Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

March 18,1983 CBS commercials

The Wizard of Oz preempted The Dukes of Hazard so I know you elders were watching.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31August 20, 2018 5:23 AM

What a random thread!

I have no doubt that I was watching that exact night because watching the annual broadcast of the Wizard of Oz was a family viewing event for us. Some of those commercials look soooo old. Hilarious that the Cadbury egg-laying bunny is still the exact same commercial they show today. And, to think, Connie Chung wanted the government to clean up toxic waste way back then and we're still up shit's creek environmentally. The mention of the space shuttle Challenger making its first flight made me sad.

by Anonymousreply 1August 18, 2018 8:36 PM

Part 2

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2August 18, 2018 8:41 PM

R2 is that Joey Lawrence in the Smurfs commercial?

by Anonymousreply 3August 18, 2018 9:01 PM

Yes that's Joey.

by Anonymousreply 4August 18, 2018 9:36 PM

I think Clip 1 featured Danny Pintauro in the PAAS commercial.

by Anonymousreply 5August 18, 2018 10:42 PM

Thank ya, Easter Bunny!

by Anonymousreply 6August 18, 2018 10:48 PM

Am I the only one whose first thought upon seeing the ketchup on the burger was, "omg, someone made a commercial & accidentally made the ketchup look like a poop emoji!", and THEN saw that it was about commercials from 1983 (long before "emoji" was even a Japanese word, and decades before we became socially-conditioned to associated swirled viscous food objects with smiling feces)?

by Anonymousreply 7August 18, 2018 11:08 PM

too bad we didn't know to appreciate those commercials. It was before Lawyers and pharmaceutical companies were allowed to advertise. And there wasn't a single car commercial either. now no one advertises. Is it because they can't afford it or they don't need it?

by Anonymousreply 8August 18, 2018 11:23 PM

Buy! Obey! Consume!

by Anonymousreply 9August 18, 2018 11:34 PM

Emmanuel Lewis (Webster) in the Mrs. Paul's commercial.

WHET Velamints?

by Anonymousreply 10August 19, 2018 1:08 AM

That’s Joanna Kerns (“Growing Pains”) in the Mary Kay commercial. WEHT Like cola?

by Anonymousreply 11August 19, 2018 3:46 AM

Who knew there was colored television on 1983?

by Anonymousreply 12August 19, 2018 3:48 AM

Interesting to see black people in commercials back then. Clearly this was before America was made safe again for whites only.

by Anonymousreply 13August 19, 2018 3:52 AM

I love all the tacky-cozy auntie decor. The more mauve floral wallpaper, the better.

by Anonymousreply 14August 19, 2018 3:59 AM

Can anyone identify the jingle I've had going through my head for awhile? I think it was for a perfume or body spray. Maybe Love's? Definitely an 80s-era commercial, possibly early 90s. All I can remember is one repeated phrase but there might have been more:

I'm get-TING in-TO Mischief now (repeat)

by Anonymousreply 15August 19, 2018 5:08 AM

Both of those Campbell soup ads are bizarre.

I had forgotten the “It’s in there!” ads for Prego. That dumb campaign ran forever.

by Anonymousreply 16August 19, 2018 5:38 AM

The McDonald's ad with the brother and sister is creepy.

by Anonymousreply 17August 19, 2018 5:41 AM

Agreed. The kiss at the end? Fucking creepy.

Here’s the box office for that weekend.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18August 19, 2018 5:47 AM

Here's the playlist for American Top 40 for that week, brought to you by Chewels.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19August 19, 2018 7:02 AM

So no one noticed Ian Ziering in that second Campbell’s soup ad??!! I’d have to watch it again but I think he had a nose job since - it was hard to tell 100 percent under all that hair.

Also...anyone know who did the voiceover in the first Campbell’s commercial? He voiced like half the commercials around that time (70s/first half of the 80s)

And whoever says TV is worse now those ads for new shows remind us that there were always so many crap shows on the networks.

That CBS bumper I remember too well - I watched all the Charlie Brown specials growing up.

by Anonymousreply 20August 19, 2018 7:38 AM

When did they stop running The Wizard of Oz on Easter Sunday night?

by Anonymousreply 21August 19, 2018 10:06 AM

R20 Charlie Brown was so thoughtfully done with excellent writing that both kids and adults can appreciate and they also have their own, special ambiance, their own special feeling. Those shows are gems. I'm a millennial, so I was riding on my parents nostalgia of it as a kid but I preferred "Peanuts" over every other kids during my childhood and looked forward to every special.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22August 19, 2018 1:12 PM

R22 "...kids [show]..."

by Anonymousreply 23August 19, 2018 1:13 PM

r12 is a millennial.

by Anonymousreply 24August 19, 2018 1:27 PM

R24 So am I but I'm not culturally illiterate about anything before 2010.

by Anonymousreply 25August 19, 2018 1:57 PM

The pacing of these commercials is so leisurely.

by Anonymousreply 26August 19, 2018 2:10 PM

R21, probably around the time when literally everyone with any desire to see it had already seen it multiple times, and could re-watch it whenever they liked by renting it on VHS. Eventually, people were more nostalgic about the IDEA of its annual Easter rerun than interested in actually WATCHING it.

In the 70s, most people had only a few TV channels (best-case, maybe 12... a half-dozen locals, a public-access cable channel, maybe HBO, a channel that showed blocky weather radar with stock ticker and news headlines, and possibly a loopy local UHF channel or two. And because of the perceived nostalgia value of The Wizard of Oz, other networks didn't really try to compete with it at first... until eventually, they did. By the early 80s, most cable providers had gone to 36+ channels, and THOSE channels weren't shy about competing for viewers with a movie that (by then) was old and tired. I'm not totally sure, but I think at one point, the cable networks even tried to compete with the Wizard of Oz directly... I think I vaguely remember MTV airing "The Wiz" during the same time slot the year "Thriller" was hot (capitalizing on nostalgia for the movie, the fact that everyone was bored with it by then, and the draw of a movie with Michael Jackson himself).

by Anonymousreply 27August 19, 2018 7:34 PM

One thing I REALLY miss about commercials in the 80s... their time-synchronization was ENORMOUSLY better back then. We didn't have crap like the final 500 milliseconds of a scene stuttering, going black, flashing back on for 1 or 2 frames, launching into a commercial that itself got interrupted a half-second before its actual ending by additional commercials, only to jump back into the final 5 frames of the previous scene before it faded out for a second and the next scene began.

Seriously, the modern TV and advertising industry desperately needs to get its shit together timing-wise. If I were an advertiser, I'd be PISSED AS HELL if I knew the commercial I was paying for was consistently getting cut off mid-sentence a half-second or more before its actual end. And there's literally NO REASON FOR IT anymore. We have digital video, on hard drives, whose duration is PRECISELY known down to the literal millisecond, with the ability to not only get the cuts precisely right, but transition them gracefully in realtime as well. But no, watch any streaming video service (like VoD shows on SlingTV), and you'll see the kind of amateur hack & slash timing (and complete lack of proper transitions between show and commercials) that would have gotten a station manager FIRED twenty years ago.

by Anonymousreply 28August 19, 2018 7:44 PM

I have nostalgia for the ABC star tunnel bumper.

by Anonymousreply 29August 19, 2018 10:31 PM

I wasn't even alive yet.

by Anonymousreply 30August 19, 2018 10:39 PM

Re: the comments on the timing of commercials. If I'm not mistaken, most ads used to be 30 seconds in length in the 70s and 80s. Now it seems like a lot of ads run 15 seconds. I'm guessing, because I pretty much watch all television on DVR and FF through commercials.

by Anonymousreply 31August 20, 2018 5:23 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!