Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Intrusive / Obsessive Negative Thoughts

I've been going through a very rough situation recently, and I cannot seem to live a normal life while this is going on. I can't let it leave my head for more than 10 minutes. There's nothing I can do about the situation - it just has to work itself out over time. But, my mind won't let it. When I go to sleep, it is in my dreams. I wake up after 4 hours with my mind racing about the issue. I can't go back to bed. I can't stop this no matter how many self-help articles I've read (I like the attached video but it isn't always effective). This is not the first time. I've been susceptible to this since I was fairly young, and I've had therapy for it but it's not always easy or possible to follow those steps (CBT / DBT) - especially regarding dreams and waking up in the middle of the night. I am wondering if I need some kind of pill at this point.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19August 20, 2018 6:46 AM

Yes, OP. It sounds like you should start taking SSRIs.

by Anonymousreply 1August 19, 2018 4:13 PM

Don't they take 4-6 weeks to work?

by Anonymousreply 2August 19, 2018 4:14 PM

Yes, prescription medication will help. You need relief.

by Anonymousreply 3August 19, 2018 4:14 PM

OP, does this by any chance have anything to do with rising brown tide in the ladies room at the Bellagio and a pair of shoes?

by Anonymousreply 4August 19, 2018 4:18 PM

No, I don't wear satin shoes.

by Anonymousreply 5August 19, 2018 4:19 PM

Try some otc GABA before you go on SSRIs. You can get some today at Sprouts, WF, or probably any health food store.

I was having looping thoughts several months ago and I found a bottle of GABA at Trader Joe's for $5. I slept so well after taking it-- maybe took a couple days, max. No more waking up at night and spending 2-3 hours in bed with thoughts I can't turn off. I can't dind it at TJs anymore, now I get it at Sprouts for $10-$15/mo.

Google "iintrusive thoughts GABA".

by Anonymousreply 6August 19, 2018 4:37 PM

^sorry for the typos

by Anonymousreply 7August 19, 2018 4:39 PM

Pills may help, and a very good therapist can make a world of difference. Intrusive thoughts are usually just a form of anxiety, where avoidance makes the problem worse and exposure helps to improve. My therapist had me purposely think things that scared me, like thinking "I hate my grandmother." (I didn't really *think* it, because I didn't feel that way, but I said it silently in my head.) I am much better now. I also recommend "The Imp of the Mind" by Lee Baer, especially if you have intrusive thoughts about suddenly snapping and harming people.

by Anonymousreply 8August 19, 2018 4:40 PM

Get a dog, it will get your mind off yourself. Because that's tedious, OP.

by Anonymousreply 9August 19, 2018 4:42 PM

TARGETED INDIVIDUALS

by Anonymousreply 10August 19, 2018 4:43 PM

How can DL help? What is the situation?

by Anonymousreply 11August 19, 2018 4:43 PM

This may sound stupid but take a few days off and travel to somewhere would help. It worked for me.

by Anonymousreply 12August 19, 2018 4:43 PM

I'm not sure how much DL can help at this point. I think just has to resolve itself with the other people involved and it will take a while to make that happen.

I would leave if I can but for now, I can't really go anywhere far (from work etc).

I have 20 mg propranolol which i was prescribed a few years ago when I went through a different problem but had a similar physical / psychological reaction. It sort of worked. The thoughts did not go away but it didn't feel like I was holding a live electrical wire all day.

by Anonymousreply 13August 19, 2018 4:50 PM

Why would asians want to be white, especially at this time? They are the most intelligent race and will dominate the world in the future, darling. They will eliminate the whites and enslave all other races.

by Anonymousreply 14August 19, 2018 5:03 PM

Wrong mental illness thread, R14

by Anonymousreply 15August 19, 2018 5:06 PM

Google "OCD Supplements" OP, there is a wealth of information. Also consider hypnotherapy.

by Anonymousreply 16August 19, 2018 5:08 PM

OP? Meditation. Start doing it.

by Anonymousreply 17August 19, 2018 5:09 PM

Webmaster! Stealth Asperger’s thread!

by Anonymousreply 18August 19, 2018 5:10 PM

I took the 3 year old propranolol and felt much better - but it only lasts 6-8 hours and then it's back. It's like a mosquito bite you put lotion on - once the lotion wears off the itch is almost worse than before, but there is some relief. I can at least think clearly - but I am almost too relaxed in my approach to the situation. It makes the whole thing seem not too bad at all...which is so bizarre. Is that what life is like for people without anxiety?

Nobody seems to prescribe benzos anymore and the 4-6 week wait for the ssri is too long right now (the issue may be over then).

Maybe I can get a new rx for this, but I have to make an appointment with my primary who is usually booked for a month. It's a miracle drug (at least for me). I don't know why it's not talked about much more. It's not even supposed to be addicting. My BP was high anyway (130s). 20 mg is apparently a tiny dose too, from what I understand.

by Anonymousreply 19August 20, 2018 6:46 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!