Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

David Oyelowo: ‘The Ryan Goslings get to break earlier than black actors do’

How does it feel to watch as this younger generation of black British actors achieves Hollywood success?

Oyelowo’s reflections sound somewhat bittersweet:

“I’m really, really proud, because they are now doing that which my generation wasn’t afforded. Y’know, the Leonardo DiCaprios and the Ryan Goslings, they get to break earlier than black actors do. You sort of need to pummel and plough away for longer, as a black actor, to get a degree of fame and, more often than not, you have to play a historical figure somewhere; basically a role that a white actor couldn’t play. But John [Boyega] is in his early 20s with Star Wars, Daniel is in his 20s with Get Out, and now Black Panther. Getting these opportunities younger means they have a greater length of time to build a body of significant work. If you look at myself, Idris [Elba], Chiwetel [Ejiofor], it’s happened for us a bit later.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66October 23, 2018 12:24 PM

This guy was the star of that caper movie with Charlize T. It flopped.

by Anonymousreply 1August 17, 2018 7:58 PM

This whiner is best friend of Weinstein's beard-wife. He's enjoyed breaks in the past from that association.

by Anonymousreply 2August 17, 2018 7:59 PM

Leo and Gosling broke early because they were CHILD ACTORS. Virtually every actor that breaks early does so because their parent sold them into show business as soon as they showed an ounce of talent.

by Anonymousreply 3August 17, 2018 8:01 PM

Weinsetin's wife a lesbian

by Anonymousreply 4August 17, 2018 8:01 PM

Golsing is overrated and boring

by Anonymousreply 5August 17, 2018 8:02 PM

This asswipe is such an offensive gasbag. Most of Hollywood thinks he’s insufferable that’s why his career never took off. Truth.

by Anonymousreply 6August 17, 2018 8:40 PM

He looks fat, and his acting is very obvious.

by Anonymousreply 7August 17, 2018 8:46 PM

Saw him interviewed: pretentious, narcissistic, like most actors, but couldn't hide it, and agree with R6, insufferable, gasbag.

All of which would usually make him a star so maybe he's right.

by Anonymousreply 8August 17, 2018 8:51 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9August 17, 2018 8:52 PM

Maybe it has nothing to do with skin color but with star quality, which Miss Oyelowo does not really have.

by Anonymousreply 10August 17, 2018 8:53 PM

R10 Gosling had star quality?

by Anonymousreply 11August 17, 2018 8:54 PM

Be thankful you have a fucking job.

by Anonymousreply 12August 17, 2018 8:56 PM

David should thank his lucky stars he beat out many African-American actors for the sole fact that he was a British actor with more connections.

by Anonymousreply 13August 17, 2018 8:58 PM

The early cocksucker gets the role.

by Anonymousreply 14August 17, 2018 9:03 PM

As a Black Brit, I can't stand this man. He , on one hand sucks up to whites and then when he doesn't get his own way, he starts with the "I started at the bottom flex". He is one of those ( Black Jesus , forgive me) Nigerians that came to Britain, forgot that many of his people ran away and left their kids to be brought up by white people without the authorities knowing about it and all because they wouldn't find the tools to fight racism, in situ. His type HATED/HATE the West Indians, specifically The Jamaicans without whom NOTHING would be going on for any non white in Britain. Bitch arsed bitch.

It makes me chuckle now that many of them had to relegate themselves to Grime Music, because this younger generation realises that posing themselves as "Perfect Blacks" to racists never and won't get them anywhere without inflicting psychic wounds and mental illness , especially if they are dunce. You can only fool so many people with "perfect English" one fuck off Plasma T.v in the yard and no victuals or beds for the kids, but shiny shiny for church on Sunday. Fela Kuti sung about this type. RIP

There is a reason The Ancestors came for this Bitch's looks. Fucking walking around looking like Gary Coleman without the Chutzpah. That's a bad thing when one's cheekbones could previously cut cheese. And this man has to realise that any charisma that he has , has been diluted in positioning himself as the "Perfect Black". His kids are good looking, though. Maybe they'll grow up and cuss out his bumbo for his whining /lying ways. And how did anybody look at him and think he had the charisma to play Martin Luther King? This man is so into himself and nobody else, that he can't realise how good he's had it , especially as he doesn't have "it".

by Anonymousreply 15August 17, 2018 9:10 PM

You may know David Oyelowo by his regal bearing: as Henry VI in the RSC’s 2001 production of Shakespeare’s trilogy; as Martin Luther King Jr in Selma; as Bechuanaland prince Seretse Khama in A United Kingdom, and even as himself, [bold]scion of the Oyelowos, a royal family in western Nigeria.[/bold]

by Anonymousreply 16August 17, 2018 9:15 PM

I don’t know her

by Anonymousreply 17August 17, 2018 9:31 PM

His wife Jessica is pretty

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18August 17, 2018 9:53 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19August 17, 2018 9:53 PM

She's white. Go figure.

by Anonymousreply 20August 17, 2018 9:55 PM

No surprise she's white. Most of the blacks in Hollywood crying racism are married to non-blacks (Jordan Peele, John Legend, Michael B. Jordan , Keegan-Michael Key, Steve McQueen, etc)

by Anonymousreply 21August 17, 2018 10:10 PM

R21 HA they sure do like white flange

by Anonymousreply 22August 17, 2018 10:19 PM

It's no surprise that she's white because he's [italic]British[/italic]. Blacks are a much smaller percentage of the overall UK population than blacks are here in the US - and the percentage of whites is higher, so it stands to reason that with a much smaller pool of available black people to date/marry, there's going to be a lot of black/white relationships there. Many of the UK's black celebrities are biracial.

(And Jordan Peele and Keegan-Michael Key are both biracial, btw.)

With all that said, though, Oyelowo is insufferable and exhausting.

by Anonymousreply 23August 17, 2018 10:24 PM

Well he's not wrong. There have been so many white actors Hollywood keeps casting in leading man roles that keep flopping over and over and over again. (Although I think the general public's interest in watching stories about white people is quickly diminishing as with myself as I've seen them in any every freaking thing imaginable so it's just boring at this point).

by Anonymousreply 24August 17, 2018 10:35 PM

Ryan is hot. He’s not.

by Anonymousreply 25August 17, 2018 10:41 PM

Ouch, r15. I have a soft spot for him because he played Danny on MI5. This is the first time I've seen him discussed here, so I'd never read anything personal about him til now.

by Anonymousreply 26August 17, 2018 10:48 PM

And he completely ignores the fact that all these black British actors who have come to Hollywood rather than fight on in the UK are reaping the benefits of a decades-long struggle for opportunity and representation fought by African-American actors - a fight the Brits had no part in. Now African-American actors have to sit by as they lose roles to them, even as the roles wouldn't exist without that ongoing struggle. I remember one of the actresses on The Good Fight saying the black Brit actors deserved these roles because they're 'better' than American black actors. It's pretty galling.

by Anonymousreply 27August 17, 2018 11:05 PM

but tell us what you really think, R15!

by Anonymousreply 28August 17, 2018 11:16 PM

R21

John Legend, Michael B. Jordan

both gay and Legend's beard is not white

by Anonymousreply 29August 18, 2018 12:12 AM

Leonardo DiCaprio is gross.

by Anonymousreply 30August 18, 2018 12:15 AM

Ryan Gosling stumbles at box office again

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31October 21, 2018 12:11 AM

Black actors...unfair....blah blah blah...excuse me while I yawn

by Anonymousreply 32October 21, 2018 12:15 AM

[quote]Now African-American actors have to sit by as they lose roles to them, even as the roles wouldn't exist without that ongoing struggle. I remember one of the actresses on The Good Fight saying the black Brit actors deserved these roles because they're 'better' than American black actors. It's pretty galling.

What has been the reaction from African-American actors to Black Brit actors taking their roles?

by Anonymousreply 33October 21, 2018 12:22 AM

The linked article gives some insight, R33. It seems like a fair number are unhappy with the situation but aren't comfortable with being too vocal about it...Samuel R. Jackson being an exception.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34October 21, 2018 12:27 AM

R33 Please go Google Samuel L. Jackson. He doesn't like it and with good reason. Black british actors have nothing at all to do with african american stories. Yet they're the ones playing blacks in stories that are about african americans.

More and more african american actors are being more vocal about to. Rightfully so. I'd be pissed as well.

by Anonymousreply 35October 21, 2018 12:28 AM

^^Samuel L. Jackson, I mean.

by Anonymousreply 36October 21, 2018 12:28 AM

[quote] ‘The Ryan Goslings get to break earlier than black actors do’

Well yeah, obviously. The money people generally back what they think is going to make them the most money.

by Anonymousreply 37October 21, 2018 12:31 AM

Why don't they just stay in the UK and make it work over there? I don't get it. Them coming over here and taking from African American actors is going to create a lot of resentment sooner or later.

by Anonymousreply 38October 21, 2018 12:31 AM

Haven't liked this guy since I heard him promoting his MLK film and saying how God told him he was meant to play MLK (he's a religious Christian). For real (I actually heard this on NPR). So I'l be happy when the "Why did David Oyelowo's career go down the ........" thread is posted.

by Anonymousreply 39October 21, 2018 12:32 AM

R37 Black Panther, huge success at the box office. Check it out.

by Anonymousreply 40October 21, 2018 12:33 AM

[quote]What has been the reaction from African-American actors to Black Brit actors taking their roles?

Other than the already-mentioned Sam L Jackson, Andre Holland is the only other well-known AA actor who has talked about this publicly.

by Anonymousreply 41October 21, 2018 12:36 AM

John Boyega was mad in his reaction when Samuel L. Jackson called black Brits out for taking roles from black American actors. I think jackson hit a nerve, but he was right.

by Anonymousreply 42October 21, 2018 12:38 AM

I like him

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43October 21, 2018 12:44 AM

It was also interesting that "How To Get Away With Murder" cast a British Black actor in an American role (eg. Alfred Enoch).

Enoch is the son of veteran British actor William Russell (the first male companion on 'Doctor Who' in the 1960's).

He's a decent actor and was nominated for some NAACP awards, but it's interesting that the producers of the show went with a Brit instead of an American.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44October 21, 2018 12:49 AM

Hollywood keeps shooting they're own self in the foot with some of the choices they make. They need to employ more americans in their productions.

Definitely not a Trump supporter, but I definitely understand what some are talking about when they say America first. It's maddening to be pushed aside for foreigners in you're own country.

It's like what about me? Especially when you're qualified and talented. I absolutely get it.

by Anonymousreply 45October 21, 2018 12:54 AM

David Oingoboingo

by Anonymousreply 46October 21, 2018 12:57 AM

Down with Whitey!

by Anonymousreply 47October 21, 2018 1:34 AM

[quote]Why don't they just stay in the UK and make it work over there?

Well, for one, it pays more here and always will even though they generally get paid less than American would, which is part of their appeal for Hollywood. Secondly, why do the painful and frustrating work of making change happen when they can just piggyback on the gains African-American actors have won for themselves? No matter what they do, non-whites (not just blacks) only make up about 12% of the UK's population - it's still an overwhelmingly white place. If anything, they're over-represented in the media there. So they won't have the kind of representation American blacks do anyway. People like David Oyelowo want to apply American-sized statistics to a much smaller country, and it doesn't work.

But our homegrown actors who are part of a heritage of fighting the battle to participate, be included fairly and tell stories that reflect their American experiences are suffering for the Brits' success, and that sucks. It's also not very endearing for the black British actors to come at this with arrogance, the way David Harewood and the actress from The Good Fight (can't remember her name) have.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48October 21, 2018 4:05 AM

Meanwhile, gay actors of whichever race don't break at all.

by Anonymousreply 49October 21, 2018 4:30 AM

W+W r49

by Anonymousreply 50October 21, 2018 4:41 AM

Oyelowo is one of those respected actors for whom I’ll never understand the appeal. He’s been either unremarkable in decent movies or flat out terrible, like in “Gringo.”

I propose a compromise. More black actors should get breaks. Fewer David Oyelowos should.

by Anonymousreply 51October 21, 2018 4:43 AM

Oyelowo has one of those faces. One of those "I'm better than you" snooty faces. Even in interviews, he is unlikable.

by Anonymousreply 52October 21, 2018 4:46 AM

R40, Yeah, no shit. I didn't say black actors and films can't be successful.

by Anonymousreply 53October 21, 2018 4:30 PM

You kinda did.

by Anonymousreply 54October 21, 2018 4:37 PM

It’s funny R44

I recently found out that Alred Enoch is William (Russell Enoch) Russell’s son. It was quite a shock as Ian Chesterton is about as white as it gets.

Genetics are interesting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55October 21, 2018 5:01 PM

David Oyelowo pings like crazy to me.

by Anonymousreply 56October 21, 2018 9:30 PM

R54, I really didn't. I said the money people back what they THINK is going to make them the most money. Right now that's obviously white men like Ryan Gosling. Black Panther, awesome and successful as it was, is still just one movie. If there's a string of huge $$$ films like it, then we'll see the money and opportunities shift for real.

Money eventually follows success and in this case, the smart money bet on Black Panther. However, I don't think one big hit is enough to change minds so quickly.

by Anonymousreply 57October 22, 2018 3:36 AM

[quote] No surprise she's white. Most of the blacks in Hollywood crying racism are married to non-blacks (Jordan Peele, John Legend, Michael B. Jordan , Keegan-Michael Key, Steve McQueen, etc)

Marrying interracially does not insulate you from racism. In fact, you may be subjected to it in more ways if you are married to someone of another race. The "blacks in Hollywood crying racism" who are married to non-blacks likely have very legitimate complaints.

by Anonymousreply 58October 22, 2018 4:08 AM

[quote] [R10] Gosling had star quality?

I saw him on Graham Norton and he appeared as if he'd been tranquilized. He was sitting next to Gaga -- working her subdued, pretentious "serious actress" persona -- and his blankness made her seem like Liza on amphetamines.

by Anonymousreply 59October 22, 2018 4:12 AM

Several prominent African American directors also bought into the whole British actors are the best because they are so well trained. Spike Lee even made some ridiculous comment that all Black British actors in Hollywood are classically trained while African American actors get their starts in hip hop videos. Imagine if a white director said something so ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 60October 22, 2018 4:16 AM

Ryan is blacker than Elizabeth Warren is Native American.

"Ryan’s five times paternal great-grandfather, James-Jacques Robinson/Robertson, was described as “Negro” (black) in contemporaneous records, and may have been from the United States. He married Ryan’s five times great-grandmother, Marie Trottier, who was French-Canadian. This likely makes Ryan of approximately 1/128th African-American ancestry."

by Anonymousreply 61October 22, 2018 4:36 AM

He pings, like Cory Booker pings. We found out today that Booker sexually assaulted a guy not that long ago. This guy pings from Mars too

by Anonymousreply 62October 22, 2018 4:47 AM

Cute attempt r62 - but "we" did not find out anything you failing shit stirrer. DL is many things, but it is nit filled with single-minded deplorables circa 2014.

by Anonymousreply 63October 23, 2018 11:59 AM

[quote]No matter what they do, non-whites (not just blacks) only make up about 12% of the UK's population

If you watch any of the BBC shows, you would think it was 50%.

by Anonymousreply 64October 23, 2018 12:08 PM

I don't see it as as a black/white thing. It see it as a British/American thing.

In Britain, a lot of actors rise up through theater to perfect their craft and then make the move to film/TV (while still doing theater on the side). It's why they tend to be better actors than Americans.

In America, on the other hand, actors go straight into film/TV or start off as singers/models a la Mark Wahlberg.

And, yes, Gosling and DiCaprio were child stars. Of course they broke through soon. But how many kids who went to the same auditions as them back then failed to get in and they were just as white as Gosling and DiCaprio?

Oyelowo works constantly and often in prestige projects. Why the fuck is he complaining?

R64 Blacks only make up 13% of the population of the U.S. so it's basically the same percentage as that of the U.K. But, yes, going by what you see in the media, you'd assume it was closer to 50% in both countries.

by Anonymousreply 65October 23, 2018 12:20 PM

R65 the black population of the US is the same proportionately as the entire POC population of the U.K.

Black people make up something like 5% of the U.K., not 12%.

by Anonymousreply 66October 23, 2018 12:24 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!