Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Renee Zellweger, 49, is returning to TV to star in Netflix's new original series What/If

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120June 11, 2019 9:22 AM

I like her. I hope the show is a success. She has a great body and the new face turned out quite well.

by Anonymousreply 1August 17, 2018 11:48 PM

Did she have her face redone or did it just "settle"? She looks more like her old self (which is better than that time when her face was taken over by a stranger).

by Anonymousreply 2August 17, 2018 11:59 PM

r2 The new face looks a lot like the old face, which is what you would expect from excellent plastic surgery. After it "settles" of course.

by Anonymousreply 3August 18, 2018 12:05 AM

Will Harvey guest star?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4August 18, 2018 12:18 AM

How long has it taken for it to settle? 10 years?

by Anonymousreply 5August 18, 2018 12:33 AM

She looked like Linda Evans' work for awhile there...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6August 18, 2018 1:05 AM

r1, I like her too.

by Anonymousreply 7August 18, 2018 3:54 AM

I thought the deal was- we give her an Oscar, she goes away. Was there a limit on that contract?

by Anonymousreply 8August 18, 2018 3:56 AM

She's welcome back. I like her too.

by Anonymousreply 9August 18, 2018 3:59 AM

Love her, but this show sounds exhausting.

by Anonymousreply 10August 18, 2018 4:53 AM

I like Renee.

by Anonymousreply 11November 14, 2018 5:06 PM

Will Kenny Chesney be performing the theme song?

by Anonymousreply 12November 15, 2018 3:37 AM

Sounds like the plot of Wild Tales

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13November 15, 2018 4:07 AM

Which face will be starring in What/If? Or will it be New Face/Old Face?

by Anonymousreply 14November 15, 2018 4:09 AM

Renee is 49? Where does the time go...

Premise sounds promising.

by Anonymousreply 15November 15, 2018 4:21 AM

Wasn't there a movie released not too long ago with the same title?

by Anonymousreply 16November 15, 2018 4:23 AM

This date announcement teaser looks like a perfume commercial. And everyone is distractingly pretty. Also, it has two guys kissing and they're the only ones who kiss. Progress!

Premieres May 24.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17April 23, 2019 2:48 PM

Having been married ever so briefly, to Kenny Chesney, i find it reasonable to think she reads the wisdom here at DL. Pay attention, Renee: 1. This new surgeon? A KEEPER. Fantastic diminution of the chipmunk cheeks and i believe, chin implant, no? 2. Pluck the eyebrows Renee. Always. That masculine peasant look is CONSTANTLY with you. 3. You appear to have tamed the anorexia, RW. Good job!!!

by Anonymousreply 18April 23, 2019 2:55 PM

I don't know if her babydoll voice quite fits a character who appears to be the 21st century Alexis Carrington Colby.

That said, I'm totally in.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19April 23, 2019 3:13 PM

Bitch looks GOOD.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20April 23, 2019 3:29 PM

Oh, and that still is extremely zoomable, so you can study her face in closeup if you're so inclined, r18 et al.

by Anonymousreply 21April 23, 2019 3:31 PM

Her skin looks good, but the face looks more like she asked her surgeon to make her look more like Nicole Kidman.

It's not a bad look, and she's certainly more recognizable as herself, but that's still pretty far from where she started.

by Anonymousreply 22April 23, 2019 3:45 PM

Is that a wig or her real hair at r20? I go back and forth between the two.

Also, there's a round blotchy thing on her forehead where her hairline starts. Like someone wanted to do something in Photoshop but failed miserably. Perhaps they wanted to insert a couple of roots to mask the wigginess?

by Anonymousreply 23April 23, 2019 3:52 PM

[quote] The social thriller explores the ripple effects of what happens when acceptable people start doing unacceptable things...In the 10-episode first season Renee stars as Anne, a shrewd and mercurial San Francisco venture capitalist.

Will Anne start pooping on the streets?

by Anonymousreply 24April 23, 2019 3:57 PM

Will we even be able to recognize her?

by Anonymousreply 25April 23, 2019 4:05 PM

Her arms and legs always look ropey. It makes her look anorexic even when she's not.

The plastic surgery? Close-up (thank you R20!) the mouth looks misshapen, weird. She had her nose done and i am not sure how they achieved such a dramatic change in the shape of her face....

by Anonymousreply 26April 25, 2019 5:57 PM

She could never really act - all that twitchiness and the eating disorder/sucked on a lemon look didn't help.

What was that all about, anyways?

by Anonymousreply 27April 25, 2019 6:08 PM

Could her character be any more of a tired trope?

"a shrewd and mercurial San Francisco venture capitalist"

by Anonymousreply 28April 25, 2019 6:12 PM

She must have turned down "Bridget Jones' Menopause"

by Anonymousreply 29April 25, 2019 6:14 PM

How many shows with leads who are shrewd and mercurial SF venture capitalist do we have, though?

by Anonymousreply 30April 25, 2019 6:15 PM

Tracey Ullman's Renee is hilarious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31April 25, 2019 6:19 PM

r31 I remember watching that when it came out. Tracey's an actual genius.

by Anonymousreply 32April 25, 2019 6:24 PM

She had a major drinking problem, right? I guess after making the deal with Weinstein, anyone would start drinking.

by Anonymousreply 33April 25, 2019 6:26 PM

Holy shit, R18 you aren't kidding about the eyebrows!! Zoom in on R6. I think I'll give this a pass, the Harvey shit is pretty hard to stomach with her.

by Anonymousreply 34April 25, 2019 7:15 PM

She gives me Ellen Pompeo vibes. Ever since Greys Anatomy hit our screens I have thought they could play sisters. Same look and voice.

by Anonymousreply 35April 25, 2019 7:18 PM

I agree R35, and they both get on my nerves.

by Anonymousreply 36April 25, 2019 7:22 PM

She had an amazing run for a few years with Nurse Betty (GG win), Bridget Jones (GG, Oscar, Bafta noms), Chicago (GG win, Oscar nom), Cold Mountain (GG and Oscar win) then her career went to shite.

by Anonymousreply 37April 25, 2019 9:38 PM

A bit like Jennifer Lawrence, no?

by Anonymousreply 38April 25, 2019 9:38 PM

r37 You forgot Jerry McGuire

by Anonymousreply 39April 26, 2019 2:57 AM

@R23 - Her natural hair has been 'enhanced' for the series.

She's pushing 50 years' old. Therefore, she's likely is in full blown / or approaching full-blown menopause. Once a woman enters into this stage of their life, their hair thins due to their body's vastly diminished 'iron' stores.

Here's a 20-something Renee:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40April 26, 2019 3:16 AM

OP is an anti-Dreamer troll.

FUCK YOU!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41May 4, 2019 5:51 PM

r41 I'm not the OP but what do Dreamers have to do with this show? Lots of deplorables create unrelated threads on this site, it's just the way it is.

by Anonymousreply 42May 4, 2019 5:54 PM

Actually, wrong troll spank.

It wasn't this OP.

Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 43May 4, 2019 5:55 PM

All the connections to last year's threads were severed in February's annual purge, so you'd have no way of knowing who this OP is today anyway. I still think it's weird to boycott entertainment threads because of OP's one particular policy viewpoint, though.

by Anonymousreply 44May 4, 2019 5:59 PM

In these difficult times, an inspirational message from the always "very energetic" Renee Zellweger.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45May 4, 2019 6:13 PM

Trailer. Big week for Renée.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46May 13, 2019 5:15 PM

Who is this gorgeous guy? Is he the one Benoist grew tired of? Can I have/rent him, please?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47May 13, 2019 5:32 PM

I really like her. The show doesn’t look good based on sneak peeks. Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 48May 17, 2019 2:31 PM

Yeah, the teaser was intriguing but that trailer... oof. I'll still watch it, it might be so bad it's good.

by Anonymousreply 49May 17, 2019 2:40 PM

Oh, but this is unwatchable; barely made it through the first episode. It's cheap and hastily assembled. The budget has clearly been blown on Zellweger, her wardrobe, hair, and lotions. Plus her lair, which I assume she'll remain in for the entire season. And she's whispering her way through the dialogue.

She probably thought the paycheck would be nice and the bad reception wouldn't hurt her as she has that Judy biopic coming out.

by Anonymousreply 50May 24, 2019 4:34 PM

Is there something for Glenn?

by Anonymousreply 51May 24, 2019 4:38 PM

I don't care if the story isn't great, they've got the boys showing a lot of skin. Blake Jenner is so yummy. Then the ginger guy with the gay couple! Perfect!

by Anonymousreply 52May 24, 2019 4:41 PM

No Emmy for Renee then!

by Anonymousreply 53May 24, 2019 5:01 PM

r53. That ... that would be FRAUD!

by Anonymousreply 54May 24, 2019 5:27 PM

Renee is basically playing second rated AHS's Fiona Goode

by Anonymousreply 55May 24, 2019 6:59 PM

Face/Off?

by Anonymousreply 56May 24, 2019 7:06 PM

Another Harvey's ho? No thank you anymore, I've had sufficient.

by Anonymousreply 57May 24, 2019 7:13 PM

I can't decide if this is trashy fun, or just pure trash.

by Anonymousreply 58May 25, 2019 1:31 AM

I'm leaning pure trash. The premiere was such a slog, I had to FF most of the inane dialogue. Prestige dramas have spoiled me so much, there's no way I can listen to generic catalogue lines ever again. I'm sure people who are into soaps wouldn't mind that, though.

Can't even bring myself to watch it for the cute gay couple, it's that bad.

by Anonymousreply 59May 25, 2019 1:41 AM

@R37 - Those noms/wins occurred during RZ's "Harvey Years."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60May 25, 2019 1:51 AM

[quote]I'm sure people who are into soaps wouldn't mind that, though.

I'm into soaps, but it's still not completely clicking. For one reason, Renee is badly miscast here.

Also, Dave Annable is a year younger than I am but doesn't look it.

by Anonymousreply 61May 25, 2019 2:06 AM

Yeah, Dave has aged fast. Unless you mean he looks younger than his age, in which case I disagree with you.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62May 25, 2019 2:09 AM

[quote]Yeah, Dave has aged fast. Unless you mean he looks younger than his age, in which case I disagree with you.

Nope, I'm 41, he's almost 40, and I think most people would think he's older. And not in a "I get mistaken for a 28-year-old all the time!" way.

by Anonymousreply 63May 25, 2019 2:11 AM

I mean, he was pretty gray back in the days of the Sally Field Program, but it's his skin that really ages him. I wonder if he smokes.

by Anonymousreply 64May 25, 2019 2:13 AM

Are we excited for Renee's Judy Garland biopic? Or do we think it will be a mess?

by Anonymousreply 65May 25, 2019 2:18 AM

r64 Just the sun and bad genes, probably. His hairline reveals a potential face colour, if he ever got a TCA peel to remove the stained and damaged layer. But I doubt he cares about any of that.

by Anonymousreply 66May 25, 2019 2:19 AM

She obviously blew her creative wad on Judy, which I don't think will be a mess, though I doubt it'll be a huge success either. Who even talks about it outside of DL?

by Anonymousreply 67May 25, 2019 2:21 AM

Renee will get her second Oscar for Judy.

This Netflix show is being savaged by certain humorless critics who doesn't understand good camp. By the way, did you know the first two episodes of What/If were directed by Aussie director Philip Noyce who directed the wonderfully campy erotic thriller Sliver starring Sharon Stone?

by Anonymousreply 68May 25, 2019 2:25 AM

I understand and appreciate good camp but this just ain't it. It's executed badly and flows like the most boring episode of the most generic show of the early aughts. If you can't produce a tighter premiere these days, get off the pot. Unless, of course, this was intentional and is Netflix's venture into soaps. I'm out either way.

Just to illustrate: if this were camp, the scene with Renée sitting down in her chair for the first time would have been shot and edited completely differently; the camera certainly wouldn't treat her shiny legs as an afterthought and cut them in half when she was fabulously adjusting them in the beginning. And Jenner isn't acting at all in that scene unless he's being addressed directly. Man, this gets sloppier the more I think about it.

by Anonymousreply 69May 25, 2019 10:30 AM

R20 Renee looks more like Kyra Sedgwick or Jennifer Gray (2019) than she does herself.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70May 25, 2019 10:41 AM

Renee seems super down to earth to me, and not in a "look at me, I'm down to earth!" Jennifer Lawrence way. She just seems like a genuine person, and I've always liked her for that. I'll definitely check this show out, as I'd not heard of it before. I loved her in Nurse Betty, Chicago, and as Bridget Jones. I've always felt her British accent was near-flawless. She was also in the notoriously campy, utterly insane Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation with fellow Texan McBongo, so she will eternally have street cred it my book.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71May 25, 2019 10:53 AM

Just saw the first episode and one of the first scenes seems very 80s / 90s thriller (with the woman running up to the other woman's apartment to get her husband). Especially the score.

by Anonymousreply 72May 25, 2019 3:04 PM

Supposedly, they're going for a neo-noir aesthetic, which I REALLY don't see.

by Anonymousreply 73May 25, 2019 3:05 PM

Big comeback year for Zellweger.

by Anonymousreply 74May 25, 2019 3:18 PM

r73 Neo-noir? In this show?! It's hilarious to me to think they were aiming for that.

by Anonymousreply 75May 25, 2019 4:46 PM

I mean, the lack of overlap between their intention and the eventual execution is what cracks me up, not the concept itself. I do love neo-noir.

by Anonymousreply 76May 25, 2019 4:48 PM

When was the last time you saw a headline that said "George Clooney, 58, will produce his next movie for..."

The ageism and sexism needs to stop.

by Anonymousreply 77May 25, 2019 5:15 PM

[quote]I mean, he was pretty gray back in the days of the Sally Field Program, but it's his skin that really ages him. I wonder if he smokes.

I agree, his skin makes him look old.

by Anonymousreply 78May 25, 2019 5:21 PM

The show is pretty gay and not only when it's about the gay brother. Hot guys. the tension between Anne and Lisa and them trading barbs, the melodrama. Basically every scene a Mary! moment.

by Anonymousreply 79May 25, 2019 5:27 PM

r77 To be fair, she's been who knows where for the past ten (twenty?) years and has now re-appeared all of a sudden, and on television at that. So I think her age actually is relevant in this case.

by Anonymousreply 80May 25, 2019 6:02 PM

Just finished the season and I find it highly entertaining. Though the weak link is Renee Zellwegger's face with her crooked lower lip that makes her look like a stroke victim which made me feel sorry for her and her character even when she acts all diabolical. But even with that her character is very entertaining and camp.

Best and hottest gay threesome in a long time. Great and very mature gay character development and plot.

by Anonymousreply 81May 26, 2019 10:15 AM

[quote]Best and hottest gay threesome in a long time. Great and very mature gay character development and plot.

Eurgh, FINE. I guess I'll have to give it another go.

by Anonymousreply 82May 26, 2019 10:28 AM

Forget Zellweger's obvious facelift and eye work, something really weird has happened to her mouth. Her upper lip has disappeared and appears paralyzed with strange scars around it.

by Anonymousreply 83May 26, 2019 11:23 AM

Returning to TV? Was she on it before?

by Anonymousreply 84May 26, 2019 11:40 AM

Has it really taken 84 replies for someone to notice that mistake in the title? You bitches are slipping.

by Anonymousreply 85May 26, 2019 11:44 AM

She’ll bring a fresh new face to television!

by Anonymousreply 86May 26, 2019 12:07 PM

Juan Castano (Marcos) is also in the upcoming Netflix show "Tales of the City".

by Anonymousreply 87May 26, 2019 8:21 PM

[quote]something really weird has happened to her mouth. Her upper lip has disappeared and appears paralyzed with strange scars around it

r83 Her fillers went out and those are probably just wrinkles. I've noticed them as well.

by Anonymousreply 88May 27, 2019 10:43 PM

The best thing you can say about this lame project is that Zellweger's one note acting perfectly matches her one dimensionsal character. She's constantly speaking Darwinian aphorisms in her fourth grade voice - really irritating.

There is a lot of nude male ass - all of it fine. The gay three-way is pretty hot - one black, one Latino and one white go-go dancer/muscle queen

I tuned in for Zellweger but stayed for the ass.

by Anonymousreply 89May 27, 2019 11:05 PM

I just finished the show and I kinda liked it. It was not perfect, by any means, but it was a fun watch. I doubt it will win any awards but it was entertaining. Then again, I like soaps, especially prime time soaps, and I'm always in if there's a gay storyline. The gay storyline was good. Also, apparently one half of the gay couple is played by an out actor (out as in bi/gay/pan/whatever), that's always a plus.

by Anonymousreply 90June 1, 2019 8:19 PM

Which half? Black or Latino?

by Anonymousreply 91June 1, 2019 8:21 PM

I gave up after episode 6.

by Anonymousreply 92June 1, 2019 8:44 PM

Enjoyed the camp, but came to really dislike the family not miscast On the show...the white girl married to handsome guy. She did not come across as smart a all, was annoying to watch...she was bush league, how can I believe her character was brilliant?

by Anonymousreply 93June 6, 2019 2:43 AM

Meant only miscast, lead girls...rest was great casting. The black couple story and arc good, but lost momentum.

by Anonymousreply 94June 6, 2019 2:45 AM

Would live to see Rebecca Demornay come back and do villain role...she could have been good in this. I like Renee’s quirky facial movements in this character, sort of works, bit screwy, but amps the camp. Her arms are sinewy!

by Anonymousreply 95June 6, 2019 2:50 AM

I think Jane Levy is the weakest link. She is entirely predictable.

by Anonymousreply 96June 6, 2019 3:05 AM

I think he’s wearing bronzer and didn’t blend it into the hairline, r66

by Anonymousreply 97June 6, 2019 3:11 AM

Couldn’t even finish the first episode. JFC. What in the living fuck?

Is Renee popping pills and drinking? Am I the only person who thinks she was wasted out of her mind while film this shit show? She can’t even walk straight in some of the scenes, and besides the annoying whisper voice, it sounds as though she is slurring her words. I am a fan of Zellwegger’s, so I’m not gunning for her.

Also, based on the premise and tech behind the company of the show’s protagonist, there would already have had been MAJOR bucks (in the millions) invested in her company for it to get as far as it did, before meeting Anne.

God, what a ridiculous series.

by Anonymousreply 98June 6, 2019 2:32 PM

r97 Oh, I see. Yeah, that does make more sense.

r98 Right there with you.

by Anonymousreply 99June 7, 2019 11:25 AM

I think Renee will bring a fresh outlook. Something new that we haven’t seen before. A different way of looking at things.

by Anonymousreply 100June 7, 2019 11:32 AM

I think she’ll surprise us!

by Anonymousreply 101June 7, 2019 2:53 PM

Oh, she surprised us, alright.

by Anonymousreply 102June 7, 2019 3:38 PM

Just what I've always wanted to spend 10 hours of my life on: a show about a mercurial venture capitalist.

by Anonymousreply 103June 7, 2019 3:41 PM

It's no Dead to Me that's for sure.

by Anonymousreply 104June 7, 2019 5:53 PM

SPOILER ALERT

I was confused when it turned out she was her mother, even more confused when it was revealed she had her when she was a teen. No way does she look that young!

by Anonymousreply 105June 7, 2019 5:54 PM

I kind of liked her in it. But her shtick got old real quick.. The real problem here is Jane Levy, who couldn't act her way out of a bag. She was truly awful.

by Anonymousreply 106June 7, 2019 6:18 PM

I started watching it and thought it was cheesy but I loved the VC business women’s absolute high glam fashion. I kid you not it wasn’t until the 8th episode that I realized it was Renee Zellwinger!

Her face and voice are so different now, she unrecognizable

by Anonymousreply 107June 7, 2019 7:52 PM

Needed more camp and less soap opera stupidness. The writers of this dreck should be tortured.

by Anonymousreply 108June 7, 2019 8:21 PM

Dave Annable looks TERRIBLE. At least ten years older than he is and borderline unattractive.

by Anonymousreply 109June 7, 2019 10:56 PM

Renee was the consummate, drunken Irish lad in this series.

I honestly do not understand why she did this. Is she broke?

by Anonymousreply 110June 7, 2019 11:02 PM

It's a good thing this will be an anthology series if it gets renewed. Creator Mike Kelley has proven he can't sustain a series. Case in point - Revenge. Great idea for a limited series but obviously the big picture was not in his head as it soon became a clusterfuck.

by Anonymousreply 111June 9, 2019 12:48 AM

I like the show, Renee is fun to watch.

by Anonymousreply 112June 9, 2019 2:35 AM

Juan Castano, the guy playing Marcos, is quite possibly the worst actor ever. And Jane Levy isn’t far behind. I’m on ep 8 and the scene where he confesses that he started the fire that killed her parents, well, I laughed.

by Anonymousreply 113June 9, 2019 7:12 AM

Jane Levy has no charisma. Blake Jenner's character would've married a blonde slutty type who'd be into anal like the girl who OD'd

by Anonymousreply 114June 9, 2019 2:37 PM

We're supposed to believe this clueless idiot is the founder of a biotech research company? She might as well sprout wings and fly around.

by Anonymousreply 115June 9, 2019 5:41 PM

Her husband’s acting is good! THey never seem to connect or come across as a real couple things me. The boyfriend of Marcos is good!

by Anonymousreply 116June 10, 2019 2:41 AM

[quote]THey never seem to connect or come across as a real couple things me

ah yes...things me too

by Anonymousreply 117June 10, 2019 2:48 AM

I gave this three episodes and bailed. It makes absolutely no sense. I was shocked when I googled reviews for it and saw how many critics loved it. The acting and writing are .beyond awful.

by Anonymousreply 118June 10, 2019 2:51 AM

The sub-plots also don't connect to the main plot...and seem pointless if not extremely odd.

It reminded me a little of "Damages" but it's a terrible version of it.

by Anonymousreply 119June 11, 2019 5:51 AM

For real [R119]. By the time the doctor subplot had reached its peak at the cabin with all the assaults and bear trap ridiculousness, I couldn't believe I was watching the same show. Even the gay brother's story line happened almost entirely in isolation from the main plot. I keep imagining all those characters having a dinner party after the end of the season and being completely astonished and perplexed by what they found each other had been up to in the last few months.

by Anonymousreply 120June 11, 2019 9:22 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!