Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The role that destroyed their careers

Ready, set, go...

by Anonymousreply 318July 15, 2018 5:12 PM

Faye Dunaway ~ Mommy Dearest

by Anonymousreply 1July 1, 2018 5:11 AM

Will Smith - After Earth

by Anonymousreply 2July 1, 2018 5:13 AM

Elizabeth Berkley - Showgirls

by Anonymousreply 3July 1, 2018 5:14 AM

R1 Beat me to it.

by Anonymousreply 4July 1, 2018 5:16 AM

Mike Myers — The Love Guru

by Anonymousreply 5July 1, 2018 5:16 AM

Michael Beck....Xanadu!

by Anonymousreply 6July 1, 2018 5:20 AM

Geena Davis — Cutthroat Island

by Anonymousreply 7July 1, 2018 5:21 AM

Kevin Costner — The Postman

by Anonymousreply 8July 1, 2018 5:22 AM

Adam Sandler.

The last 20 movies he shat out.

by Anonymousreply 9July 1, 2018 5:25 AM

“Batman & Robin” —Alicia Silverstone & Chris o Donnell

by Anonymousreply 10July 1, 2018 5:33 AM

Kevin Costner's career ain't over.

He was bankable after Postman for what he does.

That's like my suggesting Joaquin Phoenix destroyed his credibility and career for "I'm Still Here" stunt and 'in character' (?) promotional period.

Yes, whole debacle, like Kostner's, a legitimate professional embarassment no question.

Yet, both actors thrived onwards with plum roles and work.

by Anonymousreply 11July 1, 2018 5:54 AM

Mommy dearest

by Anonymousreply 12July 1, 2018 5:55 AM

If Mommie Dearest killed her career how did Faye win a Golden Globe and Emmy in the '90s?

Not saying it didn't have a negative effect, but kill it?

by Anonymousreply 13July 1, 2018 6:16 AM

Colin Farrell- Alexander

by Anonymousreply 14July 1, 2018 6:22 AM

Vic Morrow - helicopter scene guy, Twilight Zone

by Anonymousreply 15July 1, 2018 6:27 AM

John Travolta-- Gotti

by Anonymousreply 16July 1, 2018 6:38 AM

R15 (and similar responses) is the only reason I visit DL ...

by Anonymousreply 17July 1, 2018 6:52 AM

Brandon Lee - The Crow

by Anonymousreply 18July 1, 2018 6:58 AM

Atlanta-Blake Chandler

by Anonymousreply 19July 1, 2018 7:00 AM

Diana Ross - The Wiz

Kerry Fox - Intimacy She's worked steadily since but she got a lot of flack for the unsimulated sex scenes (the IMDB threads were vicious). Her co-star, Mark Rylance, has gone on to a distinguished career.

Maria Pitillo - Godzilla (1998)

by Anonymousreply 20July 1, 2018 7:04 AM

Richard Gere - The Gerbil Whisperer

by Anonymousreply 21July 1, 2018 7:08 AM

Joan Crawford- Trog

by Anonymousreply 22July 1, 2018 7:10 AM

honey joan's career was already destroyed before trog....why the hell do you think she was in trog?

by Anonymousreply 23July 1, 2018 7:11 AM

Maxwell Caulfield -- Grease 2 Christopher Atkins -- A Night in Heaven Dudley Moore -- Six Weeks

by Anonymousreply 24July 1, 2018 7:12 AM

John Lloyd Young: "Oy Vey, My Son is Gay."

by Anonymousreply 25July 1, 2018 7:15 AM

[quote] “Batman & Robin” —Alicia Silverstone & Chris o Donnell

Probably true but unfair. It's the one and only Batman movie I've liked.

by Anonymousreply 26July 1, 2018 7:19 AM

I do not remember Richard Gere's career ever being over.

by Anonymousreply 27July 1, 2018 7:20 AM

Patty Duke - VOTD

by Anonymousreply 28July 1, 2018 7:21 AM

Sharon Tate - VOTD

by Anonymousreply 29July 1, 2018 7:22 AM

Barbara Parkins - VOTD

by Anonymousreply 30July 1, 2018 7:24 AM

Hayden Christensen: Star Wars

by Anonymousreply 31July 1, 2018 7:25 AM

Eddie Murphy - Norbit

by Anonymousreply 32July 1, 2018 7:25 AM

Sofia Coppola - The Godfather Part III

by Anonymousreply 33July 1, 2018 7:33 AM

Paul Mercurio - Exit to Eden....although his huge, round, sweaty bubble butt surely became fapping fodder for millions.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34July 1, 2018 7:33 AM

Why did Eddie do those silly movies? I just don't understand a guy with that much talent, doing those films. Was he that desperate for money?

by Anonymousreply 35July 1, 2018 7:35 AM

Some actors invariably destroy perfectly good roles. G comes to mind.

by Anonymousreply 36July 1, 2018 7:38 AM

Josh Lucas in Poseidon...he was an up and comer and grabbed the lead in a huge Wolfgang Peterson remake of an adventure classic and...it bombed. And, Josh was done as a lead.

Was it his fault?

No (it had a shit script and was horribly cast; it had three main female characters, all 20something brunettes you couldn't tell apart; zero characters to really give a shit about...)

by Anonymousreply 37July 1, 2018 7:43 AM

r35 Eddie Murphy has always had shit taste in movies. He made some turkeys even during his peak fame. But when he was Oscar-nominated for Dreamgirls and followed it up with Norbit, he just looked foolish.

r37 good one. Poseidon is not as bad as I thought back when it came out but Lucas didn't really get to stand out like Hackman did in '71. The script, like you said, was shit and none of the characters were likable.

by Anonymousreply 38July 1, 2018 7:48 AM

R10 you’re spot on. R26 me too! The movie was like a campy modern day 90’s nod to the old tv show. The cheesy one liners.

Mr. Freeze (To Robin after freezing him) : “Stay cool, bird boy.”

Poison Ivy (Terrible villainess Laugh) Hahahaha, GOTTA GO, So Many PEOPLE TO KILL! So little TIME.

Bruce Wayne to Dick Grayson : She’s trying to kill you Dick!

Batgirl to Poison Ivy (Before kicking her ass) : You’re about to become compost.

Bane setting up a bunch of explosives : Bomb.......Bomb.

by Anonymousreply 39July 1, 2018 8:07 AM

Yeah and it's the only Batman that I found had the comic book vibe with its cheesiness and ridiculously good looking Batman and Robin. Oh and those batnips and codpieces.

by Anonymousreply 40July 1, 2018 8:27 AM

Faye to this day maintains it was Frank Perry's unmoderated direction of her in Mommie Dearest that led to the performance that scuttled her career but I was watching "Eyes of Laura Mars" the other night and that bitch has ALWAYS had a natural inclination toward scenery chewing, histrionics and sky high camp. Frankly, some of her line readings (MICHEALLLL!!!" ) had me feeling embarrassed for her. I'm sure THAT was the directors fault as well. Now don't get me wrong---Faye has real screen presence and charisma and I LOVE the OTT drama but let's face it, verisimilitude is NOT her strong suit. Neither is self-awareness, apparently.

by Anonymousreply 41July 1, 2018 8:29 AM

Brooke Shields - 'Mrs. Wolverton' in Freeway. Never had another memorable movie role again after that one.

by Anonymousreply 42July 1, 2018 8:35 AM

And she was good in that, [R42]! The movie belongs to young, sassy Reese W. (how could it not?) but Brooke was really good in a dark but pivotal part...

by Anonymousreply 43July 1, 2018 8:38 AM

OMG, [R41], I thought the exact same thing when I watched “Laura Mars” a few weeks back!!

Faye is deliciously over the top in that (and young Tommy Lee Jones is trying to give a “grounded” performance in this crazy movie..) but it definitely reminded me of her “Mommy Dearest” performance a lot.

It’s very “big” in the classic Hollywood grande dame sort of tradition and both performances are very “Faye”—and I don’t think that there’s anything wrong with that...

by Anonymousreply 44July 1, 2018 8:44 AM

Midler - Jinxed Midler - Stella Midler - Scenes From a Mall Midler - For the Boys Midler - Drowning Mona

by Anonymousreply 45July 1, 2018 8:50 AM

[quote]Brooke Shields - 'Mrs. Wolverton' in Freeway. Never had another memorable movie role again after that one.

I would say it was "Sahara" and Princeton that derailed Brooke's career. As well as turning down roles in "Scarface" and the lead in "Splash". I would have loved to have seen her play "Madison".

I actually like "Sahara" and Brooke is STUNNINGLY GORGEOUS in it. Arguably, one of the most beautiful women to have ever stepped foot in front of a camera.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46July 1, 2018 8:56 AM

People often cite "Blue Lagoon" or "Endless Love" but I think Brooke reached the peak of her beauty in "Sahara". Women simply do NOT get more beautiful than how she appeared in that film. As soon as she went to Princeton and gained 25 "protective" lbs. that transitory moment of physical perfection would never return.

'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47July 1, 2018 9:09 AM

R27 it actually did look like Geres career was dead by the late 80s but since his Internal Affairs/Pretty Woman comeback he’s had a remarkably good run. His acting improved a ton as well.

by Anonymousreply 48July 1, 2018 9:17 AM

In regards to hopes for a reborn movie career - Lucille Ball in "Mame."

by Anonymousreply 49July 1, 2018 9:19 AM

Demi Moore, THE SCARLET LETTER, GI JANE, STRIPTEASE.

by Anonymousreply 50July 1, 2018 12:06 PM

[quote]Christopher Atkins -- A Night in Heaven

What career did Christopher Atkins have before A Night in Heaven?

by Anonymousreply 51July 1, 2018 3:57 PM

Klinton Spilsbury, "The Lone Ranger."

by Anonymousreply 52July 1, 2018 5:05 PM

Alden Ehrenreich, "Solo."

by Anonymousreply 53July 1, 2018 5:06 PM

Tony Geary- Luke Spencer "General Hospital". That was his opinion anyway. That's what he always figured stopped him from becoming a big movie star.

by Anonymousreply 54July 1, 2018 5:18 PM

R53, hope you're wrong about Alden Ehrenreich. I find him a very talented actor. If you haven't seen Hail, Caesar! he completely steals the show.

by Anonymousreply 55July 1, 2018 5:26 PM

Taylor Kitsch in John Carter

David Caruso in the one forgettable movie he did after CSI.

Jack Huston in Ben-Hur.

Would you all agree that Hollywood gives prospective leading men one shot at the big brass ring and then drops them if it's a miserable failure? Seems like it's true.

by Anonymousreply 56July 1, 2018 5:39 PM

[quote]Would you all agree that Hollywood gives prospective leading men one shot at the big brass ring and then drops them if it's a miserable failure? Seems like it's true.

Depends on the guy R56. Looke at Jake G. or Ryan Reynolds. Even Effron was allowed to come back after his drug binge.

by Anonymousreply 57July 1, 2018 5:40 PM

R57 What was GG's Waterloo film? I don't remember.

Nightcrawler secures his place as one of the greats for me.

by Anonymousreply 58July 1, 2018 5:49 PM

Lady Gaga--Born this Way

by Anonymousreply 59July 1, 2018 5:51 PM

Linda Blair- Exorcist 2: The Heretic

by Anonymousreply 60July 1, 2018 5:53 PM

R58 - Prince of Persia, I suppose

by Anonymousreply 61July 1, 2018 6:05 PM

R13, Mommie Dearest, The Wicked Lady, and Supergirl killed Faye's [bold]film[/bold] career. After those turkeys, she was no longer A-list, and was relegated to tv miniseries and movies of the week.

by Anonymousreply 62July 1, 2018 6:06 PM

R3, "Showgirls" did't destroy Elizabeth Berkley's career. That movie made it. Before, she was a supporting actress in a cheesy kid's show, but after "Showgirls," she got to do "The First Wives Club" and earned roles in Woody Allen and Oliver Stone movies. Even the more successful members of the "Saved By the Bell" cast had to settle for replacement roles on aging hits and basic cable fluff, while she got to work for Oscar-winning auteurs.

Without "Showgirls," Elizabeth Berkley would just be Lark Voorhees, and that's not a fate to wish on any actor.

by Anonymousreply 63July 1, 2018 6:19 PM

Meg Ryan - Proof of Life. Hard to believe it was only 2 years after You’ve Got Mail.

The combination of bad movie/affair with co-star/divorce from Hollywood husband was more than anyone could have survived.

Add to that just terrible PR. She did one of those Barbara Walters interviews where her rom com sweet girl persona was completely destroyed in 10 awful minutes.

by Anonymousreply 64July 1, 2018 7:59 PM

"Mr. and Mrs. Smith"

by Anonymousreply 65July 1, 2018 8:07 PM

Her plastic surgeries didn't help either R64.

by Anonymousreply 66July 1, 2018 8:08 PM

Marthe Keller -- Bobby Deerfield

by Anonymousreply 67July 1, 2018 8:50 PM

He still tries to deny it, but the chances are very good that Eddie Murphy lost the Oscar because of "Norbit".

by Anonymousreply 68July 1, 2018 8:54 PM

Jaden Smith--all the music and movies he has evern made

by Anonymousreply 69July 1, 2018 8:59 PM

@R68 - Got to learn how to play the DL Way - Always include the reference in question, SVP.

by Anonymousreply 70July 1, 2018 9:07 PM

Lindsay Lohan- I know who killed me Christina Ricci- That darn cat Johnny depp- the Lone Ranger Sean pettyfer- beastly

by Anonymousreply 71July 1, 2018 9:10 PM

Cher’s infomercials destroyed her film career, although they weren’t movie roles per se...

by Anonymousreply 72July 1, 2018 9:12 PM

[quote]Arguably, one of the most beautiful women to have ever stepped foot in front of a camera.

Se had Brezhnev's eyebrows.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73July 1, 2018 9:20 PM

Bruce Jenner - Can't Stop the Music

by Anonymousreply 74July 1, 2018 9:40 PM

Anthony Perkins - Mahogany

by Anonymousreply 75July 1, 2018 9:40 PM

Any character actor that broke out in a role in which he played a believable psychopath. So, the guys who played: 1) Edith Bunker's rapist 2) Buffalo Bill in Silence of the Lambs and 3) The serial killer on Dirty Harry. (Sorry, too lazy to look up their names).

Also, I thought it was Brenda Starr that killed Brooke Shield's movie career. I remember how that was going to be the film that was going to put her back on the map again and it bombing so badly that she finally jumped ship to television.

by Anonymousreply 76July 1, 2018 9:41 PM

Pia Zadora for her Golden Globe win in "Butterfly." The rumor at the time was that her husband paid the judges to vote for her.

by Anonymousreply 77July 1, 2018 9:46 PM

Jake Gyllenhaal - Prince of Persia

by Anonymousreply 78July 1, 2018 9:50 PM

I thought it was In The Cut that destroyed Ryan’s career and I think she showed her kitty in also. Black Snake Moan Ricci was obviously suffering from Anorexia and it was a very sordid , embarrassing role. Brown Bunny killed two birds with one stone, Chloe Sevigny and Vincent Gallo.

by Anonymousreply 79July 1, 2018 9:50 PM

Uma Thuman in Motherhood.

by Anonymousreply 80July 1, 2018 10:25 PM

Farrah Fawcett - Somebody Killed Her Husband (aka Somebody Killed Her Career), Sunburn, Saturn 3

by Anonymousreply 81July 1, 2018 10:39 PM

Michael Ontkean, "Making Love" played gay, quite well, but the biz never forgave or wanted him again,

brave man

by Anonymousreply 82July 1, 2018 10:44 PM

Out of curiosity, what killed Sally Struthers' career? For a while, it looked like she might amount to something.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83July 1, 2018 10:50 PM

R82 But Ontkean went on to a pivotal role in Twin Peaks, arguably one of the most critically acclaimed television shows of all time.

So it didn't kill his career.

by Anonymousreply 84July 1, 2018 10:50 PM

Angel Heart - Lisa Bonet

Showgirls - Elizabeth Birkley

R82> That's odd considering Harry Hamlin was just as convincing and went on to have a successful career after Making Love.

by Anonymousreply 85July 1, 2018 10:51 PM

I thought Faye underplayed many of her scenes like with Tommy and Michael in the taxi and talking to the models.

Yes, she showed histrionics when being stalked by the killer and seeing the visions, but that makes sense when an eye-stabbing killer is after you.

Love Eyes of Laura Mars.

by Anonymousreply 86July 1, 2018 10:59 PM

GLORIA, the TV spinoff of ALL IN THE FAMILY, effectively killed off Sally Struthers' career. Infomercials and regional theatre notwithstanding.

SS has been a punchline for so long that people forget that she'd done some interesting work in film (FIVE EASY PIECES, THE GETAWAY) even before ALL IN THE FAMILY, where she won 2 Emmys. GLORIA, however, only lasted 1 season--one of the rare unsuccessful spinoffs of AITF--and poor SS was cast to the wolves.

Unfairly, I think. I'm not a major fan (even though dear Carroll O'Connor was) but I think she's gotten a bit of a raw deal. TV does eat its talent too much of the time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87July 1, 2018 11:21 PM

Be fair.

Recently I rewatched Five Easy Pieces and she's not in it for much. Kinda like Beatrice Straight in Network.

Fanny Flagg, Billy Greenbush (what happened to him?), even Aunt Liz from Another World is in that movie.

LOVE Palm Apodaca

by Anonymousreply 88July 1, 2018 11:27 PM

Her IMDb says otherwise R87.

by Anonymousreply 89July 1, 2018 11:31 PM

Jennifer Lawrence-mother!

by Anonymousreply 90July 1, 2018 11:37 PM

Dennis Quaid -Great Balls of Fire. He even toured thinking he was Jerry Lee Lewis!

by Anonymousreply 91July 1, 2018 11:43 PM

R63, while I agree that Showgirls made Berkeley a star and I think her performance makes the film as fun as it is, the hype surrounding her at the time was heavy and she was supposed to be launched into the A list in the same way that Sharon Stone was with Basic Instinct.

So the film didn’t destroy her career, but it did destroy her chance at the A list.

by Anonymousreply 92July 1, 2018 11:54 PM

Kevin Kline: WILD WILD WEST (1999)

He was already aging out of any potential leading man roles, but this was the nail in the coffin. A high-profile, big studio BOMB.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93July 2, 2018 12:33 AM

Ann Reinking at the Oscars. She still had a Broadway career but her Hollywood career stopped with this performance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94July 2, 2018 1:07 AM

R93, Nobody could ever surpass the glory that was Robert Conrad in the original.

by Anonymousreply 95July 2, 2018 1:08 AM

Julia Ormand - Sabrina. Instant star and has been in 6 months. The NYT put her on the cover of the Sunday magazine section when that still mattered.

There was so much male A list talent behind and in front of the camera that they had no choice but to throw her under a chauffeur driven limo.

by Anonymousreply 96July 2, 2018 1:13 AM

Dawson's 50 load weekend part 36. His enthusiasm was waning and it was palpable.

by Anonymousreply 97July 2, 2018 1:26 AM

Claire Forlani in Meet Joe Black

by Anonymousreply 98July 2, 2018 1:38 AM

Roseanne Barr in the rebooted "Roseanne."

by Anonymousreply 99July 2, 2018 1:43 AM

Rob Lowe after his "Snow White" Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 100July 2, 2018 1:52 AM

R93. Are you really that ignorant or a shit stirrer? Kline recently won a Tony for best actor and has a shitload of award post 1999. Hardly evidence of a destroyed career.

by Anonymousreply 101July 2, 2018 1:54 AM

Laugh In - Judy Carne s the "Sock It To Me Girl".

She complained about it. The part was dialed back in season two. It was eliminated in season three, and she was released mid season. Pretty much done in show biz after that.

by Anonymousreply 102July 2, 2018 1:58 AM

R102, it was Judy's drug problem that derailed her career.

by Anonymousreply 103July 2, 2018 2:08 AM

Phoebe Cates -- Drop Dead Fred

Christopher Jones and Sarah Miles -- Ryan's Daughter

by Anonymousreply 104July 2, 2018 2:34 AM

Man, you guys are off your game today!

Michael Meyers, The Love Guru--He was riding high after the Austin Powers franchise. This was the movie that sent his career into a screeching halt.

Ned Beatty, Deliverance--Yeah, he appeared in the Superman movies later but that infamous rape scene totally killed his career.

Sharon Stone, Sliver-- I remember that this was the movie that ended her status as It Girl and leading lady. It was such a colossal bomb that people reportedly threw things at one of the screenings.

John Travolta, Battlefield Earth-- Travolta's career always had ups and downs but I think that was the movie that killed it completely, especially because of the Scientology thing. He never really bounced back after this one.

Demi Moore, The Scarlet Letter-- Yes, she starred in a series of bad movies around this time but I remember that this was the one that put the nail in the coffin.

Adam Sandler, Jack and Jill-- The movie that made even his die hard fans turn against him.

Malcolm MacDowell, Caligula-- Did his career ever recover from this movie? I don't think so.

by Anonymousreply 105July 2, 2018 3:37 AM

Jon-Erik Hexum - Cover Up

by Anonymousreply 106July 2, 2018 3:56 AM

Ben Affleck in Gigli

by Anonymousreply 107July 2, 2018 3:58 AM

R94 I still don’t get what was so bad or “career ending” about that performance. Her singing is good enough and her dancing is fantastic.

If anyone’s career should have taken a hit after the Oscars it was the year Teri Garr hosted - that was embarrassing . And yet I would never hold some embarrassing Oscar performance or moment against anyone - it happens way too often.

by Anonymousreply 108July 2, 2018 5:49 AM

[quote]That's odd considering Harry Hamlin was just as convincing and went on to have a successful career after Making Love.

R85, actually Harry Hamlin has said in interviews that for several years after 'Making Love' he had trouble getting hired for good roles.

Yes, he did go on to make it big with 'L.A. Law', but It took several years before his career revived.

by Anonymousreply 109July 2, 2018 5:55 AM

r105 huh? "Totally killed his career"? Beatty went on to be nominated for an Oscar for Network and two Emmy awards. He has a long list of credits and was also on Roseanne for a few years playing the father of John Goodman's character.

by Anonymousreply 110July 2, 2018 6:05 AM

[quote]Malcolm MacDowell, Caligula-- Did his career ever recover from this movie? I don't think so.

McDowell never again achieved the heights of "A Clockwork Orange"', but he has continued to find steady work in film and television for the past 40 years.

There are many unemployed actors who wish they could have his career.

by Anonymousreply 111July 2, 2018 7:54 AM

Lou Diamond Phillips - Agaguk

by Anonymousreply 112July 2, 2018 8:47 AM

Natalie Wood - "Brainstorm"

by Anonymousreply 113July 2, 2018 9:09 AM

[quote]Klinton Spilsbury, "The Lone Ranger."

Baby, with that ridiculous name he was a non-starter before the damn movie was even RELEASED.

by Anonymousreply 114July 2, 2018 9:29 AM

R110, exactly! I could't believe R105 said Deliverence ended Beatty's career. If anything it made his career. It was essentially his first big role in what became a big film. Beatty was never going t for be a Hollywood leading man. He had a strong career in supporting roles in film and television, a few leading roles in minor films and some tv movies, and both leading and supporting roles on stage.

by Anonymousreply 115July 2, 2018 11:27 AM

Olivia Newton-John Soul Kiss

by Anonymousreply 116July 2, 2018 11:50 AM

[quote]Man, you guys are off your game today!

R105, but some of those were already mentioned (Love Guru, Striptease, Adam Sandler's 10-year oeuvre)..

by Anonymousreply 117July 2, 2018 12:44 PM

Karen Black - "Airport 1975"

by Anonymousreply 118July 2, 2018 12:44 PM

Adam West - Batman.

by Anonymousreply 119July 2, 2018 12:58 PM

[R105] huh? "Totally killed his career"? Beatty went on to be nominated for an Oscar for Network and two Emmy awards. He has a long list of credits and was also on Roseanne for a few years playing the father of John Goodman's character.

Simmer down, fanboy. Ned Beatty had a chance to break out as a major actor; instead he was downgraded to character actor and turned up in a bunch of comic relief/sidekick roles because no one could take him seriously because of Deliverance.

by Anonymousreply 120July 2, 2018 1:00 PM

Louise Fletcher in Exorcist II: The Heretic

[quote]John Lloyd Young: "Oy Vey, My Son is Gay."

I swear I thought that was meant to be a joke. Then I checked it out . . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121July 2, 2018 1:10 PM

R34 Wow, just looked up Paul Mercurio - he has aged horribly.

by Anonymousreply 122July 2, 2018 1:24 PM

r121, Hence, my signature at r25!

by Anonymousreply 123July 2, 2018 1:32 PM

R121, Is that what drove Lainie Kazan to shoplifting groceries?

by Anonymousreply 124July 2, 2018 2:29 PM

Naomi Watts as Diana.

by Anonymousreply 125July 2, 2018 2:36 PM

Charlie Hunnam - King Arthur

by Anonymousreply 126July 2, 2018 2:40 PM

Sharon Stone Catwoman and Basic Instinct 2

Subsequently Catwoman also deep sixed Halle Berry’s career.

by Anonymousreply 127July 2, 2018 2:53 PM

Thanks, r87, about Sally Struthers.

by Anonymousreply 128July 2, 2018 3:06 PM

Oscar-winner Shirley Jones is a famous example of this. She was told that if she accepted the mom role in "The Partridge Family," her movie career would die as a result. They were right. She hasn't acted in any noteworthy big-screen movie since, and today, she's pretty much known only for having been Mrs. Partridge.

by Anonymousreply 129July 2, 2018 3:14 PM

r129, her movie career was already over by then

by Anonymousreply 130July 2, 2018 3:16 PM

Ned Beatty is a big pussy hound. Married 4 times and has 8 children.

by Anonymousreply 131July 2, 2018 9:43 PM

For all her claims of being "Mensa", Sharon Stone sure had no intellect when it came to picking scripts.

by Anonymousreply 132July 2, 2018 10:16 PM

Actors make bad decisions concerning scripts all the time R132. It has nothing to do with intellect.

by Anonymousreply 133July 2, 2018 10:22 PM

R133, right, I figure what scripts look like in the beginning is often drastically different from what they are at the end of the movie making process. For instance, Mean Girls was supposed to be way darker than what we see on screen.

by Anonymousreply 134July 2, 2018 10:24 PM

Or actors that turn down roles and the film becomes very successful R134.

by Anonymousreply 135July 2, 2018 10:31 PM

[quote]Natalie Wood - "Brainstorm"

'The only "role" that destroyed Natalie's career was when RJ ROLLED her unconscious body over the side of the damn boat.

by Anonymousreply 136July 2, 2018 10:32 PM

Orlando Bloom - Kingdom of Heaven.

by Anonymousreply 137July 2, 2018 10:35 PM

Mariah Carey in Backdoor Reunion

by Anonymousreply 138July 2, 2018 10:48 PM

Liza did three, "Lucky Lady", "A Matter of Time" and "New York New York". No film career for Liza and proved Cabaret was a fluke.

by Anonymousreply 139July 2, 2018 10:50 PM

Fluke? Liza bounced back to glory with "Stepping Out."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140July 3, 2018 12:32 AM

Josh Hartnett - Hollywood Homicide

Taylor Lautner - Abduction

by Anonymousreply 141July 3, 2018 12:47 AM

R140, Stepping Out grossed $250,000 TOTAL before it went straight to video. Talk about a bounce back to glory.

by Anonymousreply 142July 3, 2018 12:52 AM

R129, Couldn’t the same be said for Donna Reed?

by Anonymousreply 143July 3, 2018 12:54 AM

R140, Let us not forget . . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144July 3, 2018 12:56 AM

I forgive Liza everything for "Artthur"

by Anonymousreply 145July 3, 2018 3:03 AM

Rent-A-Cop is a masterpiece! How can you resist a film where Liza plays a hooker and Dionne Warwick is a high-class madam?!!

by Anonymousreply 146July 3, 2018 3:08 AM

Batman and robin destroyed Alicia Silverstone career. Chris O’Donnell has bounced back with a very successful TV show but I doubt he makes anywhere near the kind of money he would’ve made a successful movie star

by Anonymousreply 147July 3, 2018 3:27 AM

R146, did you know that in the 70s, Dionne Warwick's nostrils provided shelter to hundreds of hookers on the Lower East Side?

by Anonymousreply 148July 3, 2018 3:28 AM

R34 & R122, good grief, just looked up Paul Mercurio too and could barely believe it’s the same guy. Appreciate he’s now 55 but doesn’t even look like the same person.

Alicia Silverstone is the one I think of for this but she’s already mentioned. Does she even act at all anymore?

by Anonymousreply 149July 3, 2018 4:04 AM

Shes worked steadily R149.

by Anonymousreply 150July 3, 2018 4:18 AM

Jerry Van Dyke turned down GILLIGAN'S ISLAND for MY MOTHER THE CAR

by Anonymousreply 151July 3, 2018 4:23 AM

Paul Mercurio had a terrific bubble butt. Sadly, that hasn't been the case in some time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152July 3, 2018 4:25 AM

r152 My God!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 153July 3, 2018 4:36 AM

I hear you R152. He aged terribly. I do wonder if he had attained a movie career in Hollywood - would he have put the time in gym to maintain? He was ridiculously fit and gorgeous for years and years as a ballet dancer. Everyone can loose it - but he likely would have put in the work and discipline in order to look great if a career depended on it. Again, he was a bad actor and honestly just a fine ass piece of meat in the mid 1990's. Much like in real life, these gorgeous high school and college hunks that we all knew turned "dad bod" less than a decade later - we all know the story. Life marches on for most of the world - Mercurio included.

by Anonymousreply 154July 3, 2018 4:40 AM

True, Exit to Eden was a turkey. I didn't quite hate it as others did but I haven't seen it in years but remember Mercurio's beautiful ass compensated for seeing those frightening images of Rosie in S/M gear.

Dana Delaney's film career ended with that movie but she still continued to do well on television.

by Anonymousreply 155July 3, 2018 4:43 AM

Doubtful R154. Look at all the actors that gained weight, Brendan Fraser and Val Kilmer are good examples.

by Anonymousreply 156July 3, 2018 4:44 AM

Dana Delany didn't have a film career so there was nothing to kill R155.

by Anonymousreply 157July 3, 2018 4:48 AM

Carol Channing in THOROUGHLY MODERN MILLIE. That film was sort of a screen test for Channing to see if movie goers would want to see her in the film version of HELLO DOLLY!

Chaim Topol, Norma Crane and most of the cast of FIDDLER ON THE ROOF (Leonard Frey, Paul-Michael Glaser and Molly Picon, excepted). FIDDLER was one of the most anticipated films of the early 1970s. The film got great reviews and a couple of technical Oscars, but ...

by Anonymousreply 158July 3, 2018 4:50 AM

Gwyneth Paltrow -- stealing Mary Louise Parker's Tony-winning role in Proof for the Weinstein-produced movie version. Nepotismy whore. Demi Moore - The Scarlett Letter - her participation made her look dumb and uneducated. like sub average-education level. Sharon Stone - Sliver - from a great erotic thriller to a horribly written one in which we were asked to view her as vulnerable and repressed. Sex and the City 2 -- all involved. Kate Hudson - Bride Wars -- terrible script and bad wig.

by Anonymousreply 159July 3, 2018 4:51 AM

Oh, leave Paul Mercurio alone! He worked as a chef for many years after Exit to Eden and Strictly Ballroom.

by Anonymousreply 160July 3, 2018 5:25 AM

Sliver (1993) was so terrible - such a lame screen play and also such terrible acting. Sharon Stone was utterly captivating in Basic Instinct. She blew all of us away - gorgeous, sexy, brilliant, witty, icy, bisexual, psychotic, BEAUTIFUL... I was 12 when Basic came out and my father took me to see it (one of the few and enjoyable times that we spent together - and yes he could care less about my age). Many were anxiously awaiting Sliver a year or so after only due to Sharon starring as the lead in a new thriller - what a flop on all fronts. The only memorable thing about the entire crap movie was her apartment (I still love that building although Morgan Court is not located in the most fashionable part of Manhattan - who cares, I love it anyway). That said, Sliver did NOT end her career. Casino was her greatest critical triumph in 1995 and she was excellent. Basic will always be her defining role, but Casino will likely go down as her pinnacle.

by Anonymousreply 161July 3, 2018 5:36 AM

Some good points about Sharon’s career, [R161].

by Anonymousreply 162July 3, 2018 9:03 AM

Yes, Sharon Stone held her own against Robert De Niro and Joe Pesci in "Casino, and was rewarded with an Oscar nomination.

by Anonymousreply 163July 3, 2018 9:08 AM

R163 That’s why i didn’t mention Silver as destroying her career she went on to get an Oscar nomination.

by Anonymousreply 164July 3, 2018 2:58 PM

Lisa Bonet Angel Heart that scumbag Bill Cosby ensured her career was over from that point on.

by Anonymousreply 165July 3, 2018 2:59 PM

Brandon Routh - Superman

by Anonymousreply 166July 3, 2018 3:03 PM

Kevin Spacey - Being Anthony Rapp's molester

by Anonymousreply 167July 3, 2018 3:12 PM

Helen Lawson as the Ethel Merman character in Valley of the Dolls. She never made another film. Her career was reduced to an endless series of lackluster Broadway revivals, TV guest star roles, club dates and TV talk shows. Oh, and the yearly Christmas specials, of course.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168July 3, 2018 3:47 PM

R165, to be fair, the movie was awful. I saw Angel Heart and I was blown away by how dumb it was. It does have a few effective and scary scenes though.

by Anonymousreply 169July 3, 2018 4:57 PM

[quote]Orlando Bloom - Kingdom of Heaven.

Orlando Bloom actually gave a solid performance in 'Kingdom of Heaven'.

It was much more complex than most of his other roles.

by Anonymousreply 170July 3, 2018 11:30 PM

I will never understand why Brandon Routh got the blame for Superman Returns. He was the most tolerable thing about the movie.

by Anonymousreply 171July 4, 2018 3:53 AM

R158, Wasn't Carol Oscar nominated for Millie?

by Anonymousreply 172July 4, 2018 3:58 AM

Pia Zadora - "Butterfly"

by Anonymousreply 173July 4, 2018 3:59 AM

Neil Diamond - "The Jazz Singer"

Lucie Arnaz - "The Jazz Singer"

by Anonymousreply 174July 4, 2018 4:01 AM

Liberace - "Sincerely Yours"(1955)

by Anonymousreply 175July 4, 2018 4:03 AM

Carole Lombard - “Airport ‘42”

by Anonymousreply 176July 4, 2018 4:05 AM

r171 agreed. I thought Routh was terrific in Superman Returns. He brought a sense of innocence like Reeve did but wasn't a direct copy. I blame both Singer and Spacey. They are both loathsome on their own but Space was completely over the top as Luthor and I thought Kate Bosworth was absolutely dreadful as Lois Lane. Talk about charisma-free. It might have worked better with Rachel McAdams as Lois. I did like Parker Posey, though. Posey and Routh saved that film for me.

by Anonymousreply 177July 4, 2018 4:20 AM

Jennifer Connelly - The Hulk

by Anonymousreply 178July 4, 2018 4:22 AM

The poster who says Ned Beatty was on the brink of achieving major stardom is blowing my mind with his stupidity.

Beatty is and always was a character actor, and he had a great run after Deliverance (which was his first film!): not just the Superman movies, but also some of the most high-profile films of the 70s: Nashville, Network (an Academy Award nomination!), All the President's Men, Silver Streak. He was Emmy nominated for his fantastic work in Friendly Fire and Last Train Home.

What great starring roles do you think he somehow missed out on because of "Deliverance"? Rocky Balboa? Tony Manero? Indiana Jones?

by Anonymousreply 179July 4, 2018 4:40 AM

R172 no.

by Anonymousreply 180July 4, 2018 4:54 AM

Hersha Parady: Alice Garvey, Little House on the Prairie.

by Anonymousreply 181July 4, 2018 5:00 AM

I couldn't find anything on the internet but I'm almost certain Beatty was involved in some sort of anti-Semitism scandal. If anything was a career killer, that would have been.

by Anonymousreply 182July 4, 2018 5:18 AM

R20 That's a blast from the past regarding the old IMDB boards and Kerry Fox. I remember the vitriol that spewed on that board and it was rife with calling her a cheating slut and a prostitute. Had so much fun on that board. The Margo Stilley board was even worse.

by Anonymousreply 183July 4, 2018 5:37 AM

Thanks r183. I remember before the boards closed, I went back to the Kerry Fox forum and it appeared they had deleted those threads. I thought maybe I had imagined them but thanks for confirming. And yes, I remember then calling her a cheating slut and a prostitute! They were just vicious. I felt bad for Fox since it seemed like such a double standard that she got flack whereas Rylance went onto win an Academy Award.

by Anonymousreply 184July 4, 2018 5:47 AM

Happy to confirm that you did indeed read those comments R184 and your mind wasn't playing tricks. DL needs a thread on the most bizarre, weird & hateful IMDB boards because most of what was posted could put DL to shame with the aggression, hate and sheer spite that dominated those places usually mixed with some really interesting anecdotes and insightful comments.

I remember Marianne Faithful had a pretty out there board too.

by Anonymousreply 185July 4, 2018 6:00 AM

R180

Carol Channing

Oscar [Nominee] (1968)

Best Actress in a Supporting Role

Thoroughly Modern Millie (1967)

by Anonymousreply 186July 4, 2018 8:44 AM

R86 Agree with you. Ms Faye Dunaway was perfect for the role and delivers a stunning performance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 187July 4, 2018 8:57 AM

Loren Dean---"Billy Bathgate"

Who?

Exactly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 188July 4, 2018 12:52 PM

He's what would be called a working actor R188.

by Anonymousreply 189July 4, 2018 12:56 PM

After the success of Back To The Future, Howard the Duck totally fucked Lea Thompson's burgeoning film career. She'd be relegated to Lifetime TV movies just a scant few years later.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 190July 4, 2018 1:04 PM

Ancient eldergays - didn't "Bedtime For Bonzo" derail what was left of Ronald Reagan's Hollywood career?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 191July 4, 2018 1:17 PM

It looks like Loren Dean didn't work at all between 2012 and 2017

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 192July 4, 2018 3:06 PM

R186, in the fifty years after TMM, Channing had FIVE motion picture credits, two of which were voice and one of which was a cameo Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band. Movie career destroyed.

by Anonymousreply 193July 4, 2018 3:10 PM

I thought Elizabethtown did in Orlando Bloom? Took down Kristen Dunst, too, until Melancholia.

by Anonymousreply 194July 4, 2018 8:58 PM

I agree with r194 about Bloom

by Anonymousreply 195July 5, 2018 3:25 AM

Cuba Gooding Jr. - Boat Trip

by Anonymousreply 196July 5, 2018 2:40 PM

"Elizabethtown" was certainly a weak film, although Orlando Bloom does a decent American accent.

by Anonymousreply 197July 5, 2018 7:07 PM

Linda Lovelace - Deep Throat

by Anonymousreply 198July 6, 2018 1:22 AM

That made her career R198.

by Anonymousreply 199July 6, 2018 2:24 PM

[R39] God damn it Dottie this Diet Coke is Warm

by Anonymousreply 200July 6, 2018 2:31 PM

Jill Clayburgh in Luna.

by Anonymousreply 201July 8, 2018 2:33 AM

R201, is that the movie where she has an incestuous relationship with her teenage son?

by Anonymousreply 202July 8, 2018 2:46 AM

Amanda Seyfried - Lovelace

by Anonymousreply 203July 8, 2018 2:49 AM

But Clayburgh bounced back with an Oscar nomination for Starting Over.

by Anonymousreply 204July 8, 2018 3:00 AM

R176, is that the one where she got her mother a walk-on part?

by Anonymousreply 205July 8, 2018 3:09 AM

Mommy Dearist.

by Anonymousreply 206July 8, 2018 3:18 AM

[quote]I agree with [R194] about Bloom

Bloom made a comeback with “The Good Doctor.”

by Anonymousreply 207July 8, 2018 3:19 AM

John Travolta

by Anonymousreply 208July 8, 2018 3:21 AM

[quote]Will Smith - After Earth

And, Jaden Smith.

by Anonymousreply 209July 8, 2018 3:31 AM

Kate Bosworth was 23 when she made Superman Returns, and looked and acted it, which is ludicrous casting for hotshot experienced reporter Lois Lane, and even more so for a version of this character who has a five or six year old son apparently conceived when she was already a reporter and not still in high school. Just one of the very many stupid things about that film. It’s an incredibly bad film that Routh’s performance, which was perfectly OK if not great, was one of the better aspects of, and he shouldn’t have been blamed.

Add to Kevin Spacey’s list of misdemeanours the fact he recommended Bosworth for the role. He was terrible in that film and Bosworth was even worse.

by Anonymousreply 210July 8, 2018 3:33 AM

R209, Jaden Smith in everthing he has ever done has been terrible.

by Anonymousreply 211July 8, 2018 3:33 AM

Chuck Norris... need I say more?

by Anonymousreply 212July 8, 2018 3:33 AM

Isn’t it a Tab, R200???

by Anonymousreply 213July 8, 2018 3:38 AM

Yes, R202. You're correct, R204. I did a quick check of her filmography and she seemed to slow down when she became pregnant with her first child toward the end of 1981. Although I do remember reading at the time she tarnished her leading lady image with that film.

Here's a list of her films after Luna (about a two year period.)

1979tLa LunatCaterina SilveritNominated — Golden Globe Award for Best Actress – Motion Picture Drama

1979tStarting OvertMarilyn HolmbergtNominated — Academy Award for Best Actress Nominated — American Movie Award for Best Actress Nominated — Golden Globe Award for Best Actress – Motion Picture Musical or Comedy

1980tIt's My TurntKate Gunzingert

1981tFirst Monday in OctobertRuth LoomistNominated — Golden Globe Award for Best Actress – Motion Picture Musical or Comedy

by Anonymousreply 214July 8, 2018 3:41 AM

Please excuse the mess of a post at R214. I should have formatted the darn thing.

by Anonymousreply 215July 8, 2018 3:43 AM

Jim Caviezel - Outlander ( Vikings vs Aliens movie, not the series)

by Anonymousreply 216July 8, 2018 3:48 AM

R190 I don’t give a damn what anyone says I loved Howard the Duck as a kid. Now I realize how dumb the movie was but dammit it was the 80s. This and the Attack of the Killer Klowns were classics.

by Anonymousreply 217July 8, 2018 3:49 AM

R216, Caviezel starred in the series Person of Interest. It ran from 2011-2016.

by Anonymousreply 218July 8, 2018 3:55 AM

Dream A Little Dream - Both Coreys

by Anonymousreply 219July 8, 2018 4:11 AM

[quote]Ann Reinking at the Oscars. She still had a Broadway career but her Hollywood career stopped with this performance.

Wow, her singing performance was as flat as a pancake 🥞 !

by Anonymousreply 220July 8, 2018 4:23 AM

Armie Hammer and Johnny Depp in “The Lone Ranger”. Then, Armie makes a big critical success comeback with “Call Me By Your Name”.

Johnny is yet to recover.

by Anonymousreply 221July 8, 2018 4:30 AM

Just have to say that Ellen Burstyn was one lucky woman that she decided NOT to be involved in The Exoricst II. Jesus Christ, what a fiasco. It would have killed her career. If the Exorcist didn't make her a believer in god, I'm sure The Exocrcist II made her a believer in luck.

by Anonymousreply 222July 8, 2018 4:36 AM

R218 I'm well aware of that, but his Hollywood movie leading man days were over.

by Anonymousreply 223July 8, 2018 4:41 AM

I think it was his religion R223 that ended his career. He's very religious and wouldn't do intimate scenes, which I find ironic considering he had no problems with killing scenes

by Anonymousreply 224July 8, 2018 4:46 AM

R108 must be deaf and blind, she was horrible and yes it derailed her career as a film actress. At least Teri garr knew how silly the opening number she did at the oscars was, reinking was completely serious and not even pat benatars gay pimp could save her.

No Ned Beatty was not involved in a anti Semitic incident, all of the previous points about a solid career as a character actor have already been stated, he’s semi retired and teaches ever so often.

Luna did derail clayburghs career and later said it was a mistake taking it as the shoot was a mess and the script wasn’t even completed when shooting started. She turned down Norma Rae to do Luna.

Carol Channing would be extremely hard to cast in anything so no Millie didn’t end her career, she was closing in on 50 in 1968 and was already a broadway legend who could have guaranteed work for the next 20 years. What would you do in that situation?

by Anonymousreply 225July 8, 2018 4:50 AM

R222, and Ellen Burstyn is still going strong.

A few years ago she was nominated for an Emmy for playing the sadistic grandmother in "Flowers in the Attic".

by Anonymousreply 226July 8, 2018 8:34 AM

Taylor Swift’s boyfriend - Tom Hiddleston.

by Anonymousreply 227July 8, 2018 10:17 AM

Billy Cambell - The Rocketeer

Though compared to most of the current Marvel/DC shite it was an OK movie and he's had a great TV career since.

by Anonymousreply 228July 8, 2018 11:17 AM

Paul Mercurio could never act, and comes across as rather gay (I know he's married, but seriously). He was never rather credible as a leading male, too campy.

by Anonymousreply 229July 8, 2018 11:18 AM

R226, exactly, she should have won that Oscar all those years ago for Requiem for a Dream, she was the most deserving winner.

by Anonymousreply 230July 8, 2018 5:10 PM

Center Square - Whoopi

But only because she made too many awful films to exactly pinpoint which had derailed her career.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 231July 8, 2018 6:47 PM

R231 I'd dispute the Whoopi Goldberg one on the basis that her only half decent movie performance was The Color Purple and that whole thing was patchy.

The rest were basically Pantomime.

by Anonymousreply 232July 8, 2018 6:53 PM

R210, what was with Spacey and Bosworth? She co-starred with him in two more dreadful movies after Superman Returns. I saw where she and her husband are now going to teach acting classes in Montana. Who is paying for that? Shouldn't one have fine arts degrees or major awards or claim to do that? Sounds like a hustle.

by Anonymousreply 233July 8, 2018 7:02 PM

Billy Campbell in Rocketeer is a good one. During filming, some of the crew called it Rocket Queer.

by Anonymousreply 234July 8, 2018 7:17 PM

Whoopi? Remember "rape-rape". For some reason, she fascinated a lot of Hollywood elite but that was the first time the American public saw through her persona and went "no, not this time."

by Anonymousreply 235July 8, 2018 7:54 PM

Mira Sorvino in that big bug movie.

by Anonymousreply 236July 8, 2018 8:06 PM

R236 = Harvey Whalestein

by Anonymousreply 237July 8, 2018 8:20 PM

What happened to that chick who played Nadia in American Pie--wasn't she supposed to be some kind of sex symbol after that movie? I'm sure that what execs thought when that movie firs came out.

by Anonymousreply 238July 8, 2018 8:29 PM

Shannon Elizabeth R238. Working actress.

by Anonymousreply 239July 8, 2018 8:40 PM

Shannon Elizabeth. Working RACIST. She once said on Stern that black people weren’t attractive.

by Anonymousreply 240July 8, 2018 8:42 PM

Shannon Elizabeth lives in Cape Town and runs a non-profit animal rescue organization. Acting in Hollywood productions isn't really what's on her mind these days.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 241July 8, 2018 8:43 PM

R241, ironic that she said she didn't consider black people attractive.

by Anonymousreply 242July 8, 2018 8:44 PM

Shocking. A racist from South Africa.

by Anonymousreply 243July 8, 2018 8:46 PM

With the actors known for their sex appeal and not so much their talent, it's kinda hard to pinpoint when their careers stalled, because they all do eventually. I see the truly talented character actors continuing to work a la Ellen Burstyn. I don't think there's ever been a time when she wasn't in demand. It also helps that she's aged gracefully and looks like a well maintained older woman instead of some weird science lab creation like many of her contemporaries.

I think Shannon Elizabeth still does the convention circuit these days. Much like Linda Blair, I assume the money she raises from those appearances goes towards her animal charities.

by Anonymousreply 244July 8, 2018 8:46 PM

Aside from the Superman movies, which got worse and worse, Somewhere in Time killed off anything Christopher Reeve might have had after the first Superman. After that it was all shit.

by Anonymousreply 245July 8, 2018 8:48 PM

Do you have a link R240?

by Anonymousreply 246July 8, 2018 8:52 PM

Jake Gyllenhaal in Prince of Persia

He redeemed himself with Nightcrawler

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 247July 8, 2018 8:53 PM

She's American R243.

by Anonymousreply 248July 8, 2018 8:55 PM

[quote]Jake Gyllenhaal in Prince of Persia

Why did 'Prince of Persia' cause so much damage?

by Anonymousreply 249July 8, 2018 10:09 PM

Kitty Heigl in everything after "Gray's Anatomy."

by Anonymousreply 250July 9, 2018 4:25 AM

It's Grey's Anatomy R250.

by Anonymousreply 251July 9, 2018 4:31 AM

Thank you r251.

I know we will all sleep better.

by Anonymousreply 252July 9, 2018 4:40 AM

I know I will. The Klonopin and scotch is kicking in.

by Anonymousreply 253July 9, 2018 5:16 AM

This was the movie that destroyed Heigl's career

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 254July 9, 2018 3:09 PM

Being a raging fake phony cunt destroyed Heigl's career.

by Anonymousreply 255July 9, 2018 3:11 PM

Heigl had everything, but deciding to be a bitch blew her career.

by Anonymousreply 256July 9, 2018 3:19 PM

Rex Reed - "Myra Breckinridge"

by Anonymousreply 257July 9, 2018 3:22 PM

Heigl should have just appreciated the Emmy nomination, but NO, she had to bite the hands that feed her.

by Anonymousreply 258July 9, 2018 3:23 PM

R1 and thread closed

by Anonymousreply 259July 9, 2018 4:06 PM

R235, Whoopi made a bunch of shit movies and it did catch up with her just like it caught up to Burt Reynolds.

What supposedly took her down was that stupid sketch her then-boyfriend Ted Danson did in blackface during her Friars Club roast; although I believe she was already reduced to doing Slimfast commercials at the time so her career was already in freefall.

by Anonymousreply 260July 9, 2018 5:53 PM

Doubtful R260. It didn't affect Ted Danson either.

by Anonymousreply 261July 9, 2018 5:56 PM

Trust me, R261, she is still bitter about it and blames that incident for the end of her career. The View gave her a second chance and she ran with it.

by Anonymousreply 262July 9, 2018 5:57 PM

Why should I trust you R262? The blackface incident was in 1993. She has steadily worked since then. She is not and has never been leading lady status.

by Anonymousreply 263July 9, 2018 6:06 PM

Elia Kazan, The Arrangement

by Anonymousreply 264July 9, 2018 6:09 PM

Wasn't Sister Act around the same time of the Danson/blackface thing? That was a huge hit and the sequel did well, too. Then, she did that dinosaur movie that was super shitty.

by Anonymousreply 265July 9, 2018 6:36 PM

R263, you also have to factor in her Bush joke in 2004, that's when she lost the Slimfast endorsement. And yes, she was a leading lady at one time.

by Anonymousreply 266July 9, 2018 7:14 PM

Your opinion of a leading lady and mine are completely different R266.

by Anonymousreply 267July 9, 2018 7:18 PM

R266, although Whoopi was given the lead in the "Sister Act" films, she was usually a supporting actress.

Thus, her SUPPORTING ACTRESS Oscar for "Ghost".

by Anonymousreply 268July 9, 2018 9:27 PM

Supposedly Heigl is playing it nice on the set of Suits these days.

by Anonymousreply 269July 9, 2018 10:16 PM

Foe those who forgot just how beautiful Paul Mecurio was. But you can even tell here that he can't really act,

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 270July 9, 2018 10:29 PM

Whoopi was great in Sister Act, but I wonder what would have happened if original choice Bette Midler had taken the role. After her Oscar nomination for The Rose, Bette starred in some very successful comedies, like Down And Out In Beverly Hills, Ruthless People , Big Business and Outrageous Fortune. What film started her decline? Was it that awful crap she starred in with Woody Allen?

by Anonymousreply 271July 10, 2018 12:39 AM

Whoopie was supposed to work on Sister Act 3 and Burglar 2, but that didn’t pan out.

by Anonymousreply 272July 10, 2018 12:42 AM

Bette's downfall is her cunt attitude. There isn't a single costar who worked with her that ever had a nice thing to say about her.

by Anonymousreply 273July 10, 2018 12:44 AM

Tom HIddleston - Taylor Swift's Beard

by Anonymousreply 274July 10, 2018 12:44 AM

Jeremy Renner - Fabulous Interior Designer

by Anonymousreply 275July 10, 2018 12:46 AM

Corrina, Corrina with Whoopi is one of my favorite movies. Such an underrated gem.

by Anonymousreply 276July 10, 2018 12:46 AM

R276, I liked the movie Whoopie did with Doogie Howser. But, I cant remember the name.

by Anonymousreply 277July 10, 2018 12:50 AM

Whoopi is happy working 4 days a week and collecting $6 million a year

by Anonymousreply 278July 10, 2018 12:54 AM

I disagree. Whoopi was most definitely a leading lady during most of her movie career starting with The Color Purple in 1986. She may not have been a traditional-looking leading lady but throughout the 1980's she was the top-billed female in all of her films.

by Anonymousreply 279July 10, 2018 1:46 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 280July 10, 2018 1:50 AM

A lot of people thought Midler was finished with Jinxed. She came back but the momentum was gone.

Ugly fat girls never got their due.

by Anonymousreply 281July 10, 2018 2:01 AM

R280, I thought Whoopi was pretty good as Guinan on 'Star Trek: The Next Generation'.

She was much more understated than her usual over the top style.

by Anonymousreply 282July 10, 2018 4:57 AM

r279 She may have got top billing, but leading lady she was not.

by Anonymousreply 283July 10, 2018 5:02 AM

Whah massah?

by Anonymousreply 284July 10, 2018 5:04 AM

I know it is a commonly held opinion that Mommie Dearest "destroyed" Dunaway's career to the point that it is probably held up as the most glaring example of this phenomenon...but I honestly don't think that was the case.

Dunaway had starred in enough highly acclaimed, award-winning work (Bonnie and Clyde, Network, Chinatown) that she could have survived that movie. In reality, from everything I've read about her, Dunaway destroyed her own career by being an absolute cunt to work with.

Mommie Dearest has just been her excuse.

by Anonymousreply 285July 10, 2018 5:05 AM

Inception - Leonardo DiCaprio. Retroactively, but it'll destroy his career.

by Anonymousreply 286July 10, 2018 5:51 AM

[quote]Dunaway destroyed her own career by being an absolute cunt to work with.

Why did she behave that way?

by Anonymousreply 287July 10, 2018 8:48 AM

Being the President's personal fixer.

by Anonymousreply 288July 10, 2018 12:00 PM

and now it's a Trump thread.

by Anonymousreply 289July 10, 2018 12:05 PM

R280 that just isn't true at all.

Whoopi as Guinan was sublime, and I'm not just saying that as a Trek nerd. She did a great job with the role.

Also, she had already been playing Guinan BEFORE she won the Oscar for Ghost.

by Anonymousreply 290July 13, 2018 2:42 PM

Whoopi made too many movies of varying quality. THE LONG WALK HOME was a good one and quite underappreciated.

Disappointing to hear that about Shannon making nasty comments about black peoples looks. Why did the Wayans Brothers hire her skinny white ass for SCARY MOVIE?

by Anonymousreply 291July 13, 2018 4:06 PM

They entered as leading men: Omar, Kristofferson, Segal, Sarrazin, Ryan . . ..Barbara chewed 'um up n' spit um' out.

by Anonymousreply 292July 14, 2018 4:45 AM

BARBRA!

by Anonymousreply 293July 14, 2018 4:51 AM

I stand corrected. i meant to say Hanna Barbera

by Anonymousreply 294July 14, 2018 3:06 PM

Scarlett O'Hara

by Anonymousreply 295July 14, 2018 3:07 PM

Kris Kristofferson - Heaven's Gate.

by Anonymousreply 296July 14, 2018 10:56 PM

Looking at Brooke Shields' IMDB profile I see after "Endless Love" (which wasn't awful; based on a popular book, with a top director at the helm and a hit pop song to go along with it) there wasn't anything until the forgettable "Sahara" (1983). For some inexplicable reason she decided to do the Jodie Foster thing and go off to college- right at her peak of popularity. Lost momentum and disappeared.

If she had some good management she might have worked with some good directors and built a career. But her alcoholic (and compulsive-shopping) mother called the shots, based on money and travel opportunities.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 297July 14, 2018 11:07 PM

Bo Derek, another one without any decent career advice. Her and John only worked when they were out of money. I'm not saying she'd have been Meryl Streep, but when you have that kind of momentum and notoriety you can really run with it.

They sorta tried by getting her "A Change of Seasons" (1980), but that was it as far as Thespian dreams. I remember she kept doing interviews saying she felt "exploited" when the director wanted her to pop her top, and it's like honey- that's what you DO.

After that "Tarzan" and "Bolero'- gorgeous to look at but amateurish and widely mocked. Then... buh-bye.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 298July 14, 2018 11:16 PM

200 plus responses and no one's mentioned Swayze and To Wong Foo. Did he even make another movie after that?

by Anonymousreply 299July 15, 2018 12:57 AM

R299 Yeah he did, but they were not very good. I think Letters from a Killer was his last decent movie role.

He was pretty much a TV actor.

by Anonymousreply 300July 15, 2018 1:05 AM

Shoot, I think Wong Foo was Swayze's BEST film. All three of them did an incredible job in roles that were totally foreign to them.

by Anonymousreply 301July 15, 2018 1:23 AM

I think a real choice would be Roger Herren. Gorgeous man who got pegged by Raquel Welch in "Myra Breckinridge". Only one credit after.

by Anonymousreply 302July 15, 2018 3:10 AM

Oprah thought her white frau brigade would lift her into movie stardom with Beloved. It didn't.

by Anonymousreply 303July 15, 2018 4:28 AM

R297, Brooke Shields did have some later success with "Suddenly Susan" (1996-2000), for which she received two Golden Globe nominations.

by Anonymousreply 304July 15, 2018 4:30 AM

How about Jason Alexander in "Pretty Woman?" Went from a loveable nebbish in "Seinfeld" to a crazed wanna be rapist. (Of Julia Roberts, no less.) Did he do anything of note after that? I did see him in a guest appearance on "Malcolm in the Middle."

by Anonymousreply 305July 15, 2018 4:51 AM

R302, I bumped into this ad when I googled your Roger.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 306July 15, 2018 4:53 AM

R305, Jason Alexander had a guest appearance on "Star Trek: The Next Generation".

by Anonymousreply 307July 15, 2018 4:54 AM

I'm not going through 307 posts so if this has been posted, my apologies.

That horsefaced girl with two Oscars and her appearance in The Black Dahlia.

She demonstrated how horrendous she was playing anything but a trailer trash role. She was as bad as co-star Scarlett Johanssen, maybe worse.

by Anonymousreply 308July 15, 2018 4:59 AM

'The Black Dahlia' was a bad film, so that's not entirely her fault, R308.

The only redeeming features of that film were the Oscar-nominated Cinematography and Josh Hartnett's ass:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 309July 15, 2018 5:09 AM

Donald Trump ~ "President of the United States"

by Anonymousreply 310July 15, 2018 5:10 AM

Cher in the Lori Davis infomercials.

by Anonymousreply 311July 15, 2018 5:10 AM

@301 Oh I enjoyed To Wong Foo as well. Swayze gave a great performance even though Leguizamo low-key key stole the movie from him. Snipes did a good job as well.

But that part was a career ender for Swayze.

by Anonymousreply 312July 15, 2018 5:26 AM

One of Swayze's last films was the British black comedy, "Keeping Mum", in 2005.

It stars Maggie Smith, Kristin Scott Thomas and Rowan Atkinson.

It's worth checking out:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 313July 15, 2018 5:38 AM

R308 Hillary Swank

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 314July 15, 2018 11:51 AM

High Road to China - Tom Selleck

Lassiter - Tom Selleck

Her Alibi - Tom Selleck

by Anonymousreply 315July 15, 2018 1:02 PM

It seems like Hollywood was going to give perennial B-movie actress Sharon Stone a second chance after the success of the lurid "Basic Instinct". But she followed-up with "Sliver", which was a dud with audiences. Aside from her work with Martin Scorcese, she never really had a major starring role again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 316July 15, 2018 1:45 PM

[quote]Looking at Brooke Shields' IMDB profile I see after "Endless Love" (which wasn't awful; based on a popular book, with a top director at the helm and a hit pop song to go along with it) there wasn't anything until the forgettable "Sahara" (1983). For some inexplicable reason she decided to do the Jodie Foster thing and go off to college- right at her peak of popularity. Lost momentum and disappeared

I thought “Endless Love”’was a decent movie, and Brooke looked her glamorous best in that film...she and Martin made a perfect handsome couple. But, I do agree that her mother made some very bad movie decisions for her.

by Anonymousreply 317July 15, 2018 3:13 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 318July 15, 2018 5:12 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!