Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Michelle Wolf and Joel McHale's Talk Shows Canceled at Netflix

That was fast.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47August 22, 2018 3:10 AM

Not surprising.

by Anonymousreply 1August 18, 2018 12:53 AM

Good. Now Michelle Wolf can go back to whatever hole she crawled out of. Would it kill her to brush that hair? Maybe a little lipstick. Christ!

by Anonymousreply 2August 18, 2018 12:54 AM

In other news Michelle Wolf and Joel McHale had talk shows on Netflix? Who knew?

by Anonymousreply 3August 18, 2018 1:02 AM

Sarah is having a good night.

by Anonymousreply 4August 18, 2018 1:06 AM

Oh they were pushing Michele Wolf's show like crazy after the correspondents dinner. There were ads for it everywhere. People just didn't give a shit.

by Anonymousreply 5August 18, 2018 1:06 AM

Don't know much about her except for the Correspondence Dinner. Joel McHale, however, is a smug, self important couch again who thinks he' s God' s gift to..... Just about everyone. He's insufferable

by Anonymousreply 6August 18, 2018 1:10 AM

r5 is correct. Joel got nothing in the way of promotion but they pushed Michelle HARD. Her "bon mots" would even be sent to some of the news sites such as Mediate. I hadn't noticed she had disappeared there recently.

Incredible she could make Chelsea Handler look talented in comparison.

by Anonymousreply 7August 18, 2018 1:15 AM

I watched Michelle Wolf's show and tried to give it a chance, but it just wasn't that good. The format was erratic and there were some funny bits but it wasn't consistently good. And I'm glad I never have to see DJ Jerzey again and his stupid salaams or whatever the fuck. "And now DJ Jersey!" who seemed to do mostly nothing except laugh at her jokes even when they were terrible. So random.

Joel McHale was actually pretty funny on Talk Soup, but I haven't seen his stuff since then.

by Anonymousreply 8August 18, 2018 1:15 AM

I did really like the set design she had, though. There was a trellis or something behind her that was pretty cool.

by Anonymousreply 9August 18, 2018 1:16 AM

Netflix really needs to stop greenlighting everything pitched to them. Both shows were terrible ideas on paper and they still went ahead with them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10August 18, 2018 1:18 AM

r6 Joel McHale was a boring performer on "Almost Live!" I'm not surprised his mediocrity led him to a larger television audience for awhile.

by Anonymousreply 11August 18, 2018 1:22 AM

I remember when Craig Ferguson called Joel McHale out on his show. A woman in the audience asked a question and McHale made a snide comment about the jacket she was wearing.

Ferguson got mad and said something like "what happened to you? You used to be the man, now you are like, "Call my publicist."

by Anonymousreply 12August 18, 2018 1:31 AM

Joel McHale played a stud character on Community. Only in show biz, folks!

by Anonymousreply 13August 18, 2018 1:32 AM

On Community, how did they explain the fact that the characters were in community college for years? (I mean even if you go part time you'd still run out of courses needed eventually.

by Anonymousreply 14August 18, 2018 1:35 AM

The Community adult students were only part-time, like only one or two classes per semester. That's why they had a study group for the one class that they would select to take together.

by Anonymousreply 15August 18, 2018 1:39 AM

Loved The Soup but tried to watch Joel McHale show and sadly it just wasn't funny, even though the format was almost identical. I think they had different writers that just weren't as good.

by Anonymousreply 16August 18, 2018 1:46 AM

[quote] Joel McHale played a stud character on Community.

That show unfolded in ways he didn't expect. He became a supporting player on his own show. Joel, the blonde, and Chevy were shunted aside and the others ran away with the series. Particularly Allison as Annie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17August 18, 2018 1:49 AM

I liked her at the Correspondents' Dinner, but Michelle Wolf was awful on her own show.

I have never seen anyone so obviously read cue-cards during a monologue. Even on SNL.

by Anonymousreply 18August 18, 2018 1:59 AM

Where the fuck did that pic come from R17?

by Anonymousreply 19August 18, 2018 1:59 AM

r18 I liked some of her vignettes but overall it seemed like a less smart and funny version of Samantha Bee's show.

by Anonymousreply 20August 18, 2018 2:14 AM

Wolf's show was a frenetic funhouse for me. I love that she deepened her voice for the skits. Some of her throw-a-way lines wander into goofy places.

by Anonymousreply 21August 18, 2018 2:27 AM

I thought her stand-up at the beginning was funny. The rest of the show was mediocre at best.

by Anonymousreply 22August 18, 2018 2:27 AM

While her show was lacking, the right also did a masterful job of slurring Wolf after her correspondents dinner speech. My very liberal, Trump-hating family members were all going on about how disgusting and vulgar she was, even though she wasn’t at all. They hadn’t even seen the speech.

by Anonymousreply 23August 18, 2018 2:37 AM

r17, Alison and Gillian did several sets along these lines for GQ

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24August 18, 2018 2:50 AM

Her voice is worse than Roseanne Barr's.

by Anonymousreply 25August 18, 2018 3:01 AM

I tried to watch Michelle's show but she seemed ill at ease I meant to give it another chance but never did. I loved Talk Soup but I stuck with an inferior version of it and will miss it. The six bingeable episodes were a bad idea....

by Anonymousreply 26August 18, 2018 3:05 AM

Liked talk soup. Greg Kinnear and Hal Sparks were funny. Joel McHale was not. Just never got him. As another poster mentioned, he does come ofc as smug and thinks his shite doesn't stink.

by Anonymousreply 27August 18, 2018 3:34 AM

I was gonna say 'and they pushed Wolf hard too' but others got me covered. Seems a common view.

There was some good content in her show but she was nearly insufferable (with the rare bright moments) to hear and spend my time on, and the overall messaging was, I dunno, boring?

by Anonymousreply 28August 18, 2018 4:10 AM

Loved Talk Soup, loved the Joel McHale show slightly less. But who else is skewering all of the awful bullshit on tv with the veracity of McHale though? It serves kind of an important purpose.

by Anonymousreply 29August 18, 2018 4:51 AM

I liked the MeowMeowBeenz episode the best.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30August 18, 2018 5:02 AM

[quote] Her show aired weekly and lasted ten episodes, the last one airing July 29th. Wolf has yet to make a public statement on her show’s cancellation.

Did ANYONE notice new episodes stopped appearing?

by Anonymousreply 31August 18, 2018 5:13 AM

It's a little weird to put a talk show on streaming. Chelsea Handler already failed, despite being successful on E for years. She got rid of her comedian panel, which was a mistake - but it's weird to have a streaming show on Netflix. Nobody is used to watching shows on Netflix "on time or even a few days later like a DVR. People go to Netflix to binge or find series' and specials they missed, not to be a secondary DVR. ... well at least I don't.

I didn't think Wolf was funny or entertaining at all (watched two episodes) and McHale was funny on E but I didn't even get a chance to see him on Netflix yet.

by Anonymousreply 32August 18, 2018 5:22 AM

I think she COULD be funny. The fact that nobody here on Progressive Central thinks she is is kinda damming though

by Anonymousreply 33August 18, 2018 6:05 AM

Womp womp. Payback is a bitch.

by Anonymousreply 34August 18, 2018 4:16 PM

I wish I could explain to you all just how deeply I want Joel McHale up in my guts. He is one hot daddy!!! Damn.

by Anonymousreply 35August 18, 2018 4:24 PM

r28 it's the smugness she had about certain things. Like, I agree with her viewpoint on some stuff but she went way into SJW territory on other things and was more condescending than funny in places.

by Anonymousreply 36August 19, 2018 3:34 AM

Her voice was hell on earth, so irritating

by Anonymousreply 37August 19, 2018 3:44 AM

I ;oved Joel's Soup the Netflix version wasn't so great but it was better than nothing. I will miss it...

by Anonymousreply 38August 19, 2018 10:01 AM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 39August 22, 2018 1:12 AM

Michelle’s voice is like nails on a chalkboard but she’s definitely funny. Some of the produced segments were hilarious.

She’s very smart and funny, and she’s pretty enough to be in front of the camera, but then that voice ....

by Anonymousreply 40August 22, 2018 1:24 AM

She might do well in a sitcom, like The Nanny.

by Anonymousreply 41August 22, 2018 1:26 AM

Let's hope my future boyfriend Hassan Minhaj has better luck

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42August 22, 2018 2:03 AM

r23 Fake Democrat Ally, trying to persuade us that all liberals are shit again.

NOPE. TRUMP's SHIT and YOU'RE TRANSPARENT.

by Anonymousreply 43August 22, 2018 2:18 AM

r36.

Because life without social justice is so much better. Trump-licking shitstain hypocrite. I hope you get robbed/raped/murdered then keep your mouth shut because you're against social justice.

by Anonymousreply 44August 22, 2018 2:28 AM

Wolf is hilarious and Netflix didn't give either show time to grow/ be seen.

by Anonymousreply 45August 22, 2018 2:29 AM

[quote] Wolf is hilarious and Netflix didn't give either show time to grow/ be seen.

It's been on since February. It's now August. How much time would you like them to give it? It's not 1952.

by Anonymousreply 46August 22, 2018 3:01 AM

[R23] Fake Democrat Ally, trying to persuade us that all liberals are shit again.

Yes that's the job of r43.

by Anonymousreply 47August 22, 2018 3:10 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!