Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

White House Counsel Donald McGahn Working WITH Mueller Investigation

He was afraid Trump was going to try to pin it all on him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62August 21, 2018 11:10 AM

Trump is such a criminal!! Don't they have enough to get him yet?

by Anonymousreply 1August 18, 2018 7:49 PM

With Donald Trump you have to do all you can to cover your ass because he will not only throw you under the bus, he will run you over with it numerous times.

by Anonymousreply 2August 18, 2018 7:52 PM

Now this, is a BFD

by Anonymousreply 3August 18, 2018 7:54 PM

Maggie Haberman co-writes... so is this a pro-Trump missive?

by Anonymousreply 4August 18, 2018 7:57 PM

must be, all she does is fellate him

by Anonymousreply 5August 18, 2018 8:01 PM

Trump will have no trouble replacing him. What talented lawyer wouldn’t love to be White House Counsel?

by Anonymousreply 6August 18, 2018 8:02 PM

Or R4 McGahn is using her to advance his narrative.

by Anonymousreply 7August 18, 2018 8:38 PM

So do we have our own John Dean? Remarkable, if so.

by Anonymousreply 8August 18, 2018 9:41 PM

Looks like it R8.

by Anonymousreply 9August 18, 2018 9:54 PM

It's a Haberman article. That means that the White House leaked it to her so that Rudy Giuliani can claim that the White House has been cooperating with Mueller for months and since in all that time there is "no collusion" then Mueller should cease his investigation now.

by Anonymousreply 10August 18, 2018 10:42 PM

So this is not good for Trump. right?

by Anonymousreply 11August 18, 2018 11:05 PM

It depends on what MdGahn told Mueller. But, this doesn't sound promising for Orange Cheatolini:

[quote] In at least three voluntary interviews with investigators that totaled 30 hours over the past nine months, Mr. McGahn described the president’s furor toward the Russia investigation and the ways in which he urged Mr. McGahn to respond to it. He provided the investigators examining whether Mr. Trump obstructed justice a clear view of the president’s most intimate moments with his lawyer.

by Anonymousreply 12August 18, 2018 11:17 PM

R10 is right, and Trump’s already tweeted something to that effect.

by Anonymousreply 13August 18, 2018 11:20 PM

What is with Haberman? The nytimes should ax her and tell the administration to buy their own newspaper if they want to print their own stories.

by Anonymousreply 14August 18, 2018 11:29 PM

Nixon had John Deen, who blew the whistle from the inside. McGahn is the guy this time.

by Anonymousreply 15August 18, 2018 11:33 PM

The guy still has a job? Maybe his testimony is good for Trump then.

But 30 hours? That's a long time. Mueller must've have found a lot to look into

by Anonymousreply 16August 19, 2018 10:33 AM

The most fascinating detail in all this is that he sees himself as being the lawyer for the "presidency" not the "president".

by Anonymousreply 17August 19, 2018 10:36 AM

That’s because that’s his job.

by Anonymousreply 18August 19, 2018 10:55 AM

Giuliani: "We think it was leaked to get the President to testify -- that he would get angry at (McGahn) the way he did at Omarosa -- and would want to testify."

“Shortly after the Times published its report on Saturday, Giuliani called on Mueller's team to wrap up its investigation and file a report on its findings.”

You know that the “source close to the President” are Donald and Rudy and that Maggie Haberman was their stenographer for this “article”. Trump, who gave up “build the wall” and “Lock her up” will soon introduce his new slogan for Bob Mueller, “Wrap it up”.

by Anonymousreply 19August 19, 2018 10:59 AM

My head spins.

by Anonymousreply 20August 19, 2018 11:55 AM

I have to wonder how much Haberman did on this article. She is obviously very proprietary about her beat and her sources, but it's possible the other reporter did the bulk of the work, and she made a few hone alls. I can't see thearticle because of the pay wall, but is she the lead writer of this piece?

I'm thinking the leak came from McGahn himself and possibly because he believed it was going to come out. It's possible Trump's Lawyers found out he was talking to the FBI, and as a means of self- preservation McGahn came out with it to get ahead of them. If you were working in that snake pit, and had a BIG SECRET and you thought or were told by Trump's lawyers, "What's this we hear about you working with the Mueller team? " You'd want to make sure the media knew your side first, not Rudy's or Donald's. And you'd probably want to make sure you weren't crossing the street when Don & Rudy were driving through.

My guess is the Trump is in panic mode not only about Omarosa, but about this. I have to wonder how long they knew. Probably for the past couple weeks, no longer. McGahn's discussions with Mueller pre date Bill Shine, too. Remember that. Bill Shine is really orchestrating the flow of information for Trump.He's the one who decided to announce the revoking of security clearances to distract from Omarosa, and then we discovered it is part of his media strategy to stagger the announcements for when they want to distract from other news, as reported in the Washington Post.

my alternative theory is that Haberman, through her own sources, which IMO didn't include Rudy or Trump, discovered McGahn was cooperating and went to him to confirm. If the NYT had the information, he would have had to confirm it ahead of Rudy. My point is, this is not good news and Rudy Trump and their gang didn't leak it. Now Rudy will lie and try to put the best spin on it. But clearly this White House is unraveling, and Trump is really getting much worse. He's going over the edge, IMO.

by Anonymousreply 21August 19, 2018 12:15 PM

If it is a day that ends in "y" then Rudy is calling on Bob Mueller to end the investigation. I wonder, when Rudy was the U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York, how often he heeded the calls from attorneys of the criminals under investigation to "wrap up" their work. I'll hazard a guess: ZERO. The miscreant -- and in this case a traitorous felon -- doesn't dictate to the prosecutor how long to take on the investigation.

Rudy should sit down and shut up and stop opening that nightmare of a mouth.

by Anonymousreply 22August 19, 2018 12:16 PM

I have a very strong feeling that Rudy and Trump "negotiations" with Mueller are fiction at this point. I don't think Mueller or his team is wasting time on Rudy. Bet Rudy has trouble getting his calls returned. LOL!

The Mueller team is silent. They are stealth. Maybe months ago they indicated they might want the POTUS to be interviewed. But after all the bullshit back and forth, Muller's guys probably walked away from that possibility and never looked back.

My guess is Rudy's constant crap about negotiations with Mueller and the President testifying or WTF ever is all about theater, all about making Trump's base think Trump is still in control. Rudy has zero cred. He's a joke. They're trying to create the impression of ongoing dialogue with Mueller but there is none.

by Anonymousreply 23August 19, 2018 1:11 PM

I don't even pretend to understand what comes out of this dumpster fire of an administration and the cretins who work there who'd lie when the truth would do better, but I do think it's rather interesting that individuals closest to the president with something to lose - and not just dipshit attention whores like Omaroso - seem to recognize that the ship is going down and they're determined not to go down with it.

It seems genuinely shocking what this guy has done, but he's clearly in self-preservation mode and I'll bet that's true of many others. I don't trust this NYTimes reporter - I think someone fed her the story - but I have a hard time believing its Dump & Ghouliani as it makes both of them look like chumps.

by Anonymousreply 24August 19, 2018 1:59 PM

As for indicting a sitting POTUS, I doubt very much that Mueller would ever foreclose that option publicly. I don't think he ever said any such thing to McGahn. I can believe that Mueller, because he is a conservative with a reverence for the office of the President would tread carefully, very mindful of setting precedents, etc. But if a POTUS commits a crime, and the evidence is indisputable and it is in your face blatant, I doubt seriously if th Special Prosecutor would make a determination that he would never indict a sitting POTUS.

by Anonymousreply 25August 19, 2018 2:05 PM

Trump is terrified. Smell the fear.

by Anonymousreply 26August 19, 2018 2:42 PM

Trump says McGahn is not a "John Dean type 'RAT'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27August 19, 2018 2:50 PM

[quote]I have a very strong feeling that Rudy and Trump "negotiations" with Mueller are fiction at this point.

Absolutely. I think Rudy keeps talking about this just to deflect from whatever disaster du jour is going on.

by Anonymousreply 28August 19, 2018 2:54 PM

What I hate the most about all of this is how amateurish they are. Bumbling corruption is so third world. We used to be great at this!

by Anonymousreply 29August 19, 2018 2:56 PM

In a week Rudy Giuliani is going to be calling Donald McGahn a scoundrel and a liar and that Trump never trusted the guy.

by Anonymousreply 30August 19, 2018 3:02 PM

Rudy is a has been who is pathetically trying to keep himself relevant.

by Anonymousreply 31August 19, 2018 3:38 PM

And this morning Rudy told Chuck Toad that "truth isn't truth."

Chuck was doing a decent job trying to pin Rudy down over the point that if you tell the truth consistently -- yesterday, today, and tomorrow -- then you do not have to fear walking into a perjury trap. But then Chuck let Rudy bamboozle him by changing the facts significantly and saying that Trump may recall things one way and Comey may say they were different. OK, but that has nothing to do with perjury and nothing to do with the fact that Trump can't keep his story straight from one minute to the next let alone one day to the next.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32August 19, 2018 4:36 PM

The quandary that Rudy posits in that interview is quite glaring: who do you trust? The guy who built a career out of being that honest, sincere standard bearer, or the guy who has been shown to lie about everything from his fortune to his hairstyle?

Indeed, the truth isn't true any more. At least not for roughly a third of the American people.

by Anonymousreply 33August 19, 2018 4:49 PM

Well R32 that's the thing about lying isn't it. Telling the truth is easiest because you don't have to remember all that crap you've lied about.

by Anonymousreply 34August 19, 2018 5:49 PM

For Trump and his water carrier Giuliani, it's not about facts or truth it's putting out a constantly changing the narrative and moving the goal posts of what is considered acceptable and what is considered criminal. They are giving the Trump base propaganda that they can use as an so-called argument when Mueller does present the results of his investigation. So long as they keep spinning their yarns their base laps it up. It's all about tribal support now, it has absolutely nothing to do with truth. Truth be damned.

by Anonymousreply 35August 19, 2018 6:24 PM

R1 Given the way he looks at his daughter, I wouldn't be surprised if he was fucking underage girls in Moscow and that Putin the Pedo has the tapes.

by Anonymousreply 36August 19, 2018 6:26 PM

Still, 37% is less than 63%.

by Anonymousreply 37August 19, 2018 6:27 PM

These people are so fucked. Right before Nixon went down he seemed more powerful than ever. It seemed as if nothing could stop him....

by Anonymousreply 38August 19, 2018 6:29 PM

R38 is correct. I remember. Nixon was traveling to Moscow to to diplomacy with Brezhnev. Nixon went to China for the very first time any American POTUS ever. Went to the Great Wall, etc. He was desperate to be seen as being "Presidential." This Anus wouldn't understand that. And Trump will not go quietly. He has too many people telling him to fight. His ego has always got in the way of judgement. He has no judgement. He is pure self indulgence.

by Anonymousreply 39August 19, 2018 6:32 PM

Who knew being president would be so hard? If I'd known I'd win I'd have covered my tracks a lot better. Now I better keep smashing things left and right before they find THAT thing out. Oh shit.

by Anonymousreply 40August 19, 2018 6:35 PM

Don't worry, Donald, Eric has tweeted that he hates disloyal people. Eric's tweets are taken very seriously and have settled the matter once and for all!

by Anonymousreply 41August 19, 2018 6:49 PM

I agree that Trump won't go quietly and you know he'll start slinging his shit like a monkey in a cage. He'll tweet shit on everyone - Paul Ryan, Mitch, Graham, etc. It will be horrifying because he'll try to take the country down with him, but I still hold out hope that Mattis will put a bullet in his head.

by Anonymousreply 42August 19, 2018 7:03 PM

Nope, R42. I have a feeling, perhaps more a hope, that Trump will have a CIA induced heart attack. Now there are all kinds of ways for Trump to go down, but IMO if I were shooting this movie I'd have the CIA set him up so that Putin thinks Trump did something bad to him. Then Putin would green light his heart attack.

by Anonymousreply 43August 19, 2018 8:59 PM

As relieved as I’d be to have him out of office at any cost, I don’t want him to die. I want him to live to see his whole family go to jail. I want him to live to see his 'brand' destroyed and his so-called empire sink into the sand upon which it was built.

by Anonymousreply 44August 19, 2018 9:03 PM

burn their crops, salt their wells drive them from the land and hear the lamentations of their women....

works for me

by Anonymousreply 45August 19, 2018 9:08 PM

His family can always return to their prison cells [italic] after [/italic] the funeral, R44

by Anonymousreply 46August 19, 2018 9:11 PM

Yeah, simply resigning is too good for this fucker and his fucking friends.

I want them to go to prison just like all of Nixon's boys only these assholes will do more time.

by Anonymousreply 47August 19, 2018 9:36 PM

I AM starting to believe finally that the tide is starting to turn against him- more powerful people are testifying against him, more ugly truth/evidence is coming out (Omarosa), bad consequences of his reckless and stupid behavior is being made evident: tariffs/stock market, and farmers, North Korea etc. So I DO believe they will get him in the end. I just don't know how long it will Take, how much damage he will do by then, and God forbid- he leaves Pence and other asshole Republicans in his place.

by Anonymousreply 48August 19, 2018 9:51 PM

So the POTUS rages that Mueller's invesrigation is targeting the mid-term elections.

But where's the rage, panic, anger, outrage from the President of this country about another country - the traditional enemy Russian no less - and its interference - again! - that threatens the US. Ever?

What have the GOP said, what have the Dems said?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49August 20, 2018 6:36 PM

Will the Mueller investigation ever come to an end?

by Anonymousreply 50August 20, 2018 6:43 PM

Why does you ask? Are you Ivanka, or...

by Anonymousreply 51August 20, 2018 6:44 PM

[quote]Who knew being president would be so hard? If I'd known I'd win I'd have covered my tracks a lot better.

It's about to get much, much harder. Manafort will either be convicted and face an overwhelming urge to cooperate, or be acquitted and then go on trial AGAIN.

Cohen is right in the verge of being arrested and if he is, you can bet your ass that he'll flip because he is GUILTY AS FUCK and he knows it.

Mueller could very well release a report, or more indictments, between now and midterm election day.

Omarosa might continue to release embarrassing clips.

And it's looking quite possible that Trump will be facing a hostile House in 2019.

So if you think it's been bad so far ...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52August 20, 2018 6:48 PM

I wonder if, at some point down the road, Trump will realize he was just a pawn in a worldwide conspiracy for nationalists, and Alt Right extremists all over Europe and North America to take over. Oligarchy, corporate fascism, whatever you want to call it. Trump was used because he is a celebrity and he was easy to handle. Yes, he has political views similar to the Extremists, but at the end of the day he was not and is not some political leader he's just a Reality Show celebrity they're using and when he becomes inconvenient, or he has outlived his usefulness they will move him out of the way, and move on to their next "Leader." He's a Puppet, just like Hillary said he was. (You're a puppet, no you're a puppet, no you are!") Even now I'd safely bet that someone like a Lindsey Graham, or a Rand Paul and several others a re auditioning to be Trump's successor.

by Anonymousreply 53August 20, 2018 6:55 PM

So President Trump (R) called Dean a rat for testifying truthfully before Congress??

Wow.

He really is horrible.

by Anonymousreply 54August 20, 2018 7:09 PM

I just saw a cutie on with Ali Velshi on MSNBC. Eliot Williams, a former U.S. Attorney and a new face. Young, cute and really smart.

by Anonymousreply 55August 20, 2018 7:11 PM

Ok, I know I'm going to catch shit for this, but I don't think this is the scandal it's being made out to be.

White House counsel is talking to the investigation so as to give the WH's side of some events in question, without Trump having to speak to them directly.

What's intriguing is that he has been reported as taking steps to prevent HIMSELF from being scapegoated by Trump for the obstruction. Such is the loyalty that Trump fosters in others, with his shitty narcissistic behavior.

But it's also been said that McGahn has not said anything to materially implicate Trump.

And I hate trump with the white-hot intensity of a thousand and seven suns. The man is appalling. To call John Dean a rat a) is using the lingo of a fucking GANGSTER, and b) shows clearly that he cares not a bit about the office he holds or its faithful execution for the good of the American people, but only for furthering his own selfish, crooked goals, and then protecting himself from the consequences.

by Anonymousreply 56August 20, 2018 8:29 PM

"But it's also been said that McGahn has not said anything to materially implicate Trump."

How does anyone know what was said? Mueller is tight as a drum...no leaking...any definitive conclusion that is drawn is nothing more than a guess. I have also come to the conclusion that Ghouliani does not chat with Mueller and probably makes up his commentaries completely; no shred of truth. This investigation is amazingly tight lipped ( and that's a good thing!)

by Anonymousreply 57August 20, 2018 8:40 PM

i suspect he and his lawyers told trump that he did not tell mueller anything that would incriminate trump.

what he actually told mueller, only he and mueller know....but 30 hrs...probably a lot.

better to placate the dumbass than get him in a lather.

by Anonymousreply 58August 21, 2018 5:14 AM

mcgahn is probably evil slime, (why else would he be there) but he's not stupid and probably doesn't want to get thrown under the bus and go to jail and/or lose his meal ticket law license.

by Anonymousreply 59August 21, 2018 5:16 AM

How about not reporting this stuff so he can continue working with Mueller. Jeeze.

by Anonymousreply 60August 21, 2018 5:18 AM

The game of hot-potato has begun.

by Anonymousreply 61August 21, 2018 5:20 AM

Elliot Williams is a former Deputy Asst. Attorney General for Legislative Affairs at the DOJ.

[quote] McGahn has not said anything to materially implicate Trump.

Maybe yes, and maybe no. No one will really know until Mueller issues his report or indicts people. There have been so many lies, falsehoods, and half-truths thrown out by Trump and those around him all McGhan had to do was tell the truth and it could implicate Cheatolini.

by Anonymousreply 62August 21, 2018 11:10 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!