Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why didn't Deborah Kerr ever win an Oscar?

Did she ever come close to winning?

Look at that. Six nominations in 10 years and no trophy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52August 24, 2018 2:10 AM

Because the Oscars are shit. Fucking ham David Niven won for stinking up Separate Tables. Jean Simmons, Claude Rains, Cary Grant, Barbara Stanwyck, Robert Ryan , Montgomery Clift and Alfred Hitchcock never won one.

by Anonymousreply 1August 20, 2018 6:33 AM

I’d sure love to know.

by Anonymousreply 2August 20, 2018 6:41 AM

Six nominations without a win. How do people live with that? G, could you tell us how you've coped? I know you take medication.

by Anonymousreply 3August 20, 2018 6:43 AM

Looking back on her work she was actually quite stilted and affected as an actress. Even in her best movie The Innocents she is a bit artificial and phoney.

by Anonymousreply 4August 20, 2018 7:18 AM

Was she expected to win for From Here to Eternity?

by Anonymousreply 5August 21, 2018 3:55 AM

Not sure, but I think Joan was first considered for the role of Karen, so it would have been her and Burt clinching on the sand. Oh well, she did do "Female on the Beach" with Jeff Chandler.

Philip Ober, who played the bullying major, husband of Kerr, was married for most of the 40s and 50s to VIVIAN VANCE. IIRC, he was abusive to Vivian, who divorced him. Who knows how that marriage might have informed Vivian's interpretation of Ethel.

by Anonymousreply 6August 21, 2018 5:18 AM

R1 You’re right. An Oscar is no guarantee at all of quality.

The Hollywood roles are rather bland; Cukor couldn’t do much with her. Ustinov said her hips were too thin.

My favourites are the 40s ones, Narcissus and Dark Stranger.

by Anonymousreply 7August 22, 2018 11:34 AM

I haven't seen "The Sundowners" in a very long time, but seem to remember her being good in that. Also, "Iguana."

by Anonymousreply 8August 22, 2018 6:47 PM

She always seemed so middle-aged to me, even when she was younger. Just no sex appeal at all.

by Anonymousreply 9August 22, 2018 7:02 PM

She still has a shot. Mamma Mia 3 should start filming soon

by Anonymousreply 10August 22, 2018 7:04 PM

1961 - Nominated for "The Sundowners"; lost to a tracheotomy.

1959 - Nominated for "Separate Tables"; lost to a ham sandwich.

1958 - Nominated for "Heaven Knows, Mr. Allison"; lost to a dishrag.

1957 - Nominated for "The King and I"; lost because her singing was dubbed.

1954 - Nominated for "From Here To Eternity"; lost to a waif.

1950 - Nominated for "Edward, My Son"; lost to a doormat.

by Anonymousreply 11August 22, 2018 7:35 PM

[quote] Looking back on her work she was actually quite stilted and affected as an actress. Even in her best movie The Innocents she is a bit artificial and phoney.

I agree with that, but that reserved and mannered way of acting she had still aged much better than over-the-top performances of most of her peers from that era have. Underacting always ages well.

by Anonymousreply 12August 22, 2018 7:40 PM

I think she was an excellent actress. I never found her boring or stilted. She was English. It's that quiet reserve that makes you notice her. Notice her thinking. Notice emotions rise and fall. Notice her stance. She is a very brave actress in the way that she wants you to think about the character she is playing, to get lost in her and explore her the way Kerr is. That takes such great talent. Any actress can chew up the scenery. But true talent arrest your senses. Makes you compare yourself to the character.

by Anonymousreply 13August 22, 2018 8:09 PM

Her brother was killed, at an advanced age, in a road rage incident in Englland.

I saw her in Albee's "Seascape," with young Langella.

by Anonymousreply 14August 22, 2018 8:20 PM

Deborah Kerr was a great actress and was very easily able to show emotions beautifully. The fact that she won 6 nominations is a testimony to her superb acting skills.

by Anonymousreply 15August 22, 2018 8:26 PM

Deborah Kerr was given an Honorary Academy Award in 1994 so she got her Golden Boy after all!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16August 22, 2018 8:30 PM

A honarary Oscar??

Hmmm. I guess that is better than nothing. Glennie are you paying attention?

by Anonymousreply 17August 22, 2018 8:37 PM

She was fantastic in so many things. I think one problem is that she made it look easy. She should have won for ‘Eternity’ in any other year. Definitely should have won for Sundowners, but Elizabeth screwed that up. I too saw her onstage in ‘Seascape’.

by Anonymousreply 18August 22, 2018 8:51 PM

David Niven and Wendy Hiller deserved their Oscars in Separate Tables though, they both gave amazing performances. Great movie too!

by Anonymousreply 19August 22, 2018 9:23 PM

She should have won with Yul Brynner for "The King and I". Did Ingrid Bergman really need a second Oscar? The cartoon version of "Anastasia" is more famous than the version she won for. (Plus, it had a great score.)

by Anonymousreply 20August 22, 2018 9:49 PM

Hiller was very derisive of her win for Separate Tables. She thought it was laughable. She asked if the Oscar came with a cash prize. Much of her role ended up on the cutting room floor and she was furious.

There is a point where the film begins to make little sense and it just falls apart.

by Anonymousreply 21August 22, 2018 10:06 PM

I thought she won for The Innocents?

by Anonymousreply 22August 22, 2018 10:28 PM

Hiller in "I Know Where I'm Going" is exhilarating.

Niven always looks like he's smelling stinky roquefort.

by Anonymousreply 23August 23, 2018 2:50 AM

Loved her in The Chalk Garden.

by Anonymousreply 24August 23, 2018 3:16 AM

R17 It was Glenn Close that presented Deborah's Honorary Oscar to her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25August 23, 2018 3:54 AM

M, will you be available to present me my Best Actress award this year or are you too busy selling your homes to fund those struggling actress daughters of yours?

by Anonymousreply 26August 23, 2018 5:00 AM

I love Deborah Kerr. One of the greats.

by Anonymousreply 27August 23, 2018 5:05 AM

Her work in the Innocents was so daring. I really came to respect her as an actress after seeing that.

by Anonymousreply 28August 23, 2018 5:07 AM

She reteamed with Burt in "The Gypsy Moths" and showed her tits in the love scene.

by Anonymousreply 29August 23, 2018 5:09 AM

Why has "Tea and Sympathy" rarely been aired on network or cable, even TCM?

by Anonymousreply 30August 23, 2018 5:12 AM

Deborah Kerr's speaking voice was glorious as well. Wonderful actress!

by Anonymousreply 31August 23, 2018 5:23 AM

how come it is pronounced Carr?

by Anonymousreply 32August 23, 2018 5:25 AM

R32 Because it rhymes with STAR!

by Anonymousreply 33August 23, 2018 5:29 AM

I saw her in a play at the old Shubert in LA. She was so bad, half the audience ran for the doors at intermission. I think the rest were asleep.

by Anonymousreply 34August 23, 2018 5:34 AM

R13. "She has that rare gift of thinking her lines, not merely remembering them" -- I just found that quoted on her wiki page. It's from a British theater critic, about her performance early on.

by Anonymousreply 35August 23, 2018 5:53 AM

The members of the Academy just weren't into her.

by Anonymousreply 36August 23, 2018 5:58 AM

Her vaginal odor was legendary.

by Anonymousreply 37August 23, 2018 6:00 AM

Hiller wasn't the main character in Separate Tables, the scenes she had were sufficient to establish her character. She and Niven have probably the best scene in the movie though. She's the perfect examples of a supporting actress stealing scenes from the stars. She also was the most sympathetic character in the movie.

by Anonymousreply 38August 23, 2018 8:16 AM

We should do a thread on the correct winner of Best Actress each year. 1929-2018

by Anonymousreply 39August 23, 2018 9:13 AM

She actually won 3 awards, but since no one could figure out how to pronounce her last name (Kerr/Carr), the presenters just read a different name.

by Anonymousreply 40August 23, 2018 9:56 AM

I love the movies she made in the 1950s with Cary Grant, like Affair to Remember and Dream Wife, which showcased her glorious coloring. She was gorgeous.

And I was so sad when I read that chapter in Langella’s book where he humiliated her. She didn’t deserve that. While I did enjoy some of the dish in his book, his chapter about Deborah Kerr was the most vicious of all.

Her sense of empathy came from a childhood where she was sent to boarding school and was bullied for being fat. When she went to London to become an actress, and lost weight from food rationing and a lot of walking, her beauty blossomed and she was pursued by many men. I read an allusion to her having been harassed or aggressively pursued by Ambassador Kennedy.

by Anonymousreply 41August 23, 2018 4:30 PM

How were the lizard costumes in that, r14?

by Anonymousreply 42August 23, 2018 4:36 PM

She wasn't nominated for her two greatest performances, unfortunately: "Black Narcissus" (the scene where she talks about how she hadn't known that the convent would make all her old memories return is incredibly moving) and "The Innocents."

by Anonymousreply 43August 23, 2018 4:37 PM

What did Langella say about her?

by Anonymousreply 44August 23, 2018 5:20 PM

Yes, said odor and the fact she wouldn't put out

by Anonymousreply 45August 23, 2018 5:23 PM

Women like that usually resort to anal.

by Anonymousreply 46August 23, 2018 5:29 PM

R42, they were neat. And the actors' lizard movements were wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 47August 23, 2018 5:38 PM

Both Deborah Kerr and Ava Gardner should have been nominated for Oscars in the incredible "Night Of The Iguana".

by Anonymousreply 48August 24, 2018 1:26 AM

Richard Burton should also have been nominated for an Oscar in Night Of The Iguana. It was a great performance in a great movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49August 24, 2018 1:34 AM

"Why didn't Deborah Kerr ever win an Oscar?"

She had self-esteem: no time for Bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 50August 24, 2018 1:52 AM

The King and I? She didn’t even do her own singing.

by Anonymousreply 51August 24, 2018 2:04 AM

^^ Regina George

by Anonymousreply 52August 24, 2018 2:10 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!