Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Sweeney Sisters

The Sweeney Sisters were the funniest characters on "Saturday Night Live," and worthy of a movie as any other cast members.

Nora Dunn on Jan Hooks: "It was Jan Hooks who came up with the idea for The Sweeney Sisters. On the spot while we were shooting a commercial parody for Saturday Night Live. It came like a minor explosion, as most of her ideas did, and she delivered the concept and our names in a matter of seconds. Then she started belting out medleys of classic swing songs. There was no way I could keep up with her. She was a seasoned improvisor who never credited herself as a writer and at the heart of her matter she was a genuine actress."

"I’m not ready to accept that Jan died, at 57. That’s not fair. But neither is life. It’s sorrowful, and there isn’t one comedian worth her weight in salt if she doesn’t understand that. "

"She and I spent an evening with George Harrison in Lorne’s office one night, drinking wine and playing records and listening to one of the Beatles, who was engaging and prolific, I remember her saying afterwards, “Did that really happen?” And I hear myself saying that now, as I read this piece. Did it? "

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6August 25, 2018 3:41 AM

Never got the appeal. They were mildly amusing, but the sketches of them were such thin gruel.

I know, sacrilege!

by Anonymousreply 1August 19, 2018 6:42 AM

The last known documentation of R1

by Anonymousreply 2August 19, 2018 6:46 AM

Agh, loved them! That was probably my favorite era of SNL, with Jan Hooks, Phil Hartman, and Chris Farley. I can't believe they're all dead now.

by Anonymousreply 3August 19, 2018 6:50 AM

🎼 Clang, clang, clang went the trolley

Ding, ding, ding went the bell 🎶!

by Anonymousreply 4August 19, 2018 8:30 AM

Their hopeful desperation probably hits too close to home for many DLers.

by Anonymousreply 5August 19, 2018 8:35 AM

The only funny SNL skit ever.

by Anonymousreply 6August 25, 2018 3:41 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!