Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Which of these (re-)adaptations of classic gay novels would you most like to see?

THE CITY AND THE PILLAR starring Cole Sprouse as Jim Willard and Cameron Monaghan as Bob Ford

CITY OF NIGHT starring Aaron Taylor-Johnson

THE CONFUSIONS OF YOUNG TÖRLESS starring Tom Holland as Törless, Asa Butterfield as Basini (the abused boy), and Ross Lynch & Thomas Brodie-Sangster as the abusers

DANCER FROM THE DANCE starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt as Malone and Rami Malek as Sutherland

DEATH IN VENICE starring Ralph Fiennes and Finn Wolfhard

GIOVANNI'S ROOM starring Ansel Elgort as David and Ezra Miller as Giovanni

MAURICE starring Freddie Highmore as Maurice, Douglas Booth as Clive, and Taron Egerton as Scudder

THE MEMOIRS OF HADRIAN starring Mark Strong as Hadrian and Aramis Knight as Antinous

OUR LADY OF THE FLOWERS starring Timothee Chalamet

SPECIAL FRIENDSHIPS starring David Mazouz and Noah Schnapp

by Anonymousreply 10September 26, 2018 7:29 PM

None. I want to see The Dreyfus Affair. Sadly I know it will never happen. The writer has tried to green light the novel for at least a decade with no luck.

by Anonymousreply 1August 19, 2018 6:07 PM

The Sluts by Dennis Cooper. It's one of the most absolutely brutal pieces of fiction I have ever read (gay or straight) but there are so many clever twists. I think this would make an amazing indie film done by Gregg Arakki or someone similar. I highly recommend.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2August 19, 2018 6:10 PM

"The Swimming Pool Library"

Oliver Jackson-Cohen: William

Russel Tovey: Phil

Bill Nighy: Lord Nantwich

Dominic West: Bill

Daniel Kaluuya: Arthur

Tom Hiddleston: James

by Anonymousreply 3August 19, 2018 6:56 PM

I love GIOVANNI'S ROOM, and done sparsely & tastefully a fresh take would be welcome.

I must say, though; Baldwin's meatier and more passionate confessional book JUST ABOVE MY HEAD is a far more satisfying read and would meet with better success given today's milieu of Black Pride and renewed interest in African-American urbana (post-LUKE CAGE, the embodiment of Harlem) as well as the current somber mood of a USA mourning foregone glory and trying to sweep away the broken shells of racial divide.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4August 19, 2018 8:53 PM

@OP:

1) Can we have the other Sprouse instead? It does make a difference.

2) Douglas Booth comes over quite stupid where Clive Durham...really isn't.

3) I don't want TimotAY anywhere near Genet who is actually my spiritual Dad.

Otherwise yeah, all good. As you were.

by Anonymousreply 5August 19, 2018 9:01 PM

THE FRONT RUNNER with Charlie Hunnam as Harlan Brown and Tom Holland as Billy Sive.

by Anonymousreply 6August 19, 2018 9:16 PM

What might have been: In the 70s there was a much talked about "Front Runner" starring Paul Newman and Jan-Michael Vincent. Sadly, it never got made. Would have been amazing.

I don't think Joseph Gordon-Levitt is in any way, shape or form right for Malone in DFTD. That is terrible casting.

by Anonymousreply 7August 19, 2018 9:23 PM

bump

by Anonymousreply 8September 26, 2018 6:44 PM

Joseph Gordon Levitt could not be a worse choice for Malone. WTF.

by Anonymousreply 9September 26, 2018 6:47 PM

Is there a single openly gay actor on OPs dream list of gay stories?

We are our own worst enemies.

by Anonymousreply 10September 26, 2018 7:29 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!