Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

“1984” wasn’t science fiction

Orwell didnt imagine a world

1- where the citizens VOLUNTARILY register every detail of their personal lives, all of their political views, all of their “likes” and “dislikes”, in a single repository.

2- where they PAY to have their DNA analyzed and recorded. Every genetic “flaw” on permanent record.

3- where everyone carries a camera to surveill their fellow citizens so they can broadcast snippets of behavior deemed unacceptable (with no context).

Big Brother isn’t some malevolent external force. It’s the worst aspect of human nature within each one of us.

by Anonymousreply 10August 20, 2018 8:41 PM

I think the worst thing that Orwell neglected to see was the revelling in ignorance and stupidity, OP. He imagined a world where people would always be trying to better themselves - hence the need for books to be banned. Little did he realise that in a few short generations people wouldn't even be bothering to read - they would be proud of their ignorance.

As much as it pains me to say it, the worst cultural aspects of humanity crawled out of the US and infected all the countries its media touches. It is more damaging than any bomb or army. It is insidious.

by Anonymousreply 1August 20, 2018 10:08 AM

I agree R1. It’s remarkable that “cosmopolitan” and “intellectual” have become pejoratives. With the need for bread and circus met, the Inner Party has managed to turn the Proles against the Outer Party.

by Anonymousreply 2August 20, 2018 10:24 AM

Boris, if this is another one of your attempts to divide and conquer, it's not a good one. It sucks. You and your quad can stop high fiving each other now.

by Anonymousreply 3August 20, 2018 11:40 AM

R3 is an example of the anti-intellectualism that Orwell warned about.

by Anonymousreply 4August 20, 2018 11:47 AM

[quote]I think the worst thing that Orwell neglected to see was the revelling in ignorance and stupidity, OP. He imagined a world where people would always be trying to better themselves - hence the need for books to be banned. Little did he realise that in a few short generations people wouldn't even be bothering to read - they would be proud of their ignorance.

With all due respect, I don't think you don't have the faintest idea of what Orwell thought or imagined, and I don't think you're familiar at all with his work.

Orwell was a pessimist; he invented the "dystopia", the genre in which the future is painted as completely bleak and hopeless. 1984 is a dystopian future in which oppressive governments successfully use media and language to brainwash and manipulate the masses into suppressing their individualism and sense of self-determination. This was one of Orwell's biggest fears; he was noticing that even in the West, journalism was beginning to adopt the propaganda techniques of Stalinist Russia so he wrote 1984 to say, "See, it could happen here, too."

Orwell couldn't have cared less about "intellectualism" vs "anti-intellectualism" but manipulators vs the manipulated.

[quote]As much as it pains me to say it, the worst cultural aspects of humanity crawled out of the US and infected all the countries its media touches. It is more damaging than any bomb or army. It is insidious.

Oh, really? I didn't know Americans invented Nazism, the worst cultural aspect of humanity there is. I didn't know they were the ones that are responsible for the huge resurgence in Neo-Nazism and white nationalism right now. Hmm, go figure.

by Anonymousreply 5August 20, 2018 12:13 PM

A counter-point:

Surveillance of police has exposed a pattern of abuse of authority following a pattern of bias. Anyone who watches the shooting of Philando Castile from the live stream his girlfriend recorded, combined with the audio from the cop’s dashcam should recognize the power of social media to bring injustice to light and gather opposition to government authority. This is decidedly not Orwellian.

But the anti-intellectual movement on the right most assuredly is. The burning of books in 1984 coincides with the screens captivating viewers with idiotic pap. I’m not sure even Orwell could have envisioned reality programs, but I doubt he would be surprised by Fox News.

And I likewise doubt he would be surprised by the left’s newfound power in alliances of the aggrieved that result in more critiques and upending of longstanding conventions (I.e. the concept and terminology of male and female) that speaks directly to thoughtcrime and required reversals of language that place old and new into alignment with good and bad.

We live in a bizarre moment of human history, and I have never appreciated George Orwell more.

by Anonymousreply 6August 20, 2018 2:55 PM

A doctor friend worked in Baghdad in the late 1980s and spoke of a wonderfully learned city with exquisite bookshops where you could have a coffee and talk with the owners. He was appalled at the Desert Storm bombing/war, which destroyed a city and whose other war 13 years later saw a country torn apart and fragmented. This is the bad side of America.

by Anonymousreply 7August 20, 2018 3:04 PM

[quote]I think the worst thing that Orwell neglected to see was the revelling in ignorance and stupidity, OP.

But "Idiocracy" did. It's now become a documentary.

by Anonymousreply 8August 20, 2018 3:25 PM

^ “Ow My Balls!” has more substantive content and intellectual value than the Real Housewives shows and a Fox News commentary combined.

For all the technological progress made over the past two decades, I still have a sense we’re moving backwards.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9August 20, 2018 7:23 PM

Calm your tits a bit, R5. You make some good points. However, let's not forget that some Americans (among others) are responsible for Operation Paperclip, along with other nefarious doings.

by Anonymousreply 10August 20, 2018 8:41 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!