Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

HBO Lands Joss Whedon Sci-Fi Series ‘The Nevers’

[quote]HBO has given a series order to “The Nevers,” a science-fiction drama from Joss Whedon. [bold]The series is described as a sci-fi epic about a gang of Victorian women who find themselves with unusual abilities, relentless enemies, and a mission that might change the world.[/bold]

[quote]Whedon will serve as writer, director, executive producer, and showrunner.

[quote]“I honestly couldn’t be more excited,” Whedon said. “‘The Nevers’ is maybe the most ambitious narrative I’ve created, and I can’t imagine a better home for it than HBO. Not only are they the masters of cinematic long-form, but their instant understanding of my odd, intimate epic was as emotional as it was incisive. It’s been too long since I created an entirely new fictional world, and the HBO team offer not just scope and experience, not just ‘prestige,’ but a passionate collaboration. I could go on, but — I’m impatiently grateful to say — I have work to do.”

That description sounds [italic]amazing[/italic] and I bet he'll try to correct all those parts of Buffy and his Batgirl script that haven't held up that well, to try and get his feminist cred back. Are we excited, Buffy fans?!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120November 26, 2020 9:06 PM

I hope it is good. I'm cautiously intrigued.

by Anonymousreply 1July 13, 2018 6:45 PM

#metoo

by Anonymousreply 2July 13, 2018 6:45 PM

I'm anticipating bosom-heaving lesbos, but not a gay man in sight.

by Anonymousreply 3July 13, 2018 6:46 PM

Yeah it is a given one of the women will be lesbian/bi r3.

by Anonymousreply 4July 13, 2018 6:47 PM

It's also a given that one of them will be mentally abused, another raped, and that most of them will be berated for having a vagina whilst they'll have their special abilities to "balance" it out a create THE PERFECT FEMINIST TALE. Let's be honest, Whedon's writing of female character hasn't changed much from the 90's - aka, where it should belong.

And yes, I have watched BTVS. But I also watched, BTVS, Angel and parts of Dollhouse & Firefly.

by Anonymousreply 5July 13, 2018 6:52 PM

[quote] a gang of Victorian women who find themselves with unusual abilities, relentless enemies, and a mission that might change the world.

Wasn’t this an episode of Sherlock?

by Anonymousreply 6July 13, 2018 6:53 PM

Of course there will be gays and lesbians and bisexuals. The thing that's weird to me is that it sounds like he intends to direct everything. Maybe hire a woman to helm an episode here and there? And he should really get some female writers while he's at it.

r5 That's my fear, i.e. that it's going to be dated because he'll want to write everything.

by Anonymousreply 7July 13, 2018 6:54 PM

R6 Maybe you're thinking of Doctor Who?

by Anonymousreply 8July 13, 2018 6:56 PM

The plot sounds like a rip-off from Pride, Prejudice & Zombies and yeah Doctor Who and the Alien Lizard detective and her human companion.

by Anonymousreply 9July 13, 2018 6:57 PM

r8 I think R6 was making a joke about Freeman and Cumberbatch.

by Anonymousreply 10July 13, 2018 6:58 PM

r9 Seems similar to 'League of Extraordinary Gentlemen' to me.

by Anonymousreply 11July 13, 2018 7:00 PM

Not sure there'll be any gay men, R7. There were none in Firefly or Dollhouse and only blink and you miss them characters in the many seasons of Buffy and Angel (and no, I don't count 'coded-gay' characters like Andrew and Lorne).

by Anonymousreply 12July 13, 2018 7:02 PM

It sounds woeful already.

by Anonymousreply 13July 13, 2018 7:05 PM

Yeah it is definitely true Joss Whedon doesn't have a noteworthy history of gay male representation.

by Anonymousreply 14July 13, 2018 7:05 PM

He fucked up a lot of the little details about Victorian Spike. Hope he does his research this time.

by Anonymousreply 15July 13, 2018 7:05 PM

r12 But that was ages ago when it comes to gay representation. I'm telling you, he's going to lean extra hard into it this time around. He knows how awful it is that there wasn't a single gay guy on Buffy.

by Anonymousreply 16July 13, 2018 7:06 PM

Buffy was always a mess on that front; it took them 7 seasons to get a decent, recurring black character and apparently Sunnydale was devoid of Asians and Latinos* even though it's set in California.

*unless it was time for some thematic ancient evil/curse episode.

by Anonymousreply 17July 13, 2018 7:10 PM

"victorian women with superpowers"?? Really? Are we in a particularly retarded episode of Family Guy?

by Anonymousreply 18July 13, 2018 7:13 PM

That was hardly Buffy specific, just indicative of the era. TV shows were a lot whiter then. I mean can you imagine "Friends" starting now with an all white cast? It wouldn't happen.

by Anonymousreply 19July 13, 2018 7:14 PM

HBO still loves its super white shows. Looking at you, Succession.

by Anonymousreply 20July 13, 2018 7:26 PM

R19 Friends is not the show that's constantly being hailed as being so innovative, inclusive and ahead of its time - though.

by Anonymousreply 21July 13, 2018 7:27 PM

Buffy was innovative and ahead of its time on several fronts. Of course, time catches up with everything, plus we've discovered how important inclusivity, diversity, and representation can be since then.

We only got our first gay guy on Star Trek last year, and that show was designed to be ahead of its time in all sorts of ways, but especially when it comes to societal issues.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22July 13, 2018 7:31 PM

I don't know how he manages to be so bland and repulsive at the same time. It's like somebody vomited up an egg white omelet and it became famous.

by Anonymousreply 23July 13, 2018 7:36 PM

R22 Except for #4, Buffy just wasn't that innovative... which is flagrant if you knew of the shows that came it and actually broke new grounds.

Buffy's greatest "innovation" is the combination of shows that existed before it did/got successful.

by Anonymousreply 24July 13, 2018 8:06 PM

I don't know, I think Todd VanDerWerff and Caroline Framke kinda know what they're talking about there.

by Anonymousreply 25July 13, 2018 8:47 PM

R25 Buffy is a mix of Scooby-Doo & The X-Files with a soap inkling. Its success and mainstream apeal influenced quite a lot of teen shows, but also led the networks to consider them viable.

Shows like Twin Peaks (serialized tv), I Love Lucy (sitcom), Law & Order (procedural), The X-Files (mix of arcs and procedural), My So-Called Life (teen show not dumbing down characters), Desperate Housewives (network dramedy) would be what I call INFLUENTIAL. You could even add Lost, but I see it more as phenomenon, like Heroes was, than an intrinsic influence on TV.

by Anonymousreply 26July 13, 2018 9:17 PM

I'm hesitant after Dollhouse. That turned out to be a big mess.

by Anonymousreply 27July 13, 2018 9:29 PM

It's strange - he gets lauded for his portrayal of strong women.

But, I've always gotten the undercurrent that it's more akin to gamers who always create female characters when they play games. It's actually pretty common for hardcore gaming guys to choose to play female characters because they prefer to watch the women and the cliched "girl fight."

by Anonymousreply 28July 13, 2018 9:40 PM

He's raping me with his new series! Why won't he just retire?

by Anonymousreply 29July 13, 2018 9:42 PM

Buffy was a really complex and iconic female character r28. Joss does deserve credit for bringing that to television.

by Anonymousreply 30July 13, 2018 9:42 PM

But then he gave us Marti Noxon and the last several seasons of Buffy, so it blew all that to shit.

by Anonymousreply 31July 13, 2018 9:43 PM

R30 Buffy was developed enough, but calling her "very complex" is a stretch and a half.

by Anonymousreply 32July 13, 2018 9:50 PM

[quote]Buffy was a really complex and iconic female character [R28]. Joss does deserve credit for bringing that to television.

Setting aside whether I agree or disagree that Buffy was either complex or iconic, it doesn't negate my point or the undercurrent to his storytelling.

by Anonymousreply 33July 13, 2018 9:53 PM

All women? Nope, not a fan of an all women cast (with a few exceptions, Charmed being one). You can just bet one of them will be a lesbian. Still hardly any gay male characters on tv while we're overflowing with lesbians... fun stuff.

by Anonymousreply 34July 13, 2018 10:00 PM

Victorian era hmm? So he picked it so he could keep it white and misogynist as possible while going ~it’s true to the era!!!!!1!!~

by Anonymousreply 35July 13, 2018 10:11 PM

So, it's like some anti Handmaid's Tale? Handmaid's Tale is really hot right now.

by Anonymousreply 36July 13, 2018 10:15 PM

Whedon's idea of "feminism" is to feature hot, young, mainly white chicks that fanboys can wank over.

His idea of being "pro-gay" is to have said hot chicks be lesbian while still being very hot and feminine, many of whom will have had relationships with men. No gay men allowed.

It's all straight boy wank material and none of it is progressive in any way.

And isn't he another metoo creeper?

by Anonymousreply 37July 14, 2018 12:46 AM

Wonder which of his faves will join the cast? I wouldn't mind seeing Eliza and Dichen be part of the show.

by Anonymousreply 38July 14, 2018 4:14 AM

Casting kicks off with Laura Donnelly, recipient of the Best Actress award at the 2018 Olivier Awards. Loved her turn on Outlander; she's a fierce one!

[quote]UK actress Donnelly will play Amalia True, the most reckless, impulsive, emotionally damaged hero of her time. A menace to stuffy Victorian society, she would die for the cause and kill for a drink. “Laura Donnelly has charisma, wisdom and an anarchic precision that not only captures Amalia but defines her,” said Whedon. “She’s fierce and she’s funny – and I need both for the journey ahead.”

[quote]Whedon, who serves as showrunner, executive produces with Jane Espenson, Doug Petrie and Bernie Caulfield.

Espenson and Petrie are also writers on this, which makes me hugely optimistic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39April 23, 2019 4:38 PM

While it's great that he creates strong women characters in his stories, there's something about it that doesn't sit right.

He's like those gamers who ALWAYS creates a female alt in the character creator and play as girl. Not the T issue, but more like some madonna-whore complex, except with strong women and wanting to dominate or control them or something.

Where his female characters always fail is that they don't have strong male characters. The women are strong because the men are weak(er). Agents of Shield does it a bit better with characters like May or Stargate with Col. Carter or of course, Ripley and Sarah Connor.

by Anonymousreply 40April 23, 2019 4:45 PM

Joss Whedon basically has one type of strong female character, so I don't understand why people still consider him such a feminist.

Buffy was groundbreaking.

Twenty years ago.

by Anonymousreply 41April 23, 2019 4:46 PM

LOL at the box-ticking going on here. If he’s to be truly PC, you know there’ll be trans, too.

by Anonymousreply 42April 23, 2019 5:00 PM

She's just his type, re: R39. Amy Ackers must no longer appeal to him, ahem.

R23, your comment was perfect.

by Anonymousreply 43April 23, 2019 5:01 PM

Amy Acker was no Olivier Award winner before getting cast on Angel. If you want to speculate who Joss is or will be fucking this time around, you'll have to wait for more casting announcements.

by Anonymousreply 44April 23, 2019 5:23 PM

As long as Jane Espenson's involved, and Marti Noxon's allowed nowhere within a hundred yards of the script, I'm prepared to give it a chance.

by Anonymousreply 45April 23, 2019 5:37 PM

Buffy was also just a better TV series than it had any right to be r41. The best episodes of Buffy are iconic, Joss has some real talent so people are interested in what he does next.

by Anonymousreply 46April 23, 2019 5:44 PM

Joss has never worked for a medium like HBO, don't know if he is going to stick to his same style or make it more "adult" because he can.

by Anonymousreply 47April 23, 2019 5:47 PM

His own ex wife wrote a piece which seemed legit only a year or so ago about what a nasty piece of work he was, fake feminist using his 'woke' cred and power as a show runner to bed many young actresses - yet he gets a #meetoo pass and companies in a bidding war over his new show?!

by Anonymousreply 48April 23, 2019 5:54 PM

r47 Crap, you're right. Yeah, it will be interesting to see if he takes it in an (even more) adult direction.

by Anonymousreply 49April 23, 2019 5:57 PM

The only thing he has been accused of his cheating on his wife r48. No woman has come forward saying they felt assaulted by Whedon.

by Anonymousreply 50April 23, 2019 5:58 PM

Exactly. The wife felt (rightfully) bitter as she had been the joke of the town for so long, and so penned that letter. I don't blame her but let's not compare this to actual instances of sexual assault. Also, not one actress came forward and said she felt like she needed to have sex with him in order to get/keep her job.

He's a hopeless pussyhound like Seth Macfarlane and we might all be repulsed by that, but there's no #MeToo to be found here.

by Anonymousreply 51April 23, 2019 6:05 PM

It may not be #meetoo level, we just dont know. However he based his entire brand, reputation and subsequent very well paid work on being a woke feminist, whilst he fucked all the young starlets hoping for a leg up in the business ( coerced or not)

- i have decades of experience with guys like this, i would put money on him having used his position inappropriately whilst getting work writing 'feminist' roles. Lefty woke male feminists are the worst.

by Anonymousreply 52April 23, 2019 6:12 PM

Well, until someone comes forward, I'll assume that wasn't the case. The pre-MeToo era was murky and gross when it came to showrunners casting their concubines in their projects, or starting to fuck them during production. It was an established and tolerated system and everyone just kind of went along with it, even the woke lefties. I'm sure that has changed a lot since then and everyone is more professional (read: careful) these days.

by Anonymousreply 53April 23, 2019 6:21 PM

Yeah, his wife's letter and the subsequent media coverage gave the perfect opportunity for some women who worked with him to speak out. No one did.

Someone cheating on their spouse is not a crime nor something I care about as long as the sex was consensual.

by Anonymousreply 54April 23, 2019 6:24 PM

Sure Jan. Just a bit of light extra marital cheating. Nothing to see here...

Whilst ignoring the fact he built his entire brand on being feminist - most of whom i would have thought didnt think it ok to fuck the people who work under them, but whatever.

by Anonymousreply 55April 23, 2019 6:32 PM

What he did to his wife was abusive enough for me. It made me sick to read about it. He truly gaslighted her. She developed full PTSD from his act. This was no typical cheating on your wife scumminess. It was full on psychological abuse and it went on for years.

And he definitely promoted the careers of actresses he slept with. He may not have forced them, but he is part of the system and made full use of his privilege. He gave jobs to girls he had sex with, expanded their roles, and abandoned them professionally according to his own whims.

I want no part of a human being who does that kind of thing and won’t watch his stuff any longer. I am disappointed in HBO for taking him on. There are better writers out there, but privilege begets privilege.

R37 said it best— Whedon’s oeuvre is for straight men to wank over. He’s a false feminist.

by Anonymousreply 56April 23, 2019 6:35 PM

How many misogynistic showrunners are out there who also fucked younger actresses and defintiely didn't give us an iconic character like Buffy? I don't know about you but I'll save my tiki torches for those first... when someone comes out with an allegation. Until then, what they do in their bedrooms is private business between adults.

by Anonymousreply 57April 23, 2019 6:36 PM

[quote]Whedon’s oeuvre is for straight men to wank over.

Which definitely explains the gay following Buffy has. For sure.

by Anonymousreply 58April 23, 2019 6:38 PM

Yes of course you are right you fucking apologist ( and possible friend of Wheldon from your refusal to even see that a modern day equivalent of fucking the help is not ok) - we should all be basing our discretion for this sort behaviour on the creative output on the man involved, you want to give him a pass because he created Buffy? Seriously?

And this Ladies is why we still live up to our armpits with sexist cunts taking advantage everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 59April 23, 2019 6:49 PM

Oh goodie, more work!

Just make sure my IUD is in place.

by Anonymousreply 60April 23, 2019 6:49 PM

Apparently he's the reason Alyson and Amber didn't get along during Buffy. He liked to stir trouble between the actors. I always wondered why Sarah didn't seem to be a big fan of him.

by Anonymousreply 61April 23, 2019 7:28 PM

Never heard that R61. But you have to pity his wife's timing. IIRC, she penned that letter a few months before ME TOO took off. If only, girl.

Jillian Morgese (right) was almost certainly one of his. Her first role was as an extra in Avengers, then a lead in his next film, and almost nothing since.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62April 23, 2019 10:15 PM

I thought SMG and Whedon got along okay. It is Boreanaz who loathes him due to money issues and the way Charisma was treated.

by Anonymousreply 63April 24, 2019 12:49 AM

The story goes that SMG and Whedon both thought that the other didn't appreciate the their contribution for the show's popularity. But I think time has mellowed that.

Charisma has confirmed she was fired because she was pregnant, but IIRC, she'd lost pregnancies before and waited to tell the bosses until she was about 4-5 months along, so they didn't have much time to work around it.

As for Boreanaz, he cheated on his Playboy Playmate wife while she was pregnant and literally every story I've heard from a Hollywood underling describes him as a jerk to the "little people". He has lived a charmed life, as he has not been off TV since Buffy.

by Anonymousreply 64April 24, 2019 1:04 AM

It wasn’t just pregnancy with Charisma Carpenters he was obsessed with her and harassed her non stop. It’s an open secret.

by Anonymousreply 65April 24, 2019 1:14 AM

I've literally never heard that R65. And while Charisma is gorgeous, he's always had a TYPE

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66April 24, 2019 1:24 AM

He sho' is ugly!

by Anonymousreply 67April 24, 2019 1:30 AM

Charisma is too womanly, voluptuous for Joss's tastes. He likes those little tittied waifs like Acker and Glau.

by Anonymousreply 68April 24, 2019 3:24 AM

Why can't he cast SMG??

by Anonymousreply 69April 24, 2019 3:29 AM

I keep hearing mixed things about Charisma. There's a rumour that Joss thought she'd developed a drinking problem and wanted her to get help. Apparently it was an overreaction to what happened with Glen Quinn.

As for the pregnancy, I can see both sides. Charisma not wanting to tell Joss until the 3 months mark is perfectly normal. But the downside is that foreshadowing (which seems to be a rarity in tv shows) is one of Whedon's trademarks. To this day season 4 still gets a lot of hate lol. But I'm glad Cordy came back for season 5.

by Anonymousreply 70April 24, 2019 5:53 AM

[quote] Why can't he cast SMG??

Lack of talent.

by Anonymousreply 71April 24, 2019 6:40 AM

There was a blind item that came out a few months ago saying she wasn't going to be asked to appear in the Buffy reboot, which I don't think is necessarily a bad thing. Has there been anymore info since they made the announcement? Besides the fact that she'll be black.

by Anonymousreply 72April 24, 2019 12:58 PM

r69 SMG has kinda semi-retired from big acting gigs at this point.

by Anonymousreply 73April 24, 2019 1:13 PM

R73 by choice? I enjoyed Ringer and I know she was supposed to be part of a Cruel Intentions tv show which fell through. Unless Foodstirs really is her true passion now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74April 24, 2019 1:31 PM

r74 Yes, by choice. The baking/shilling community is her new tribe now. Has been for quite some time, actually. She still does some voice acting.

by Anonymousreply 75April 24, 2019 1:33 PM

The new series sounds Five by Five.

by Anonymousreply 76April 24, 2019 1:38 PM

Bette says tune in to “The Nevahs!”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77April 24, 2019 2:24 PM

R76 it could be if it's about Fray.

by Anonymousreply 78April 24, 2019 3:25 PM

The Whedon divorce was VERY quiet until the Mrs. threw her grenade with that OP-Ed. They were making movies together and then...poof. About 6 months prior, Joss was overheard telling a friend very casually that they only communicate about the children through their housekeepers.

I'm sure she was hoping it would end up a Bill Cosby career-ending sitch, but no accusations came forward and he didn't fan the flames.

This was his most obvious case. Scroll down to the comments.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79April 25, 2019 12:47 AM

Those comments are indeed interesting. Seems like she was thirsty for it and look at where that thirst got her.

[quote]Joss was overheard telling a friend very casually that they only communicate about the children through their housekeepers.

Imagine the information loss when translating to Spanish and then back into English again. Those poor kids.

by Anonymousreply 80April 25, 2019 12:55 AM

She hasn't done anything of note since. Bravo, thirsty girl

by Anonymousreply 81April 25, 2019 1:07 AM

[Quote] This is a bit inaccurate. She had a fan-girl crush, coincidentally ran into him at the Marvel office during wardrobe fittings, told him what a fan she was and strategically conversed with him again on set. It wasn’t like he just noticed her out of the blue on the first day of shooting.

LOL

by Anonymousreply 82April 25, 2019 2:44 AM

He really does have a type.

While she, Glau, and Acker don't look alike, they all have the same look.

by Anonymousreply 83April 25, 2019 3:24 AM

R83 they played cousins and could pass for twins

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84April 25, 2019 3:45 AM

Er, sisters, not twins. Fuck the lack of an edit button

by Anonymousreply 85April 25, 2019 3:46 AM

Morgese was good in Much Ado. So was Acker.

by Anonymousreply 86April 25, 2019 6:39 AM

Acker's good in everything.

by Anonymousreply 87April 25, 2019 9:28 AM

He’s still gross.

by Anonymousreply 88April 25, 2019 5:49 PM

R88 he's still getting jobs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89April 25, 2019 10:39 PM

Cheating on your wife, while shitty, is not illegal or a career-ender. No one has come forward to say he harassed or assaulted them.

by Anonymousreply 90April 25, 2019 10:47 PM

This is going to be amazing because - like I've said in the OP last year - Whedon will have something to prove. And HBO is going to be on his ass constantly to turn it out as much as he can.

But more importantly, we now know Espenson is involved. I just hope they fill the writers room with younger female writers as well, to make the problems and the themes extra relevant to today's audiences. This can't come across as dated in any way apart from the period setting.

by Anonymousreply 91April 25, 2019 10:49 PM

[quote]Sunnydale was devoid of Asians and Latinos* even though it's set in California.

Captain Marvel (2019) is set in California , apparently Asians and Latinos still don't exist.

by Anonymousreply 92April 25, 2019 10:49 PM

R92 are you saying having SLJ wasn't enough?

by Anonymousreply 93April 25, 2019 11:35 PM

Weren't there casting couch stories about Whedon a while back?

by Anonymousreply 94April 25, 2019 11:49 PM

R94 about Acker and Glau?

by Anonymousreply 95April 26, 2019 12:03 AM

Well, that's just silly. Nobody is going to notice the lack of Mexicans in Los Angeles.

by Anonymousreply 96April 26, 2019 12:05 AM

R96 right?!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97April 26, 2019 6:56 AM

Let me guess - lots of quirky banter and snarky one-liners.

by Anonymousreply 98April 26, 2019 7:47 AM

R98 that's his schtick. Although I don't think Dollhouse was as bad in that regard.

by Anonymousreply 99April 26, 2019 7:56 AM

What confuses me is that this show is going to be on HBO. Doesn't it look a bit too tame and family friendly for them? It's basically a Doctor Who spin off rip off. Where's the edge?

by Anonymousreply 100April 26, 2019 8:37 AM

[quote]Doesn't it look a bit too tame and family friendly for them?

They haven't seen a single frame of it so it can't possibly look like anything to them. However, there had to have been something in that pitch to trigger a bidding war and the show landing on HBO of all places.

[quote]Where's the edge?

Language, violence, nudity, adult themes being explored, all of that combined...

by Anonymousreply 101April 26, 2019 11:31 AM

Ugh, it was more than simply cheating. Let that sink in.

I don’t give a shot about people’s personal lives or values unless there’s abuse involved. In this case, there was, even if it only involved the casting couch.

He’s slimy and there are better writers out there.

HBO should give some else a chance.

by Anonymousreply 102April 26, 2019 1:46 PM

[Quote] I don’t give a shot about people’s personal lives or values unless there’s abuse involved. In this case, there was, even if it only involved the casting couch. He’s slimy and there are better writers out there.

Has Eliza ever said anything negative about him?

by Anonymousreply 103April 26, 2019 2:56 PM

[bold]Joss Whedon Sets Full Cast for HBO's 'The Nevers'[/bold]

[quote]The 12 new cast members are James Norton (Grantchester), Olivia Williams (Dollhouse, Counterpart), Tom Riley (Da Vinci's Demons), Ann Skelly (Vikings), Ben Chaplin (Cinderella), Pip Torrens (Poldark), Zackary Momoh (Seven Seconds), Amy Manson (Once Upon a Time), Nick Frost (Into the Badlands, Hot Fuzz), Rochelle Neil (Episodes), Eleanor Tomlinson (Poldark), Denis O'Hare (Big Little Lies, American Horror Story) join previously announced lead Laura Donnelly in the ensemble. Additional casting will be announced later.

James Norton, Pip Torrens, and Denis O'Hare, holy shit! Character breakdowns are in the linked article.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104July 30, 2019 7:53 PM

Sounds like James Norton's character is the show's Jack Harkness.

That's...not unappealing.

by Anonymousreply 105July 30, 2019 8:01 PM

r105 Agreed. Has James Norton ever kissed a guy on screen before?

by Anonymousreply 106July 30, 2019 8:03 PM

R106 Yes, in the Viriginia Woolfe thing a few years ago

LOVE Laura, she had like two scenes in The Fall Season One and she just shone, how followed her since and never disappointed LOVE HER

by Anonymousreply 107July 30, 2019 8:25 PM

Olivia Williams is sophistication personified.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108July 30, 2019 8:29 PM

[quote][R106] Yes, in the Viriginia Woolfe thing a few years ago

Link please.

by Anonymousreply 109July 30, 2019 11:02 PM

How are Victorian dressed women going to kick ass?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110July 30, 2019 11:26 PM

Stephen Moffat demonstrated that one on Doctor Who.

by Anonymousreply 111July 30, 2019 11:29 PM

Also Josh Logan - Eva Green banished Satan fully dressed in Victorian attire, just by opening her mouth.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112July 30, 2019 11:31 PM

*JOHN Logan, Jesus!

by Anonymousreply 113July 30, 2019 11:31 PM

R108 she was great on Dollhouse.

by Anonymousreply 114July 31, 2019 3:49 AM

More than a dozen regulars, big cast.

by Anonymousreply 115July 31, 2019 1:43 PM

R155 Six more! Character breakdowns are in the article.

[quote]Kiran Sonia Sawar, Elizabeth Berrington, Ella Smith, Viola Prettejohn, Anna Devlin and Martyn Ford are set to join a packed previously announced cast

That guy with the tats is.... wow. I would #MeToo him if I were a casting director, sorry not sorry. 🤤

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116August 15, 2019 8:49 PM

R106: Norton played gay and kissed more than one man in the TV miniseries Life In Squares in which he played the Bloomsbury Group's Duncan Grant. I believe he also kissed a guy in the movie Bonobo.

by Anonymousreply 117August 15, 2019 9:43 PM

Joss has "exited" The Nevers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118November 26, 2020 12:12 PM

Damn that's crazy r118. I think they have finished filming the first season, so I guess if HBO wants to continue it they would have to find someone else to take it over. I am guessing it will end up being cancelled after the season airs. That really sucks for everyone else involved in the show.

by Anonymousreply 119November 26, 2020 12:44 PM

R119 it's been a downward trajectory since Ultron. And i saw Ray Fischer bragging about it on twitter.

by Anonymousreply 120November 26, 2020 9:06 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!