Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

"Harriet Craig" on TCM right now

One of Joan Crawford's most severe, bonkers looks. Her heavy shoulderpadded blazers are so severely cut that she looks like a brittle lesbian, and her hairstyle is equally anal-retentive.

At times she looks like the severe "living mannequin" who tries to sell Anne Francis a thimble in that Twilight Zone episode.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24September 30, 2020 3:20 AM

Exhibit B. She almost looks like an alien.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1September 1, 2018 2:12 AM

I remember we saw this in a film class alongside an earlier version of the story called "Craig's Wife" directed by Dorothy Arzner and starring Rosalind Russell.

I prefer the Arzner version. Crawford just made it weird.

by Anonymousreply 2September 1, 2018 2:15 AM

[quote]...the severe "living mannequin" who tries to sell Anne Francis a thimble in that Twilight Zone episode.

That would be model/actress Elizabeth Allen, who also starred in ”Donovan’s Reef” opposite John Wayne and Lee Marvin. She died at age 77 in 2006. I love her in that “Twilight Zone” episode. “Was someone helping you?”

by Anonymousreply 3September 1, 2018 2:31 AM

Loved Ellen Corby.

Crawford's appearance is so severe in this movie, by design, I know. Totally works.

by Anonymousreply 4September 1, 2018 2:31 AM

Talk about the perfect role. Hard to to see the crazy cleaning controlling scenes without thinking Mommy Dearest.

Harriet Craig is my mother -obsessive cleaner, controlling, narcisstic, judgmental.

by Anonymousreply 5September 1, 2018 2:43 AM

This is too funny. The ultimate bitch wife. Guess they have always existed - even before the women’s rights movement.

by Anonymousreply 6September 1, 2018 3:11 AM

Just found this on Amazon Prime, and it's amazing!

by Anonymousreply 7March 10, 2019 8:06 PM

That hair is serving up some FtM tranny realness.

by Anonymousreply 8March 10, 2019 8:10 PM

[quote] Her heavy shoulderpadded blazers are so severely cut that she looks like a brittle lesbian

Lesbians should be so lucky.

by Anonymousreply 9March 10, 2019 8:10 PM

It's the look of a feminist or a hardcore career woman.

Lesbians are mainly fat.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10March 10, 2019 8:17 PM

Yes, CRAIG'S WIFE is a better movie, but as one critic noted, HARRIET CRAIG is really about Joan Crawford.

by Anonymousreply 11March 10, 2019 8:37 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12March 10, 2019 8:37 PM

CRAIG's WIFE ('36 Roz Russell) / earlier version of same source material streams on WATCH TCM thru Mar. 12

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13March 10, 2019 9:04 PM

R12, Joan was hung!

by Anonymousreply 14March 10, 2019 9:06 PM

Watching Harriet Craig right now. I shall report back in due course.

Joan Crawford is wearing shoulder pads worthy of David Byrne.

by Anonymousreply 15August 31, 2020 4:48 AM

Co-starring Wendell Corey, who became President of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences; member of the Board of Directors of the Screen Actors Guild; and Santa Monica City Councilman.

by Anonymousreply 16August 31, 2020 5:19 AM

This is one of the very few Joan Crawford performances I admire on an acting level. She's perfectly cast as a cold, controlling, cut throat neurotic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17August 31, 2020 5:37 AM

Wendell Corey is a simp

And his pale blue eyes are reptilian. Hard pass.

by Anonymousreply 18August 31, 2020 6:13 AM

Oh her night gown and robe combination in the final scene, containing built in bra, sheer arms and a ruffled chiffon neck!

by Anonymousreply 19August 31, 2020 6:50 AM

Never seen Harriet Craig, but I loathed Craig’s Wife. She was a cold, controlling bitch, but if I remember correctly she had some severe trust issues and didn’t trust men or something like that (I only watched it once and it was a few years ago).

The final scene was her life totally falling apart in a tragic sequence of events that left her to suffer alone. No redemption arc, no growth, no development at all. It just ends with her basically being punished by the writers for being such a cunt.

Am I forgetting something important or is that basically the gist?

by Anonymousreply 20August 31, 2020 7:44 AM

Complete movie-

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21August 31, 2020 7:55 AM

[quote] Am I forgetting something important or is that basically the gist?

You’re spot on

by Anonymousreply 22August 31, 2020 1:46 PM

Flamingo Road -- from the previous year -- was the last time she still looked relatively feminine and desirable.

From this film on she start's looking as butch as Rosie O'Donnell.

by Anonymousreply 23August 31, 2020 1:49 PM

Well you are all entitled to your opinions

But personally, I thought Harriet was a perfectly lovely woman, a wonderful homemaker, and a devoted wife

And how smart of her not to ruin it all by having children

by Anonymousreply 24September 30, 2020 3:20 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!