Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

HBO Series Sharp Objects Thread 2

Continue the discussion

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 292December 29, 2018 11:50 AM

Okay. No one will be talking about this show by the end of the week, much less next year.

by Anonymousreply 1August 27, 2018 2:02 PM

I tried and failed to read the book. Bleh. The main character was a cypher, her issue (not the booze one) came across as something a writer thought read cool rather than real, and the dialogue was terrible. I couldn’t finish it (despite forking over $$$ for a hard copy).

by Anonymousreply 2August 27, 2018 2:16 PM

The only thing outstanding about this miniseries was the set design--including that dollhouse.

by Anonymousreply 3August 27, 2018 2:33 PM

Agree with r3 - the show looked great, good design, cinematography, music, good acting ... but it all felt kind of empty. Camille is saved when her BOSS comes bursting into the house? Um what? And the big twist at the end felt contrived. I'm sure these points were made in the other thread ...

by Anonymousreply 4August 27, 2018 2:44 PM

A complete mess, tried to recapture the magic and chemistry of Big Little Lies in the murder mystery genre, but failed badly. Amy Adams was miscast and hadn’t a clue what to do. I dind’t believe for one second that alcohol had ever touched her lips in her entire life. Patricia Clarkson underplayed so resolutely she practically fell off the screen every time she had a scene (I will admit I gasped when she told Amy’s character “I never loved you” so casually.) Was there ever a point where she didn’t whisper? The teen girl was okay. Everyone else was meh to zero.

This MIGHT have been an okay two hour movie, but an eight episode series? Really? And that ending, wow, if I hadn’t already known the plot, I would have been furious I spent eight hours watching this tripe only to be rewarded with three words and fifteen seconds of flashbacks in a post credits sequence. Has that Marvel shit really infected episodic television? It’s SO fucking lazy. Easily my biggest hate watch of the year.

by Anonymousreply 5August 27, 2018 2:49 PM

Could anyone understand what Adora was saying to Camille in the bath tub? I turned my TV up full blast but couldn't make iy out.

Did she admit to killing Marian?

What was she saying about her own mother?

by Anonymousreply 6August 27, 2018 3:09 PM

R5 Well said.

by Anonymousreply 7August 27, 2018 3:11 PM

She didn’t admit it, R6.

by Anonymousreply 8August 27, 2018 3:25 PM

I’m also completely baffled by all the praise it seems to be receiving. I’ve only read a couple of dissenting opinions regarding the show.

by Anonymousreply 9August 27, 2018 3:26 PM

The reviews for the finale show that they were unimpressed but are scared to come right out and say they had problems with the show from the pacing to the writing. Backlash fear? And the people making the most noise are so consumed with trying to convince other people that the show is a masterpiece. True masterpieces or great shows don't need explanations and cheerleaders. Reminds me of FEUD, which faded after the last episode. That should have been 4 or 5 episodes too.

by Anonymousreply 10August 27, 2018 3:56 PM

The pacing and writing of this series was horrible. With the pacing it had in the first 6-7 episodes, it probably needed at least four more for a satisfactory conclusion. Not that it needed to be a 12 part series; it just needed to eliminate all the repetitive scenes and most of those tedious flashbacks. For example, how much time did they waste showing us Amy driving around with the same expression on her face?

by Anonymousreply 11August 27, 2018 4:17 PM

The twink was adorable.

by Anonymousreply 12August 27, 2018 4:20 PM

[quote]For example, how much time did they waste showing us Amy driving around with the same expression on her face?

Weirdly, they almost eliminated Camille's driving and drinking in the last three episodes.

To me, the most involving episode was episode six. It was paced differently (the flashback were done in a more sophisticated way) and I got a sense of Camille's affection for her younger sister.

by Anonymousreply 13August 27, 2018 8:30 PM

So there's no season 2. Are we supposed to think Camille turns in her sister and friends for murder? Or does Camille just look the other way?

So the most exciting part of the whole series goes unanswered?

What shite.

by Anonymousreply 14August 27, 2018 8:37 PM

I though it gave more of a True Detective vibe rather than Big Little Lies. BLL has a lot of social commentary and little jabs at California wealth/parenting today. Sharp was more white trash gothic/substance abuse with the music very similar to True Detective.

by Anonymousreply 15August 27, 2018 8:41 PM

“You don’t like my bloody’s. That’s ‘cause they’re shitty. I know. But every time I ask you to drink it, you do. Why is that?”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16August 27, 2018 8:57 PM

The way it ended made me angry. It was so "try" like, " OK, here's your 'shocking, surprise ending!" I know the boss rushing in to rescue her was jarring, but then I remembered how close they were and how concerned he was during their phone calls. And, as I recall, her last phone call to him she broke down and said, "It was my mother!" It was almost unintelligible, but it was that last phone call where he told her to just get on a plane and come home. So apparently when she completely lost it, broke down and told him it was her mother, he decided to come get her. I bought the paperback and "hate read " it. I agree with R2 and R5. I did think the last half of the book got a little better, but it was such an effort to get through the opening pages! Sheesh! I didn't think Amy was miscast, and I always love to watch Patricia Clarkson. But there was something so disjointed about the way the narrative unfolded. Yes, the pacing was off. All the driving around, etc. the sound editing was horrible and the editing in general was choppy. If you get through the book you will know that Camille turns Amma and her friends in for murdering Natalie and the other little girl in Wind Gap and Amma also murdered her last little friend from when she moved in with Amma. IMO the person who was miscast was Chris Messina.

by Anonymousreply 17August 27, 2018 9:04 PM

[quote]IMO the person who was miscast was Chris Messina.

He was dull, yes. What did his character do aside from hang in the bar, fuck Camille, and occasionally drive by some locations? Same with the sheriff, who we did see wake up, dress up, have his breakfast, fix the stop sign, go to the barber several times in the series. They did everything but investigate the murders.

by Anonymousreply 18August 27, 2018 9:10 PM

I feel like I had been edged for 7 weeks only to be sent home after a hasty, half-hearted handjob, whose sole purpose was simply to wrap up the whole thing as quickly as possible.

by Anonymousreply 19August 27, 2018 9:18 PM

It kind of grew on me, I liked the characters and milieu. But it was only skin deep, no pun intended.

by Anonymousreply 20August 27, 2018 9:27 PM

A few post show thoughts I'm terrible at figuring out who the killer is but from the get go we see that Amma is nothing like she is at home and everyone in town knows it. She's out at all hours, gets high and drunk, hangs out with guys much older than her and her friends, and admits to her sister that she lets boys do things to her, and yet no one tells Mama. Even if someone had an inkling that she was involved in the killings who would act on it? When Amma shows up at the convenience store it wasn't a coincidence. They were following Camille. Amma gets Camille fucked up because she has contemplated killing her too. Maybe that was going to be the night. As we see later, everyone in the room where the ecstasy game is being played is complicit in the murders. In hindsight, when Amma forces Camille's mouth open to take the ecstasy it's as if she is disdainful because the killer is right in front of her and she doesn't know how close she came to being her next victim. In the scene with Richard at the hospital it is obvious that Camille would be dead if Curry hadn't insisted on the cops going to the house and almost broke the door down. The two hapless cops would still be standing on the porch. It showed how bad Richard was at his job and how he failed Camille and the murdered girls. Don't judge but I teared up when Curry rushed up those stairs to save Camille. The only person in the world who actually gave a damn about her or loved her other than Marian.

by Anonymousreply 21August 27, 2018 9:36 PM

I don't know if Amma was born evil or the anti freeze/rat poison cocktails fucked up her brain.

by Anonymousreply 22August 27, 2018 9:41 PM

I think this is going to be a more enjoyable binge-watch on a cool fall evening when there is nothing else that I want to watch on t.v. Mix up a couple of cocktails and take a few hits of the pot and watch for all the clues that now seem so obvious as to who killed the girls and Marian.

by Anonymousreply 23August 27, 2018 9:59 PM

That all makes sense r22. It's somewhat frustrating that the storytelling was so elliptical and often hushed that it was hard to pick up on a lot of that. Then again I'm OK with shows that don't explain everything down to the T ala Law and Order.

Along those lines, it was heavily suggested though never quite said that the local sheriff was probably looking the other way with Adora because they had at one point been involved romantically.

Having seen this and both read and seen Gone Girl, it seems Gillian Flynn's archetypal character is a girl/woman who initially appears to be a victim but turns out to be a schemer or killer.

by Anonymousreply 24August 27, 2018 10:16 PM

Sorry I meant r21 in my previous post. But I don't have anything against you, r22.

by Anonymousreply 25August 27, 2018 10:17 PM

I haven’t watched it yet. I like to do 3 episodes at a time and see the whole thing over about a week with limited series, which I’ll do when summer’s finished and then report back with my definitive critique.

This is a big problem with ambitious short form TV that you have to be fed over a couple of months. You beg to be disappointed. It doesn’t matter that you have expert writing, a luxe cast and great people behind the camera.

If it’s not a sit-com the stakes are higher. When something’s sold as prestige people with higher than average expectations explode with anger if they feel taken for a ride. I appreciate that.

But I’ve also revisited a lot of stuff I found irritating first-run and ended up liking a lot more when the cheerleading was over.

by Anonymousreply 26August 27, 2018 10:27 PM

Will dear Amy be winning an Emmy to go with her 2 Golden Globes?

by Anonymousreply 27August 27, 2018 10:32 PM

[quote] It doesn’t matter that you have expert writing, a luxe cast and great people behind the camera.

I would argue that the source material is the weakest link here. The principal actors did a great job, the cinematography was really good but, when my partner who's horrible at guessing the culprits in whodunnits exclaimed after the second episode "Oh, it's Amma, right?", it was rather uneventful, in retrospect. If you're going to drop major clues as to who the killer is early on (and end the whole thing with the hinted at conclusion) a better writer would've used the whole murder mystery simply as a backdrop to give us a better insight into the cast of characters in that deeply troubled family. Except for a couple of minor reveals here and there, we ended up with barely any more knowledge about Camille, Adora, or Amma than what was right there, on the surface, all along.

by Anonymousreply 28August 27, 2018 10:43 PM

[quote] I don't know if Amma was born evil or the anti freeze/rat poison cocktails fucked up her brain.

Does the book address this at all?

[quote]This is a big problem with ambitious short form TV that you have to be fed over a couple of months. You beg to be disappointed. It doesn’t matter that you have expert writing, a luxe cast and great people behind the camera.

Eight hours of TV programming equals four feature length films, so you are right that the audience will demand a lot for their time. And they should.

by Anonymousreply 29August 27, 2018 10:53 PM

Gillian Flynn writes potboilers. It’s not exactly elevated. Gone Girl had one good twist the reader could see coming from a mile away and that was it. I’m not sure why everyone thinks she’s so great

by Anonymousreply 30August 28, 2018 1:13 AM

So what did you all think of the sweater as a shawl, worn by the husband? I thought you only did that if there was an actual possibility you might need to wear it. He wore it like an accessory.

by Anonymousreply 31August 28, 2018 1:23 AM

The character of the husband was not fleshed out at all.

by Anonymousreply 32August 28, 2018 1:24 AM

None of the characters were really fleshed out. I suppose we get to understand Camille, but as far as anyone else goes, not really.

by Anonymousreply 33August 28, 2018 1:26 AM

This show just sucked.

by Anonymousreply 34August 28, 2018 1:27 AM

Amy Adams is miscast in a lot of roles

by Anonymousreply 35August 28, 2018 1:29 AM

Camille was a drunken slut!

by Anonymousreply 36August 28, 2018 1:32 AM

I never imagined it was the sister. I did think it was the mother. Those poor murdered girls had to deal with being poisoned by a mother figure and murdered by a group of mean girls from hell.

by Anonymousreply 37August 28, 2018 2:42 AM

Amma killed the two girls because she was jealous of the attention Adora was paying them. I don't think she had any interest in killing Camille because Adora clearly had little affection for her oldest daughter.

by Anonymousreply 38August 28, 2018 2:45 AM

I just can’t believe this will be my SECOND cable series that is a huge hit and critical darling, and yet do to limited screen time AGAIN, I will be fucked out my Emmy

by Anonymousreply 39August 28, 2018 3:15 AM

Huge hit? Okay. Came in below Night Of and BLL, with no competition all summer. Night Of had the Olympics and BLL had the Oscars, March Madness, and MLB Opening Day.

by Anonymousreply 40August 28, 2018 4:53 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41August 28, 2018 4:57 AM

Fuck off, R41.

You are going to post a photo of a successful actress with a (former) successful producer from some industry event as a proof of what? I'm surprised you didn't write 'lol', which seems to be the favorite of dumb trolls these days.

by Anonymousreply 42August 28, 2018 5:01 AM

Amy, she was low-key good in this. Would have been wonderful as Tonya Harding.

by Anonymousreply 43August 28, 2018 5:03 AM

What about the MAID?!?!? Don’t tell me she didn’t witness SOMETHING! And how was the husband not an accessory to attempted murder?

by Anonymousreply 44August 28, 2018 5:04 AM

R42 She got respect, status, awards and nominations because of her work with Wankenstein she, Williams and Winslet ain't no different than Goop and JLaw

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45August 28, 2018 5:22 AM

I guess Perkins character knew all and didn’t care.

by Anonymousreply 46August 28, 2018 5:31 AM

[quote]R42 She got respect, status, awards and nominations because of her work with Wankenstein she, Williams and Winslet ain't no different than Goop and JLaw

Nonsense. Her big breaktrough was Junebug. She was nominated for Best Supporting Oscar. I know the director and I can tell you that everyone involved in the film knew that she was talented and her casting had about zero do to with Weinstein.

Winslet's big break was Heavenly Creatures. And I seriously doubt she fucked anyone to get the part in Sense and Sensibility or Titanic.

You can't stand the fact that there are women who posses genuine talent. That's really not their problem. It's your problem.

by Anonymousreply 47August 28, 2018 5:33 AM

^possess

by Anonymousreply 48August 28, 2018 5:34 AM

[quote]I guess Perkins character knew all and didn’t care.

I think she did care. Otherwise, why the pills and the booze.

by Anonymousreply 49August 28, 2018 5:38 AM

This thread is full of haters. I hate DL.

by Anonymousreply 50August 28, 2018 7:03 AM

DL just hates everything.

by Anonymousreply 51August 28, 2018 7:13 AM

Wearing a sweater as an accessory tied over the shoulders was a very preppy, 60's, 700's thing to do. I've seen pictures of my preppy father doing just that.

by Anonymousreply 52August 28, 2018 9:44 AM

[R21] and [R28], I agree with so much of what you both have written!

I personally had *really* enjoyed the series and was quite swept up in its “milieu” (as someone upthread put it) and its whole mix of Southern Gothic murder mystery and horrifying family disfunction (almost as if Tennessee Williams had written a noir mystery)—until that finale!

The finale felt like an entirely separate entity (I even double checked to make sure it was the same director!) and inexplicably dropped almost all the character development and so many of the other elements it *appeared* to be using to “build up to” (what would be) an emotionally revelatory and epic series finale.

I couldn’t wait for this episode and then felt *so* short changed, and it had nothing to do with the ultimate resolutions of the plot (who did what).

The finale just leaned 100% on very surface resolutions and left so much in the dust: what ever happened to John Keane? Why was Richard a complete, personality free drone at the end? What was with the series long build up of the sheriff and Adora’s relationship (was he secretly Amma or Camille’s bio dad? And who the fuck was Camille’s bio dad anyway?), What was on Amma’s second “secret” phone?, was the shack in the forest ever important to the plot? What *was* the deal with Adora’s husband and Amma/Marian’s father? Where did (the very much built up) Wind Gap and all its generational creepiness go in the last episode? (Also: wasn’t Adora’s husband an accomplice to at least one murder (Marian) and two attempted murders? WTF?

They built all these plot elements up expertly (in my opinion) and then just dropped them all—abandoned them all in favor or a Lifetime movie or Law & Order style surface level procedural/“surprise reveal of the killer” ending—with none of the emotional depth that had marked the rest of the series.

It was bizarre and was a huge shock...

I had loved the series and thought it was so carefully constructed and put together (even with its various flaws) and then I couldn’t believe how opposite and shallow the finale felt compared to the entire rest of the show.

It ruined it for me (which sucks).

So many missed opportunities for that ending, and such a lack of continuity with the rest of the series...

It also would have been amazing to see something like a final jailhouse confrontation through the glass between Camille and Adora (like “Nailed you, you pious bitch! Who’s the fucked up one *now*?!?” Or even Camille jut holding up a picture of Marian to Adora through the glass and telling Adora to burn in hell or asking why—and then some epic fucked up monologue from either one), but we got no such resolution or climax in that last ep...

It just felt like a very cheap ending to a very rich, complex show. Sigh....

by Anonymousreply 53August 28, 2018 10:35 AM

Here’s what I posted last night at the end of DL’s “HBO Sharp Objects pt. 1” thread about my (disappointed and surprised) reactions to the finale. I still don’t understand how/why they dropped the ball so hard with that last episode:

Wow, the last episode was such a letdown! The episode preceding it was *much* better and felt more like the rest of the series.

I have enjoyed the show very much so far and had no problem with how the main plot points were resolved (who the killers were, etc.), but quality-wise, the finale was puzzling.

It felt like a patchwork of things from other episodes, left a lot emotionally unresolved, and kind of felt thrown together and all over the place.

It felt unlike any other episode in the series. The episode was like a hodgepodge and lacked all of the meticulousness of previous entries in the series.

The writing was crap all of the sudden and they seemed to completely abandon the strong “character study” aspect of the show (tracing and illuminating Camille and Adora’s characters, pasts, and personalities) in favor of purely focusing on the plot machinations and the “surprise” at the end. Vickery (and whatever was the extent of his connection to Adora and her daughters/family), Camille and Kansas City’s relationship, Camille coming to full terms with her past, what the *fuck* actually made Adora and Amma tick.....(Oh, and Wind Gap itself), *all* of this just suddenly fell by the wayside in favor of a paint by numbers Law & Order SVU type episode where the *sole* purpose was to be....’Surprise! Amma did it! Isn’t that freaky?!?’

It was a big letdown; the series has been such a great character study and so detailed and well put together until this episode for some reason...

(Were they trying to purposely sabatoge the last episode or something??)

by Anonymousreply 54August 28, 2018 10:41 AM

I noticed the downtown area of Wind Gap was always deserted expect for the day Adora took her daughters shopping. Otherwise, not a person or car anywhere. Was it supposed to be an impoverished town?

by Anonymousreply 55August 28, 2018 2:59 PM

Adams may not win an Emmy, but Clarkson surely will.

by Anonymousreply 56August 28, 2018 3:27 PM

Adora = Endora

My favorite scene was when Adora was handcuffed...

by Anonymousreply 57August 28, 2018 5:00 PM

It's beyond me why Camilla took her mother's "medicine" since she knew it was deadly.

by Anonymousreply 58August 28, 2018 7:41 PM

I think Camille suspected that Adora was close to poisoning Amma to death (it certainly looked that way), so she sacrificed herself.

I didn't expect her to do this, because she seemed very determined at the end of the previous episode. The way she storms out of E. Perkins' house, I thought she would barge into Adora's house guns blazing and dragging Amma out of there.

by Anonymousreply 59August 28, 2018 7:47 PM

^drag

by Anonymousreply 60August 28, 2018 7:51 PM

Camille allowed herself to be poisoned, I suspect she knew the milk was laced too, to provide hard evidence that adora was slowly killing Amma with her homemade medicine just as she did Marian. Since Camille wasn't going to be around much longer Adora went in for the kill by making the concoction more lethal and feeding her bottle after bottle. Richard turned out to be a total loser. Anyone who has ever watched an episode of Colombo would have seen those clues for what they were. Alan lying that she was out with girlfriends although her car was still at the house. Not being able to get in touch with her by phone although she was still trying to get a story and would have taken his call to see if he had any new information. And waiting on the porch with the other haples dick like two polite gentleman callers who didn't want to impose despite Curry telling them that Adora was the killer and Camille was going to confront her.

by Anonymousreply 61August 28, 2018 8:05 PM

^hapless

by Anonymousreply 62August 28, 2018 8:06 PM

I will be shocked if Clarkson wins the Emmy. Unlike leads, supporting miniseries folk can only submit one episode. What would be her tape? The festivital?

Also all of her lines were whispers.

by Anonymousreply 63August 28, 2018 8:24 PM

Is that the episode where Adora tells Camille that she never loved her, R63?

by Anonymousreply 64August 28, 2018 8:26 PM

The most telling episode was "Closer", in which we learn the origins of "Calhoun Day" , Adora's ancestor was raped & tortured by the "Yankees" during the Civil War & this horrific incident has been turned into a festival! Adora & Amma apparently view young females as sacrificial lambs, who must suffer for good of the community, a pagan ritual handed down from mother to daughter, except Amma doesn't wait to give birth to start the family tradition.

by Anonymousreply 65August 28, 2018 8:26 PM

But Clarkson has won incredible reviews, it's a huge role for Supporting, and she has always been a critics' darling, like Allison Janney.

by Anonymousreply 66August 28, 2018 8:30 PM

Allison Janney would have been amazing in this actually. I’m not even a Stan of hers

by Anonymousreply 67August 28, 2018 9:20 PM

Australian actress Eliza Scanlen, 19, who played Amma did a fine American accent.

by Anonymousreply 68August 28, 2018 9:27 PM

BUMP!

by Anonymousreply 69August 29, 2018 12:07 AM

The twink should have shown dong.

by Anonymousreply 70August 29, 2018 12:09 AM

Scalen should get the Emmy over Clarkson, for the way she delivered that last line alone. We've seen Patricia do the faded Blanche Dubois bit before.

by Anonymousreply 71August 29, 2018 1:16 AM

Amy Adams is the only cast member who deserves serious Emmy consideration.

by Anonymousreply 72August 29, 2018 1:18 AM

I agree with R72.

by Anonymousreply 73August 29, 2018 1:22 AM

Adora not only tortured Amma with poison but also with the hideous dresses she bought her.

by Anonymousreply 74August 29, 2018 1:52 AM

Amma was going to let Camille die cause she wanted to eat cake. I really hope Camille turned her in.

by Anonymousreply 75August 29, 2018 2:01 AM

[quote]Agree with [R3] - the show looked great, good design, cinematography, music, good acting ... but it all felt kind of empty. Camille is saved when her BOSS comes bursting into the house? Um what? And the big twist at the end felt contrived. I'm sure these points were made in the other thread ...

The boss rescues her in the book too. And if you want more detail on the aftermath of the reveal you have to read the book. I think they could have done another 30 minutes in the final episode.

by Anonymousreply 76August 29, 2018 2:05 AM

[quote]So there's no season 2. Are we supposed to think Camille turns in her sister and friends for murder? Or does Camille just look the other way?

Read the book.

by Anonymousreply 77August 29, 2018 2:10 AM

[quote]The character of the husband was not fleshed out at all.

He wasn't in the book either, as I recall.

by Anonymousreply 78August 29, 2018 2:14 AM

[quote]I think she did care. Otherwise, why the pills and the booze.

She did care. She kept putting in requests for investigations and the hospital kept denying them.

by Anonymousreply 79August 29, 2018 2:15 AM

For those of us who do not want to the read book, can you just tell us what happens?

by Anonymousreply 80August 29, 2018 2:28 AM

I think someone did. Camille turns in her sister and her friends. I didn’t read the book.

by Anonymousreply 81August 29, 2018 2:42 AM

Did Alan know what was going on? He seemed to purposely look the other way. Why did Adora poison Marion and not Camille? Why do you think Camille started to "cut" so severely? Was it the rape, Marion's death, her mother's mental abuse?

by Anonymousreply 82August 29, 2018 2:43 AM

I don't know why everyone thought the ending was such a letdown or cheap shock or whatever. Everyone knew Clarkson's character did not pull out the girl's teeth and everyone knew that Amma was a psycho. Hell, the fact that she visited her mother and missed after everything the mother had done was ample proof Amma didn't think the mother poisoning the girls wasn't that big a deal to her. She certainly could have called the cops when Camille was being poisoned but just decided "she couldn't." Obviously, she felt like she could easily get over Camille's death, but not her mother's imprisonment.

Just because a plot point didn't get a melodramatic conclusion it doesn't mean that it was dropped. The cop calling Camille a slut was mostly about what a dick he was. When he saw all the cutting on on her body, he realized he was being a dick, but he pretty much abandoned her until she was nearly killed, so as Amma said, "What a dick."

If people called this show a "masterpiece" then it was overpraised. But it's hardly the disaster people here make it out to be.

But hey, the internet is where mob mentality runs free. Get a couple of people to badmouth something, pretty soon everyone is part of the sadistic mob.

No wonder it was so easy for the Russians to manipulate the election. They know exactly what kind of whistle it takes to call forth a pack of wolves.

by Anonymousreply 83August 29, 2018 2:52 AM

" Why did Adora poison Marion and not Camille?"

In the last episode, when Camille is in the tub, Adora tells Camille that Marion was always at her side. Adora made Marion dependent on her, then, resented her daughter for being dependent. While Adora was completely indifferent to Camille, she had a grudging respect for her for not being as docile as Marion.

by Anonymousreply 84August 29, 2018 2:55 AM

Anybody use the closed captioning function on their TV for the parts that were hard to hear?

by Anonymousreply 85August 29, 2018 2:57 AM

“You don’t like my bloody’s. That’s ‘cause they’re shitty. I know. But every time I ask you to drink it, you do. Why is that?”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86August 29, 2018 3:01 AM

So you're going to post that same meme every 70 posts?

That's somewhat restrained of you comparatively speaking.

by Anonymousreply 87August 29, 2018 3:03 AM

The deus machina of the editor saving the day was annoying. The dropped plotlines, annoying. The mean girls were snickering over a picture of a man with his teeth torn out. Were they the accomplices? How did the blood end up in the girlfriend's poolhouse? What did Camille find in the garbage? What made her suddenly look in the dollhouse?Was her drinking cured when her mom went to jail? Alan and the part time maid never saw anything? Cut out an episode's worth of drunk driving to Led Zeppelin and tie some of this shit up.

by Anonymousreply 88August 29, 2018 3:17 AM

Yes, Amma's 2 friends helped her kill the girls. They killed one of the girls in the poorhouse. One of the friends - Jodes I think - was Ashley's sister.

by Anonymousreply 89August 29, 2018 3:25 AM

The coup de television was having Patricia Clarkson speak so softly even closed captioning subtitles couldn’t decipher her

by Anonymousreply 90August 29, 2018 3:37 AM

[quote]Did Alan know what was going on? He seemed to purposely look the other way. Why did Adora poison Marion and not Camille? Why do you think Camille started to "cut" so severely? Was it the rape, Marion's death, her mother's mental abuse?

No offense, but it's as if you did not watch the show at all.

by Anonymousreply 91August 29, 2018 3:37 AM

I thought the same thing as r91. I wonder how much of the criticism is from people who had the show running in the background while they did other things.

Don't get me wrong, there are several shows I watch while playing computer games because watching them closely isn't going to improve either experience.

With this show I knew I'd either have to watch it closely or not at all.

by Anonymousreply 92August 29, 2018 3:42 AM

Yeah, I'd hate to miss a minute of that moody staring out the car window.

by Anonymousreply 93August 29, 2018 3:55 AM

That whispering shit isn’t going to earn Clarkson any awards.

by Anonymousreply 94August 29, 2018 4:08 AM

“You were always so willful. Never sweet.” “like you were punishing me for being born. You made me feel like a fool, like a child. And now you come back here, and all I kept thinking was…

you smell ripe.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95August 29, 2018 4:13 AM

Or that repeating shot of the screw in the toilet, r93! SNL could have a field day parodying this!!

by Anonymousreply 96August 29, 2018 4:15 AM

R47 = fangirl

Sharp Objects' finale squandered the show's promise.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97August 29, 2018 5:24 AM

[quote] tried to recapture the magic and chemistry of Big Little Lies in the murder mystery genre,

BLECCCCCCHHHHHHH...

Sorry... go ahead dispensing your PR treacle, Mary, while I wipe away the vomit from the edges of my lips...

by Anonymousreply 98August 29, 2018 6:41 AM

The biggest mystery of the whole miniseries for me was how on Earth Camille ever managed to carve words into her back and shoulders all by herself.

by Anonymousreply 99August 29, 2018 6:44 AM

They suggested in the last episode Alan (the stepfather) knew pretty much what Adora was doing but chose to tune out and ignore it. He said something about the poisons were her own business.

by Anonymousreply 100August 29, 2018 6:49 AM

Did anyone say why Camille didn’t check into a hotel ?

by Anonymousreply 101August 29, 2018 8:25 AM

Wow, [R97], so I’m not the only one feeling cheating by the ending!

Again, not referring to the “who done it” facts/aspects of the finale—which were fine—but the major drop in quality in the finale in terms of writing, character development, matching the build up of the previous episodes/continuity, the *many* dropped story threads and abandoned “side characters”, and the sudden abandonment of the overall thematic depth and complexity the series had previously maintained so strongly...

Such a departure from what was an excellent series about the secrets people keep and the lingering consequences of deep family dysfunction (among other things....)

The finale performances were excellent, but they were all (director included) working from a very simplistic “let’s just wrap this up” type finale script that gave them all very little to do/work with.

by Anonymousreply 102August 29, 2018 11:01 AM

P.S. Meant to also say: thank you very much for posting that article, [R97]!

by Anonymousreply 103August 29, 2018 11:03 AM

r99, me too! I thought I had missed some explanation of how the perfect lettering ended up on places she coouldn't reach.

by Anonymousreply 104August 29, 2018 2:28 PM

Rewatched the finale with closed captioning. Why the fuck did they allow Clarkson to whisper her lines during the scene in the bathroom when this was what we were waiting for? Some insight into how she became a monster. Even Adams mumbled her lines. As for Alan, Flynn gave an interview and said that Alan was a character she wrote purely for her own amusement. That he was never meant to be an integral part of the plot. I guess that explains the sweaters in that suffocating heat. That considered, I thought Henry Czerny did a great job of portraying him as so ridiculously ineffectual and feckless and yet there was always something below the surface that made me think he was an accomplice...to something.

by Anonymousreply 105August 29, 2018 6:54 PM

So what did she find in the garbage that made her run to the dollhouse?

by Anonymousreply 106August 29, 2018 7:04 PM

R106, she found the mini quilt Amma and her new friend made together (this was part of the "new life" montage in the new apartment) in the garbage can and decided to put it back in the dollhouse.

Of all things, I have to say, this one was done quite on the nose.

by Anonymousreply 107August 29, 2018 7:10 PM

Yes. Right after the visit from Mae's mother anxiously asking if she had seen her. Then finding the coverlet in the trash which led her to the dollhose where she noticed the small doll propped in the window like Natalie Keene and then discovering the tooth. All well done with an increasing sense of dread.

by Anonymousreply 108August 29, 2018 7:16 PM

Was it suggested Adora took the blame for the killing of the two girls or was she arrested just for the attempted murder of her daughters/murder of Marian? So with the exception of Camille in the final scene, no-one else in any wiser about the fate of the two girls?

by Anonymousreply 109August 29, 2018 7:21 PM

I enjoyed the series. I could tell from the beginning that Amma was "off" but didn't suspect her of murder. I thought Adora and Alan were partners in crime. I'm no detective.

by Anonymousreply 110August 29, 2018 7:25 PM

There was a brief courtroom scene towards the end in which Adora pleads not guilty, R109. I assumed that meant that there was no confession, and there could not have been one since Adora didn't kill the two girls and she would not have known the details of their murders.

by Anonymousreply 111August 29, 2018 7:26 PM

Does the book explain the blood encrusted pliers used to pull the girls' teeth? Why were they left in the kitchen drawer and unwashed?

by Anonymousreply 112August 29, 2018 7:36 PM

You're expecting too much finesse from a middlebrow potboiler writer like Gillian Flynn.

by Anonymousreply 113August 29, 2018 7:50 PM

R77 Why the fuck should I read the book when they made an 8 hour series out of it?

'Let's make this 8 hours long, but not put in the ending so people must read the book" - shite

by Anonymousreply 114August 29, 2018 8:04 PM

SPOILERS

In the book Adora is charged with murdering Marian, Camille's sister and obviously convicted, because Amma visits her in prison. Amma and her friends get busted for the two lilttle girls. Amma also gets busted for her new little friend when she goes to live with Camille.

In the TV Program, Camille finds the teeth by accident. She sees the miniature bed spread the girlfriend of Amma made for the doll house bed, that Amma had thrown away, and she brings it back to the Doll House to put it in place, when she looks closely she sees teeth in the "floor" of the master bedroom just like the ivory floor in Adora's room. then she sees an actual tooth. and picks it up in shock, as we see Amma arrive at the bedroom door and watch Camille.

by Anonymousreply 115August 29, 2018 8:16 PM

How does Camille find out about the teeth in the book r115?

by Anonymousreply 116August 29, 2018 8:35 PM

Amma wove the hair of one of the dead girls into a rug in the dollhouse.

by Anonymousreply 117August 29, 2018 8:42 PM

[quote]How does Camille find out about the teeth in the book

She finds out when she destroys the dollhouse after the last murder.

by Anonymousreply 118August 29, 2018 8:46 PM

R117 I missed that. Was it on the TV show?

by Anonymousreply 119August 29, 2018 10:03 PM

R99, that was one of my problems with the book. Her special cutting twist was so unrealistic.

by Anonymousreply 120August 29, 2018 10:04 PM

What was up with Amma slowly kissing Camille when they were both on ecstasy and then kissing or almost kissing her that other (earlier) time on the bed when they were both wasted (I can’t recall the exact circumstances)?

It felt almost incestuous and one time Amma had done it after holding Camille really close and slowly saying, “I’ve never had a seeeeeeester before...” (sister) in a really exaggerated way.

Was that in the book? Were they showing that Amma was cray and had major boundary issues? I wondered what was up with that...

by Anonymousreply 121August 29, 2018 10:25 PM

Also: is it suggested in the book that Amma was “born evil” (like a bad apple, another Adora) or was she made that way by a combo of the effects of Adora’s rat poison on her growing brain and Adora’s abusive parenting style?

And does Amma have any redeeming qualities, or is she really pure sociopath who cares for no one?

by Anonymousreply 122August 29, 2018 10:28 PM

Lastly, who the fuck was Camille’s bio father?

The timeline was weird. If Alan was Marian and Amma’s biological father, then who fathered Camille? She was very close in age to Marian and I initially thought they had the same father.

Obviously Camille was the eldest. Was Adora the town whore as a teen and had Camille illegitimately? Adora wouldn’t tell her anything about her father in the series, which I thought was bizarre.

Camille was a reporter; was there no birth certificate?

I had thought the series might throw a curve ball and explain the weirdly close Adora/chief Vickery relationship by him being Camille’s bio father from once upon a time when they were both super young...

by Anonymousreply 123August 29, 2018 10:35 PM

I thought it was suggested Vickery was her father.

by Anonymousreply 124August 29, 2018 10:37 PM

The series also made such a big deal about Camille’s dead roommate from rehab (so many visions of her in white that Camille kept seeing—among other “women in white” that she kept having visions of) and they even devoted a whole episode to that storyline.

I was surprised that they never circled back to that incident somehow in the series, since they kept mentioning and showing the dead roommate.

I was even wondering if they were going to have some bizarre “twist” where Camille had some secret emotional problems and was an “unreliable witness” and had—in reality—accidentally killed her roommate while blacked out or something and couldn’t face it (if the plot took an even darker, more bizarre turn...)

Also: in the scene where Adora comes to visit Camille in that rehab with a bunch of her special roses and has a meltdown at the front desk (as witnessed by Camille), do we have any idea why she melted down and started throwing the roses everywhere?

by Anonymousreply 125August 29, 2018 11:02 PM

The finale definitely should have been longer to tie up these loose story and emotional threads.

I would have liked an Adora/Camille jailhouse confrontation, more with Camille and Richard, a longer Amma/Camille conversation after Camille realizes the truth (or they could just discuss Adora for real for the first time), and could have done entirely without the “new life” montage in St. Louis and Camille petering around the house and at her boss’s house for dinner.

All that really killed the momentum of the series for me and felt like a waste (although I get how it was used to push the “Amma is the killer” plotline further, obviously...)

by Anonymousreply 126August 29, 2018 11:07 PM

Also: visually, everything in the series—every scene—was generally meant to be important, so, did anyone notice what picture suddenly fell off Camille’s wall and to the ground (and that she then hung back up) right after Mae’s frantic mother visited and right before Camille discovered that Amma was the killer after her look through the trash?

by Anonymousreply 127August 29, 2018 11:11 PM

[quote]Also: in the scene where Adora comes to visit Camille in that rehab with a bunch of her special roses and has a meltdown at the front desk (as witnessed by Camille), do we have any idea why she melted down and started throwing the roses everywhere?

That particular moment connects to Adora's dramatic (and very public) crying after Amma disappears at the end of "Calhoun Day". I'm guessing that these two moments represent Adora's tendency for drama, but of calculated kind.

by Anonymousreply 128August 29, 2018 11:13 PM

I thought her meltdown at the clinic was to do with the fact they'd have to cut the thorns off her roses?

by Anonymousreply 129August 29, 2018 11:15 PM

People are overanalyzing the shit out of every little detail of the show, expecting them to have some deeper meaning or that they hold the key to better understanding the main characters. My take on it is that Vallee simply used them to establish the general atmosphere of unease and creepiness.

by Anonymousreply 130August 29, 2018 11:18 PM

It was a photo of Camille and the sister who died, R127.

by Anonymousreply 131August 29, 2018 11:20 PM

It might have been, R129. I can't remember right now if there was any dialogue there.

by Anonymousreply 132August 29, 2018 11:21 PM

R126 I felt like they were showing how Camille the big sister was taking responsibility, rescuing Amma from Pycho Mom and building a new normal life with surrogate parents/friends and a new school and a school friend, etc. And then it all fell apart.

by Anonymousreply 133August 29, 2018 11:36 PM

Thank you, [R131]!

by Anonymousreply 134August 29, 2018 11:39 PM

Did anyone see the Charlize Theron starring 2015 adaptation of Gillian Flynn’s “Dark Places”?

It it worth seeing? Better or equal to “Sharp Objects”?

by Anonymousreply 135August 29, 2018 11:44 PM

Who is more evil: Veda Pierce or Amma Crellin?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136August 29, 2018 11:53 PM

[quote]I missed that. Was it on the TV show?

It was in the book.

by Anonymousreply 137August 30, 2018 12:16 AM

Who is more evil: Amma Crellin or Amabella?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138August 30, 2018 12:37 AM

[R130], there *was* a lot of effort put into the visual imagery of the show and almost all of it did seem to have a deeper meaning to the story.

For instance: this Refinery 29 article about the “Sharp Objects” finale says that if you analyze the post-credits scene that shows Amma murdering all the different girls, the same exact nail polish shade has been applied to the fingers of each girl’s hand before she is murdered (Amma’s “serial killer signature” they say).

They also note that Amma’s new friend Mae has no nail polish on during the last time we see her at Camille’s boss’s house for dinner, but when she’s being killed during the post-credits sequence, she is wearing the same bright pink shade of nail polish as all of Amma’s other victims.

(They also say in the article that in the *book* Amma keeps John Keane’s little sister Natalie Keane captive in her other friend’s carriage house for days before she ultimately kills her and places her body in the alley. They also note that in the series there is a multi-day time gap between Natalie disappearing and being found dead in the alley. I thought that was creepy as fuck!)

by Anonymousreply 139August 30, 2018 12:37 AM

Here is the Refinery 29 article about Amma putting the same shade of nail polish on all the girls and it being seen in the post credits sequence.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140August 30, 2018 12:39 AM

I think the nail polish detail would be considered content, not imagery.

by Anonymousreply 141August 30, 2018 12:40 AM

[quote](They also say in the article that in the *book* Amma keeps John Keane’s little sister Natalie Keane captive in her other friend’s carriage house for days before she ultimately kills her and places her body in the alley. They also note that in the series there is a multi-day time gap between Natalie disappearing and being found dead in the alley. I thought that was creepy as fuck!)

In the book, John Keane had his suspicions about her which explains the dialogue Camille overheard about him having an eye on Amma when she was by the pool.

by Anonymousreply 142August 30, 2018 1:11 AM

Oh, that makes sense, [R142]. Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 143August 30, 2018 1:40 AM

it shows Amma killing the girls, but it looks as if she did it with her friends.

by Anonymousreply 144August 30, 2018 1:46 AM

So bitch face Amma also killed the young black teen? Was that the black girl's tooth Camille found in the dollhouse?

I wasn't paying much attention to the last episode because it was so slow paced. I had no idea the actress who played Amma was Australian.

That said, Gillian is an awful and predictable writer. I couldn't 't even get through Gone Girl, the book and the movie. Truly shitty writing.

by Anonymousreply 145August 30, 2018 3:43 AM

R145 One is forcing you to warch the show or read her novels. Seriously, some people are really this dumb?

by Anonymousreply 146August 30, 2018 7:08 AM

Sharp Objects wasn't great as I was expecting but I liked it better than Gone Girl...

by Anonymousreply 147August 30, 2018 11:06 AM

I saw Dark Places and it was shiteous. Truly. I'm over Gillian Flynn. I read Gone Girl, I read Sharp objects, and she is not a good writer. She is not.

R136 & R138, Amma is more evil than Rhoda Penmark/Inga Danker!

by Anonymousreply 148August 30, 2018 11:26 AM

So in this contrivance, Alan was a feint. He was supposed to be either an accessory or a possible suspect. The old trope of the 'sinister presence". Funny. For a little while I thought bumbling, sly police chief Vickery was the culprit.

by Anonymousreply 149August 30, 2018 2:00 PM

Rhoda has always been the gold standard for child sociopaths. Veda was a manipulative little slut and unapologetic social climber who looked down on her mother and relished hurting and humiliating her but she didn't set out to kill Monty. I think Amma has knocked Rhoda out of first. I thought the way Scanlen drifted between roller blading bad seed and Mama's good girl was some pretty impressive acting.

by Anonymousreply 150August 30, 2018 2:08 PM

[quote]did anyone notice what picture suddenly fell off Camille’s wall and to the ground (and that she then hung back up) right after Mae’s frantic mother visited

VULTURE: As soon as Camille closes the door after talking to Mae’s mom, a framed photo falls off the wall. It’s a picture of Camille and Marian, although that’s hard to make it out. (An HBO rep had to confirm that detail for me.) What’s more important is what this small incident makes us notice. First, that Camille has placed her memories in a more acceptable context. The camera no longer shows her fragmented flashbacks at this point, which suggests she’s finally moving on and feeling healthy, hanging up moments from the past instead of fixating on them. The other thing that Sharp Objects is telegraphing here is that a home can tell us a lot about a person’s mental state.

by Anonymousreply 151August 30, 2018 2:10 PM

Except there was nothing sinister about Alan. The only time he came close was when he was standing in the doorway of Adora's room after she had dismissed him and it was clear that he wasn't going to take no for an answer. The horrified look on her face as she pulled the covers up around her neck said it all.

by Anonymousreply 152August 30, 2018 2:13 PM

I think Alan was rather sinister. He obviously knew how manipulative and nasty Adora could be and turned a blind eye to Marian's death and Amma's illnesses/Adora's 'medicine'. He was pretty nasty to Camille himself when he told her she wasn't welcome. Also, didn't he tell Camille to sit down at the dinner table where Adora had (possibly) poisoned her milk?

by Anonymousreply 153August 30, 2018 2:18 PM

How old was Camille supposed to be, anyway? If Amma is 15-16, and Adora had her when Camille was 19 or 20, that makes Camille mid-thirties. And how old was Adora supposed to be, anyway? Clarkson is 59 and looks it. A little long in the tooth (forgive the pun) to have a daughter as young as Amma.

Interesting that Amy Adams is 43 and the actress playing Amma is 19. They look more like mother-daughter than sisters.

by Anonymousreply 154August 30, 2018 5:37 PM

Terrible cop-out ending. If viewers walked out of the room as the credits were rolling, well....

by Anonymousreply 155August 30, 2018 8:28 PM

Good and interesting posts, [R150] and [R151]!

Agree about Scanlen’s excellent acting as Amma—she’s a real find. I had *no* idea she was Australian until I watched the closing credits and commentary after the finale—and I can usually detect a British or Aussie doing an American accent, even if they’re doing it really well. I was completely surprised.

I’m also amazed the Vulture reviewer had to actually contact an HBO rep to confirm what photograph it was that fell off Camille’s wall! That’s a lot to put a reviewer through for a finale ;) I couldn’t tell myself, which is why I asked here on the DL and someone confirmed what the reviewer stated about it being a picture of Marian and Camille.

I think that picture falling off the wall could also represent either Marian “warning” Camille of danger/evil in her home again, or the fact that Camille was about to “lose” yet another sister.

Amma being guilty of multiple murders and Camille having a conscience means that Amma has to be put away (in jail, probably) and they can never have that close familial bond and connection going forward in life that Camille had hoped for. She is lost to Camille now.

Amma is part of the same doomed past that Adora is part of, so again, Camille is alone and will have no real family going forward (well blood family, she’ll have her boss of course).

Also: Alan *was* sinister. He was perfectly content to watch/let Adora kill *all* of her daughters (including a second daughter of his own) under his watch, as long as....he doesn’t have to work? I guess it was silence in exchange for a “life of leisure”. Him being free at the end and not being charged as an accomplice was truly puzzling to me.

Lastly, I thought the actor playing John Keane was not only hot but was a very good actor as well. He nailed every scene he was in and elevated the material—and he also held his own with Amy Adams in some very intense scenes, which is not an easy thing to do.

(Loved the character names in this series as well & the fact that Adora’s *own* evil mother was named Joya!)

by Anonymousreply 156August 30, 2018 10:10 PM

R150 I think Rhoda is still the gold standard for child sociopaths because, unlike Amma, she had wonderful, loving parents. She was a born sociopath and there was nothing her sweet mother could do to stop her from killing except turn her in or end both their lives.

by Anonymousreply 157August 30, 2018 10:50 PM

[quote]which is why I asked here on the DL and someone confirmed what the reviewer stated about it being a picture of Marian and Camille.

That was me, but I caught that detail right away. And, truly, it's the only image that could have possibly have any meaning at that moment.

by Anonymousreply 158August 30, 2018 10:55 PM

I thought it was a great show and loved the final. To many people on here asking questions that the answers to would be known if you watched it properly and not busy on your iPhone.

by Anonymousreply 159August 30, 2018 11:11 PM

Yes, but what was in the garbage?

by Anonymousreply 160August 30, 2018 11:13 PM

Posters here are constructing a more intricate story than Gillian did.

by Anonymousreply 161August 30, 2018 11:15 PM

The Vanity Fair podcast has been great at episode by episode analysis but even they seemed a bit stumped by the finale. The podcast for the last episode was made up mostly by an interview with Jean-Marc Vallée and not much else.

by Anonymousreply 162August 30, 2018 11:24 PM

R161 I enjoyed it for what it was. R162 maybe people need to use their imagination to fill in the blanks. It's not a bad thing.

by Anonymousreply 163August 30, 2018 11:33 PM

If Adora wasn’t her mother, would Amma have been a killer?

by Anonymousreply 164August 30, 2018 11:54 PM

Who's Rhoda? Rhoda Morgenstern?

by Anonymousreply 165August 30, 2018 11:59 PM

Rhoda Penmark is the original “Bad Seed” from 1956, [R165]....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166August 31, 2018 12:17 AM

A lot of comparisons to Amma Crellin on this thread...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167August 31, 2018 12:19 AM

Amma all dressed up for mama...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168August 31, 2018 12:21 AM

The black girl wore a similar outfit that looked so dated.

by Anonymousreply 169August 31, 2018 12:22 AM

Scanlen was amazing as Amma. She had a dialect coach to work on her accent. I heard an interview with her on the VF podcast where she talks about the two different voices she uses on the show. There's her sweet sing-song higher pitched voice she uses when with her mother and the rest of the time it's much lower and more sinister.

by Anonymousreply 170August 31, 2018 12:24 AM

Scantron was wonderful, but that Mia Farrow lookalike playing Camille as a girl was FIERCELY up to the task. Baby girl was conveying a lot with just a few looks and limited screen time. Plus she was pretty. Was she the teenage Camille in a wig?

by Anonymousreply 171August 31, 2018 12:27 AM

R171 The actress who played the younger Camille was in the recent IT remake.

by Anonymousreply 172August 31, 2018 12:29 AM

I could just *EAT* you...

Camille rolls eyes

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 173August 31, 2018 12:30 AM

So. was it Amma that took a bite out of her friends ear?

by Anonymousreply 174August 31, 2018 4:59 AM

Someone had a piece of an ear missing?? (One of the dead girls?)

I honestly don’t remember that....

by Anonymousreply 175August 31, 2018 6:56 AM

I've never heard of Rhoda Penmark.

You learn something new every day

by Anonymousreply 176August 31, 2018 7:09 AM

In the book version, does Amma go to the family’s pig farm to torture the animals?

That scene in the series where she drives there in the golf cart and holds the little piglet always creeped me out, but—as we know—she spots Camille following her and gives her an arrogant glance as she’s leaving a room at the farm with the little piglet in her arms (and Camille then stops tailing her), so we never know what Amma’s true intentions at the farm that day are....

by Anonymousreply 177August 31, 2018 8:45 AM

R176, The Bad Seed is a classic and a true shocker for its time. I think it came out in the 50's. You owe it to yourself to watch it. I think it started out as a play. and then was made into a movie, but still retained the theatrical style. Excellent and at times unintentionally hilarious from a more modern perspective.

by Anonymousreply 178August 31, 2018 11:46 AM

Terrible boring show, badly done.

NEXT

by Anonymousreply 179August 31, 2018 1:29 PM

In earlier threads, everyone kept talking about on set fights and feuds that occurred with this show during filming (making it a “miserable” shooting experience behind the scenes according to the DL).

Does anyone know what the major reasons for those fights were and who was doing the fighting?

The director is French Canadian, so I imagine he’s involved somehow, but I’ve never heard about Amy causing trouble on set.....

by Anonymousreply 180August 31, 2018 3:41 PM

R180 I thought it was to do with Marti Noxon.

by Anonymousreply 181August 31, 2018 3:54 PM

[quote]In the book version, does Amma go to the family’s pig farm to torture the animals?

Not that I remember, it was more like she enjoyed watching the pigs/sows suffer from the poor conditions they were being kept in...Camille thought it was a depressing place

by Anonymousreply 182August 31, 2018 3:57 PM

Okay can someone give me a succinct explanation of the finale? I’m sorry I’m a simpleton but I’m trying to make sense and I had so many questions.

Did Camilla turn her sister in?

Did her sister murder the black girl?

Was Adorable charged with the murders of the girls or just for poisoning her daughters?

If Camilla knew her mother poisoned her sister why the hell did she drink that shit too?

God I’m so stupid

by Anonymousreply 183August 31, 2018 4:01 PM

r175 yes, the girlfriend of john keane not one of the dead girls. Camille noticed it but the girl didn't explain.

by Anonymousreply 184August 31, 2018 11:30 PM

[quote]Someone had a piece of an ear missing?? (One of the dead girls?)

John's famewhore girlfriend.

by Anonymousreply 185August 31, 2018 11:31 PM

Some answers here...looks like Natalie bit Ashley's ear. I though it was Amma.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 186August 31, 2018 11:36 PM

Thank you, [R182] and [R184]!

I appreciate the info/answers.

by Anonymousreply 187September 1, 2018 12:28 AM

Thank you very much as well, [R131]/[R158]!!

The picture on the wall thing was driving me crazy since the finale credits rolled...

by Anonymousreply 188September 1, 2018 12:33 AM

Apparently the director, Jean-Marc Vallée, did not get along with Marti Noxon on set. He didn't follow the script slavishly, or something?

by Anonymousreply 189September 1, 2018 1:02 AM

Anyone care to offer thoughts on the Sharp Objects visual aesthetic? Where were they drawing inspiration from? Some recurring images were the roller girls, dollhouse, hmmm, what else?

by Anonymousreply 190September 1, 2018 1:03 AM

The one constant in the set design was the use of red and green, R190. If you caught that symbolism at the beginning you could have had fun "decoding" it.

by Anonymousreply 191September 1, 2018 1:13 AM

[R186], that was an excellent article from Mashable with tons of answers straight from the book.

I get that the series changed some things, but this was very good.

It’s bizarre to me that the series took so long to tell the story (which I didn’t mind—I enjoyed the “atmosphere”, etc.) but then left so much out of that finale episode.

They could have given more answers and even changed the answers (if they wanted to) in those last two episodes, and still made it “atmospheric” and “spooky”—but instead they left so much of it intentionally vague.

It was interesting to me that Mashable says in the book that Amma is much more brutal in the killing sequences and reveals all to Camille when Camille *visits her in prison* after she’s convicted for the murders of her friends.

It also says that Amma and the two friends she killed first were all good friends initially and all 3 had violent and wild streaks and would run wild in forest together and torture animals there—and also that John Keane suspected Amma from the beginning and later writes Camille a letter about it after Amma is convicted.

Camille also starts cutting again after she learns the full awful truth about Amma and she’s taken in by her boss and his wife and is tormented about whether she has the same “disease” as Amma and Adora.

Kind of a bummer ending for Camille.

I wish they changed it from the book at the end and had Camille get with Richard. I don’t care if that’s cheesy, I liked them together (even if they were both *terrible* at solving mysteries that were right in front of them!)

by Anonymousreply 192September 1, 2018 1:44 AM

Also: does Camille listen to Zeppelin throughout the book, or was this a thing just for the HBO adaptation?

by Anonymousreply 193September 1, 2018 1:50 AM

This, for me, was the most frightening scene. More disturbing than the other reveal scenes. Similar to when Rita Hayworth was revealed as the femme fatale in Lady From Shanghai. The wolf in sheep’s clothing, it’s true nature finally apparent.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 194September 1, 2018 1:52 AM

[quote] Clarkson is 59 and looks it. A little long in the tooth (forgive the pun) to have a daughter as young as Amma.

Not really.

if Adora is 59 and Amma is 15-16, then Adora had her at (obviously) 43-44. I have female friends who have had children at that age.

by Anonymousreply 195September 1, 2018 1:56 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 196September 1, 2018 2:03 AM

What did that scene mean to you, [R196]?

I saw it as Jackie explaining the nature of Adora’s evil and her daughters’ submission to it over the years.

I really liked Elizabeth Perkins in that role and I wish the series used her more....

by Anonymousreply 197September 1, 2018 2:37 AM

I didn’t expect to, but I really got hooked on this show and am really missing it (the direction, cinematography, art direction, performances, Ms. Amy Adams, the mood, atmosphere, etc.)!

Does anyone have a good replacement now that I don’t have this to look forward to anymore on Sunday nights??

by Anonymousreply 198September 1, 2018 2:39 AM

BUT WHAT WAS IN THE FUCKING GARBAGE?

by Anonymousreply 199September 1, 2018 2:41 AM

In the book Camille's roommate dies by drinking Windex.

by Anonymousreply 200September 1, 2018 2:42 AM

Really pissed that the show meandered so long and then ran the ending at warp speed. This did not need 8 episodes.

by Anonymousreply 201September 1, 2018 2:47 AM

For you, [R199]:

“This is not a coincidence. It’s especially not a coincidence that Camille subsequently finds the dollhouse comforter Mae made for Amma — and Camille complimented earlier in the episode — in the trash. Clearly, Amma began resenting the attention Mae received.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 202September 1, 2018 2:52 AM

Agree, [R200], and it left so many things still emotionally unresolved as it hurriedly answered only the main plot point in the final seconds....

by Anonymousreply 203September 1, 2018 2:55 AM

The final chapter gave me nightmares. The plot twist was like a quick punch.

by Anonymousreply 204September 1, 2018 2:59 AM

[quote] BUT WHAT WAS IN THE FUCKING GARBAGE?

There is an entire scene with Amma and her new friend playing in Amma's new bedroom (Amma is using a sewing machine). Camille shows up at the door and the new friend shows her the dollhouse comforter they made (she holds it together with the dollhouse bed). Nothing else happens in the scene.

Later on, Camille finds that same mini comforter in the garbage and decides to put it back in the dollhouse.

by Anonymousreply 205September 1, 2018 3:09 AM

I appreciated a lot about the show (despite having major issues with the finale) but I have to say that I know I would have enjoyed the show much more in a Netflix-style bingewatch (or at least with the ability to do that) more than I did with everything so drawn out.

There wasn’t the type of plot and characters in this series that benefitted from the show being spread across 8 weeks.

I would have enjoyed it much more as a long movie or being able to make it seem like a long movie by watching the 8 episodes in succession as fast as I wanted to).

I felt the same way about “Mindhunter” on Netflix. It was a kind of slow burn procedural and character study and I appreciated being able to watch it more like a film than a drawn out TV show. It gave the story and characters more continuity for me.

As it was with “Sharp Objects”, many of the details that are supposed to “come together” in the last two episodes, I couldn’t remember from 8 weeks ago (details about Amma’s doll house, things Adora and Amma and other witnesses said in the beginning of the series, and many details about the dead girls and how they were killed and their bodies were found, etc.

So, there felt like a disconnect for me between the first half of the series and the final episodes.

There was also a weird disconnect between the second to last episode and the finale for me.

In the episode right before the finale, Camille learns from both Jackie and her cop boyfriend Richard that Adora is a killer who poisons all her daughters and that she has MBP.

She realizes that Adora has been poisoning Amma all day. She has a cell phone and races back over to the house like a bat out of hell, ready to save Amma and confront Adora.

Then in the finale, she suddenly spends almost the entire episode willingly drinking her mother’s poisoned drinks, wearing the creepy white nightgown, and giving up her cell phone (not even trying to call or text police or her friends about being poisoned—Amma too—and in dire medical need.

WTF?!? What happened between the second to last and last episodes?? Camille’s character stopped making sense and she turned into someone completely quiet and submissive to her mother—who she had proof beyond doubt now was evil.

by Anonymousreply 206September 1, 2018 3:30 AM

*were not (not was not)

by Anonymousreply 207September 1, 2018 3:31 AM

Also: Richard was never the sharpest tool in the shed, but he *did* know that John Keane was innocent and he was smart enough to track down and uncover Adora’s darkest secrets—secrets that had been hidden for decades and likely would have remained hidden forever without his investigation.

Then, in the final episode, when he knows for sure that Adora is at least a poisoner/killer of one daughter and that Camille now knows and likely went there to confront her mother, he simply leaves the evil mother’s house when told that Camille was “out with her girlfriends”—even though Camille *has* no girlfriends in town, her car that she drives everywhere is clearly parked at the house, and that she’s not answering her cell phone suddenly and Camille’s creepy stepfather blatantly lied to him about Camille.

That wasn’t like Richard’s character throughout the series either. His character stopped making sense in the last episode too.

by Anonymousreply 208September 1, 2018 3:40 AM

And where *was* that fucking cake that Adora and Allan kept promising Amma all night long?!?

by Anonymousreply 209September 1, 2018 4:05 AM

It was a chocolate cake r209. You could see it on the floor of amma's room while she was playing with her dollhouse. The scene where Camille asks her why she didn't go to the police.

by Anonymousreply 210September 1, 2018 4:37 AM

R197, I think you’re probably right, but I’m not sure. It could also be that she was saying to Camille, “look I know you’re only being polite to get information out of me, so don’t take me for a fool.” Almost like she was saying “oh, now that you’re in need of my time, I’ll make you aware I’ve got the carrot on the string, and you’ll play the rabbit/fool for a while to get it.” To humiliate her for brushing her off/looking down on her. But it did launch into a conversation about how going with the flow is easier, so your interpretation is most likely correct. I’ll have to watch the whole series again to catch the subtle details. At first I found Liz’s character to be really hammy and stereotypical, but then she grew on me a little. She had some other good one liners. It was a good dynamic between her and Camille. One of those people who seems nice, but you know probably talks about you behind your back, or you’re slightly wary of because you see in their eyes they know your angle, but they don’t let on.

by Anonymousreply 211September 1, 2018 4:57 AM

Don't tell Mama...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 212September 1, 2018 5:42 AM

Amma in the flower crown freaked me the fuck out, [R212]!

It felt like a true horror film (including the expression on Amma’s face) when she appeared in the flower crown and white nightgown.

by Anonymousreply 213September 1, 2018 6:41 AM

Then her dinner table speech about Greek mythology freaked me out even more...

by Anonymousreply 214September 1, 2018 6:43 AM

Someone elsewhere on datalounge just bumped this thread, and it reminded me of “Sharp Objects” in the way that it’s the true story of an MBP mom that tortured her young daughter for years with unnecessary medical issues: surgeries, teeth pulled, feeding tubes being inserted, etc. and the daughter ended up becoming a killer (of the mom).

It also takes place in Missouri.

Obviously the participants are unattractive and poor, so not like Adora and Amma in that way, but it *does* vividly illustrate the torment and torture (and strange isolation) that kids with Munchausen by Proxy moms go through....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 215September 1, 2018 10:29 AM

Here is the story/article that the HBO doc and DL thread were based on....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 216September 1, 2018 10:32 AM

I believe that at some point Amma was going to kill Adora. That was her ultimate goal, if she had not been stopped. I believe Amma had to kill her new friend because when they were playing with the Doll House the new kid discovered the floor made of teeth. Once that little girl told Camille or her own mother, the true murderer would be exposed.

I have another question. Why did the series use the soundtrack theme music from A Place in the Sun throughout. I know Alan was in his own world playing music from the 50's and 60's but why highlight that melody. It drove me nuts. Very distracting. I kept waiting for Montgomery Clift to walk in instead of Chris Messina.

by Anonymousreply 217September 1, 2018 10:43 AM

I didn’t notice that about “A Place In the Sun”, [R217].

I’ve seen that film with Monty and Liz several times but never noticed the soundtrack for some reason. I’ll have to search it out now (the “A Place In the Sun” soundtrack) and listen to it and see if I can recognize it from “Sharp Objects”....

by Anonymousreply 218September 1, 2018 12:16 PM

I just watched A Place In The Sun and wasn't impressed. Clift was a plank of wood. Taylor was gorgeous but didn't act all that well.

by Anonymousreply 219September 1, 2018 12:20 PM

I thought Montgomery Clift was *great* in that film (added a lot to it with his acting) and had excellent chemistry with Liz Taylor, [R219]!

Who would you have preferred in the role?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 220September 1, 2018 1:10 PM

More Monty in “Sun”....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 221September 1, 2018 1:13 PM

[quote]Who would you have preferred in the role?

I don't care enough to have an opinion.

[quote]!

Calm down, Mary.

by Anonymousreply 222September 1, 2018 1:40 PM

Robert Osborne said that PLACE was the movie that had the greatest influence on him.

by Anonymousreply 223September 1, 2018 3:30 PM

Really, [R223]?!?

I loved Robert Osborne and deeply admired his love for and knowledge about classic cinema. I had never heard this about his love for “Sun” before.

I wonder what it was about that particular film that influenced him so much??

I can’t say that I “love” it, but I enjoy and respect the movie and can definitely watch it any time it’s on TV...

by Anonymousreply 224September 1, 2018 4:11 PM

And what is everyone watching this Sunday now that “Sharp Objects” has ended its run?

by Anonymousreply 225September 1, 2018 5:09 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 226September 1, 2018 6:25 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 227September 1, 2018 6:26 PM

Henry Jones, playing her arch nemesis Leroy the gardener with just a hint of mint gives a stand out performance. A great foil for the sickly sweet and murderous little Rhoda. "There's blue electric chairs for little boys and pink electric chairs for little girls".

by Anonymousreply 228September 1, 2018 6:45 PM

R225 I'm going to dig out my DVD of The Bad Seed and watch it Sunday night.

by Anonymousreply 229September 1, 2018 6:53 PM

It's kind of funny/freaky cause the other young woman wearing a flower crown looks like Ashley, r 212.

by Anonymousreply 230September 1, 2018 6:55 PM

This story needed 6 episodes max and that super rushed finale...

It was like they were taking a timed test, spent most of the hour doodling in the margins, and then filled in the questions in the last few minutes.

by Anonymousreply 231September 1, 2018 6:56 PM

For those who miss this type of show, try The Sinner on USA network. The second season is very good!

by Anonymousreply 232September 1, 2018 7:03 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 233September 1, 2018 7:23 PM

That fucking Pa'lante! song is playing on the rebroadcast and all I can think is that it's basically a really bad Edie Brickell song ripoff.

Well lately, don’t understand what I am

Treated as a fool

Not quite a woman or a man

Well I don’t know

I guess I don’t understand the plan

by Anonymousreply 234September 1, 2018 10:37 PM

I *hated* that ”Pa'lante” song, [R234]!!

Easily the worst musical choice in the entire series!

(And this was odd because I thought most of the musical choices were very good...)

by Anonymousreply 235September 2, 2018 1:36 AM

[R233], trying to give me NIGHTMARES tonight....

by Anonymousreply 236September 2, 2018 1:38 AM

Thank you, [R232], I’ll check out that show!

by Anonymousreply 237September 2, 2018 1:40 AM

Man, I wish we could have a “do over” of that last episode; it could have been *so* good.

And I still say it should have been 90 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 238September 2, 2018 1:41 AM

Jesus, r233. I just glanced up at the screen and thought I was hallucinating on some of Mama's homemade remedy. Scanlen could easily play one of the Manson girls in Tarantino's remake of Helter Skelter. Dye her hair dark brown and she is Sexy Sadie. Motherfucking crazy but no lady.

by Anonymousreply 239September 2, 2018 1:44 AM

I guess “Sharp Objects” was more popular with viewers than I thought...

I went to YouTube to listen to the re-mastered version of one of the series’ “theme songs” (as well as its finale closing credit music) “In the Evening” by Led Zeppelin, and almost every comment under the song is about “Sharp Objects”.

The comment with the most “likes” (over 100) right under the song is just:

“Don’t tell momma”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 240September 2, 2018 12:05 PM

I cannot believe more people didn't pick up on the music. First time I heard it, opening credits, Elizabeth Taylor popped into my head and I couldn't place it at first, but then it hit me! A Place in the Sun. You want to read a good book read that one. Theodore Dreiser. Literature, which Gillian Flynn is definitely not.

by Anonymousreply 241September 2, 2018 12:25 PM

Pass the puke bucket

if I have 2 look at amy adams in one more victim role.....

by Anonymousreply 242September 2, 2018 12:25 PM

R233, Reminds me of that scene in Black Narcissus...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 243September 2, 2018 12:39 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 244September 2, 2018 12:41 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 245September 2, 2018 12:42 PM

Wow, you’re right, [R243]/[R244]! The series was gorgeous at times and very cinematic...

by Anonymousreply 246September 2, 2018 12:43 PM

When you see Sister Ruth (or whatever her name was) like that in the movie, [R245], you instantly know it’s either kill her or be killed.

Amma in the flower crown toward the end (I now realize) elicits a similar reaction. Both characters also seem “possessed” at the point they appear like that in each film/story....

Amma’s main murderous motivations are jealousy, similar to Sister Ruth (although Ruth also has “lust” issues as well).

by Anonymousreply 247September 2, 2018 12:48 PM

[quote]I cannot believe more people didn't pick up on the music. First time I heard it, opening credits, Elizabeth Taylor popped into my head and I couldn't place it at first, but then it hit me! A Place in the Sun. You want to read a good book read that one. Theodore Dreiser. Literature, which Gillian Flynn is definitely not.

Most of us don't have a boner for 60 year old movies.

by Anonymousreply 248September 2, 2018 12:50 PM

Can you link to any of the music from “Sun” that you’re referring to, [R241]?

(If I’m looking for any thematic similarities between “Sharp Objects” and “A Place In the Sun”... I guess Montgomery Clift plays a character who is a black sheep of the family and goes on a doomed visit to his relative’s small town)

It also evokes a real 1950s Americana kind of feel (as does Wind Gap I guess..)

by Anonymousreply 249September 2, 2018 12:57 PM

Alan was playing old music from the 50's & 60's all through the movie on an old system

by Anonymousreply 250September 2, 2018 1:53 PM

here. Couldn't find opening credits...

In fact, now I think of it, Todd Haynes' movie, Far From Heaven, with Julianne Moore, Dennis Quaid (as the closeted Gay husband) Dennis Haesbert, Viola Davis, and Patricia Clarkson had similar if not the same damned music. Google it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 251September 2, 2018 1:59 PM

The series was flawed, but Stanley deserves at least a nomination. She was the standout and breakout star. I can’t think of one moment of weak acting from her.

by Anonymousreply 252September 2, 2018 2:29 PM

”Stanley”?! Wow. I meant Scanlen.

by Anonymousreply 253September 2, 2018 2:31 PM

Just watched final episode of #SharpObjects and the last five minutes are insane. 😱Have you watched ??

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 254September 3, 2018 8:52 AM

An average novel dragged out way too long. There are some good moments here and there in the book, but the central mystery, and its denouement, is unconvincing. No way can it sustain eight hours of television, or at least entertaining ones -- I tried watching this and have given up somewhere along the way.

by Anonymousreply 255September 3, 2018 8:56 AM

Will the same people who gave Big Little Lies season 2 do the same with Sharp Objects?

by Anonymousreply 256September 3, 2018 9:08 AM

I missed seeing this show this Sunday; sad that it’s over....

by Anonymousreply 257September 3, 2018 9:18 AM

So, our own delightful Southern Belle Miss Laura Jeanne Reese Witherspoon watches this show, [R254]?

I wonder if she identifies more with Camille or Amma?

Hmmm...I can’t even hazard a guess...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 258September 3, 2018 9:25 AM

Big Little Lies shouldn't have a second "season" and hell no to Sharp Objects. Camille can never be healed or whole. She's not about to enter rehab and start wearing florals. It was a dark gothic tale, intriguing and imperfect. All but destroyed by a terrible last episode and non existent denouement. It didn't even seem to be made by the same people.

The episode when Camille and Amma get high, do molly and go to the party and rollerskate home was another flawed and wasted hour of the show that seemed to belong in another book. I don't mind unanswered questions or non sequitur scenes, but the mood of Sharp Objects was not only inconsistent but in end a bit of a lie. The mood was all that sustained the plot. Loved Amy and Scanlon. But the show is already forgotten.

by Anonymousreply 259September 3, 2018 9:34 AM

You nailed everything wrong with that last episode in your first paragraph, [R259]. Very well said.

Agree with most of your second paragraph as well (particularly about the show betraying its own mood at the end and lacking the continuity in the finale to properly wrap up the series/plot).

Great post!

by Anonymousreply 260September 3, 2018 9:53 AM

r224, Osborne told me himself that PLACE was important to him. (We have a mutual friend.) But I've also read or heard the same thing elsewhere. I remember he said the idea of a guy from nowhere and nothing trying to break into a higher social plane really resonated with him because it mirrored his own path from a middle-class childhood to a fair degree of fame. (I assume this happened without his murdering someone.)

by Anonymousreply 261September 3, 2018 3:12 PM

[Quote] I wonder if she identifies more with Camille or Amma?

Probably Camille.

by Anonymousreply 262September 3, 2018 4:51 PM

Betraying it's own mood?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 263September 4, 2018 2:07 AM

Lol, [R263]! That gif is exactly how I felt in real life after the finale though! ;)

by Anonymousreply 264September 4, 2018 3:29 AM

Here's how I felt after the 'big reveal'.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 265September 4, 2018 4:13 AM

Lol the queens here are so evil. Amy Adams -is- a terrific actress, she didn’t look like the mother of Amma. Pat Clarkson could have been Amma’s Mother, she’s not fucking decpreit

by Anonymousreply 266September 4, 2018 11:12 AM

What resonated with me about A Place in the Sun was the awkwardness and felling of inferiority being around the rich kids without the right clothes or secure in how to act, etc. I can still remember feeling horrible in High School because of all the cool wealthy kids who were in the same clique, went to the same elementary schools and jr high schools lived in the wealthy section of our city and barely deigned to recognize you in a hallway. And still wanting to be accepted by them, get their approval. Feeling like an outsider, and feeling inferior are sort of universal even if you don't have rich relatives with their name on the building.

by Anonymousreply 267September 4, 2018 11:31 AM

I loved watching Amma and Adora swaying to Tupac

by Anonymousreply 268September 4, 2018 3:00 PM

I don’t know if this is true but I read that they were planning on a 2nd season but Amy Adams changed her mind because she found the role too emotionally draining.

That’s why they wrapped it up so quickly.

by Anonymousreply 269September 4, 2018 3:05 PM

This was a good, trashy mini-series and it reminded me of Mildred Pierce, which was Kate Winslet porn, this was Amy Adams porn, just 8hours to feast on one of our better actresses in a delicious lead role. Not much more than that. It also looks to have given that Eliza girl a career and she registered herself just fine in this.

by Anonymousreply 270September 4, 2018 11:05 PM

Interesting how they kept showing the cleaning products trolley when Camille was in rehab. And was that recent or a flashback? I was pretty sure it was a flashback but others said it was current. I'm sure Drano was Adora's poison of choice.

I figured out before the last episode that Adora killed Marian but didn't kill the other girls. You could see the look on Amma's face when Adora's attention was pulled from her to Camille. Which is interesting when you take into account how jealous Camille looked when Amma was swaying with Adora to Tupac. Adora knew Camille had to leave the house for Amma to act right. That's why she told hubby to make her leave.

Someone in the bar (John Keane?) mentioned that Adora used to tutor both dead girls. That's when I figured out the Amma killed the girls, not Adora.

People are asking why Camille would stay with her mother and not a hotel. (a) She's a cub reporter. Doesn't look like she's all that rich to be able to pay for a hotel for that long. (b) I think she wanted see if things between her and mother might improve or so she could show Adora that she turned out relatively OK.

Lastly, why are some people so surprised that her Boss broke in and saved her?? She told him on the phone that it was her mother! He told her to come home but she said she had to confront her.

by Anonymousreply 271September 5, 2018 12:55 PM

Amy looks good but she still is 42. I was confused about Amma's age (at one point she said she was 12) without question Amy could be her mother and at almost 60 Clarkson could not I kept waiting for them to say Amma was adopted.. I still didn't understand why Amy didn't stay at a hotel to get away from her horrible mother...

by Anonymousreply 272September 6, 2018 9:32 AM

Patricia Clarkson has always had an old looking face, even when she was younger, she looked older. It's something about her cheekbones and lips.

I have a friend who could be Ms. Clarkson's doppelgänger r, same coloring too. My friend has aged terribly. She's younger than Clarkson, but now looks much older. It doesn't help having those thin sunken-in lips and sucking on cigarettes since she was 17!

by Anonymousreply 273September 6, 2018 10:24 AM

According to Wikipedia, Amy Adams turned 44 this August. And while I agree that she looks good, she was still way too old for this role.

by Anonymousreply 274September 6, 2018 10:59 PM

I've been enjoying The sinner season 2 much better than SO.The last ep was so good.Also it's not as depressing as SO.

by Anonymousreply 275September 6, 2018 11:19 PM

WAs The Sinner season 1 good also?

by Anonymousreply 276September 7, 2018 10:03 PM

Yes.

by Anonymousreply 277September 7, 2018 10:04 PM

BUMP!

Any newbies just start binge watching the whole thing on HBO GO now that it’s all up??

by Anonymousreply 278September 10, 2018 10:27 PM

I just rewatched the finale (one of a couple of views, I'm sure) and I noticed that when Camille, Amma and Mae were having dinner with the Curry's, Mae had written "CALL MOM" on the outside of her hand, Camille noticed it. Was that a cry for help? Makes me wonder what Amma had been doing to Mae once she started getting jealous of her.

by Anonymousreply 279September 16, 2018 12:48 PM

The Republican Senators and the WH are all speaking from the same playbook. The "She should e heard" approach is part of THEIR strategy. They will join with the Democratic colleagues in agreeing to hear her, but they will not support investigating the charges, just allowing her a chance to be heard, and Kavanaugh a chance at rebuttal, which for him, trained in his profession, should be fairly easy. They also have those 65 women, too.

Right now the audience they are playing to is their base. They want two things: Kavanaugh approved and confirmed as a SCOTUS, and damage control for the Midterms. They will attempt to discredit her obviously, but how they do it will be interesting. Kavanaugh will do most of it himself. At this point they need to find other people to corroborate her story and they need to find people other than this victim, who can show he had a pattern of behavior. Otherwise he will get confirmed and this will be the equivalent of a wet fart.

by Anonymousreply 280September 18, 2018 10:29 AM

Damn Wrong thread. I wish I could cut & paste this to the right thread about Psycho Kavanaugh. My computer is acting shitty.

by Anonymousreply 281September 18, 2018 10:31 AM

Any new “Sharp Objects” viewers here who binge watched the whole season in a few sittings (instead of over 8 weeks)?

by Anonymousreply 282September 18, 2018 12:41 PM

I miss this show along with the subtlety and nuance it often had....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 283September 18, 2018 12:57 PM

You smell ripe^

by Anonymousreply 284September 22, 2018 5:12 AM

Not a single shot of Henry Czerny’s hairy chest? This series was a bust!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 285September 23, 2018 7:08 AM

BUMP!! Any new or binge watch viewers??

by Anonymousreply 286October 24, 2018 2:27 AM

by Anonymousreply 287October 24, 2018 3:26 AM

R279 I have the same question. I don’t recall that in the book.

by Anonymousreply 288October 27, 2018 2:19 AM

I didn’t see the murder montage? Can anybody tell me which episode and where in the episode?

by Anonymousreply 289December 29, 2018 4:44 AM

R289 This one? Is from final scene (End Credits )

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 290December 29, 2018 5:24 AM

Final Scene, again:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 291December 29, 2018 5:35 AM

Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 292December 29, 2018 11:50 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!