, 2018 1:17 AM

Who did they poll? Didn't call me. I think they call people with landlines and the people they poll are people who answer unknown phone numbers. Imagine who does that.

by Anonymousreply 32September 19, 2018 2:03 AM

Apparently, R32, they polled "likely voters" -- i.e., those who voted in 2016. If that is the case, then the polling may not be all that accurate. A credible argument could be made that there are a significant number of people who didn't vote in 2016, but are exceptionally motivated to vote in 2018 because they are disgusted with Trump and the destructive path he has taken us down.

by Anonymousreply 33September 19, 2018 2:19 AM

And perhaps also a significant number of people who DID vote in 2016, but are exceptionally UNmotivated to vote in 2018 because ... what you said in R33.

by Anonymousreply 34September 19, 2018 2:40 AM

Might be an indication:

Voters elected political newcomer Pete Flores to the Texas Senate on Tuesday, flipping a Democratic district red for the first time in 139 years and bolstering Republicans’ supermajority in the chamber ahead of the November elections.

“This district has not been Republican since Reconstruction. And in September of 2018, it’s Republican once again,” Flores told supporters. “The work starts tomorrow.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35September 19, 2018 4:46 AM

R35 Yeah flipping Texas is very wishful thinking. I don't see it happening.

by Anonymousreply 36September 19, 2018 4:50 AM

it's still fun seeing Cruz freak out though

by Anonymousreply 37September 19, 2018 4:59 AM

No, I want to see him Lose.

by Anonymousreply 38September 19, 2018 5:56 AM

Beto needs to stop the touchy-feely shit and go after Cruz hard on his ACA Repeal vote, Corporate Welfare vote. Stick to economics and jobs. And stay away from Ellen and Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 39September 19, 2018 6:26 AM

*Breaking News*---- Rafael Cruz, a/k/a Lyin' Ted Cruz, warns Texans: Democrat Beto O'Rourke will implement a statewide Barbeque Ban should Beto take the election. However, it is unclear whether this is a beef ban or is meant to include poultry, ham, ram, sheep meat or mutton. A Barbeque Ban!?!!? GET A ROPE!!!

by Anonymousreply 40September 19, 2018 11:26 AM

Then there is this little jewel: “His real name isn’t Beto!!!”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41September 19, 2018 12:05 PM

Yesterday a poll of likely voters said Cruz +9 %. Today a poll of likely voters has Beto +2%.

by Anonymousreply 42September 19, 2018 3:15 PM

Which poll today? Link?

by Anonymousreply 43September 19, 2018 3:25 PM

His wife would certainly make a superb first lady. I hope he runs.

by Anonymousreply 44September 19, 2018 3:32 PM

What the hell kind of name is Beto? I mean, I hope he repeatedly kicks Ted in the nuts, but ... "Beto?"

by Anonymousreply 45September 19, 2018 3:39 PM

It's a knickname, R45, and how he's been known his whole life. I believe it's the shortened form of 'Roberto' - the Spanish version of his name, Robert.

He comes from a community with deep roots into Mexican life. Many of the Irish people in that area are the progeny of Irish soldiers who fought for Mexico after leaving service for Britain. They were treated badly, as Catholics, and went over to a country that promised them land and religious freedom for their service. Many of them stayed loyal to Mexico when Texans revolted, illegally, and then entered the US in the Mexican War that was the lead up to the Civil War. Beto may even have an ancestor that fought in gray, but I'd have to look a bit further. It's a fascinating place, El Paso, with a fascinating history.

by Anonymousreply 46September 19, 2018 3:46 PM

Is there any good reporting on Dem turnout efforts in TX? At the end of the day, that's what's going to matter. Let's be honest here, the overwhelming majority of Republicans or lean-Republican voters are going to vote for Republican candidates, just like they'll vote for Trump in 2020. Even if they personally dislike the candidate, they keep their eyes on the bigger prize(s) like the Supreme Court and tax "reform" etc.

Can people still be registered to vote at this stage? I really hope Beto and TX dems can sustain and build this energy and translate it into turnout from first-time and lapsed voters.

by Anonymousreply 47September 19, 2018 3:47 PM

Thanks, r46 -- I was just goofing around. That is interesting information though.

by Anonymousreply 48September 19, 2018 3:52 PM

[quote]I would live to be able to go to Austin for Willie's concert.

Does that mean you will die if you don't go to Austin for Willie's concert?

by Anonymousreply 49September 19, 2018 3:54 PM

Cruz is a goner.

by Anonymousreply 50September 19, 2018 3:56 PM

Cruz is a Canadian with ties to corporate banks like Goldman Sacs.

Beto is a true Texan.

by Anonymousreply 51September 19, 2018 3:57 PM

So far Real Clear Politics has nothing more recent then the +9 Quinnipiac poll. It is routine as the election nears they switch from Registered Voters to Likely Voters, and that normally favors the Republican. Even in last month's RV models Cruz led.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52September 19, 2018 3:57 PM

The worst part of the poll is that Cruz got almost half of Latino voters

by Anonymousreply 53September 19, 2018 4:16 PM

Which is why I think it full of shit, R53.

by Anonymousreply 54September 19, 2018 4:29 PM

Hispanics make great Republicans. I am not sure I would count on them to save the Democratic party.

by Anonymousreply 55September 19, 2018 4:34 PM

I think a Texas eldergay in a caftan has to take one for the team and viciously bitchslap Cruz at a live televised event, hissing at him the whole time. This will put Cruz into a tailspin in the polls, because Texans don't want to see their senator bitchslapped by an eldergay in a caftan.

by Anonymousreply 56September 19, 2018 4:35 PM

I volunteer! I've wanted to slap that face since I first saw it. Do I have to wear matching earrings?

by Anonymousreply 57September 19, 2018 4:45 PM

oh shit, I got too excited with the possibility....I'm not in Texas.

by Anonymousreply 58September 19, 2018 4:46 PM

That's what economy class is for, r58

by Anonymousreply 59September 19, 2018 7:31 PM

[quote]The worst part of the poll is that Cruz got almost half of Latino voters

Texas Latinos are just as likely to vote Republican as they are Democratic. The more reliable Latino voters tend to be Republican. If Latinos didn't vote in 2016 against Trump, they sure aren't going to turn out and vote in a mid-term.

That's why Latinos will not turn Texas purple anytime soon. The only way it turns purple is by whites from other states moving to Texas for work. That is making a gradual difference.

by Anonymousreply 60September 19, 2018 7:58 PM

Yep, experts keep warning Democrats to assume Latinos are solidly Democratic. They aren’t. Many Texas Latinos are quiet conservative, and have voted Republican for a while. George Bush received a huge percentage of the Latin vote, and Trump got a shockingly large portion of the vote in 2016.

by Anonymousreply 61September 19, 2018 8:19 PM

Here's the poll. Beto up by 2.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62September 19, 2018 8:52 PM

That's within the margin of error though R62. Beto hasn't been able to narrow the aggregate gap much further since the beginning of summer, so it's doubtful he can pull off a win (but holy shit will I celebrate like never before if he does even though I'm as far away as NY).

The reason Cruz has been whining, pouting and bitching despite still having a solid lead is that he and the GOP are panicking by how quickly they are losing ground in TX. In 2012, Romney took TX over Obama by about 15% points. That same year Cruz beat Sadler by about 15% points (with relatively high turnout because it was a presidential year), and in 2014 Cornyn beat Alameel by about 27% points (low turnout off-year).

But in 2016 Trump took TX by only about 9% over Clinton. It's now another off-year election, and even with both Trump and Cruz being so disliked, the typically low turnout off year nature of the election plus a decent economy should give Cruz a huge advantage. He should be able to clear at least his margin of victory from 2012 and definitely Trump's from 2016 (Cruz of course won the primary with a huge lead in TX in 2016). But if the current numbers hold, Cruz is on track to win only by about 5% points. That's pretty damning and there's absolutely no way to spin it as anything but a foreboding sign for the GOP in TX. Again--Trump lost the primary in 2016, is overall disliked, but still managed to clear 9% points in a presidential year election. Cruz with the incumbency and low turnout off year advantage may not even manage that.

The House races are also showing loss of ground. In 2016 all the R incumbents in TX won their races. But all of the Rs who had a D challenger (not all of them did) lost some percentage points from their previous win--a couple of them lost as many as 10%. The D's held the same number of districts, even when the D incumbent didn't run. There was an overall loss of R votes and overall gain of D, even with Trump winning the top of the ticket.

Even if Beto loses, the Dems need to keep investing in TX. Two or 3 more election cycles and they will have it.

by Anonymousreply 63September 19, 2018 9:01 PM

Ted is a piece of shit.

by Anonymousreply 64September 19, 2018 9:01 PM

He reminds me of that Devon Nunes character -- both of them are in over their heads and are too dense to have a clue.

by Anonymousreply 65September 19, 2018 9:07 PM

The Austin police have just issued an arrest warrant for the asshole who was putting the plans online for a 3D gun for having sex with a 16 year old girl. He has fled to Taiwan. He's a big Cruz donor!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66September 19, 2018 9:18 PM

[Quote]The buy comes as Democratic strategists have warned that O’Rourke needs to ramp up his outreach with Latino voters if he wants to unseat Republican Ted Cruz

Yikes! Could Latinos be the reason if he doesn't win the election?

by Anonymousreply 67September 19, 2018 9:24 PM

Ted is pathetic. Now he claims Beto will make barbecue illegal! LOL. (And yes, I know it was supposed to be a "joke", but it's so fucking lame you could actually think he meant it).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68September 19, 2018 9:31 PM

Texas Latinos are far more conservative than California Latinos.

by Anonymousreply 69September 19, 2018 10:34 PM

I like both Beto and Ted. If I were a Texan I would have a hard time making up my mind.

by Anonymousreply 70September 19, 2018 10:40 PM

the polls are all over the place, in some Cruz is up 9 and in others behind by 2..........my hunch is his loyal republican voting Texas dimwits give him another term.

by Anonymousreply 71September 19, 2018 10:43 PM

Oh Cruz can’t be up 9. I bet he can’t even get up 5.

by Anonymousreply 72September 19, 2018 10:48 PM

Oh, now R25 - I'm old and ugly as hell, and even I'VE been poled at least a FEW times in my life.

by Anonymousreply 73September 19, 2018 10:57 PM

[quote] I like both Beto and Ted. If I were a Texan I would have a hard time making up my mind.

Being undecided and confused is not your problem. Being stupid, however, is.

by Anonymousreply 74September 19, 2018 11:01 PM

Like Ted Cruz? Nobody likes Ted Cruz.

by Anonymousreply 75September 19, 2018 11:07 PM

[quote]I like both Beto and Ted.

If you aren't a troll, serious question: Why do you like Ted?

by Anonymousreply 76September 19, 2018 11:18 PM

Democrats need to reach out to Texas Latinos without being presumptuous or condescending. Texas Latinos seem to rebuff the notion their ethnicity makes them vote Democratic or liberal. They don’t vote or live the same way Californian or New York Latinos and campaign pitches used with Latinos elsewhere will fall flat here. Also, a huge percentage of Texas Latinos are evangelicals, which poses distinct challenges.

by Anonymousreply 77September 19, 2018 11:22 PM

Growing up in Texas way back when, the Mexicans (as they were then known) were at the bottom of the social pecking order, well below African Americans. Yes, I'm fully aware how racist this all is, but it's the truth.

When my ex-bro-in-law married a Mexican woman, it was a scandal in the family. Shocking!

Over the past 20 or so years, it seems like Latinos (as they now are) may not have been particularly socially mobile, but they hate black people and so seem to identify with the oppressive Anglos who still scorn them.

Stockholm Syndrome maybe?

by Anonymousreply 78September 20, 2018 12:50 AM

On Chris Matthews show tonight, a pundit said that Beto would have to increase his share of the latino vote by a HUGE margin over Cruz to offset the overwhelming white vote that Cruz will get. According to the Q poll, Beto is only getting 54% support among latinos.

In other words, there's no path to victory for him. Texas is far too red.

by Anonymousreply 79September 20, 2018 1:01 AM

"Trump got a shockingly large portion of the vote in 2016."

No, he lost the Latino vote

by Anonymousreply 80September 20, 2018 1:04 AM

That’s it then. It’s really too bad. Ted Cruz is the equivalent of running against a dog turd with an (R) by its name. There really is no hope for a country populated by morons. Americans really want suck.

by Anonymousreply 81September 20, 2018 1:23 AM

Trump received 34% of Latino votes, Clinton 61%. Not great considering Trump’s blistering attacks on Mexicans

by Anonymousreply 82September 20, 2018 1:31 AM

Sorry, R82, but it was only 29%, not 34%.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83September 20, 2018 1:34 AM

[quote]Trump got a shockingly large portion of the vote in 2016.

See above. 29% didn't really shock anyone.

by Anonymousreply 84September 20, 2018 1:34 AM

Are the statistics in R83 for Texas or the whole country? We're really more concerned about the Texas vote here. And let's not get too discouraged yet.

by Anonymousreply 85September 20, 2018 1:45 AM

CNN

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86September 20, 2018 1:48 AM

If the Latinos don’t vote Democratic, then they can run for the border.

by Anonymousreply 87September 20, 2018 1:48 AM

The numbers for the 2016 Latino vote in TX were disputed, but max estimate was 34% for Trump. It's likely lower.

The problem is Latinos only make up about 30% of eligible voters in TX, so even if Beto got their registration numbers way up AND got them all to the polls, numbers wise it still might not be enough.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88September 20, 2018 1:49 AM

So the other way is to depress the white Rethug vote as much as possible. I guess that's why Cheeto will be stomping for Lyin' Ted - to prevent that.

by Anonymousreply 89September 20, 2018 1:53 AM

That Quinnipiac poll showing Cruz +9 is probably accurate. Unless you've lived in Texas for awhile, you don't understand how poor voter turnout is among Democrats. Every year we get excited about a candidate and they end up losing by a wide margin. It's because the areas outside of the major cities is blood red and heavy evangelical. You can't win when you're up against that kind of stupidity. It'll happen eventually, but not in my lifetime.

by Anonymousreply 90September 20, 2018 2:33 AM

He's a louse

by Anonymousreply 91September 20, 2018 2:34 AM

Beto needs everything to fall his way to win, including unprecedented black and Latin turnout. At the same time, he needs unprecedented suppression of the white vote. Cruz and Trump are working overtime to elevate cultural issues in the race, which will galvanize White and evangelical voters. Beto can’t win if cultural issues take centerstage.

by Anonymousreply 92September 20, 2018 2:38 AM

Cruz is Latin

by Anonymousreply 93September 20, 2018 3:13 AM

If Trump hasn’t already motivated Latinos to vote, there is no hope.

by Anonymousreply 94September 20, 2018 3:17 AM

Nothing is in stone. Keep working.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95September 20, 2018 3:19 AM

There's no way Cruz is ahead of Beto by 9 points.

by Anonymousreply 96September 20, 2018 4:04 AM

RCP average is currently Cruz +4.5. However that includes two month old polls of "registered voters" which generally pulls down the republican numbers.

by Anonymousreply 97September 20, 2018 4:23 AM

Why are Democrats such lazy fucks?

by Anonymousreply 98September 20, 2018 4:31 AM

I got a text from Beto campaign asking if I will support him. I’m a registered Republican but I didn’t want to say no...things are so heated now that I was concerned I could get ugly texts or be spammed. And I’m sure Dems getting a text from the Cruz campaign wouldn’t feel comfortable answering either. So it’s anyone’s guess about poll results...

by Anonymousreply 99September 20, 2018 4:53 AM

Beto eeks it out by .5 percent.

Lying Ted takes off his fake cowboy boots and goes to work for the banks.

by Anonymousreply 100September 20, 2018 5:04 AM

R99 you lost me at Registered Republican.

by Anonymousreply 101September 20, 2018 5:19 AM

Texas can be so scary and odd.

by Anonymousreply 102September 20, 2018 5:25 AM

R98, I like many, spend my weekends canvassing. Do tell, how many times have you even bothered to call your moc?

by Anonymousreply 103September 20, 2018 5:48 AM

For 6 years Cruz has never held a single Town Hall, never bothered to empty his voicemail. The only person I've ever heard of who managed to get through to one of Cruz's supposed offices was told after conveying a request "There are 28 million people in Texas and we can't take into consideration what everybody says".

Cruz's arrogance is monumental. He considers that Texas owes him a seat so he can keep running for President.

by Anonymousreply 104September 20, 2018 1:45 PM

[Quote]On Chris Matthews show tonight, a pundit said that Beto would have to increase his share of the latino vote by a HUGE margin over Cruz to offset the overwhelming white vote that Cruz will get. According to the Q poll, Beto is only getting 54% support among latinos. In other words, there's no path to victory for him. Texas is far too red.

[Quote]Beto needs everything to fall his way to win, including unprecedented black and Latin turnout. At the same time, he needs unprecedented suppression of the white vote. Cruz and Trump are working overtime to elevate cultural issues in the race, which will galvanize White and evangelical voters. Beto can’t win if cultural issues take centerstage.

[Quote]That Quinnipiac poll showing Cruz +9 is probably accurate. Unless you've lived in Texas for awhile, you don't understand how poor voter turnout is among Democrats. Every year we get excited about a candidate and they end up losing by a wide margin. It's because the areas outside of the major cities is blood red and heavy evangelical. You can't win when you're up against that kind of stupidity. It'll happen eventually, but not in my lifetime.

You nailed it. This is why I don't think Beto will win. I have basically lost all hope. I just don't think it's possible. Republicans will vote for Lying Ted just because he is Republican, doesn't matter how despicable he is. He will get the votes to win. Republicans are idiots and bigots. It's never going to change.

by Anonymousreply 105September 20, 2018 2:00 PM

[quote]If Trump hasn’t already motivated Latinos to vote, there is no hope.

Frankly, Democrats need to stop pushing Latino issues. It hurts Democrats among white voters, and it's not like Latinos are loyal to the party. They vote for whoever they like the best, whether it be Bush, or Obama. There's no party loyalty, so why are we hurting our electoral chances with white voters when Latinos can't even be bothered to vote.

Democrats spent the whole Spring drawing attention to the border detentions and family separations, and Latinos still aren't supporting Dem candidates. It boggles the mind.

by Anonymousreply 106September 20, 2018 3:38 PM

I’m baffled too. California Latinos get it, but elsewhere, not so much

by Anonymousreply 107September 20, 2018 3:47 PM

"Democrats spent the whole Spring drawing attention to the border detentions and family separations, and Latinos still aren't supporting Dem candidates"

Actually, they are.

by Anonymousreply 108September 20, 2018 3:58 PM

Although I can't predict that Beto will win—he's the underdog and has an uphill battle—the posters here who are abandoning all hope are really going beyond the evidence at this point in time, and I'm starting to suspect them of being heavy-handed concern trolls.

by Anonymousreply 109September 20, 2018 5:32 PM

In fact, I'll add that not just on this thread but on others and in the media I'm seeing a sudden spate of discouraging commentary for the Democrats—I think partly a response by trolls, but also a more or less cyclical response to good news. Stick to the facts: the House is still well within reach, and the Senate is closer now than it was early in the summer. Get out the message and get out the vote.

by Anonymousreply 110September 20, 2018 5:35 PM

Defeatist trolls.

Ff and fight on.

by Anonymousreply 111September 20, 2018 5:38 PM

I just sent Beto some money.

by Anonymousreply 112September 20, 2018 5:38 PM

What kind of dumb ass comes out strongly in support of the NFL anthem protests while running for the senate in friggin Texas? That’s when the tide began to turn. These goddamn Democrats better start remembering what country they’re in and stop with the social justice bullshit.

If Beto loses by anything approaching double digits, he and his sycophants can kiss those Presidential ambitions goodbye.

by Anonymousreply 113September 20, 2018 5:43 PM

We shouldn’t give up on Texas, but there is a reason a Democrat hasn’t won statewide office there in a quarter century

by Anonymousreply 114September 20, 2018 5:44 PM

What do they get from their current Senator that is too good to give up?

Nothing.

by Anonymousreply 115September 20, 2018 5:47 PM

They just can’t quit him.

by Anonymousreply 116September 20, 2018 5:47 PM

They might be deplorable, but they are voting for Cruz because they believe he will vote the way they want him to vote. That’s rational.

by Anonymousreply 117September 20, 2018 5:49 PM

A vote for rightwing policies, R115. Assuming Kavanaugh makes it through, for example, Cruz will have voted to confirm both of Trump’s justices and taken a hand in changing America for the worse.

by Anonymousreply 118September 20, 2018 5:50 PM

He’s a Canadian weasel. How does that appeal to Texas?

At least Beto is a local.

by Anonymousreply 119September 20, 2018 5:56 PM

Sorry, anyone who thinks that defending taking a knee is "social justice bullshit," even in Texas, is a troll and a racist. Beto's defense was reasoned and eloquent and at the very least helped push him farther ahead than the average Democrat would get in that state. R113, with his "dumb ass" and "sycophants" crap, can go back to listening to the toxins spewing out of right-wing radio.

by Anonymousreply 120September 20, 2018 6:11 PM

Most Texas voters say U.S. Senate should confirm Brett Kavanaugh to Supreme Court, poll finds

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121September 20, 2018 7:04 PM

Latino voters are not a sure thing for Cruz. Here's why they could vote Beto:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122September 20, 2018 7:31 PM

[QUOTE]Beto's defense was reasoned and eloquent and at the very least helped push him farther ahead than the average Democrat would get in that state.

Bullshit. A Democrat like Bill Clinton would’ve capitalized on that moment and told those NFL players to stand the fuck up for the anthem. THAT would’ve pushed him further ahead. He was doing just fine before he jumped on the Kaepernick bandwagon.

He’s not cutthroat enough to take down a big prick like Cruz.

by Anonymousreply 123September 20, 2018 8:30 PM

Anybody know what channel in Austin is showing the debate tomorrow night?

by Anonymousreply 124September 21, 2018 12:33 AM

I would never vote for a man who asked someone who recently savaged his wife and father to campaign for him. It's beyond pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 125September 21, 2018 12:43 AM

There was a shirtless photo of Alex Trebek in my mom's People Magazine back in the 70s. I wanted to cut it out of the magazine, but she would have freaked out if I had. It went in the garbage before I realized it was gone.

by Anonymousreply 126September 21, 2018 12:46 AM

"What kind of dumb ass comes out strongly in support of the NFL anthem protests while running for the senate in friggin Texas? That’s when the tide began to turn. These goddamn Democrats better start remembering what country they’re in and stop with the social justice bullshit."

What tide? Trust me, no one is voting based on anthem protests alone. Deep down, even the freepers who bitch and moan about it know it doesn't affect their lives one bit.

"A Democrat like Bill Clinton would’ve capitalized on that moment and told those NFL players to stand the fuck up for the anthem."

You're confusing Clinton with Trump

by Anonymousreply 127September 21, 2018 3:22 AM

That's what's so puzzling about these trolls. There was no "tide began to turn." And pretending that Bill Clinton would have said that? Wow.... We do have some of the dumbest trolls on the Internet.

by Anonymousreply 128September 21, 2018 3:43 AM

[quote] And pretending that Bill Clinton would have said that? Wow.

Yes indeed. Bill would NEVER have done such a thing.

by Anonymousreply 129September 21, 2018 3:50 AM

Dear, R129, we know you're a rather stupid troll but do please try to not be so fucking stupid. Free clue: there is a huge difference. What the protesters are doing is absolutely the epitome of patriotism. Clinton would have done exactly what Beto has done and it's just stupid to pretend otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 130September 21, 2018 3:59 AM

I love the idiots who are trying to pretend that Clinton would have condemned the NFL players. And the even bigger idiot who is trying to pretend that the "Sister Souljah Moment" is "proof" of this. It's hilariously false.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131September 21, 2018 4:11 AM

Beto does need to go after Cruz on ACA and taxes and spending. Texas working families can’t afford Cruz’s taxes and spending.

by Anonymousreply 132September 21, 2018 4:48 AM

A poll out today has Cruz’s approval rating in Texas at 43%.

by Anonymousreply 133September 21, 2018 5:38 AM

I have heard it through the grapevine that the debate will be on locally on NBC at 6:00. It sounds like KERA will also be a good source to watch/listen to the debate, especially if you aren’t in town. They will also be broadcasting it live on 90.1, live streaming it on the KERA website, and I think they will be playing it on TV at 10.

by Anonymousreply 134September 21, 2018 6:00 AM

How about in Austin? Anybody know on what channel it will be televised?

Also, concerning the NFL protests - Cruz made a big mistake. He had first defended Alex Jones' right to freedom of speech and then denied the freedom of speech of football players. Hopefully, in the debates his hypocrisy will be underlined.

by Anonymousreply 135September 21, 2018 3:40 PM

CSpan is airing the debate live at 7pm Eastern.

by Anonymousreply 136September 21, 2018 5:12 PM

Hollywood super-producer Judd Apatow has announced that he is parachuting into Texas to headline a fundraising event for left-wing Democrat Senate candidate Beto O’Rourke.

The 40-Year-Old Virgin and Girls producer announced his participation in the September 20 and 27 events on Twitter.

“Come to @LargoLosAngeles on 9-20 for our benefit for @WhenWeAllVote and 9-27 for our benefit for Beto O’Rourke. Amazing surprise guests!

by Anonymousreply 137September 21, 2018 5:34 PM

R137 Cruz troll... one of Cruz's biggest donors is the asshole who owns Cinemark Theatres.

by Anonymousreply 138September 21, 2018 6:09 PM

why debate on Friday night? They could get more viewers during the week. I'm sure CNN & MSNBC will show key moments later tonight and tomorrow though so we won't miss anything important. If Beto does well this could really boost his chances. Hopefully he stays as thoughtful, calm and smooth as during his rallies. Hopefully Cruz being rude, aggressive and interrupting won't bother him

by Anonymousreply 139September 21, 2018 7:19 PM

Cruz wanted all the debates to be on Friday nights - when a shitload of Texans go to their local high school football game. Friday Night Lights.

by Anonymousreply 140September 21, 2018 8:19 PM

My brother is out of state and has found the debate on YouTube for those who are interesting in watching. Ted is so pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 141September 22, 2018 12:14 AM

I've watched three clips today; one from a rally and two from tonight's debate. He is exceptionally impressive. He has a speaking style that connects with people. He is intelligent without being arrogant or condescending (like that weasel Cruz -- with apologies to weasels).

He's good. He's damn good.

by Anonymousreply 142September 22, 2018 2:55 AM

O’Rourke is so damn likeable.

by Anonymousreply 143September 22, 2018 2:57 AM

I bought this today

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144September 22, 2018 3:03 AM

so how did the debate go? No coverage so far because of the Kavanaugh and Rosenstein stories

by Anonymousreply 145September 22, 2018 3:09 AM

^ Beto kicked ass!

by Anonymousreply 146September 22, 2018 6:03 AM

The best the pro dem NY Daily News can spin it is: Beto and Ted land jabs, not knockout blows, in first debate

by Anonymousreply 147September 22, 2018 6:16 AM

Beto is so well liked even Ted Cruz has started to campaign for him! Just watch what he tweeted.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148September 22, 2018 6:35 AM

Of course that sack-of-shit Ted Cruz would tweet out a clip of Beto talking about equal rights and justice -- because Ted wants all his racist supporters to see how important the election is for the KKK.

Cruz is a sorry excuse for a human being.

by Anonymousreply 149September 22, 2018 9:22 AM

Ted Cruz is a very skillful douchebag.

by Anonymousreply 150September 22, 2018 10:21 AM

Beto's campaign should retaliate with mouth-booger clips.

by Anonymousreply 151September 22, 2018 12:02 PM

Beto is a very attractive homosexual!

by Anonymousreply 152September 22, 2018 12:09 PM

Cruz did his usual Cruz schtick: smirking, chuckling when it wasn't his turn to speak, sneering and the coup de grace: at the end the moderators asked them to say something nice about their opponent. Beto made a gracious comment about Cruz being a hard worker who sacrifices his family time to do what he thinks is right.. then Cruz launches into praise for himself and ends up saying Beto is like Bernie Sanders a socialist, bla, bla... Beto said: "True to form" which trended on twitter for hours.

Cruz avoided getting in the same frame as Beto so people (he hopes) wouldn't notice Beto's 8" taller than Cruz is. Height counts in Texas.

by Anonymousreply 153September 22, 2018 2:48 PM

They shook hands in the beginning.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154September 22, 2018 2:53 PM

R16, Racist. Same as N word.

by Anonymousreply 155September 22, 2018 2:56 PM

I'd wondered how Cruz would handle the height issue. He's listed as 5'10" and Beto is 6'5". Even with Beto stooping over slightly, it looks like Cruz must have worn some lifts in his dress shoes or cowboy boots with at least two inch heels. Interesting that Beto had to go over to Cruz's lectern to shake his hand; they didn't meet half way as would be typical. I like that Beto's looming into him a little, though it's likely not an aggressive stance as he likely has to do that with practically everyone to be a little more face to face. He should loom more and get a closer at the next debate a la LBJ to be off-putting to Cruz (Per LBJ biographer Robert Caro, Johnson was famous for looming right into both allies and adversaries faces to establish dominance).

Notice how Beto's jaw is clenched. Pre-debate nerves or just a natural reaction to shaking hands with Mephistopheles?

by Anonymousreply 156September 22, 2018 5:31 PM

What are Democrats not doing to energize Latinos?

by Anonymousreply 157September 23, 2018 12:06 PM

R157, it's just unreal they aren't energized by trumps behavior. Maybe nothing will energize them.

by Anonymousreply 158September 23, 2018 12:31 PM

Just heard a Latina political pundit say Democrats are making the mistake focusing on immigration as the issue to motivate Latinos. She also said Democrats forget how important religion is to many Hispanics. More and more Latinos are evangelicals, and the abortion issue means they will vote Republican no matter what.

by Anonymousreply 159September 23, 2018 1:40 PM

I think that's more true in Texas than in certain other states. In CA, AZ, and NY Latino voters do get energized against Republican immigration policies. If a Latino or other voter is a one-issue voter on abortion, then so be it, the Democrats won't get them. In any case I hope the "Latina political pundit" referred to in R159 specified which "Democrats are making the mistake focusing on immigration," because Democrats are rightly focusing on a lot of things (Social Security, health insurance, tax rates, racism and sexism, the cronyism and corruption that runs Republican politics, etc.).

by Anonymousreply 160September 23, 2018 1:58 PM

Heidi Ho, Lucifer in the Flesh, no Go!

by Anonymousreply 161September 23, 2018 2:07 PM

My sister used to drive little old Latina ladies to the polls. Then she found out they were voting the way the priest told them to: against abortion.

The abortion issue, in particular the 'late term abortion' issue is killing Democrats. If Planned Parenthood took the lead, stipulating that abortion after 20 weeks should be illegal except in cases to save the mother's life or the fetus has died, they could neutralize the issue. Only 1% of abortions are after 20 weeks, most of those are to save the mother's life. To lose election after election for a few idiotic women who suddenly decide they want an abortion after 20 weeks is insanity.

If we can take the late term abortion issue away from the GOP, we can start winning again.

by Anonymousreply 162September 23, 2018 2:27 PM

R162, you speak sacrilege!

If a woman is in labor and she decided to not be preggers it’s her choice! Baby gotsa go!

/s

by Anonymousreply 163September 23, 2018 2:48 PM

"What are Democrats not doing to energize Latinos?"

Yawn, more concern trolling, most Latinos do NOT vote GOP, polls have shown this time and again. Stop pretending that most Latinos aren't Democrats.

by Anonymousreply 164September 23, 2018 3:42 PM

R99 is a registered retard.

Latinos vote Republicunt because of abortion. No other reason. Their children are sitting in literal cages and they’re voting for the monsters that put them there.

I hope Beto beats Cruz’s ass so hard he has to move back to Canada to get free health care to treat it.

by Anonymousreply 165September 23, 2018 4:04 PM

r165, most Latinos do not vote Republican.

by Anonymousreply 166September 23, 2018 4:09 PM

R162 is another concern troll, harping on about how the Democrats don't oppose "late-term abortion." Yeah, okay, we litigated this back in the 90s and Democrats made it completely obvious then and since that it's a very rare procedure done to save the life of the mother or her ability to have more children. At least our troll wasn't so obvious as to use the term "partial birth."

by Anonymousreply 167September 23, 2018 4:33 PM

Pod Save America says Dems aren’t sufficiently motivating Latinos and it’s a real problem

by Anonymousreply 168September 23, 2018 5:02 PM

Well, Republicans aren't motivating them, either, apparently

by Anonymousreply 169September 23, 2018 5:04 PM

R167 I'm not a concern troll. I lived most of my life in France and the UK where abortion is legal but there are much shorter limits on it. In the UK (the most liberal abortion laws) it is 24 weeks. In France, it's only 14 weeks.

While neither country has a high percentage of religious fanatics like the US does, there is little to no debate about abortion in either. The law in the US (if it were Planned Parenthood which led the charge) to limit it to 20 weeks and accentuate PP's work in providing birth control as opposed to abortion, would work wonders for the Democrats.

The GOP's use of late-term abortions (which are very rare but do exist) has effectively sapped votes from Dems. If it were accentuated that late term abortions only exist in extreme cases to save the mother's life, we could take back the narrative.

by Anonymousreply 170September 23, 2018 5:05 PM

Many political science experts note that Trump’s unpopularity is far from enough to suggest that Hispanic and Latino voters will turn out for Democrats in the fall.

“You can use this as a big ingredient for mobilization, but you can’t just depend on it in itself,” said Victoria DeFrancesco Soto, a lecturer who studies elections at the University of Texas Austin. Soto and others emphasize that Hispanic and Latino voters encompass a wide-ranging group with divergent attitudes on many issues, which means they don’t often vote as a unified bloc.

Democrats need to dial up their efforts on voter outreach if they want to channel this sentiment into actual support at the polls in November, experts say. The party has long banked on support from Hispanic and Latino voters, who could be key for flipping purple states and districts — but has struggled to actually get them to the polls on Election Day. This is, in large part, because it hasn’t invested enough resources into actually connecting with voters, according to experts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 171September 23, 2018 5:19 PM

ok a lot more like independents than Democrats Roberto Suro, USC, professor of policy and communications

The Quinnipiac poll is consistent with other recent surveys that show that most Latino voters hold negative views toward Trump, but by a much smaller margin than Democrats overall. Indeed, Latino views in this survey are closer to those of independents which, of course, defies the notion that Latinos are a steadfast Democratic constituency and the presumption that Trump’s immigration policies have alienated large numbers of Latinos.

On the [presidential fitness question], the Latino split 58/35 is much closer to that of independents’ 53/42 than that of Democrats’ 96/3. On the basic approval question, a third (33 percent) of Latino voters say they approve of Trump, about the same as independents (36 percent) and college-educated whites (39 percent) but a big distance from Dems (4 percent) or black people (9 percent). That third is about the GOP baseline of Latino votes in presidential elections. The president will be stronger in some geographic areas. For instance, in our NBC News/Marist poll of Florida earlier this summer, the president’s rating was divided among Latinos — 40 percent approved to 45 percent disapproved. When asked which party they wanted to control Congress, 33 percent said Republican and 36 percent said Democrat.

by Anonymousreply 172September 23, 2018 5:20 PM

The Trailer: How Texas Republicans beat the blue wave

Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Tex.) and Rep. Will Hurd (R-Tex.) were not on the ballot Tuesday, but they felt like winners. In an upset that rattled Texas Democrats, Republicans won a state senate seat that had voted reliably Democratic since the 19th century. In the final ballot test ahead of the midterm elections, there was no “blue wave” in sight — in other words, the outcome that Cruz and Hurd are hoping for in November. After a short campaign, Republican businessman Pete Flores defeated former Democratic congressman Pete Gallego in Texas’s 19th state senate district, which stretches from San Antonio to Big Bend National Park. Flores won by nearly 6 points — a major reversal of fortune for Democrats, who had regularly carried the district, who beat Flores soundly here in 2016, and who won 59 percent of the vote in a July jungle primary.

Democrats, who have been sounding alarms all year about the difficulty of turning out Latino voters, felt their stomachs sink — especially because their candidate seemed to take the election for granted, failing to call in reinforcements.

“Despite having previously been a Latino Victory Fund-endorsed candidate, he did not request our support for this race,” said Jorge Silva, a spokesman for the LVF, which has poured millions of dollars into Latino turnout elsewhere. “I'd caution people not read too much into this single outcome as it does not reflect what is happening across the state or the country.”

Flores’s victory will pay years of dividends for Texas Republicans, who will hold a supermajority of state senate seats — one they are unlikely to lose in November. Flores, meanwhile, will serve out the next two years and three months of a term vacated by Carlos Uresti, a Democrat who left office after being convicted of 11 felonies.

The Democrats' embarrassing defeat was a twist after scores of special elections elsewhere in the country had mostly gone their way. But it was not a complete surprise. A series of blunders hobbled the party and were capitalized on by Republicans, who controlled the timing of the election and had plenty to gain by turning out votes in territory that largely mirrors the 23rd House district, held since 2014 by Hurd.

“One side worked to increase its turnout, and the other side didn't,” said Democratic strategist Colin Strother, who worked for San Antonio legislator Roland Gutierrez, the Democratic runner-up in the primary. “I was telling everyone who would listen that we were in trouble here.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 173September 23, 2018 5:24 PM

The result, in addition to one more Republican seat in Texas’s legislature, was a dose of ice water for Texas Democrats. Since falling into minority-party status in 1994, Democrats had struggled to turn out Latino voters in midterm elections, and Republicans had stayed competitive for the Latino voters who did turn out — a trend that helped Abbott win a landslide in 2014.

Democrats were hoping to change that trajectory this year, with Lupe Valdez running to be Texas’s first Latina governor and Rep. Beto O’Rourke, who represents a heavily Latino district based in El Paso, running an unusually strong U.S. Senate race. But they had not cracked the code on how to turn out Latinos between San Antonio's Bexar County and the Rio Grande Valley. In 2014, just 116,297 total votes were cast in TX23 — and that was, by far, the highest turnout in any of the border districts. Hundreds of thousands of Latino Texas Democrats who vote in presidential elections simply stay home in midterms. And this week, Democrats learned again how big a problem that can be.

by Anonymousreply 174September 23, 2018 5:27 PM

Isn’t late term abortion illegal nationwide after congress outlawed it and SCOTUS said it was constitutional to ban it?

by Anonymousreply 175September 23, 2018 5:28 PM

Level of interest in midterms is 73% among seniors & 35% among young voters, per NBC/WSJ poll. Imagine U.S. politics if this was different.

by Anonymousreply 176September 23, 2018 9:52 PM

52% of Latinos are happy w/U.S. economy, but 65% oppose Trump and, by 3:1 margin, want Democrats to run Congress as a check on him. Also notable (and historically typical) that interest in midterms among young Latinos is low (NBC/WSJ)

by Anonymousreply 177September 23, 2018 10:00 PM

R175 some states have passed limits at 20 weeks on abortion - don't think it's gone to SCOTUS yet if this is constitutional - one more reason to not have Kavanaugh.

by Anonymousreply 178September 23, 2018 11:22 PM

Partial-Birth Abortion Ban Act of 2003 (Pub.L. 108–105, 117 Stat. 1201, enacted November 5, 2003, 18 U.S.C. § 1531,[1] PBA Ban) is a United States law prohibiting a form of late termination of pregnancy called "partial-birth abortion," referred to in medical literature by as intact dilation and extraction.[2] Under this law, "Any physician who, in or affecting interstate or foreign commerce, knowingly performs a partial-birth abortion and thereby kills a human fetus shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 2 years, or both." The law was enacted in 2003, and in 2007 its constitutionality was upheld by the U.S. Supreme Court, in the case of Gonzales v. Carhart.

by Anonymousreply 179September 23, 2018 11:32 PM

[quote]The abortion issue, in particular the 'late term abortion' issue is killing Democrats.

Now if only you had some actual data to back up that stupid remark. The Democratic position on abortion is not only not "killing" them, it's the position of a sizable majority of the voters. That's in stark contrast to the official Republican position, which is shared only by a small minority of fanatics.

by Anonymousreply 180September 24, 2018 12:09 AM

Partial birth abortion is rightly illegal

by Anonymousreply 181September 24, 2018 12:10 AM

Actually, it's wrongly illegal, and mostly pointless, since it didn't stop late-term abortions.

by Anonymousreply 182September 24, 2018 12:22 AM

R180 there are no figures, just propaganda from the well-funded anti-abortion nuts. The only way to counteract that is for Planned Parenthood to take the lead and do something bold like announcing they will only support abortions up to 20 weeks and are accentuating pregnancy prevention.

by Anonymousreply 183September 24, 2018 1:25 AM

Planned Parenthood already "accentuates" pregnancy prevention. What part of the phrase "planned parenthood" do you have trouble understanding?

As for the other, that "bold" move by Planned Parenthood could put the lives of women at risk and that is something they will not do, nor should they.

And yes, there are figures, since we have polling data that demonstrate that this issue just isn't hurting Democrats, which is why you're not seeing any kind of wholesale push by Republicans to run on that issue.

by Anonymousreply 184September 24, 2018 1:29 AM

No push by Republicans? Aren't you on twitter? Fucking hell the anti-abortion trolls on there overrun it. They're attacking Beto as he's pro-choice and bringing up all this late-term abortion shit.

by Anonymousreply 185September 24, 2018 3:25 AM

[quote]some states have passed limits at 20 weeks on abortion

Frankly, 5 months is plenty of time to make up your mind to keep it or not.

As to the later term abortions, states that ban them even in case of a medical threat to the woman's life should be sued to oblivion. And the Rethugs should be sued too. They act just like black market organ donor harvesters. Pro-life? What a joke.

by Anonymousreply 186September 24, 2018 7:18 AM

Waiting for new polls

by Anonymousreply 187September 24, 2018 2:44 PM

Beto was weak in the highly populated Rio Grande Valley which is a Democratic stronghold but with lousy voter turnout. According to this, the RGV is catching fire for Beto.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 188September 24, 2018 3:43 PM

RGV?

by Anonymousreply 189September 24, 2018 4:29 PM

Beto already has incredible support in the cities, so he needs to camp out along the border until the election. His ONLY chance of victory lies with heavy Latino turnout in South Texas.

I hope the Beto campaign and the DNC has plans for getting them to the polls in November. That's where they should be spending their money right now.

by Anonymousreply 190September 24, 2018 4:48 PM

"His ONLY chance of victory lies with heavy Latino turnout in South Texas."

Sadly, it aint happening.

Even with a surge, it's going to be crazy tough. Consider this: 395,000 more Texas Latino voters went to the polls in 2016 than did in the 2012 presidential election. But it still wasn't nearly enough to help democratic candidates in that state. What could help are young Latino voters - but they will need to come out in greater record numbers than we've ever seen before.

That said, anything can happen. But I'm just hoping that we're looking at this election and all the others as a long game. An opening salvo for what is yet to come. Because the facts right now point to another disappointing election cycle - maybe even two - before a real sea change is effected in favor of a rational, civil and just society.

by Anonymousreply 191September 24, 2018 5:05 PM

RGV = Rio Grande Valley. In Texas, we just call it "the Valley". He's campaigning with the Castro twins who were both too timid to run for Senate or Governor - a fatal lack of gumption. Julian C says he wants to run for President in 2020. He should have run for something statewide in 2018. His CV - Mayor of San Antonio and Secretary of HUD is just too weak.

In a speech yesterday, Beto called people supporting Trump's vanity wall 'pendejos' fucking assholes. Got an enormous cheer!

by Anonymousreply 192September 24, 2018 6:10 PM

Even if he loses, he's only 3 or 4 points behind in polls and hopefully that will be a wakeup call for the GOP...or at least Cruz. And Beto is getting nationwide attention now, so he's in a better position to run in 2020 if he doesn't win the Senate seat.

by Anonymousreply 193September 24, 2018 6:58 PM

", so he's in a better position to run in 2020 if he doesn't win the Senate seat."

'zactly

by Anonymousreply 194September 24, 2018 7:00 PM

He’s the most exciting politician out there. Nobody else comes close. He’s on fire.

by Anonymousreply 195September 24, 2018 9:12 PM

True, is only he were running in a decent state

by Anonymousreply 196September 24, 2018 10:51 PM

Who wore it best?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 197September 24, 2018 10:58 PM

I voted r197 for wit and wisdom

by Anonymousreply 198September 24, 2018 11:03 PM

On twitter, somebody took a pic of Lyin' Ted sitting in his seat in a plane looking at his phone. The person took a pic also of Cruz's phone (maybe to see if he was liking porn again). Lo and behold he was looking at a picture of Beto.

by Anonymousreply 199September 24, 2018 11:12 PM

[quote]No push by Republicans? Aren't you on twitter? Fucking hell the anti-abortion trolls on there overrun it. They're attacking Beto as he's pro-choice and bringing up all this late-term abortion shit.

Seriously? That's what you're going with? Twitter users? Sorry, but you really aren't very bright, are you?

by Anonymousreply 200September 25, 2018 2:47 AM

Any suggestions to donate to GotV efforts in that part of TX? I'd like to send funds there even in preference to Beto's campaign itself.

by Anonymousreply 201September 25, 2018 3:05 AM

Ted's going to whine now about how unfair it is that Beto believes survivors even when they accuse Republicans.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 202September 25, 2018 3:12 AM

Some guy yelled at Cruz: Beto is way hotter than you!

by Anonymousreply 203September 25, 2018 5:32 AM

Not gonna help in Texas

by Anonymousreply 204September 25, 2018 12:12 PM

[quote] ", so he's in a better position to run in 2020 if he doesn't win the Senate seat."

I love Beto, but it is a difficult argument to make that you should be the Democratic nominee for President when you were unable -- two years earlier -- to win statewide office in your home state.

Now, that said, Beto does have a gift for speaking and connecting with people that I don't think that we have seen in quite a while. I am hoping that he will eke out a victory against the despicable Ted Cruz and send him to the dustbin of history where he belongs. And use that as a springboard to the WH.

by Anonymousreply 205September 25, 2018 12:22 PM

R199 can you get someone to help you post that tweet? Let’s us know where it’s hanging you up.

by Anonymousreply 206September 25, 2018 12:22 PM

Lyin' Ted's in love

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 207September 25, 2018 5:35 PM

Beto comes to Cruz’s defense over restaurant incident. Very wise of him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 208September 25, 2018 7:27 PM

Jeanne Moos on CNN did a segment on Cruz looking at a picture of Beto.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 209September 26, 2018 3:40 PM

[quote]I love Beto, but it is a difficult argument to make that you should be the Democratic nominee for President when you were unable -- two years earlier -- to win statewide office in your home state.

It matters much more that the Dems have a charismatic candidate who can rally the base and independents against Cheeto in 2020 (assuming he's not impeached). Not winning a Senate seat in effing Texas wouldn't be such a drawback if he manages to get a lot more Dem vote to the polls.

by Anonymousreply 210September 26, 2018 9:45 PM

George H.W. Bush lost 2 Senatorial campaigns in Texas. Then he ran for President.

by Anonymousreply 211September 26, 2018 10:51 PM

HW ran for President and FAILED. He only made it to the White House because Reagan selected him to be his Vice President, and then he got the nomination with Reagan’s backing.

If the nominee wants to pick Beto for VP then that’s fine. But he’s not getting the nomination, and rightfully so.

by Anonymousreply 212September 26, 2018 10:59 PM

HW didn't have Beto's charisma and he was a Republican. Democrats fall in love on a first date.

by Anonymousreply 213September 27, 2018 12:20 AM

So Beto, who backs term limits, also backed the replace Pelosi faction in the last go round on that. But if I have to choose, thanks, Nance.

by Anonymousreply 214September 27, 2018 5:20 PM

Beto backs term limits: 4 terms max for Congressmen, 2 terms max for Senate.

by Anonymousreply 215September 27, 2018 5:57 PM

#CA22 GE: Devin Nunes (R-inc) 55% (+14) Andrew Janz (D) 41%

@surveyusa/@ABC30 9/20-25

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 216September 28, 2018 2:22 PM

Now is the time to start paying attention to polls

by Anonymousreply 217September 29, 2018 12:59 PM

Did y'all see the massive turnout for Willie's concert in Austin yesterday? It was a great event!

Willie even put together a new song!

Some numbers floating say 55k to 60k people but that doesn't really seems accurate.

by Anonymousreply 218September 30, 2018 10:41 PM

Yeah but are they going to vote?

by Anonymousreply 219September 30, 2018 10:48 PM

Let's hope so.

by Anonymousreply 220September 30, 2018 10:52 PM

Cause the old white dinosaurs who vote for Cruz will be at the booth like their life depends on it. The Republicans are banking that too many Beto supporters don’t want to be bothered. It’s one thing to attend a concert, it’s another to go through the boring machinations of civic engagement.

by Anonymousreply 221September 30, 2018 10:58 PM

R216 makes me sick. Nunes should be kicked to the curb.

by Anonymousreply 222September 30, 2018 11:30 PM

[quote] Nunes should be kicked to the curb.

Not so fast. He needs to spend several decades in the federal penitentiary for his felonious and treasonous behavior over the last two and a half years.

Then, when he gets out of prison, we can kick him to curb.

by Anonymousreply 223October 1, 2018 12:45 AM

unfortunately Nunes' district is VERY repub so he'll most likely win

by Anonymousreply 224October 1, 2018 2:28 AM

Betting is VERY heavy against Beto.

He’s close in the polling, but this from the Washington Post speaks to the odds against him: “No Democrat has won a statewide race in Texas in 24 years, which the Associated Press says is the nation’s longest losing streak.”

So what does the betting market say about O’Rourke’s chances? Let’s take a look.

Cruz is definitely the favorite, and a variety of predictions markets are all aligned with similar odds.

Offshore sportsbook Bovada has him at 67.7% (-210 odds), while politics speculation sites PredictIt and Smarkets have him at 65% and 69%, respectively.

The Senate model from Nate Silver’s FiveThirtyEight.com pegs Cruz’s chances for reelection at 69.8% currently.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 225October 1, 2018 3:39 PM

It all depends on voter turnout. Texas ranks 49th in voter turnout and it's people between 18-30 who don't vote. Neither do Hispanics. If Beto can get them to the polls, Texas goes blue.

by Anonymousreply 226October 1, 2018 3:52 PM

Ted Cruz and his dirty tricks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 227October 3, 2018 4:58 PM

More Ted Cruz dirty tricks

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 228October 3, 2018 5:00 PM

SMH 🤦‍♂️

by Anonymousreply 229October 3, 2018 11:05 PM

Have we forgotten it was Cruz's bunch who dug up the nudes of Melania? Trump thought he'd bought 'em all up.

by Anonymousreply 230October 4, 2018 2:06 AM

Quinnipiac Poll: Generic Ballot show Dems’ lead on Repubs has shrunk to only 1 point.

by Anonymousreply 231October 5, 2018 8:11 PM

When fucker said he did not care if Obama endorsed him or not...stupid fucker made a mistake.

by Anonymousreply 232October 5, 2018 8:15 PM

Well he is trying to win in Texas

by Anonymousreply 233October 5, 2018 8:16 PM

Most everyone already knows that Cruz is pretty much the worst person in Texas.

by Anonymousreply 234October 5, 2018 8:17 PM

Is that Trump/Cruz vs Avenatti/WhoKnows rally going to happen?

by Anonymousreply 235October 5, 2018 8:32 PM

At least hes sweating for once in his deplorable life.

by Anonymousreply 236October 5, 2018 8:34 PM

How are the polls?

by Anonymousreply 237October 5, 2018 8:35 PM

R237 Bad. Cruz is still in the lead by 3 to 4 points.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 238October 5, 2018 8:55 PM

well based on that there haven't been any new polls in 2 weeks

by Anonymousreply 239October 5, 2018 8:58 PM

Texas Republicans have passed laws which make registering to vote very tough. and they've passed a voter ID law. As we know from other states, these laws are designed to keep people who most likely would vote for Democrats, from voting.

Two years ago no one thought Cruz wouldn't be re-elected in Texas. The fact that Beto has gotten this far is a nice surprise for Dems and a bad one for Repugs. They actually have to spend money for the Cruz campaign now which at the very least hurts the RNC in the pocketbook.

by Anonymousreply 240October 5, 2018 9:33 PM

Even if Cruz squeaks out a win, his ambitions of being President are over. Unless he beats Beto by 20 points, as the least popular Republican in Republican Texas, stick a fork in him.

by Anonymousreply 241October 5, 2018 9:42 PM

[quote]and they've passed a voter ID law. As we know from other states, these laws are designed to keep people who most likely would vote for Democrats, from voting.

I don't get it. Rethugs have no problem registering to vote, and then actually voting. Why is it so hard for Dems to register / get the proper voter ID?

by Anonymousreply 242October 7, 2018 2:45 AM

I live in Texas and I’m currently trying to get my brother (who still has a Texas ID but lives in Denver) to register and vote by absentee ballot.

They make you fill out a form online, print it off, put a stamp on it and send it in. Or you can go to your local voting registration place in person. I’ve read that if you don’t fill out all the info on the online form (your driver’s license or SSN) apparently it can be tricky to get an absentee ballot.

by Anonymousreply 243October 7, 2018 3:05 AM

[quote]They make you fill out a form online, print it off, put a stamp on it and send it in.

Doesn't sound so hard. I guess the printing part needs an extra step - if it were me, I don't have a printer at home but I either use the one at work or the one at my local library.

People jump through more hoops for less. Get it together, Dem voters! If you need to fill out a form and mail it, how hard is that?!

R243, good for you for helping your brother out.

by Anonymousreply 244October 7, 2018 4:08 AM

R243 I have a couple out-of-state friends and family that I’m trying to get registered. Most of them don’t have a printer, so that part is proving to be the trickiest part.

On the other hand, it gives me more control and I can print it off and send it in myself so I know it gets done in time. :)

by Anonymousreply 245October 7, 2018 11:46 AM

If Beto is within striking distance, that promising.

by Anonymousreply 246October 7, 2018 1:07 PM

I have no idea who the presidential nominee will be but I am certain Beto O'Rourke will be VP.

by Anonymousreply 247October 7, 2018 1:18 PM

I hope

by Anonymousreply 248October 7, 2018 1:42 PM

FYI to everyone, the last day to register to vote in Texas is October 9.

by Anonymousreply 249October 7, 2018 7:24 PM

I'm tired of our side making excuses for why they can't register, or actually vote on election day.

These same people somehow managed to buy an iPhone and sign-up for wireless service, which is harder and more time consuming than registering and voting. And they say they don't have time to vote, even though they have 2 weeks+ to vote.

by Anonymousreply 250October 7, 2018 10:07 PM

Preach bro

by Anonymousreply 251October 7, 2018 10:11 PM

[QUOTE]These same people somehow managed to buy an iPhone and sign-up for wireless service, which is harder and more time consuming than registering and voting.

No it isn’t.

by Anonymousreply 252October 8, 2018 2:44 AM

A German friend of mine pointed out years ago that the right wing ALWAYS votes. They're motivated by hate and fear which are great motivators. When voter turnout is low, the right always wins. This is about turnout, folks.

by Anonymousreply 253October 8, 2018 2:45 AM

Exactly

by Anonymousreply 254October 8, 2018 3:13 PM

Texas voting registration is way up!

by Anonymousreply 255October 9, 2018 6:40 AM

Their radio ads are a thing of beauty, too. "Why do so many people dislike Ted Cruz as soon as they meet him? Saves time!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 256October 9, 2018 1:23 PM

Richard Linklater directed the ad and that's the actor who was in Bernie.

by Anonymousreply 257October 9, 2018 5:03 PM

On Facebook Beto is giving a speech at Rice Univ. It's fascinating. He doesn't just recycle the same stump speech over and over. He was talking about 2 black people from El Paso, a doctor and a high school valedictorian, who both went to the Supreme Court to overturn segregation and deprival of voting rights in 1960. El Paso was the first city in the Deep South to integrate its schools and university, public accommodations. Didn't know that.

by Anonymousreply 258October 9, 2018 8:03 PM

UT-El Paso, then known as Texas Western College, was the first college to win the NCAA basketball tournament with an all-black starting lineup in 1966.

by Anonymousreply 259October 10, 2018 4:53 AM

El Paso doesn't have a large black population.

by Anonymousreply 260October 10, 2018 6:56 AM

The guy the movie BlackkkKlansman was based on is from El Paso.

by Anonymousreply 261October 10, 2018 5:01 PM

I want him to win SO GODDAM BADLY . . . but I don't think he's going to.

by Anonymousreply 262October 10, 2018 5:10 PM

Khalid won at the AMAs yesterday. He's from El Paso and gave a shout out to his hometown and to Beto O'Rourke saying I love you.

Here's Beto on Chris Hayes last night. The interview must have taken place before Cruz chickened out of a debate with Beto.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 263October 10, 2018 6:04 PM

we still have almost a month to go but the polls have really moved towards Cruz now...I'm hoping Trump says or does something really awful soon to push voters over towards Beto again

by Anonymousreply 264October 10, 2018 6:25 PM

Beto and the Bunny

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 265October 10, 2018 7:21 PM

One of my black students proudly showed me the photo he took with Beto at a recent event. Let's hope that this is a good sign of things to come.

by Anonymousreply 266October 10, 2018 7:34 PM

I'm wondering how many of the kids at the events taking pics with him for Instagram will actually vote.

by Anonymousreply 267October 10, 2018 9:04 PM

There are always a lot of people registering voters at his events and I'm assuming that if you're willing to stand around in the Texas heat for several hours to listen to a candidate, you're willing to go to the polls.

by Anonymousreply 268October 10, 2018 9:41 PM

The trouble is that nobody knows. Pollsters are constantly tweaking their "likely voter" models and praying that they'll get it right. And this year is unlike the past few midterm elections, with the intensity of both parties through the roof. I don't think we've had any prominent off-cycle elections in Texas this year, so we don't have much data about turnout in that state.

The reality still is that Cruz is favored to win but if Beto can persuade those people attending his rallies and putting up his yard signs to actually get out and vote, he could potentially pull it off.

by Anonymousreply 269October 10, 2018 9:46 PM

Voter turnout is so dismal in Texas that if we see a big Democratic surge, it could put Beto over the top. We need Republican turnout to stay about the same as usual, which may happen since Cruz is so unlikable.

by Anonymousreply 270October 10, 2018 10:11 PM

You have to pay $10 for Beto yard signs, that's how he's financing his campaign. Cruz's signs are free. When you pay $10 for a yard sign, I'd say those people are going to the polls.

I went to a Get Out the Vote event. They said Travis County (Austin), Harris County (Houston) and Bexar (San Antonio) have to overperform, Dallas has to stay blue to compensate for rural asshole GOP votes. Also Hispanic voters in the Rio Grande Valley always vote Dem but never show up at the polls. If Hispanics and college kids vote, Dems are in.

by Anonymousreply 271October 10, 2018 11:26 PM

Blacks and Latinos are the most beaten up minority’s and still won’t vote. The Democrats might as well appeal to the dead.

by Anonymousreply 272October 10, 2018 11:56 PM

Cruz is +10 above margin of error. It’s over. He’s won. Beto can go.

by Anonymousreply 273October 11, 2018 12:13 AM

Still single digits, R273. It was always going to be a long shot but Beto is still in striking distance.

by Anonymousreply 274October 11, 2018 12:16 AM

Of course, this is R273's idea of thoughtful analysis:

[quote]Unfortunately for Dems the economy is better than ever and the unemployment rate is the lowest in decades. There really isn’t much for them to run on besides Russia.

by Anonymousreply 275October 11, 2018 12:17 AM

The economy is better than ever for the 1%. Which means another Republican crash is on the horizon.

by Anonymousreply 276October 11, 2018 12:19 AM

Ted is beloved in Texas. Can't fight that.

by Anonymousreply 277October 11, 2018 12:21 AM

I did not pay for either of my Beto signs and do not know anyone who did.

by Anonymousreply 278October 11, 2018 12:23 AM

Actually, R277, no, he isn't. His favorability rating isn't particularly good, although I had a bit of trouble finding recent data. But this is still Texas, a red state, and anyone with an (R) after their name is going to be favored.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 279October 11, 2018 12:28 AM

R277 Even the Republicans I know who are going to vote for him will admit that they don’t LIKE him.

by Anonymousreply 280October 11, 2018 12:31 AM

Cruz hasn't been +10 since the beginning of summer and he's never been +10 above MOE. Beto is still a long shot, but it's not impossible.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 281October 11, 2018 12:35 AM

So, Republicans will vote for a known sack of SHIT with an (R) by it's name. Got it. Hate them.

by Anonymousreply 282October 11, 2018 12:41 AM

Who do they poll? I'm assuming it's people who answer unknown numbers. Who does that? Old, bored people.

by Anonymousreply 283October 11, 2018 12:46 AM

Beto’s far too nice for Texas. If he was in CA, he’d win in a landslide. Beto needs to go after Cruz on taxes and spending.

by Anonymousreply 284October 11, 2018 3:27 AM

Nearly 40% of Latinos support Ted Cruz

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 285October 11, 2018 12:35 PM

The survey showed a much higher job approval rating in Texas for President Donald Trump than in most of the country, at 51 percent approval and 46 percent disapproval, suggesting he may not be as much of a drag on Cruz as Democratic strategists hoped.

by Anonymousreply 286October 11, 2018 12:37 PM

Today's survey also included results in the race between Gov. Greg Abbott and Democratic challenger Lupe Valdez, the former Dallas County sheriff. It showed a commanding 58 to 38 percent lead for Abbott among likely voters -- only the latest to show Abbott with an insurmountable lead.

by Anonymousreply 287October 11, 2018 12:38 PM

Here’s an article with a little bit more of a breakdown about who they are polling.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 288October 11, 2018 9:06 PM

Democrat Beto O'Rourke needs to energize Latinos if he’s going to beat Republican Ted Cruz in Texas.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 289October 12, 2018 1:07 AM

Problem with Latinos is a shitload of them are anti-abortion so they vote GOP. Beto's better off getting college kids off their asses and to the polls.

by Anonymousreply 290October 12, 2018 1:49 AM

Democrats need to stop making Roe an election year issue. It doesn’t get us any votes. The millennials who should care about it, don’t. Roe doesn’t help Democrats in the South.

by Anonymousreply 291October 12, 2018 2:14 AM

Democrats aren't making Roe an election year issue, R291. Their number one issue is health care.

by Anonymousreply 292October 12, 2018 2:18 AM

"Democrats need to stop making Roe an election year issue."

They're not and most Americans are pro-choice anyway. Btw, tons of millennials do care.....but I guess DLers always feel the need to insult millennials for no reason.

by Anonymousreply 293October 12, 2018 3:09 AM

Warren county, Ohio is the same way, r282.

Those stupid fuckwits would vote for one of carpetbagger Cruz' boogers if it had an (r) after it.

Bunch of racist fuckers.

by Anonymousreply 294October 12, 2018 3:17 AM

Cruz is creepy as they come. Hard to see Texas as a future leader of anything with him as it’s face

by Anonymousreply 295October 12, 2018 3:29 AM

Republicans screwed themselves because they cut back on same day registration in red states.

The recent surge in deplorable enthusiasm won’t be able to be exploited because it’s too late to register in many red states, a.k.a. toxic heaps of coal ash.

by Anonymousreply 296October 12, 2018 3:35 AM

R293 what an ignorant fool you are. They’re not voting. Roe is not going to get the Democrats the majority - ever!

by Anonymousreply 297October 12, 2018 4:10 AM

Democrats wake up only when it's too late, like after Trump's election. Their problem is that there isn't a sustained hate-narrative that fuels constant participation of a large core of Dem voters.

While the Rethugs have been so well conditioned by hate and fear mongering for decades, that it's enough to wave a few red flags like "socialism!!!!" and the idiots vote their heathcare away.

by Anonymousreply 298October 12, 2018 4:26 AM

If Roe doesn’t move voters, then something is gravely wrong with this country. Or the Democrats aren’t doing it right. How can this country be overwhelmingly pro-choice yet not care that Republicans are closer than ever to making abortion illegal? Who wants to live in a country where a woman can’t terminate her pregnancy, even in certain states? That should be far more important than the goddamn corporate tax rate.

by Anonymousreply 299October 12, 2018 4:31 AM

[quote]Roe is not going to get the Democrats the majority - ever!

Since the vast majority of voters agree with the Democratic position on this, that's not really a safe statement to make. In any case, your whole premise is wrong, since Democrats are not running on Roe and it's rather silly to pretend that they are.

by Anonymousreply 300October 12, 2018 4:38 PM

I dunno. It seems a lot of the prochoice population is nominally so. They say they are prochoice, but are often ambivalent or lukewarm about the matter. A significant number of people who are technically prochoice also feel that abortion is morally wrong, which may mean they aren’t particularly motivated by the issue.

by Anonymousreply 301October 12, 2018 5:00 PM

If fundraising = voter turnout and enthusiasm.

Beto has raised over 38 million in this quarter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 302October 12, 2018 5:08 PM

And the new Reuters/Ipsos poll has Beto ahead by 2. It's an outlier but I'll take it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 303October 12, 2018 5:13 PM

[QUOTE]If fundraising = voter turnout and enthusiasm.

Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn’t.

by Anonymousreply 304October 12, 2018 5:19 PM

I ordered a Beto bumper sticker even though I don't live in Texas. It's only 6 dollars and I'm happy I could help.

by Anonymousreply 305October 12, 2018 5:40 PM

Holy shit, that is amazing. And all Beto's fundraising is individual donations, he doesn't take PAC or lobbyist money. So it can be done, fuck Citizens United. You just need a candidate who excites people enough to donate.

by Anonymousreply 306October 12, 2018 6:47 PM

Times poll. Beto down by 8%.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 307October 12, 2018 6:54 PM

Latino voting rates are a bit low.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 308October 12, 2018 6:55 PM

He's trying his hardest, but i'm shocked by how apathetic Latino voters are in Texas - they're the plurality now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 309October 12, 2018 7:42 PM

“Every national Democratic campaign for the past few decades has raised hopes about higher turnout from Hispanics, often only to be disappointed. In two of this year’s key Senate races it seems to be happening again. The president’s “build the wall” rhetoric, the separation of children from their parents at the border, his enthusiasm for deportations: none of these things is sending enough Hispanic voters into the arms of either Beto O’Rourke in Texas or Bill Nelson in Florida. Mr O’Rourke is trailing Senator Ted Cruz by roughly five points, half the margin by which Trump won in 2018. Senator Nelson, the Democratic incumbent, is in a tight race with Rick Scott, his Republican challenger.”

by Anonymousreply 310October 12, 2018 7:43 PM

I don't get the "No one speaks to my community" thing.

Look at the policies. They're totally different and will affect you differently. There's one party that demonizes people of your ethnicity, and one that doesn't. Who cares if they don't "speak to you" personally or whatever?

Same w/ Millennials - they don't understand policy differences. They expect candidates to "speak to" them. WTF....

by Anonymousreply 311October 12, 2018 7:45 PM

I agree

by Anonymousreply 312October 12, 2018 7:57 PM

We need to dig deeper into just what the word “Latino” even means. They’re not just one homogeneous group of people. Forget the issues—we need to find out what makes them tick psychologically. Do they even want to be identified as Latino? Do they want to be white?

by Anonymousreply 313October 12, 2018 8:03 PM

[quote]RGV?

[bold]Rio Grande Valley[/bold], it's a Democratic stronghold in the Southern part of Texas that famously gets ignored by Quinnipiac and most mainstream surveys because of the strong index of Latinos. Los Angeles County and RGV are two of the largest Latino voting meccas that rarely get survey.

by Anonymousreply 314October 12, 2018 8:30 PM

R313, we've already done that. We have the data. We know they're complex, diverse, a construct.

NPR runs a story on it every week.

They don't vote.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 315October 12, 2018 8:31 PM

If we have a Latino presidential candidate, maybe they'll get more involved moving forward. Until then, no one "speaks to" them. All outreach is "inauthentic" and "insufficient" according to NPR, the Times, young Latino voters, etc.

Progressive Dems (Pod Save America, et al) can make the Dream Act and a path to citizenship the top issues, and they still won't vote.

by Anonymousreply 316October 12, 2018 8:35 PM

We have gone through this before, Latino voters do vote. Polling exits often under represent Latinos because Latinos are harder to poll and RGV in Texas is almost never polled. When you take into account RGV, the number rises to 70% of Latino voters in the state of Texas voting. Which coincides with the number from 2016 election where Latinos voted in 80% for Democrats in Texas.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 317October 12, 2018 8:37 PM

Thanks, R317. I take it back then

by Anonymousreply 318October 12, 2018 8:39 PM

The only issue that would get millennials to the polls is the Draft.

by Anonymousreply 319October 12, 2018 9:10 PM

All I keep hearing is Cruz is 10 points ahead. I thought the one with the most money wins. Is this all for nothing?

by Anonymousreply 320October 12, 2018 9:26 PM

[quote] but I guess DLers always feel the need to insult millennials for no reason.

Not true... there are many good reasons to insult the dumbest, laziest generation.

by Anonymousreply 321October 12, 2018 9:28 PM

What kind of an asshole would a person have to be to vote for Ted Cruz over Beto?

by Anonymousreply 322October 12, 2018 9:33 PM

a Texan

by Anonymousreply 323October 12, 2018 9:55 PM

[quote]All I keep hearing is Cruz is 10 points ahead. I thought the one with the most money wins. Is this all for nothing?

The reason you keep hearing that is because that is all that Republicans and trolls want you to hear. They don't want you to hear about today's poll that had Beto ahead, or that the aggregate polling number is more in the range of 5 to 6%, which is possible to overcome in a wave election.

The usual disclaimer applies: Cruz is favored to win. But that that doesn't mean that this election is out of reach.

by Anonymousreply 324October 12, 2018 10:09 PM

Texas latinos. Oi vey. It's generational, aspirational, and old-school party boss shit. One generation away doesn't want to be associated with immigrants, illegals. Often vote republican and name their kids Kevin. Solid middle class/affluent latinos (even first generation) same thing. Desperate to be seen as white. The Valley votes are controlled by party bosses, and Beto didn't kiss their asses. They dissed him. I follow Beto on Instagram. He clearly has a plan to go after nonvoters, first time voters, and smart people, aside from usual Dems. Let's hope they're are enough of those.

by Anonymousreply 325October 12, 2018 10:16 PM

"Not true... there are many good reasons to insult the dumbest, laziest generation."

ROFLMAO, it was old timers like you who voted for Trump, not "millennials" - anyway the retarded eldergays here don't even know what a millennial is. They think millennials are teens and college kids when, in reality, the oldest millennials are pushing forty.

by Anonymousreply 326October 12, 2018 10:35 PM

[quote]I thought the one with the most money wins. Is this all for nothing?

In his new podcast Chris Cillizza (sp?) explains why, even with this much money raised, Beto still doesn't have much of a chance of winning. That may be why is latest ads are him in handsome closeup talking the issues in general terms, not related to Texas at all. He may be able to use that money for a future race outside of Texas - which is where it will have to be - but I don't know.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 327October 12, 2018 10:43 PM

Chris Cillizza is the biggest fucking idiot on TV news, even dumber than Chuck Todd. I ignore everything he says.

by Anonymousreply 328October 12, 2018 11:12 PM

The talk in Texas political circles is that Beto is running too nice of a campaign for rough and tumble Texas. They say he has to start hitting Cruz hard if he wants to win. His Obama-style campaign is not working.

He better come out swinging at the CNN townhall are he's going to lose.

by Anonymousreply 329October 12, 2018 11:17 PM

Beto needs to start hitting back. Cruz is running attack ads full of lies. He is the most disgusting piece of shit.

by Anonymousreply 330October 12, 2018 11:35 PM

You can never beat assholes by being an asshole. They always out-asshole you. You have to sideswipe them or be smarter or stealthier. Nice has nothing to do with it. That said: That Beto works this hard on sheer guts and courage inspires me everyday.

by Anonymousreply 331October 12, 2018 11:38 PM

I am not sure Beto going Ted would work. Texans are assholes on issues as much as personality.

by Anonymousreply 332October 12, 2018 11:40 PM

R332 at the same time Texans pride themselves on being courteous and friendly - and Cruz is neither.

by Anonymousreply 333October 13, 2018 12:10 AM

24 days left.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 334October 13, 2018 2:16 AM

Sigh. From today.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 335October 13, 2018 2:22 AM

Cruz pulled out of a CNN Town Hall this week. Now he is claiming he didn't pull out, Beto refused to debate him. He's pulling a classic Trump projection move. He is absolutely despicable.

by Anonymousreply 336October 13, 2018 3:49 AM

Cruz is gay, right?

by Anonymousreply 337October 14, 2018 11:43 PM

[quote] If fundraising = voter turnout and enthusiasm. Beto has raised over 38 million in this quarter.

Then it's in the bag. Money plus skateboards win every time. They show you are senatorial.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 338October 15, 2018 12:10 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 339October 15, 2018 12:53 AM

And then all we'll hear from Trump and Cruz is how much Beto spent and couldn't beat him. It will be insufferable.

by Anonymousreply 340October 15, 2018 1:19 AM

Trump better hope Beto wins the Senate seat. If he doesn't - with his fundraising power, he'll be logically at the top of the list for the Dem nomination.

by Anonymousreply 341October 15, 2018 2:56 AM

All this money won’t make a difference because Beto won’t go negative. That’s hurting him badly — maybe fatally.

I’ve also read that many Hispanics won’t register to vote because they’re worried about ICE and immigration. even if they’re legal, they worry about close family members who aren’t.

by Anonymousreply 342October 15, 2018 3:05 AM

Heck, many Hispanic American citizen are currently detained by ICE.

by Anonymousreply 343October 15, 2018 3:11 AM

Register them in ICE Camps.

by Anonymousreply 344October 15, 2018 3:28 AM

[quote]Trump better hope Beto wins the Senate seat. If he doesn't - with his fundraising power, he'll be logically at the top of the list for the Dem nomination.

And once again, if he can't beat the most hated man in the Senate, what makes you think he could beat the most hated man in the world? Trump doesn't have any reason to fear anyone. All his life he has been rewarded for the worst behavior. What makes you think that will change anytime soon?

by Anonymousreply 345October 15, 2018 8:32 AM

[quote]if he can't beat the most hated man in the Senate, what makes you think he could beat the most hated man in the world?

Texas is Texas. They vote for Republicans for Senate. It's what they do. If Donald Trump had been running against Hillary for the New York senate seat instead, he would have lost. Yet regrettably he won the nationwide election. It's just a different electorate.

by Anonymousreply 346October 15, 2018 8:42 AM

Beto is more of a Texan than Cruz is. Cruz is no more a reflection of Texas than Trump is of crass and provincial New Yorkers. Oh wait, never mind.

by Anonymousreply 347October 15, 2018 10:42 AM

Lyin' Ted would be easy to run negative add against. He has loads of baggage.

With Beto behind, he has to go on the attack to improve his chances.

by Anonymousreply 348October 15, 2018 11:03 AM

[quote] Beto O'Rourke rides skateboard into rally

dood

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 349October 15, 2018 2:15 PM

From today

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 350October 15, 2018 3:18 PM

Haha, there's another one of these "Come on... TED" ads. Apparently there are a few more to be rolled out still. I love this guy so much!

I need him to stick around after the midterms and start doing some "Come on... TRUMP" ads.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 351October 16, 2018 12:20 AM

Beto has refused to go negative while Lyin' Ted's flooding TV with his ads full of lies.

by Anonymousreply 352October 16, 2018 2:54 AM

Nothing worse than a holier than thou politician who refuses to go negative. Sucks for the people working on the Beto campaign—they’re doomed to defeat.

Nothing works better than negative ads. And for anyone who says he’s following some sort of Obama script, they better check the record. Ask Mitt Romney how positive Obama was with him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 353October 16, 2018 3:35 AM

LOL r353 that's not a negative ad and not by the Obama campaign

by Anonymousreply 354October 16, 2018 3:41 AM

Ted Cruz played Adam in a mime performance of the Christian creation story when he was in high school. Is this really the fight that he wants to have?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 355October 16, 2018 3:45 AM

He was a Christian mime?! LOL!!!!

by Anonymousreply 356October 16, 2018 4:14 AM

They’re reporting that Beto won’t “share” his 38 Million dollars with other Dem candidates in other states.

LOL, why the fuck should he? At this point he’s doing this completely without Dem help, now they want his money?? Fuck them

by Anonymousreply 357October 16, 2018 3:56 PM

CNN: Cruz is more popular and holds steady lead over O’Rourke

A new CNN poll conducted by SSRS found Cruz ahead of O’Rourke, 52 to 45 percent, among likely voters. Nine percent of voters say it’s possible they’ll change their mind in the final weeks.

Both Senate candidates have positive favorability ratings. Cruz is viewed favorably by 51 percent, while 41 percent view him unfavorably. Meanwhile, 45 percent view O’Rourke positively, while 36 percent don’t have a favorable opinion.

by Anonymousreply 358October 16, 2018 5:37 PM

Beto’s favorability sunk after he sided with the NFL kneelers, another incredibly stupid move on his part. That’s basically when the tide began to turn in Cruz’s favor.

by Anonymousreply 359October 16, 2018 5:40 PM

Didn't his polls actually go up immediately after the NFL kneelers incident? That's when he was within 5 points of Cruise in one and besting by a point in another poll.

It's a shame that he doesn't attempt some negative polls, specifically addressing Cruz's refusal to hold town halls for his broader constituency, Cruz's tendency to meet with constituents who are heavy contributors in pricey steakhouses, and his vote to cut veterans' benefits, and his failure to visit more than a handful of TX counties while he managed to hit every singe county in Iowa.

I'm sure that people who sent checks specifically for the O'Rourke campaign would be pleased to hear that their money is being diverted elsewhere, particularly if they are Texans.

by Anonymousreply 360October 16, 2018 6:34 PM

R357 the asshole at the NY Times who bitched about Beto not giving money to Democratic Senate candidates in other states neglected to mention Beto has given over $1million to down ballot candidates in Texas. The DNC gives zero money to Texas Dems and treat us like an ATM. Fuck 'em.

As for the polls, they're polling "likely voters", i.e. people who answer unknown phone numbers on landlines and who voted in 2016. Old people do that, nobody else does.

by Anonymousreply 361October 16, 2018 8:42 PM

Yeah the Democratic Party constantly hits Texans up for money, but almost none of it goes back to the state.

by Anonymousreply 362October 16, 2018 9:07 PM

R357/R361 there isn't anything too petty for a NYT reporter to smear a Democrat with.

by Anonymousreply 363October 17, 2018 12:05 AM

"Beto’s favorability sunk after he sided with the NFL kneelers"

No, it didn't. And anyone who votes based on an issue that doesn't affect their lives is severely retarded.

by Anonymousreply 364October 17, 2018 3:12 AM

Sigh.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 365October 17, 2018 4:56 PM

If Beto had only skateboarded into the debate with rolled up sleeves the rest wouldn't have mattered. The crowd would have been too dazzled with the Kennedyesqueness of it to care about mere words.

by Anonymousreply 366October 17, 2018 5:13 PM

He was great in the debate. I love how the allegedly liberal media are attacking him since he made $38million and wouldn't give it to DNC establishment Democrats in the Rust Belt. Fuck 'em. Beto made Cruz look even more miserable.

by Anonymousreply 367October 17, 2018 6:00 PM

I do feel there's this "thing" in mainstream media to be extra hard on a liberal candidate. The bar seems to be so much lower for conservatives. As long as they don't use some kind of slur, they aren't criticized. The liberal candidate has to bend over backwards, do back flips and perform a high wire act just to be deemed "even" with his/her conservative opponent.

How many times will we hear "what do the liberals stand for other than opposing Trump?" My answer is "what did conservatives stand for in 2010 other than opposing Obama?" They won on anti-Obama anger. Why can't liberals just do the same and the media accept it?

by Anonymousreply 368October 17, 2018 6:12 PM

Absolutely AGREE with you, R368. I don't get it.

A lot of journalists are liberals AND of the neurotic personality type. I'm thinking they project their intense self-criticism and navelgazing outwards towards (fellow) Democrats and liberals. It's like they haven't figured everything out as individuals when it comes to politics and culture, and take that as huge weaknesses, and so they look for it, repeatedly, in those they identify with. But in their minds, conservatives are just inherently rude and bombastic, and so they just accept that, and the only thing of note is when a conservative seems to be playing at being "thoughtful" or "bipartisan" (e.g., Ryan or Flake - complete bullshitters).

by Anonymousreply 369October 17, 2018 6:17 PM

The NY Times started it. Asshole Jonathan Martin wrote an article quoting "Democratic sources" criticizing Beto that he wasn't giving his $$ to the other (mostly asshole) Democratic Senate candidates. Like, it's his fault they're so lame? Turns out Beto had already given over a million to down ballot Dems in Texas. The DNC and Skeletor Perez give zero money to Texas, they spend all their time courting the working class whites who voted for them 20 years ago and sucking up to Bernie Sanders.

The NY Times I don't trust. They're still trying to curry favor with Trump and the rightwing. Fuck 'em.

by Anonymousreply 370October 17, 2018 6:58 PM

He did get a ”Lyin’ Ted”in last night.

by Anonymousreply 371October 17, 2018 8:10 PM

CNN predicts easy Cruz win.

CNN devoted a segment to explaining why Democratic Senate candidate Beto O’Rourke is losing ground against Republican Sen. Ted Cruz of Texas on “New Day” Wednesday and said Cruz is likely to be reelected.

“We have a new CNN poll among likely voters, we have this 7-point split right here — 52 percent to 45 percent. The question is, why is Cruz leading over O’Rourke by such a wide margin?” CNN senior political writer and analyst Harry Enten said.

“One reason why is that O’Rourke is, simply put, not getting his voters out. One way we can tell that is by looking at all registered voters, and we see actually that Cruz has only a 5-point lead among there, which means the people who are actually going to show up are less likely to support O’Rourke than Cruz.”

Enten cited a New York Times poll from September showing an 8-point margin for Cruz among likely voters and said lower Latino turnout will likely give Cruz a boost.

“Latino voters — who are a key voting bloc in Texas, who are supporting O’Rourke — they make up 27 percent of all voters. But among the likely electorate, those who are actually going to turn out, they only make up 18 percent. So that is a huge drop and that is hurting O’Rourke in the polls,” Enten said.

Enten also said O’Rourke is more likely to find die-hard supporters in New York City than in the state of Texas.

“I think Beto O’Rourke has more enthusiastic supporters in New York City than he probably does in Texas, based upon everything I have seen with the money coming in, versus what the actual polling numbers are showing,” he said.

Enten predicted Cruz would pull out a 4-point victory over O’Rourke in November.

by Anonymousreply 372October 17, 2018 8:20 PM

At least he gave him hell. If it was inevitable that Beto would lose, at least he got in a good “Lyin Ted” for good measure.

Give him absolutely hell between now and nov.

by Anonymousreply 373October 17, 2018 8:25 PM

Heidi Heitkamp at least had some balls on her way out and voted no on the perv. Her campaign made a subsequent mistake but the bottom line is that she voted no.

by Anonymousreply 374October 17, 2018 9:08 PM

Cruz is leading because who the fuck are they polling? People who answer unknown phone numbers. I get 20 robocalls a day. Only idiots or old people do. Also Beto hasn't had any TV ads - Cruz is flooding in his trashy lies and attacks. You can't just campaign on social media. Plenty of people aren't on it.

by Anonymousreply 375October 17, 2018 9:56 PM

R368/R369, while some journalists may be liberal themselves, the corporations and the bosses they work for sure as fuck aren't. There is a vested interest in maintaining a certain power structure in this country and the 4th Estate is all in.

by Anonymousreply 376October 17, 2018 10:29 PM

[quote] O’Rourke is, simply put, not getting his voters out

Um...what?

by Anonymousreply 377October 17, 2018 10:31 PM

[quote] Enten also said O’Rourke is more likely to find die-hard supporters in New York City than in the state of Texas.

[quote] “I think Beto O’Rourke has more enthusiastic supporters in New York City than he probably does in Texas, based upon everything I have seen with the money coming in, versus what the actual polling numbers are showing,” he said.

Harry Enten might think that but then again he's not in Texas, where the enthusiasm for Beto is unprecedented.

by Anonymousreply 378October 17, 2018 10:35 PM

I really hope is, R378. Ted Cruz is a terrible guy. Nobody wants him. Maybe there will be a surprise Beto win.

by Anonymousreply 379October 17, 2018 11:04 PM

Is Beto talking about the disastrous repub tax bill? Surely most people in Texas don't like it since most of them aren't 1% oil heirs

by Anonymousreply 380October 17, 2018 11:18 PM

R380 so far Beto has 3 ads critical of Cruz - they're not attack ads per se. One is about Cruz using the tax bill to rob public education to create vouchers. Beto also hit on Betsy DeVos and how many Texas teachers have to work 2 jobs to get by. He's really going after that teacher vote.

A second one reminds people Cruz voted repeatedly to get rid of healthcare including the pre-existing conditions inclusion.

A third one is about immigration and about how Cruz was the only Senator voting against discussing immigration reform in the Senate.

by Anonymousreply 381October 18, 2018 12:47 AM

R381 those sound look good ads...I wonder how Texans are reacting to them

by Anonymousreply 382October 18, 2018 1:06 AM

Beto's getting a solid hour on CNN tomorrow night. A Town Hall. It was supposed to be for both Beto and Cruz and then Cruz pulled out because he doesn't like the Town Hall format (he has never in 6 years had a Town Hall) and refused to take questions from the audience which hadn't been pre-screened. So, Lyin' Ted figured CNN would cancel. They didn't. Beto's a rock star and they figured the ratings are worth it.

So then Lyin' Ted pretended Beto had pulled out because he wouldn't do the debate Cruz suddenly claimed he wanted. Lyin' Ted. Then the Libertarian candidate a nonentity who will get the standard 2% sued CNN because they had to include him. The Libertarian - a guy named Dykeman (I kid you not) didn't bother trying to get included in the other 2 debates - just CNN. So obviously Cruz is paying him to stir shit.

by Anonymousreply 383October 18, 2018 1:19 AM

Richard Linklater's "C'mon Ted" commercials are hilarious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 384October 18, 2018 3:25 AM

Linklater directed that? Awesome!

by Anonymousreply 385October 18, 2018 2:56 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 386October 18, 2018 2:58 PM

Cruz knows it’s too late in the game for all that. This isn’t his first rodeo. That’s why he joked about Beto’s advisers instructing him to go on the attack in the last debate. The game’s already over as far as Cruz is concerned.

by Anonymousreply 387October 18, 2018 3:00 PM

I think a lot of Beto's donations are coming from out of state, too. I think it looks terrible that he raised all this $$$ and will still lose.

by Anonymousreply 388October 18, 2018 3:21 PM

All of Cruz's money comes from out of state, R388 -- it's all from the Koch Bros., Sheldon Adelson, Robert Mercer, corporations, ultra-conservative super PACs, and other dark money sources. (Not to mention Russian oligarchs and murderous Saudi royals with blood on their hands, too.)

Beto's campaign is funded by small donations from individual citizens, including me!

by Anonymousreply 389October 18, 2018 3:30 PM

"I think it looks terrible that he raised all this $$$ and will still lose."

He's a Dem running in a red state - how is it going to be terrible if he loses when no one expected him to win, anyway?

by Anonymousreply 390October 18, 2018 3:31 PM

How are the polls looking?

Texans are weird. They LIKE Cruz? Fuck... 51% favorability (link somewhere above).

by Anonymousreply 391October 18, 2018 3:35 PM

The polls are valid but almost moot this year given the record registration for dems for 2018. This fact does not increase ratings, so don’t expect to see that on t.v.

Polls measure favor, not turnout.

The ones that do measure turnout don’t really have a recent model for this type of unique election.

So basically it’s all going to come down to who shows up.

The repugs know this and that’s why they have turned all their efforts to voter suppression.

by Anonymousreply 392October 18, 2018 3:55 PM

I remember when Texas was Blue and California was Red.

by Anonymousreply 393October 18, 2018 4:24 PM

R391 Yes, sadly. The new polls are 4 to 7 points in favor of Cruz. Texans are fucking idiots.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 394October 18, 2018 6:38 PM

Dems have been getting up around 8% turnout bump.

Plus the CNN town hall will be another 2-3 percent bump.

He’s still in the game.

by Anonymousreply 395October 18, 2018 6:47 PM

Just made plans to be in Texas on election day to visit my elderly parents. (Mail-in my CA ballot before taking off.) I refuse to be dark and cynical. To the jerk who thinks losing looks bad, I think not supporting a hardworking, committed, and intelligent REAL Texan who has been campaigning for almost 2 years straight -- to the bitter end, without at least a fucking smile looks bad.

by Anonymousreply 396October 18, 2018 6:47 PM

There was an article in Russia Today about this race - criticizing Beto and supporting Cruz. Well, well, well. Surprising.

If millennials show up to vote - they usually don't - Beto wins. Simple as that.

More of Beto's donations come from Texas than Cruz's do.

by Anonymousreply 397October 18, 2018 6:48 PM

[quote] no one expected him to win

𝙉𝙊𝙒 no one expected him to win? A couple weeks ago datalounge saw his victory as merely an easy stepping stone to the presidency.

by Anonymousreply 398October 18, 2018 6:49 PM

R398 Sugar, Texas hasn't elected a Democrat statewide in 25 years. But if anyone can do it, Beto can. And if he can get enough assholes not to vote straight GOP ticket (which old people do) he can get down ballot Dems elected.

by Anonymousreply 399October 18, 2018 6:52 PM

[quote] Also Beto hasn't had any TV ads

What?! What has the $38M been spent on? Renting venues and transportation costs? I assume TV ads are the costliest aspect of campaigning.

I'm curious to know the methodology for the various polls -- there can be so many approaches. Are the random digit dial with a screener question "how likely are you to vote?" which would capture new registrants, or are names taken from voter rolls in the last election with screener "how likely are you to vote?" Voter rolls without screener question. Different variations could come up with quite discrepant findings.

by Anonymousreply 400October 18, 2018 6:57 PM

Protester filmed screaming 'I hate Ted Cruz,' tearing up signs in Houston neighborhood

A vandal screaming “I hate Ted Cruz” was caught on camera tearing up the Texas senator’s campaign signs in a Houston neighborhood while being confronted by a pro-Cruz resident.

“I’m just gonna take them down,” the man calmly says at the start of the video as he begins going after the Cruz campaign yard signs in the Montrose neighborhood of Houston, Texas.

Alfredo Ramos, who posted the encounter on social media, can be heard telling the man that the sign was his property.

He told Fox News that the incident started after the man in the video cheered on a homeless person for tearing down his sign and "threw a small American flag on the street."

"As I went to reinstall the sign and flag, the guy decided to walk across the street from our local coffee shop to initiate the confrontation," Ramos continued. "This culture of intolerance and behavior of aggressive confrontation is getting out of hand. What I want to remind people is that your vote is your voice. No need to go nuts."

The vandal then backed off and went for a sign across the road. Ramos warned the man against destroying his neighbor’s property, saying he’s a “gun owner.”

“Oh. I’m a gun owner, too,” the man replied. “If you guys shoot me over that, that would be great. That would be really, like — an appropriate response,” he says as he goes to snatch another pro-Cruz yard sign.

“You know, I have about a hundred of these; I’m about to put more out,” Ramos said.

“Well, all right. I’ll feel better about them,” the vandal says as he begins destroying the signs. He then suddenly turns around and screams: “I hate Ted Cruz! I hate Ted Cruz! I hate Ted Cruz!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 401October 18, 2018 9:13 PM

[quote]There was an article in Russia Today about this race - criticizing Beto and supporting Cruz. Well, well, well. Surprising

Ofc an outlet called RUSSIA TODAY will be more concerned with the Texas senate race, not with news about, I don't know, Russia today.

by Anonymousreply 402October 18, 2018 9:26 PM

That guy was probably a plant. Don’t put anything past the Canadian menace.

by Anonymousreply 403October 18, 2018 9:33 PM

The leather motorcycle jacket and yellow pants are a nice touch. Kind of hot for leather this time of year.

by Anonymousreply 404October 18, 2018 9:38 PM

There are two reasons that I am dubious of this story, R401: 1) the source is Fox News, and 2) I can't imagine that any Ted Cruz supporters live in The Montrose.

by Anonymousreply 405October 19, 2018 12:42 AM

[quote]A couple weeks ago datalounge saw his victory as merely an easy stepping stone to the presidency.

Bullshit. Just about everyone on these threads has been saying the same thing: that Beto is a longshot.

by Anonymousreply 406October 19, 2018 12:58 AM

Isn't Montrose the gay 'hood of Houston? I swear I've been to bars there. One, oddly, called Lauderdale?

by Anonymousreply 407October 19, 2018 1:42 AM

R401, seems legit!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 408October 19, 2018 1:52 AM

The guy ripping up Cruz signs? There are hardly any Cruz signs - especially in Montrose. That's another dirty trick from Cruz's campaign manager the king of dirty tricks Jeff Roe. I still think the people harassing Cruz in a restaurant were probably paid by Cruz.

by Anonymousreply 409October 19, 2018 5:25 PM

I highly recommend the podcast [italic]Underdog: Beto vs. Cruz[/italic], which you can find on iTunes, and probably elsewhere as well. It is produced by [italic]Texas Monthly[/italic] magazine, and there are two episodes so far, as of Thursday morning.

by Anonymousreply 410October 19, 2018 5:30 PM

Link for the [italic]Underdog[/italic] podcast on iTunes, below.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 411October 19, 2018 5:32 PM

The Houston Chronicle, a business Republican paper which had endorsed Cruz in 2012, has severe buyer's remorse, rips Lyin' Ted into tiny bits and endorses Beto. Folks, this is enormous - the Chronicle's the biggest paper in Texas.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 412October 19, 2018 7:50 PM

it's huge but remember how many newspapers didn't endorse Trump...

I don't know if the public still cares about newspaper endorsements anymore.

Beto would be a star in a lot of other states but Texas is so Texas

by Anonymousreply 413October 19, 2018 10:26 PM

San Antonio paper has endorsed Beto.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 414October 19, 2018 11:20 PM

Ted Cruz who had the fucking nerve to whine about a lack of civility AND who claims to be a constitutional scholar on locking up Beto O'Rourke..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 415October 24, 2018 12:11 AM

WOW did he really do that?

Come on Texas. What has this crook done for you?

Nothing.

by Anonymousreply 416October 24, 2018 5:25 AM

Cruz appeals to dumbass redneck racists - unfortunately, quite a lot of them in Texas.

by Anonymousreply 417October 24, 2018 5:56 PM

But what has in done for them in 6 years? I don’t get it.

by Anonymousreply 418October 24, 2018 6:07 PM

R418, The Texas economy has been booming for several years now, and that's why Cruz is able to hold on. Believe me, if the economy weren't good, Beto would win.

by Anonymousreply 419October 24, 2018 6:42 PM

And Cruz has absolutely nothing to do with Texas' economy.

by Anonymousreply 420October 24, 2018 8:35 PM

I still haven’t heard what he’s done for the average Texan.

For that matter, deplorables in all states are getting a raw deal.

They have all 3 branches and are getting squat in return. Here, have some more tariffs. Have some more inflation.

by Anonymousreply 421October 24, 2018 8:57 PM

Mouthbooger needs be shown the exit.

by Anonymousreply 422October 24, 2018 9:15 PM

Yesterday, Lyin' Ted had an event at Sun City, a retirement community full of financially comfortable but not rich, miserable old gits.

Some old lady yelled out about Beto "Lock Him Up". So Lyin' Ted said they could lock Beto up with Hillary in the same cell.

Today, GOP lackey Chuck Todd interviewed Cruz about 'civility'. Did Todd ask Cruz about locking Beto and Hillary up? Of course not, Todd is loathe to be critical of rightwing assholes. Then Lyin' Ted blames the bombings on Maxine Waters and Cory Booker. Hmm, what do they have in common? I wonder. Todd is an absolute idiot.

Todd is in Dallas in a crowded restaurant and he starts out 'Beto's more popular in NY than in Texas though I'm surprised how popular he is in Texas'. He interviewed 2 women journalists from Texas trying to insinuate of course Cruz would win and they both flatly stated it depends on turnout. Whenever the women said something good for Beto, the whole crowd starting whooping. Todd was very disappointed.

by Anonymousreply 423October 25, 2018 1:01 AM

Ole Lyin' Ted........

by Anonymousreply 424October 25, 2018 1:21 AM

Ipsos says 5 points. At end of article.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 425October 25, 2018 1:31 AM

There are now 2 murals in Texas of Beto as Superman. Eat your heart out Lyin' Ted.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 426October 25, 2018 2:10 AM

Superman has much in common with Senator Beto. Both are fantasies.

by Anonymousreply 427October 25, 2018 2:47 AM

Ted Cruz represents the very worst that Texas has to offer. He's unfortunately a very fitting politician from that state.

I just hope people are energized to vote for Beto but Texas is so pathetic

by Anonymousreply 428October 25, 2018 3:10 AM

R428 the massive early voter turnout in Texas (and we rank 50th in voter turnout) has me feeling optimistic.

by Anonymousreply 429October 25, 2018 3:32 AM
by Anonymousreply 430October 25, 2018 3:05 PM

[quote] They have all 3 branches

Indeed. They whined about Obama blocking them at every turn. But now, they've pretty much obliterated the rules and gamed the system so they are in complete control of all three branches of government. And yet, what have they accomplished in two years? A massive tax giveaway to the rich that has exploded the deficit, and two stolen Supreme Court seats (plus a lot of lower federal court judges). Beyond that they haven't done a damn thing worth running on. "Reducing regulations" is code for obliterating clean air, clean water, and whatever environmental restrictions we had in place in the hope of averting a near-term disaster with global climate change.

The Orange Cheatolini is running around the country as if he's still running for office. He's good at running his loud mouth -- not so good at actually governing. Surprise, surprise, surprise.

by Anonymousreply 431October 25, 2018 4:08 PM

Another major Texas newspaper endorsement for Beto, this time from the [italic]Dallas Morning News[/italic]! The major daily newspapers in Texas' three largest cities -- Houston, San Antonio, and Dallas -- have now endorsed Beto, which is notable, as the ones in Dallas and Houston tend to favour GOP candidates in statewide and national races.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 432October 25, 2018 4:54 PM

I see the Times is doing its close-to-election-day-cut-down-Dems "both sides" whataboutism today with a nasty article about Beto. Won't post the article because I don't want to spread it.

by Anonymousreply 433October 29, 2018 12:22 PM

So I read the story. It's the fucking NYT making troubler again... there is no story... a real estate deal THAT DIDN'T HAPPEN, some hurt feelings, lingering division... Things happened.... there is no story. The NYT owes us nothing but responsible journalism but it cam't deliver that... it can't resist showing off.

by Anonymousreply 434October 29, 2018 12:28 PM

Nice mural.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 435October 29, 2018 12:32 PM

The Times won't stop its whataboutism until we're a fascist state. They take democracy for granted — they'll tear Democrats down at every chance, destroy any chance at holding back one-party role — that is, until they lose their right to free speech.

by Anonymousreply 436October 29, 2018 12:34 PM

Anybody who believes the NY Times is not a rightwing paper, is nuts. Murdoch might as well own it now.

by Anonymousreply 437October 29, 2018 2:51 PM

Likely some absurd article in the NYTimes won't influence too many Texas voters 8 days away from the election (and after record-breaking early voting has occurred).

Meanwhile, some good news from Texas independents.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 438October 29, 2018 2:51 PM

Beto's gone up in the latest Quinnipac poll only 5 below Cruz.

by Anonymousreply 439October 29, 2018 11:10 PM

Keep a booger in the Senate! Vote Cruz! Vote Republican!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 440October 30, 2018 1:49 AM

Beto hot. Boogers not.

by Anonymousreply 441October 31, 2018 12:45 AM

No need to fear, Ted; Miss Lindzey is on her way to campaign for you. Now be a good gentleman caller.

by Anonymousreply 442October 31, 2018 12:48 AM

r441, that should be Beto's new slogan!!!

by Anonymousreply 443October 31, 2018 2:25 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!