Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Kylie Minogue on the First Time She Realized She Was a Gay Icon

"It happened without me knowing it," Minogue tells Billboard, explaining she became aware of her intense LGBTQ following in the late '80s while visiting Sydney's so-called "Gay Golden Mile."

"I was in Sydney and there's a famous bar on Oxford Street called the Albury, and at the time it was the gay bar in the gay area in Sydney. I was in the car, my manager was in the car with me along with a couple other people, and someone said 'there's Kylie Night at the Albury tonight.' And I was like 'What?!' I'd never heard of a Kylie Night, but I said 'We should go! We should go!' At the time, I'd done an ad for Coca-Cola, and someone said, 'Ohhh I think someone has gone as a Coke can,'" she recalls, laughing. "There weren't that many versions of me then, I'm talking 1989 or '90. Now there's tons of them -- choose a look. But I'm the least Kylie person when I'm at any of those nights. I looked like they should not have let me in."

Since then, Kylie's given us more than enough looks to populate an entire bar without repeats, and her gay fan base has only grown.

"That's the first moment I can remember where it was a thing, and it's been a thing ever since -- which is incredible," she says.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 0June 21, 2018 6:11 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!