Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Queer Classic: 1988—When Kylie Minogue Goes Totally Loco

It’s been 30 years since your first album, Kylie, was released. What do you think of it now?

Five years down the line I probably wanted to run as far from it as possible. But about five years after that, I was having the best time performing “The Loco-Motion” again. When I think of Kylie, I think of a really young girl. Everything was new to me.

How have you changed as an artist since?

It takes to time solidify your industry presence and learn who you are. One quote I love is: “There’s no shortcut to learning your craft.” Now I can call up a singer like Nick Cave, or ask Bono if he’ll sing with me onstage. Now I write and know how to put a show together. I’m 50, not 21. My experiences are reflected in my work.

For your new album, Golden, was it tricky to meld a Nashville sound with the dance pop people expect from you?

Oh, yeah. We definitely looked for that country influence, but we were aware that I’m not a country artist. During recording, we’d say, “Not enough banjo! Put a fiddle in there!” The key thing was, it had to sound like a Kylie record, but with an extra flavor.

What’s it like to be at a point in your career when you can take that risk?

I’ll never make an album that’s a carbon copy of another, and not everyone gets these chances. To try something new 30 years into my career is mind-blowing.

What do you think the young woman who made Kylie would think of Golden?

I think she’d enjoy it and feel empowered by it. And have it in her cassette collection.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 0June 21, 2018 9:53 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!