Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What Are Some Genius Solutions To Life’s Everyday Problems?

I use a Q-tip to clean dirt out of small places. Works wonders.

My Dentist Has a "Where's Waldo?" poster on his ceiling. To Keep Patients Entertained During Appointments.

Beijing Subway Allows Riders To Pay With Plastic Bottles - saves waste.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162September 6, 2018 12:14 AM

If getting lost in a hedge maze is an everyday problem in life, keep one hand always on the right (or left, but never switch!) side of the hedge walls -- you will get out eventually.

Swallowing water or any beverage five times consecutively between breaths will cure hiccups.

by Anonymousreply 1August 16, 2018 6:23 AM

R1 nice!

by Anonymousreply 2August 16, 2018 6:24 AM

Bleach cleans toilets great.

by Anonymousreply 3August 16, 2018 5:02 PM

More

by Anonymousreply 4August 17, 2018 4:20 PM

Don't shit where you eat.

by Anonymousreply 5August 17, 2018 4:27 PM

Spreading your cheeks while taking a dump helps cut down on toilet paper usage. It really works!

by Anonymousreply 6August 17, 2018 4:34 PM

You can get a good bidet on Amazon for $35.

by Anonymousreply 7August 17, 2018 5:07 PM

Pull your pillowcases off the pillows so they are inside out. Wash and dry that way. When making the bed, stick your arms inside the inside-out pillow case, grab the bottom corners of the pillow and roll the pillowcase up the pillow, kind of like a reverse condom. Works especially well on king size pillows.

by Anonymousreply 8August 17, 2018 5:14 PM

R8 great idea

by Anonymousreply 9August 17, 2018 10:33 PM

R1 I swear by that hiccup remedy, except I do seven gulps of water. You don't even have to take a breath in between.

by Anonymousreply 10August 17, 2018 11:28 PM

R10 I do 8 gulps of Water.

by Anonymousreply 11August 17, 2018 11:29 PM

BTW adding hot sauce or similar to fatty food decreases the absorption of triglycerides into your blood by up to a third.

by Anonymousreply 12August 17, 2018 11:30 PM

R12 wow!

by Anonymousreply 13August 17, 2018 11:48 PM

I don’t get the hedge comment. I’m a dummy,someone explain

by Anonymousreply 14August 17, 2018 11:53 PM

Smoke boatloads of grass and keep young smart friends around. Live in the moment!

by Anonymousreply 15August 18, 2018 12:34 AM

R15 marry me.

by Anonymousreply 16August 18, 2018 12:39 AM

R14 So if you think about any movie where there is someone running around in a maze, they usually are looking left, looking right, turning around in a circle, etc. trying to find the way out, right? Well, R1 is saying that if you keep one of your hands touching the wall as you go along, you won’t make the mistake of getting more disoriented.

by Anonymousreply 17August 18, 2018 12:42 AM

Cheers R16... I am still looking, albeit not aggressively.

by Anonymousreply 18August 18, 2018 1:08 AM

If you've got a serious chocolate craving and there's no chocolate in the house, mix a spoonful of cocoa powder, a spoonful of icing sugar, a dash of vanilla, and a splash of milk. Stir it up, then add a spoonful of peanut butter and stir until smooth. It's basically chocolate peanut butter frosting.

Adjust quantities above to taste.

by Anonymousreply 19August 18, 2018 1:47 AM

Sounds lovely R19. I'm fond of the cacao & banana faux ice cream too.

by Anonymousreply 20August 18, 2018 1:49 AM

Use Mayo instead of conditioner for silky smooth hair. Use salted grapefruit to exfoliate. Use baking soda to whiten toothies. Use lemon to lighten hair for summer. Use peanut butter and wine as face mask to tighten skin. Use black mascara to hide white strands of hair. Use money to buy love

by Anonymousreply 21August 18, 2018 1:52 AM

R21 great last tip!

To clean a blender or food processor - pour soap and water in and turn on, blend, then rinse.

by Anonymousreply 22August 18, 2018 1:58 AM

Heloise is that you?

by Anonymousreply 23August 18, 2018 2:04 AM

R8 What does this accomplish?

by Anonymousreply 24August 18, 2018 2:07 AM

Scalding hot water is a great moisturizer.

by Anonymousreply 25August 18, 2018 2:10 AM

I know what to do when my nose is blocked.

by Anonymousreply 26August 18, 2018 2:18 AM

Peroxide gets blood out of clothes, etc

by Anonymousreply 27August 19, 2018 5:50 PM

Put a bowl of water vinegar and half a lemon or lime in the microwave to clean..heat until it boils then don’t open for 20 mins..then wipe off. Mayo on hair is disgusting tho!

by Anonymousreply 28August 19, 2018 6:00 PM

If you have strange in your bed and have to fart, spread your cheeks. Wont make noise.

by Anonymousreply 29August 19, 2018 6:20 PM

Oh but just flap away for you boyfriend or husbear?

by Anonymousreply 30August 19, 2018 6:35 PM

Yes, R30, yes.

by Anonymousreply 31August 19, 2018 6:41 PM

Does the dentist change the poster often? If not, you will know Waldo’s location after a visit or two...

My dentist had the same sea-life video on loop until the day he retired.

by Anonymousreply 32August 19, 2018 6:43 PM

I’m tryig to think if I have any hacks to add, but I can’t think of any.

I have more like rules of thumb or lessons learned.

I do see a lot of people think they can paint a room or a home with no experience. It always looks terrible, and in many cases like a child painted it. And I am totally honest with people and tell them the paint job looks horrible and amateur. They get so defensive. The saddest part is that now they have to go back and fix it and do it all over again but with a pro.

So I would suggest going pro when it comes to painting.

by Anonymousreply 33August 19, 2018 6:49 PM

When taking pills do NOT throw your head back. Go the other way. Tilt your chin forward. Pills slide down. Thank me by posting hot pics. You know you want to.

by Anonymousreply 34August 19, 2018 6:54 PM

Magic erase works on nearly everything.

by Anonymousreply 35August 19, 2018 6:55 PM

Some hotel tips:

Always be super nice to the front desk staff. They can make or break you when it comes to your experience and room selection. Entry level desk agents have a lot of authority over room selection. Don’t get put into their special room for assholes.

Don’t drink from the water glasses.

Upon check-out, do a sweep of the room so you don’t leave any items behind.

Don’t overdo the early check-in. See first tip

If you plan on sleeping in, dont forget the DND sign. They will come a knocking bright an early.

Always tip the maids.

by Anonymousreply 36August 19, 2018 6:57 PM

Another hiccup cure: hold your breath and swallow three times.

by Anonymousreply 37August 19, 2018 7:06 PM

I saw the bidet online $35..anyone try it..one guy said he bus way less asswipe

by Anonymousreply 38August 19, 2018 7:41 PM

Put newly bought flour into the freezer for a couple of days. It kills potential eggs from insects.

Soak pans, bowls, dishes, and other kitchen utensils in hot water immediately after being used and the dish is done. It saves you a lot of time and results in less scrubbing.

Hang a calendar near the entrance door of your home where you write your dates, birthdays of friends and close ones, and appointments. With this as constant reminder you plan your days much better. It's about the extra effort you spend on keeping the calendar updated that keeps these dates better in your head than when you just save them in your digital device (which may get broken or stolen or just loses power and you get comepletely lost without it).

by Anonymousreply 39August 19, 2018 7:58 PM

R38. Bidets or bidet attachments are the best. Once you get one, you'll hate going to the regular loo. And yes, you need less toilet paper.

by Anonymousreply 40August 19, 2018 8:01 PM

If you need to heat two bowls at once in the microwave and it's an awkward fit, prop one of the bowls up on a mug to elevate it out of the way.

by Anonymousreply 41August 19, 2018 8:04 PM

If you're making a souffle with canned fish, you can run the fish through a meat grinder to cut down on time.

by Anonymousreply 42August 19, 2018 8:05 PM

Oh and to follow up on r40 - bidets won't clog up septic systems like wipes will, and it's a more environmentally friendly system.

by Anonymousreply 43August 19, 2018 8:05 PM

It will pay for itself by saving on tp

by Anonymousreply 44August 19, 2018 8:10 PM

Fill a spray bottle up with 70% rubbing alcohol in the kitchen to use on stainless steel, glass and other surfaces. Because it dries super fast it shines every thing up better. I use this spray bottle from Ikea for 99 cents. Lasts forever.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45August 19, 2018 8:14 PM

To add to R3, once in a while (one a year maybe), swish around the water in your toilet's tank and flush a couple of times. Maybe even pour some bleach in and let sit for an hour or two. Weird, discolored stuff builds up in those tanks and can tint the water in your toilet bowl. This stuff isn't toilet bowl backwash or anything, but swishing it out is helpful.

by Anonymousreply 46August 19, 2018 8:14 PM

Or use a spray bottle for your butt on the toilet..no hefty install fee for a bidet

by Anonymousreply 47August 19, 2018 8:15 PM

A used dryer sheet removes lint from the screen very easily.

by Anonymousreply 48August 19, 2018 8:16 PM

Change your pillow cases more often than your sheets, or at least twice a week. Oils from your hair and hair product like gel get into your pillow cases and aren't great for your skin.

by Anonymousreply 49August 19, 2018 8:19 PM

Especially if u have greasy hair, uhum

by Anonymousreply 50August 19, 2018 8:20 PM

Keep a toilet brush, a bottle of toilet cleaner, Windex, and paper towels in each bathroom. Doing a 2-minute cleanup is so much easier - and you'll do it more often - if the things you need are handy.

by Anonymousreply 51August 19, 2018 8:21 PM

To get wrinkles out of closing fast, put item or items in the dryer with a wet clean dish cloth or hand towel depending on how many items. Turn the dryer on high for 10 minutes or so and remove promptly. The article of clothing should look pretty decent. But not as good as if you had ironed it.

by Anonymousreply 52August 19, 2018 8:25 PM

To get really clean feeling teeth & gums use interdental brushes dipped in hydrogen peroxide. Dip the brush in the peroxide and brush back-and-forth between your teeth. Keep changing the hydrogen peroxide and then gargle with hydrogen peroxide. Then brush your teeth real good! Then gargle with Listerine! Feels awesome and works really well to get rid of food particles stuck between your teeth and gums.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53August 19, 2018 8:32 PM

Also don’t forget to brush your tongue and the roof of your mouth.

by Anonymousreply 54August 19, 2018 8:33 PM

To remove white hot drink rings from a solid wood table place a brown paper bag over the area, set your iron to warm, not hot, and magically iron the damage away.

by Anonymousreply 55August 19, 2018 8:40 PM

Ez Off oven cleaner in the blue can for your shower. Spray it over everything. Let sit for a few hours or overnight. Rinse off. You might have to use a sponge, too but the soap scum just falls off.

by Anonymousreply 56August 19, 2018 8:42 PM

I get rid of hiccups with a spoonful of sugar. And, to clean the toilet, use a couple of denture cleaning tablets.

by Anonymousreply 57August 19, 2018 8:46 PM

To expand on R55’s comment, to remove white rings on a wood table caused by condensation from a cold drink you can also scrub the stain with cigarette ashes.

by Anonymousreply 58August 19, 2018 8:47 PM

When rimming a hot guy's ass, draw the letters of the alphabet with your tongue. Really thrust it in there when forming the tittle of the lowercase i and j.

by Anonymousreply 59August 19, 2018 8:55 PM

R56 doesn’t it make your place smell really bad?

by Anonymousreply 60August 19, 2018 8:55 PM

R60, that what my thought. That stuff reeks like only toxic chemicals can. A better solution for your shower is to clean it with a vinegar-lemon solution. It's shockingly good at cutting through soap scum. I don't know about mildew, though.

by Anonymousreply 61August 19, 2018 9:14 PM

Forget about ironing. Take your clothes out of the dryer, one piece at a time, as the dryer is still running ie - take out one garment, close the dryer door, start up the dryer again as you hang up the piece you just removed. No wrinkles - although it doesn't work well with garments that are cotton.

by Anonymousreply 62August 19, 2018 9:39 PM

You mean life hacks, OP?

by Anonymousreply 63August 19, 2018 9:55 PM

r62 has hit on a real tip. I've done this for years. Makes a difference in your overall time ironing!

by Anonymousreply 64August 20, 2018 2:30 AM

[quote]Use lemon to lighten hair for summer. Use peanut butter and wine as face mask to tighten skin.

Are you trying to put me out of business, bitch?

by Anonymousreply 65August 20, 2018 2:33 AM

R38, I'm the one who originally suggested the $35 bidet. I have that one "Luxe" something and yes, it works great enough. You can get them for $20 all the way up to thousand of dollars, but the $35 does the job!

It will change your life, in the bathroom at least.

by Anonymousreply 66August 20, 2018 2:35 AM

R64- Exactly. I haven't had to drag out the iron in years. It helps that the only things I have made of cotton are sheets and I never iron them anyway.

by Anonymousreply 67August 20, 2018 2:45 AM

For those with barfy cats:

The best spot cleaner for carpets is plain old rubbing alcohol (70% isopropyl). It removes stains almost instantly, deodorizes, evaporates quickly, and leaves no residue to attract dirt.

by Anonymousreply 68August 20, 2018 3:05 AM

R54, as to brushing your tongue: I’m afrain I’ll lose my sense of taste prematurely. That happens with age, anyway, and I don’t want it to happen earlier than otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 69August 20, 2018 3:57 AM

R59, did you learn that from the Evening Punctuationist?

by Anonymousreply 70August 20, 2018 3:59 AM

What gets out cat pee smells? I’ve tried every cleaner known to man.

by Anonymousreply 71August 20, 2018 4:13 AM

The problem of hedge mazes is a growing one in most countries. Too many people feel trapped and have given up hope. As hedge mazes proliferate in society, the burden on society's resources to deal with them becomes even more stressed. It will reach a tipping point soon, unless world governments can set aside their differences for one day and agree on a solution.

by Anonymousreply 72August 20, 2018 4:16 AM

R71 have to get rid of cat. Once cats begin peeing in house they do not stop.

by Anonymousreply 73August 20, 2018 5:33 AM

To remove skins from garlic cloves, bring two cups or small bowls together, enclosing the clove(s). Shake vigorously for up to 30 seconds.

by Anonymousreply 74August 20, 2018 5:43 AM

Natures miracle cat at most pet stores or big A online..they won’t keep going if u keep the box clean and use NM

by Anonymousreply 75August 20, 2018 5:47 AM

R75 no, not really. New carpet, floor or cat has to go.

by Anonymousreply 76August 20, 2018 5:51 AM

Take breakfast cereal out of the box before storing it. Keep it in the plastic bag, and use a clip to keep the bag closed. Saves space.

by Anonymousreply 77August 20, 2018 5:54 AM

R73, r76, STFU 🖕🏻See what Jason Galaxy has to say or just keep trying different methods. I’d get rid of the carpet instead. Pheromone diffusers, enzyme sprays, catnip, play with cat more, put throw rugs or plastic down, ANYTHING, but save that cat’s life!

by Anonymousreply 78August 20, 2018 6:10 AM

R78 I’m sorry I triggered you. My partner and I love cats. We had a cat having accidents in the house, and both vets actually said what I wrote.

by Anonymousreply 79August 20, 2018 6:13 AM

Put some TP in the bowl before you go when you have the dreaded D. But, be careful, too much will clog, too little will not work. It stops the splash-back.

And if you ever expel something too big to flush, break it up with a plastic fork and flush in pieces(you kind of spear some of it and flush the rest in batches) Just don’t lose your grip and let the fork go down or drip toilet water all over when you throw the fork out (you will need a plastic bag lined trash basket as well) Wash hands well.

Gross, but better than a clogged toilet, which can flood all over. Very messy.

by Anonymousreply 80August 20, 2018 6:23 AM

I use those to clean my jeweler R53. Great if you have a diamond ring in a tight setting.

by Anonymousreply 81August 20, 2018 6:25 AM

So why repeat it r79? Why perpetuate the hate if you love cats so much?

by Anonymousreply 82August 20, 2018 6:25 AM

Fold your jeans neatly while they are still wet and throw them in the dryer. They come out looking like you ironed them.

by Anonymousreply 83August 20, 2018 6:27 AM

In my computer room, the air conditioner's "movable plastic vents" stopped working right after the warranty expired so I uses an old clothespin on the bottom plastic rung to keep it in the center when I want the air on me. I can just move the pin left or right to keep the air off me when I get too cold (my ac is about 2 feet from my desk chair).

I use cheap (less than 10 bucks) bathroom robe metallic hooks that you can get at some box stores for my front & back doors (where the hinges are) for guests to put hats or purses when visiting. My mom is in her 70's & she was always misplacing her purse & ear muffs. Now she doesn't have to retrace her steps in every room.

I spray air freshener on my ceiling fan blades before I turn it on. It gets the rooms smelling nice about 10 minutes before guests arrive (I have several indoor pets).

I can be on my computer for several hours at a time so I use several different sizes of cushions to adjust my height & give my hips/back some relief. I usually just start off the first hour sitting in my chair normally, then when a cheap $3.00 hour timer goes off, I add a cushion for the next hour. When the hour timer runs down a second time, I remove the first cushion for the next hour. The health studies show that people who sit too much have more health problems so I try to give my leg & back muscles different types of support especially in the winter time when you just can't go out & walk around. I've noticed I've had less back & hip pain in the past 2 years since I've started doing this.

by Anonymousreply 84August 20, 2018 6:27 AM

R82 perpetuate the hate? Really? I’m stating what I know. We kept our cat. Just difficult

by Anonymousreply 85August 20, 2018 6:28 AM

[quote] if you ever expel something too big to flush, break it up with a plastic fork

Thanks Godzilla.

by Anonymousreply 86August 20, 2018 6:28 AM

I should have worded my second tip better. It sounds like I put the metallic hooks on the back of the doors where the hinges are.

I have them on the walls right next to the hinges (there is about a foot or two of space between my doors & the walls).

It's a great way to use up the extra space between your doors/walls & guests don't have to set them on your coffee table or some place your pets might have been like a window sill.

by Anonymousreply 87August 20, 2018 6:37 AM

So now we have a Bidet Troll?

by Anonymousreply 88August 20, 2018 6:51 AM

[quote]R25 Scalding hot water is a great moisturizer.

I mistakenly read this as, "Scalding hot water is a great [italic]motivator..."

by Anonymousreply 89August 20, 2018 7:21 AM

[quote]I spray air freshener on my ceiling fan blades before I turn it on.

I am white trash.

by Anonymousreply 90August 20, 2018 7:28 AM

Thank you, R80.

I've installed a macerating toilet. It saves me from having to chop up shit with a plastic fork.

by Anonymousreply 91August 20, 2018 7:36 AM

[quote]And if you ever expel something too big to flush

I have never. I can't imagine.

by Anonymousreply 92August 20, 2018 7:46 AM

R81 what do you use to clean your jewelry?

by Anonymousreply 93August 20, 2018 7:48 AM

R93 I seriously use mink soap made by touch of mink.

by Anonymousreply 94August 20, 2018 7:51 AM

Use a toothpick to clean shrimp. Just stick the toothpick horizontally through the shrimp right beneath the vein and slowly pull it up. The entire vein will come out in one piece.

If you're using shell-on shrimp, bend along the natural curve to make space between the shell segments and proceed as above.

by Anonymousreply 95August 20, 2018 8:14 AM

I was looking for a genius solution to my everyday shrimp deveining problem, R95. Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 96August 20, 2018 8:31 AM

I clean my copper pots with coarse salt and lemon juice.

by Anonymousreply 97August 20, 2018 9:32 AM

71 and 73 - 71. nature's miracle. 73. Not true. means they are sick. My cat starting going outside box. Turned out he had pancreatitis. He now is on prednisone for remainder of life. Once he began medication he stopped urinating outside box. Going outside box is symptom of illness. Always take cat to vet first.

by Anonymousreply 98August 20, 2018 9:32 AM

[quote] "Scalding hot water is a great motivator..."

Well, it certainly can be.

by Anonymousreply 99August 20, 2018 4:02 PM

Do you fork the bowel movement with mayo in your hair for conditioner?

by Anonymousreply 100August 20, 2018 5:22 PM

Vinegar and hair conditioner make a great fabric softener.

by Anonymousreply 101August 20, 2018 5:28 PM

I don't know if they still sell it, but Graham Haley wrote a book called "Haley's Hints" that's loaded with time and money saving tips.

by Anonymousreply 102August 20, 2018 5:50 PM

Those little wart freezing kits also helps fade acne scars and can be used as a spot treatment to freeze off zits overnight.

It's possible to boil water in paper bags/cups. You can even use bowls made out of aluminum foil or aluminum soda cans. This is often learned within a camping/emergency survivalist context, but I've found it's also a good trick to use when you want to make pasta without having to wash a pot afterwards, or if you ever need to sterilize something like sex toys, pet items, tweezers, medical devices, nail clippers or anything else that you'd rather not boil in a pot normally used for food.

Some people brush their teeth immediately after each meal (which is what dentists used to advise me to do as a kid), but that's actually not very good for your teeth because it wears down the enamel. Instead what you should do is: after eating, gargle liberally with plain water or water with a bit of antacid added to it, and if you want to brush your teeth, wait about 15 minutes after gargling to do so. This gives your enamel, which may have softened as a result of any acidic foods you ate during your meal, to harden again.

by Anonymousreply 103August 20, 2018 6:23 PM

R80, You've apparently never heard of a poop knife! I hadn't either, but DL always educates!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104August 20, 2018 6:30 PM

Now I’m really confused R103! So I’m not supposed to brush after meals? Or Maybe wait 20 minutes or so to brush after a meal?

I like to brush after meals. I hate the feeling of food in my mouth and in my teeth after a meal gross.

by Anonymousreply 105August 20, 2018 7:58 PM

[quote]Put newly bought flour into the freezer for a couple of days. It kills potential eggs from insects.

Yep! This is also useful for grains (oats, barley, rice, etc.).

Pantry-moth larvae love them all, but the freezer will kill them if any have found away into whatever grain you've purchased.

by Anonymousreply 106August 20, 2018 8:16 PM

The guy at Gap said spot clean denim and put in the freezer to kill bacteria ...ewwww

by Anonymousreply 107August 20, 2018 9:00 PM

R107, someone should tell Anderson Cooper this trick!

by Anonymousreply 108August 20, 2018 9:12 PM

I put this behind my ears to attract men.

by Anonymousreply 109August 20, 2018 9:17 PM

R105 wait for 20-30 minutes. Rinse your mouth out before that if you must.

by Anonymousreply 110August 21, 2018 1:27 AM

Slice of bread rubbed on lipstick on clothes removes it

by Anonymousreply 111August 21, 2018 1:34 AM

R111 oh ok, thanks I was wondering how I was going to get my husbands lipstick off my pants.

by Anonymousreply 112August 21, 2018 1:37 AM

Pour Lubriderm lotion into old socks and wear them round the hut to keep your feet soft and smooth

by Anonymousreply 113August 21, 2018 1:39 AM

The next time you're lost in a cornfield, follow a row to the end. (Corn is so tall and dense that you can't see anything but corn.)

by Anonymousreply 114August 21, 2018 1:41 AM

Lovehearts work on indigestion. Saves a packet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115August 21, 2018 1:46 AM

Mexicans for tables. Self-cleaning, quirky, unique. Come in all sizes and genders. Can mow the lawn and rake leaves when not in use.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116August 21, 2018 2:02 AM

R113 Vaseline works great too. Rub all over feet and put socks on and in the morning your feet are silky soft.

by Anonymousreply 117August 21, 2018 2:11 AM

Soaking your hands in Palmolive while doing dishes twice a day helps create softer and younger looking hands.

by Anonymousreply 118August 21, 2018 2:13 AM

[R72] is correct regarding the hedge maze problem. Some friends bought a house with a maze straddling the property line. They weren't concerned b/c they knew how to navigate mazes, like most well-educated people.

Mazes have to kept up. Overgrown mazes block the inside trails and lack of watering can kill sections. Well, my friends' neighbors did not keep their side of the maze! Hearing cries from distressed children and animals, they found themselves entering their well-tended side and rescuing creatures on the other side. One time a homeless spontaneously emerged from their opening during a pool party. They were so embarrassed.

The police refused to anything about it. Their lawyer advised against even putting up a fence down the middle of the maze. And... the neighbors, they don't care. One of their children spent Thanksgiving weekend in there before it wandered out on my friends' lawn.

by Anonymousreply 119August 21, 2018 2:27 AM

Steam eggs instead of boiling. 6 minutes for soft, 9 medium, 12 hard. To peel them put them in a Tupperware tub or similar half filled with water. Secure the lid and shake for 30 seconds, the eggs will be perfectly peeled.

by Anonymousreply 120August 21, 2018 2:30 AM

[quote]One time a homeless spontaneously emerged from their opening during a pool party.

I wouldn't want anything emerging from my opening during a pool party! It would be like "Caddyshack!"

by Anonymousreply 121August 21, 2018 2:40 AM

You never wear cotton, R67? What are your clothes made out of? I'm genuinely curious....

by Anonymousreply 122August 22, 2018 2:00 AM

I learned this on DataLounge earlier:

Aluminum foil boxes have tabs on the ends. Punch the tabs inward. This will hold the roll in place while you unroll sheet after sheet. I never knew and it’s such a cool, useful idea, I love to share this one.

by Anonymousreply 123August 22, 2018 7:45 PM

R122-I had to check the labels - spandex, tencel, vicose, lyocell. Very soft fabrics.

by Anonymousreply 124August 22, 2018 9:01 PM

Those are all commendable choices for a Datalounger, r124.

Tencel

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125August 22, 2018 10:17 PM

Viscose

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126August 22, 2018 10:17 PM

Lyocell

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127August 22, 2018 10:17 PM

...and Spandex

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128August 22, 2018 10:18 PM

R123 I was the one who posted that tip months ago. My mom showed it to me.

I finally locked it into my brain that the open end of the trash bag is the opposite end of where the bag is torn from the roll.

by Anonymousreply 129August 23, 2018 7:27 AM

A tip to get rid of that years burned on brown crud on any baked to death Pyrex dishes, casseroles, lasagna pans ect: spray them with oven cleaner (i do it in my garage sink) cos it stinkless now.... anyway

let em sit over night..... and scrub that nastiness away the next day!! Voila!! ya might wanna wear gloves.

think ya can use it to clean other gunky stuff as well. :)

by Anonymousreply 130August 23, 2018 8:18 AM

R130 ETA: ok, my keyboard is possessed. i meant do it outside cos it stinks but i think they make stinkless oven cleaner now.

by Anonymousreply 131August 23, 2018 8:20 AM

I clean the barbecue with that stuff too r130. It’s harsh stuff but just leave it to do it’s work and then hose off the residue. Just make sure to hose it off over a poly tarp that can be trashed because you don’t want that stuff seeping into the ground or where pets might step in it.

by Anonymousreply 132August 23, 2018 4:01 PM

R123 and R129: THANK YOU! Who knew?!

by Anonymousreply 133August 23, 2018 4:05 PM

Raise the upper shelf of your dishwasher to fit large plates, pots,. etc., in the lower shelf.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134August 24, 2018 1:03 PM

r124 smells.

by Anonymousreply 135August 24, 2018 1:58 PM

Put any clothes or soft furnishings you buy at a flea market or open market in the freezer for 48 hours before having it in your house. It will kill, fleas, moths, bedbugs, silverfish or larvae. Also do this with second-hand books to kill bookworm.

If you have bought something by mail, eg on Ebay, and it arrives reeking of cigarette smoke, put the item with a small open bowl of baking soda in a sealed plastic bag and within a week, the odour will be gone.

If you want to straighten curly or wavy hair, get a styler-dryer with fine tooth comb attachment, to avoid frying your hair with irons. Works just as well.

by Anonymousreply 136August 24, 2018 2:49 PM

I haven't read most of the posts on this thread, but one 'Genius Solution' that I've heard thrown about for years that doesn't work is dousching with yogurt to get rid of a yeast infection. I won't go into the gory details, but suffice to say, it didn't cure my yeast infection, it was a bitch to get out and took about a week to get it cleaned out from down there and I wound up discharching clotted and sour smelling yougurt for days! To make things even worse, I've wound up with a urinary tract infection pretty much monthly ever since and that happened in 1992!

by Anonymousreply 137August 24, 2018 3:51 PM

Some of you people are fucking trash. Douching with yogurt? Cleaning the "bbq" with oven cleaner? One,it's called a grill, two, that toxic shit is going to get into your food. Turn the grill up high and let the old food stuff burn off. Scrub with abrasive brush and then wipe while hot with paper towels soaked in veg oil. And the person who needs to break up their shit, you're a fucking scat troll.

by Anonymousreply 138August 24, 2018 8:49 PM

[quote] who knew?

Not me! Thanks, R129!

R133, true for Saran Wrap, but not aluminum foil, in my house, today. Whatever!

by Anonymousreply 139August 24, 2018 9:00 PM

r137, ----- Dear God.

I'm a guy and I know better. You don't put it in the hoo-hoo. You smear just a tad onto a sanitary pad and you wear the pad all day. And you have to use the high-acidophilus kind of yogurt or you're wasting your time.

by Anonymousreply 140August 24, 2018 9:12 PM

[quote]Some of you people are fucking trash. Douching with yogurt?

Seriously, yogurt doesn’t work?

by Anonymousreply 141August 24, 2018 9:19 PM

So you should use Greek yogurt for an anal douche?

by Anonymousreply 142August 24, 2018 10:38 PM

I’ve tried yogurt popsicles but I find that stuffing my pussy with garlic adds that to that certain je ne sais quoi DL can’t get enough of.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143August 24, 2018 10:38 PM

If you have a Mac laptop fully empty your battery once a week. Keep your Mac plugged in the rest of the time when it's on. Unplug your Mac when it's off. You will get amazing longevity out of your battery.

Your Mac has a Maximum Cycle Count, keep an eye on that number and your battery will last a long time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144August 24, 2018 11:07 PM

If you accidentally shrank your favorite cotton T-shirt in the drier, let it soak in cold water with some hair conditioner. Rinse, stretch it flat on the floor (over a towel).

Same if you buy a cotton tee that's a little tight.

by Anonymousreply 145August 24, 2018 11:11 PM

If your Apple device’s battery is running low, you can charge it faster by putting it in airplane mode. This really works well.

by Anonymousreply 146August 24, 2018 11:30 PM

I didn't know that, R146. I noticed that an iPhone charges faster when in Low Power mode.

by Anonymousreply 147August 24, 2018 11:38 PM

Well, R141 this was the early '90s and I just thought you could use any kind, I think I used Danon Fruit on the bottom blueberry. I bought several pints of it...in hindsight I probably should have taken out the blueberries.

by Anonymousreply 148August 25, 2018 10:57 AM

I store things in old Talenti containers.

by Anonymousreply 149August 25, 2018 11:01 AM

Vinegar and water surprisingly cleans a lot of things. Helps get rid of cooking odors too. Cleaning your toilet with plain old baking soda works just fine.

by Anonymousreply 150August 25, 2018 4:07 PM

Oven cleaner works great on removing lipstick from wine glasses. I also use it on stubborn spills in the refrigerator and soak toothbrushes in it to get out the extra gunk left behind.

by Anonymousreply 151August 25, 2018 4:12 PM

The maze solution doesn’t work for all mazes, so know what kind of maze you’re getting into first. You want the loopless kind.

by Anonymousreply 152August 25, 2018 4:43 PM

[quote]You want the loopless kind.

It would be impossible to loop in a maze unless the maze had no entrance.

by Anonymousreply 153August 25, 2018 4:48 PM

I’ve never been in a maze. I think I’m pretty safe.

by Anonymousreply 154August 25, 2018 4:54 PM

I got pen ink, lots of ink, on a practically brand new couch. Turpentine got it out. Usually, things are either water soluble, or oil soluble. Meaning that 409 or Fantastic cleaner, or similar; or turpentine or similar, will get it out.

by Anonymousreply 155August 25, 2018 4:57 PM

Do you know what a styptic pen is? It stops bleeding. Good for razor nicks. If you buy one, it should last your lifetime.

by Anonymousreply 156August 25, 2018 4:59 PM

Styptic pen.

How does it work?

by Anonymousreply 157August 25, 2018 5:16 PM

You may not like this one, but it saved my cat's life. My 5 yr old neutered indoor cat started spraying urine around my house when a neighbour's cat started taunting him through the French doors. We tried everything, including useless things like Feliway and an animal behaviourist. What finally worked was putting him on a low dose of Prozac; 1/4 of a 25 mg tablet, once a week. Without it, he'd have been a goner.

by Anonymousreply 158August 25, 2018 5:29 PM

If you run out of weed in Ontario, you can now order like pizza without any prescription whatsoever and they will deliver the same day directly to your door by dinner time. :)

by Anonymousreply 159August 25, 2018 5:41 PM

To take the odor out of fabric or clothing that has a bad smell, put it in a plastic bag with (clean!) cat litter and leave it for a week. The cat litter absorbs the odor from the fabric in the same way that it absorbs the odor of your cat's waste.

Use a small paint brush to get the dust out of corners, complicated carved furniture, etc.

50% water, 50% white vinegar is a great spray cleaner, and completely safe.

by Anonymousreply 160August 25, 2018 5:58 PM

Interesting, R146. I'm definitely going to try this. Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 161August 25, 2018 5:58 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 162September 6, 2018 12:14 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!