Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Rupert Everett felt 'lucky' as director on The Happy Prince

Rupert Everett said he felt lucky to work with such an amazing cast, which includes Colin Firth and Colin Morgan, on The Happy Prince, the film about Oscar Wilde he stars in, directed and wrote the screenplay for.

"I love Oscar Wilde, and I think I've always had a great time with him," Everett told RTÉ Entertainment. "I remember very very well my mum reading me Oscar Wilde's Fairy Stories when I was a child, to then performing Wilde plays."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9October 23, 2018 3:15 PM

I've just bought this on DVD and started watching it. It's really great. Everett's performance as Wilde is in a different league to Stephen Fry's, who never seemed to fill the role out with any kind of humanity. Great cast.

by Anonymousreply 1October 23, 2018 2:28 PM

Looks too sad for me. Can't face it.

by Anonymousreply 2October 23, 2018 2:30 PM

Where did you get the DVD R1?

by Anonymousreply 3October 23, 2018 2:42 PM

r3 Sainsburys. It's being sold in all the supermarkets here (in the UK), as well as the usual outlets. It is a sad film, given it focuses on Wilde's final years, but that's all offset by the humanity. Everett doesn't shy away from the sex, drugs and booze, but doesn't overdo any of that, either. There's a lot of beauty in the way it's told. It's impressive cinematically, too. Lots of beautiful touches and surprising ideas....

by Anonymousreply 4October 23, 2018 2:49 PM

Stephen Fry was too much of a fat fuck to play Oscar Wilde who was never obese. Rupert Everett with padding looks more like him.

by Anonymousreply 5October 23, 2018 2:53 PM

The only naff thing about the DVD is the one extra on it: "The Making of The Happy Prince", which I was expecting to be short, but maybe 10 minutes or so. It's 96 seconds. 96 seconds!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6October 23, 2018 2:59 PM

Well....the "extra" is really just a trailer but it certainly made me want to see the film.

by Anonymousreply 7October 23, 2018 3:09 PM

[quote]"The Making of The Happy Prince", which I was expecting to be short, but maybe 10 minutes or so. It's 96 seconds. 96 seconds!!!

what a swizz!

by Anonymousreply 8October 23, 2018 3:11 PM

This could be Rupert's finest hour. Looking forward to it.

by Anonymousreply 9October 23, 2018 3:15 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!