Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Dilemma.

I'm Canadian and have a trip planned to the US planned for the fall. I was planning on taking my mother to NY (I've been several times, this would be her first visit) to see a few shows and show her around NYC. Everything is booked and paid for already, but with everything happening, I don't feel right about visiting the US.

I don't mean to offend, and I have no problems with Americans, I love New York and believe it's the best city in the world, but over the last few weeks, (starting with Trump's behavior at the G7 and even more now with the children being detained) I can't shake the feeling that it'd be wrong to visit and spend money in the US while it's under control of the orange one.

I've been mulling it over to the point where I'm getting stressed out. I paid for the trip to treat my mom, and she's looking forward to it, I know she'd be upset if I canceled it, which brings me to another issue. We have cancellation insurance, but obviously I wouldn't get any refund because I decided not to go.

I'm torn. If I cancel the trip I'll be out a lot of money and I'll upset my mother. She's 73 but still very healthy and active, but who knows for how much longer? On the other hand, ugh...it just doesn't feel right. I'm torn.

Thoughts?

(yeah, I know, get a blog)

by Anonymousreply 24June 21, 2018 8:09 AM

Good God, you can't be serious.

by Anonymousreply 1June 21, 2018 6:21 AM

Actually, many people are canceling plans to travel to the US, R1.

by Anonymousreply 2June 21, 2018 6:25 AM

This message has been paid for by the Liberal Party of Canada

by Anonymousreply 3June 21, 2018 6:26 AM

I totally follow your reasoning, OP, BUT, as you say, everything is already paid for. So you wouldn't be having much impact simply by not coming, and you'd disappoint your mother. Besides, your time and money would be spend in New York, which hates Trump as much as you do.

Better to take this trip, and find a different way to express your disapproval of Mango Mussolini.

by Anonymousreply 4June 21, 2018 6:28 AM

If your mom really wants to go and you don’t and the trip is already paid for, let her go and she can bring a friend.

by Anonymousreply 5June 21, 2018 6:29 AM

Be careful, OP.

DHS will probably steal you from your mama and throw you in a walmart with a piece of tinfoil.

by Anonymousreply 6June 21, 2018 6:29 AM

I am, R1.

I am a proud Liberal, R3, thanks. You must be a fan of Scheer and Ford.

by Anonymousreply 7June 21, 2018 6:30 AM

Oh, look more gab losers to chime in. You guys are so funeeee.

by Anonymousreply 8June 21, 2018 6:30 AM

r2, they cancel BEFORE they shell out the money on nonrefundable expenses.

OP, take the trip. You've already spent the money. The US has already benefitted, and if you don't come, the hotels will just rerent your room and make more money. To prove your point, just spend the bare minimum while here so you don't have too horrible a time.

by Anonymousreply 9June 21, 2018 6:30 AM

Trips to NY, shows, sightseeing, cancellation insurance...it's just dreadful being you, isn't it, OP?

And those awful Deplorables, ruining your breakfast.

by Anonymousreply 10June 21, 2018 6:30 AM

I'd go, good points raised here. Thanks for even trying to post. Have fun.

by Anonymousreply 11June 21, 2018 6:33 AM

My mom, at 79, is now feeling too old to visit the city, and that's really heartbreaking, because it was something she loved doing for DECADES.

Why allow deplorables and trump the chance to show off how great a great city is?

by Anonymousreply 12June 21, 2018 6:37 AM

I'd go OP. You'll be giving your tourism $$ to average Americans and most of them are wonderful people. I'm Canadian too but I have a lot of American friends and family who voted for Hilary.

by Anonymousreply 13June 21, 2018 6:40 AM

R1 if you take a look at the world beyond your square state and (here’s a stretch) beyond the United States you will discover that intelligent people with an international outlook often make decisions about not travelling to countries with a regime to which they feel they cannot provide tacit support by spending their travel dollars there. Others make that decision based on no longer feeling safe there.

I have been travelling to the USA at least annually all my adult life and lived there twice as a kid - I won’t be back until there is regime change there. Of course you’ll dismiss that as the decision of a liberal, which you would see as an insult but which is a label that I’m proud to own.

He is your Head of State - you have to live with the shame of that. It is only going to get worse.

by Anonymousreply 14June 21, 2018 6:40 AM

I'm not sure if that's possible, R5, not after everything is booked and the ticket is in my name. Even if it is, I don't think she'd want to go with someone else.

Thanks, R4, good advice and I'm somewhat comforted because NY isn't a red state. My mom and I are close, she's been my rock my entire life, and I've always raved about NYC to her, so decided to pay us to go together as a sort of token of appreciation.

It's not even so much about spending the money or supporting the economy, though that's part of it. I know the locals in NY who would benefit from my tourist dollars aren't to blame for any of this mess and I have no beef with them. For me, it's almost an immoral feeling - like visiting a country with a human rights abuser/dictator as it's leader, and by going there for a holiday, I'm normalizing that.

Assuming most of you are American, would you visit the US right now if you were from elsewhere?

What's your point, R10?

by Anonymousreply 15June 21, 2018 6:52 AM

If I had already booked my ticket and I was going to New York, then yes, I'd go. Other than that? On principle, no. It's for your mom, though. Have fun, there's a lot to do in NYC.

by Anonymousreply 16June 21, 2018 6:57 AM

Really, OP, you didn't consider this BEFORE you booked? The monster has been in charge, and committing atrocities, for a while now, and definitely long before you booked your trip. As things stand, just go. You're supporting NYC where most people hate him anyway; it's not like you're spending $$$ in Alabama.

by Anonymousreply 17June 21, 2018 7:00 AM

Go. Travel with your mother while you can. She is looking forward to it. You will be helping liberal NY's economy, not Trump. Political friction will exist worldwide for years. Go before there is actual war.

by Anonymousreply 18June 21, 2018 7:06 AM

It's ridiculous to change any vacation planned with your older mother based on a fucking 4-8 year regime. Mom's not getting any younger. Don't be dumb, see a couple great shows and have a blast.

by Anonymousreply 19June 21, 2018 7:08 AM

I booked about a month ago to go to NY (from London) and it will be my first visit to the US for many years. As R17 and 18 say, it’s New York. I had some of the same thoughts as OP but I also don’t want to let the US regime prevent me from seeing my friends in NY and living my life. And I’ve been to other countries with questionable human rights records and unpleasant leaders, so why stop now.

by Anonymousreply 20June 21, 2018 7:11 AM

OP, you should go for the reason stated above by other posters.

While you are in NY make your contribution:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21June 21, 2018 7:19 AM

[quote]First we flipped off Trump then these tourists did

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22June 21, 2018 7:19 AM

Are you uncut like most Canadians?

by Anonymousreply 23June 21, 2018 7:46 AM

Don't let the terrorists win.

by Anonymousreply 24June 21, 2018 8:09 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!