Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Do You Like a Good Ham Salad?

I never see ham salad sandwiches available anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 99January 21, 2020 9:40 AM

Love ham salad!

Mayo and sweet relish on toast.

by Anonymousreply 1August 20, 2018 2:39 AM

*cough*

by Anonymousreply 2August 20, 2018 2:55 AM

I haven't made ham salad sandwiches since Mother died in 1977

by Anonymousreply 3August 20, 2018 3:15 AM

Well, I've never had one, but I do occasionally purchase ham salad from a local store that has a really outstanding deli. They make their own ham salad, and I just spread it on crackers for a snack. I can make out the ham, pickles, and mayonnaise, but nothing else.

by Anonymousreply 4August 20, 2018 3:19 AM

Ham salad is the one thing that is actually better with Miracle Whip than real mayonnaise

by Anonymousreply 5August 20, 2018 3:22 AM

Gross! NO!

by Anonymousreply 6August 20, 2018 3:22 AM

I don’t understand the question and I don’t care to respond.

by Anonymousreply 7August 20, 2018 3:33 AM

I prefer Ham Biscuits.

by Anonymousreply 8August 20, 2018 4:20 PM

[quote]Good Ham Salad

Contradiction in terms. Make a sandwich.

by Anonymousreply 9August 20, 2018 4:26 PM

Secret ingredient for Ham Salad to die for: 2 tablespoons of Karo™ corn syrup

by Anonymousreply 10August 21, 2018 2:37 AM

Yes, but it is rather hard to find. Ham loaf (similar to meat loaf) is also good IMO.

by Anonymousreply 11August 21, 2018 2:39 AM

Yes, r11 !

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12August 21, 2018 2:43 AM

I much prefer Pork Salad Sandwiches, I take left over pork roast, the white meat and grind it up, add mayo, celery, sweet relish, some cut up hard boiled eggs, some pecans chopped up and put it on Hawaiian Bread. It is the best of the salad sandwiches, IMHO.

by Anonymousreply 13August 21, 2018 2:44 AM

the Hawaiian Bread is key here. Almost like ham & pineapple on pizza

by Anonymousreply 14August 21, 2018 2:46 AM

What the fuck is ham salad??

by Anonymousreply 15August 21, 2018 2:50 AM

OMG. I adore ham salad. There is a small market in my hometown that makes that shit. My mom always has a quart of it in the fridge when I drop in.

by Anonymousreply 16August 21, 2018 2:54 AM

I love ham salad. I had forgotten it even existed - I haven't had that in years.

by Anonymousreply 17August 21, 2018 2:56 AM

R15, Here's an example. I had trouble finding a recipe that doesn't included hard-boiled eggs. I've always eaten it on crackers, and I like it as a sandwich on a croissant. I only know of one deli that sells it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18August 21, 2018 2:59 AM

With hard-boiled eggs, pickles, MiracleWhip. Yup. Mom used to make it.

by Anonymousreply 19August 21, 2018 2:59 AM

The only ham salad that I ever encountered was a rather repulsive mayo slop (and I like mayo as a rule) that one of my grandmother's bridge partners used to bring to a cover dish at her house when I was a child in the late 1980's. From the best that I can deduce - it had peas, hard boiled egg yolks (and maybe whites), pickles and tons of Miracle Whip with ham chunks floating in it. I believe it was served with club crackers. As a kid I avoided it like the plague, but since so many rave about it here - perhaps I would give it a try? Not an appealing looking dish - that is for sure. R13's version sounds much more appetizing.

by Anonymousreply 20August 21, 2018 3:02 AM

I like the kind in a can. Underwood Devil on crackers.

by Anonymousreply 21August 21, 2018 3:08 AM

Yes! Love it. Try the little I.G.A. No. Main, East Hampton, NY

by Anonymousreply 22August 21, 2018 3:18 AM

I have to say I’ve never heard of it - and I love ham (and mayo and eggs and pickles for that matter). Honestly though chunks of ham in mayo sounds slightly gross.

by Anonymousreply 23August 21, 2018 3:18 AM

Cubans make a good pork sandwich r13 although your version sounds good too.

by Anonymousreply 24August 21, 2018 3:21 AM

My grandmother made it for me all the time--back in the 1980s in Milwaukee. It was served a lot in the luncheon-type restaurants there, back then.

by Anonymousreply 25August 21, 2018 3:24 AM

r21=Mason Reese

by Anonymousreply 26August 21, 2018 3:25 AM

R21, I like Underwood Deviled Ham, too. Fun fact!: the Underwood devil logo was trademarked in 1870, and is the oldest food trademark still in use in the US.

Well, Miracle Whip has gotten several mentions on this thread. And, although this will scandalize DL, it really does seem to work better than mayonnaise. Miracle Whip is sweeter and more acidic, which makes a much better contrast to the saltiness of the ham.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27August 21, 2018 3:30 AM

It's ok as long as you use actual cubed ham.

by Anonymousreply 28August 21, 2018 3:33 AM

One summer during college I worked in an Italian deli. I had to be there at 5 AM to get the deli ready to open and I had to grind meat for ground beef and make various salads and ham salad was one of them. I hated making it but it sure tasted good! People brought it by the butt load! I don’t remember what we put in it though.

It was at this deli I was introduced to fried bologna (yummy)and head cheese (so gross especially when you had to slice it when you were hung over). Good times!

by Anonymousreply 29August 21, 2018 3:48 AM

My college cafeteria used to serve the most amazing ham salad. I've never been able to replicate it. Cubed ham with white rice, peas and finely chopped onion. There may have been Miracle Whip in the dressing, because it had a slightly sweet taste. I also remember the dressing was pale orange-red in color (from carrots perhaps?). There were no pickles or hard-boiled eggs. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

by Anonymousreply 30August 21, 2018 3:48 AM

R30 - I have no idea, but the pale orange color might have been due to a mix of the boiled egg yolks combined with the the ham's color (juice that either leached out or the ham "stock" that might have been added in) mixed with the mayo. I agree with the above posters when I remember that this one one "salad" that always seemed to use Miracle Whip or at least a regular mayo mixed with sugar...

by Anonymousreply 31August 21, 2018 4:00 AM

one one = was one

by Anonymousreply 32August 21, 2018 4:01 AM

R27, thank you for that info, that’s a neat fact.. I love the stuff so much that I rarely ever buy it anymore because I’ll just end up eating the whole can, spread on saltines. I guess once every few years I buy some.

by Anonymousreply 33August 21, 2018 4:05 AM

Sounds counterintuitive

by Anonymousreply 34August 22, 2018 5:30 AM

There's nothing I love to bite into more than delicious HAM SANDWICH--dripping with lady mayo!

by Anonymousreply 35August 22, 2018 5:52 AM

What the fuck is ham salad??

Rimming an actor.

by Anonymousreply 36August 22, 2018 5:58 AM

R27: I was with you until the Miracle Whip. Yikes.

by Anonymousreply 37August 22, 2018 6:00 AM

For Chrissakes,, all these people like r27 assuming that Miracle Whip is pretend Mayonnaise or something. Like silverplate to Mayos sterling. All the gays love to draw pretentious little displays so as to give the impression that they are to the manner born, and think that being able to afford "real" Mayonnaise is a sign of elevated social class. Except Mayo is no more expensive than Miracle Whip- they are the same price.

It might be a clue that one is called "salad dressing". It is a different product being made to be incorporated in salads of various types, potato, ham, macaroni and so forth. But they are both white and sold in quart jars, so of course people assume they are the same usage, and one is the "classy" choice. Hence such silliness.

by Anonymousreply 38August 22, 2018 6:19 AM

Miracle Whip tastes sweet and gross!

by Anonymousreply 39August 22, 2018 6:28 AM

My mom used to make it, she used a meat grinder and put ham, hard-boiled eggs and sweet pickles through the grinder. Mix in some mustard and mayo - not Miracle Whip.

It was one of my favorite meals as a kid. I should really buy a meat grinder and start making it for myself.

by Anonymousreply 40August 22, 2018 6:37 AM

R38 is correct that the price-point is similar. A brand like Hellmann's is more versatile - because you can add your own sugar and if need be vinegar. Also, you can ovoid those additions if you are just in need of plain old mayonnaise.

by Anonymousreply 41August 22, 2018 6:40 AM

I’ve seen salmon salad but not ham. Cuban sandwich seems more appetizing.

by Anonymousreply 42August 22, 2018 7:14 AM

R38, I grew up poor and my entire family hated Miracle Whip. All I can say is that it tastes fishy. Has nothing to do with class or style.

by Anonymousreply 43August 22, 2018 7:32 AM

Spam is a good alternative to ham - lovely texture. And of course as previously mentioned lots of Miracle Whip. Celery, onions, pimentos, canned peas. Garnish with parsley and dust with that red stuff.

Serve with a smile !!

by Anonymousreply 44August 22, 2018 8:34 AM

Paprika ..

by Anonymousreply 45August 22, 2018 9:03 AM

R38, to the manor born.

by Anonymousreply 46August 25, 2018 12:58 AM

[quote] the Underwood devil logo was trademarked in 1870, and is the oldest food trademark still in use in the US.

R27, that trademark includes the DEVIL. Well, we clearly have some work to do....

by Anonymousreply 47August 25, 2018 1:02 AM

Grinding hams is not something that good girls care to hear about.

by Anonymousreply 48August 25, 2018 1:21 AM

The earlier Underwood Deviled Ham packaging was quite a bit more sinister.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49August 25, 2018 1:44 AM

Whatever you do, stay away from lady ham!

by Anonymousreply 50August 25, 2018 4:18 AM

R40, you got it. My mother used a meat grinder to make it. I’m thinking I’m going to use cornichons instead of dill or sweet pickles.

Because I must have some!

As for mayo vs Miracle Whip, I like them both.

by Anonymousreply 51August 25, 2018 4:26 AM

I love ham and cheese croissants

by Anonymousreply 52August 25, 2018 5:35 AM

I love it too. I put Major Grey's chutney and green olives in mine.

by Anonymousreply 53August 25, 2018 6:18 AM

Miracle Whip on anything is a recipe for vomit.

It is very common in both Restaurants and Grocery Deli departments in Minneapolis.

by Anonymousreply 54August 25, 2018 8:03 AM

We had bologna spread. Mom would grind ring bologna and do the pickles then add Miracle Whip. Loved the stuff and still but it on occasion.

by Anonymousreply 55August 25, 2018 8:36 AM

Bologna Spread Video

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56August 25, 2018 5:23 PM

Ham!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57August 25, 2018 5:42 PM

R55/R56 I could see the bologna salad could be tasty, especially with all-beef or veal bologna. I would eliminate most of the mayo though, as it seems excessive. I think Oscar Myer sandwich spread contains bologna, at least it used to taste like it to me. I haven't seen it in years though TBH.

by Anonymousreply 58August 26, 2018 5:37 PM

What exactly is “deviled’ ham?

by Anonymousreply 59August 26, 2018 7:45 PM

I think it means the meat is ground and then mixed with seasonings (also mayo/mustard? Or is that just for eggs?)

by Anonymousreply 60August 26, 2018 8:05 PM

Man, these recipes are certainly....interesting. I thought that liverwurst sandwiches were a tough swallow, but ham salad might just take the cake. I have found these suggestions really intriguing. My best friend is Hungarian and loves many variations on this salad - I have tried it and really can't stomach it at all. To each their own - I will stick with chicken and shrimp salad (I like both, but they tend to be really rich), but I am happy that so many enjoy this one too.

by Anonymousreply 61August 27, 2018 5:56 AM

R59, It means that the main ingredient has been minced, and mixed in a sauce with a strong flavor. Hence, Deviled Eggs, Deviled Kidneys, Deviled Ham, etc.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62August 27, 2018 6:07 AM

This sounds very edible.

by Anonymousreply 63August 27, 2018 6:11 AM

R61 One either enjoys liver, or NOT. There doesn't seem to be ambivalence on this one.

by Anonymousreply 64August 27, 2018 6:14 AM

And don’t use Underwood Deviled Ham or its generic equivalents. Loaded with chemicals and salt. Make it from scratch...and no pineapples...

by Anonymousreply 65August 27, 2018 7:06 PM

r61 my Hungarian best friend makes it aott too! She gets crazy compliments on it, mostly from people who forgot it existed as a food I think, who missed it.

by Anonymousreply 66August 27, 2018 7:20 PM

In high school, I worked in a grocery store and occasionally had to work the deli counter. Whenever you cut off any 'wasted' portion of a dark deli meat such as bologna or salami (the dried up end piece or anything that fell on the floor), it was tossed in a bin to be ground up for "ham salad". If you did the same with a light meat such as chicken or turkey, you tossed it into another bin to be made into "chicken salad". Disgusting. Ever since those days, I won't eat ham salad or chicken salad that I haven't made myself.

by Anonymousreply 67August 27, 2018 7:21 PM

Ham Salad? No thanks. After sandwiches, here's what I do with left over ham: Fresh green beans, corn, potato and ham chunks - mmm mmm good, especially in winter!

by Anonymousreply 68August 27, 2018 10:07 PM

Someone said liverwurst.

I only started eating that after being introduced to the 1$ vietnamese sandwich in Toronto in the late 90's.

They're gone now.

Was also instructed to eat liverwurst on toasted rye with a glass of white wine.

by Anonymousreply 69August 27, 2018 10:25 PM

Gosh! Haven’t had ham salad in years! Decades even. I remember it being a staple at my grandmother’s house at the beach during the summers. She’d make a different salad for sandwiches each week - chicken or ham - along with a roast beef she’d slice up on a manual meat slicer. Did she use a canned ham? I think so - but I can’t be sure. I do remember she used 2 parts mayo, 1 part Miracle Whip, and a tea or tablespoon of mustard. I used to love her sandwiches on white bread. Damn! Now I’m craving ham salad.

by Anonymousreply 70August 27, 2018 10:58 PM

A ham-salad sammich.....YUM. So good, and it's completely disappeared....I mean, all these people who claim not to know what ham salad even IS! They're missing something GOOD.

by Anonymousreply 71August 28, 2018 12:00 AM

Danny Kaye+Laurence Olivier=ham salad

by Anonymousreply 72August 28, 2018 12:15 AM

Miracle Whip is the devils saliva. My dumb assed Mother bought it all the time when we were kids. Never had it since.

by Anonymousreply 73August 28, 2018 12:26 AM

Miracle Whip is nasty but even worse is Sandwich Spread, I don't even know if they make it anymore.

by Anonymousreply 74August 28, 2018 12:28 AM

[quote]Danny Kaye+Laurence Olivier=ham salad

I don't think ham salads get tossed.

by Anonymousreply 75August 28, 2018 3:20 AM

Oh I don't know, Danny always used some tongue in his recipe.

by Anonymousreply 76August 28, 2018 7:00 PM

I make my ham salad in a food processor.

I buy a hambone from the Honey Baked Ham Store for about $8. The bones have plenty of meat still on them after the store removes and sells the spiral cut slices.

I boil the hambone for about 2 hours and let the pot cool completely before removing the bone with all the meat attached. I separate the meat from the fat and bone and next I throw the meat into my food processor.

Then I add mayonnaise, some Durkees, pickles (the hot 'n' sweet kind), a chopped small onion, and if I have a fresh one, a jalapeno pepper. If I need some more liquid, I use some pickle juice. Sometimes I'll add a green onion or two if I have them.

A few pulses to the desired consistency et voila, ham salad.

by Anonymousreply 77August 30, 2018 2:04 AM

Yum!!

by Anonymousreply 78December 24, 2019 4:22 PM

I just met someone who didn't know what ham salad even was........

They'd never made it, or seen it for sale at a deli, etc.

by Anonymousreply 79December 24, 2019 4:27 PM

Is this basically the same as Underwood deviled ham spread?

by Anonymousreply 80December 24, 2019 4:28 PM

Haven't had it in ages. We never put eggs in it---that just makes it egg salad which I find revolting. People used to put eggs in tuna salad, thankfully it's not common anymore.

by Anonymousreply 81December 24, 2019 4:39 PM

R81, of course boiled eggs belong in tuna salad! Not mandatory, but tasty and adds even more protein. That, onion, celery, white and black pepper, and frequently spinach ripped into tiny bits. Especially good on those thick Swedish crackers (ryvase or something) with lots of fiber and crunch. But you're right - I never see it for sale with eggs....

by Anonymousreply 82December 24, 2019 4:52 PM

Never tried them but I live in MA and see them in my local Market Basket grocery store all the time. They are served in those little finger roll style buns, alongside the tuna and chicken salad versions.

by Anonymousreply 83December 24, 2019 5:20 PM

A lot of these extra additions sound awful. I’m all for simplicity, here in Virginia we make ham salad with some nice Smithfield ham, sweet relish and mayonnaise. Nothing like that salty taste of country ham.

by Anonymousreply 84December 24, 2019 5:20 PM

I've never had ham salad. Anything that requires a meat grinder, I'm not going to make.

by Anonymousreply 85December 24, 2019 5:21 PM

R85 you can just chop finely, I think that’s preferable anyway.

by Anonymousreply 86December 24, 2019 5:26 PM

For R66...........

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87December 24, 2019 6:21 PM

Lol!!

by Anonymousreply 88December 24, 2019 8:10 PM

You lie! No such thing.

by Anonymousreply 89December 24, 2019 10:15 PM

Miracle whip is sort of fluffier and less runny than mayo, right?

by Anonymousreply 90December 25, 2019 2:40 PM

I think miracle whip tastes sweeter than regular mayo.

by Anonymousreply 91December 25, 2019 2:45 PM

Ham salad!

by Anonymousreply 92December 26, 2019 11:13 PM

Mmmm... delicious ham with extra lady mayo....

by Anonymousreply 93December 26, 2019 11:15 PM

I bought two tins of ham (not Spam brand) and rather than save the leftovers I crushed it up and pan fried the fat off (it’s actually reasonably lean) and so it was golden and crispy. When cool I added it to mayonnaise, pickles, mustard, chopped onions and chopped parsley. It’s now refrigerating.

Wish me luck! I will have it tropical style on crackers and a mug of hot black tea.

by Anonymousreply 94January 21, 2020 7:39 AM

Is ham salad like deviled ham? Or Oscar Mayer Sandwich Spread? I love both. On toast points because I'm not a savage.

by Anonymousreply 95January 21, 2020 7:54 AM

My Mom made bologna salad and used Miracle Whip. I'll occasionally buy some for her. I like it but not often.

by Anonymousreply 96January 21, 2020 9:18 AM

R5 NOTHING is ever better with Miracle Whip.

by Anonymousreply 97January 21, 2020 9:23 AM

best ham salad is at Boucherie Atlantique in Montreal - highly recommend to fellow hamsaladophiles

by Anonymousreply 98January 21, 2020 9:34 AM

[quote]of course boiled eggs belong in tuna salad

Of course they do not. Unless you are vile. And eat things that are vile. I must go and vomit now from thinking about this.

by Anonymousreply 99January 21, 2020 9:40 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!