Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Rectify star Aden Young draws on his own sense of alienation

Actor Aden Young always felt like an outsider.

Even when he first encountered acting, he was sure he didn't belong.

Born in Canada, his family moved to Australia when he was nine. "My mother is Australian. She would tell us about Australia. She was drowning in nostalgia," he says.

"My father was an American in Canada, and he didn't have any next-of-kin and we went over (to Australia) for this holiday. My father stayed in Canada to work. We had the time of our life. But he got very ill, and they decided it would be best if we all moved to Australia, and he came out to check it out – of course this was all unbeknownst to us. We were just having a holiday."

The family never went back. It was a shock to Young and his four siblings to learn they wouldn't even return for their things. "I held on to my Canadian identity out of spite," he says, sitting straight in his chair, "because if you don't let me go back I'm not going to let it go. I held on to it, it was a case of, 'You're not going to take that too'."

Young's sense of alienation has proven perfect for his role as Daniel Holden in Rectify

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12June 24, 2018 10:42 AM

I absolutely loved that series and he was brilliant in it. Watched an entire season on a long haul flight.

by Anonymousreply 1June 21, 2018 6:10 AM

The guy was pretty 20 years ago .

But it must be embarrassing having to regurgitate all this sentimental personal baloney for the delectation of brain-dear TV watchers now when he's middle-aged.

by Anonymousreply 2June 21, 2018 6:18 AM

Obviously he never got over it, and he probably hates Australia.

by Anonymousreply 3June 21, 2018 6:53 AM

R3 He was happy to take Australian welfare and government subsidies for decades.

by Anonymousreply 4June 21, 2018 7:04 AM

Is the show worth watching? I’m looking for a new—hopefully good— show to take my mind off some real life things (in other words, a really engrossing show), but everyone on DL seems to describe “Rectify” as “depressing”.

Is it worth it and just really serious, or is it *so* depressing that I’ll just feel terrible after watching it?

by Anonymousreply 5June 21, 2018 9:23 AM

[quote]Is the show worth watching?

totally

by Anonymousreply 6June 21, 2018 9:42 AM

I'll have two serves of that alienation, if I may.

by Anonymousreply 7June 21, 2018 9:47 AM

He never showed his penis properly.

by Anonymousreply 8June 22, 2018 11:18 PM

Rectify is quite possibly one of the best shows ever. Aden Young is so good. Everyone is. But don't believe me. Here is The New Yorker's review

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9June 22, 2018 11:22 PM

R7 Sorry but all you deserve is starvation and AIDS.

by Anonymousreply 10June 22, 2018 11:28 PM

I want to know what he thinks of Clayne Crawford and if he actually enjoyed choking him out and pouring coffee grinds up his ass

by Anonymousreply 11June 22, 2018 11:34 PM

One of best tv shows ever

by Anonymousreply 12June 24, 2018 10:42 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!