Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Is interpersonal engulfment a sign of a personality disorder?

You know the type of people I am talking about. People who have no boundaries, who communicate with you constantly, who seem possessive, who are generally exhausting.

by Anonymousreply 10August 20, 2018 8:42 PM

People who start endless threads wanting to bitch about other people's bad behavior would be included in your signs of a personality disorder, I presume.

by Anonymousreply 1August 20, 2018 12:13 AM

Probably, OP. I have purged such people from my life. I still work on occasion with one but fortunately it's in limited doses. I keep a distance.

As one retired psychiatric nurse once advised me about difficult people, "Speak to their adult and avoid them."

by Anonymousreply 2August 20, 2018 12:23 AM

Gay men friends are clingy. As soon as they realize your friendliness is real and don't see them as a sex objects they're clingy friends.

by Anonymousreply 3August 20, 2018 12:23 AM

[quote]interpersonal engulfment

Is that official diagnostic nomenclature?

by Anonymousreply 4August 20, 2018 12:26 AM

Not everything is sign of a personality disorder. Some people just weren't raised right. A personal disclosure from someone you don't know that well can be very charming or problematic. Old white sexless single gay men are very uptight around normal people. A lot of gays shun people. They only want to share similar thoughts and memories from a safe distance. Everyone else disappoints them or intrudes upon them. Good luck OP.

by Anonymousreply 5August 20, 2018 12:32 AM

I think they're called psychic vampires OP.

by Anonymousreply 6August 20, 2018 12:39 AM

You can buy a jacket to protect yourself from those kinds.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7August 20, 2018 4:16 AM

What if someone thinks I do this to him? I didn't/don't mean to. But I think I could be perceived in this way. One of my friends thinks this is not the case, that the person I'm talking about enjoys my company. But I worry about how I am perceived.

by Anonymousreply 8August 20, 2018 7:35 AM

R8, I feel for you . . . but this is not likely the place to get sympathetic advice.

Having said that, I understand what you mean. If someone could perceive you that way, take an honest assessment of yourself. If you need to change your actions, take steps to do so. And, of course, talk to the friend who might see you that way AFTER letting that friend have some time away from you.

by Anonymousreply 9August 20, 2018 7:42 AM

That is a tough one, r8. I think it largely depends on context. For now, I would just trust your friend when he tells you you're not engulfing him.

by Anonymousreply 10August 20, 2018 8:42 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!