Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

"Roseanne’ Spinoff ‘The Conners’ Picked Up By ABC With No Roseanne Barr Involvement

"Roseanne’ Spinoff ‘The Conners’ Picked Up By ABC With No Roseanne Barr Involvement

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 223October 25, 2018 8:00 AM

This really has been a fucking BANNER month in the takedown of all things TRUMPTARD.

And the kicker, is that they're doing it to themselves!

All we have to do is sit back and watch them implode.

I fucking love it.

by Anonymousreply 1June 22, 2018 12:42 AM

I think we need at least one more thread on this

by Anonymousreply 2June 22, 2018 12:45 AM

Well, shiiiit. I wonder how much she got paid for that.

I hope they explicitly kill her deplorable ass on the show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3June 22, 2018 12:46 AM

Personally, I'm against the reboot of the reboot. I feel badly for the crew, Fishman and Goranson, but Metcalf, Goodman, and Gilbert were all fully aware of what Roseanne was like, didn't need the money, and they chose to work with her anyway. Goodman and Metcalf have yet to release any statements against Roseanne's words.

by Anonymousreply 4June 22, 2018 12:46 AM

Anybody who doesn’t watch the reboot is a racist Deplorable. Only Deplorables want to see this show fail.

by Anonymousreply 5June 22, 2018 12:48 AM

It won't work and we'll be done with reboots soon enough.

by Anonymousreply 6June 22, 2018 12:50 AM

No, R5, plenty of deplorables will still tune in. We don't need another show about how hard white, blue collar families have it. Even Goodman's character spouted a line about "illegals" making it hard for him to find work.

by Anonymousreply 7June 22, 2018 12:52 AM

ABC can keep this shit. I'll patiently wait for the Murphy Brown reboot and the new season of W&G.

by Anonymousreply 8June 22, 2018 12:52 AM

Nonsense, R7. They’ll be rooting for its failure now.

by Anonymousreply 9June 22, 2018 12:53 AM

Exactly, R9.

We say East, they say West.

We say up, they say down.

We say left, they say right.

Etc., etc., etc.

They are completely beyond reason.

by Anonymousreply 10June 22, 2018 12:55 AM

You know good and well that Trump is dying to tweet about Roseanne’s “failing ratings” after they removed his buddy.

by Anonymousreply 11June 22, 2018 12:56 AM

r11 He has the top talent in the country trying to predict those ratings as we speak, I'm sure.

by Anonymousreply 12June 22, 2018 12:58 AM

R1 What "Takedown" is this?

She got paid a settlement to shut her up. Most likely her salary that she would have earned for a second season.

The show will come back, most likely flop and she gets to gloat about how it failed because she wasn't involved and the network curbed the "politics of the Amercian people".

ABC should have just cancelled the show. Instead they're paving the avenue for Roseanne to have the last laugh.

by Anonymousreply 13June 22, 2018 12:59 AM

We must rise up and ensure the show succeeds, or the Deplorables win.

by Anonymousreply 14June 22, 2018 1:00 AM

Oh cool so the show will finally become what they gave us a glimpse of back in that episode when Aunt Jackie took over the household!!!

by Anonymousreply 15June 22, 2018 1:01 AM

How does that work ? Will they kill her character off ?

by Anonymousreply 16June 22, 2018 1:05 AM

r16 They'll send her on a never-ending cruise, the ones Muriel likes so much.

by Anonymousreply 17June 22, 2018 1:08 AM

This show, I would watch.

Anything without that racist reich-wing twat on it, is worth watching.

by Anonymousreply 18June 22, 2018 1:09 AM

Curious viewers will give the first episode big ratings. If it's uniquely good, then it might last for a season.

by Anonymousreply 19June 22, 2018 1:09 AM

Is Faye Dunaway in the rebooted reboot? I only watch shows with Faye Dunaway in them.

by Anonymousreply 20June 22, 2018 1:09 AM

I would doubt that they will kill off Roseanne's character... They'll want to keep the option of bringing her back cause they'll bank on the possibility that in a few years nobody will care and they can make more money bringing her back.

They'll probably just say she got thrown in prison for rightfully defending her right to punch a Muslim child.

by Anonymousreply 21June 22, 2018 1:11 AM

So who will be in this show called "The Connors?"How could it be "the Connors" without Roseanne? Maybe they'll have Roseanne be in rehab for her opioid addiction. But it would be great if they did kill her off.

by Anonymousreply 22June 22, 2018 1:16 AM

I will watch the reboot of the reboot with pleasure.

by Anonymousreply 23June 22, 2018 1:16 AM

I agree with someone above... what bothers me, especially with Sara Gilbert acting so upset over all of this... she knew exactly who and what Roseanne was so to pretend to be outraged at Roseanne's behavior is ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 24June 22, 2018 1:17 AM

Sorry Roseanne is the star. This spinoff is gonna flop so hard

by Anonymousreply 25June 22, 2018 1:18 AM

Here is ABC's official description for "The Conners":"After a sudden turn of events, the Conners are forced to face the daily struggles of life in Lanford in a way they never have before. This iconic family – Dan, Jackie, Darlene, Becky and D.J. – grapples with parenthood, dating, an unexpected pregnancy, financial pressures, aging and in-laws in working-class America. Through it all, the fights, the coupon cutting, the hand-me-downs, the breakdowns – with love, humor and perseverance, the family prevails."

by Anonymousreply 26June 22, 2018 1:19 AM

I didn’t watch Roseann and I will not be watching the reboot.

by Anonymousreply 27June 22, 2018 1:19 AM

[quote]r20 Is Faye Dunaway in the rebooted reboot? I only watch shows with Faye Dunaway in them.

Maybe they'll reboot IT HAD TO BE YOU

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28June 22, 2018 1:20 AM

[QUOTE]I will not be watching the reboot.

Great job supporting Donald Trump. 👍

by Anonymousreply 29June 22, 2018 1:21 AM

If they wanted it to be true to life, they'd have her killed off by her loss of medical insurance under Drumpf, or poisoned by the lettuce or tainted water, due to de-regulation of the EPA and FDA.

Truth.

by Anonymousreply 30June 22, 2018 1:21 AM

A friend at Disney/ABC says that Roseanne settled for $6million/no residuals of new show The Conners/ maintains control of her character Roseanne Conner for the future/ banned from ever working with Disney/ABC again.

by Anonymousreply 31June 22, 2018 1:26 AM

So, she still made a heap of money off the deal.

They should have just let it die, rather than throw more money her way.

by Anonymousreply 32June 22, 2018 1:28 AM

Agreed, R32.

by Anonymousreply 33June 22, 2018 1:29 AM

$6 million is pennies compared to what she would’ve made if the show went on for a few more seasons. And then the new seasons would’ve gone into syndication, adding to her rerun residuals (which are zilch right now since they got pulled). Believe me, Roseanne lost out big time.

by Anonymousreply 34June 22, 2018 1:31 AM

$6 million for being a racist shitstain sounds awfully generous to me!

by Anonymousreply 35June 22, 2018 1:34 AM

$6 million is nothing compared to what ABC will make off the new show. BUT the fact that Roseanne maintained the rights to her character Roseanne Conner opens the door for her to create her own show if another network wants to pick it up.

by Anonymousreply 36June 22, 2018 1:35 AM

Nobody is touching her.

by Anonymousreply 37June 22, 2018 1:36 AM

Watch her get into bed with Fox, R36.

In fact, I'm calling it now.

by Anonymousreply 38June 22, 2018 1:36 AM

Who the hell wants to see Roseanne without the rest of her family? She was arguably the weakest link.

by Anonymousreply 39June 22, 2018 1:37 AM

Oh they can do with her character what they did with Dan's mom... put her into a mental asylum.

by Anonymousreply 40June 22, 2018 1:40 AM

If Roseanne has the rights to her character. Then she would have had a say in how they decided to remove Roseanne Connor from the show. I think way in which her character exits will also give us an idea of what she might do with her character in the future as well.

by Anonymousreply 41June 22, 2018 1:47 AM

In the spirit of the original series they should totally re-cast the character like they did with Becky when Lecy left.

Has anyone asked if the actress who played the mom in ‘Muriel’s Wedding’ is available?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42June 22, 2018 1:49 AM

It will unfunny sjw bullshit show that will focus mostly on Delene and her kids. It will be "WHAT ABOUT THE CHILDREN" shit show every week. Sarha is frau and is obsessed with children in real life . It last one season, I hope. Roseanne is a huge pus filled CUNT but why bring back a shit reboot & cast {except for the chick who plays Becky and Metcalf.}

by Anonymousreply 43June 22, 2018 1:50 AM

* It will be an

by Anonymousreply 44June 22, 2018 1:51 AM

The whole damn thing just needed to be ABORTED.

by Anonymousreply 45June 22, 2018 1:54 AM

R45 speaking of which.

I didn't watch the reboot but they should have had Becky tormented over the guilt of aborting Mark's baby before he got killed! The abortion making it impossible for her to have kids in the future!

by Anonymousreply 46June 22, 2018 1:58 AM

They should have replaced her with DL fave Patrika Darbo, who actually played Roseanne in a '90s TV movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47June 22, 2018 2:03 AM

I'm available, again.

by Anonymousreply 48June 22, 2018 2:10 AM

I still say recast with Rosie O’Donnell. Really make deplorable heads explode.

by Anonymousreply 49June 22, 2018 2:10 AM

There should have never been a reboot.

All of these people knew who Roseanne was when they signed up to work with her.

Fuck ABC.

by Anonymousreply 50June 22, 2018 2:12 AM

Terrible idea. ABC will regret this decision.

by Anonymousreply 51June 22, 2018 2:12 AM

They should call it Roseanne's Family

by Anonymousreply 52June 22, 2018 2:38 AM

Goodman, Gilbert and Metcalfe had all signed contracts for season 11 for 10 episodes at $300,000 each and were going to be paid that money whether the season happened or not. ABC will at least get something for its money.

Would it be heresy to suggest that all these extremely talented performers and creatives might even come up with something good, especially with not having to deal with the nutjob shrew in their midst?

by Anonymousreply 53June 22, 2018 2:41 AM

R42 is on the pipe.

by Anonymousreply 54June 22, 2018 2:45 AM

R43 is a tard.

by Anonymousreply 55June 22, 2018 2:45 AM

I dunno... I abhor what Roseanne did, but I don't really want to see the show without her. I put her politics aside to enjoy this past season. I thought maybe she'd be able to put her politics aside as well for the sake of a show that a lot of people were nostalgic about, but I guess not. I thought maybe she'd get the mental health support she needs for the sake of the show, but I guess she couldn't do that, either. I was rooting for her. She disappointed me. Bigly.

by Anonymousreply 56June 22, 2018 2:51 AM

I liked Roseanne with Roseanne but I will still continue to watch. Looking forward to seeing where it goes.

by Anonymousreply 57June 22, 2018 2:59 AM

In a nod to the original series, have Patrika Darbo replace Roseanne.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58June 22, 2018 3:15 AM

You fucking cunt R58, I ALREADY PROPOSED THIS.

by Anonymousreply 59June 22, 2018 3:21 AM

I hate what she said but a Roseanne-less “Roseanne” doesn’t interest me. And to be honest I’ve lost some respect for Sara Gilbert as well after this whole debacle.

by Anonymousreply 60June 22, 2018 4:10 AM

^^ #MeToo

by Anonymousreply 61June 22, 2018 4:12 AM

Same, R56. I’m not that interested now, but I am going to watch the reboot to support.

by Anonymousreply 62June 22, 2018 4:16 AM

I'm so happy about this, I have loved the show in the past and was revamp was growing on me. I always loved the ensemble cast and thought everyone was better than Roseann acting wise who just stood out like amateur.

I'll watch.

by Anonymousreply 63June 22, 2018 4:23 AM

I feel like this was always where they wanted to go with the show. As everyone said, they knew who and what Roseanne was, but signed on knowing that she'd be gone after one or two seasons and they'd call it The Conners.

by Anonymousreply 64June 22, 2018 5:01 AM

What a piece of shit the reboot was to begin with. Delusional network and actors. I’m not watching tha clusterfuck of a reboot of a reboot. Fuck that.

by Anonymousreply 65June 22, 2018 8:43 AM

Look atb5hat pic of Sara Gilbert. A half grown slouchy thing with a mop of dog hair. She mumbles and has no tits or talent.

by Anonymousreply 66June 22, 2018 8:46 AM

[quote] I would doubt that they will kill off Roseanne's character...

Please, they killed off Dan Connor and brought him back for the reboot. If they will bring her back it will be some Dallas "it was all a dream" plot with Roseanne in the shower (instead of Pattrick Duffy).

by Anonymousreply 67June 22, 2018 9:40 AM

No, seriously...I'm available...

by Anonymousreply 68June 22, 2018 9:58 AM

Apparently the name Roseanne can not be used in t he Conners. She'll be referenced as'my Mom' or "my sister' or 'my late wife'. That was one of Roseanne's small victories.

by Anonymousreply 69June 22, 2018 10:17 AM

"Mom was that toothless old hag who died in the gas explosion. We discovered her diary of unpure thoughts about the neighborhood children and that led us to the mass grave where she had buried seventeen homeless black men over the years. We also discovered her "human skin wardrobe" hanging in the back of her closet. I'm glad she died, and may she burn forever in hell." - Darlene

by Anonymousreply 70June 22, 2018 11:33 AM

What kind of victory is that, R69? It’s not like they were going to spend all season dragging her name through the mud. They want to put the matter behind them just as much as she does.

by Anonymousreply 71June 22, 2018 3:09 PM

If she retains rights to the character, she can't be replaced.

by Anonymousreply 72June 22, 2018 3:18 PM

R66 = Melissa Gilbert

by Anonymousreply 73June 22, 2018 5:19 PM

How exactly was this a punishment for Roseanne? She got paid off and this thing will probably flop. Sarah Gilbert doesn't have the charisma to carry a show.

by Anonymousreply 74June 22, 2018 5:19 PM

[quote]Please, they killed off Dan Connor and brought him back for the reboot. If they will bring her back it will be some Dallas "it was all a dream" plot with Roseanne in the shower (instead of Pattrick Duffy).

Completely different. That was during a time when rebooting a show was not a thing that was ever thought of as being possible. They're going to be handle her character by keeping in mind the future dollars they'll be able to make.

by Anonymousreply 75June 22, 2018 5:22 PM

[QUOTE]If she retains rights to the character, she can't be replaced.

They can’t have another character named Roseanne Conner, but she will damn sure be replaced. Dan could find another love interest played by a female comedian and they can easily fill the void that way. Or it could be another grandmotherly family member who comes into the picture. Roseanne was the weakest link and her absence should be an improvement.

by Anonymousreply 76June 22, 2018 5:25 PM

I can easily see them spending the first episode explaining that Roseanne has been put in rehab for addiction to pain killers. After that they just won't mention her again.

And fine, Barr gets "punished," for her tweets. Ok. But where's Gilbert's punishment for knowing exactly who Roseanne was, having no problems with her tweets prior, but instead overlooking it because she wanted the show back on. She didn't care then.. I doubt she cares now. She's just saving her own ass and she should be called out for it. Has anyone asked her about why she happily approached Roseanne to do the reboot knowing what a racist, vile, insane person she had become?

by Anonymousreply 77June 22, 2018 5:27 PM

Why don’t you write them a letter, R77.

by Anonymousreply 78June 22, 2018 5:27 PM

[quote]a female comedian and they can easily fill the void that way. Or it could be another grandmotherly family member who comes into the picture.

That's what Jackie will be for.

by Anonymousreply 79June 22, 2018 5:32 PM

Yeah I know, R79. Are you R15 as well? I was going to make a post mentioning how that was my vision for the series after the spinoff rumors started.

That was an incredible episode and probably the only one whose title I memorized.

Anyway, my point was that if the writers and producers feel it’s necessary to add someone else, they have options. Not being able to have a character named Roseanne Conner doesn’t mean she can’t be replaced.

by Anonymousreply 80June 22, 2018 5:40 PM

[quote]r66 She mumbles and has no tits or talent.

LOCK 'ER UP!

by Anonymousreply 81June 22, 2018 5:56 PM

They would be stupid to try and replace Roseanne. There are too many characters on that show already.

by Anonymousreply 82June 22, 2018 6:04 PM

[quote]R76 They can’t have another character named Roseanne Conner, but she will damn sure be replaced. Dan could find another love interest played by a female comedian and they can easily fill the void that way.

So what you're saying is, Faye Dunaway is still in the running??

[italic]Wooooooooooooooo!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83June 22, 2018 6:08 PM

Yawn. This was ALWAYS going to happen. I brought up the idea AND the title (The Conners) before the show even got cancelled and some of you bitches thought I was crazy.

They WILL kill Roseanne off even if they have to do A Very Special Episode halfway through the season.

by Anonymousreply 84June 22, 2018 6:11 PM

Maybe it will be like [italic]Ten Little Indians[/italic], where the remaining cast members are written out one by one as new scandals emerge.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85June 22, 2018 6:43 PM

I can't stand that Melissa Gilbert chick or whatever the fuck her name is. Hope this fails.

by Anonymousreply 86June 22, 2018 7:09 PM

Liberals will watch the show to shore up its ratings. Deplorables will not watch the show, because the only person they cared about is gone.

by Anonymousreply 87June 22, 2018 7:12 PM

[quote] * It will be an —43

Did you really think that was the only thing wrong with your post, r43?

by Anonymousreply 88June 22, 2018 7:21 PM

Melissa Gilbert could not carry alone the talk she could not save this show with no Roseanne on it....

by Anonymousreply 89June 22, 2018 7:28 PM

Melissa Gilbert...Sara Gilbert...whatever. Let's just refer to her as "Mumbles."

by Anonymousreply 90June 22, 2018 7:36 PM

I hope in her craziness Roseanne tweets the terms of her settlement. I'll bet she got millions.

by Anonymousreply 91June 22, 2018 7:47 PM

I thought it was already disclosed that she got $6 million?

by Anonymousreply 92June 22, 2018 7:58 PM

Short this stock.

by Anonymousreply 93June 22, 2018 8:20 PM

What's the point? Deplorables won't watch it since she's not on the show. ("She was fucked over by Hollywood liberals!") And the rest of us won't give a shit about it, either. ABC should have just let it die, since it won't last more than a season or two.

by Anonymousreply 94June 22, 2018 8:29 PM

There are plenty of non-Deplorable Roseanne fans. In fact the show originally wasn’t appealing to Deplorables at all. Now it can go back to the way it used to be without all this pro-Trump business, more befitting of the rest of ABC’s lineup.

by Anonymousreply 95June 22, 2018 8:32 PM

I’m looking forward to this. The ensemble was always the best part for me and this really frees them up to take the show in new creative directions. I wonder if they can refer to her as “Rosie” if they’re not able to use the name Roseanne? I could see them coming up with clever work arounds.

by Anonymousreply 97June 22, 2018 8:49 PM

Don't respond to r96. He is a troll seeking attention.

by Anonymousreply 98June 22, 2018 8:50 PM

They should call the show "Roseanne Without Roseanne." That would be a more apt title.

by Anonymousreply 99June 22, 2018 8:59 PM

Er um well gee er um.

by Anonymousreply 100June 22, 2018 9:02 PM

I have an idea! Why don't you write out my character by having her killed by a ten-year old, brown, Muslim, illegal immigrant from Honduras? Then you can do some serious episodes about current issues facing real Americans!

by Anonymousreply 101June 22, 2018 9:03 PM

Roseanne goes into a Chik-Fil-A, and just as she places an enormous order for herself, the entire restaurant explodes in a spectacular grease fire. Roseanne survives for several weeks, her entire body blistered and oozing from the burns before she inevitably succumbs to Mister Death. The first episode will be set at her second cremation. Laughter, tears, and snark-laden memories ensue.

by Anonymousreply 102June 22, 2018 9:29 PM

I sure hope it's a HUGE success.

by Anonymousreply 103June 22, 2018 9:30 PM

6 million...so much for ABC not letting Roseanne make another dime from the show.

by Anonymousreply 104June 23, 2018 1:39 AM

Sara is really sexy.

by Anonymousreply 105June 23, 2018 2:53 AM

[QUOTE]6 million...so much for ABC not letting Roseanne make another dime from the show.

That money came from the production company, not ABC.

by Anonymousreply 106June 23, 2018 2:58 AM

Does this mean we won't be getting the Sue Heck spin-off of The Middle?

by Anonymousreply 107June 23, 2018 2:59 AM

You’re missing the fact that Goodman, Metcalf and Gilbert all had pay or play contracts for the 2nd season. ABC was paying out millions to them anyway, they might as well have given this a go.

by Anonymousreply 108June 23, 2018 7:38 AM

They don't have to do anything with the Roseanne chatactet. Every once in a while. When someone says mom, they can have a collective sad and move on. It could end up a running gag. Like What about Naomi?

by Anonymousreply 109June 23, 2018 8:15 AM

[QUOTE]You’re missing the fact that Goodman, Metcalf and Gilbert all had pay or play contracts for the 2nd season

It was only for the partial season. And it would’ve been cheaper for ABC to just cut them checks and move on.

by Anonymousreply 110June 23, 2018 10:48 AM

I think what the show needs is Dan's sister, Sandy to come in and take care of the kids and the house now that his wife has died, off camera.

by Anonymousreply 111June 23, 2018 11:57 AM

I'm free.

by Anonymousreply 112June 23, 2018 4:01 PM

Sarah Sanders would be a perfect sub for Roseanne. They wouldn't even have to get a new wardrobe.

by Anonymousreply 113June 23, 2018 5:55 PM

Roseanne developed dementia and ended up in care. Tragically, confused and frightened, she wandered out of the grounds one night and on to a nearby farm. In the dark she trips into the slurry pit, drowning in a sea of shit.

Finally, Dan is able to come to terms with his long denied homosexuality and settles down with a burly blue collar bloke around his own age.

by Anonymousreply 114June 23, 2018 5:56 PM

They'll kill her off camera, probably during her operation in Mexico.

by Anonymousreply 115June 23, 2018 5:58 PM

I'm looking forward to the scene where Dan finds Roseanne's slipper under the bed.

by Anonymousreply 116June 23, 2018 6:04 PM

Maybe Roseanne had a stroke during her surgery and is off-screen in a long-term care facility. That would have emotional and financial consequences for the family. Dan could be in denial until the last episode, when he admits that she's never coming home.

by Anonymousreply 117June 23, 2018 6:07 PM

If she’s killed off they need to write a “DAMN, DAMN, DAMN!” plate smashing scene for Goodman.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118June 23, 2018 7:44 PM

I think that John Goodman has the charisma and talent to carry a show. But now, without Roseanne, there's no need for Jackie to be hanging around the house all the time. There's no longer a connection to Leon, Nancy, and Roseanne's mom.

How might the show be saved? Bring back Ned Beatty. His 40-year-old wife left him for a younger man, he's ill and too old to chase women, so now he comes back to Lanford, hoping to find solace in the son he abandoned. Can Dan forgive him?

Actually, you what might really give the show a boost...and piss off Roseanne? Bring back Tom Arnold. Arnie tries to help his buddy cope with the loss of his wife. Dan agrees to go out on a date with a woman who's Becky's age. He feels like a fool when he has nothing in common with her. But he enjoys having other men envy him. He starts to understand his dad a little better.

by Anonymousreply 119June 23, 2018 10:03 PM

[quote] I think that John Goodman has the charisma and talent to carry a show. But now, without Roseanne, there's no need for Jackie to be hanging around the house all the time. There's no longer a connection to Leon, Nancy, and Roseanne's mom.

Uh, that's the dumbest thing I've ever read.

by Anonymousreply 120June 23, 2018 10:05 PM

"Sara is really sexy."

With that face? And that voice? She's about as sexy as an anal wart.

by Anonymousreply 121June 23, 2018 10:20 PM

I've taken sexier dumps. Sara look like she bought her teeth at a Halloween store.

by Anonymousreply 122June 23, 2018 10:23 PM

I heard they're going to have her die from surgery. She was also hooked on painkillers. Maybe she'll od...

by Anonymousreply 123June 23, 2018 10:33 PM

R120, I second that.

by Anonymousreply 124June 23, 2018 11:10 PM

R119 still had some other good ideas, such as bringing Dan’s dad back into the picture. It just goes to show that there’s many ways to keep the Conners moving forward without Roseanne (who one could argue was holding them back).

by Anonymousreply 125June 24, 2018 12:01 AM

No one will watch this

by Anonymousreply 126June 24, 2018 12:04 AM

Woke people will watch it.

by Anonymousreply 127June 24, 2018 12:33 AM

I don't think anyone will watch it.

by Anonymousreply 128June 24, 2018 2:52 AM

I will - take that [R128] .

by Anonymousreply 129June 24, 2018 2:55 AM

I'm watching.

by Anonymousreply 130June 24, 2018 3:00 AM

I didn't say I wouldn't watch it, R129. I don't expect it will do well, though.

by Anonymousreply 131June 24, 2018 3:20 AM

There were 10 million people watching it and you think they were all tuning in for Roseanne? Wtf? You realize that if the rest of the cast said no to the reboot, it wouldn’t have happened, right? Nobody wanted to see Roseanne sitting on that raggedy ass couch by herself.

by Anonymousreply 132June 24, 2018 3:46 AM

[quote]Sarah Sanders would be a perfect sub for Roseanne.

She'd also be a shoo-in for South Park. They don't even need to animate her! She's ready to go.

by Anonymousreply 133June 24, 2018 3:59 AM

Omg! She sat on Kenny!

by Anonymousreply 134June 24, 2018 4:17 AM

"There were 10 million people watching it and you think they were all tuning in for Roseanne? Wtf?"

The whole tv show revolved around her, so yes, those 10 millino people were tuning in to see her. I always found it unbelievable that this woman ever had any fans, but obviously she does (did?). I don't think a show featuring the characters of Roseanne without Roseanne is going to cut it. And it remains to be seen how they will explain her absence. One critic said the only thing to do would be to kill her off; to have her be off doing some kind of rehab or taking care of a distant relative would be SO lame.

by Anonymousreply 135June 24, 2018 5:00 AM

A lot of those 10M viewers were deplorable Trump lickers.

by Anonymousreply 136June 24, 2018 1:16 PM

And what about the millions who watched Seasons 1-8? It was a highly successful show before Trump came along, you know.

by Anonymousreply 137June 24, 2018 2:43 PM

They can't kill off the Roseanne character, so the writers will need to come up with something else.

by Anonymousreply 138June 24, 2018 3:03 PM

In France it will be titled Sans Roseanne

by Anonymousreply 139June 24, 2018 3:11 PM

They should kill off the the wife character. What could go wrong?

by Anonymousreply 140June 24, 2018 6:34 PM

Roseanne died on the way back to her home planet.

by Anonymousreply 141June 24, 2018 8:15 PM

R135 I watched and I did not watch just for Roseanne. If anything I wanted more of Darlene, Becky & DJ together but Roseanne's fat ass was always in the way. I enjoyed early seasons of the fat heffa but she disappeared up her own ass decades ago so I'll live without her.

by Anonymousreply 142June 24, 2018 8:36 PM

Stop saying you hate Trumpsters then support garbage like this.

by Anonymousreply 143June 24, 2018 8:40 PM

1. Roseanne created these characters but she won't make any money off of this?

2. They paid her 6 million dollars to walk away. She's already profited from this show.

3. She'll use this to play martyr, and Trump trash will eat it up.

4. Why should we reward Metcalfe and Goodman, who never denounced her racist statements?

Nope, not supporting this.

by Anonymousreply 144June 24, 2018 8:45 PM

1 & 2: Those 6 millions were probably owed to her anyway for anything that resulted from the cancellation. Not sure how they negotiated. Maybe they added more than they owed and went like: You get this measly amount or nothing.

I might be wrong, but even if the new show loses half of its predecessor's viewers down to 5 million, it should still be a financial success.

by Anonymousreply 145June 25, 2018 12:43 AM

Of course they will kill off Roseanne Conner. Anyone who thinks otherwise is an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 146June 25, 2018 1:11 AM

They kind of have to kill her character off. You can't have her perpetually in 'rehab'. Killing her off allows Dan and the kids to grieve, but also allows him to have other relationships, etc. Not that they'll ever make it that far. Ten episodes and she's a goner for good.

by Anonymousreply 147June 25, 2018 2:52 AM

I'm curious to see how the reboot does and how they'll explain Roseanne's absence. I'd be surprised if they killed her off though that would be the easiest way to explain why she's not around.

It's just that it's risky because what if the real Roseanne who is mentally unstable ever harmed herself? Then the writers might get blamed for making her go over the edge.

by Anonymousreply 148June 25, 2018 2:56 AM

First episode will have big numbers (as everyone tunes in to see what they do with Rosanne's character) and then it will rapidly drop-off and not be picked up.

by Anonymousreply 149June 25, 2018 2:59 AM

They should explain Roseanne's character absence as a decision, after a spiritual retreat, to commit to a lifelong vow of silence and good works for the incarcerated and improverished.

by Anonymousreply 150June 25, 2018 3:06 AM

If Roseanne has the rights to the character in perpetuity and in any other future spin-offs, how could she be killed off? She may be crazy, but she would never agree to that and didn't.

by Anonymousreply 151June 25, 2018 4:54 AM

She should die with a piece of Trump steak stuck in her throat.

by Anonymousreply 152June 25, 2018 8:05 AM

They can kill "mom" r151.

by Anonymousreply 153June 25, 2018 1:58 PM

R151, pay attention. She has zero creative input in The Conners. They can kill her off if they want.

by Anonymousreply 154June 25, 2018 2:41 PM

Actually, R154 no they cannot. It was part of the negotiations along with her payout.

by Anonymousreply 155June 25, 2018 2:44 PM

I think she should go to jail for a Uber related incident. She is caught on a video that goes viral, assault a passenger.

by Anonymousreply 156June 25, 2018 2:48 PM

[quote]I might be wrong, but even if the new show loses half of its predecessor's viewers down to 5 million, it should still be a financial success.

Exactly. I’m not sure why everyone thinks the show will flop without Roseanne whereas every show on TV doesn’t have Roseanne and many have survived.

The series just has to do okay. It doesn’t have to have the same numbers as before, and they will be pleased. “The Middle” is gone & if it can do those numbers it will be fine.

Metcalf and Goodman with the rest of the cast and the idea that they are related to Roseanne in some way will probably pull enough of an audience so the show doesn’t completely fail.

by Anonymousreply 157June 25, 2018 2:55 PM

If no spoilers leak indicating how they handle what happened to Roseanne Conner, then a huge audience will tune in for the 1st ep. Whether they can sustain it, that will depend on what the series delivers. Darlene's kids are interesting and were barely used; we never met DJ's wife, etc.

by Anonymousreply 158June 25, 2018 7:24 PM

Really, R155? You know this for a fact? I doubt that.

by Anonymousreply 159June 25, 2018 8:10 PM

I don't give a shit what you think. Isn't your break over? Back to folding those sweaters, shopbottom.

by Anonymousreply 160June 25, 2018 8:14 PM

What was the show on for four or five episodes? Rosanne is a smoking crater with legs! lol

by Anonymousreply 161June 25, 2018 8:53 PM

We want to know what happened to Mark.

by Anonymousreply 162June 25, 2018 9:02 PM

I’m going to watch this just to spite the deplorables.

R144, the characters were created by Matt Williams. She’s never had a created by credit on the show. she wasn’t even a producer until a few years into the original show.

by Anonymousreply 163June 25, 2018 9:12 PM

R160, you don’t actually KNOW so you revert to name calling. You WISH you had my yearly salary, bitch.

Roseanne has zero creative control. Roseanne Conner will be killed off in A Very Special Episode.

by Anonymousreply 164June 25, 2018 9:14 PM

Suck on THIS, R160.

It’s going to happen.

NOWHERE does it say it can’t or won’t.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165June 25, 2018 9:22 PM

I'll watch, if for no other reason than to spite Roseanne and the deplorables, but I don't think it will be any good. The reboot was already kind of mediocre and I can't imagine it being better without her. Despite her real-life awfulness, Roseanne has real charisma as this character. The Dan, Jackie, Becky and Darlene characters aren't as compelling without her to bounce off of (just as Roseanne the character isn't as interesting without them). Goodman and Metcalf seemed to be kind of half-assing it this time around, and Goranson and Gilbert are not as good actors as they were as teenagers, so I can't picture any of them really stepping up and making this work.

If they keep the focus around Darlene's children with the rest just making small appearances for continuity, that might work. Harris, a carbon copy of her mom as a teenager, struggles to find her place in small town Lanford but without her mom's advantage of having grown up there. And her little brother similarly dealing with fitting in because of his gender nonconformity. Both are used to a more liberal and accepting Chicago environment and are now in deplorable central.

by Anonymousreply 166June 25, 2018 9:29 PM

Spite them??LOL!! It's their show at this point. Don't use that as a bullshit justification.

by Anonymousreply 167June 26, 2018 3:45 AM

R165, because Vulture knows the terms of her contract.

You suck on your mother's clit, cretin.

by Anonymousreply 168June 26, 2018 5:46 AM

R168, that was some pointed bitchery.

BRAVO

by Anonymousreply 169June 26, 2018 6:33 AM

Kill off Roseanne in a sleazy Mexican border town dental chair.

by Anonymousreply 170June 26, 2018 6:54 AM

I remember how they killed off Charlie Sheen's character in Two and a Half Men.

by Anonymousreply 171June 26, 2018 1:31 PM

Hillary has nothing to do really. Have her move in with the Connors as a former First Lady and failed presidential candidate. Hilarity ensues.

by Anonymousreply 172June 27, 2018 9:47 AM

They can do something like pick the storyline up a year after Roseanne dies. That way they don't have to deal directly with the death, but deal with where things are at a year or so later. Then they don't have to directly use her name - make references to when 'mom died', etc., for a couple episodes, then carry on.

by Anonymousreply 173June 28, 2018 2:36 AM

They can’t kill Roseanne Connor the character off the show. Roseanne maintained the rights to the character in her settlement with ABC/Disney. So she will decide how her character leaves the show.

by Anonymousreply 174June 28, 2018 2:40 AM

Thanks R174. That's exactly what I was told directly from someone at ABC and posted.

by Anonymousreply 175June 28, 2018 2:46 AM

So then they go with the Sunny Von Bulow storyline and 'Roseanne' lives out her final years as a vegetable in a state-run institution in Moline.

by Anonymousreply 176June 28, 2018 2:59 AM

R173, that is a great idea. Proven to work, too.

by Anonymousreply 177June 28, 2018 8:51 AM

Who said Hollywood is original, R177? No matter how you cut it, the fact is there will be those who won't watch because of Roseanne getting fired (i.e. her deplorables). I think with Kevin James, what turned people off is the move seemed a bit calculated and cold - if they wanted to reboot King of Queens, then do that. But I guess we'll see if the same thing happens to Roseanne. It won't matter if they kill her off, or make her comatose, etc., they're still getting rid of her. How the writers handle it may make the difference between how The Conners succeeds versus how Kevin James' show did (didn't).

by Anonymousreply 178June 28, 2018 9:57 AM

They can write it like she never existed. No mention whatsoever.

by Anonymousreply 179June 28, 2018 3:23 PM

R174- how do you know that? I can't find the details of the financial settlement anywhere. There are quotes from ABC that she will have no creative control over The Connors.

by Anonymousreply 180June 28, 2018 8:44 PM

Of course they aren't going to kill off her character. And Roseanne wouldn't have been stupid enough to give up control of what happens to her character when a few years from now she might be able to cash in again.

There are a myriad of ways they can deal with where Roseanne is. Asylum like Dan's mom, sounds fair. All they need to do is address where she is once and then just never bring her up again. Opening scene of them coming back from dropping Roseanne off for rehab. Sad. What's for dinner?

And then she's never mentioned again.

Or they could just do a running gag about where Roseanne is.

In the car. In bed. Taking a shit.

Another option could be to address it head on by setting the show in a different location. Darlene has moved out because Roseanne did something heinous and Drumpfian to one of her kids and it severs their relationship. Dad comes over frequently to try to get Darlene to patch things up, but Darlene won't. So Jackie, Becky, DJ, etc just go over to Darlene's.

by Anonymousreply 181June 28, 2018 9:11 PM

So Roseanne wasn't supposed to have any "artistic" connection to the show anymore, not was she supposed to profit in any way. Fucking ABC racist bullshit artists. She's deciding what happens on the show and she will make multi millions from it.

I like General Hospital and Modern Family and Blackish on ABC but fuck it. I'm going to stop watching that network altogether and find a way if I can get it removed from my cable package. I feel bad about not watching Blackish, but I can't take the ABC lies.

by Anonymousreply 182June 29, 2018 1:15 AM

R174 is lying. That is NOT the case. They can kill off Roseanne Conner any time they want to. She has ZERO creative input and killing off Roseanne Connor would be a creative decision.

by Anonymousreply 183June 29, 2018 1:25 AM

Maybe they'll have Roseanne just abruptly leave her family to go "find herself." That's how they disposed of Mackenzie Phillip's character Julie on "One Day At A Time."

by Anonymousreply 184June 29, 2018 2:00 AM

Fuck ABC, Gilbert, and the delusions they have of a grand show. The reboot sucked shit.

by Anonymousreply 185June 29, 2018 3:02 AM

Expect the new storyline to be at once ham handed and Jewish, reflecting the puerile reaction itself.

by Anonymousreply 186June 29, 2018 4:15 AM

R180 R 183. You clearly didn’t search much to find that info. But since you’re pretending to search look at the recent store with The Hollywood Reporter. The breakdown is there including her getting the rights to her character. I could’ve provided the link but I wanted to give you something else to complain about. Lol

by Anonymousreply 187June 29, 2018 5:10 AM

They can have her do what my schizophrenic aunt did - disappear for a year and be picked up wandering a highway in the New Mexican desert having had all of her teeth with fillings because she was worried about mercury.

by Anonymousreply 188June 29, 2018 5:21 AM

^ teeth pulled

by Anonymousreply 189June 29, 2018 5:22 AM

Roseanne maintained the rights to her character Roseanne Connor. Wonder if another network would pick her up to create a show? Hmmm

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 190June 29, 2018 5:34 AM

They could add Roseanne to Tim Allen's show. Maybe throw in Patty Heaton and Kelsey Grammar. Heck, why not Chuck Norris and John Schneider, too. Fox can go fuck themselves for reviving Allen's show and canceling 'The Mick', which was the best comedy on TV.

by Anonymousreply 191June 29, 2018 5:43 AM

The you can just say Jerry (her other son) is having problems and she went to visit him.

by Anonymousreply 192June 29, 2018 6:51 AM

They can**

by Anonymousreply 193June 29, 2018 7:06 AM

Are sisters Sara and Melissa Gilbert cordial? They're both kind of fug.

by Anonymousreply 194June 29, 2018 7:06 AM

Archie Bunker's Place was still a hit for CBS even when they killed off Jean Stapelton - at her request.

by Anonymousreply 195June 29, 2018 9:11 AM

They can always have her just go upstairs and never be seen or heard from again. I hear that works, too.

by Anonymousreply 196June 29, 2018 5:26 PM

"Archie Bunker's Place was still a hit for CBS even when they killed off Jean Stapelton - at her request."

I remember that show. It was a piece of shit. I think people watched it because the character of Archie Bunker was so popular. But the show was dull and unfunny.

by Anonymousreply 197June 29, 2018 9:10 PM

Remember those two god awful nieces Archie had. Actually IMO AIF sucked in 1978 when Mike and Gloria left. It was never the same but went to a new level of sucking after Edith died.

As for Roseanne, I didn't watch the reboot and have no intention of watching whatever piece of crap they plan on doing. ABC said they would not reward her racism and they already have to the tune of millions.

by Anonymousreply 198June 30, 2018 12:44 AM

R198 Exactly, she didn't turn racist with one tweet. They knew what she was before they offered her millions to come back to tv. It's just now the cat's out of the bag in a spectacular way, they have to act appalled and dismayed.

by Anonymousreply 199June 30, 2018 12:50 AM

R199 that's my issue with Sara Gilbert. Don't act appalled and offended NOW. You knew what she had become for years and you still decided to do what you could to get the show back on. Sara is just as bad as Roseanne and shouldn't be rewarded.

by Anonymousreply 200June 30, 2018 4:50 AM

If Roseanne has the rights to her character - she still has control on how they handle her characters absence

by Anonymousreply 201June 30, 2018 5:03 AM

For all the speculative entertainment lawyers here, I cannot wait to see how they negotiate this.

by Anonymousreply 202June 30, 2018 5:16 AM

[quote]r196 They can always have her just go upstairs and never be seen or heard from again.

Maybe she sits on a sofa in another room so long she gets fused to it?

Eventually you hear them breaking down a wall to cart her out.

by Anonymousreply 203June 30, 2018 6:07 AM

In Grounded for Life, the actor who played the youngest kid was taken off the show when his parents moved across country. The show just pretended he was outside it around somewhere to the very end..

by Anonymousreply 204June 30, 2018 10:56 AM

Maybe they could take a cue from the soap operas, ugh, and just say that she went to Chicago. No explanation, to return, just went to Chicago.

by Anonymousreply 205June 30, 2018 5:45 PM

Make Dan a widow and have his old flame Phyllis come back into his life. Swoosie Kurtz would be a good Phyllis. She'd actually be a good addition to this show. Too bad she's on the Matt Leblanc shitfest.

by Anonymousreply 206July 21, 2018 2:44 AM

Pretend the last season was a dream too.

by Anonymousreply 207July 21, 2018 2:55 AM

Wasn't Phyllis played by Vicki Laurence? Have her move in with Bubba. He's still hot.

by Anonymousreply 208July 21, 2018 3:57 AM

[quote]Make Dan a widow

Oh, dear!

Now you want Dan to become a woman?

by Anonymousreply 209July 21, 2018 10:34 AM

Anyone watch it?

by Anonymousreply 210October 18, 2018 5:05 AM

Love it.

The porch scene was Eugene O'Neill in Illinois.

Jackie was doing Ionesco in the kitchen, and Mary Steenburgen should get a guest Emmy for the intense sadness, grief and guilt.

POIGNANT!

by Anonymousreply 211October 18, 2018 5:09 AM

r201, ABC cashed her out to go away. Something like $30M.

The Mouse owns Roseanne.

by Anonymousreply 212October 18, 2018 5:10 AM

Roseanne’s rabbi issued a statement that she wasn’t happy about getting killed off as a drug addict...hahaha

by Anonymousreply 213October 18, 2018 5:16 AM

Looking forward to Episode 2

by Anonymousreply 214October 20, 2018 3:22 PM

Was tonight episode #2? My mom had it in and I watched a few minutes.

Sara Gilbert and John Goodman look like death warmed over. There are way too many characters. Is Darlene supposed to be the main character now? Terrible.

by Anonymousreply 215October 24, 2018 1:58 AM

Sara Gilbert isn't aging well. Lecy Goranson seems to have Ralph Macchio syndrome.

by Anonymousreply 216October 24, 2018 2:15 AM

r215, can we say ensemble?

by Anonymousreply 217October 24, 2018 2:23 AM

Nobody watched last night?

by Anonymousreply 218October 24, 2018 5:02 PM

I was hoping that they’d get away from the “Too many characters” syndrome.

by Anonymousreply 219October 24, 2018 5:21 PM

r219, now that it is The Connors, the standard winnowing of focus begins.

It will probably shift around a bit, but lookout if Dan starts dating.

EVERYONE on this show has a new beginning.

Now that David has hooked up with Blue, I really want them to die in a grease fire.

But I do admire how Galecki moves so seamlessly from Leonard to David.

What makes The Connors so intriguing is that there are so many GREAT actors in the cast.

by Anonymousreply 220October 24, 2018 5:35 PM

I’m glad that the ratings are still doing well. Close to 8 million, which is far better than what ABC had on there before. So it’s got legs and the Deplorables won’t be able to say it was canceled after Roseanne left.

by Anonymousreply 221October 24, 2018 6:05 PM

Sara Gilbert has pulled off the coup of the century and I have nothing but admiration for her. How long before she lets out a huge, loud cackle at the end of the opening credits?

I really enjoyed it, don’t miss Roseanne at all - the writers are obviously still mining her humour through the other characters so there’s no loss unless you actually miss her poor delivery. I like Lecy Goransen, even Michael Fishman seems to know his place as the village idiot.

I’ll keep watching for sure.

I have R215 blocked. Must be a shitbag of some kind.

by Anonymousreply 222October 25, 2018 7:58 AM

big mistake.

by Anonymousreply 223October 25, 2018 8:00 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!