Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Lara Trump’s math skills

On the phone call that Omarosa taped, it’s clear that Lara needed a calculator to multiply 12 times $15,000 to come up with a $180,000 a year salary.

It would seem like any person with a high school diploma could do that math in her head. Is Lara really that stupid or is that calculation harder than I think?

by Anonymousreply 33August 19, 2018 5:28 PM

When I heard it I thought Laura was pretending to calculate it. Her end of the conversation seemed very scripted (not that Omarosa's wasn't). It was like Trump telling Omarosa he didn't know in advance she was being fired. It has that same phony ring to it.

by Anonymousreply 1August 16, 2018 10:35 PM

Oh, honey -- I just retired from working with two millennial (early 30s) math majors who couldn't do any math in their heads.

As a 60-year-old statistical analyst working with young men writing code to manipulate databases, I was really curious as to why my young co-workers always carried hand calculators (!) with them when they had at their fingertips all the latest technology. I found out when one of them had to write a formula in Excel to check if two short columns of numbers had equal sums. Standing behind his chair, I just ran my eyes down the right-side digits in the columns and realized they added to the same number, so I knew chances were good that the sums were the same. He was still writing the formula when I told him the sums were identical. And of course, I was correct.

Even math majors have never been forced to do math in their heads, OP. So don't expect much from poor Lara, who undoubtedly was not a math major.

by Anonymousreply 2August 16, 2018 11:07 PM

They just sound not very bright, then, R2. I'm 30 (and not a former math major by any means) and I do arithmetic such as that addressed in the OP all the time.

Not a generational thing. DL's obsession with this is analogous to Trump supporters making everything about race and the European right making everything about Muslim immigrants.

by Anonymousreply 3August 16, 2018 11:27 PM

my school only made us learn the times table up to 10. (and eleven is easy)

I'm sort of impaired on the twelves since I never memorized them in fourth grade. I always have to stop and think. (do kids even memorize them anymore?)

by Anonymousreply 4August 16, 2018 11:58 PM

No, and they don't learn long division. I don't know how they do synthetic division for algebra.

by Anonymousreply 5August 17, 2018 12:01 AM

well, I can't. And I'm fucking smart. So fuck you OP

by Anonymousreply 6August 17, 2018 3:01 AM

R6, here’s a hint: just multiply $30,000 by 6. You’re doubling one number and halving the other number to get easy numbers to work with.

by Anonymousreply 7August 17, 2018 3:04 AM

This woman married a man who looks like a real life version of the Penguin. She’s not bright.

by Anonymousreply 8August 17, 2018 3:06 AM

I knew someone named Lara once. Then she died.

by Anonymousreply 9August 17, 2018 3:11 AM

We always use a multiplier to create the illusions of billions.

by Anonymousreply 10August 17, 2018 3:12 AM

Nah. She's talking pretty fast and doing business. I don't it was unusual that she used a calculator rather than pause and do the math in her head. (we can't find fault in everything the Trumps do. Save if for the big stuff.)

by Anonymousreply 11August 17, 2018 3:18 AM

I'm a programmer with a degree in Statistics. I've gotten lazy and use the calculator on my p.c. to add numbers or my iPad to verify the percentage of a tip.

Most of what I do is logic type work or reading a spec and knowing what they asked for is not what they want.

by Anonymousreply 12August 17, 2018 3:21 AM

They had the numbers worked out before they spoke with Omarosa about them. She knew they were offering 15k a month and that it added up to 180k, a thousand more than she'd been making at the White House. Laura's "let me see now, how much does that add up to" was totally fake.

15k a month is their standard hush-money offer.

by Anonymousreply 13August 18, 2018 11:39 PM

And Lara Trump is shadow HR director of Trump's Evil Empire?

by Anonymousreply 14August 18, 2018 11:44 PM

No, I can't do any math in my head. I know multiplication tables up to 12x12 but that's just rote. Adding, subtracting, percentages? Forget it. Can't calculate tips. Can't remember more than three numbers in a sequence. That thing where they ask you to count down from a hundred subtracting by six, nope. I always carry a calculator.

I do other things well, just not math.

by Anonymousreply 15August 18, 2018 11:53 PM

Since cheap calculators became ubiquitous the schools just don't bother with math as they did before. Same with keyboard to penmanship and cursive writing, and spellcheck to spelling.. It leaves more time for important stuff like self-esteem and activism.

by Anonymousreply 16August 19, 2018 12:15 AM

Good job, R7. I didn't learn my 12-times very well in grade school, so I multiply by 12 like this: multiply by 10 (15 x 10 = 150), then by 2 (15 x 2 = 30), then add the 2 results together (150 + 30 = 180). But your way might be even easier.

However, I do think that whole exchange was scripted on both sides.

by Anonymousreply 17August 19, 2018 3:31 AM

How much did she offer Omarosa? Obviously not $180K.

by Anonymousreply 18August 19, 2018 9:11 AM

Oh I couldn't do that in my head. 15 times is beyond me.

by Anonymousreply 19August 19, 2018 9:42 AM

Do you have any fucking idea what I'd do for $15k/month?

by Anonymousreply 20August 19, 2018 10:45 AM

You're a whore darling.

by Anonymousreply 21August 19, 2018 11:56 AM

Lara offered Omarosa $180,000 a year. She was making $179,000 at the White House.

by Anonymousreply 22August 19, 2018 12:35 PM

There was an article I can’t find now about the significant number of ex- WH staffers who just happen to be making $15,000 a month right now with the Trump 2020 campaign. Yes, it’s hush money and they’re not likely doing anything for it. (that’s where your donations are going, Deplorables)

That said, considering it’s the standard salary they offer to keep people quiet, you’d think Lara would know what it adds up to by heart.

by Anonymousreply 23August 19, 2018 12:51 PM

The number crunching sounded fake. Faux-impromptu. She’s a sociopath just like the Trumps. Fuck her and why do all the awful republican women look like stepford wives with fake blond hair. SAD!

by Anonymousreply 24August 19, 2018 12:51 PM

The only math that stupid bitch knows for sure is

‘One day on, 6 days off’

by Anonymousreply 25August 19, 2018 2:35 PM

I have a Masters in Applied Linguistics, which isn't exactly an easy course of study. I can discuss the Great Vowel Shift and Grimm's Law all day, but have zero confidence in my math skills.

I can do math in my head and could have figured this out, but in a quick call like this just to assure accuracy, I would have used a calculator too.

People have different skill sets, OP. Can you decline nouns in German or read Old English with proper pronunciation? I can.

by Anonymousreply 26August 19, 2018 2:43 PM

Understand?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27August 19, 2018 3:09 PM

I will do basic arithmetic in a meeting and people look at me like I’m Stephen hawking.

by Anonymousreply 28August 19, 2018 3:51 PM

She's blonde.

by Anonymousreply 29August 19, 2018 4:31 PM

[quote] statistical analyst working with young men writing code to manipulate databases

Why do you write code to manipulate databases?

by Anonymousreply 30August 19, 2018 5:00 PM

R2 it’s not Laura it’s LARA.

People named Lara will Get you for that. They hate how everyone always mispronunces their name (either Laura or Laira, it’s Lahhhhra).

by Anonymousreply 31August 19, 2018 5:05 PM

She's a 5/10 married to a 1/10.

by Anonymousreply 32August 19, 2018 5:07 PM

R32 she’s hard looking for sure - and looks significantly older than 35.

by Anonymousreply 33August 19, 2018 5:28 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!