Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Dear DL - please tell this English person about Baskin Robbins.

I always loved the looked of their ice-cream parlors in the 70s. So colorful.

But were they ever the top place for ice-cream in America?

Did you love BR?

Were they superseded by Haagen Daz?

They still exist I think. Do you ever go now?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 199July 6, 2018 5:18 AM

We still have a lot of Baskin Robbins in the USA often times they are in the same storefront as Dunkin Donuts.

by Anonymousreply 1July 1, 2018 5:35 PM

BR was a thing in the 70s or 80s in Canada. That's all I remember.

A BRITISH connection: In 1972, the company went public for the first time in its history when United Brands sold 17% in an IPO. A year later, British food company J. Lyons and Co. purchased Baskin-Robbins from United Brands and all public stock. J. Lyons then merged with Allied Breweries, becoming Allied-Lyons in 1978. Allied-Lyons then merged with Pedro Domecq S.A. in 1994, becoming Allied Domecq. Baskin-Robbins and Dunkin' Donuts comprise Dunkin' Brands, Inc. Dunkin' Brands was part of Allied Domecq until its purchase in 2006 by a group of private equity firms - Bain Capital, Thomas Lee, and The Carlyle Group.[8]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2July 1, 2018 5:39 PM

They made ice cream cakes which were amazeballs for birthday parties back when those were not status events. In my tiny town the pharmacy is still the soda/ice cream parlor but the cakes are available at the grocery store.

by Anonymousreply 3July 1, 2018 5:40 PM

They still make a flavor called Nutty Coconut that is like crack to me.

by Anonymousreply 4July 1, 2018 5:48 PM

Basking Robbins.....men. Ridiculously overpriced.

I miss the days of the soda fountain/ice cream parlors, 5¢ per scoop, and all homemade by the owner. Best ice cream I've ever eaten.

The scoops were huge, the fountain drinks freshly made, and we never got fat. Probably because we walked back and forth.

by Anonymousreply 5July 1, 2018 5:50 PM

Totally mediocre ice cream. We only discovered that when premium ice creams like Haagen Daaz (I can never spell the dang thing) came out.

by Anonymousreply 6July 1, 2018 5:52 PM

R4 If you ever have the opportunity to get your hands on a carton of "Zero Visibility" ice cream by Perry's, grab it. It's a coconut lover's dream.

by Anonymousreply 7July 1, 2018 5:52 PM

They were a big deal when I was a kid in the 80's. There's much better options now, so they've mostly disappeared.

by Anonymousreply 8July 1, 2018 5:54 PM

When I was a kid we had a Baskin Robbin's nearby as well as a Friendly's and a Carvel. BB's scoops were tiny. Friendly's gave a generous scoop of ice cream plus free sprinkles but Carvel was still my favorite. I loved the vanilla soft serve dipped in that bright red artificial cherry stuff that quickly hardened.

by Anonymousreply 9July 1, 2018 5:54 PM

Does anyone remember Sealtest ice cream?

by Anonymousreply 10July 1, 2018 5:56 PM

Here's a list of the original 31 flavors.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11July 1, 2018 5:56 PM

I don't think I ever had it.

by Anonymousreply 12July 1, 2018 5:58 PM

Surfer's Gremmie Nut, created in conjunction with the release of "For Those Who Think Young," with James Darren and Pamela Tiffin.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13July 1, 2018 6:00 PM

[quote] If you ever have the opportunity to get your hands on a carton of "Zero Visibility" ice cream by Perry's, grab it. It's a coconut lover's dream.

But do they have one that's a coffee luvah's dream?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14July 1, 2018 6:06 PM

There was one in my NJ town in the late 1960s. My best friend worked there. I could have eaten a ton for free, but I wasn't into ice cream. My favorite flavors were Mint Chocolate Chip and Pralines & Cream.

by Anonymousreply 15July 1, 2018 6:09 PM

This was a big part of my childhood. Every couple of weeks during the summer my dad would announce "Let's go to 31 Flavors after dinner," and I'd be excited all day. (In our town, everyone just called it "31 Flavors.")

The decision was mighty, since 31 different flavors required a bit of childish discernment. First I'd count the number of flavors available (it was never quite 31) and announce it to my parents ("They have 34 today!"). Then came the hard part.

They had doll-sized pink plastic spoons for tasting, and of course I'd go through three or four before my dad would say "That's enough." Only an idiot would go for vanilla or plain chocolate when there was such a bounty from which to choose; my dad, idiot, always would get chocolate. My mother usually would get "daiquiri ice" (which was light green and didn't taste like much) or some version of strawberry.

After a careful examination of the various ice creams on offer (sherbet was out of the question), I usually would end up with Jamoca Almond Fudge (chocolate and coffee swirl) and Mint Chocolate Chip (fluorescent green with specks of chocolate like pepper through it). There also was the question of which kind of cone to get, but I preferred the little paper dish.

We would sit at one of the sticky tables and watch all the other suburban families make their selections while we gorged. Then, when I was a teenager, Swensen's ice cream came to town and 31 Flavors became declasse overnight.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16July 1, 2018 6:17 PM

We had a copy version in England. It did well during the hot summers of the mid 70s and they were suddenly everywhere, but the British climate couldn't maintain it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17July 1, 2018 6:28 PM

oops sorry

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18July 1, 2018 7:24 PM

Mint Chocolate Chip was my favorite. Everybody who loved that flavor turned out gay.

by Anonymousreply 19July 1, 2018 7:31 PM

I worked there. We would get a notice of the specialty flavors for the next month. One month, Statutory Grape was on the list. Needless to say, it was never delivered.

by Anonymousreply 20July 1, 2018 7:40 PM

Nice memory r16

by Anonymousreply 21July 1, 2018 8:00 PM

My big memory of Baskin Robbins is from 1972. I was visiting a friend in Northern Va, and we went to a nearby B-R for a treat. While we were waiting my bud told me that we were in the B-R in which Nazi Party head George Lincoln Rockwell was assassinated,

Any of you Boomers remember that name?

by Anonymousreply 22July 1, 2018 8:12 PM

Nice memory R22

by Anonymousreply 23July 1, 2018 8:21 PM

I think of Mint Chocolate Chip as rather WASPy.

My favorite BR flavor would be German Chocolate Cake.

by Anonymousreply 24July 1, 2018 8:37 PM

I liked Rocky Road, English Toffee and Bubble Gum - it had real bits of bubble gum.

Mint Chocolate sounds all kinds of gross.

by Anonymousreply 25July 1, 2018 8:43 PM

My friend worked at one in high school. He told us he used to jerk off in the storage room a lot if he was working alone. We started calling him 32 Flavors.

by Anonymousreply 26July 1, 2018 8:50 PM

R3 I hope you die slowly and painfully. And soon.

As should anyone who uses words like "amazeballs."

Douchebag piece of shit.

by Anonymousreply 27July 1, 2018 8:52 PM

May you be enveloped, r27, by a head-sized vagina that will choke the life out of you.

by Anonymousreply 28July 1, 2018 8:54 PM

Bressler’s 33 flavors was a knockoff. I remember seeing that around too.

by Anonymousreply 29July 1, 2018 9:02 PM

[quote][R3] I hope you die slowly and painfully. And soon.

How can he die slowly AND soon?

Don't bother to respond you "douchebag piece of shit".

by Anonymousreply 30July 1, 2018 9:06 PM

Is R27 kidding? I don't get it.

by Anonymousreply 31July 1, 2018 9:07 PM

Similar childhood memories as R16, except I don't recall anyone calling it "31 Flavors", it was always Baskin Robbins.

by Anonymousreply 32July 1, 2018 9:30 PM

This is Datalounge. We like amazeballs.

by Anonymousreply 33July 1, 2018 9:36 PM

Yes and goofballs.

by Anonymousreply 34July 1, 2018 9:37 PM

Yes, yes, we all know that others places have MUCH better ice creams in DL's collective eyes but there's nothing wrong with having a scoop or two of your favorite at BR.

by Anonymousreply 35July 1, 2018 9:42 PM

[quote] I miss the days of the soda fountain/ice cream parlors, 5¢ per scoop, and all homemade by the owner. Best ice cream I've ever eaten.

How old are you? Five cents a scoop???

by Anonymousreply 36July 1, 2018 9:45 PM

[quote]They made ice cream cakes which were amazeballs for birthday parties

They sure look it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37July 1, 2018 9:48 PM

To answer OP, B-R was one of the first chain ice cream stores, along with Carvel and Friendlys.

Carvel was mostly in the Northeast and was big on soft-serve

Friendlys had a diner-like restaurant attached to it

B-R had more flavors than anyone, which was the appeal, often somewhat exotic for a kid, like Jamoca Almond Fudge or Rocky Road.

As you noted OP, it was superceded by Haagen Dazs and Ben and Jerry's and all the other superpremium ice creams and then by frozen yogurt shops and similar.

by Anonymousreply 38July 1, 2018 9:48 PM

SUPER-COOL!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39July 1, 2018 9:51 PM

Other than Howard Johnson's, they were the one chain with a range of flavors. They also were the first really premium (high fat) ice cream chain. Swenson's came later--all 1970s kitsch and then Haagen Dazs and Ben & Jerry's. Farrell's was a bit of a knock off, but it was lower quality ice cream and they used freakish dyes. B-R rose at a time when soda fountains were disappearing (drug stores were getting rid of them, free standing soda founatins were dying off in cities and never made it to the suburbs) and the kind of ice cream you got elewhere was on a par with a good super market brand, at best. The usual treat in warm weatherwas frozen custard (like Dairy Queen but with flavor and stiffness).

B-R stumbled in a number of ways. They went in for neighborhood locations rather than malls, which got crap like Farrell's and later Swenson's and Haagen Dazs. They also neglected their flavors, as things like cookies and cream and candy flavors like Almond Joy gained popularity. They expanded internationally, esp. in Asia, during the 80s and 90s but let their operations languish in the US. In the end, we have these other brands with more prestige, although they're not what they once were. I think I've only seen Swenson's in Asia. Haagen Dazs and Ben & Jerry's both seem to be closing stores and are heavily discounted in the super market. Gelato has taken the place ofa lot of this stuff.

by Anonymousreply 40July 1, 2018 9:52 PM

What's Gelato?

by Anonymousreply 41July 1, 2018 9:56 PM

I think the guy who paid five cents a scoop and the guy who doesn't know what gelato is should start a daddy-boy relationship.

by Anonymousreply 42July 1, 2018 9:59 PM

carvel's was revolting. I liked Friendley's better.

by Anonymousreply 43July 1, 2018 10:06 PM

43-Your'e revolting

by Anonymousreply 44July 1, 2018 10:13 PM

Before Haagen Dazs and Ben and Jerry's the premium ice cream my mother would by for special occasions was Schraft's

by Anonymousreply 45July 1, 2018 10:14 PM

Why is an ice-cream thread attracting such vitriol? It doesn't make sense.

by Anonymousreply 46July 1, 2018 10:14 PM

I'm not a big ice cream eater, but whenever I'm with my nieces and nephews, they always seem to want to stop by Baskin Robbins. And apparently, there are still plenty of them around in the San Fernando Valley. My flavor of choice is Pralines 'n' Cream.

In the shopping malls, I see a lot of Cold Stone Creameries. Are they popular?

by Anonymousreply 47July 1, 2018 10:16 PM

Carvel ice cream cakes still rock!

by Anonymousreply 48July 1, 2018 10:19 PM

I remember those Carvel commercials when I lived in NYC - but they didn't have them in the city so I never tried it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49July 1, 2018 10:21 PM

Cold Stone has been closing stores. That Carvel guy had an annoying voice.

by Anonymousreply 50July 1, 2018 11:34 PM

I remember Sealtest. It was pretty basic stuff. Also Hoodsie Cups.

by Anonymousreply 51July 2, 2018 12:00 AM

R31 and R46 It was the use of "amazeballs" that elicited the negative reactions. Like "moist" or, for some, "panties," it is among a group of words known to trigger a negative, visceral response. People hate "amazeballs".

Maybe it's the word's try-hard preciousness, coupled with its scrotal imagery.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52July 2, 2018 12:01 AM

[quote]Cold Stone has been closing stores.

Worst ice cream. They make you buy it with mix-ins so you can't tell it has no flavor.

by Anonymousreply 53July 2, 2018 12:05 AM

Carvel was the soft serve SHIT back in the day! Cookie Puss and Fudgie the whale cakes...the Santa with the huge cone nose.. The same pan shape for all the ice cream cakes, lol The owners phlemy gravelly voice. It was like Rodney Dangerfield in EASY MONEY owned an ice cream chain!

And Hoodsies!!!!! I remember those from being a tot in Boston. That half sized tongue depressor paddle to eat it. Peeling the lid of the Hoodsies. Licking the lid.

Baskin Robbins is the story of America. Once great and now past usefulness. It used to offer a lot and was clean. If you walk into a Baskin Robbins today it has maybe 8 flavored. Two will be vanilla. The dregs of the last tub will be scraped from the last tub. It's glue like. It sits on top of a new opened tub. It looks disgusting. The Indian franchise owners think it's fine. They also sell burnt coffee or iced coffee that is warm and swirled with ice to use up most of the cup with ice. It renders it warm still. The flavored are boring. No wow factor at all. Nothing is wasted. All of it is shit.

by Anonymousreply 54July 2, 2018 12:09 AM

Barbra Streisand dated Richard Baskin in the 1980s. He made sure she had an endless supply of coffee ice cream, which she enjoyed.

I know, it’s utterly useless trivia....but the DL Barbra queens will want to know....

by Anonymousreply 55July 2, 2018 12:11 AM

I'm R54 sorry for the typos and repeated words- codeine cough medicine

by Anonymousreply 56July 2, 2018 12:13 AM

[quote]If you walk into a Baskin Robbins today it has maybe 8 flavored. Two will be vanilla.

LOL.

by Anonymousreply 57July 2, 2018 12:13 AM

Anyone remember Thrifty ice cream? It was sold from a counter at Thrifty Drug Store and was only five cents a scoop until, I believe, the 1980s or 1990s. The scoop was an odd rectangular shape rather than a sphere.

It wasn't today's "premium" ice cream, but the fact that any kid could scrape up a nickel and get an ice cream cone made it famous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58July 2, 2018 12:13 AM

There's still a few BR in Canada but they're not present in the large malls as much as they used to. My guess is Laura Secord (who also sells a large selection of chocolates/candy) won the battle in those markets. Plus all the fro-yo chains that put that "healthy" spin on things..

by Anonymousreply 59July 2, 2018 12:14 AM

[quote]I'm [R54] sorry for the typos and repeated words- codeine cough medicine

Doesn't matter - it was a funny post.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60July 2, 2018 12:14 AM

Two words: Licorice Voodoo

by Anonymousreply 61July 2, 2018 12:22 AM

We've had BR and their "thirty-onederful" flavors in the Midwest (IL and IN) since the 80s. Fewer stores today, but it's still here. They may still switch out flavors monthly, but I'm not there enough to notice if it's happening nowadays. And, as someone mentioned above, the local BR's also a Dunkin' Donuts. Weird combo, but we also have a KFC/A&W and Long John Silver's/Taco Bell.

Bubble gum was insanely popular as a kid, but my adult choice is peanut butter and chocolate. PB's swirled into the chocolate ice cream. Unlike most peanut butter desserts, BR doesn't add sugar to the peanut butter. Pralines and cream and butter pecan flavors are also tasty.

by Anonymousreply 62July 2, 2018 12:25 AM

Getting BR ice cream isn’t fun anymore. You get a sad, mini scoop of ice cream that barely fills the cone and costs nearly five dollars. You leave pissed off and the whole experience sucks.

by Anonymousreply 63July 2, 2018 12:28 AM

I remember we would sometimes go and get the clown ice cream cones when we were little. We would chew off the plastic tasting frosting and leave most of the stale ice cream.

Then when I was a teen I would go and get the super low-cal dacquiri ice flavor to maintain my girlish figure. Of course all that sugar has since turned to belly fat. Cruel world.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64July 2, 2018 12:51 AM

Haagen Daaz, premium icecream? LOL LOL LOL OH MY SIDES!!!!! Just because they charge more for it does not make it premium. It's a mediocre ice cream with a completely made up name that means absolutely nothing.

by Anonymousreply 65July 2, 2018 1:05 AM

OP, back in the day most people didn't even say "let's go to Baskin Robbins". We'd say "let's go to 31 flavors".

by Anonymousreply 66July 2, 2018 1:06 AM

70s

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67July 2, 2018 1:09 AM

No one said that R66,

by Anonymousreply 68July 2, 2018 1:31 AM

[quote] Haagen Daaz, premium icecream? LOL LOL LOL OH MY SIDES!!!!! Just because they charge more for it does not make it premium. It's a mediocre ice cream with a completely made up name that means absolutely nothing.

Why do I imagine R65 in front of his TV with a cat, a giant belly and a gallon tub of Breyers?

by Anonymousreply 69July 2, 2018 1:33 AM

Ice cream/frozen desserts are a much more splintered market these days. I had to pick some up for Thanksgiving last year and when I went into Whole Foods I was blown away by all the various options: diet ice cream (Halo Top, IIRC), coconut milk ice creams for the dairy free, gelatos and artisinal $15 gelatos and organic grass fed ice creams, sorbets of many kinds. And that was before you got to the HD and B&Js.

Knowing my audience, I picked up a couple pints, one of which was coconut milk and it wasn't nearly as vile as I'd expected. Kind of good actually.

by Anonymousreply 70July 2, 2018 1:40 AM

Mint ice cream is like eating toothpaste

by Anonymousreply 71July 2, 2018 1:50 AM

We didn't go there very often, but after reading this thread I remember that bubble gum ice cream very well. I'm pretty sure I got that every time I visited (maybe a couple times a year). It wasn't great. But then, I was never a big ice cream fan. Soft-serve yogurt just started to become popular in the mid-80s (at least where I lived in the midwest), and I preferred that by far.

by Anonymousreply 72July 2, 2018 1:51 AM

Besides the chocolate mint, which they always had, they would have Chocolate Brownie occasionally. The BR nearest me is paired with a Dunkin Donut.

by Anonymousreply 73July 2, 2018 1:51 AM

r58 You can still get Thrifty Ice Cream, both by the scoop and pre-packaged, at most Rite-Aid stores that used to be Thriftys. Of course it's a LOT more expensive now!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74July 2, 2018 1:56 AM

The Thrifty Ice Cream plant used to be near my office. Unfortunately, they didn't have a retail section nor did they offer tours or free samples.

by Anonymousreply 75July 2, 2018 1:56 AM

Does anyone remember Baskin-Robbins Moa-Moa Punch? ("One sip and you'll want moa and moa!") It was their version of Hawaiian Punch.

by Anonymousreply 76July 2, 2018 1:57 AM

The Americans were way ahead of England for ice-cream in the 70s until we had copycat Baskins called Dayvilles. All we had was the ice-cream van.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77July 2, 2018 1:59 AM

Is it just me or does R74's photo look clinical and depressing?

No, it's not just me. I'm certain of it.

by Anonymousreply 78July 2, 2018 2:02 AM

I loved the bubble gum ice cream, it was pink!

by Anonymousreply 79July 2, 2018 2:05 AM

We didn't have a BR in my suburb of Dallas while I was growing up in the 70s. At least I don't remember there being one. We got our ice cream scoops at either Polar Bear Ashburn's (a local chain) or Braum's (a regional chain). Polar Bear Ashburn's went out of business back in the 80s, but Braum's is still going strong. If we wanted soft-serve, we went to Dairy Queen.

by Anonymousreply 80July 2, 2018 2:08 AM

[quote]I loved the bubble gum ice cream, it was pink!

OMG! Yes! - and of course you had a nice chunk of gum in your mouth at the end.

They still make it, it seems.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81July 2, 2018 2:10 AM

R61 I think that was a regional thing maybe? I had a roommate from the Midwest and she and all her friends called it 31 Flavors while I in the south had never heard it called anything but B-R.

by Anonymousreply 82July 2, 2018 2:22 AM

r78 Well, it's inside of a drug store, not an ice cream parlor.

by Anonymousreply 83July 2, 2018 4:26 AM

Albertsons is planning to buy the remainder of the Rite-Aid chain (the stores that weren't acquired by Walgreen's) and they're committed to keeping Thrifty Ice Cream.

by Anonymousreply 84July 2, 2018 4:27 AM

[quote]Cold Stone has been closing stores.

That's nice. The founder and former CEO is Arizona Gov. Doug Ducey. Like the GOP itself, he's been a disaster for the state, destroying the social safety net and being divisive in the Trump mold. We do have good Democrats running, who may have a decent chance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85July 2, 2018 5:03 AM

I made fun of all you people who ordered bubble gum ice cream. I never said anything, but inside... Alright. Actually, it was just this one guy, but "ewww..." Bubble gum ice cream?

by Anonymousreply 86July 2, 2018 5:09 AM

[quote]Baskin Robbins is the story of America. Once great and now past usefulness. It used to offer a lot and was clean. If you walk into a Baskin Robbins today it has maybe 8 flavored. Two will be vanilla. The dregs of the last tub will be scraped from the last tub. It's glue like. It sits on top of a new opened tub. It looks disgusting. The Indian franchise owners think it's fine. They also sell burnt coffee or iced coffee that is warm and swirled with ice to use up most of the cup with ice. It renders it warm still. The flavored are boring. No wow factor at all. Nothing is wasted. All of it is shit.

[R54] Was it the codeine cough medicine that fashioned this happy description? If not, where is this nightmare store of which you speak? Even in recent years, the Baskin-Robbins stores I've been in (Los Angeles area and beyond) have been clean, "fully stocked" with at least 31 flavors (my childhood-to-adult favorites being Peanut Butter 'n' Chocolate and Pistachio Almond), and remain as much a treat as when I was a kid. Heck, the person who would volunteer to run out for B-R milkshakes for everyone could immediately turn an office full of overworked, grumpy folks into the smiling, happy people we all want to be.

OP -- If you have the opportunity, go ahead and check one out.

by Anonymousreply 87July 2, 2018 6:11 AM

They are often dirty and riddled with filth-brats.

by Anonymousreply 88July 2, 2018 6:22 AM

Lots of the same memories as R16.. B & R was a treat once every couple months when I was a kid in the 70s/80s. Their chocolate peanut butter was then and still is my all time fave.

Thrifty ice cream was great too...triple scoop for about $0.65.

For soft serve the local Tastee Freeze was the bomb back in the day.

by Anonymousreply 89July 2, 2018 6:50 AM

We usually went to Sav-on, which had 5 cent scoops, in an actual scoop shape, whereas Thrifty's 5 cent scoops were that weird cylindrical shape. Rainbow Sherbet was my favorite, and we would get our scoops while mom was shopping.

Baskin-Robbins was too expensive, but you could join their birthday club and you would get a postcard in the mail offering you a free scoop for your birthday. My favorite was Rocky Road.

Although I remember 5 cent scoops, I am more of an aging hippie than an fossil, and ice cream keeps you youthful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90July 2, 2018 6:55 AM

I don't get all of these posts as if Baskin Robbins is long gone. There are 2,500 locations in the US and another 5,000 around the world.

by Anonymousreply 91July 2, 2018 7:08 AM

Baskin Robbins is pretty common in California (where it started)--plenty of flavors and clean. According to Wikipedia, after struggling in the aughts, it's been expanding a bit in more recent years.

by Anonymousreply 92July 2, 2018 7:28 AM

I think BR franchises started opening up in Australia in the early/mid nineties. We were renting an apartment in a fairly upmarket neighbourhood at the time - and one opened down the corner on the main shopping road. The ice cream was quite good - and the family who owned that store were really nice - and we’d go there for ice cream once or twice a week. A few years later we moved - and there wasn’t one closeby. And the family sold the store we’d gone to as the rents in that area skyrocketed and it wasn’t viable anymore.

Long since settled onto our own house in an area that’s gentrifying - and a new BR opened here. Stopped in several times - but have given up now. I used to love a coconut variety they had - and later on it became coconut with chips or flakes or chocolate in it. Was sooooo good! I used to obsess over it - thought it was far and away the nicest coconut ice cream I’d ever tasted. The coconut flavour they have now just tastes like chemicals. Not in the least bit creamy - just horrible. Ditto the pralines and cream - it used to be nice. Now it’s ts just so sweet - it’s inedible. As are most of the other flavours. I have a sweet tooth and have always liked sugary treats - but this is ridiculous! I don’t believe my palate has changed that much - am sure it’s just the rush to cheapen ingredients to make a few more cents per scoop. You really can’t call it ‘premium’ now.

We have a home-grown rip-off of your Cold Stone chain - called Cold Rock. We are so original! Anyway - It has even shittier ice cream than BR. It’s like the el cheapo supermarket stuff from the seventies - but people LOVE that they mash up bits of shitty commercial candies in with it. It’s just awful.

One other bit of BR trivia - I seem to remember reading an old Pritikin diet book back in the eighties when it was a big thing. One of the testimonials to the diet regime was by one of the Baskin Robbins heirs/descendants. He’d been fat and had health problems - but he diet saved him! He talked about how when he was a kid, his family was always getting samples of new flavours - plus unlimited quantities of whatever product they wanted. His childhood was one long ice cream binge...

And the memory of so many of his relatives all dying relatively young from heart attacks and other obesity linked disease. Always stuck in my mind. I imagined how as a kid - prior to sex! - nightly ice cream binges would have been my fantasy come true. But t it comes at a price.

by Anonymousreply 93July 2, 2018 7:29 AM

Haven't had BR in decades. But have very fond memories of the place.

I'm for a very small town. We had a Tastee-Freeze that had soft serve ice cream. Chocolate and vanilla were the only flavors.

So, when we went to a mall in a larger town about an hour away, it was always a treat to stop at the Baskin Robbins in the mall. It became a ritual for my family -- last stop in the mall before heading home was the BR in center court. My favorite flavor was Strawberry Cheesecake. Also liked the Blueberry Cheesecake.

by Anonymousreply 94July 2, 2018 8:01 AM

[quote]I don't get all of these posts as if Baskin Robbins is long gone. There are 2,500 locations in the US and another 5,000 around the world.

I was noticing that too, r91. Everyone is talking as it the chain is defunct. Very weird.

But at the same time, I haven't been to Baskin Robbins in probably 20 years. Maybe longer. And if I wanted to get ice cream today, Baskin Robbins is not the first place that I would stop. Nor the second. No the third place. There's a gelato place that I would likely go to first, followed by a frozen yogurt place. There's also a Ben and Jerrys nearby. And a place that just opened six months ago that sells artisan ice cream.

The point is, Baskin Robbins is no longer on my radar. So, for all intents and purposes, the chain in DEAD TO ME. Sounds like a lot of others are having similar responses.

by Anonymousreply 95July 2, 2018 8:09 AM

[quote]We have a home-grown rip-off of your Cold Stone chain - called Cold Rock. We are so original! Anyway - It has even shittier ice cream than BR. It’s like the el cheapo supermarket stuff from the seventies - but people LOVE that they mash up bits of shitty commercial candies in with it. It’s just awful.

Coldstone is a Crappery, not a Creamery.

by Anonymousreply 96July 2, 2018 10:21 AM

I like BR better than Haagen Daz. It's lighter and tastes more like ice milk. My favorite flavor is Chocolate Mint.

We don't have a BR in our neighborhood. The only thing you can do is order an ice cream cake and it's delivered to a Dunkin' Donuts shop.

I'll never forget how great the original Haagen Daz was when they opened a shop on Barrington in Brentwood, CA. The carob ice cream was delicious. Then, HD was bought out by a big corporation and it never tasted the same. I never saw the carob flavor in grocery stores or ever again in the ice cream shops.

The HD ice cream shop near us doesn't refrigerate the ice cream properly, so it tastes like crap.

For holidays, I still buy HD Vanilla and Pralines N'Cream from the grocery store.

by Anonymousreply 97July 2, 2018 10:40 AM

"Basking Robbins.....men. Ridiculously overpriced."

I don't know who this Basking Robbins is, but if he's charging you so much get a cheaper escort, honey.

by Anonymousreply 98July 2, 2018 10:55 AM

The B-R were I lived closed. I miss them. I didn't think they were over priced and the serving size was just right.

I really don't want a giant scoop that requires an over sized waffle cone.

by Anonymousreply 99July 2, 2018 11:28 AM

[quote]HD was bought out by a big corporation and it never tasted the same.

It's Nestle. I've never tasted a difference, and I've been eating Haagen-Dazs regularly since 1983.

[quote]For holidays, I still buy HD Vanilla and Pralines N'Cream from the grocery store.

I can't get Pralines & Cream at my grocery store. If I could, every day would be a holiday.

by Anonymousreply 100July 2, 2018 1:04 PM

[quote]Were they superseded by Haagen Daz?

Did Haagen Daaz have stores? I don't recall and I'm in Manhattan.

Premium Brands such as Fruden Gladgen, not the correct spelling, were brands sold in supermarkets, not ice cream stores. I do remember Carvel and Baskin-Robbins having stand alone stores, then eventually, these brands had a small separate freezer in supermarkets. One of my local supermarkets still sells one of these brands, forgot which one.

by Anonymousreply 101July 2, 2018 1:14 PM

[quote]Did Haagen Daaz have stores?

Haagen-Dazs had stores in DC in the 1980s. One in a mini-mall downtown, another in a regular mall in VA, plus Dupont and Georgetown IIRC.

[quote]Premium Brands such as Fruden Gladgen, not the correct spelling

Frusen Glädjé. Its Pralines & Cream was my favorite. Haagen-Dazs wouldn't make that flavor for years. And now, even though they do make it, they don't sell it everywhere.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102July 2, 2018 1:21 PM

Frusen Glädjé's version of Rocky Road was amazing! It wasn't as sweet as the lower priced ice cream versions and was loaded with almonds and chocolate bits.

Wonder why they went out of business, especially as there are still high priced ice creams which took it's place. They'll always be a market for premium ice cream.

by Anonymousreply 103July 2, 2018 2:08 PM

Hasgen Day was purchased by Pillsbury in 1983. I think that is when most of us started to be introduced to the brand. Before that, it was owned by a New York couple with a couple of stores.

by Anonymousreply 104July 2, 2018 4:45 PM

Has anyone tried this place? They recently opened one near me (right across from a ColdStone, ironically.) Apparently it's a Danish take on gelato. I thought it was OK, but overpriced.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105July 2, 2018 5:29 PM

Los Angeles has Mashti Malone’s. They have Persian flavors like rosewater, saffron, and “herbal snow.” They are wonderful.

Carvel was never a part of my childhood, but I have an ongoing obsession with Cookie Puss (and, to a lesser extent, his Irish cousin Cookie O’Puss). It’s so ugly, and I can’t figure it out. Who designed it? Why? Was/is it popular? LA has only two Carvels I think, and one is a mini store. I have to get my Puss soon before it disappears completely.

by Anonymousreply 106July 2, 2018 7:41 PM

If that famous phone number still works, you can order a cake.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107July 2, 2018 7:46 PM

Boysenberry Cheesecake was my jam. Yum.

by Anonymousreply 108July 2, 2018 7:59 PM

In possibly the greatest movie promotional tie-in, Baskin Robbins teamed up with Allan Carr (She loved ice cream) to create a new taste sensation to go along with his ill-conceived Village People movie musical.

The flavor? Naturally it was called Can't Stop The Nuts. Possibly because during the YMCA showstopper there is actually a flash of peen.

Can't Stop The Music also starred someone who no longer has nuts- Bruce Jenner

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109July 2, 2018 8:08 PM

[quote] Hasgen Day was purchased by Pillsbury in 1983.

Hasgen Day? LOL

by Anonymousreply 110July 2, 2018 8:19 PM

BR Lemon Custard was to die for 30 years ago, and it's to die for today.

by Anonymousreply 111July 2, 2018 8:23 PM

Is it to be found today, r111?

by Anonymousreply 112July 2, 2018 8:42 PM

When MAME came out they had a special MAME peach flavor that month. They had hanging cardboard LUCY/MAME signs.

by Anonymousreply 113July 2, 2018 8:51 PM

r113 Now it's called ELIOLIVER.

by Anonymousreply 114July 2, 2018 9:01 PM

Have to say, I liked BR as a kid and I like it now, just as I'll enjoy stopping by any HD or B&J shop when I'm in the mood. I have to laugh at some of you grizzled DL denizens who spend so much time and vitriol bitching and moaning about something that would be a tiny, insignificant portion of anyone's life. What are your lives like when you view everything with such malignant negativity?

by Anonymousreply 115July 2, 2018 9:01 PM

OP if you're British why didn't you say "colourful" instead of "colorful"?

by Anonymousreply 116July 2, 2018 9:06 PM

OP, you've kind of inspired me to go to B-R (there are many near my house) for the first time in at least a decade. I just checked their website and they certainly have gone more "exotic" with their flavors: Blackberry Hibiscus? Creole Cream Cheese? Horchata Ice? Icing on the Cake? Miami Vice Sorbet?

Oh, and for r112, yes, they do have lemon custard.

by Anonymousreply 117July 2, 2018 9:08 PM

It's still available R112.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118July 2, 2018 9:34 PM

R115 they're just sad little nobodies who want to make themselves look more important by coming to an anonymous chat board to build up their fragile egos.

by Anonymousreply 119July 2, 2018 9:37 PM

[quote]Did Haagen Daaz have stores? I don't recall and I'm in Manhattan

They sure did. I remember having HD from stores in Manhattan on my first trip to NY in 1981 when I was 15. I also drank Perrier for the first time on that trip and thought I was the height of sophistication, coming from Indiana and all. In fact, here's Carly Simon suggestively eating a cone at a NYC Haagen Daaz (at 2:15) in her video for "Why" circa 1982. No idea when the stores went away.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120July 2, 2018 9:43 PM

LOL. There are still many Haagen Dazs stores in Manhattan and the other boroughs. Right now, in July 2018

You all need to get out more.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121July 2, 2018 9:46 PM

There used to be Ben and Jerry's stores but most of them closed. I saw one last year on Cape Cod on my way to Provincetown. Most of the Haagen Dazs stores have closed too. I mentioned this many posts ago, but does anyone remember THE premium ice cream before Haagen Dazs and Ben and Jerry's- Schrafft's?

by Anonymousreply 122July 2, 2018 10:01 PM

This thread has me wanting some B&R as well as one of those ice cream cakes. I may have to give them another shot.

by Anonymousreply 123July 2, 2018 10:01 PM

There was a very gay Haagen Daz on Bleecker nr Sixth in the 1980s.

by Anonymousreply 124July 2, 2018 10:33 PM

[quote]I'm just sad little nobody who wants to make himself look more important by coming to an anonymous chat board to build up my fragile ego.

You're too hard on yourself, R119

by Anonymousreply 125July 2, 2018 10:36 PM

Best Ice Cream in America are the local ice cream they sell at local independent Ice Scream shops.

by Anonymousreply 126July 2, 2018 10:36 PM

R125 FAIL

by Anonymousreply 127July 2, 2018 11:10 PM

You're SO sour. Fill up on some Baskin Robbins. Miight sweeten you up.

by Anonymousreply 128July 2, 2018 11:25 PM

r122 Schraft's was never nationwide like the other chains. Nor is Friendly's for that matter. Howard Johnson's was for a while, but they're gone now.

Wasn't there another chain similar to ColdStone? Marble Slab or something like that?

by Anonymousreply 129July 3, 2018 12:04 AM

HoJos was high butterfat ice cream and offered 28 flavors.

by Anonymousreply 130July 3, 2018 12:28 AM

It was 94° today, and I wish I lived next door to a Baskin-Robbins. Any flavor would be acceptable.

by Anonymousreply 131July 3, 2018 1:27 AM

As far as the limited flavors in the pre-packaged containers, their chocolate chip ice cream is very good with dark chocolate chips. My sister was obsessed with their mint chocolate chip during high school.

by Anonymousreply 132July 3, 2018 4:38 AM

Before Starbucks frappuccinos took off, I would get a Cappuccino Blast every once in a while from the Baskin Robbins at our local mall. I don't think there are any more Baskin Robbins left in my city.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133July 3, 2018 4:54 AM

At least with a name like cappuccino blast, there's a chance of getting some coffee in the drink. Starbucks Frappuccinos have practically no coffee at all, and are basically ice cream drinks.

by Anonymousreply 134July 3, 2018 4:58 AM

They were good at the time, because I don't remember store actually carrying a variety of ice cream flavors. It was always, Strawberry, Chocolate and Vanilla and maybe an odd out like Pistachio, Butter Pecan or Chocolate chip.

If you wanted a real choice you had to go to BR.

by Anonymousreply 135July 3, 2018 5:17 AM

There's no ice cream in a Frappucino. Just ice. And chemicals.

by Anonymousreply 136July 3, 2018 5:19 AM

I'm sick of this diet, I'm going to go to Colonel Sanders get a bucket of fried chicken and mashed potatoes, extra gravy, then I'm gonna go to 31 flavors, I'm gonna eat 35.

by Anonymousreply 137July 3, 2018 9:26 AM

When I was a kid nothing was more exciting than a Strawberry Fribble at Friendly's.

by Anonymousreply 138July 3, 2018 11:17 AM

We have Leopold's Ice Cream in Savannah. If you're willing to wait in a long line at times you'll end up with the most delicious ice cream on the planet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139July 3, 2018 11:45 AM

Leopold's is a real old fashioned ice cream parlor. Been here since 1919.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140July 3, 2018 11:46 AM

Celebrities at Leopold's.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141July 3, 2018 11:49 AM

Bruster's is pretty good.

by Anonymousreply 142July 3, 2018 11:53 AM

There used to be a Bruster's near me, but it closed. I liked some kind of vanilla ice cream with a raspberry swirl. Swirl is important.

by Anonymousreply 143July 3, 2018 11:55 AM

Bruster's menu.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144July 3, 2018 11:57 AM

[quote]There used to be a Bruster's near me, but it closed. I liked some kind of vanilla ice cream with a raspberry swirl. Swirl is important.

I think this is what we call "ripple" in England. It was a very big deal when we first got raspberry ripple, back in the 70s. It was MAJOR, in fact.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145July 3, 2018 12:04 PM

Yes, r145. That's what I mean. We always had Fudge Ripple, as far back as the 1950s. It was the only flavor I actually bothered with. I wasn't much of an ice cream fan until I got sober in the 1980s.

by Anonymousreply 146July 3, 2018 12:09 PM

[quote]but does anyone remember THE premium ice cream before Haagen Dazs and Ben and Jerry's- Schrafft's?

You had to speak French to the counterman. Imagine anybody speaking French to a counterman at Schrafft's!

by Anonymousreply 147July 3, 2018 12:20 PM

From age 4 onward, my poison was Daiquiri Ice.

The soccer team would head to Baskin-Robbins, and it was all peanut butter, rocky road, bubble gum from the other kids . . . and then my little gay order.

by Anonymousreply 148July 3, 2018 12:25 PM

I always hated the sound of "daiquiri." Before I ever heard anyone say it, I thought it was pronounced "Die, Queerie."

by Anonymousreply 149July 3, 2018 12:32 PM

What am I, chopped liver?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150July 3, 2018 12:40 PM

They still exist in the United States and you will find them near or with a Dunkin Donuts like R1 said.

The ice cream isn't bad but I would mainly just have it on rare occasions with friends, or family members when we had a coupon.

by Anonymousreply 151July 3, 2018 12:46 PM

r150 Dairy Queen is...something other than ice cream. Or chopped liver.

by Anonymousreply 152July 3, 2018 12:58 PM

In the 1970s, Baskin Robbins was great because they had so many different flavors and ones that kids liked. They had a bubblegum flavor that I got all the time. And they made really great ice cream cakes. However, cone and dish ice cream and the ice cream cakes seemed like their only business model and places like Dairy Queen that made sundaes and blizzards seemed to overtake the Baskin & Robbin business. I think their business seemed to wane in the late 1980s because I no longer see stand alone stores. They are always coupled with another store, mostly Dunkin Donuts.

by Anonymousreply 153July 3, 2018 1:34 PM

Dairy Queen may just be cheap cut rate ice cream, but on a hot summer night it's fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 154July 3, 2018 1:47 PM

Dairy Queen is not ice cream. Period.

by Anonymousreply 155July 3, 2018 1:48 PM

I beg to differ. If you take any of the fancy ice creams and serve them right out of the machine that makes them they'll be just like Dairy Queen ice cream. And if you put Dairy Queen ice cream in a container and put it in the freezer it will end up just like the hard serve ice creams you buy. Just because they don't have all the different flavors the other guys have means nothing. It's heavy cream and eggs and flavoring churned until it thickens, JUST LIKE EVERYONE ELSE.

by Anonymousreply 156July 3, 2018 1:56 PM

Differ away, R156.

by Anonymousreply 157July 3, 2018 1:58 PM

Dairy Queen is awesome. And so much lighter and less greasy than the stuff they call soft ice cream in England.

(I remember choking with horror the first time I got an ice cream cone 'with a flake' as a young tourist in London. It all looked like such a delicious reversal of the dairy queen chocolate shell dip I had at home! Yes. The flake was superior to flavored shell mix -- but the soft ice cream was like some sort of sugared lard. WTF.)

by Anonymousreply 158July 3, 2018 2:11 PM

R158 here

I forgot, it was called a 99 flake.

by Anonymousreply 159July 3, 2018 2:16 PM

OP, English person, please tell us about Mr. Whippy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160July 3, 2018 2:33 PM

Scroll down for list of ingredients. It's so nasty, they won't let you copy it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161July 3, 2018 2:37 PM

I'm trying to remember what we called what is now known as Chocolate Ripple or Fudge Ripple or Swirl. It had a different name ... I don't remember hearing "ripple" until I moved from CA to the east coast.

BTW, did you know that a product using the word "fudge" as part of its name doesn't have to contain any actual chocolate? Same with something described as "chocolatey." I avoid things (cookies, cereal, ice cream, etc.) with those descriptors.

by Anonymousreply 162July 3, 2018 4:12 PM

There is something similar called Moose Tracks, R162, though I think that may contain other elements than just a chocolate swirl. Also, my Fudge Ripple memories are from the 1950s, so I imagine it hadn't had its chocolate removed yet.

by Anonymousreply 163July 3, 2018 4:26 PM

After college I moved to an area that had Carvel's so the commercial was on tv. Oh god, that creepy voice saying "cookie puss". Traumatized for life. The one time I went into one of their shops, it was like fluorescent lighting and dirty white tile and freezer frost over all the items in the case.

BR came in and took over from your grandparents' favorites, Howard Johnsons and Friendlys. It was the hip new place. Then HD superseded them. Then Ben & Jerry's overtook HD. Nowadays there are so many good independent ice cream shops, why bother go to a chain?

by Anonymousreply 164July 3, 2018 5:00 PM

Oh god -- that was it! A whippy! What the hell was that stuff? Was there lard in it or something?

Dairy Queen soft ice cream is simply a blend of ice-cream and ice-milk according to that ingredient list you provided R161.

by Anonymousreply 165July 3, 2018 5:08 PM

Many "independent" ice cream places just sell stuff manufactured by someone else (like Dreyer's/Edy's.)

by Anonymousreply 166July 3, 2018 5:08 PM

R155: A good local frozen custard place is easily better than Dairy Queen. It's hardly the same as B-R, HD, et al.

by Anonymousreply 167July 3, 2018 7:01 PM

We have these weird freaky places opening in London. What the fuck is "artisanal nitrogen ice cream"?

& where has the COLO(U)R gone? It's supposed to be an ice-cream parlor. Sheesh! (& I never say sheesh)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168July 3, 2018 7:28 PM

Inside.

This is NOT how an ice-cream parlour should look.

An ice-cream parlour should make you HAPPY.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169July 3, 2018 7:30 PM

THIS is HAPPY.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170July 3, 2018 7:32 PM

and THIS is HAPPY.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 171July 3, 2018 7:33 PM

HAPPY.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172July 3, 2018 7:37 PM

I visited 31 flavors a lot as a child growing up on the SF Peninsula. My favorite was always Jamoca Almond Fudge (sp?). The air conditioning was the best thing on hot summer days. The people with the franchise kept it glacial!

Later on, I moved to Santa Cruz and became aware of health nut John Robbins, son of BR's founder, living in town. He had turned away from the sugar and butterfat of the family product and promoted healthier eating.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 173July 3, 2018 8:48 PM

[quotw]After college I moved to an area that had Carvel's so the commercial was on tv. Oh god, that creepy voice saying "cookie puss". Traumatized for life. The one time I went into one of their shops, it was like fluorescent lighting and dirty white tile and freezer frost over all the items in the case.

That was the actual owner, Tom Carvel's, voice on the TV ads and he sometimes appeared in them too. Or are you talking about the synthesizer manipulated Cookie Puss cartoony voice? Tom Carvel sounded like he had a mouthful of cotton balls in his mouth.

The Beastie Boys even did a tribute song to Cookie Puss.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 174July 3, 2018 9:49 PM

I notice 31 flavors (and we like tutti-frutti best!).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 175July 3, 2018 10:10 PM

The nitrogen thing referenced above is a new trend, I gather. They use liquid nitrogen to flash-freeze a customized mixture that you order -- so instead of "mix-ins" like Coldstone uses to customize the ice cream, the entire product is custom made from the beginning.

by Anonymousreply 176July 3, 2018 11:02 PM

Yesterday, I tried a couple of flavors of Halo Top. Left me rather underwhelmed.

by Anonymousreply 177July 3, 2018 11:04 PM

I grew up with this:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 178July 3, 2018 11:11 PM

here r164

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 179July 3, 2018 11:30 PM

Did that carvel guy get a deal on a bunch of giant plastic light bulb molds or what?

by Anonymousreply 180July 3, 2018 11:56 PM

We were a total baskin Robbins family growing up. Chocolate mousse royale, English toffee, rainbow sherbet and pralines and cream were my fave. Also most of my bday ice cream cakes growing up were the fudge roll cake from BR. None of the BR stores are here any more. Fun fact friendly's butter crunch ice cream tastes exactly like BR English Toffee!

by Anonymousreply 181July 4, 2018 12:26 AM

Two of the Baskin siblings work in showbiz. Richard Baskin is an American film composer and producer, best known as the writer of several songs for the Robert Altman film Nashville, and other creative film scores in the 1970s and 1980s. He eventually became a film director, directing music videos with Barbra Streisand, Rod Stewart, Elton John, and many others, as well as feature films. In 1985, Baskin produced and arranged Barbra Streisand's The Broadway Album.

His sister Edie Baskin shot the celebrity 'bumper' photos for Saturday Night Live during the 1970s, she also didn't other photos for the show. Their mother was the sister of Baskin-Robbin's co-founder Irv Robbins!

by Anonymousreply 182July 4, 2018 12:34 AM

I was obsessed with Kinky and would sing this endlessly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 183July 4, 2018 1:38 AM

[quote]And apparently, there are still plenty of them around in the San Fernando Valley.

Almost as many Baskin Robbins here as there are "waterbugs".

by Anonymousreply 184July 4, 2018 2:45 AM

We do get one good specialty flavour, beavertail, here in Canada. It’s based on a fried pastry called a beavertail.

by Anonymousreply 185July 4, 2018 3:38 AM

daiquiri ice was my favorite flavor

by Anonymousreply 186July 4, 2018 5:27 AM

FYI, Cookie Puss is neither male nor female. Its initials, CP, stand for Celestial Person.

by Anonymousreply 187July 4, 2018 6:35 AM

My favorite ice cream flavor they stopped making in 2006. Ben and Jerry's Wavy Gravy!

by Anonymousreply 188July 4, 2018 12:01 PM

I've been looking at the prices here in England.

one scoop = $4.00 + extra $1.31 for a cone.

a large milkshake = £6.99 = $9.25

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 189July 4, 2018 12:56 PM

I was never a fan of chain ice cream places.

I'm very lucky to have always lived within a 30-45 minute drive away from a real ice cream parlor (in Bloomfield, NJ) that goes back decades.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 190July 4, 2018 1:03 PM

R184 I think the BR factory is in the Valley over by the riding stables near Griffith Park.

We had a Stone Cold Creamery near us in NYC but it didn't last that long. The ice cream was too thick and too rich. Every person I know who tried it got explosive diarrhea.

by Anonymousreply 191July 4, 2018 1:59 PM

R87 really had a nerve hit lol

by Anonymousreply 192July 4, 2018 2:14 PM

I use to go to Gordons Ice Cream Parlor in Columbus Ohio right on the edge of OSU campus. It was all gay guys working there in the early 80's and they were sexy gay boys. Gordons was the first to sell Häagen-Dazs in Columbus Ohio, I remember stopping in to buy rum raisin but also to look at the guys in their tight jeans. If you ordered coffee with cream they would use a little scoop of vanilla ice cream instead of milk in your coffee.

by Anonymousreply 193July 4, 2018 3:11 PM

Haagen Dazs had been around a while by the early 80s. Probably not middle brow enough in those days for Columbus to be a test market.

by Anonymousreply 194July 5, 2018 11:16 PM

A scoop of BR ice cream is $2.99 here (San Fernando Valley). On the 31st of every month, rhe scoops are only $1.31. However, I have caught employees at certain shops using the kid scooper for the discounted ice cream. Fortunately, the one up the street from our home uses the normal scooper.

by Anonymousreply 195July 5, 2018 11:24 PM

[quote]I'm very lucky to have always lived within a 30-45 minute drive away from a real ice cream parlor (in Bloomfield, NJ) that goes back decades.

We went to Gruning's. It no longer exists, unfortunately. And there was Jahn's.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 196July 6, 2018 12:37 AM

We went to the Jahn's in Union, NJ.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 197July 6, 2018 12:39 AM

R171 Thanks for that pic! I always loved the BR chairs with the wee table attached when I was a kid. I would be excited if I got to sit there and eat my cone instead of taking it to go. I loved Fudge Brownie and German Chocolate Cake at BR and had ice cream birthday cakes a couple times from there too. It was pretty rare to go to pricey BR, there was a Save-On and a Thrifty Drug Store within inches of BR, so when we'd go out for bargain ice cream cones on a hot summer night, the family of 5 would leave Thrifty spending maybe a dollar for all of us. 15¢ for a triple scoop cone made my greedy kid heart fill with joy. That was returning 2 or 3 coke bottles. We sometimes went to Foster's Freeze or Tasty Freeze for fake ice cream dipped in that hardening chocolate. My mom like something they made with ice cream and orange drink that was similar to an Orange Julius. I stop for A & W root beer floats when I road trip up 101, north of SF. Sluurrrp.

by Anonymousreply 198July 6, 2018 2:10 AM

Our Thrifty Drug had odd- shaped scoops. They were like a cylinder with a flat top.

Foster's Freeze was good.

by Anonymousreply 199July 6, 2018 5:18 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!