Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Home Garden and Pests

I planted a small garden on the side of my flat about two months ago. I have about six tomato plants and various herbs. The tomato plants are about 4 feet away from my home. I now notice one or two cockroaches in my kitchen at night. And today I saw a rat running through my dining room! Could my garden be the source of attracting all these pests? Should I rip out the garden and forget about home gardening?

by Anonymousreply 10August 20, 2018 8:05 PM

Screens. And keep the door closed.

by Anonymousreply 1August 19, 2018 10:08 PM

No. Rats and cockroaches don't like tomatoes. Personal hygiene always helps. Keep your trash covered.

by Anonymousreply 2August 19, 2018 10:10 PM

What part of the world are you located, OP?

by Anonymousreply 3August 19, 2018 10:18 PM

Los Angeles R3

by Anonymousreply 4August 19, 2018 10:28 PM

I live in the country, no rats or roaches. However, there was a 300 lb black bear in my yard one night this past early spring, I hadn't taken down the birdfeeders yet. It's always something no matter where you live.

by Anonymousreply 5August 19, 2018 10:35 PM

Op I have said this before here on the DL but here it goes again. I live In los angeles as well, 3rd floor apartment with balcony. I grew all kinds of food on my balcony, salad, chives, peppers, etc. After a couple months I noticed something was destroying my plants at night and then I finally saw it was RATS. They live on the rooftops of buildings out here. There was no way to keep them out unless I somehow screened in my whole balcony which was not possible. Even after getting rid of all the plants, the rats kept coming and destroying everything In sight. I killed so many with those old school rat traps, it was fucking gross. I will never have a food garden again unless I have a backyard and the ability to screen everything in or get a greenhouse.

by Anonymousreply 6August 19, 2018 10:38 PM

All these new backyard chicken farmers are in for a nasty surprise.

by Anonymousreply 7August 19, 2018 10:41 PM

OP here. So R6 you recommend tearing out my garden? I think they like the tomatoes.

by Anonymousreply 8August 19, 2018 11:35 PM

I recommend rat traps r8. Then maybe not planting a garden again once the season is over. The only thing my rats didn't like were anything in the onion family, chives scallions, etc. They tried to eat some of my oregano but left it alone after one taste. Everything else they ate, even hot peppers.

by Anonymousreply 9August 20, 2018 12:25 AM

Perhaps your Garden should be far enough from your home that pests don’t think about hanging out in the house.

by Anonymousreply 10August 20, 2018 8:05 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!