Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Dear DL - you very sweetly taught this Brit how to make American pancakes, many years ago ( at least 10 years)

& I've been making them come rain or shine every Sunday ever since.

I just couldn't get them right before. It was like eating the phone book - (remember the phone book?) and now they're tremendous.

BUT, I have a problem.

After a few months,[bold] I can't clean the frying pan[/bold] (I think you call them skillets). The butter burns on them and it builds up and I try everything but it won't budge.

Is there a trick? A solution?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161February 28, 2019 1:25 PM

Replace it with a non-stick / teflon pan?

by Anonymousreply 1August 9, 2018 4:36 PM

I've used teflon pans, R1.

by Anonymousreply 2August 9, 2018 4:38 PM

What's the problem exactly? Are you using a Teflon griddle (basically a flat pan with no sides)? You don't need to use butter or oil or spray oil on it.

by Anonymousreply 3August 9, 2018 4:49 PM

[quote]Are you using a Teflon griddle (basically a flat pan with no sides)?

Yes.

[quote]You don't need to use butter or oil or spray oil on it.

I don't add oil to the recipe.

I guess that's my mistake.

by Anonymousreply 4August 9, 2018 4:53 PM

I'd better start doing so.

by Anonymousreply 5August 9, 2018 4:54 PM

[quote]I guess that's my mistake.

Yup.

by Anonymousreply 6August 9, 2018 4:56 PM

Use Pam or similar non-stick spray, even if using a Teflon pan.

by Anonymousreply 7August 9, 2018 4:56 PM

Do you use maple syrup? Are pancakes popular on your side of the pond?

by Anonymousreply 8August 9, 2018 4:57 PM

Slightly off topic: I also make pancakes every Sunday and I have three kinds of skillets but I only use the stainless steel or the cast iron. The 3rd pan is T-Fal non-stick but I don't like how the pancakes come out on that. My nitpick is that the surface of the pancake is too smooth. Weird, I know. I will not use the nonstick for grilled cheese either, for the same reason. It's like the food has no "character" when it comes off non-stick.

I know, I think too much. But, luckily, none of my pans have this mystery buildup that OP gets.

by Anonymousreply 9August 9, 2018 4:58 PM

I'd suggest purchasing a cast iron skillet, but you've had very good luck for ten years with teflon.

Are you giving the skillet enough time to heat up properly?

Hold it! Brits are experiencing a record heat wave.

OP, go to a store and purchase "cinnamon toast crunch", "Whole pasteurized milk", and a loose pair of stretchy pants. You may need to borrow a bowl.

Enjoy!

by Anonymousreply 10August 9, 2018 5:01 PM

Cast iron is great, but it's a pain to keep up. You have to keep it well seasoned and it's not recommended that you wash it.

by Anonymousreply 11August 9, 2018 5:06 PM

[quote]Cast iron is great, but it's a pain to keep up. You have to keep it well seasoned and it's not recommended that you wash it.

You can wash a cast iron pan in water, but DON'T use any kind of soap, detergent or cleaner on it. If something has really burned on to the pan, fill it about a third full of water, put it on the stove and bring the water to a boil. Pour the water out and use a rag to clean and dry the pan.

by Anonymousreply 12August 9, 2018 5:15 PM

All pancake recipes have some kind of fat in them.

If you're really desperate to clean the pan you will have to deglaze it with alcohol before you clean it, get it dry as fast as possible and re-oil/re-season.

[quote]nitpick is that the surface of the pancake is too smooth

Agreed. It gives them a weird finish/texture. Feels artificial.

by Anonymousreply 13August 9, 2018 5:18 PM

[quote]You can wash a cast iron pan in water,

You CAN, but it's not recommended because it rusts the iron.

by Anonymousreply 14August 9, 2018 5:18 PM

alcohol/acid

by Anonymousreply 15August 9, 2018 5:22 PM

How do you clean your nonstick pan? I don't put nonstick pans in the dishwasher. After a while they lose their nonstick properties even though they look perfectly fine. I rinse with hot water (soaking for a while if necessary) and wipe with a soft cloth. (Paper towels are too rough.)

Sometimes the food itself that you're cooking will scratch the nonstick surface, so I have a nonstick pan that I use only for eggs and pancakes, nothing else.

by Anonymousreply 16August 9, 2018 5:25 PM

My cast iron pans have been washed after every use with soap and water for nearly 100 years. See one of the recent threads on cast iron pans.

I make pancakes in mine, sometimes use bacon fat if I have any. The pancakes have just a hint of crispness on the outside but are still light and fluffy.

OP, if you are burning the butter you have the heat too high.

by Anonymousreply 17August 9, 2018 5:25 PM

[quote] The pancakes have just a hint of crispness on the outside but are still light and fluffy.

How nice!

Any other tricks to add to those I was given all those years ago.

[quote]OP, if you are burning the butter you have the heat too high.

I'll lower the temp.

by Anonymousreply 18August 9, 2018 5:31 PM

Also thanks for all the advice everyone.

I'll re-read and take it all in.

I love when my pancakes look all smooth, like they do in coffee shops in the USA. I consider it a triumph. I guess they rarely do due to the butter burning away in the pan.

by Anonymousreply 19August 9, 2018 5:33 PM

I know - which sort of oil do you add to your pancake recipes? - or do you add melted butter....and how much? I make 3 pancakes (a stack) I think I'm meant to use a tablespoon of oil, right?

by Anonymousreply 20August 9, 2018 5:35 PM

[quote] Is there a trick?

There's ALWAYS a trick!

by Anonymousreply 21August 9, 2018 5:36 PM

Yesterday, they were selling this syrup at Wholefoods V. cheap so I bought some to try. I think it's American. Usually I use maple syrup.

What do you make of THIS ? >>

(sorry, so many questions in a row).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22August 9, 2018 5:39 PM

[quote]I know - which sort of oil do you add to your pancake recipes? - or do you add melted butter..

Oddly enough, vegetable oil seems to work better than butter. Or you can use a vegetable shortening that's melted. No lard. Butter works, but that seems to be more of a finishing touch when serving pancakes.

by Anonymousreply 23August 9, 2018 5:43 PM

[quote]I'd suggest purchasing a cast iron skillet, but you've had very good luck for ten years with teflon. Are you giving the skillet enough time to heat up properly?

Maybe not. How long do You give it?

[quote]Hold it! Brits are experiencing a record heat wave.

It ended yesterday.

by Anonymousreply 24August 9, 2018 5:43 PM

I'm weird, but I prefer synthetic syrup over pure maple syrup. The pure stuff is too strong. But how have you been making them perfectly for ten years and never adding a fat to them? And blueberries added to the batter is a must for me.

by Anonymousreply 25August 9, 2018 5:43 PM

A thinner batter will make them more smooth. Too much fat on the pan will also make them unevenly coloured.

That pancake syrup is just table sugar with colouring. Same thing as "table syrup," a term which was probably invented because it reads like "maple syrup". Nothing wrong with it, I suppose, if that's to your liking. But it adds nothing to the party other than sweetness. If you're used to maple syrup, stick with it. Grade B is the most flavourful.

by Anonymousreply 26August 9, 2018 5:43 PM

R22 : Gross. Buy maple syrup or make your own syrup with whole spices.

by Anonymousreply 27August 9, 2018 5:44 PM

Grade B is the most flavourful. <-- Why?

by Anonymousreply 28August 9, 2018 5:44 PM

R12 - it's a myth that you can't wash cast iron in soap.

Bad idea to use Pam on your non-stick cookware. It burns at a lower temperature and can damage the cookware.

by Anonymousreply 29August 9, 2018 5:47 PM

[quote]Oddly enough, vegetable oil seems to work better than butter.

Interesting - can you recommend which one?

[quote]Or you can use a vegetable shortening that's melted.

I'm not sure what that is.

by Anonymousreply 30August 9, 2018 5:47 PM

[quote]A thinner batter will make them more smooth. Too much fat on the pan will also make them unevenly coloured.

Thank you.

I tend to make them as thick as possible. More American.

by Anonymousreply 31August 9, 2018 5:48 PM

I occasionally get a craving for blueberry syrup on pancakes (basically just blueberries cooked down with water and sugar).

by Anonymousreply 32August 9, 2018 5:51 PM

Personally, I hate adding any sort of fruit to pancakes.

by Anonymousreply 33August 9, 2018 5:52 PM

[quote]I'm weird, but I prefer synthetic syrup over pure maple syrup. The pure stuff is too strong. But how have you been making them perfectly for ten years and never adding a fat to them?

I don't know. They are a bit STIFF, in fact.

by Anonymousreply 34August 9, 2018 5:53 PM

Best trick I've ever heard for removing burned or baked on food from pans - Easy off oven cleaner.

Just use a little. Let set. then wipe off with paper, then wash the pan with soap.

by Anonymousreply 35August 9, 2018 5:56 PM

[quote]If you're used to maple syrup, stick with it. Grade B is the most flavourful.

Fantastic, I'll try to get some.

Just checked, I have Grade A.

by Anonymousreply 36August 9, 2018 5:57 PM

[quote]Best trick I've ever heard for removing burned or baked on food from pans - Easy off oven cleaner. Just use a little. Let set. then wipe off with paper, then wash the pan with soap.

Thank you. I'll try it.

It's just that I bought yet another new one yesterday and I want it to have a long life - hence this thread.

by Anonymousreply 37August 9, 2018 5:58 PM

r28 r36 You can tell just by tasting. As to why, I think it's because traditionally maple syrup was graded according to how much it resembled plain sugar. Hence, a higher grade meant less maple flavour. But if I'm not mistaken, names have been changed so that all four grades are now called Grade A, if that makes any sense! Grade B is now called Grade A Dark Colo(u)r and Robust Flavo(u)r. (I still refer to it as Grade B because when the names changed, I just looked for the one that the same colour/flavour.)

by Anonymousreply 38August 9, 2018 6:00 PM

^that had the same colour/flavour.

by Anonymousreply 39August 9, 2018 6:01 PM

[quote]Grade B is now called Grade A Dark Colo(u)r and Robust Flavo(u)r.

That's what I have. I do prefer a dark maple syrup.

I used to look out for Vermont, but I now find it too sweet.

by Anonymousreply 40August 9, 2018 6:02 PM

Do any of you use Buckwheat?

I love Buckwheat.

3/4 Buckwheat 1/4 white flour is what I tend to use in my recipe.

by Anonymousreply 41August 9, 2018 6:04 PM

OP/r40 Then I suggest you stick with it because, if that's what you're used to, pancake syrup will taste just like molasses-y table sugar.

OP/r41 Buckwheat is really really great with chocolate chip pancakes. A sprinkling of toasted walnuts along with maple syrup completes the flavour profile.

by Anonymousreply 42August 9, 2018 6:08 PM

[quote]Is there a trick?

Only if you're nasty!

by Anonymousreply 43August 9, 2018 6:17 PM

[quote]I love when my pancakes look all smooth, like they do in coffee shops in the USA.

In many coffee shops and diners, it's a bit different because they are working off grills rather than using pans. They have a bigger heated area to work with.

by Anonymousreply 44August 9, 2018 6:22 PM

Don't cook your pancakes in butter. Cook them with a high-smoking point oil on the griddle. Use butter as a condiment afterwards. Butter burns at a relatively low temperature - a lower temperature than most people cook pancaked at

by Anonymousreply 45August 9, 2018 6:38 PM

I use a non-stick skillet and just rub a little vegetable oil on it while it’s heating. You may need to rub between batches. Add butter at the end of frying onto each cake. Just a pat.

by Anonymousreply 46August 9, 2018 6:42 PM

This hotel, not in the US, used to serve mini pancakes. I think they put a pitcher of honey out, but I don't like honey so I'd butter them, take a raw sugar packet and sprinkle on top, then add the juice of a couple lemon slices that were set out for the tea. Really tasty.

by Anonymousreply 47August 9, 2018 6:55 PM

[quote]Don't cook your pancakes in butter.

No, I won't. Actually a lot of recipes tell you to use butter that's why I've been doing it all this time.

But I'm glad I posted a question about this.

[quote] Cook them with a high-smoking point oil on the griddle

A 'high-smoking point oil ' - goodness. I'll have to look up what that is.

Anyway, thank you all so much for the info. GREATLY appreciated. Can't wait to try all this out!

by Anonymousreply 48August 9, 2018 7:25 PM

Canola is a good choice for those who need high(er) smoke points.

by Anonymousreply 49August 9, 2018 7:28 PM

Cinnamon Toast Crunch pairs with a sativa very nicely in hot August, OP.

by Anonymousreply 50August 9, 2018 7:30 PM

What do you mean "smoke points"?

by Anonymousreply 51August 9, 2018 7:30 PM

[quote]Cinnamon Toast Crunch pairs with a sativa very nicely in hot August, OP.

I have to avoid that stuff. Firstly I have to go to a place that imports it - then, I adore anything with Cinnamon so much I'd end up binging on it.

In fact, I add cinnamon to my pancake recipe or vanilla, less frequently.

Cinnamon is VERY American.

by Anonymousreply 52August 9, 2018 7:33 PM

Get one of these 3-pan gizmos:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53August 9, 2018 7:36 PM

It removes the lining of the roof of your mouth in a delightful way, OP.

by Anonymousreply 54August 9, 2018 7:36 PM

You should not use soap to wash a cast iron skillet. You can clean it by making a good thick paste of kosher salt and scrubbing. After you’re done, dry it really well or put it in the oven to steam off any excess moisture (so the pan doesn’t rust). Apply a few drops of vegetable oil, rub it into the pan, and you should be good to go again.

by Anonymousreply 55August 9, 2018 7:37 PM

I'm slightly overwhelmed by all this information. I was spinning earlier. I had to go and lie down.

by Anonymousreply 56August 9, 2018 7:39 PM

So many questions. Gurl, I Aunt Jemima.

by Anonymousreply 57August 9, 2018 7:39 PM

I have a medium-quality Martha Stewart stainless steel skillet that I use in various ways - frying, sauteing, boiling corn on the cob.

I noticed this sticky thin film that is appears on the interior surface after frying on medium/high flame. I figured out that the cooking oil I use basically turns into this sticky goo that doesn't break down if it's washed using regular dish soap and a sponge (I don't have a dishwasher). Even one of those green scrubber things doesn't take it all off - it just smears around. I have to use steel wool to clean it. I wonder if this is what's happening to you - the fat is burning into the metal.

by Anonymousreply 58August 9, 2018 8:06 PM

OP, how do you turn your pancakes over? If you really want them the "American" way you need to flip them in the pan.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59August 9, 2018 8:08 PM

[quote] I wonder if this is what's happening to you - the fat is burning into the metal.

Yes, I think that is exactly what is happening to me.

by Anonymousreply 60August 9, 2018 8:11 PM

If you season your pan properly dish soap won't harm a cast iron pan. The heat required for proper seasoning changes the chemical nature of oil. It bonds with the surface of the cast iron pan not with the dish detergent.

R58 - not sure what your problem is as you must heat a cast iron pan on high until smokes to properly season.

by Anonymousreply 61August 10, 2018 1:54 AM

r58 is talking about a stainless steel pan, not cast iron.

by Anonymousreply 62August 10, 2018 3:31 AM

It's time to get a new nonstick griddle or a large frying/saute pan, and skip the frustration. The "new and improved" cookware really isn't any better than most of the old stuff. Ideally, you should cook on medium heat. Takes longer but be patient, and you'll get more mileage from your cookware.

by Anonymousreply 63August 10, 2018 3:45 AM

If you feel the need to oil your skillet or griddle, pour a small amount of vegetable oil onto the pan surface, and distribute with a napkin or a paper towel. It's just enough to lightly coat the surface, and is easily washed away without leaving any residue. But do start off with a new pan, OP......it's time.

by Anonymousreply 64August 10, 2018 3:58 AM

High smoke point oil = neutral refined oil, such as soy, canola, corn, whatever is popular where you live. Butter tastes better. Clarified butter would be best if you can manage it. You won't have nearly as much residue in the pan. The residue is from the solids in the butter.

Shortening = vegetable suet. Do they have Crisco in the UK?

Pancake Syrup = Much more popular in the US than maple syrup, which is an expensive regional item.

Burned on grease = Clean with a rag dipped in ammonia, or use oven cleaner.

Stir a tablespoon or two of melted butter into your pancake batter. Traditional, tastes better.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65August 10, 2018 5:12 AM

OP - if you want to be sure of holding on to your man - then I strongly recommend Pancakes Barbara!

by Anonymousreply 66August 10, 2018 6:37 AM

Oz DL-er here OP!

Pancakes aren’t nearly as big a thing here in Australia as they are in the US. And I’ve had very mixed offerings in restaurants, cafes and hotel buffets here compared to the superior ones I’ve had in the US when I’ve visited in the past.

I make them at home now sometimes - and this is my favourite recipe. Reichl was the restaurant critic for the LA Times then the New York Times - then the editor at the American Gourmet magazine. The recipe is fabulous - but uses a fuck-ton or butter. Which is why it’s so good. But also why I only make it occasionally! An American stick of butter is around 115 grams. Enjoy!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67August 10, 2018 6:48 AM

I rather hate them and do not make them.

by Anonymousreply 68August 10, 2018 10:10 AM

Thank you for all the explanations, R65.

When it comes to cooking and the kitchen UK/US English really are a totally different language. The words, the measurements, everything.

and again, thank you everyone else for your advice and links. I'm going to have quite a time this Sunday incorporating all this advice.

and now I'm going to rescue some of my old pans/skillets.

by Anonymousreply 69August 10, 2018 10:38 AM

[quote]Pancakes aren’t nearly as big a thing here in Australia as they are in the US. And I’ve had very mixed offerings in restaurants, cafes and hotel buffets here compared to the superior ones I’ve had in the US when I’ve visited in the past.

American pancakes are starting to appear in places that do breakfast, here in London - my God, they're uniformly terrible. I saw some a couple of days ago. I wish I'd taken a photo.

by Anonymousreply 70August 10, 2018 10:42 AM

Actually, r67 - that recipe you linked. It's very easy to make things taste great with a ton of butter and sugar, as she has done. My cooking style is to cut down on the calories as much as possible and still make something that tastes great. I don't even use a whole T spoon of sugar. I use cinnamon for sweetness also the maple syrup is sweet enough....as a sweetener.

But clearly not using oil in the recipe has been my downfall...and I've paid the price with my pans.

by Anonymousreply 71August 10, 2018 10:49 AM

This is my go-to recipe for pancakes, butter is optional I find.

When the batter burns into the pan, it can be a matter of the pan's temperature - not heated up properly when you put the oil on or too hot with not enough oil. If this is an issue, put the pan on medium and wait a few minutes for it to heat up before putting any batter on.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72August 10, 2018 11:30 AM

*sorry, before putting any oil on, wait several seconds after that before putting the batter on.

by Anonymousreply 73August 10, 2018 11:33 AM

OP, while you may not like fruit with pancakes, blueberries are not your only option. While I personally love the contrast of the blueberry flavor with that of maple syrup, some find the taste too cloying. Have you tried sliced bananas and crumbled walnut pieces? I love the aroma and taste of those and usually just eat them with slathered butter and no syrup.

Also, have you tried varying the amount of liquid in your batter to see how that changes your pancakes? A thinner batter will result in thin cakes with crispy edges, while a thicker batter will result in pancakes that do not spread as much on the griddle but will rise more, giving them a cakier texture (these are spongy and will soak up all syrup you put on it. I make both kind depending on my mood at the time.

For me, when you serve pancakes you also serve crispy bacon on the side. Some of the maple syrup will sometimes make its way to the nearest slice resulting in a mix of flavors I like very much. Follow up with a mug of strong coffee and for a brief moment life is absolute bliss.

by Anonymousreply 74August 10, 2018 11:43 AM

[quote]But clearly not using oil in the recipe has been my downfall...and I've paid the price with my pans.

Without really knowing your situation, OP, I'll venture to guess that maybe you've just heated your non-stick pan up too many times, and the coating is now having some kind of chemical reaction. They die eventually. It's a pan issue, not a cooking issue.

Solution: buy a new pan.

by Anonymousreply 75August 10, 2018 11:45 AM

To test the griddle for the right temperature, dip your finger into water and flick it onto the slightly oiled surface. If the drops instantly hiss into little beads that dance on the surface, you’ve got it just right. Also, even though I’ve made pancakes for decades now, the very first pancake always comes out pale and ugly (even when I’m sure I have the hear correct). Yet the next ones put on immediately after taking off the first will be perfect. Go figure. My dog loves this outcome as the first pancake always goes to him.

by Anonymousreply 76August 10, 2018 11:52 AM

^^^heat, not hear

by Anonymousreply 77August 10, 2018 11:53 AM

OP, on those peaceful pancake mornings, might I suggest you have The Sea and Cake playing during your breakfast? You wont' regret it for a relaxing l Sunday mornings.

by Anonymousreply 78August 10, 2018 11:56 AM

R76, what type of griddle do you use?

by Anonymousreply 79August 10, 2018 11:57 AM

How are people frying or sauteeing without some kind of fat? That sounds awfully!

I use a 50/50 mix of butter and safflower oil to fry the pancakes. The oil keeps it from burning too quickly and the butter adds flavor.

If you have a good pan and the right temperature, nothing sticks and you get nice color and texture.

by Anonymousreply 80August 10, 2018 11:57 AM

R76, that’s so true! The first pancake is always a loss.

by Anonymousreply 81August 10, 2018 11:58 AM

My comment is not really about pancakes, but about pans. I've found those new white ceramic nonstick ones to be phenomenal for only a short amount of time, then everything burns in it. I've bought 3 of various quality, and they all suck after a short while. I bought another fry pan that looks like it's got a pebble-like bottom (but it's smooth to the touch) and it seems to be holding up much better. OP, I think I missed what kind of pan you were using, but I would try a different one with a lower heat next time and see if that helps, especially since you've been making them for a while with no trouble.

by Anonymousreply 82August 10, 2018 12:00 PM

Another old song with pancakes mentioned in the griddle. It’s corny and goofy but fun...although one hearing will go a long way.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83August 10, 2018 12:03 PM

R74, I was hoping to blow OP's mind with bananas Foster, but all my recipes call for like 350 grams (cup) of brown sugar per 20 people.

My order of operations at work and at home is to start the skillet (tilt or stovetop) before assembling ingredients. When I add oil, it does a little dance as I spread it evenly with a spatula (OP, in the US this is when some asshole in your kitchen starts playing Billy Joel's "Movin' Out" on the radio and then you banish them).

by Anonymousreply 84August 10, 2018 12:09 PM

Non-stick cookware is (mostly) crap. Our grandparents managed rather well without it.

Cast iron can't be beat. Properly seasoned, it's naturally non-stick..that's also why you don't have to wash it, everything wipes out with a towel. There's no mystery to seasoning, my Gran' taught me how to do it properly as a grade schooler. Many of us were also fortunate to grow up with an O'Keefe & Merritt range and it's built-in aluminum griddle. Gran' made 40 years of breakfasts on hers. With proper cooking fats (bacon fat or butter, thamks, PAM is for teenage huffers) nothing ever stuck to it.

And any pancake recipe that doesn't include melted butter isn't worth cooking. Some of you cholesterol! shriekers need to chuck your outdated dietary advice. We never had margarine or vegetable oil in our cooking and thank goodness for that.

by Anonymousreply 85August 10, 2018 12:14 PM

[quote]Another old song with pancakes mentioned in the griddle. It’s corny and goofy but fun

It's fun. Real Americana...and I love words like corny and goofy.

"Cakes on the griddle" - how delicious and "homey" (another American word I like) does that sound?

[quote]...although one hearing will go a long way.

Yes. I probably won't listen to it again. Maybe wait a few years.

by Anonymousreply 86August 10, 2018 12:17 PM

Ruth's recipe is super super rich, if you like that sort of thing.

Standard is 3T oil our butter or shortening per cup of flour, with 2tsp of baking powder.

by Anonymousreply 87August 10, 2018 1:18 PM

Does anyone know how long pancake batter will last in the fridge? I'm a single person and I can usually only eat 1, maybe 2, pancakes in a sitting. But all the recipes I've seen are family sized and make too much. Or should I make the pancakes, let them cool and then freeze them?

by Anonymousreply 88August 10, 2018 1:30 PM

Anything with baking powder needs to be made right away.

You can cut the standard recipe to 1/2 cup flour, etc and see how that works for you.

by Anonymousreply 89August 10, 2018 2:04 PM

For R88: Here's a hint only if you are open to using the Complete style boxed pancake mix. I'm single also and I learned a trick to making pancakes for myself without following the measurements on the box and ending up with extra. You can start with 1/2 or 3/4 cup of mix, depending on how hungry you are. Then you slowly start adding water, and stirring. Keep adding until you get a batter the consistency of, well, pancake batter. You can add more/less water depending if you like your cakes thick or thinner.

I've been doing this method for years - I don't even measure, I just eyeball the powdered mix into a bowl and add water from the tap while stirring. I like 2-3 big pancakes and I estimate that 3/4 cup of mix will yield that. You may have to play around with amounts till you find your perfect numbers.

by Anonymousreply 90August 10, 2018 3:05 PM

r90 Finally, someone helpful.

by Anonymousreply 91August 10, 2018 3:06 PM

[quote][R90] Finally, someone helpful.

Someone who says gets "Complete style boxed pancake mix" and adds water from the tap?

by Anonymousreply 92August 10, 2018 4:56 PM

Yeah, that's kind of the point. This thread has been so useless, that is actually a help for the OP's actual problem.

by Anonymousreply 93August 10, 2018 5:02 PM

That was back when Britain was an ally. No more secrets for you! Besides, we’re switching to blinis.

by Anonymousreply 94August 10, 2018 5:03 PM

Adding water little by little forces you to work the gluten in the pancake mix more than you have to, resulting in tougher pancakes. Maybe not necessarily tough (store-bought mixes tend to go heavy on the baking powder), but tougher.

by Anonymousreply 95August 10, 2018 5:53 PM

[quote]Yeah, that's kind of the point. This thread has been so useless, that is actually a help for the OP's actual problem.

There has always got to be one asshole who comes into a nice thread and shits all over it.

by Anonymousreply 96August 10, 2018 9:29 PM

Buttermilk makes good pancakes.

by Anonymousreply 97August 10, 2018 9:55 PM

Sorry, "absolute bliss" queen. We can't all be "absolute bliss" queens.

by Anonymousreply 98August 10, 2018 9:56 PM

R93, if you read the OP, the question is this:

[quote]After a few months, I can't clean the frying pan (I think you call them skillets). The butter burns on them and it builds up and I try everything but it won't budge.

R90 is addressing a different question asked by R88.

by Anonymousreply 99August 10, 2018 10:00 PM

r97 Absolutely! Unfortunately, some choose to neutralize its wonderful tartness with baking soda. What's the point, then? If you want additional leavening, just add a little more baking powder. (Or separate the eggs and whip up the whites.)

by Anonymousreply 100August 10, 2018 10:05 PM

OP here.

Sunday breakfast arrived and I made the pancakes incorporating some of the advice given above. I added sunflower oil to the mixture and did not use butter.

No more burnt butter on the pan (yay!) and they tasted very good. I used 3/4 cup buckwheat & 1/4 white flour - hence the dark look.

Decided to take a.few pics to post here for you to inspect.

They don't LOOK very professional. I don't know why they don't have the smooth perfect look that some of you say you hate. But as I said they tasted very love. Anyway, here goes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101August 12, 2018 4:03 PM

pic # 2

close-up/detail

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102August 12, 2018 4:04 PM

The lines are odd, aren't they? The look sort of shell like.

Maybe it's the way I pour the batter onto the pan.

by Anonymousreply 103August 12, 2018 4:06 PM

**But as I said they tasted very love.

I don't know what I meant to say there - but not love. But love will do.

by Anonymousreply 104August 12, 2018 4:08 PM

If you click on the photos ^^ and then click again you can see them in great detail.

by Anonymousreply 105August 12, 2018 4:11 PM

Those look perfect, R101.

by Anonymousreply 106August 12, 2018 5:02 PM

Oh, good - thank you, R106.

by Anonymousreply 107August 12, 2018 5:11 PM

"A 'high-smoking point oil ' - goodness. I'll have to look up what that is."

Grape seed oil is another. It doesn't taste like grapes, squeamish ones.

As for all of you with non-stick pan troubles, why don't you just buy the cheap $10-20 ones and replace them when they start acting up? I get mine at the Christmas Tree Store or Target.

by Anonymousreply 108August 12, 2018 5:26 PM

Looks great, OP. Kudos for proving to the losers that you're not just trolling.

Next time, pour the batter in a thin stream at only one spot on the pan (the centre is best, of course) and let it spread out on its own. You shouldn't have to do it with your cooking utensil. The batter should spread out quite quickly and freely. If it doesn't, it's probably too thick (it won't spread out on its own) or the heat is on too high (the batter cooks before it can spread out). Doing it this way will give you the roundest edges and the most even colour.

My guess is your heat is on too high and the pan did not have enough time to preheat. More of the heat is concentrated at the centre. Also, maybe you didn't spread out your oil evenly (with maybe a paper towel or something, as has been suggested above). I'm just guessing, I could be wrong.

You flipped each pancake only once, right?

by Anonymousreply 109August 12, 2018 5:30 PM

[quote]Looks great, OP. Kudos for proving to the losers that you're not just trolling.

I don't think there WERE any losers suggesting I was trolling.

by Anonymousreply 110August 12, 2018 5:32 PM

[quote]Next time, pour the batter in a thin stream at only one spot on the pan (the centre is best, of course) and let it spread out on its own. You shouldn't have to do it with your cooking utensil. The batter should spread out quite quickly and freely. If it doesn't, it's probably too thick (it won't spread out on its own) or the heat is on too high (the batter cooks before it can spread out). Doing it this way will give you the roundest edges and the most even colour.

I see. OK. Yes, the batter is very thick..it sort of globs on. I'll make sure it's thin enough to POUR in future....and thank you. I'll follow your advice and post pics next time

[quote]You flipped each pancake only once, right?

Yes.

[quote] Also, maybe you didn't spread out your oil evenly

No, I add it to the batter.

by Anonymousreply 111August 12, 2018 5:35 PM

[quote]No, I add it to the batter.

The pan could use some as well. Just a thin film, spread around with a paper towel. And don't oil with each pancake. The first one you cook after you oil always comes out looking worst.

Mind you, you're just gilding the lily (in a good way) at this point. Those pancakes look great.

by Anonymousreply 112August 12, 2018 5:43 PM

[quote]Mind you, you're just gilding the lily (in a good way) at this point. Those pancakes look great.

You're VERY kind, but I'm looking for perfection.

by Anonymousreply 113August 12, 2018 5:50 PM

I'd also like to add that I used the oven cleaner trick on my old pan and yes, it WORKED!

So another thank you for that advice too.

by Anonymousreply 114August 12, 2018 5:53 PM

They look very brown OP. Most US pancakes are blonder than that. I would definitely try thinning the batter a bit like someone suggested. When you pour them they should spread themselves out.

by Anonymousreply 115August 12, 2018 6:14 PM

Not to be contrarian, but I've never cared for traditional American pancakes or pancake syrup. When I make pancakes, I make them with cornmeal. I just beat one or two eggs (depending on how hungry I am) with a bit of water, then add the cornmeal, slowly, until I get the batter to the correct consistency. Heat a skillet before adding any oil or butter. Once the skillet is hot, I spray some cooking spray, then add a bit of butter, and as soon as the butter is melted, and I've swirled it all about the skillet, I pour in the batter. When the tops no longer look wet, then flip them. I like to top them with some blueberry preserves.

by Anonymousreply 116August 12, 2018 6:18 PM

He makes them with buckwheat, R115.

by Anonymousreply 117August 12, 2018 6:19 PM

[quote]They look very brown OP.

I said it's BUCKWHEAT.

by Anonymousreply 118August 12, 2018 6:19 PM

SORRY! I MISSED THE BUCKWHEAT REFERENCE!

Geesh. Touchy touchy.

by Anonymousreply 119August 12, 2018 6:31 PM

I was bored with my regular pancakes and decided to add in some things for a new experience. I tried cornmeal once cause I had some on hand and Cream of Wheat another time, after seeing something about CoW pancakes being on the menu at some IHOP's.

I went the lazy route and just added about 2-3 tablespoonfuls of the cornmeal and CoW into my regular prepared batter - I let them sit awhile so the grains could moisten/absorb into the batter. Unfortunately, both grains made the pancakes thick and dense and not delightful. The CoW also got gluey - I felt stuffed and bloated after just 2 med. sized cakes. Maybe in the future I'll use a recipe where you use those ingredients from scratch.

by Anonymousreply 120August 12, 2018 11:22 PM

Eat shit and die!!

by Anonymousreply 121August 12, 2018 11:33 PM

The kids like mini chocolate chips or mini Reese's Pieces in their pancakes.

Who am I to argue?

They also like PB&J waffle sandwiches.

by Anonymousreply 122August 13, 2018 4:20 AM

R117 I made pancakes with Buckwheat once.

I didn't like the pancakes, and I didn't like his crazy hair. And he talks funny.

by Anonymousreply 123August 13, 2018 4:24 AM

These comments about pancakes and pans reminded me of growing up in the 60s. Our stove had a built in griddle, which was excellent for making big batches of pancakes and bacon/sausage for our 7 member family. It was a heavy slab of metal that was fitted into the top of the stove, that you lifted out and laid over two burners to use it. As a kid, I liked to help make the pancakes - it was quality family time.

Even though I live alone, I get nostalgic and wish I had a nice griddle whenever I make pancakes in my skillet. Then I talk myself out of spending money on such a one use item when my pan does an excellent job.

by Anonymousreply 124August 13, 2018 3:11 PM

They used to sell frozen prepared pancake batter - just thaw and cook. Now I use the just add water powder.

by Anonymousreply 125August 13, 2018 3:52 PM

I get disgusted when I see that Bisquick pancake mix in the shaker bottle - it's a container with Bisquick powder, you add water, shake it and pour out the batter. That container is small - it looks like you'd get about 2 servings out of it. What a waste of material that will more than likely end up in landfills. Maybe the yokels who buy it will recycle.

Get a big box of Bisquick and pour it into a bowl or reuse a milk container if you must fulfill the need to shake.

by Anonymousreply 126August 13, 2018 4:51 PM

i am having a hard time understanding the post. what kind of pan are you cooking in? and you are making buckwheat pancakes?

these answers about using vegetable oil are really weird. not to mention, they are actually less healthy than butter for your arteries (just read nutrition book by a doctor).

if you are putting things in the batter beyond the standard flour and such, you may have to adjust your fluid/dry ratios and your pan temperature accordingly (contrary to common wisdom, you can get good cakes from lower temps, especially thicker/fluffier ones). similarly if you want different sizes and textures in the finished pancake. but i have never been unable to achieve an edible result with cast iron and butter (both in the batter and on the skillet), and cleaning cast iron is no mystery, even if it has some kind of build-up.

by Anonymousreply 127August 13, 2018 8:04 PM

Do a Search, Bitch

by Anonymousreply 128August 13, 2018 8:14 PM

^nevermind

by Anonymousreply 129August 13, 2018 8:14 PM

[quote]As a kid, I liked to help make the pancakes

A dollface.

by Anonymousreply 130August 13, 2018 8:19 PM

One thing I'm certain of is that the average from scratch pancakes on the average American breakfast table is probably shit. (This is not in reference to people posting on this thread).

Pancake making is extremely temperamental - just as I think I've got a handle on it, I fluff it

Please continue.

by Anonymousreply 131August 13, 2018 8:22 PM

[quote]Dear DL - you very sweetly taught this Brit how to make American pancakes, many years ago ( at least 10 years) & I've been making them come rain or shine every Sunday ever since.

That's why you type fat.

by Anonymousreply 132August 13, 2018 9:20 PM

so hilarious and original, R132.

you type THICK.

by Anonymousreply 133August 13, 2018 9:55 PM

Also, OP, use the batter shortly after preparing it as that will allow the pancakes to spread more thinly and evenly. If you let it stand for ten minutes or more, you will find it has magically thickened. I’m guessing it’s because of the baking powder’s continuing action producing carbon dioxide into the batter.

by Anonymousreply 134August 15, 2018 10:43 AM

The greatest pancakes I've ever had are made at a local diner and are described as 'oatmeal buttermilk'. You can't really taste the oats - I suspect they contribute to the texture more than the flavor - but now that I've had them, plain old buttermilk pancakes seem a bit pallid. There are plenty of oatmeal buttermilk pancake recipes online - I encourage anyone who hasn't to give them a try. They are delicious.

by Anonymousreply 135August 15, 2018 11:30 AM

I had forgotten about this recipe. I only tried it once. It works.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136August 16, 2018 4:40 AM

OP, here.

That's more or less exactly the recipe I use, R136 (sans peanut butter).

But I use 3/4 cup of milk and that uses 1 and 1/4. Interesting. Next Sunday, more milk. I think my batter is way too thick.

Also that recipe uses 2 tablespoons of baking powder. I use just under one. Two, I think it would state metallic.

by Anonymousreply 137August 16, 2018 9:35 AM

The extra milk and baking powder are to counteract the thickness of the peanut butter.

Buckwheat and other whole grains (yeah, I know, buckwheat is technically not a grain) tend to thicken batters too, so you would do well to add a little more milk.

by Anonymousreply 138August 16, 2018 2:17 PM

Yes, I will, R138. So that I can POUR it onto the pan.

Many of the trendy recipes recommend a thick, lumpy batter that you gloop onto the pan.

by Anonymousreply 139August 16, 2018 3:47 PM

The best temperature for the pan is over medium low, and flip when most of the bubbles pop.

by Anonymousreply 140August 17, 2018 4:29 PM

Can we switch the convo to biscuits? I mean American biscuits, not cookies. I love them and make them every once in a while. Not a southerner so I don't have access to the flour sold in that area, which has more/less gluten than flour sold elsewhere. So I use regular AP flour, butter, leavener and milk. I follow the recipe I have to a tee but my dough always comes out very wet, while the recipe says it may be dry and you may have to add more milk. I don't overwork the dough - I've read countless times that this makes biscuits tough.

My biscuits always come out fluffy and dense, not light and full of flaky layers. The texture is heavy and usually very dry - you have to have coffee handy to choke a mouthful down. I found out that this fluffy texture is what something called "cathead" biscuits are like. What am I doing wrong? Any advice?

by Anonymousreply 141August 17, 2018 4:49 PM

NO, R141. I despise biscuits, they taste like cardboard.

by Anonymousreply 142August 17, 2018 5:24 PM

Start a new thread, r141.

by Anonymousreply 143August 17, 2018 5:41 PM

Pancake batter is thinned out coffee cake dough, not thinned out biscuit dough.

by Anonymousreply 144August 17, 2018 6:08 PM

[quote]Can we switch the convo to biscuits?

I'd rather you didn't.

[quote]Start a new thread, [R141].

Thank you, R143

by Anonymousreply 145August 19, 2018 2:46 PM

Anyway...another Sunday and pancakes for breakfast again...incorporating much of what I have learned here.

OUTCOME: wonderful. A lovely lightness I haven't experienced before. Close to perfection.

** I fucked up a little because I forgot the oil and added it at the end, which I think may have affected the leavening factor. But, as I said they tasted great.

AND of course my pan has no more of that burnt butter issue.

So thank you X 100 - for all the advice. I really appreciate it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146August 19, 2018 2:57 PM

As you can see they might not have raised as much as I would have hoped and they are thinner. But as I said they tasted excellent.

I bought this very fancy dark (as recommended) Maple Syrup this week. Maybe a little too fancy and rich, in fact.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147August 19, 2018 3:00 PM

Cooks Illustrated recipe: 1tcup unbleached all-purpose flour 2tteaspoons granulated sugar ½tteaspoon table salt ½tteaspoon baking powder ¼tteaspoon baking soda ¾tcup buttermilk ¼tcup milk (plus an extra tablespoon or so if batter is too thick) 1tlarge egg, separated 2ttablespoons unsalted butter, melted vegetable oil (for brushing griddle)

This batter serves four perfectly for a light weekday breakfast. You may want to double the recipe for weekend pancake making, when appetites are larger. If you happen to be using salted butter or buttermilk, you may want to cut back a bit on the salt. If you don’t have any buttermilk, mix three-quarters cup of room temperature milk with one tablespoon of lemon juice and let it stand for five minutes. Substitute this “clabbered milk” for the three-quarters cup of buttermilk and one-quarter cup of milk in this recipe. Since this milk mixture is not as thick as buttermilk, the batter and resulting pancakes will not be as thick.

1. Mix dry ingredients in medium bowl. Pour buttermilk and milk into 2-cup Pyrex measuring cup. Whisk in egg white; mix yolk with melted butter, then stir into milk mixture. Dump wet ingredients into dry ingredients all at once; whisk until just mixed.

2. Meanwhile, heat griddle or large skillet over strong medium-high heat. Brush griddle generously with oil. When water splashed on surface confidently sizzles, pour batter, about 1/4 cup at a time, onto griddle, making sure not to overcrowd. When pancake bottoms are brown and top surface starts to bubble, 2 to 3 minutes, flip cakes and cook until remaining side has browned, 1 to 2 minutes longer. Re-oil the skillet and repeat for the next batch of pancakes.

by Anonymousreply 148August 19, 2018 3:28 PM

ADDITIONAL COMMENT FROM COOKS ILLUSTRATED:

WHY THIS RECIPE WORKS

When it comes to pancake recipes, we are definite fans of buttermilk, which adds flavor depth and its characteristic tang. After exhaustive testing with chemical leaveners, we opted for a combination of baking powder and baking soda to leaven our pancake recipe. The small amount of baking soda gave the pancakes a coarser crumb and made them light and tender. The baking powder helped with the rise.

by Anonymousreply 149August 19, 2018 3:31 PM

Start your own thread Biscuitina r141.

by Anonymousreply 150August 19, 2018 3:42 PM

OP, Cook's Illustrated has really reliable recipes for mainstay dishes, so r148's is worth trying out.

How does the amount of baking powder relative to flour in r148's recipe compare to yours (all flour, including the buckwheat)? Maybe your recipe could use a bit more baking powder, as buckwheat is a bit "heavy." Just a thought.

But your pancakes are definitely coming along nicely!

by Anonymousreply 151August 19, 2018 6:31 PM

You need sausage or bacon with those pancakes OP. Pancakes without pork is like Lucy without Ethel.

by Anonymousreply 152August 19, 2018 7:24 PM

[quote]How does the amount of baking powder relative to flour in [R148]'s recipe compare to yours (all flour, including the buckwheat)? Maybe your recipe could use a bit more baking powder, as buckwheat is a bit "heavy." Just a thought.

I use just under a T spoon of this (imported) American stuff (@ link)

This is to one cup of flour.

Any more and the pancakes start to taste metallic.

I know many recipes recommend more, but that's my experience.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153August 19, 2018 9:49 PM

[quote]But your pancakes are definitely coming along nicely!

Thank you. Much appreciated.

[quote]You need sausage or bacon with those pancakes OP. Pancakes without pork is like Lucy without Ethel.

I don't really feel the need. Also, it's very hard to get hold of that American/Canadian bacon here. I think I remember in the USA have eggs with them also.

by Anonymousreply 154August 19, 2018 9:52 PM

Crispy edges are the best but usual,y require oil in the pan

by Anonymousreply 155August 19, 2018 10:13 PM

Umm, OP, that's baking soda, not baking powder.

by Anonymousreply 156August 19, 2018 11:41 PM

Baking soda with buttermilk, baking powder with sweet milk.

Soda needs acid to work.

by Anonymousreply 157August 19, 2018 11:51 PM

Here's a long story of my "pancakes from scratch" experience. Looking for advice.

I ran out of boxed pancake mix and looked up recipes to make some from scratch. I've tried twice, using two different recipes, and both times they were sub-par. Both times the batter was really thin and liquid, the flour separated into little balls suspended in the batter instead of incorporating smoothly, and the melted butter turned into little globules when I whisked it into the milk/egg (prior to pouring that into the dry ingredients). The mixture resembled cooked runny oatmeal. When poured into a hot skillet, the mixture spread out thinly and doesn't rise during cooking. On my 2nd attempt I thought the reason for the runny batter may have been that the butter needed to be better mixed in and those butter globs were affecting the finished product, so I waited longer to make sure the melted butter was cooled. I got those same globs when it hit the milk - not as numerous but some.

I decided to add a bit more flour to thicken up the batter, but not enough to make then like lead balloons. The flour didn't do much - I must have added about 1/4 more flour and the batter barely thickened at all. What the hell am I doing wrong? Here's the recipe I followed:

1 cup flour

2 TSP baking powder

2 TBS sugar

1 cup milk

2 TBS butter, melted

1 egg. beaten

Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Stir just until no dry pockets of flour remain, Pour batter onto hot griddle.

by Anonymousreply 158October 14, 2018 4:01 PM

My recipe is more or less the same as yours, R158 - except where you've written 2, I replace with 1.

by Anonymousreply 159February 28, 2019 1:21 PM

R7 you are an idiot- if you use the spray on a teflon pan it causes black marks that do not come off-- wtf do you think a "NON-STICK" pan is?

by Anonymousreply 160February 28, 2019 1:25 PM

OMG are you fat?

by Anonymousreply 161February 28, 2019 1:25 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!