Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Ruthless People is on Sundance right now

Good for a laugh. It's the scene right now where dimbulb Bill Pullman films the wrong guy (the policeman screwing a prostitute).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77June 25, 2021 8:19 PM

"I've been kidnapped by K-Mart!"

by Anonymousreply 1July 18, 2018 8:56 AM

Fun movie and such a great 80s capsule. Would those hideous dresses Helen Slater's character designed have been considered fashionable even in the 80s?

by Anonymousreply 2July 18, 2018 9:18 AM

I love this movie! And I wish it was shown more often on TV.

Bette Midler's best and funniest performance. It was the one time she stopped trying to be appealing, and let her raging inner bitch fly. It was fabulous!

by Anonymousreply 3July 18, 2018 9:24 AM

Nowadays Danny DeVito's mistress would have been cast with somebody much younger

by Anonymousreply 4July 18, 2018 9:25 AM

I loved the decor at the mansion. I'm sick of midcentury modern and hope this replaces it.

by Anonymousreply 5July 18, 2018 9:26 AM

CALL 911! CALL 911!

by Anonymousreply 6July 18, 2018 9:28 AM

Wrong movie, r6

by Anonymousreply 7July 18, 2018 9:50 AM

They don't make comedies this well-scripted anymore. It's also a major studio movie full of "real looking" people. Double rare.

by Anonymousreply 8June 21, 2019 2:01 PM

"I gotta get out of here...I gotta get out of here!!"

"My wife...she's...late for work."

by Anonymousreply 9June 21, 2019 2:07 PM

That sight gag of Bette's character illustrating how she'd cut her husband's balls off and throw them away made my mum cry from laughter.

by Anonymousreply 10June 21, 2019 2:27 PM

I remember really enjoying it. I saw Anita Morris in 9 and she was delightful. Did this sinuous dance wearing a form-fitting leotard kiind of outfit. She was married to Grover Dale, who had a long affair with Tony Perkins.

by Anonymousreply 11June 21, 2019 3:03 PM

My favorite part is the end when she's beating the shit out of DeVito as the cops walk away talking about how in love they must be.

by Anonymousreply 12June 21, 2019 3:51 PM

You know, the ending wouldn't work anymore with all the CSI investigations where the cops find out almost the exact time someone died and where he died originally (when the body was moved).

by Anonymousreply 13June 21, 2019 3:56 PM

Love this movie but I love Outrageous Fortune more.

by Anonymousreply 14June 21, 2019 4:00 PM

I rewound the scene with richard dreyfus fucking many times as a teen. He’s gross now

by Anonymousreply 15June 21, 2019 4:03 PM

It's one of my favorite comedies. I love the scene where Judge Reinhold tells Bette Midler that Danny DeVito refused to pay the ransom, so they reduced it to a smaller amount. Bette in utter sadness says, "I've been marked down?".

Bill Pullman was total hotness in this movie playing the dumb conspirator. He was so stupidly loveable, bad dye job not included.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16June 21, 2019 8:08 PM

I liked the part when she hurled the broom at him and her food tray fell down.

by Anonymousreply 17June 21, 2019 8:15 PM

Hilarious movie.

by Anonymousreply 18June 21, 2019 9:24 PM

I love Barbara's furniture.

by Anonymousreply 19June 21, 2019 9:43 PM

And people wonder why we love the 80s.

by Anonymousreply 20June 21, 2019 10:10 PM

[quote]Bill Pullman was total hotness in this movie playing the dumb conspirator. He was so stupidly loveable,

"And then, we're going to Haiti."

by Anonymousreply 21June 21, 2019 10:45 PM

Ta-hi-ti.

by Anonymousreply 22June 22, 2019 12:39 AM

I thought the funniest part was when Judge Reinhold nearly chloroformed himself while kidnapping Bette.

by Anonymousreply 23June 22, 2019 12:54 AM

Bette Midler cruelly describing to Helen Skater how people are executed iun prison for kidnapping stilkl is one of the funniest scenes I've ever seen in a movie.

"And sometimes... ya just kinda hang on..."

by Anonymousreply 24June 22, 2019 1:13 AM

[quote]I rewound the scene with richard dreyfus fucking many times as a teen.

How odd, given he's not in this movie at all.

by Anonymousreply 25June 22, 2019 1:15 AM

You should write children's books

by Anonymousreply 26June 22, 2019 6:17 AM

I loved Bette's Touchstone movies.

I wish they would release this and Outrageous Fortune on Blu-ray.

by Anonymousreply 27June 22, 2019 6:20 AM

Call me crazy, but I think Ruthless People, Outrageous Fortune, and Big Business make a great Bette Midler comedy movie marathon.

by Anonymousreply 28June 22, 2019 6:50 AM

I was just gonna mention that, R24.

[italic]“Maybe it’s...the chair!”

(Bette mimics being electrocuted)

“Or the gas’s chamber...”

(Bette hisses and then gasps uncontrollably)

“Sometimes...it’s the firing squad...”

(Bette hurls herself against the wall and slides down it slowly)

“Bang! And you don’t die right away! You kinda just....hang on...bleeding...bleeding...BLEEDING...endlessly!”[/italic]

And what she says to Judge is equally hilarious.

[italic]“Cute little butt like that and you’ll be the belle of the ball. Your dance card’ll be filled every day. In the men’s club. The San Quentin country club. You’ll make lots of new, interesting friends. Big, ugly, hairy friends. Only you won’t know what they look like because you’ll be facing...THE OTHER WAY...”[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 29June 22, 2019 6:59 AM

Love the hamburger scene...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30June 22, 2019 7:01 AM

That type of slapstick comedy style should make a comeback.

by Anonymousreply 31June 22, 2019 7:01 AM

❤️ the theme song by Luther Vandross

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32June 22, 2019 7:02 AM

Isn't there a part where Pullman crashes the ransom drop and gets all confused when the police are shouting through the megaphones? God I love that movie, I need to get a copy.

by Anonymousreply 33June 22, 2019 7:09 AM

^Yep.

by Anonymousreply 34June 22, 2019 7:12 AM

Apparently both Midler and Devito were distraught after actually seeing the movie. They thought it would end their careers. I don't care how hammy it is, it works so incredibly well. There were a number of very weird, over-the-top movies in the '80s that shouldn't have worked, but did. I wish the movie industry would take those kinds of chances again.

R15

Are you thinking of Down and Out in Beverly Hills?

by Anonymousreply 35June 22, 2019 7:16 AM

"That sight gag of Bette's character illustrating how she'd cut her husband's balls off and throw them away made my mum cry from laughter."

Did it cause your dad to sleep with one eye open?

by Anonymousreply 36June 22, 2019 7:31 AM

That's my husband!

by Anonymousreply 37June 22, 2019 10:03 AM

Anita Morris was incredible looking.

by Anonymousreply 38June 22, 2019 1:38 PM

I had forgotten about that scene R30. It made laugh again. TY.

by Anonymousreply 39June 22, 2019 5:20 PM

Danny Devito was also laugh-out-loud funny. Such a complete asshole!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40June 22, 2019 5:38 PM

"I had to live with that squealing corpulent toad all these years. God I hate that woman! I hate the way she licks stamps."

by Anonymousreply 41June 22, 2019 5:43 PM

Just watched this again. Utter fun! When the Bedroom Killer tells Bette she looks like his mother I'm surprised she wasn't angry

by Anonymousreply 42August 14, 2019 9:28 PM

I had completely forgotten that Helen Slater is in this. They should have gone with Penelope Ann Miller.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43August 14, 2019 9:42 PM

r32...the "theme" was by Mick Jagger and was called...wait for it...Ruthless People.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44August 14, 2019 9:46 PM

^Forgotten? Nigga, please. PAM couldn’t shine 80s HS’s shoes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45August 14, 2019 9:46 PM

I prefer Luther’s song from the soundtrack

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46August 14, 2019 9:48 PM

They need to release this on Blu-ray.

Hi-def hilarity!

by Anonymousreply 47August 14, 2019 11:46 PM

Anita

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48August 14, 2019 11:57 PM

How bad must Barbara have smelled, working out all that time and losing 20lbs in that one black outfit?

by Anonymousreply 49August 15, 2019 4:56 AM

Anita Morris sang Charmin's Lament in the Magic Show ("It's a Nightmare/being a dream come true"). It contains one of my favourite rhymes ("I've been shocked/and unfrocked/at a Walpurgisnacht"), but they seem to have written the song out in the filmed version, which is all that's on YouTube, and replaced it with this.

At least you can see what she looked like, though this is nearly 10 years after she originated the role.

Another vote for Ruthless People.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50August 15, 2019 5:35 AM

I watched this again tonight.

Thirty-five years later, it still holds up, still as funny as ever. It's perfectly-plotted, moves at a brisk speed, and the cast is terrific. It's easy to see why Bette's Touchstone period was so popular. Those films hold up and she is great in them.

by Anonymousreply 51March 2, 2021 4:47 AM

When i saw this movie as a kid in the 80's, i always thought Bette's outfit she was wearing, the vest looked like garden hoses. I've always loved this movie

by Anonymousreply 52March 2, 2021 3:33 PM

This is more than a fun movie. RUTHLESS PEOPLE is one of the greatest comedies ever made. The last movie from the team that did AIRPLANE. A script from the guy who wrote MY COUSIN VINNY. And Danny DeVito and Bette Midler doing what they do best and an amazing supporting cast. Even the cinematographer is a legend. He went on to film Basic Instinct and directed Speed.

by Anonymousreply 53March 2, 2021 5:40 PM

I haven't seen this in years, but my favorite moment was when Judge Reinhold, who works in a department store electronics department, works hard to sell a very expensive sound system to a young guy then takes it back when his young wife comes in and is pregnant, making Judge realize that they must be financially struggling. It was funny then sweet, because as much as he needed the commission, couldn't do that to this couple.

by Anonymousreply 54March 2, 2021 6:13 PM

You scumbag! You lowlife mother fucker!

by Anonymousreply 55March 2, 2021 6:44 PM

Why is Sundance showing major studio releases?

by Anonymousreply 56March 2, 2021 6:44 PM

After barely making it through Supergirl, I couldn’t help but wonder: who the fuck thought Helen Slater could act?!?! Were the Jews of Hollywood just excited that she looked waspy?

by Anonymousreply 57March 2, 2021 6:50 PM

[quote] After barely making it through Supergirl, I couldn’t help but wonder: who the fuck thought Helen Slater could act?!?! Were the Jews of Hollywood just excited that she looked waspy?

Were those the same "Jews" of Hollywood who gave an Oscar to Vanessa Redgrave for [italic]Julia[/italic] while blaming Helen Reddy for the middling box-office revenues of [italic]Pete's Dragon[/italic]?

by Anonymousreply 58March 2, 2021 6:54 PM

Were those the same "Jews" who gave Helen Hunt an Oscar and an Emmy while sexually objectifying Brendan Fraser?

by Anonymousreply 59March 2, 2021 6:55 PM

I adore this movie, and wish it would get a good Blu-ray transfer. Bette Midler in peak cunt form, outcunting DeVito (hard to do), and the divine Anita Morris, purring and fluttering. It was such a well-executed comedy.

by Anonymousreply 60March 3, 2021 3:32 AM

Bette should have won a Golden Globe for this

by Anonymousreply 61April 20, 2021 5:33 PM

I thought Bette was embarrassing in this movie

Different strokes

by Anonymousreply 62April 20, 2021 5:39 PM

I kind of like Helen Slater. She was different in every 80s role.

by Anonymousreply 63June 21, 2021 7:03 AM

I loved that little making a drink mime she did to Foxy Lady, when trying on Helen's awful outfits.

by Anonymousreply 64June 21, 2021 7:15 AM

I never thought Helen Slater was a great actress, but she is perfect in this.

So many great lines/scenes.

Judge stomping on the spider.

Helen freaking out over the cops.

Anita thinking Danny wants her to fuck a dog,

Danny responding "It's for me."

Bette responding to the killer/intruder: first friendly, then puzzled then genuinely terrified (it helps that the killer is played serious).

The bizarre but oddly chic Memphis-styled mansion.

The great Mick Jagger opening song with animation by Sally Cruikshank (whose work also inspired the mansion).

I agree the whole thing falls apart in realistic terms, unless Bette and crew are dashing for the border with what's left of her loot before the police check the corpse.

by Anonymousreply 65June 21, 2021 7:20 AM

"Let's be assholes and get rich!" *puts spider outside, goes inside *comes back outside and stomps on spider

by Anonymousreply 66June 21, 2021 7:23 AM

[quote]Isn't there a part where Pullman crashes the ransom drop and gets all confused when the police are shouting through the megaphones? God I love that movie, I need to get a copy.

"This may be the stupidest man on the face of the earth. Perhaps we should shoot him."

by Anonymousreply 67June 21, 2021 7:27 AM

"Yes, Sam. You've told me many, many, many, many..."

Funniest intro to an info-dump ever.

by Anonymousreply 68June 21, 2021 7:29 AM

"I love wrong numbers."

by Anonymousreply 69June 21, 2021 7:37 AM

"Muffy, meet Adolph. Adolph, EAT MUFFY!"

"I hate the way she licks stamps!"

by Anonymousreply 70June 21, 2021 7:40 AM

I loved when Blossom played Bette in the flashback scene.

by Anonymousreply 71June 21, 2021 9:39 AM

R71 are you talking about Beaches?

by Anonymousreply 72June 21, 2021 10:44 AM

I'm impressed that the movie got away with not one, not two, but three exposition dumps: Sam explaining his plan to Carol, Ken reminding Sandy of their plan and Carol reminding Earl of their plan. The best part is, they all work well enough in character. Sam would be the type to crow about how brilliant his plan is, Sandy would need the extra motivation and Earl would need to constantly have things explained to him. Once a plan in introduced, the rest of the movie becomes "and then, this changes! ... and then, this changes!"

by Anonymousreply 73June 21, 2021 11:56 AM

Excellent point, R73.

by Anonymousreply 74June 21, 2021 3:06 PM

There were rumors that Madonna was supposed to play Barbara, but I think it was actually Helen Slater's role. That role was apparently bigger in the original script, but they scaled it back for what ever reason. I notice in interviews, Helen Slater doesn't seem overly enthusiastic when she talks about Ruthless People. Maybe she had a bad experience? Maybe she's bitter that they watered down the role? Maybe they tried to replace her with Madonna and she's still pissed?

by Anonymousreply 75June 25, 2021 8:01 PM

Ruthless People is a hilarious movie because everybody in it is such a rotten, selfish asshole.

by Anonymousreply 76June 25, 2021 8:19 PM

"If you shot at me, where's your gun?"

"Well you're too smart for me. You got me figured out. I don't have one."

Great delivery of that line.

by Anonymousreply 77June 25, 2021 8:19 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!