Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Masterpiece Cakeshop owner sues after refusing to make a birthday cake for a trans woman

Just two months after his narrow victory at the Supreme Court, Jack Phillips, the owner of Masterpiece Cakeshop, is back in the news for once again discriminating against an LGBTQ customer. This time, he refused to sell a birthday cake to a transgender person.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99August 21, 2018 1:39 AM

This smells like a set up

by Anonymousreply 1August 15, 2018 7:43 PM

What's the baker have to sue about. It will be quickly dismissed.

He's a bigot. His religion has little to do with it

by Anonymousreply 2August 15, 2018 7:45 PM

I wouldn't want a cake from him. This is bullshit, to keep it going with him. Tranny drama

by Anonymousreply 3August 15, 2018 7:48 PM

R2 The Colorado Civil Rights Commission filed a complaint against him again.

by Anonymousreply 4August 15, 2018 7:49 PM

R4 and he's suing the CCRC, which is ridiculous. He's breaking Colorado law and he's suing

by Anonymousreply 5August 15, 2018 7:56 PM

How about suing him for copyright infringement? I thought Disney owned the rights to the Winnie the Pooh characters.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6August 15, 2018 7:57 PM

This is just mean spirited overkill.

by Anonymousreply 7August 15, 2018 8:10 PM

They do. Unless he's got a license from Disney, he can't do that.

by Anonymousreply 8August 15, 2018 8:30 PM

This is what Christians do. They complain. LGBTQ need to stop asking him to bake shit for us.

by Anonymousreply 9August 15, 2018 8:33 PM

R6

Release the Mouses!

by Anonymousreply 10August 15, 2018 8:33 PM

This is clearly a setup to take him back to court, but with what purpose? How will this case be winnable if the last one wasn't?

by Anonymousreply 11August 15, 2018 8:41 PM

[quote]This is clearly a setup to take him back to court, but with what purpose? How will this case be winnable if the last one wasn't?

It's not about winning, it's about using the legal system to bankrupt him and his business.

by Anonymousreply 12August 15, 2018 8:43 PM

UPDATE. She got her cake after all.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13August 15, 2018 8:47 PM

Let this guy just die out in peace. His generation is almost gone.

by Anonymousreply 14August 15, 2018 8:49 PM

i'm wondering why gay people aren't going to him and ordering a cake but revealing the function, and once they pay and are walking out, let him know it is for a gay event.

by Anonymousreply 15August 15, 2018 8:56 PM

r9 Exactly. I won’t buy baked goods from haters, because they’d probably literally bake shit into the cake, and mix some smegma into the frosting for good measure. I’ll take my business elsewhere.

by Anonymousreply 16August 15, 2018 9:33 PM

It's a way to make it not about gay people, but about trans.

by Anonymousreply 17August 15, 2018 9:38 PM

That must be some good cake for people to be willing to deal with his drama.

by Anonymousreply 18August 15, 2018 9:50 PM

R15 Like those blindfolded straight men lured into a van for a blowjob by a lady, and then - surprise!

by Anonymousreply 19August 15, 2018 9:52 PM

It’s clearly a set-up, but an effective one.

I thought he had a semi-valid argument for the wedding cake, but I have a bigger problem with this one as it is less about a ceremony and more about an individual.

Both are exclusionary and worthy of a boycott, but we are now in an era so divided that a boycott might cut business in half on one side, but provoke a wave of support on the other, effectively doubling or tripling business.

by Anonymousreply 20August 15, 2018 10:02 PM

Or some insane person might set fire to the offending facility because the furore around it.

by Anonymousreply 21August 15, 2018 10:09 PM

Yup r17

by Anonymousreply 22August 15, 2018 10:15 PM

Why is the LGBTQ+ acting as if Masterpiece is the only bake shop in Colorado? I mean really. Come on.

by Anonymousreply 23August 15, 2018 10:22 PM

This may have been a setup, but I don't know what religious grounds he can claim for denying one specific person a cake. There wasn't a religion-based ceremony involved (although I'd argue that marriage is a state-based activity anyway). Birthdays aren't against his religion, so obviously it was that the person is transgender. What's next? Denying a quinceañera cake to a Guatemalan immigrant? This guy is sickening.

by Anonymousreply 24August 15, 2018 10:39 PM

its another lgbtq troll trying to get their 15 min of fame and win a civil suit. whether you agree wit his views or not what rhyme or reason did the cakeseeker have to go there, knowing his views? when there are a million other bakeries around, not including the grocery stores? Troll.

by Anonymousreply 25August 15, 2018 10:47 PM

Don't. Go. there.

by Anonymousreply 26August 15, 2018 11:18 PM

[quote]How about suing him for copyright infringement? I thought Disney owned the rights to the Winnie the Pooh characters.

Aside from all the legal drama and "religious freedom" arguments the simple fact is:

he's an incompetent cake maker......that Eeyoe looks like shit.

by Anonymousreply 27August 15, 2018 11:27 PM

R26 is too dim to understand why discrimination is wrong.

by Anonymousreply 28August 15, 2018 11:33 PM

Right on, R25 & R26! Why did that Rosa Parks think she could accomplish by sitting in the front of the bus, anyway?

by Anonymousreply 29August 15, 2018 11:39 PM

He seems like a huge closet case, for what it's worth.

by Anonymousreply 30August 15, 2018 11:45 PM

R 29 W an W.

All these "leave the poor guy alone" trolls don't really think that their BS is going to go over here do they?

Having a trans person go over there is perfect because the nasty ass bigot can't claim religious freedom this time. It puts the lie to the previous ruling that he was just practicing his religion.

Anybody too stupid to see this, raise your hand!

by Anonymousreply 31August 15, 2018 11:46 PM

The baker is an obvious tool, but so is the Trans "woman" making an issue out of the fucking cake, because shit like this just backfires.

Gay rights are being rolled back while the Trans go out of their way to irritate the fuck out of everyone and lose sympathy for gays, whose movement the Trans deliberately hijacked.

by Anonymousreply 32August 15, 2018 11:58 PM

The headline is misleading. The bakery did not refuse to make a [italic] Birthday [/italic] cake. It was also celebrating the person’s gender transition, to be designed with the colors if the T flag, etc. From the article:

[quote] “The woman on the phone,” she wrote, “did not object to my request for a birthday cake until I told her I was celebrating my transition from male to female.”

Definitely a set-up. Of course they knew that this bakery would have a problem with making a full-blown, “yay - trans!” cake.

by Anonymousreply 33August 16, 2018 12:33 AM

The transgender person in question wanted the baker to custom bake a cake specifically celebrating the sex change operation. She wasn't trying to buy an all-purpose birthday cake that he would bake for anyone. The headline failed to mention that.

by Anonymousreply 34August 16, 2018 1:25 AM

The Baker looks like he’s lived a hard life....

by Anonymousreply 35August 16, 2018 1:40 AM

Regardless of whether the cake was for a gender reassignment procedure or an appendix removal, the baker has no right to claim religion freedom for such a situation.

by Anonymousreply 36August 16, 2018 3:09 AM

R36 I agree. He loves being a bigot who gets attention.

by Anonymousreply 37August 16, 2018 6:50 PM

I'd love for this baker to be refused supplies for his business from a vendor claiming something about the baker conflicts with his religious beliefs.

by Anonymousreply 38August 16, 2018 8:34 PM

Bread & circus

by Anonymousreply 39August 16, 2018 8:46 PM

R29 - Rosa Parks sat in the front of the bus because it was law throughout the South that Blacks had to sit separately from whites on public transportation & other public places. Rosa Parks had no choice in where she sat wherever she went.

LGBTQ+ have a choice in where they want to procure baked goods. Masterpiece Cakeshop is located in Lakewood, CO right outside of Denver & Aurora. This is the most population dense area of the state. There are dozens of bakeshops anyone can choose from.

by Anonymousreply 40August 18, 2018 3:01 PM

R38 - That's fine. And I think the Masterpiece owner would be fine with that. So what would the baker do? Shop somewhere else! Its not that difficult.

by Anonymousreply 41August 18, 2018 3:02 PM

This is completely illiberal. How pathetic do you have to be to spend your time hunting down and destroying walking fossils.

Shame. We are better than this.

by Anonymousreply 42August 18, 2018 3:17 PM

Soon enough you’re going to have clothing assistants and every kind of small business owner refusing to serve gays because of the ruling this guy managed to win. There’s millions who’ve been held in check in the past due to the fear of any repercussions. However, now their true colours are going to emerge and this attitude will slowly spread to the big cities.

by Anonymousreply 43August 18, 2018 3:24 PM

May the invisible hand of the market and a slew of lawsuits bankrupt this redneck piece of shit.

God Bless America!

by Anonymousreply 44August 18, 2018 3:46 PM

I hope his business triple in profit. Amen.

by Anonymousreply 45August 18, 2018 3:49 PM

I think the baker likes being in the limelight and has become an attention whore.

by Anonymousreply 46August 18, 2018 3:50 PM

All the grocery store owners, and, maybe even some of the larger supermarket chains might be able to use this religious ruling to avoid serving gays. Maybe even some landlords will be next. It’s a vicious circle and will just feed off itself as people become bolder. I know one employer who really hates one of the nelly gays that works for him. Both him and his wife are rabid Christians and they might use this to try and get rid of their employee.

by Anonymousreply 47August 18, 2018 3:57 PM

R29, bc Rosa Parks was on a public bus. It's his private bakery. That's the difference. The courts already ruled in his favor. Just go to another bakery.

by Anonymousreply 48August 18, 2018 3:57 PM

Pretty soon you won’t even be able to go to the dry cleaners without being refused service for being gay. That’s what this ruling means. It has set a precedent that will give others the opportunity to display their bias and homophobia.

by Anonymousreply 49August 18, 2018 4:04 PM

Can't we all just get along?

by Anonymousreply 50August 18, 2018 4:09 PM

Yeah, it's wasn't a birthday cake, it was a "transition cake" whatever that is, with the express celebration of being blue outside and pink inside to celebrate the identity switch (or identity within being revealed or some-such. Would have sold the customer a regular birthday cake or any other cake in the store, but not not that, and according to his sue papers wouldn't have created a cake like that no matter who came in the shop or ordered it.

by Anonymousreply 51August 18, 2018 4:23 PM

No. We can’t all just get along, r50. Because pretty soon you might not be able to go to your local coffee shop without some fat religious frau refusing you service because your gay.

by Anonymousreply 52August 18, 2018 4:25 PM

R52 But the person wasn't gay and dont really care what happens to a trans person.

by Anonymousreply 53August 18, 2018 4:29 PM

“What’s the occasion for your cake?”

It’s none of your fucking business day. I’m prepared to overpay for a mediocre dessert, artistically transformed to make it more appealing.

by Anonymousreply 54August 18, 2018 4:41 PM

R53: It’s all the same thing to these people.

by Anonymousreply 55August 18, 2018 4:44 PM

R40 then what if the other bakeries decide to do the same thing? Or a doctor, or a mechanic? Businesses have to serve everyone.

by Anonymousreply 56August 18, 2018 4:55 PM

R54 but what if the trans person asked for that cake in the shape of her new uterus?

by Anonymousreply 57August 18, 2018 4:58 PM

Freedom of choice and freedom of religion is one of the most cherished aspects in western societies. If it is allowed to be skewed like it has with this ruling, then it will just be another form of discrimination and homophobia. I don’t think a lot of gays realise just how much homophobia exists under the surface. Many people might tow the line under normal circumstances, but if their given the opportunity to display their bias and hatred with no repercussions they will happily do so.

by Anonymousreply 58August 18, 2018 5:08 PM

[quote] the baker has no right to claim religion freedom for such a situation.

Why not? Genetics is a holy study discovered by Gregor Johann Mendel, an Augustinian friar and abbot of St. Thomas' Abbey in Brno, Margraviate of Moravia. Blessed be deoxyribonucleic acid.

by Anonymousreply 59August 18, 2018 5:17 PM

So is he allowed to refuse to bake a cake only for a gay wedding, or any gay customer? Aren't the majority of MTF gay?

by Anonymousreply 60August 18, 2018 5:26 PM

[quote]“What’s the occasion for your cake?” It’s none of your fucking business day.

If her attitude had been the same as yours, she would have gotten her cake. She purposely stated what it was for in order to set up the situation. Let's all follow your example instead.

by Anonymousreply 61August 18, 2018 5:28 PM

There’s millions like Kim Davis out there. The baker getting away with refusing service to gays because of his religious beliefs will just encourage them.

by Anonymousreply 62August 18, 2018 5:55 PM

FYI, the baker has stated that he does not refuse service to gays and there is no accusation of him not selling products other than the ones in question to gay customers. It would be a different story if he did refuse.

by Anonymousreply 63August 18, 2018 6:30 PM

That’s just to excuse his rampant homophobia, r63. He’d refuse service to gays full stop if he thought he could get away with it. The ruling that he won is just the start. Religious pressure groups will begin to use this as an example. There will be more cases of business owners and individuals taking a stance against gays and gay rights because of this.

by Anonymousreply 64August 18, 2018 6:50 PM

Okkkkkkay, then why don’t we stop selling products to them too? I’m just saying, twist it right back around “since the SCOTUS is affirming discrimination then I’m going to exercise my right to discriminate against bigots, just like they do. Selling XXX to faux-Christians is against my value system.” Why not? Why not start refusing service to them too to make a point?

by Anonymousreply 65August 18, 2018 7:01 PM

R64 you can also expect businesses to post publicly that they will do business with the gay community, as has been done.

The irony of the whole refusal to do business over religious differences argument is that Christianity wouldn’t be what it is today if Jews had’t been refused business in the first place. The shoe is on another foot now, and they’re ramming right up their own asses. You worship money or you worship god, not both.

by Anonymousreply 66August 18, 2018 7:02 PM

Refuse to sell to them — they’re going to find out very quickly that this won’t work out well for them.

by Anonymousreply 67August 18, 2018 7:05 PM

R66: You don’t seem to understand. This is the start of a long slippery slope of “supposed” religious freedom being used as a way to discriminate. They can’t go after Muslims, blacks, or other minorities. The gay community is seen by these Jesus freaks as an easy target. Once you get one ruling like this it eventually opens the floodgates as they won’t rest. They’ll keep chipping away with their homophobia and it’s only going to get worse.

by Anonymousreply 68August 18, 2018 8:00 PM

He is a bigot and that's pretty clear, but if you are a trans woman why do you want this bigot making you a cake?

I understand the couple whom sue him for discrimination, but now everybody knows him, so there's no excuse to not go other bakery

by Anonymousreply 69August 18, 2018 8:04 PM

Will he bake a cake for a Bukkake party? Asking for my whore friend,

by Anonymousreply 70August 18, 2018 8:06 PM

You just know he’d be taking an extra long piss in the cake dough if he was forced to bake a cake for a gay. I agree with the other posters, why would anyone patronise his business after this.

by Anonymousreply 71August 18, 2018 8:09 PM

R68 what part do you think I don’t understand? I agree with you about everything you wrote, except your assertion that their strategy is bound to succeed. There’s no reason to be fatalistic because one Supreme Court ruling doesn’t mean the issue is closed.

by Anonymousreply 72August 18, 2018 9:46 PM

These threads wold be more interesting if people actually read the Masterpiece decision.

OP's article loses credibility from the start claiming Masterpiece was a narrow victory. It was 7-2.

by Anonymousreply 73August 19, 2018 4:13 AM

Why is it that the trans-gender customer chose this particular baker when there are many other bakeries in the vicinity? Perhaps the plaintiff wants some quick cash and/or publicity.

by Anonymousreply 74August 19, 2018 4:19 AM

R73 It was a narrow ruling in that it only applied to that specific case.

by Anonymousreply 75August 19, 2018 4:31 AM

R58 only those under 40 dont realize the homophobia that exists.Us old bitches know it never went away.

by Anonymousreply 76August 19, 2018 5:06 AM

R74 The plaintiff is a Transgender lawyer, not just a random person, who was looking to find an excuse to drag him back into court over discrimination. In some article, there were claims that she tried calling as a Satanist and Abortion advocate before she simply settled on just being Transgendered. Regardless, I'm glad she chose this route and we should all be getting on our hands and knees thanking her for doing this. She's managed to make this into a larger issue than just discrimination against gays that will bring complacent people, specifically women, off the sidelines and into our column. What Autumn is complaining about is gender and sex discrimination. Unlike with the previous case which had to do with a marriage ceremony, this has to do with a class that is protected under federal non-discrimination law. If this case gets up to the Supreme Court, it's not only going to ask the justices whether it is lawful to discriminate against transgendered people, but all women based on their sex or gender. That's going to mobilize women's groups who have until now been silent because this didn't effect them directly. When women across the country see that not only are their reproductive rights at risk, but their right to avoid discrimination, they'll rise up and it will serve as a tidal wave against the right wing bigots in this country.

I also do think that HRC and the bigger gay organizations should take a page from the Red Hen incident where fat f^ck Huckabeast got thrown out of the restaurant due to her bigotry. If we have more instances where we discriminate against anti-gay lawmakers and Christian bigots, it will bring the injustice they are perpetuating home to them directly. Sure, some will be hypocritical snowflakes and whine like bitches in heat, but most will understand why the Equality act (which is miles better than ENDA due to the removal of the religious freedom provision) is necessary and momentum will be made to pass it once Democrats retake the White House. Sure, things are rough now, but it's not entirely hopeless IF we get organized.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77August 19, 2018 5:27 AM

On Friday’s broadcast of HBO’s “Real Time,” host Bill Maher remarked on the newest litigation involving Masterpiece Cakeshop by wondering if there is only one bakery in Colorado and suggesting opening his own bakery, “Bang Whoever You Want Cakes.”

by Anonymousreply 78August 19, 2018 5:42 AM

The Supreme Court ruled on expression, and his ability as an artist to turn down ANY offensive commission.

People have tried to get him to make a cake decorated with a dildo saying hail Satan. He said no, and they sued him. He will win this one again, and the plaintive’s will be forced to pay court costs in this case. Frivolous lawsuits like this are not winning any friends for Democrats.

by Anonymousreply 79August 19, 2018 6:36 AM

R77

You poor stupid cunt. The Supreme Court said it was about freedom of expression. Asking him to make any kind of cake that he finds offensive automatically falls under the prior court ruling, and will not even be considered by the courts.

by Anonymousreply 80August 19, 2018 6:38 AM

R80 No, the Supreme Court said it was about the Colorado Civil Rights commission not adequately taking his religious beliefs into account. This goes beyond his religious beliefs and into outright discrimination based on a person's gender. He can't use religious expression to deny that a transgendered person self identifies as such and refuse to make cake for them. That's what is going to put the Supreme Court into a position where they'll have to force him to do it or face the prospects overturning all non-discrimination laws. Repealing all non-discrimination laws would be catastrophic and Roberts knows this. A case like this is eventually going to be heard by the full court and they are going to come on the Transgendered lawyer's side in the end. I hope it's this one as it has a better shot of success than others.

by Anonymousreply 81August 19, 2018 4:57 PM

R81

Not a chance. The constant attempts by crazy people to force him to bake cakes will heavily influence any lawsuit.

by Anonymousreply 82August 19, 2018 6:08 PM

R75 - of course. I didn't see it I kept thinking 7-2. Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 83August 19, 2018 6:14 PM

He'll win the court cases, but still be wracked with the legal costs. And that's one of the reasons for this lawsuit.

by Anonymousreply 84August 19, 2018 6:20 PM

I never believed the "gay" couple who sued him in the first place. They look like they were styled backstage at The 700 Club ("What do fags look like?"). The one on the left would have a bear bf; the one on the right wouldn't have a bf at all.

Why did they pursue this to the Supreme Court when any dummy knows they would very likely fail, and set gay rights back 30 years? Who wouldn't call a baker first and ask, "Do you have any problem making gay cakes?". And where did they get the money for what must have been astronomical legal fees?

Either they're a fake couple and not really gay. Or some entity got tired of waiting and offered them a shitload of money to pursue this to the Supreme Court.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85August 19, 2018 6:49 PM

He would probably refuse to make a marble cake on moral grounds.

by Anonymousreply 86August 19, 2018 6:59 PM

R83: You could believe whatever you want but you are still wrong. It's not a question of the number of votes it's the fact that he barely got what he wanted and that sentence it won't matter for any similar case (that's the real meaning of narrow ruling in this case)

by Anonymousreply 87August 19, 2018 7:14 PM

R85: Yeah, they look like a pair of stereotypical “fags” to many homophobes. I don’t think it’s some kind of conspiracy though. They were just stupid and have only made matters worse by giving this asshole not only publicity, but also a kind of validation. Many people who are sitting on the fence will look at this and think he’s in the right. And that’s what’s frightening, the fact that these two idiots didn’t think this through and have made the baker sympathetic to many people.

And r84, all that will happen is the God squad will have a whip around for one of their own. How do you think that fat cunt Kim Davis supported herself while launching her appeal? Most of these cunts will be chomping at the bit to write this bigot a check.

by Anonymousreply 88August 19, 2018 7:23 PM

I think it would be better let him fade into oblivion. His business is tanking, the less attention he receives the faster he dissapears

by Anonymousreply 89August 19, 2018 7:30 PM

Why did the Supreme Court accept the case to begin with? Religious people have to live with the unwashed public (thieves and adulterers like their President) just like everybody else. If they can't they can create gated communities and cloister themselves off.

by Anonymousreply 90August 19, 2018 9:36 PM

There is no such thing as transgender. Now drag queen is another thing entirely. Gays and lesbians made a huge mistake by allowing the mentally ill to piggyback on their hard fought recognition. Think about it, have you ever wanted your penis cut off? As far as the baker goes, his business, he can deny service to anyone he wants, IMO.

by Anonymousreply 91August 19, 2018 10:22 PM

Then #91, he should put that in all his advertising materials: "I only create masterpieces that I want to. Please call first to determine if you are on my approved customer list. Thank you, and God bless".

by Anonymousreply 92August 19, 2018 11:07 PM

Why are trannies so hated by the gays?

by Anonymousreply 93August 19, 2018 11:11 PM

Something smells, and it isn't icing. Trannies, plain gays, rich WASPs, baker can not make cakes for any he wants. Who put this in the papers?

by Anonymousreply 94August 19, 2018 11:39 PM

HE Looks like a hobo why would anyone want one of his cakes? He probably smells like urine

by Anonymousreply 95August 19, 2018 11:49 PM

This is just perpetrating the image that gays are unethical bullies. And trannies are considered part of the gay community.

by Anonymousreply 96August 20, 2018 12:09 AM

So this baker is a professional anti-LGBT plaintiff now?

What a huge non-surprise.

Fucking bigots.

by Anonymousreply 97August 20, 2018 12:11 AM

R95 Really ?

by Anonymousreply 98August 20, 2018 12:14 AM

R87 - yes I'm agreeing with you. Reread my post.

by Anonymousreply 99August 21, 2018 1:39 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!