Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Frozen 2: Elsa may indeed be a lesbian

Certain peoples' heads are going to explode if this is true.

[quote] Elsa’s going to become the first gay Disney Princess if these rumors we’re hearing about the plot of Frozen 2 pan out. According to Revenge of the Fans, a couple of very reliable sources are reporting that Disney and the film’s creative team are about to confirm once and for all that Elsa’s a lesbian. On top of that, it seems as though she’s set to get her own love interest, apparently to be voiced by LGBTQ actor Evan Rachel Wood.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 212September 28, 2018 10:29 PM

Reader comments are all negative... Sigh.

by Anonymousreply 1August 29, 2018 2:36 AM

Deplorable's heads are going to explode.

by Anonymousreply 2August 29, 2018 2:37 AM

Fake News

Disney will not throw away money by featuring a gay lead character in its movie

Not today, not ever

Fake News

by Anonymousreply 3August 29, 2018 2:37 AM

[quote] ... might explain why they’ve added writer Alison Schroeder to the team, whose Hidden Figures was praised for the sensitive and empowering way it treated women and minorities.

by Anonymousreply 4August 29, 2018 2:38 AM

A group of frolicking penguins sing The Muff Diving Song.

by Anonymousreply 5August 29, 2018 2:38 AM

Original article

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6August 29, 2018 2:39 AM

Hmm...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7August 29, 2018 2:48 AM

Give me a gay prince Disney

by Anonymousreply 8August 29, 2018 2:53 AM

Well there goes at least half their audience.

by Anonymousreply 9August 29, 2018 2:54 AM

It'll be a princess before they do a prince.

I see some lost audiences but repeat viewing by others.

Bob Iger is pretty forward-thinking...

by Anonymousreply 10August 29, 2018 2:55 AM

I'm a guy but if they did this I'd go see it many times with friends etc. Absolutely.

by Anonymousreply 11August 29, 2018 2:56 AM

Lots of talented writers. Top talent. They'll do it tastefully and somewhat subtly.

by Anonymousreply 12August 29, 2018 3:02 AM

Anyone know Groff? What has he said?

by Anonymousreply 13August 29, 2018 3:02 AM

Evan is most likely to play Elsa's mother.

The angry anti-gay brigade has fixated a LOT on China as an excuse for keeping Elsa straight. But they ignore the fact that Japan and Korea are where Frozen made big bucks -- not China. And the movie was a hit because it appealed to adult audiences. The idea of Elsa of being such a horrifying disappointment to her parents that those special handcuffs Hans used on her were most certainly already in the castle when The King and Queen left Arendelle was a HUGE draw in those two countries where animation isn't considered kid's stuff.

In America the half of the audience that hates gays already boycotted Frozen. Because they already lost their minds accusing Elsa of being a gay message.

I think in terms of letting Elsa be gay -- NOT hinting at a corrective boyfriend for her is going to be as good as it gets. This movie is bound to be about Anna getting married to Kristoff and Elsa coming to terms with her parent's hostility. Her snow powers are probably going to continue to be a metaphor for a lot of things -- including sexuality. It would be a more interesting idea if they did consider her powers as a metaphor for the power of weapons of war, etc but the shorts have already fixated on her powers being about reproduction because she has been bringing things to life 'accidentally-on-purpose' for Anna.

The best fairy tales are really horror at heart -- not romantic comedies. So there is also that to consider.

by Anonymousreply 14August 29, 2018 3:11 AM

Weird analysis, R14. The special handcuffs as a focal point for Japanese and Korean audiences?

by Anonymousreply 15August 29, 2018 5:51 AM

Why do fictional Disney characters require sex lives in the first place? That's like defining whether they wipe front to back vs back to front.

by Anonymousreply 16August 29, 2018 6:25 AM

Sexuality doesn't equal sex

by Anonymousreply 17August 29, 2018 6:27 AM

That's only true in your mind, dearie.

by Anonymousreply 18August 29, 2018 6:30 AM

The very root of sexuality is "sex".

by Anonymousreply 19August 29, 2018 6:33 AM

R15

It was a big deal not because of fetish stuff but because it showed how serious the family issue was.

by Anonymousreply 20August 29, 2018 6:53 AM

If whiter than white Norwegian Kristoff could be made sub-Saharan non-white on Broadway, literally anything is possible.

by Anonymousreply 21August 29, 2018 7:00 AM

My money is on them leaving Elsa's sexuality off the table for the second movie and then giving her an interest in girls in a 2-d animated TV crossover with Tangled.

They did give Cassandra (Eden Espinosa) a boyfriend for some ungodly reason, though.

by Anonymousreply 22August 29, 2018 7:07 AM

Cool. So can they make Prince Eric be gay in Little Mermaid 2. Maybe have a fling with King Triton.

by Anonymousreply 23August 29, 2018 7:09 AM

Bisexual. I think whathisname from Mulan is most likely to be Disney's first bisexual princess-movie "prince".

I'd really hold off on pushing for a gay prince in Frozen because for 'representation' because that is just going to be Josh Gad again because I think Olaf is the closest thing we have to a prince.

by Anonymousreply 24August 29, 2018 7:16 AM

R16, are you an Evangelical mom? It's called romantic love and it's integral to most people. It's not about sexual intercourse when it comes to showing romantic love in Disney movies.

by Anonymousreply 25August 29, 2018 12:53 PM

R20, you think that was a prominent detail that contributed to wide appeal among certain overseas audiences?

by Anonymousreply 26August 29, 2018 12:55 PM

Prince Hans should come back and be gay. But he's a villain.... Yeah lots of Disney villains seem super gay, but they'd never be overt about it when it comes to as villain.

I really enjoyed the novel that was half all about him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27August 29, 2018 12:58 PM

Silly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28August 29, 2018 1:24 PM

R26

No. I was trying to point out that in Japan and Korea the story is considered to be more adult and to address the issue of family shame in a way that US audiences read as 'has to be gay.' The wide appeal in the East was not based on the movie being about two girls who find love in a way that doesn't offend cultural norms everywhere -- it was about two girls surviving a family that destroyed itself over shame.

One of the early responses to Frozen noted that in the East, Elsa's deferential behavior with her parents contrasted sharply with how rude and defiant (cocky) US animated children often are with their parents. These two princesses appealed to non American audiences right away by not trying to push the overly done US trope of rudely defiant children being celebrated. Elsa was uniquely unoffensive because she was a good and respectful daughter who grew to be a dutiful and gracious queen. Even though Elsa's parents played the most idiotic of idiot cards in the story they were not portrayed as disrespectfully as US entertainment likes to show parenthood. The story in Japan and Korea is seen as a story about family strife rather than some fairy tale romance between Hans and Anna that goes awry.

My point in favor of them letting Elsa be gay should have been made more simply. Financially the big bucks came from Japan not China. And Japan is a market where lesbian relationships have been considered perfectly kawaii in animation. There is no convincing 'this will kill the overseas market' argument to be made because it was a huge blockbuster in Japan and Korea not China and Russia.

by Anonymousreply 29August 29, 2018 3:00 PM

R29, thanks so much for that explanation. Love the Korean/Japanese viewpoint - refreshing. Amazing insight. Fingers crossed!

by Anonymousreply 30August 29, 2018 3:31 PM

R30

It would be more surprising and radical for them to actually give Elsa a female friend. The Disney-Pixar track record for writing 5 to 10 male roles for every female character literally means it will be a much bigger deal for them to figure out how to let Elsa interact with and talk to a female who is not her sister (or mother) than to let Idina and the Lopezes confirm that Elsa is gay in a song.

I hope the new writer is there to help correct that problem. Even if they decide to cave and set Elsa up with Jack Frost from that other studio (by the way he is voiced by Chris Pine -- so it isn't like that is the worst option or even unlikely given how much Jennifer Lee likes him) -- I think Elsa needs a female friend. So does Anna. They need to develop some female personalities other than the title role princesses in their princess movies.

Idina has joked that she wants Tinkerbell as Elsa's girlfriend. I kind of think giving her the original manic pixie girlfriend could work while actually writing a love story for Elsa (like Wicked but without Fiyero) would be too challenging a task for Disney.

by Anonymousreply 31August 29, 2018 4:15 PM

They hired this garbled-mouthed actor we discussed in some other thread... I don't remember his name but when I saw it in relation to the Frozen article, it rang a bell. I don't want to bring up his ethnicity, but it's different, not that it matters. In any case he might be a new boyfriend.

by Anonymousreply 32August 29, 2018 4:54 PM

I think R31 is on to something. There is a very good chance of a Disney Dreamworks crossover with Chris Pine reprising his role as Jack Frost in Frozen 2. Likewise for Tinkerbell making an appearance as Elsa’s girlfriend. I’d take it a step further and speculate that this time next year we could be watching a trailer featuring one of the Owls of Ga’hoole using Olaf’s nose as a strap-on in preparation for his big pegging scene/musical number. Also wouldn’t be surprised by an appearance by Governor Ratcliffe from Pocahontas. It was revealed in the novelization that he was into bestiality and his favorite animal to penetrate was a reindeer. Watch out, Sven!

by Anonymousreply 33August 29, 2018 4:55 PM

r33 that's not true! He found the reindeer standoffish. He enjoyed penetrating the rock trolls more, because of their natural lubricant.

by Anonymousreply 34August 29, 2018 5:03 PM

They should really rock the boat and make her a TERF.

by Anonymousreply 35August 29, 2018 5:11 PM

It would be kind of funny if all the little girls suddenly realized they had been singing a Lesbian theme song. They will all immediately turn Lesbian as a result, of course.

by Anonymousreply 36August 29, 2018 5:13 PM

weird stuff.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37August 29, 2018 5:41 PM

R36

It will be Wicked all over again.

by Anonymousreply 38August 29, 2018 6:07 PM

Elsa isn't going to be gay. If Disney is willing to continue the gay subtext she won't be given a "corrective boyfriend" and might even find a female "best friend" so that Anna will be free to marry Kristoff.

Because while "Frozen" was seen by people of all ages, it's the little girls that are buying "Frozen" toys, costumes, backpacks, t-shirts, games, stuffed Olafs, etc., and not many parents are going to take their precious little angel to a lez-themed movie or buy her a lesbian costume for Halloween! So my money is on a "best friend" character who is heavy on subtext, because little girls tend to be really into the best friend. IMHO the reason "Frozen" was such a big hit with that age group is that it said that the relationship with a best friend or sister is more important than that with a boyfriend, which is a message little girls like to hear and which parents REALLY want them to believe. At least, until the girl is old enough to be on birth control.

by Anonymousreply 39August 29, 2018 7:31 PM

Yeah, my money is on making Elsa free from her ruling responsibilities and give her a female ^best friend/side kick^ and Anna marrying Kristoff and becoming queen herself.

by Anonymousreply 40August 29, 2018 7:47 PM

I think Anna will marry Kristoff and they will come to grips with the issue that their first child is going to be the heir some day. But I don't think Elsa is going to turn the city-state over to her sister. That would be a weird as hell story for them to tell.

I get the feeling Jennifer Lee identifies a bit with Elsa BECAUSE she is Queen-- not in spite of it.

by Anonymousreply 41August 29, 2018 10:10 PM

I think they'll keep it totally secret until the premier, especially if this is the case.

It's up to Jennifer Lee basically. She's the superstar since sex pest Lasseter essentially resigned.

by Anonymousreply 42August 29, 2018 11:22 PM

R37 why is Hans wearing a tiara?

by Anonymousreply 43August 30, 2018 4:44 AM

She will have a "Longtime companion" come to stay, as her "maid".

by Anonymousreply 44August 30, 2018 3:53 PM

If people would just openly ship it - I'm sure they would let her hook up with lady handmaiden Cassandra from Tangled. This would result in handing over the chance to write the great big lesbian power ballad duet to Alan Menken.

And really, isn't that all we've been asking for?

by Anonymousreply 45August 30, 2018 6:10 PM

Read the comments... go ahead... read the comments...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46August 30, 2018 8:33 PM

I now think Sterling K Brown is the love interest. Maybe a dignitary from another land. Wood seems to be paying Elsa's mother.

by Anonymousreply 47August 30, 2018 9:17 PM

I'm not sure I believe this. The reality is that there ARE, sadly, a lot of parents who would refuse to take their kids to see Frozen 2 (or buy any of the merchandise) if this turned out to be true. Disney are taking a massive risk if they push ahead with this. The profits they would lose won't be outweighed by those they would gain from publicity. Frozen 2 doesn't really NEED controversy in order to generate publicity, anyway. I would love to believe that society is ready to accept a lesbian Disney princess, but I'm not convinced that's true yet.

by Anonymousreply 48August 30, 2018 9:29 PM

Does Sterling K Brown even sing?

I get the feeling Jennifer Lee feels like Elsa is NOT a different person in any fundamental ways than she is so I doubt Elsa is a lesbian because Lee is not a lesbian.

That is kind of sad because Elsa definitely does NOT come across as straight in the first movie. Also it does make sense that we would have a gay character by now. She isn't a princess but if she WERE a princess she would be the 13th official one and if you go ahead and throw in the unofficial princesses, tinkerbelles and so forth we really would be pushing the odds that none of the girls in question is gay. If they do make Elsa gay and give her a female friend - they really don't need to change a single thing in the first movie for that to make sense. Elsa showed no interest in men (unlike Merida and Mulan who really are NOT gay - just tom-boys) and she also tarted herself up to be sexually attractive once she got away from all those judgy people as if she did have a sexuality she had been hiding (unlike Moana who is really still just a kid whose future sexuality is her own business). Groundwork has definitely been put down for Elsa to be gay - and Frozen 2 could give her a girlfriend without having to ret-con anything from Frozen 1.

That said, Lee is going to project herself onto Elsa and Lee is a straight woman.

by Anonymousreply 49August 30, 2018 10:45 PM

R12: Exactly. Elsa will have a very close, best friend that children will take as a "friend" on face value, but adults will know better. Barbie movie did the same thing with Diamond Castle.

by Anonymousreply 50August 30, 2018 10:52 PM

Total lesbians :)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51August 30, 2018 10:59 PM

"Elsa showed no interest in men (unlike Merida and Mulan who really are NOT gay - just tom-boys)"

Mulan was definitely straight, can't say the same about Merida. Merida didn't show any attraction to boys, or girls for that matter, but there just wasn't anyone around that she was even slightly attracted to. She was just... unawakened, it was too early to tell with her.

Now I wonder if someone with privileges should start a thread about the sexuality of Disney Princesses!

by Anonymousreply 52August 30, 2018 11:29 PM

I think Merida's response between 49-53 in the clip could be seen as interest when she thought the hot Scot was an option. It is a tiny moment -- but I would consider it a fair excuse for making an argument that Merida probably would like to settle down some day with an enormous muscle-head like her da rather than anyone who could possibly ever remind her of her mother.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53August 30, 2018 11:46 PM

However I do agree, R52, that if Wreck It Ralph Elsa only had the other princesses to consider, Merida is definitely the one.

She is wearing flannel.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54August 30, 2018 11:56 PM

Glad it's not coming out in an election year but rather November next year.

by Anonymousreply 55August 31, 2018 12:08 AM

r50, Barbie is a DYKE???

by Anonymousreply 56August 31, 2018 12:10 AM

I think the best Disney can hope for is to get Elsa a "room mate" in her frozen castle who wears a lot of flannel shirts and trucker hats. Some will get the idea.

by Anonymousreply 57August 31, 2018 12:17 AM

R56: She was in that particular movie. Barbie and her girlfriend lived together in a cottage and the lesbian undertones are there. esp. when they are singing to each other. It was all over the internet when Diamond Castle came out.

by Anonymousreply 58August 31, 2018 12:24 AM

Barbie is legion, R56.

by Anonymousreply 59August 31, 2018 12:26 AM

I can't see this happening. Shareholders would be pissed: needless risk added to what should be a very profitable production. It could threaten future earnings if there's a boycott of all Disney offerings.

Capital wants a reliable minimum rate of return on this sort of industrially produced entertainment.

by Anonymousreply 60August 31, 2018 1:56 AM

There was nothing reliable about Frozen. Frozen was a shock for Disney because they did not expect it to do a fraction as well as Tangled had done. Tangled WAS safe. Tangled was well tested and well received. Tangled had a smooth production history. Tangled appealed to boys as well as girls. Tangled was funny but also sort of faithful to some aspects of the original fairy tale. Tangled was beautiful. Tangled had awesome songs and a pop star as a princess. Tangled almost ended the Disney Princess line. With a production budget of $260 million Tangled only made $200 million of that back domestically. They roared back with $380 million internationally but the return on international box office is uneven (China especially does not return a fraction of the gross.)

Compared to Tangled, Frozen was expected to be a total flop. Everything that went right with Tangled did not go right with Frozen. It was a mess.

Frozen had been locked in development hell for a very long time. When they finally went into production Disney animation was in disarray as was the whole princess 'brand'. Glen Keane left during Tangled and the smooth transition to 3-d did not happen. (There was so much 'same-face' rage.) Alan Menken was not going to be writing the music for Frozen. Megan Mullally ditched the project. The production itself involved last minute rewrites which you can not actually DO in animation and besides the famous Lopez switch up delivering a power ballad when they were supposed to write the villain song there was micro-managing from Lassiter. They made such substantial changes to the movie late in the game that the original trailer they sent out literally focused on animation and dialogue that was cut and final marketing material appeared to have been taken from test animation materials.

After Pixar's Brave made almost as much as Tangled with a budget of $185 million Frozen was given an even smaller budget ($150 million) to work with as well as a limited amount of time. So the messing around with rewrites was especially surprising. Disney's princess brand was also under attack at this point because of Pixar. Lassiter literally got so hands on at one point that he made the remaining animator base Elsa's 'Let It Go' "dance moves off his own movement. But also did take time to have them make a special video of Idina Menzel doing the scene and singing with the camera literally focused on her boobs 'to know how she would breathe.' (Good call, probably. Elsa's boobs were a pretty important part of the final success of that sequence. And in the interview where Idina describes this she appears to have been very amused rather than alarmed by the experience.)

No one who reports anything to shareholders thought that Frozen was going to be a success. Everything about how they let that production go down indicated that they thought Frozen would prove once and for all that animation should be about boy's toys and cars and bouncy objects and not about girl stuff. Girls would see boy's movies and buy merchandise but boys hate girl's stuff. Since boys are the only market Lassiter and his peers understood or wanted to cater too (or could be trusted to work with as it turns out) -- Princess movies were already 'too gay' because only gay boys would be caught dead watching a princess movie.

So there is that to consider. Frozen's success was a shock to shareholders who were primed to be reminded that the new Pixar model of making movies for squeamish adolescent boys was the true path. Instead they got a hit album, a billion dollar movie, and crazy merchandizing for camping it up and letting Elsa go full diva. But NOTHING about what went right with Frozen happened in Disney's safe zone. So for them to return to 'just like Tangled but cold' might be just as risky as going full Idina and giving Elsa a screaming Maureen/Elphaba style duet with a gay(linda) fairy-girlfriend. They could just as well ruin their Arendelle cash cow by making Elsa boring and straight and they know it.

by Anonymousreply 61August 31, 2018 5:19 AM

R61, that was fascinating. Thanks so much. Where did you read/learn all of that? I'd love to read it myself. TIA.

by Anonymousreply 62August 31, 2018 5:51 AM

Yeah, when some underdog project becomes hugely successful all of a sudden the exec shitheads take over the sequel (not realizing what worked) and then, when it becomes a failure, they declare "well, it was a fluke after all! (aka. not our fault for messing it up!)".

by Anonymousreply 63August 31, 2018 6:20 AM

I'm an older lesbian and I'd be so fucking excited I'd watch it over and over...at least until people started looking at me funny. I can't imagine what it would mean to younger girls who feel different and related to Elsa in the first movie because of that without knowing exactly why they related to her so much. Those little kids are now young adolescents coming to terms with their different sexuality. Disney could literally save lives and make a real difference in the lives of the kids that make their money.

I'm also not sure parents wouldn't bring their kids to a movie with gay Elsa on purpose at this point. There are a whole lot of progressive liberal parents out there. A lot of Millennials are parents now raising Disney movie watching kids. Hell, I think gay groups alone would buy out theaters just in support of the movie. I hope they do it. And, if they don't, at least we have this book. I work in the kids' department in a library and this book is in our juvenile collection right next to Dr. Seuss and Captain Underpants. It's fantastic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64August 31, 2018 6:58 AM

"I'm also not sure parents wouldn't bring their kids to a movie with gay Elsa on purpose at this point. There are a whole lot of progressive liberal parents out there."

In some areas, but even in the US there are entire regions where they're scarce. And even among those progressive liberal parents there are plenty who don't want to discuss sex or sexuality with their kids, not to mention entire countries where anything gay-themed is banned or considered socially unacceptable.

No, Disney animated films cost too much for the higher-ups to okay anything that would be guaranteed to hurt the world-wide box office. When Disney does start to include gay characters or gay heroes, it'll be in films marketed to older audiences.

by Anonymousreply 65August 31, 2018 7:28 AM

R65, I think the numbers of people who protest against gay stuff is overstated. They just have big, fat mouths. Disney, especially, knows that their calls for boycotts, etc., are bullshit because they are always boycotting Disney. In fact, they're already boycotting them over Gay Days. Disney doesn't care about them.

China is the only major place that Frozen 2 with gay Elsa would probably be an issue and the first one wasn't all that popular there anyway. I think all it's going to take is one person to pull the trigger and gay Elsa would be a go. The question would be whether that person exists at Disney.

I have a feeling we'll get 'ambiguously super female friendly with lots of hugs' Elsa and as yet unnamed gal pal rather than full on lesbian Elsa. I very much doubt Elsa gets a boyfriend. At this point, I think Disney is going to have issues if they do that same old hetero story again because there are a lot of people who are kind of done with that storyline at this point.

by Anonymousreply 66August 31, 2018 7:46 AM

Explains why she's the only halfway cool Disney Princess

by Anonymousreply 67August 31, 2018 7:49 AM

"[R65], I think the numbers of people who protest against gay stuff is overstated. "

Yes, but my point is that the people who are actively anti-gay are greatly outnumbered by the number who don't want to discuss the spectrum of human sexuality with their children. And that such people are not limited to cultural conservatives.

by Anonymousreply 68August 31, 2018 8:06 AM

Disney hates controversy. An overtly lesbian Elsa is a controversial Elsa. I don't see it happening. Lesbian subtext Elsa, on the other hand, is already there and could continue.

by Anonymousreply 69August 31, 2018 8:48 AM

Hollywood is conservative, because it's profit oriented (like any business). They give lip service to LGBT acceptance and tolerance but wouldn't dare to risk financial loss, because of something so controversial as making one of their princesses a lesbian.

But I imagine some (animated?) comedy show will have a spoof of Frozen where Elsa will be a dyke. Maybe SNL will do a real life skit.

by Anonymousreply 70August 31, 2018 9:59 AM

We won’t know how people will react until we have the first gay prince or princess in a Disney movie. Go for it, Disney! And remember, a lipstick lesbian will sell better to little girls than a butch one.

Why are people so concerned about the conservatives and their reaction? There are enough progressive Americans, but they’re adults who have jobs and they lack the time to post comments on YouTube videos all day.

by Anonymousreply 71August 31, 2018 10:24 AM

I thought Elsa was going to be paired up with Jack Frost...

by Anonymousreply 72August 31, 2018 10:31 AM

Of course the first aninated gay Disney character woulf be a lesbian and not a gay male. Such bs. Gay men are ignored once again.

by Anonymousreply 73August 31, 2018 11:06 AM

R73, that's how it works. They go first b/c they're less threatening to masculinity-obsessed Americans who see a threat in gay men. They get comfy w/ the lesbians (straight guys always say "lesbians are hot," and kind of put themselves in a corner w/ re to gay men, but it takes a bit of time). It's a whole thing.

Then certain other groups will horn in after gay men are eventually depicted... lol

by Anonymousreply 74August 31, 2018 2:26 PM

R 62

I regularly skim Cartoon Brew and read the comments because the gossip there can get very first hand. I was an artist at the time these movies were being made and followed animation a bit as it all went down. I've included a link to a story which you can see hints at the huge drama behind Disney's frustration with Frozen's success. Between the comments and reading between the lines a lot gets said on this site. I would love to pick it all apart with someone if you want to go back and tear apart the animation industry from 2010 to 2018 with me.

Much of the info on how Brave, Tangled and Frozen did financially is easily accessed on BoxOffice Mojo. Just click to the Buena Vista listing for all time and you can easily click between the movies and see the numbers behind the trends. Frozen's box office and international success deserves more google-fu because the success of the movie did follow the success of Idina Menzel's version of Let It Go. Also google 'why did Frozen do well in Japan' because there are articles that discuss that. Frozen did amazingly well in Japan.

Not mentioned in the articles google throws up but quickly seen by looking at box-office-mojo-international - it is also interesting to see that the voice actors responsible for the majority of Frozen's box office were a small fraction of women Disney hired. I've listed a rough estimate of how the box office breaks down when you go by individual voice actor you get the billion dollar blockbuster with 7 voice actors -- none of whom are Russian or Chinese: Idina Menzel, (all English speaking countries for about $500 million), Takako Matsu (Japan - about 250 million), Hye Na Park (South korea 76 million) Carmen Sarahi (Latin American Spanish about 77 million) Willimijn Verkaik (German and Dutch about 58 million) Anais Delva (France, 46 million) and Serena Autieri (Italy $26 million.) (Frozen also go $22 million in Spain but I'm not sure how many versions that is meant to represent.) It is interesting to me that in spite of the idea that Frozen is Disney's corporate 'super-safe' ploy to 'make money in china' the way anti-gay activists like to claim -- the movie did best where there was a breakout Idina/release the inner diva appeal. Also the voice actors for Elsa were a big part of whether it hit or missed in their region.

I would sincerely hope that Jennifer Lee would consider flying Verkaik, Matsu, Park, Sarahi and Menzel to Burbank to get together discuss how they see Elsa and how they experienced fan reaction to Elsa before just thinking to herself "well I don't feel very gay and Russians censor the gay so Elsa isn't a lesbian." Idina and Verkaik especially are aware of how much of their fan base includes straight and gay girls with a raging girl crush on their green diva. Matsu can probably break down how yuri plays into her experience with Elsa (Elphaba and Glinda are yuri. Fan-fiction alternate universe Elsa and Anna are yuri. But Elsa in Frozen's world is already too old with a 'job' and a 'child' and any relationship she may have with a female would not be yuri. It would definitely be outside of the most accepted lesbian shipping anime trope accepted in Japan.) Park could give some input on how Elsa works as a gay/drag male pride icon in Korea. There was definitely a degree of wig snatching 'be the diva and fuck you all' LGBT pride in how South Korea went mad over Elsa. But there is also the K-Pop shock and awe at the noise Idina made. So who knows how much of that was about a nation learning to belt its face off in the snow. I think Sarahi, the youngest and least well known voice actor, might be the most likely to give good insight into how Frozen achieved popularity in conservative countries where she wasn't seen as a drag act waiting to be reinacted.

I doubt they would do this, 'though. It really looks as if Jennifer Lee spent the last few years looking inward to figure out Elsa in hopes that they could ditch Idina and still have all the magic on Broadway.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75August 31, 2018 5:06 PM

R75, haven't read all your post but THANK YOU SO MUCH for showing us where you learned all this stuff. Someone should write a book about this.

by Anonymousreply 76August 31, 2018 5:11 PM

R75. what odds do you give Elsa being gay in the sequel?

by Anonymousreply 77August 31, 2018 8:03 PM

I think there is a zero percent chance that Jennifer Lee will write a love story for Elsa and a female character. So even if there is a girlfriend -- she will NOT have her own dramatic arc and it will not satisfy the fans who want someone as good as Glinda to ship with Elsa. (ie Evan is sure to be playing Elsa and Anna's mother. Not Elsa's GF.)

On the other hand I think there is a 99.999 % probability that the Lopeses will write a 'Don't fuck with my gay sister I will cut a bitch' song for Kristen Bell that will be too good to leave out. It wont actually mean Elsa is gay -- but it will mean that Anna is against anyone who would judge Elsa for being gay.

Although none of the creatives writing Frozen right now are openly gay themselves -- the ones I know a little bit more about (the Lopeses through friends and Bell and Josh Gad through her approach to stardom. sidebar: they count as creatives because they both spent a lot of time ad libbing material and creating their characters directly.) do identify as fiercely invested in respect for gay people and challenging and ending homophobia. Kristen Anderson Lopes is weird and funny enough to continue to push the gay-incest vibe they have going with Anna and Elsa because it is just too hilarious to drop now that it is out there. Going too far means 'funny' and they know it. They are also nice people and confident in their approach to parenthood and what kids can and can not see so that they wont back down on content out of fear of scaring the mommies -- because they know what kids are interested in and what parents cope with if they have decent parenting skills. If you combine all of this I think the chances that Bell will push for Anna to be openly supportive of Elsa's homosexuality and strongly opposed to silence and hate (even if they don't let Elsa actually be gay) are high. It will be very clearly stated in song and even if they cut it from the movie it will be put on the sound-track. It will also be fun to sing but it wont be intended to be a mega hit.

If Jennifer Lee DOES decide that 'singleworking mom Elsa' needs to have her romance while her sister gets married and grows up she WILL make Elsa hetero and she WILL create a "oooh doesn't everyone just love her love interest' character. This poor character will be universally reviled. The chances she will go with this anyway are dismally high. I don't even want to go there. Like there is a 60% chance she is going to write a Mr. Wonderful for Elsa who literally hogs the storyline at the expense of Elsa. Idina will be recorded just laughing at how witty he is and making agreeable noises as he embodies everything Jennifer Lee thinks she might want in a guy.

Finally there is a 5 to 10% chance that they will include a lovely female character for Elsa to look at or even talk to in a throwaway scene that can be easily cut from international versions. This 'yup she is gay' love interest wont even have a voice actor attached. I think this is the best option combined with Anna getting her pflag patter-song anthem.

by Anonymousreply 78August 31, 2018 10:03 PM

Nice, r78. Thanks.

I fear Sterling's marble-mouth voice is going to ruin things. It's not a race thing: totally please have a black guy for whatever role, but one with a clear voice.

by Anonymousreply 79August 31, 2018 10:34 PM

R79

They should have hired someone from Broadway or at least someone who can sing?

They couldn't pick Brian Tyree Henry instead? I mean... I just don't get it.

by Anonymousreply 80August 31, 2018 11:01 PM

OK.

Well Wicked has been taken out of production and replaced with Cats! Wow.

by Anonymousreply 81September 1, 2018 12:13 AM

She is not a princess, she is a Queen.

by Anonymousreply 82September 1, 2018 12:28 AM

Elsa is obviously a lesbian, the moment her father said to the troll that ^she was born (not cursed) with the powers^ it is implied, her parents accepted her but thought she World outside wouldn't. And they made a LOT of mistakes by thinking like that. The let it go sequence and lyrics are just a confirmation of that.

by Anonymousreply 83September 1, 2018 2:57 AM

R74, the facts are actually against you. As always, males, gay or straight, say outnumber the female characters. I think some of the characters listed here are a bit of a stretch but the supposed lesbians are way outnumbered by the supposed gay male characters, including Ursula the drag octopus.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84September 1, 2018 6:32 AM

R84, we're taking about overtly gay characters in popular culture. It's easier for the general public to grow somewhat comfortable with lesbians than gay men. You know this.

Straight dads joke about hoping their daughters turn out to be lesbians (e.g., Howard Stern). They never joke about hoping their sons turn out to be gay.

by Anonymousreply 85September 1, 2018 7:56 AM

Thank you R84

It is really quite shocking when gay men complain that 'lesbians have it so easy and society accepts them with open arms and porn directed at straight men but we gay men NEVER get representation or acceptance!' Please stop. Lesbian visibility doesn't hurt you or take away some 'spot' that could have gone to a deserving gay man who isn't femme or anything. The statistics behind the LGBT statistics we are looking at now point out that in all big budget productions women are increasingly excluded and not even present in an absolutely unacceptable way. You are whining that lesbians get all the breaks -- when the obvious problem with making Elsa a lesbian is that Arendelle is populated almost exclusively with male characters and the only girl Elsa even knows her own age is her sister.

There aren't enough women getting work and you're bent out of shape that one of the few female parts in a big budget animated movie isn't male? That is kind of a big deal. Lesbians aren't shutting out gay male visibility in entertainment -- but men are constantly coming up with excuses for shutting out women. Let the damned princess movies have a princess in them. Is that seriously too much for you? You've got ALL of Pixar and OVER HALF of the speaking roles in the princess movies and what 85% of characters in the action, triller, drama and comic book movies. You've seriously going to fucking sulk because there are actresses voicing characters in a princess movie and you think that role should have gone to a man?

Also women have openly joked about wishing to have a gay son for decades (usually in self-awareness that they are being over the top narcissists - but the reality is there).

Women like gay men a fuck-ton more than men like actual lesbians. You know this.

by Anonymousreply 86September 1, 2018 1:09 PM

People are losing their shit. "How can you show this to young girls? They will be confused." I am constantly amazed at how many clueless right wing nut jobs their are in the country then I check who is president and I go "oh yeah..."

by Anonymousreply 87September 1, 2018 2:44 PM

While trans getting so much attention is insane, one thing it has done is brought "sexuality" type issues to parents' minds concerning their children. I wonder if that will have the effect of not having as many parents having the 'But I don't want to talk about this stuff with my kids because they're too you!' reaction? And though they are not the most logical of groups, honestly, how can they make the argument of not wanting to talk about love or sex based relationships if the movie is about Anna getting married?

by Anonymousreply 88September 1, 2018 6:30 PM

Thanks, R86, you were more eloquent and thorough than I probably could have been.

by Anonymousreply 89September 1, 2018 6:36 PM

R86, R84 is impliedly arguing that we'd see a gay Prince before a gay Princess in a Disney movie? In part, he provides multiple examples of crypto-gay male Disney characters - as is making a character overtly gay bears significant relation to previous often mocking and indirect depictions of gay males in Disney movies.

All the other stuff aside, do you believe that we'll see an overtly gay Prince before an overtly gay Princess? Assume Disney is forced to choose one.

by Anonymousreply 90September 1, 2018 7:33 PM

[quote] Lesbian visibility doesn't hurt you or take away some 'spot' that could have gone to a deserving gay man who isn't femme or anything.

R86, who actually said anything of the sort in comments prior to yours?

You're reading too much into our understanding of things like the greater likelihood that straight parents (vastly more numerous than gay parents and thus a more significant market) are more likely to prefer a gay daughter over a gay son (no one brought up what lesbian couples would prefer until you brought it up).

Don't take offense so easily.

by Anonymousreply 91September 1, 2018 7:38 PM

[quote] no one brought up what lesbian couples would prefer until you brought it up).

Please pardon me. I was incorrect in using lesbians vs. women generally.

by Anonymousreply 92September 1, 2018 7:41 PM

"how can they make the argument of not wanting to talk about love or sex based relationships if the movie is about Anna getting married? "

That's where heternormativity is a problem. Heterosexual relationships are so universally accepted that nobody's afraid to talk about them with their kids... just to talk about the specifics. So yes, we have legal marriage equality now, but there's still a bit of work to do on social equality. We won't be there until parents are willing to discuss Adam and Steve's romance in the same terms as Anna and Kristoff's.

For some reason, the sort of liberal parents who ought to be leading the way are much more comfortable asking their kids if they identify as a boy or a girl or neither, than anything involving sexual feelings.Don't get me started.

by Anonymousreply 93September 1, 2018 10:38 PM

R90

Male dominated big budget animation covers all the other genres. Big Hero 6 didn't even pass the Bechdel test because they couldn't be bothered to give the female characters lines. Why are you literally complaining that the princesses in a princess movie are female? WTF.

I believe we should have a gay male superhero first. Coding female superhero sidekicks as 'bisexual' is a cop out because in male dominated narratives cutting all the scenes from the movie where the girls talk to each other is so normal that of course they are going to edit it out. Sure there are lots and lots of lesbian superhero characters -- but it isn't in the movies or comic books or really anything and it isn't because they are more acceptable -- it is because they can bait and switch easier because the girls always get edited down to nothing anyway. Do the Princess movies have a similar thing going? Can we just assume that Hans is really gay and there was a handsome beaux waiting for him to send a message that Arendelle was theirs to rule together? Can we just declare that Wesselton's two bodyguards are clearly a couple? I mean we really HAVE declared Oaken to be gay.

by Anonymousreply 94September 2, 2018 12:13 AM

Superheroes aside, when it comes to an overly gay princeo or princess, which will Disney create first?

I thinking princess. I'm also thinking others above don't want to admit it, and I'm too dense to understand why. 😂

by Anonymousreply 95September 2, 2018 12:28 AM

[quote] Why are you literally complaining that the princesses in a princess movie are female? WTF.

R94, where does r90 do that, literally and/or figuratively?

by Anonymousreply 96September 2, 2018 12:31 AM

R94, you're kind of moving the goalposts or something. The question concerns Disney princesses and princes.... Who's gay first?

by Anonymousreply 97September 2, 2018 12:34 AM

Why did you change the subject to be bitching that you wanted them to make Prince movies rather than Princess movies.

by Anonymousreply 98September 2, 2018 12:40 AM

I'd love it if Hans were gay. In the novel where we really get to know him, A Frozen Heart, there are essentially no indicative of his sexuality, which I find interesting.

by Anonymousreply 99September 2, 2018 12:43 AM

R98, where? Where is there any indication of preference one way or another?

by Anonymousreply 100September 2, 2018 12:43 AM

R99 I think Hans makes much more sense if you consider him gay. But does that count??

by Anonymousreply 101September 2, 2018 12:53 AM

I think several people are reading a preference on the part of others in this thread for a gay prince to come first -- where there is no actual preference expressly or impliedly expressed.

No one above bitched about a gay princess being more likely to be first: it was just speculation, taking into account society's biases. Readers of those speculative statements are attaching their own pain and understandable defensiveness in reading them as being accompanied with a critical tone, and as being sexist and indicating a preference for a gay prince to be first -- where there is no actual express or implied preference in the statements themselves. Thus we have the question "Who'll come first -- a gay princess or prince?" laden by some with judgment, where there is none.

No one here is saying they prefer one over another. The issue is simply that we're trying to predict how Disney will go about introducing a first-ever overtly gay princess or prince -- which will they feel more inclined to opt for, as a first of its kind (a gay royal character)? That's it. It's not about debate (which it SHOULD be) - it's about speculating about the future (which WILL it be), and asking those with different perspectives for their assessments, and learning about the factors they're inputting into making that assessment.

We can't see through the forest; we're asking for others' take on what might be on the other side, given what they know and/or have noticed that others don't know or haven't noticed. That's it.

To clear it out: the written statement "I bet they dress their little girl in pink for her first birthday party" doesn't have any inherent implied or express judgment. It doesn't imply "Ugh, I just know they're going to go with pink. So stereotypical." It's liable to interpreted that way by some because people are taking the neutral statement ("I bet they dress their little girl in pink for her first birthday party.") and adding their own take on how that statement would be conveyed, given their own backgrounds, including their hurts, fears, biases, etc.

"I bet they dress their little girl in pink at their first birthday party" is by itself as neutral as "I bet it rains tomorrow" -- there's no judgment in the sentence itself; readers are commonly inclined to read judgement into the statement because it relates to gender, and they've heard debate over the common assignment of the color pink to girls. They effectively add additional words and whole sentences where there are none.

Prediction isn't about preference unless someone adds words to their prediction that indicate a preference. Same with judgment: it's not there unless there are actual words to indicate judgment.

Consider this thread kind of a safe space: there's no judgment unless it's overt. Please don't read preference or judgment where there isn't any. 😊👍

by Anonymousreply 102September 2, 2018 1:15 AM

R101, if they make it overt, it counts for sure! He's a prince, it's Disney, and if it's overt, yeah, then he's the first gay prince/princess character. Hope they do it!

("Hope they do it." btw, doesn't indicate a preference (i.e., that the first overtly gay character is a boy vs. a girl): It just means "I hope they hurry up and make *someone* gay, and if they do it with Hans, that'd be great!")

by Anonymousreply 103September 2, 2018 1:18 AM

Good (audio)book. The parts about Hans's childhood and inner low life especially. My favorite Disney villain.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104September 2, 2018 1:34 AM

Inner *life especially

by Anonymousreply 105September 2, 2018 1:34 AM

The topic of this thread is whether Elsa could become 'canonically' outed as gay in Disney's 2019 movie Frozen2. There is a pretty good chance that the only 'prince' in Frozen2 is liable to be Olaf. They do not have another Disney Princess movie lined up right now.

Some people on this thread have bitched that it is unfair that lesbians get all the breaks. (Which is kind of offensive to lesbians who get treated pretty fucking harshly just like gay men in real life.) Being upset by the idea they might make Elsa canonically gay before doing something better than Josh Gad's attempt to flirt in Beauty and the Beast is kind of mean spirited. Like you would rather Elsa be turned into another straight Disney princess so you could wait for them to maybe make the right prince movie -- because lesbians 'have it too easy' or something? Because Howard Stern made a rude joke that he wouldn't mind his daughter being a lesbian?

by Anonymousreply 106September 2, 2018 1:47 AM

R104

This is off topic -- but have you seen the Tangled TV show and do you like Varian?

by Anonymousreply 107September 2, 2018 1:50 AM

R106, are you being disingenuous? You're not even indicating the precise language by others when you say:

[quote] Some people on this thread have bitched that it is unfair that lesbians get all the breaks. (Which is kind of offensive to lesbians who get treated pretty fucking harshly just like gay men in real life.) Being upset by the idea they might make Elsa canonically gay before doing something better than Josh Gad's attempt to flirt in Beauty and the Beast is kind of mean spirited.

R74 said this:

[quote] [R73], that's how it works. They go first b/c they're less threatening to masculinity-obsessed Americans who see a threat in gay men. They get comfy w/ the lesbians (straight guys always say "lesbians are hot," and kind of put themselves in a corner w/ re to gay men, but it takes a bit of time). It's a whole thing.

[quote] Then certain other groups will horn in after gay men are eventually depicted... lol

R85 said this:

[quote] [R84], we're taking about overtly gay characters in popular culture. It's easier for the general public to grow somewhat comfortable with lesbians than gay men. You know this.

[quote] Straight dads joke about hoping their daughters turn out to be lesbians (e.g., Howard Stern). They never joke about hoping their sons turn out to be gay.

Please carefully read and consider this (if helps if you're a lawyer, but whatever):

Where's the "bitching" about it being "unfair that lesbians get all the breaks"?

R74 and R85, at most, are making observations about American society, and are acknowledging some prejudice they perceive, where the prejudice is based on the insecurity of American men in relation to their masculinity (the straight men making the decisions are more threatened by gay men than gay women, and if they must choose, they'll opt for the former).

There's no judgment about lesbians "getting all the breaks." It's just an assessment of who's likely to come first and why. There is NO judgement in those statements about lesbians and women. At most , there's a sardonic tone that's critical of American masculinity and American straight men.

R106:

[quote] Being upset by the idea they might make Elsa canonically gay

Where is the upset? You're reading a tone that isn't there.

Please try to read objectively. There is no judgment of lesbians, nor is there resentment at the prospect of their "being first"; you're reading judgment into it. There is at most judgment of the insecurity of straight men and observations of how that might relate to their preference for a lesbian vs. a gay male Disney prince/princess.

Do you see? If you don't, can you please quote the language in any of the posts above that is in any way judgmental or critical of lesbians coming first in and of itself? Any critical tone is solely related to American society and American straight men.

When someone says "I bet they're going to opt for the leaf blower rather than use a broom," there is no inherent criticism in that. People mistakenly read things with their own biases about what others are implying in their words (e.g., most people hate leaf blowers, so the sentence must be critical in tone -- totally untrue given only the sentence in question).

Can you please point to the critical language you're basing your statement that someone in the posts above "bitched that it is unfair that lesbians get all the breaks."?

by Anonymousreply 108September 2, 2018 2:10 AM

I'm sorry, I made a mistake at R108:

... and if they must choose, they'll opt for the *latter*

by Anonymousreply 109September 2, 2018 2:12 AM

It's the difference between someone having a MA vs a JD. 😂

The MA can't read objectively or write with precision because apparently it's hard for her to separate her identity from what she's reading. Any interpretation is distorted by "where she's coming from."

The JD is expecting others to read and write as precisely as he does because lawyers are intellectual snobs.

by Anonymousreply 110September 2, 2018 2:19 AM

From Fast Company in March 2018:

[quote] ... That’s an awful lot of hedging. You don’t have to read between the lines of Lee’s extremely careful wording to deduce that Elsa is probably not going to come out as the Lesbian Queen of Arendelle in Frozen 2. But if, if it turns out that what Elsa tells Lee she’s doing in her life is confirming that “Let It Go” is indeed a coming-out anthem, it would be a monumental step for Disney. Although the company has had Gay Days at its theme parks since at least 1991, it has yet to put a single certifiably gay character in one of its animated films. (Again, Timon and Pumba do not count.) Making Elsa LGBT in a property as hotly (coldly?) anticipated as Frozen 2 would mean incurring the wrath of the boycott-happy religious right–the people who refuse to buy wedding cakes from gay bakers.

[quote] Although the film will be a blockbuster even if it’s just Elsa and Anna making snow angels for two hours, Disney would knowingly lose a fraction of its audience by giving Elsa a girlfriend. The most family-friendly studio on the planet would be inviting a boycott. But perhaps the bean-counters involved can be made to understand the right-side-of-history significance of this kind of inclusivity. It will happen in a Disney movie eventually–why not send a message by doing it with one of the studio’s most beloved properties? It’s time the studio let its heteronormativity go.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111September 2, 2018 2:35 AM

I agree that they know they are going to do it one day, so what's wrong with now?

by Anonymousreply 112September 2, 2018 6:00 AM

R112, nothing wrong with now. It may indeed happen.

Russia will hate it. Much of the Middle East , Eastern Europe, and Africa, too. But whatever.

Make sure to see it multiple times in theaters if she turns out to be lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 113September 2, 2018 10:06 AM

In "Frozen Fever", Hans looks pretty even as he shovels horse manure. He's wearing his lovely fuschia-accented uniform and best riding boots.

Gay. 🤣

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114September 2, 2018 10:11 AM

It would be cool to have Elsa accidentally freeze a gal pal's no-no place, so they travel to a land of all-female fairies to fix the damage, and end up joining the Sapphic tribe.

by Anonymousreply 115September 2, 2018 10:13 AM

Aww.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116September 2, 2018 10:14 AM

R107, I haven't seen it yet. Is it good?

by Anonymousreply 117September 2, 2018 10:29 AM

R113

Frozen's success was distinctly different than Tangled's success. So Disney doesn't actually have a safe princess fall-back option to pick by backing down and making Elsa more like previous princesses. If they turn Elsa into another bland princess they risk losing the value of the Frozen bonanza.

Being just like Tangled would be a huge failure for them. We have seen a lot of evidence from Disney's behavior in the last 5 years as they have developed Frozen's brand that they are genuinely more interested in encouraging people to rethink Rapunzel, Anna, Merida, Mulan and Aurora according to whatever it is they liked about Elsa than they are in rewriting Elsa to have her own comfy prince and happy ending. The box office numbers comparing Tangled to Frozen back up the decisions they have made.

Playing it safe with Frozen does NOT mean letting Elsa become like the other princesses. They must retain the edge that made Frozen different than Tangled.

So are they financially obligated to pretend that Frozen is a super-hero movie style blockbuster? Do they need to pander to the fanboys and everything fanboys believe China agrees with them about regarding issues like feminine protagonists needing to be taken down a notch and homophobia and racism being conservative values?

I would argue that the box office and sales results we already see from Frozen (as well as what we can gather about Wicked) argue against treating Frozen like a Pixar movie, Transformers or a Marvel product. Because Frozen killed in Western Europe and Japan -- competitive markets -- and did tepid business in China and Russia.

So do they even have a safe option? Was Frozen really just a happy accident? Or did they have a tested, successful template to work from when they decided to toss the Snow Queen story in favor of kind of rewriting Wicked for the ice capades?

If you really look at Frozen honestly it is just a very pretty version of Act 1 of Wicked without Galinda relocated to Norway instead of Oz. Let It Go is just Defying Gravity as a solo. Anna is Nessarose. Fortunately for Anna she is not confined to a wheelchair or set up in a toxic relationship with a man who secretly hates her (Hans/Boq) and somehow she appears to end up with the human version of the cowardly lion. Fiyero is a Snowman from the moment he shows up to sing 'Dancing through Life/In Summer' in what I find to be a surprisingly satisfying twist on that already messy sub-plot from Wicked. And it was intensely satisfying as a movie experience. (The play apparently does not pack the power of Act 1 of Wicked. Because Galinda is kind of fucking important. But whatever.)

So if you consider the idea that they are just doing their best Disney version of Wicked - but changed for copyright reasons - all they have to do to play it safe in Frozen 2 is to have Hans return and be super mad at Elsa, then drop a house on Anna, let Elsa go all Elika Nahmen over a melted Olaf and finish up with Elsa singing 'For Good' to herself as a solo. I kinda think that would end with Hans and Kristoff together? So if they made that seem gay, everyone would be happy. Right?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118September 2, 2018 4:43 PM

Honestly, the more I read of this the less I think Disney will make Elsa explicitly lesbian--too much merchandising at stake. So, oodles of money v. taking a progressive stance. I just don't see Disney risking its Frozen franchise like that--not when there's no one strongly pushing it inside Disney (i.e. Jennifer Lee). Making live-action Ariel brown is about as far Disney's going to go right now.

Anna, not Elsa, was supposed to be the heroine of Frozen, so much so that Disney ran out of Elsa merchandise because they made more Anna stuff. But little girls liked that Elsa had magical powers, snazzy dresses and no icky love story. The emphasis on sister relationships also appealed.

Elsa falling in love with a woman isn't going to appeal in the same general way. That's a story line that appeals to adults. In some ways, what the success of Frozen, Brave (with its mess of a plot) and Moana all show is that little girls aren't that interested in love stories. They want adventures and magic.

So, I'm expecting Elsa makes some friends with subtext for those who want subtext.

by Anonymousreply 119September 2, 2018 9:40 PM

So all of those little girls's backpacks with Elsa and her sister on them will look even more Lesbionic than they already do.

Lots of loss of revenue for Disney.

by Anonymousreply 120September 2, 2018 9:44 PM

"That's a story line that appeals to adults. In some ways, what the success of Frozen, Brave (with its mess of a plot) and Moana all show is that little girls aren't that interested in love stories. They want adventures and magic. "

Maybe that's why a bunch of middle-aged gays are that interested in a movie made for little girls, we aren't that interested in heterosexual love stories. Really, it's very hard to find a movie without one!

by Anonymousreply 121September 2, 2018 11:37 PM

Please the whole frozen story was an analogy for a gay child. One child is different and the parents tell her she has to hide who she is or people won't understand. When people find out she is vilified. She runs away and realizes she is happier being just who she is. Her sister seeks her out to tell her she loves her just the way she is and she is accepted back home. It is already a gay fairy tale.

by Anonymousreply 122September 3, 2018 12:47 AM

Wonder if they ever considered making Wicked an animated movie. Some hot actor to voice Fiyero, change the ending so it's clearly happy. Animal rights, oppressive government (Trump and the Wizard, charlatans), feminism, etc. Very reasonant.

The book was a depressing slog, however.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123September 3, 2018 12:49 AM

R123

Frozen is literally a Disney alternate universe version of act 1 of Wicked with all the depressing stuff and Galinda removed. One thing Frozen really proves is that Universal should animate Wicked (probably as a two parter or trilogy) and literally make it as Japanese as possible.

by Anonymousreply 124September 3, 2018 2:17 AM

R124, what do you mean by make it as Japanese as possible? Tia

by Anonymousreply 125September 3, 2018 2:22 AM

I forgot that Universal owns Wicked. Boo. No chance of a Disney animated version with that Disney magic.

by Anonymousreply 126September 3, 2018 2:22 AM

Wicked drawn by a Disney animator.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127September 3, 2018 2:28 AM

If she ever munched rug--and enjoyed it--she might be a lez-bee-yun...

by Anonymousreply 128September 3, 2018 2:31 AM

R125 I almost think Universal should get a Japanese studio to animate it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129September 3, 2018 2:53 AM

So similar.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130September 3, 2018 3:15 AM

R127

I love love love those character designs. And here is a grab from another animator (Heidi Gilbert) who storyboarded a sequence:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131September 3, 2018 3:16 AM

Wicked has so many songs. An animated movie should keep:

No One Mourns The Wicked

The Wizard and I

What is this feeling

Dancing through life

Popular

One short day (montage scene)

Defying Gravity

Thank Goodness (maybe not, but it's my favorite - that sad ambivalence "because happy is what happens when all your dreams come true.... Isn't it?") . Wonderful (sucks but the wizard needs one)

As Long As You're Mine (maybe not, to passionate and adult)

For Good (maybe not, it they change the ending to be happy)

... Actually there are too many important songs... But I can't imagine a movie that works have all the songs.. exhausting, like if Frozen had 10 songs or something.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132September 3, 2018 3:30 AM

Piece of ass. Shouldn't turn into the scarecrow in the movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133September 3, 2018 3:32 AM

Amazing

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134September 3, 2018 3:33 AM

I don't understand: what caused Fiyero to fall in love you Elphaba?

by Anonymousreply 135September 3, 2018 3:44 AM

Movie's delayed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136September 3, 2018 3:48 AM

R131 has carried the point, "Wicked" would make a great Disney animated film!

And "Frozen" is playing now, on Freeform network. It's a big mess of a movie, but I love that opening music with the women's chorus!

by Anonymousreply 137September 3, 2018 4:03 AM

Not gonna happen.

by Anonymousreply 138September 3, 2018 4:04 AM

It's not a good movie, but holy shit the "Let it Go" number is dazzling! (Playing now in my area)

Not just a rousing song and spectacular ice-castle animation, but it really is one of the best pieces of character animation I've ever seen. In the course of a couple of minutes we see Elsa's body language and personality totally change, she unwinds and blossoms and suddenly changes from tense and unhappy to beautiful and powerful, in a way that totally works on film. It both resonates with the experience of coming out, and with our dreams of becoming our most fabulous selves.

by Anonymousreply 139September 3, 2018 4:52 AM

why all this blabbing about cartoon characters disney or other???? are we not adults? apparently not.

by Anonymousreply 140September 3, 2018 5:06 AM

We are adult enough to not give a rat's ass about other people's opinion of our entertainment preferences, R140.

Fuck off and discuss something YOU like, if you like anything!

by Anonymousreply 141September 3, 2018 5:11 AM

Yikes

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142September 3, 2018 8:26 AM

Wowsers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143September 3, 2018 8:29 AM

I don't mind these types of pics for the male characters, but it sickens me when they do it to the girls.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144September 3, 2018 8:37 AM

Good slash. Hans + Flynn.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145September 3, 2018 8:43 AM

Minkyu Lee (the guy who did those Wicked designs) still has his tumblr up.

He really needs to be doing the Wicked movie for Universal.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146September 3, 2018 2:29 PM

Wow I never knew that Prince Hans was such a DL fave.

by Anonymousreply 147September 3, 2018 4:05 PM

R147, I'd say he's as cute as Flynn Rider (physically at least).

He's adorable in "Love is an Open Door" as well. Such a pretty voice.

Love love love him at 2:02 ("doo-ooo-ooo-oor!"). Makes me melt.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148September 3, 2018 4:54 PM

R147

Although Hans ends up actually being the villain -- he is also pretty easily viewed as the first potentially gay Disney Prince. His lack of actual romantic interest in Elsa and Anna is an actual plot point. While we have no indication he could be interested in any human companion (apparently his love song is to the cosy Kingdom of Arendelle) we do have it established that if he did indeed turn out to be attracted to men he would not have to be considered bisexual the way previous princes (including Gaston) would. Hans is the first Prince Charming to canonically have no interest in princesses.

by Anonymousreply 149September 3, 2018 6:56 PM

R149, in the Frozen Heart novel, he did say that Anna was rather pretty and he could see how one might be attracted to her. Far from his bring into her however. I'll try to find the quote.

by Anonymousreply 150September 3, 2018 7:00 PM

"Hans couldn't help being impressed... [Anna] was actually rather pretty... If this was the woman he wanted to woo and wed, well, Hans could imagine much worse options."

That's it. That's the extent of this thoughts about Anna's attractiveness.

Gay.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151September 3, 2018 7:19 PM

*his thoughts

by Anonymousreply 152September 3, 2018 7:20 PM

Exactly R152

He isn't blind, deaf and dumb -- gay men can tell when a woman is attractive. But a straight man would pause to consider whether the ninny he was marrying for the throne needed to be offed right away or not if she were as attractive as Anna.

by Anonymousreply 153September 3, 2018 8:14 PM

To those, like the poster above, who claim lesbians get all the attention because they're so accepted...they can't even actually have one thread about the possibility of a lesbian character that doesn't turn into m/m porn cartoons and a discussion about the "gay prince". That's the reality of the male-centered world we live in.

by Anonymousreply 154September 3, 2018 9:05 PM

R154, DL isn't the wider world... Just saying.

by Anonymousreply 155September 3, 2018 10:22 PM

It is very annoying that several apparently gay men go negative over Elsa being considered as possibly becoming the first gay protagonist in a Disney Princess movie because they are literally outraged that she is FEMALE in a Princess movie, but that is our reality.

But having the thread end up posting fan art of Kristoff and GayHans is exactly what gayElsa would want.

by Anonymousreply 156September 3, 2018 10:31 PM

R156, you've got to work trolling given the explanation at R108.

We can support gay Elsa and talk gay Hans in one thread.

by Anonymousreply 157September 3, 2018 10:38 PM

[quote] they are literally outraged

😂 there's no outrage. Nice trolling.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158September 3, 2018 10:42 PM

Reading comprehension much R158?

by Anonymousreply 159September 3, 2018 11:01 PM

Again with the trolling, R159.

by Anonymousreply 160September 3, 2018 11:38 PM

Queen Elsa before Queen Hans.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161September 4, 2018 12:11 AM

Something about the uniform is gay. Fuschia maybe. Also... Gay face.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162September 4, 2018 12:32 AM

Anna makes me want to be straight. So cute and lovely. No man can compare. Her little dance at 3:20 is the sweetest thing I've seen a girl do.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163September 4, 2018 12:56 AM

Test

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164September 4, 2018 1:25 AM

I thought there already was a gay character in Frozen??

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165September 4, 2018 1:36 AM

R165 You meant the guards too? Because obviously. Original Frozen had so many straight male background characters cooing over the princesses that you might as well assume that the scheming men paired up with other men are just bitter Queens hissing about witchcraft and who drained the pasta and so forth. So really Frozen has already gotten Oaken the bath-house Queen, Wesselton the hissing Eldergay, Ginger Prince Hans (who is a Milo-style MAGA hat misogynists more than a man-seeking Prince - so maybe there is a pedo victim back-story?) the two bodyguards; "Fit-fat Bear and Otter" and we haven't even mentioned the Lutheran Minister who gently schooled Elsa on her etiquette while she was frosting over the coronation, or that Olaf is probably dialing a phone with a pencil right now and worshipping his fabulous mother...

That was Frozen 1 -- Frozen 2 needs to catch up with the lesbians. Give Elsa a girlfriend, give her a rage inducing female antagonist, give her some pretty maids, a troubled orphan who dabbles in highway robbery, a scrappy war widow with children and a thriving business to maintain, give Elsa a tiny magical godmother/manic pixie dream girl who can help her catch up on her powers and teach her to be popular, give Elsa a fire-princess to bond with (and then leave to rule her own kingdom),give Elsa a soft butch female bodyguard/handmaid or a vampire buddy or a 'bad mom's drinking buddy. Elsa needs some female friends.

by Anonymousreply 166September 4, 2018 2:02 PM

Denied, OP. She's already married to Max Goof.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167September 4, 2018 6:53 PM

You wanna get some unwanted trivia in your head? Let's hear it for her boy!

Her baby, he don't talk sweet...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168September 4, 2018 7:15 PM

In other cartoons -- if we are going by all Western animation Princesses, Elsa will definitely need to concede the 'first Princess with a girlfriend' title to Princess Bubblegum.

Which is nice.

Does this mean they definitely need to give Elsa a girlfriend or don't need to and should force the hetero agenda by giving her a boyfriend.

Maybe they should surprise us all by having Anna come out as the flannel wearing dyke while Elsa and Kristoff end up together.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169September 4, 2018 9:35 PM

Elsa looks amazing in rainbow!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170September 5, 2018 5:18 AM

How old is Elsa supposed to be? I assumed around her early-20s? Thanks to comp-het many lesbians only come out and start dating in College or much later in life compared to straight girls (i.e. Annas of the world) so perhaps earmarking Els as gay would make good narrative sense given how they've set her up.

For context the current eldest 'Princess' is Hercules' Meg/ara, who is vaguely aged somewhere between late-20s and mid-30-something. Her age is never explicitly mentioned but references are made to her jadedness and "experience" in a way that suggests she is not a young girl and quite a bit older than College-aged Herc. She's also the best-looking, smartest and sexiest woman in Disney but that's quite another discussion.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 171September 5, 2018 7:16 AM

For you, R171...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172September 5, 2018 8:08 AM

Talking about lesbians in films: an interesting observation.

I went to Frightfest in London a couple of weeks ago - a horror film festival (film types ranging from fantasy - slasher - psychological thriller). I saw 25 films. Out of those:

2 had lesbians as lead characters (one lesbian couple - one lesbian who ended up finding and saving her girlfriend). We got kisses 1 had a lesbian leading character (who survived) ! film comprised a number of short stories. One story featured two girls starting a relationship - both survived. We saw them having sex 1 film comprised an ensemble cast featuring lesbians and gays (it was actually an arty piece of nonsense). All survived. We only saw the lesbians having sex and kissing 1 film was a slasher film; Puppet Master - don't bother seeing it, it was pretty offensive. This featured gays and lesbians - again we only saw a lesbian kiss (very male orientated, here - they were horribly killed soon after) and only lesbians were referenced directly. All the gays and lesbians died 1 film had a gay couple. We got a gay kiss. They both died but then everyone did apart from final girl

by Anonymousreply 173September 5, 2018 8:31 AM

R173, what's your point?

by Anonymousreply 174September 5, 2018 12:11 PM

R174 I think 173's point might be that Lesbians are a trope in horror - but not just as monsters and a variation of the whores that must be punished. So that should mean that even if they coded Elsa as lesbian in development because they were pumping up the volume on the 'Elsa is a bad, dangerous monster -- and Anna is her intended victim' there are also horror movie tropes out there that coded lesbian characters are also meant to be a surprise stand in for mostly male audiences so they are most likely to be the only female that survive to the end as the good guy 'hero.' (This isn't actually new. I think the most famous early 'man hating dyke/coded lesbian' character to survive to the end of the film would be Ripley in the original Alien. At that time the twist was that she was written like a man in the draft that made it to be filmed. There was nothing lesbian about her -- but her angry 'man hating' attitude was one of the two ways lesbians tend to be portrayed. (Overly seductive but then interested in women too or sneering man haters.)

So when they left in some of the way the coded Elsa as a predatory, uncomfortably seductive (with Anna in the ice castle) ice monster in early development as a villain trope they were setting up the bait and switch 'female survivor is still just a stand in for the male viewer' trope found in horror? I guess I dunno.

I just found that original Glinda from Baum's time was coded as a scary ice queen style monster but with the twist that she was good. Famous fairy tale ice queens like the original Anderson snow Queen, Narnia's Snow Queen and The Lady of the Ice are often depicted as beautiful Fairy Queens who tempt children with sweets or affection only to destroy them with a soul stealing gaze or kiss. But Glinda in Baum's book apparently collected pretty girls in a 'benign' manner -- and her kiss turned the little orphan boy, Tip, into the forever young Fairy Queen Ozma. So the reverse 'deadly, seductive ice queen' fairy tale was already out there.

But original Glinda deserves her own thread. I mean. My god.

Until there -- here is a Japanese version of the Moomin Lady of the Ice trying to murder Little My who is definitely an Anna prototype.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 175September 5, 2018 2:22 PM

Watching Tangled the TV show. Totally getting lesbian vibes from that dark-haired girl Cassandra.

Flynn isn't nearly as hot in this. More cute. Boo.

Also, is it always adventure-centered? I enjoy more daily life stuff (e.g., preparing for a birthday party, etc.).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176September 5, 2018 3:01 PM

BTW, how does Rapunzel have her long hair again in the TV show?

by Anonymousreply 177September 5, 2018 3:09 PM

Wow, the original voice talent on that show.

by Anonymousreply 178September 5, 2018 3:12 PM

RE Tangled:

Cassandra is voiced by Eden Espinosa. Eden is amazing -- hopefully she will get to take Lempicka to Broadway, but it is a big show, so probably not. Cassandra has already been given a 'boyfriend' who she may or may not have been interested in. So at this point she has been coded as soft-butch and possibly bi -- while Elsa's lack of interest in men has yet to be 'corrected' by a nervous Disney.

R177 In the start of the TV series, Rapunzel's father started making rules about not letting Rapunzel out of the castle (over-protective because he had just gotten her back) and she befriended her handmaid/bodyguard Cassandra to go out on adventures with her. They went to the cliff where her original magical sundrop flower had been and found a magical thorny rock formation. Rapunzel touched the rocks and activated some magical 'moonstone' curse (big spikey rocks bursting out of the ground) going out of control in Corona. As she and Cassandra fled the scene, Rapunzel's hair also grew back. But now rather than having magical healing powers -- Rapunzel's new long hair is magically un-cutable (unbreakable like the rocks.)

Season one also introduced a boy, Varian, who slowly turned into a villain. He is voiced by Jeremy Jordan.

R171

Elsa is 21 at her Coronation -- making her the oldest Disney princess. I think Anna is supposed to turn 19 in Frozen. Frozen2 will probably take place in flashback as well as a 'few years later' -- ie when Anna is 21 and of age to get married.

If Tangled really does cross over with Frozen -- assuming short haired Rapunzel and Eugene are themselves arriving for the coronation -- Elsa's 21's birthday takes place some time after Rapunzel's 21st birthday and her wedding to Eugene. (Which has been made into a short but is obviously meant to take place after the events in the TV show.) So in the Frozen timeline, if Rapunzel is really there and not an easter egg, Rapunzel is OLDER than Elsa! (It is actually kind of a cute idea, that grown up and married Rapunzel and Eugene just honeymooned through the ice storm like it wasn't even a scary crisis.)

During the TV show (which takes place between Tangled the movie and the Tangled wedding short) Cassandra admits she is 23 and it is suggested that Rapunzel is about 20.

Putting it all together if they are really in the same world, in the year Elsa goes ice crazy, Cassandra is probably 25, Rapunzel is over 21, Elsa turns 21, and Anna is 18. Meg is probably 2500 years old.

by Anonymousreply 179September 5, 2018 5:52 PM

Ugh - no edit feature.

Anna is possibly supposed to turn 19 in the short, Frozen Fever.

by Anonymousreply 180September 5, 2018 5:55 PM

Always thought it was a mistake to chop off Rapunzel's hair *and* make it a drab brown at the end of Tangled. Giving Repunzel a mom 'do is not what little girls want. Or anyone. Should have kept some gold glints in it and a little more length. Sounds like there's a general awareness that the look was a mistake, so now the retcon of the TV show.

by Anonymousreply 181September 5, 2018 7:32 PM

[quote] Moomin Lady of the Ice trying to murder Little My who is definitely an Anna prototype.

If anyone's doing murder in that scenario, it's Little My. She is a savage and proud of it, and she would resent the 'princess' moniker besides. My is cute-looking, but she's not sweet-natured in the nice agreeable way Anna is (Snork-maiden is the 'Princess' of the Moomins, if there's to be one at all).

In the Moomintroll comic-strip and novels Little My gets her kicks biting people and setting them on fire, to name just two of her hobbies. She's also fond of punching other people as well as stealing or smashing things that aren't hers. Her brother Snufkin is of a similar ilk, fond of vandalism and whatnot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182September 5, 2018 8:16 PM

R 182

Don't forget that she hits on Snuffkin...her half brother.

But Anna was meant to be a not very Princess-like princess - I think they wanted to be Anne of the Green Gables meets Pippi Longstockings with her.

Snorkmaiden has long been left behind as a character anyone even wants to satirise. I do agree that Princess Vannelope is a MUCH more obvious example of Moomin influence on Jennifer Lee's Disney. She is an American Little My.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 183September 5, 2018 8:35 PM

I always liked Meg from Hercules, she's the only Disney heroine to not only be frankly sexy, she's a whore by profession!

And she has a sense of humor when none of the Princess types do. She should be a Datalounge Icon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 184September 5, 2018 11:33 PM

Meg is definitely OUR princess.

by Anonymousreply 185September 5, 2018 11:50 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 186September 5, 2018 11:54 PM

Listen to Idina singing WAY below her range in the TV Hercules as Circe. (The hip action for vamps in Hercules was kinda nuts.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 187September 6, 2018 12:02 AM

Hahah thanks! I hadn't seen that. I remember reading through the show's IMDb and the guest voices were pretty star studded.

by Anonymousreply 188September 6, 2018 12:20 AM

R188 -- the song actually gets better as it progresses.

by Anonymousreply 189September 6, 2018 12:38 AM

The Frozen2 production team visited Iceland before starting the second movie didn't they?

This raises a BIG question (notable today because hot Pabbie on Broadway is in the news for snatching a Trump2020 flag at Frozen's curtain call) -- will they replace the movie Rock Trolls with Icelandic Huldufolk? Are they replacing dumpy Troll Pabbie with Hunky Elf Pabbie?

Will we be looking at possibly meeting our first Hot Gay Fairy Prince/Troll King?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 190September 6, 2018 5:55 PM

Why would they replace the trolls? They're Kristoff and Sven's family....

by Anonymousreply 191September 6, 2018 6:01 PM

In the play Kristoff's family is hidden people -- and they have a kickass dance that elevates 'Fixer-Upper' -- but I think in Frozen2 they could just show that the Hidden People are another form that the Rock Trolls take when they want to be free of troll limitations.

They wouldn't replace them -- they would just let them have another form (in the first movie they had a simple rock form and the rock troll form) hidden away. In daylight, rock trolls are in rock form, at night around humans they do not trust or wish to frighten they are animated Frozen1 rock trolls (with similar rigging and design to Olaf).

With a few more years of animation time and character design they could go back to Glen Keane's aesthetic and reduce the dependence on Lassiter's rules of animation.

With a Hidden Folk option, Kristoff's rock family can also transform into humanoid Elves (with tails) who can mingle with humans if they need. They would probably keep the same voice actors (Annaleigh Ashford was one of the little trolls) but have a form that used animation designs more associated with Disney's Tarzan (keeping the look from the Broadway show.)

Another BIG plus for this would be that if the Rock Trolls have a sexy 'Tarzan-design' form (like the Broadway musical)-- Bulda and little pipsqueak Annaleigh Ashford would both be instantly hot and girlfriend options for Elsa. (Bulda bringing the Joanie duet partner and Annaleigh being a Galinda type should this option be dependent on the composers wanting to play things safe with rewriting hits Idina has already had.)

Here is Glen Keane (who left Disney during Tangled) discussing how character design used to be when he did Tarzan.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 192September 6, 2018 6:48 PM

Judging by the majority of the responses here, maybe they should make Elsa a gay guy.

by Anonymousreply 193September 7, 2018 5:42 AM

Hans. Pinker hole and remove the veins from the cock please.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 194September 7, 2018 6:13 AM

He's smelling all kinds of cookies here!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 195September 7, 2018 6:21 AM

Nope. Elsa is the reason the movie was a hit. Elsa was the most gay coded character. Elsa is going to be the focus of the next movie. Make Elsa a lesbian.

The first 'modern' Trans Fairy Tale character is Tip/Ozma. Frozen can rip off Wicked any way it wants -- it is a reworking of a fan fiction of a movie based on the books already. But if they want to jump on the trans bandwagon - they really should give credit to Baum for having written Ozma's transformation over a hundred years ago.

by Anonymousreply 196September 7, 2018 12:04 PM

As Walt Disney Television archive the master-tapes of NO. 73, isn't Sandi Toksvig their premier dyke?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 197September 7, 2018 11:00 PM

Are some of you writing in some secret Disney language?

by Anonymousreply 198September 7, 2018 11:01 PM

I have absolutely no idea what R197 is supposed to have to do with any of this.

Ellen is pretty much Disney's Premier Dyke if you are going by importance and including real people rather than discussing princesses.

premier |prēˈm(y)i(ə)r, ˈprēmēər, ˈprēˌmi(ə)r| adjective [ attrib. ] first in importance, order, or position; leading: Germany's premier rock band | the premier national publication. • of earliest creation: the premier issue of the quarterly.

by Anonymousreply 199September 7, 2018 11:26 PM

49% of UK people are ok with this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 200September 16, 2018 5:32 AM

I hope they make Elsa's love interest a really hot guy.

Like hotter than even Prince Hans, Flynn Rider, or Prince Eric. With an even more beautiful voice than Hans's.

Can't imagine whom they'd cast for his voice.

by Anonymousreply 201September 16, 2018 5:33 AM

Oh that was pretty cool R200

by Anonymousreply 202September 16, 2018 9:09 PM

R202, here's a crazy columnist complaining about it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 203September 16, 2018 9:18 PM

R203's columnist's complaints were not very well thought out. I'm annoyed that a paper I really like doesn't have a very informed feminist on board to handle this sort of discussion. Its like she didn't even bother to even review the materials she was complaining about.

by Anonymousreply 204September 17, 2018 4:20 PM

R204, Bidisha is a whole lot of crazy it seems. Yeah she didn't look closely at the materials. Snow White is tops in large part because more people have seen it.

by Anonymousreply 205September 17, 2018 5:24 PM

R205

Or they haven't seen it but they know who the hell she is.

Also the story that triggered her attitude noted that people OVER the age of 64 (not your typical audience for Disney princess movies) are the ones who would be offended if Elsa was gay. So she decides to get pissed off that Elsa is kind of a skinny albino?

Like she didn't even talk about Moana or how Maui learned to be a better demi god because she was offended by how horrible the original prince in the original Sleeping Beauty fairy tale behaved?

by Anonymousreply 206September 18, 2018 12:16 AM

I would like to believe she was joking-ish? When she described prince Philip kissing the sleeping Aurora as sexual assault.

by Anonymousreply 207September 18, 2018 5:16 AM

R207

In the original myth the prince finds the comatose woman and has sex with her. She does not awake until after she gives birth and the baby desperately tries to nurse on what it can crawl to and sucks the splinter from her finger reviving her. The prince isn't even there any more.

Maleficent is the only thing I can remember from Disney's Sleeping Beauty. I don't really blame her for not having any idea who Aurora and Philip are.

by Anonymousreply 208September 18, 2018 12:59 PM

There's also a version of Sleeping Beauty where the Prince's mother is an ogre and tries to eat Briar Rose and her two children. Only reason she doesn't manage it is because some kindly servant/huntsman type substitutes some tender animals and sends Beauty off to the forest with her kids. Prince returns from trip, finds out what happens and ogre-mother is killed in some suitably horrendous way.

Sleeping Beauty is one weird fairy tale.

by Anonymousreply 209September 19, 2018 1:55 AM

Frozen has a good lesson for Kavanaugh supporters.

Someone can seem perfect on the outside but actually be a sociopath.

by Anonymousreply 210September 28, 2018 9:22 PM

Let's give Hans a little credit. Not once did he lose his cool and turn into a snarling hellbeast, even when he was "Kill the Beast"ing poor Elsa.

by Anonymousreply 211September 28, 2018 9:45 PM

He was like Wesselton -- possibly grasping and rapey back in his day -- but all hysterics and pride while he hided behind armed goons and tries to take down the rightful queen as a witch.

by Anonymousreply 212September 28, 2018 10:29 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!