Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

More black celebrities drown

Is this a 'thang'?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48October 21, 2018 4:07 PM

Um, take your kids to swim class.

by Anonymousreply 1August 19, 2018 8:54 PM

Yeah, a lot of blacks don't learn to swim--part of that unpleasant history of being banned from public pools and beaches in the south--though it's an issue in other countries as well. When swimming's not part of your family's culture, then you're that less likely to swim.

I went to a high school with a mixed student body that required swimming. Basically, the white and East Asian kids were all in the middle or advanced swimming groups and nearly all the black kids were in the non or barely swimming groups. I think there was one in the middle group. Strikingly different from the other sports we did.

by Anonymousreply 2August 19, 2018 9:11 PM

Dark water.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3August 19, 2018 9:12 PM

Race-bating thread #5838493

by Anonymousreply 4August 19, 2018 9:12 PM

It's the hair-gets heavy in the water.

by Anonymousreply 5August 19, 2018 9:13 PM

Everyone knows blacks can’t swim.

by Anonymousreply 6August 19, 2018 9:14 PM

Isnt that funny R2,since in 1966 I took a swim class at a public pool and my brother and I were the only white kids in it.My city in n. fla has swim classes every year and have my whole life in public pools all over the city,so I doubt very seriously segregation is still the reason black people drown.Heres an idea,if you CANT swim,DONT go in the fucking water.

by Anonymousreply 7August 19, 2018 9:17 PM

... although I highly doubt the deplorable who started this thread has access to the NYT

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8August 19, 2018 9:23 PM

Yes it must be American racism. Blacks used to swim so brilliantly they had a whole Sea named for them.

by Anonymousreply 9August 19, 2018 9:32 PM

R7, you do realize that your anecdote doesn't do anything to contradict the legacy of discrimination against blacks in public swimming spaces, which has been well documented. Nor, in your defensiveness, did you pay attention to the point I made about the non-swimming being a legacy that was passed down.

But what you're really saying is that my post got in the way of your trolling.

by Anonymousreply 10August 19, 2018 9:32 PM

R2 - dumbass as someone who grew up down south and has lived in several states down south - I can tell you blacks are the predominant users of public pools and are well represented in rec center and ymca swim classes. Yes they start a little later mainly because they don’t encounter as many pools at peoples’ houses, hence less necessity. And yes it does mess up black womens hairstyles. Inner ear genetics may have something to do with it too but who knows. A lot of drownings are also accompanied by alcohol or drug intoxication. Not everything in America is explained by racial fucking oppression.

by Anonymousreply 11August 19, 2018 9:42 PM

Did extension drown?

by Anonymousreply 12August 19, 2018 9:47 PM

R11, Not everything, but swimming is one of them. It's a situation that's improved--thus, the kids you see in public pools (which may or may not be well funded, unlike private club pools where the white kids tend to be.)--but the legacy remains with the result that, yes, a lower percentage of blacks swim and there's a higher rate of drowning.

Sounds like the parents of those black kids in swimming classes are trying to overcome that legacy--good for them.

You sound more than a little defensive, by the way.

by Anonymousreply 13August 19, 2018 9:49 PM

I don’t know if it has anything to do with climate change but drownings have been common off the North Carolina coast this year due to stronger than usual riptides. Massachusetts and New Jersey have also had big numbers of drownings this summer. It might just be because we’ve had a hotter than normal summer and more people have been going in the water.

by Anonymousreply 14August 19, 2018 10:25 PM

OK R2,I'll play. Tell me this,if blacks cant swim because whitey in the 1950s wouldnt let them use the pool blah,blah,blah,then WHY do they go in the water ??? I cant play tennis,ergo,you dont see my ass on a tennis court! In florida,kids of ALL colors drown every year,maybe their parents were discriminated against too!

by Anonymousreply 15August 19, 2018 10:34 PM

R15, well, let's see, maybe it's fucking hot where they are and it's cooler by the water and wading doesn't require swimming skills.

Tennis courts, on the other hand, don't generate cool breezes.

You really are incredibly defensive--talk about an over-reaction to my bringing up the existence of historical discrimination and it having a legacy. You're really going to pretend attitudes and habits don't get passed down?

I didn't tell you to feel guilty or responsible for this, but damn you're sure acting that way. But I guess it's because I'm daring to suggest that the non-swimming isn't indicative of something innately wrong with black people--and this was all set up to be one of those justifying-racism threads.

By the way, did you know that the crawl was invented by Native Americans? And, separately, by Australian aborigines?

by Anonymousreply 16August 19, 2018 10:52 PM

This is one of those threads that is useful for blocking racist shit stains.

by Anonymousreply 17August 19, 2018 10:57 PM

R16 Oh honey,you try so hard. yet its really very simple...you cant swim,dont go in the water. Period.

by Anonymousreply 18August 19, 2018 10:58 PM

Fact: neither one of you know whether or not they knew how to swim so the whole back-and-forth is pointless.

by Anonymousreply 19August 19, 2018 11:13 PM

R18, So people should learn to swim in the air?

Next time they pass out the brains, don't hide in the sewer.

by Anonymousreply 20August 19, 2018 11:14 PM

R13 Are you American? You speak in stereotypes.

by Anonymousreply 21August 20, 2018 2:34 AM

Celebrities?

by Anonymousreply 22August 20, 2018 2:36 AM

I suspect swimming lessons are not a priority for most black parents, unlike other races.

According to R11 and R13, that might be starting to change. So good for those parents who are getting their kids into lessons. Swimming is a basic skill that everyone should know.

by Anonymousreply 23August 20, 2018 3:22 AM

[quote] I'll play. Tell me this,if blacks cant swim because whitey in the 1950s wouldnt let them use the pool blah,blah,blah,then WHY do they go in the water ???

Actually it was the 1960's, the very, very late 1960's and 1970's. A lot of places in the South filled in their pools rather than have to allow black people to use the pools

And despite civil rights laws, many people (including law enforcement) in the 1970's South refused to follow the law and give equal rights to black citizens. This was such a problem that the National Guard had to go to many of these places and make sure the white people followed the law of the land

And, FUCK YOU, YOU IGNORANT CUNT

by Anonymousreply 24August 20, 2018 4:51 AM

r24 should skip a few swimming classes and take etiquette classes.

by Anonymousreply 25August 20, 2018 4:59 AM

I agree that R24’s caps were unnecessary, even if they were directed at a racist cunt.

by Anonymousreply 26August 20, 2018 5:02 AM

This thread is very hurtful. I don't know why anyone would choose for it to be. Black people were routinely excluded from public swimming pools, even after Jim Crow was supposedly over.

by Anonymousreply 27August 20, 2018 5:19 AM

Shame on you R13, R15, R23 for using the plural word 'parents'.

You should know that most of the people we're talking about here had either a Bobby-Momma or, perhaps, a Baby-Daddy. But not both.

by Anonymousreply 28August 20, 2018 5:30 AM

WTF!?????

by Anonymousreply 29August 20, 2018 9:07 AM

These threads attract deplorables like moths to a light.

by Anonymousreply 30August 20, 2018 9:16 AM

r28 is blocked, disgusting piece of shit.

by Anonymousreply 31August 20, 2018 9:25 AM

[quote] I suspect swimming lessons are not a priority for most black parents, unlike other races.

WOW! Dial down the racism. Maybe instead of talking about “race” you should be talking about “economic class”. There’s a big difference. People who are struggling financially might not see “swimming lessons” as a priority. Be they black or white. In the US, blacks are disproportionately represented in the lower economic classes - (hmmm, I wonder if history can explain why?). Let’s not conflate race with economic class.

by Anonymousreply 32August 20, 2018 9:27 AM

Indonesians don't swim— even though they live on islands.

They believe there's a 'Goddess' or 'Dragon' in the ocean who will take them.

by Anonymousreply 33August 20, 2018 9:29 AM

They don't want to take off their sneakers.

by Anonymousreply 34August 20, 2018 9:50 AM

R312 Don't be so sanctimonious!

This guy talks about the terrible legacy left by parents who "go AWOL" on their responsibilities and abandon their own offspring—

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35August 20, 2018 10:00 AM

^ ** R31**

by Anonymousreply 36August 20, 2018 10:02 AM

Would a moderator PLEASE shut this racist cesspool of a thread down?

by Anonymousreply 37August 20, 2018 10:03 AM

The sooner that segment of black society begins to buck the fuck up and take responsibility for its inaction and tolerance of drugs, drug culture, gun violence, abandonment of kids, as well as stopping the invidious attacks on those many black americans who act responsibly and hold down jobs, raise their kids, go to college. Of course we now have a growing white population that apes that nonsense. Of course there's the other side from whites-a friend who worked in a large NYC bank, running one of 6 floors, earning at the time almost 500000k, once spoke of his despair. He said "you can walk into an upmarket store in your shorts and tee shirt with no problem. The moment I walk in , despite my $1200 suit, someone immediately comes up to me and asks"may I help you sir?" and my every move is watched". My heart broke for him.

by Anonymousreply 38August 20, 2018 10:12 AM

Poverty sometimes keep you from swimming if your Mom can't afford to buy you a swimsuit. When I learned how to dog paddle it was one of the best days of my life.

by Anonymousreply 39August 20, 2018 10:19 AM

This had little to nothing to do with swimming skills, or the lack thereof. Even an excellent swimmer, if caught out on one of those sand bars, can't make it back to the beach if they wait until the incoming tide gets too high. The currents are so strong during the incoming tides that it becomes just like a riptide and takes even the strongest swimmer out to sea, and they drown.

by Anonymousreply 40August 20, 2018 10:28 AM

Were Montell Newton and Kiwan Benson lovers?

Was this some kind of " liebestod"?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41August 20, 2018 10:47 AM

R38, SHUT THE HELL UP! Black people don't need to be lectured to by trash like you. It took white people like you CENTURIES to stop lying about how viciously evil, hateful, and aggressively destructive you've been to Black people. And white people certainly have no problem tolerating your own drug and gun culture. You celebrate it from your 60s drug heyday to coke snorting Wall Streeters. The only difference is that the racist WHITE police and legal system target Black people for arrest and imprisonment but White Privilege allows you lawbreaking pigs to use drugs with impunity. If they had been arresting and incarcerating white people in the numbers that you do drugs, the prison system would have a VERY different complexion. And don't even get me started on the NRA and militias or all the white men who commit mass shootings like that white man in Vegas who shot 500(!!!!) people and killed 58! You ammosexuals are perverts for guns; your gun obsession is vile and sick. Take away your guns and you'd be impotent. You pig-ignorant racist piece of garbage, R38, white people like you have the f**king gall to criticize Black people like you're without sin when you are, in fact, the Original Sinners!

by Anonymousreply 42October 21, 2018 4:03 AM

They drowned in their own woke-ness.

by Anonymousreply 43October 21, 2018 4:10 AM

My mom grew up mixed race (black/Mexican) in LA in the 1940s-50s and she never learned to swim. Her father and great aunt would take her to the beach and tell her she could get in the water as long as she didn't get her socks wet, but she wasn't allowed to take her socks off. Her great aunt also liked to play "beach" with her in her bedroom in the dark in the middle of the day. The details of that game sound like she was being molested and that her great aunt was a schizophrenic who heard music coming from the radio while it was off.

When I was about 19, my mom took me to Tybee Island. We saw a dead baby dolphin washed up on the shore. It was shimmery pink/purple. Someone told us Sandra Bullock had a place nearby.

by Anonymousreply 44October 21, 2018 6:29 AM

Why is it that so many black people don't know how to swim? Serious question. I don't get it.

by Anonymousreply 45October 21, 2018 7:54 AM

R45 Because the black might wash off if they got into the water?

by Anonymousreply 46October 21, 2018 8:03 AM

R46 you are not funny

by Anonymousreply 47October 21, 2018 8:07 AM

R42 As the old centuries long saying goes. everything that's done to black people will eventually happen to everyone else. And there won't be any way to escape it either.

Every dog is going to have his day and the cat is going to have his in the afternoon.

Case in point, Europe and south Africa. And don't think Australia can't be touched. Because it will be. Everything always comes full circle. It's just the way of the universe.

by Anonymousreply 48October 21, 2018 4:07 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!